Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)

Miamama... With respect to your reluctance to summon juju and juju's mischievous cousin jinx,  how is your Dad doing?   

Edited by klopek
  • Love 5
(edited)

Well, I guess it's time for another installment of Pearlite's Toronto Raccoon Files, for all of you who've been breathlessly waiting.

Since we last saw our little friends, things have been kind of quiet--just routine nosing about garbage and recycling bins. But maybe too quiet.

I went up to the third floor. 6:30AM, a nice morning. Before setting off for a day of delighting students with my presence, I debated whether or not to turn on the AC. Stood at the window dithering, when what should appear but all my little vermin...

Raccoons June 16b.jpg

Edited by pearlite
image too big
  • Love 13
Just now, peacheslatour said:

They're so cute. But when you look into their eyes, there is nothing there, not like looking into a dog or a cat's eyes. They are soulless, evil creatures.

Exactly. #theyrevermindontforgetit

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They're so cute. But when you look into their eyes, there is nothing there, not like looking into a dog or a cat's eyes. They are soulless, evil creatures.

My parents had a pet raccoon bandit when I was a newborn. They rescued it as baby and it ran off when it was 2 and its hormones and instincts went haywire. 

They had several pictures and stories. I didn't know this until later that we had him, but always drew raccoons and collected stuffed animals of them so maybe had a buried affectionate memory of it or it was genetic that I liked them since my father did. I found an old kids book he had about them at his mothers and the photo album of him with it and newborn me.  I think it's mean to try to domestic wild animals. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Capricasix said:

I saw a skunk this morning - much less cute than a raccoon!

We had a pet skunk in my third grade classroom. It had been de-stanked, but it still kind of smelled. It was a really sweet little creature. The teacher used let it out and it would wander around, getting into everything. Really curious about all of our little projects.

• Love 3

hello preverts, i'm back at home now.

operation went well, i am now the bionic woman but not worth 6 million dollars.

had a full hip replacement, pain is excruciating, and all the drugs i have to take make my tummy upset.

nurses and aides at the hospital were all wonderful and took very good care of me..

and a great big THANK YOU for all for keeping me in your prayers and your well wishes..

now, off to read the rest of the forum so i can catch up.

• Love 16

Yay, welcome back and I'm so happy the surgery went well! Rest up!

P.S. I think skunks are adorable. I love their silky fur. I just want to play with it. Then again, I'm always fighting the urge to braid Steve's crest. I'm weird, heh.

• Love 11

Oh valley, you're back among us! *and the villagers cheer*. Since I have hip replacement surgery in my future, I want to know all about your recovery. I have heard they can do miracles theses days. I wish you a full and speedy recovery!

• Love 10

Great news, valley!  There's no place like home, and hopefully, you'll heal even faster there.   Too bad about all the meds...maybe you really should look into weed.  It may help with pain and nausea.  Is it legal everywhere in Canada?  

The most important thing is that it's over, and you sound like you're in good spirits!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Yay, welcome back and I'm so happy the surgery went well! Rest up!

P.S. I think skunks are adorable. I love their silky fur. I just want to play with it. Then again, I'm always fighting the urge to braid Steve's crest. I'm weird, heh.

lol. 

• Love 5

Arghhhhh ever have someone steal or throw away your lunch at work?

how about when something expensive is packed with it like your dogs Kong harness and your tarte makeup? So that's some money just lit on fire and now I know I'll be spending my day tomorrow shopping instead of going to the beach and reading.  ??

• Love 8

That sucks, Petunia! Grrrrr.

I  had someone steal my vest at work once. Stole my name tag and my five year silver pin with it. I was livid. And, I'm pretty sure I know who did it, the creepy guy who asked me out and I turned down.

Vest showed up mysteriously one day while he was in the staff room for lunch. I never got the pin back, sadly.

• Love 6

It was probably done on purpose to fuck with me. Several of my things have gone missing or been moved. Usually it's just my coffee or iced tea. I will leave it on my desk or file cabinet and Joel the receiver will pitch it. Even tho he has his own desk and cabinet and a bazillion drinks and chip bags. One time I left my phone and the charger out and they were in the trash. And a bag with nars lip crayons and mascara.

This gorgeous Irish guy fetched them out of the trash and brought it to me. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

It was probably done on purpose to fuck with me. Several of my things have gone missing or been moved. Usually it's just my coffee or iced tea. I will leave it on my desk or file cabinet and Joel the receiver will pitch it. Even tho he has his own desk and cabinet and a bazillion drinks and chip bags. One time I left my phone and the charger out and they were in the trash. And a bag with nars lip crayons and mascara.

This Joel creature needs to be dealt with......a dark alley, a gang of preverts, and we'll show him what being tossed out feels like.

Gorgeous Irish guy sounds like a keeper.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Yikes. What a stressful work environment! 

• Love 11

What would make a person think it's okay to pick up items off another person's desk and throw themaway? My initial diagnosis: assholery, chronic. 

I used to work for a malignant narcissist in what should have been an awesome work environment. Any horrible behavior you could imagine, gaslighting, verbal abuse, threats, pathological lying, paranoid accusations, sabotage, and micromanaging...well, she provided it. She's what I imagine a real-life Victor Newman would be. I feel your pain, Petunia. I'm sure you're already doing this, but write it all down if you're not.

