Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I'm a mega fan of GoT, Vikings and Hell on Wheels. We follow Criminal Minds quite faithfully along with Gotham and mini series like Under the Dome or Sleepy Hollow. I have zero hope that Pratt and crew could ever measure up. ***sigh***

Mmmm, as I've mentioned before, I've watched Coronation Street for centuries. On Netflix and iTunes, other UK shows I really enjoy--Doc Martin [Photofox watches that, too], George Gently, Lewis [& Endeavour],Death in Paradise, and probably some others. I've just picked up on iTunes The Worricker Trilogy with Bill Nighy [and everyone else, including Christopher Walken]--it's excellent.

Standard network TV I gave up on a while ago--I wish there were something I liked...I'm the curmudgeon who loathes CDN TV, so no Murdoch for me. I occasionally try one of those historical-fiction things, like Wolf Hall , but gave up when I kept falling asleep. I'm HVIII'd out, even if I were a history buff.

I'm not sure what the damn raccoons watch--probably Days, when I'm not looking. With any luck, pest control may come next week.

Great topic suggestion, Capricasix, thank you!

• Love 1

Heck yeah!  How could I forget Wolf Hall?  I haven't read the books, but I have always been fascinated with the Tudors, going all the way back to the PBS series in the early seventies and have read many books on the subject.  I also watch a lot of Criminal Minds (go Dr. Reid!).  And the there's The Lizzie Borden Chronicles, just campy fun.  I used to really like Sleepy Hollow, but I think they really fucked up this last season. YMMV.  Great topic Capricasix!

• Love 3

I'm addicted to Bates Motel and American Horror Story, but they had their finales so now I'm really into The Artful Detective (Murdoch Mysteries to all you Canadian Preverts).

If you like Yannick Bisson (I loves him), try to find a series called Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye. Based on a true story, it's about a deaf FBI agent and the cases that she works on. Yannick Bisson plays Sue's boss (and eventual love interest IIRC). The real Sue Thomas had a small guest role on one episode. The series was on about 10 years ago - it was pretty good.

• Love 1

Heck yeah!  How could I forget Wolf Hall?  I haven't read the books, but I have always been fascinated with the Tudors, going all the way back to the PBS series in the early seventies and have read many books on the subject.  I also watch a lot of Criminal Minds (go Dr. Reid!).  And the there's The Lizzie Borden Chronicles, just campy fun.  I used to really like Sleepy Hollow, but I think they really fucked up this last season. YMMV.  Great topic Capricasix!

Yes Sleepy Hollow did fuck up but at least they figured it and dealt with it.

I want to try Penny Dreadful on Netflix. Eva Green and Josh Brolin are in it. One of my boys enjoyed it. Wolf Hall was very interesting for me. The books were a struggle at times.

• Love 1

If you like Yannick Bisson (I loves him), try to find a series called Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye. Based on a true story, it's about a deaf FBI agent and the cases that she works on. Yannick Bisson plays Sue's boss (and eventual love interest IIRC). The real Sue Thomas had a small guest role on one episode. The series was on about 10 years ago - it was pretty good.

Thanks, I'll look for it!

(edited)

When it comes to comedies I love 30 Rock and Arrested Development and Parks and Recreation. I also watch many (too many) reality shows but my faves of my tv watching life were I Love NY (both seasons were amazingly hilarious) and A-List (2 seasons) and A- List: Dallas which were deliciously snarky.

Edited by Petunia13

You may have missed out on his TV debut on Toronto stations--he did a ton of Bank of Commerce ads--my daughter used to call him "Mr Aggressive Bum."

I forgot my most recent binge-watch on Netflix--Bloodline--amazing, and I discovered Ben Mendelsohn, who steals the series. Give it a try--shot on location in the Florida Keys, and a big story.

Used to catch Masterchef Canada, but I lost track of it, and I find Food Network Canada is just competition shows now, rather than actual cooking shows, so there went that--and we cook! And on the total trash front, I occasionally [that's a lie] catch at least half of Dr Phil, but I don't like myself for it. I just sit there and get pissed or angry at whomever the offending/stupid party is.

