Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Yeah, I agree that the menu is really clunky.  You can customize so that only shows you select show up in the menu, but doing that isn't easy, either.

And, Yes!  Those are some pretty adorable pooches! 

• Love 2

I am struggling with the new improved upgrade also.   I do not doubt the improvements are brighter, whiter, shinier etc... but I am a cranky old curmudgeon who resists and resents change of any sort, most especially change for the better.  lol   #humbug

Snap... love your new avatar!  Rick in his killing coat  <3

• Love 4

As Snaporaz mentioned, you can customize your homepage and which forums you want visible which should help with the loading issue. I haven't tried it yet though, so I don't know how simple it is to use. 

• Love 1

Cute boy! When I was young i we had a boy cockatiel named Peepers. We've had parrots before too (more recently but mom them away) they'd talk to my dog when he visited. 

I'm the aunt/god momma of the hound. 

• Love 5

Well, there's a noticed pinned at the top of every page that promises they're still working on the bugs. So at least they're aware that some people are having problems.  Hopefully, it will all work out and we won't have to lose any Preverts!  

Happy weekend, everybody!

• Love 4

O.k.- get this Snap- I was just told I was not allowed to "like content from this user" when I tried to upvote your post. WTF?

Edit: And now I see that it recorded my vote. But, really? There are posters that we are not allowed to "like"?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, klopek said:

Hey there Steve Mcqueen. Such a pretty bird with the cooolest name ever.   Is he affectionate Jewel?  He looks both friendly and don't fuck with me in equal measure.

Thank you! And no, he's not affectionate at all. I'm not even "allowed" to touch him. He hisses and tries to fly away if I try and pet him. He's allowed to touch me, though. Clearly, he has set the boundaries of our relationship, haha.

He is also terrified of everything and everyone. It's both funny and sad, heh.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

O.k.- get this Snap- I was just told I was not allowed to "like content from this user" when I tried to upvote your post. WTF?

Edit: And now I see that it recorded my vote. But, really? There are posters that we are not allowed to "like"?

Oh, peaches, the whole universe is in on that conspiracy against me!   ;>)

• Love 3
On 4/30/2016 at 8:48 PM, peacheslatour said:

5 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Oh, peaches, the whole universe is in on that conspiracy against me!   ;>)

I blame Keebler Billy Munster.  He is behind every (literally) rotten thing.

• Love 5
On 2016-04-30 at 0:42 AM, jewel21 said:

And no, he's not affectionate at all. I'm not even "allowed" to touch him. He hisses and tries to fly away if I try and pet him. He's allowed to touch me, though. Clearly, he has set the boundaries of our relationship, haha.

Except for the flying away bit,  your Steve sounds like my little cobra pic'd below... just as cuddly as a rabid porcupine.  He did hard time at Montreal SPCA, then was transferred to SPCAWestern Quebec where he loitered and couch surfed until we found each other. 

Snugglebug or vampire bat?

small.jpg

• Love 8

Aww, what a cutie. Poor baby. I'm glad he finally found his forever home!

When I got Steve he was 2 months old and had never seen the inside of a cage or been handled by a human. He was feral, hissed constantly and bit me like crazy. I had to wear two pairs of gloves to try and handle him and he still made me bleed he bit so hard.

Now he will reluctantly let me give him a kiss but he's not happy about it, haha. And if he does bite me, it's not hard at all. So, you know, progress.

The little guy is going for a blood test tomorrow to see if his liver has improved (he's been on oral meds twice a day since January) and I feel bad bringing him. He hates the vet and it takes him days to recover after having blood drawn.

• Love 5

I am having the exact same problem on my Mac. I posted on the bugs site where another poster had the same problem but was told there is nothing to be done. Yeah, if something doesn't change I will be unable to participate here, it is a long list of topics down the left side and hyperlinks and even when I get my stuff, every time I click on a topic to read it, it forces me to scroll through the list of entire subheads for the entire Forums section. Argh! Too bad.

• Love 2

i was reading of the health benefits of drinking a warm/hot lemon water first thing in the morning before coffee.

only disappointed that i will have to go out and buy fresh lemons then squeeze them into a mason jar to make it...wishing bottled lemon juice was just as good but apparently it isn't, fresh is best i read..

i am going to try it for 2 weeks to see how it goes..

has anyone else tried this?

35 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i was reading of the health benefits of drinking a warm/hot lemon water first thing in the morning before coffee.

only disappointed that i will have to go out and buy fresh lemons then squeeze them into a mason jar to make it...wishing bottled lemon juice was just as good but apparently it isn't, fresh is best i read..

i am going to try it for 2 weeks to see how it goes..

has anyone else tried this?

This is interesting. What's it supposed to do?

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thanks that sounds great, I'm going to do it too. How much lemon juice do we add?

2 tablespoons to your cup/mug of hot/warm water.

i don't even add sugar, i kind of like the tartness.

My grandmother used to make hot water with lemon for us to drink when I was younger. She would slice up some lemon, put it in a mug with some hot water and sugar and it was one of my favourite things ever. I still like drinking it to this day.

My dad had open heart surgery a couple of weeks ago and has had complications (has not left ICU). He has an infection and they may need to go back into surgery today. I don't know if he can handle another surgery. He's 76.  

I know it's life. I'm a grown up. I want what's best for him. Whatever life decides that is. My mom is strong. But this is so hard. I can't do anything to help him. 