I like to watch Anna and Kristina shopping bags and Anna and Kristina grocery bags on the OWN network.. A & K are based in Vancouver but they travel all over.  I enjoy the "grocery bags" cause they do cookbooks. they decide on a cookbook and then prepare recipes from it and then have a chef come in and taste the recipes and grade them on how they turned out by following the recipes exactly.  They also compare different cooking utensils and appliances that are called for in the recipes.

• Love 1

I love The Blacklist, but would not be interested in it if not for James Spader. He is my kryptonite, he makes me weak.

True story - my younger son (I have two boys) is named for James Spader's character (Daniel Jackson) in the Stargate franchise. Actually, it was more because of the TV series Stargate SG-1, but the way it happened was that I was about eight months pregnant and we hadn't chosen a first name for a boy, and we were watching SG-1 one night, and my husband said "Hey, how about Daniel?" And I said, "I like it!" And so it was :) (I continue to have a giant crush on Michael Shanks, who played Daniel Jackson in SG-1.)

You may have missed out on his TV debut on Toronto stations--he did a ton of Bank of Commerce ads--my daughter used to call him "Mr Aggressive Bum."

Oh garsh, I remember those ads! I actually remember his first big role, when he was a kid - he was in a movie called "Pray For Me, Paul Henderson".

• Love 2

I like to watch Anna and Kristina shopping bags and Anna and Kristina grocery bags on the OWN network.. A & K are based in Vancouver but they travel all over. I enjoy the "grocery bags" cause they do cookbooks. they decide on a cookbook and then prepare recipes from it and then have a chef come in and taste the recipes and grade them on how they turned out by following the recipes exactly. They also compare different cooking utensils and appliances that are called for in the recipes.

That sounds like a cool theme for a cooking show. I used to be friends with a chef who used a very scientific approach to cooking who recently passed away Homaru Cantu. He treated each thing he prepared as a experiment and saw food in a very fun and exciting way. I believe he was on Iron Chef a few x.

• Love 1

We pulled the plug on satellite about a year ago and I found that after giving up my favorites (Blacklist, Once Upon a Time) I didn't really miss them all that much. Mostly we watched news or child oriented programs which can both be found elsewhere for a lot less money. I began watching Y&R online and really kept watching it out of habit mostly. With sports and school activities there isn't much time to dedicate to shows and I've honestly not missed television one bit. If I get an urge to watch something there's the show and if I'm particularly disenchanted there's Netflix. 

I thought Broadchurch, The Fall, The Paradise and The Tudors were all very good. I've contemplated watching Lost over again since it's on there now too but I find my level of commitment wanes when the series is lengthy. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It's from the movie Friday. But Cookie on Empire says it too. I have a coworker who thankfully only works Sundays who says it and other stupid expressions loudly over and over all day. She starting to remind me of a loud ass parrot that is drunk.

joimia I owe you a coke ;) jinx

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 4

Threads that get 10 or more new pages a day I can't keep up with. Especially on one particular show and there's all these new pages constantly but the same people saying the same stuff, like daily for years.

Is that 90 kids and counting show good?

Threads that get 10 or more new pages a day I can't keep up with. Especially on one particular show and there's all these new pages constantly but the same people saying the same stuff, like daily for years.

NO!  LOL Sex scandal going on right now!  It is very repetitive! 

I watch the Real Housewives shows and that's a big commitment especially since there's multiple versions and different castmembers each year on each of them and all the threads have some good previously tv posters to keep up with.

Funny of all the versions of real housewives shows my favorite housewife was one who was only on one season on one show, Lydia on the OC. She was amazing. Then I like Kenya who is divisive but hilarious on the ATL.

Reality tv is like soaps but not as good, my first tv love is soaps and their viewers : )

LOL  I watch a lot of the TLC channel and enjoy most of what I watch, however I don't watch as many now.

I quit watching "long island medium" cause Theresa caputo is a fake and has her assistants talk to the people beforehand,

Used to like "breaking amish" then I found out it was scripted.

Enjoyed 19 kids and counting then this sex scandal erupted now it is off.

Sure hope nothing goes wrong with "little couple" or "say yes to the dress".

I don't know, I've never seen it.  I only know about the Duggars from magazine covers at the supermarket.  I'm allergic to fundie whackjobs.

• Love 4

Make that a double, PlaT, and pass the communion wine. With a daughter training to be a theologian, and currently studying what amounts to flavours of fundamentalist Protestantism, this stuff gives me screaming hives.

• Love 4

I don't know if this belongs here or anywhere else for that matter, but does anyone out there know about the genesis of the (IMO, loathsome) phrase that keeps insinuating itself into every conversation and falling from every reporter's lips:  "...we/I tried to reach out to [insert name, entity's name, etc.]? 

I guess I'm just an old crank, but I truly hate this fake touchy-feely load of crap. Where did it come from and why has it invaded the vocabulary of supposedly educated professional journalists and every customer service rep on the planet?

• Love 2

Just wanted to give a shout out to all you Preverts I've seen up in the Duggar threads.  Jeez, what a train wreck.

All right. I tried three episodes on iTunes, and there's three time-slots in my life I won't get back. This is not some wholesome, slightly wacky warm reality show about the hijinks and logistics of working with that many offspring. It's fking ham-fisted propagandizing. Eugh.

JMO, apologies, if required.

• Love 3

All right. I tried three episodes on iTunes, and there's three time-slots in my life I won't get back. This is not some wholesome, slightly wacky warm reality show about the hijinks and logistics of working with that many offspring. It's fking ham-fisted propagandizing. Eugh.

JMO, apologies, if required.

I too find them horrifying.  The girls are basically taught that they are worthless and that men are the only ones that matter.  And they all seem to be under Jim Bob's thumb.  *shudder*

• Love 3

Not to mention that they can't even hold hands with their fiancé(e)s before marriage, and then bam! As soon as they're married, they're pregnant. Gross.

Well, so long as JimBob doesn't step in for that part of the proceedings...

• Love 2

Hey guys! Just a note to make sure you keep the Duggar talk over in that forum. And I know it goes without saying that if you can't say it over there you can't say it over here either! :D

YL8wye5.jpg

Here's a hedgeyhog for the Small Talk thread instead of the usual bunny. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't know if this belongs here or anywhere else for that matter, but does anyone out there know about the genesis of the (IMO, loathsome) phrase that keeps insinuating itself into every conversation and falling from every reporter's lips: "...we/I tried to reach out to [insert name, entity's name, etc.]?

I guess I'm just an old crank, but I truly hate this fake touchy-feely load of crap. Where did it come from and why has it invaded the vocabulary of supposedly educated professional journalists and every customer service rep on the planet?

When I was a kid, I remember the commercials for Bell Telephone or AT&T had the slogan, "Reach out and touch someone." But I'm really not sure if that is what put the phrase in circulation or if it was already in use at the time.

And isn't there a Diana Ross song along those same lines? Reach out and touch somebody's hand...(That probably predates the commercial.)

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 1

I think because its a more vague way of saying contact which is more direct. Like reaching out could be an email, left a message on voice mail or with another party, a call that was unanswered, a letter, ect. But tried to contact seems more proactive. Like if I am trying to contact someone I'd use every method possible but if I'm reaching out I may do one or two and all it a day. A hospital or cop do anything to contact people in a situation, a person looking for a sound bite or extending condolences reaches out.

Does that make sense?

• Love 2

Lol, I was just checking out the forum on the Site Which We Do Not Name and posters were complaining about posting issues asked if there was another site with a Y&R forum.  Another posted suggested this one, but warned that it wasn't for the timid!  Yes, we're all nasty little trolls I guess.

• Love 4

Do not speak of the 19 of the cooing females. Hah. They coo

I think Yannick Bisson (SP?)was in a series with Rick Springfield as brothers. I might be wrong.

Anyone ever seen the 'Honest Trailers'  Hilarious. ex. GOT... People fight and kill to sit on the most uncomfortable chair ever made!

I love the MST3k type of riffs. I'd love if they went after Y&R.

• Love 1

Oh heck yes!  Wouldn't that be a hoot and a half?  I think I read somewhere that they actually did do another soap at one time or another.

General Hospital.

Ah, thanks.  Did you see it?  *off to YouTube*

The ones that I saw were from some pretty old episodes, from what I remember they had a 70s look to them.  The riffs are pretty good, but for some MSTies the General Hospital shorts are some of their least favorites...but not everyone can appreciate soapy goodness like we can!