I wish I could be distracted by stupid show today. But I can't. 

Sorry for this glum post. Gah I feel lost.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, miamama said:

My dad had open heart surgery a couple of weeks ago and has had complications (has not left ICU). He has an infection and they may need to go back into surgery today. I don't know if he can handle another surgery. He's 76.  

I know it's life. I'm a grown up. I want what's best for him. Whatever life decides that is. My mom is strong. But this is so hard. I can't do anything to help him. 

I wish I could be distracted by stupid show today. But I can't. 

Sorry for this glum post. Gah I feel lost.

We'll all be thinking of you and hoping for the best.  It's hard stuff.

• Love 9

I'm so sorry miamama. My sincerest wishes that he pulls through AOK. My father in law had a 5 way by pass 8 years ago and now has a pacemaker/defibrillator. He is 92 and in decent health physically. Hang in there. (((hugs)))

• Love 7

Thanks guys! Your good thoughts/vibes worked. The infection appears to be superficial and they don't need to do more surgery. (I made the mistake of Googling the procedure, debridement, which is what they would have had to do had it been a deep infection, gah). Anyways, he's not out of the woods yet but it's excellent news and I'll take it. :)

• Love 12

That's great!  More positive thoughts for continued improvement and a complete recovery coming your way! 

Yes...I've learned Google is not always your friend when it comes to medical issues.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm so sorry miamama. My sincerest wishes that he pulls through AOK. My father in law had a 5 way by pass 8 years ago and now has a pacemaker/defibrillator. He is 92 and in decent health physically. Hang in there. (((hugs)))

I love to hear this. I feel like my dad has good years left in him. :)

• Love 8

@Snaporaz you are so right about the Internet. Not just about people info but also pet and car advice and warnings can be misleading or wrongs. Also sometimes if I google products the pictures of them and packaging are wrong. 

Something that's right often is did you know that most plu are universal? So if you don't have it for an item at the market (that requires it, weighed items like produce) you can look it up on the online directory websites? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

miamama, any updates on your dad?

Hey, Snap! Thanks so much for asking. As it turned out he did need the second surgery, which he had yesterday. Doctors decided the infection was in fact deeper. But they feel they cleaned it out and he's resting and alert today. Just super weak (as one would expect). He's hanging in. And so am I. :) I have, however, decided to stop Googling anything medical. 

I'm trying to keep up with posts here, but show...sigh. 

• Love 11

LOL  i gave up googling medical info, scared the bejeezus outta me..

I even hate watching the commericals for medicines cause when they describe certain symptoms, i feel that i have them then i worry myself to death about it.

• Love 8
(edited)

So Steve's biochem results came in. He's doing well. The liver is much better. The proteins are back in the normal ranges, although his bile acids are still low. After this month, I can stop the oral treatment and he can just get the powders on his food and we can retest in a year. And I no longer have to give him apple cider vinegar mixed in his water.

We also did a hematology to make sure the respiratory infection isn't back and thankfully that came back normal as well. I just have to continue keeping an eye on his breathing and if I notice a change, bring him in so we can start treatment right away, but so far so good.

Who knows, maybe one day Steve will be a normal bird, and not have the health woes normally associated with a 90 year old raging alcoholic, heh. Seriously, he's not even 4 years old yet, haha.

And I'm so happy your dad is doing better, miamama!

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 8

i noticed my tummy doesn't rumble as much and my bp seems to be going down.

i also notice, right after i drink my hot lemon water, i have to use the facilities..

going to give it another week and i really rather  enjoy the hot lemon while coffee is dripping.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

i noticed my tummy doesn't rumble as much and my bp seems to be going down.

i also notice, right after i drink my hot lemon water, i have to use the facilities..

going to give it another week and i really rather  enjoy the hot lemon while coffee is dripping.

I've noticed the same thing and as someone who has struggled with.. er.. regularity, ahem, for many years I do like that aspect. I'm going to stick with it, too.

• Love 3

My mom recommends lemon and hot water to get the system moving, Valley. ?

Peaches: Dad is slowly improving every day. I'm afraid to jinx it because of his earlier setbacks but he's sitting up, talking (breathing tube is out!) and today they let him swallow some liquid (including jello!) But in big news, he's watching sports and whining - which are the most promising signs he's doing well. Lol. He'll be in ICU for a bit but I feel like we can maybe relax a bit. Finally. Cripes. Last week I didn't think he'd make it.

• Love 10

I'm glad your dad has turned a corner, miamama!  Maybe you can get him hooked on Y&R while he's in the hospi..oh, wait, that probably won't help his recovery.  Blood pressure spikes are not the best thing for heart patients!

• Love 6
Just now, Snaporaz said:

I'm glad your dad has turned a corner, miamama!  Maybe you can get him hooked on Y&R while he's in the hospi..oh, wait, that probably won't help his recovery.  Blood pressure spikes are not the best thing for heart patients!

Lol. He used to watch years ago off and on with my mom. I think he had a wee crush on Sharon. Haha. 

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

That's great news @miamama! It'll be wonderful when he gets to go home. 

Yes it will! It's very very slow and I'm nervous because I felt like each time we got excited and really hopeful he had a setback (I know I don't actually control outcomes with my thoughts but...). Just taking it a day at a time and as the nurses say he's moving in the right direction, just slowly. So I'm very grateful for that.

• Love 5