• Love 1

OMG!  Just watched 3 of them.  Yes, they were oldies- Nurse Jesse, Dr. Hardy- man I forgot all about those characters, but they were on when my mom used to watch GH while she ironed.  Wow, the memories that brought back and talk about low rent!  The sets were pretty shabby back then.  Toasting with invisible glasses and that plaster covered cake!  Oh, I was dying!

Thanks By Tor!

• Love 2

Plus she has a golden doodle that's CUTE.

That is a cute breed! You mentioning a dog reminds me, you're a groomer, correct? Do you have any advice on brushing? My Lilly is a Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu mix...her fur is soft but has a cottony kind of feel to it & she gets knotted really easily. The groomer says she behaves for her but she will NOT stay still or listen when I try to brush her. I suppose she's a bit spoiled, and I have NO idea whose fault that it :)

• Love 3

Groomers can do brush out appointments it's very affordable I charge $7 and takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. It is different when a groomer does it because dogs know you are not their parent and kind of understand what's about to occur if that makes sense. Many accept the reality of the situation. And the groomers have the table with the neck thing or a groomers helper device (which I don't use) and colleagues who pitch in.

Also there's certain products that help in bathing that will assist with the coat. There's a creme rinse D-Matt I often use that straightens and seperates the tangles out especially when we blow dry since we use an angled hi force dryer that has a cone so it targets very specific areas. I also like the affect it has on the texture of the hair when all is done.

When you brush your dog at home if she wiggles or moves you can leash her and tie the end to something like a bannister so shes in place. If possible have someone talk to her or pat her head while you do it. This is a distraction and comfort.

Use a slicker brush, but also a Napoleon comb (its a metal comb) to test for mats by pulling the hair up section by section. The comb should go through each area without a catch or sound when you go through. If you find a tangle or mat that is not letting it go easily via the metal comb, you can seperate out the mat and comb again, or turn the comb so its not horizontal anymore and but vertical and use it as a pick and pull it through. If that doesn't work the final resort is a mat breaker. It's a plastic handled device with hooks that help in bad cases (which I don't think she needs) those one must be careful with since its technically a razor so much caution. Avoid the face and ears.

Also a spray detangler before you comb can help making this process faster for her and you. I use one I have to look up which it is .... It isnt common....but many of the products sold at retail chains aren't as efficient as ones groomers acquire. Many of my colleagues swear by The Stuff. I hate the smell and am not impressed by the results though they use it daily and like it so you can try it maybe - its online or at a local grooming place.

I hope I was helpful and didn't ramble too much. I have a long haired Yorkie so I understand. But the maintenance is so worth it looks wise and for your pup. Because when it gets too tangled they get pissed off too especially when it's in their arm pits or privates. And pissed off when it gets too bad and anyone brushes that out it pulls their skin.

• Love 2

VERY helpful, thanks!!!  She used to get pretty bad in her armpits, but since I switched from a harness to a collar that doesn't happen, fortunately.  Her worst is typically the backs of her legs and her belly.  I have the brush you mentioned, now off to get a comb! 

• Love 3

Make sure its a steel one. For combing her belly you may need to have someone lift her up by her front arms to brush and comb her belly well. Like I mentioned try a spray detangler first again The Stuff is my coworkers choice. I use a higher end one that has a nice smell I think it has a touch of coconut oil and argan oil. Dogs and cats have a different ph than humans so the detangler has to be created for them. A spray detangler that also is good I use is one by Isle of Dogs brand.

One thing people realize or maybe don't is grooming is very dangerous. I got attacked by a crazy as shit husky today and was bit several times on my right arm and hand and middle finger. It's very detail oriented for the job and physically draining and just hectic all the time. But there's a lot of risk too for the job and many customers don't appreciate that.

• Love 4

When I was a vet tech, we used to tie a length of gauze around questionable dogs muzzles.  It saved us from many, many bites.  So sorry you got bit.  The worst I ever got was when I was carrying a chihuahua and it was going nuts on my hand and I looked down to see what it was doing.  It was biting the shit out of my hand and I couldn't even feel it!  Oh, and a case of scabies.

• Love 3