• Love 12

petunia, do you have a camera on your cell phone?  a couple of pics to go along with writing it down is also a good idea.  

absolutely horrid when you have to work with assholes..

i once worked for a gm dealership and the controller had her office windows face where i sat.  when anything went wrong, her beady eyes would look out the window and she would see me.  then, i had to take whatever she dished out...i quit my job and went to work at a job where i was the only office person.

• Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I feel your pain, Petunia. I'm sure you're already doing this, but write it all down if you're not.

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Listen to NP. This is excellent advice.

See, it's moments like this when I discover just how big of an asshole I am.  I was going to suggest Creative Revenge, served cold like all good revenge, but...yes, you should listen to NP and peaches!

Edited by Snaporaz
immaturity
  • Love 10
52 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

See, it's moments like this when I discover just how big of an asshole I am.  I was going to suggest Creative Revenge, served cold like all good revenge, but...yes, you should listen to NP and peaches!

Lol. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger over there. That was my first thought as well, but cooler heads (ninja) prevailed.

• Love 10

I feel your pain, Petunia. I'm sure you're already doing this, but write it all down if you're not.

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Listen to NP. This is excellent advice.

Putting on my general manager hat: If you've tried to discuss this with your coworker and the behavior has continued or escalated, you need to speak to your manager privately.

Look back over your time and interactions with the employee; perhaps something you thought as minor holds much greater importance to this coworker. With names of persons that have interceded for you and documentation, and if you have a solution of your own (managers love that kind of input), speak calmly and specifically identify the problem. Then let the manager handle the coworker.

In the mean time, lock up everything you consider valuable to doing your job and of a personal nature. Don't leave your lunch in a communal lunchroom; use a lockable cooler. Don't leave you computer on if you are walking away from it, even for a moment, and change your password. If your company phone can be locked out, do so. Do not let this person have any unattended access to you work equipment or work projects. Continue to document all your interactions.

Hope for the best, but expect the worst. A lot of this depends on your opinion of your manager's abilities to effectively deal with this asshole.

You can change how you deal with this person and how you protect your work area, but assholes don't change. They can't. An asshole is 99.44% certain they are right 100% of the time.  

• Love 10
(edited)

So I was on fb today and I had followed the animal hospital's facebook page when I was first hired, and never unfollowed it. Today they had a post about their new 'adorable' receptionist with a picture to boot. It didn't help that she was super cute. And one of the girls who made my life miserable there commented on it all super friendly and nice and gah. It just bothered me so much. I ended up unfollowing the page.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

So I was on fb today and I had followed the animal hospital's facebook page when I was first hired, and never unfollowed it. Today they had a post about their new 'adorable' receptionist with a picture to boot. It didn't help that she was super cute. And one of the girls who made my life miserable there commented on it all super friendly and nice and gah. It just bothered me so much. I ended up unfollowing the page.

People always show their most contrived selves on FB. I have found Facebook is such a trigger for whatever neurosis is bothering me at the time I'm looking at it. So lately I've been avoiding it.

Good you unfollowed.

• Love 9

Thanks, miamama.

Facebook is driving me crazy lately posting all this stuff about animal abuse and stupid people dragging animals out of their natural habitat for selfies and whatnot.

I think I need to step away from it for a bit as well. Who knows, maybe it'll make me happier.

I think I'm just going to stick to the forums here for a while and revel in the snark.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks, miamama.

Facebook is driving me crazy lately posting all this stuff about animal abuse and stupid people dragging animals out of their natural habitat for selfies and whatnot.

I think I need to step away from it for a bit as well. Who knows, maybe it'll make me happier.

I think I'm just going to stick to the forums here for a while and revel in the snark.

that's what I decided to do. It's sooo much saner. :)

• Love 5

I walked away from Facebook after discovering how many of the guys I went to school with are raging misogynists. FB can be an eye-opener and not in a good way. It's really hard to see news about all the injustices in the world, because if you have a lick of empathy, you get overwhelmed pretty quickly. You start to think that there's so much wrong that you couldn't possibly make a dent in it. It's okay to take a break before wading back in to fight for what you believe in.

And that new girl at the office will realize the score soon enough.

Cupid, excellent advice! Snap, I'm an asshole too. I just figure I'll let karma do it's thing and point and laugh when it does. 

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Meet SweePea Rambo ... 2016 winner of the World's Ugliest Dog Contest

ticker_hund_afp.4696427.jpg

I see only beautiful... pure and true.    Bless your precious soul sweetheart.  <3

• Love 5
10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Talk about passive aggressive and phoney. 

• Love 11

Thanks, guys!

It really bothered and depressed me when I saw that post, but your words of wisdom and comfort have made me feel better. Maybe one day she'll see their true colors, or maybe she'll fit in just fine and love it. I don't know. What I do know is I am much happier where I am now, and that is all that matters. That job was super toxic and I only ended up realizing it once I found my new job.

Ninja, you are right about facebook being hard to follow if you have even a link of empathy. I would go on every day, see horrible posts, and just feel so depressed about life and let down by humanity. And it would be hard to shrug off. I think a step away will do me some good.

Thanks, everyone. You are the best!

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I walked away from Facebook after discovering how many of the guys I went to school with are raging misogynists. FB can be an eye-opener and not in a good way. It's really hard to see news about all the injustices in the world, because if you have a lick of empathy, you get overwhelmed pretty quickly. You start to think that there's so much wrong that you couldn't possibly make a dent in it. It's okay to take a break before wading back in to fight for what you believe in.

FB has never been a thing for me. Mark Zuckerberg (a disappointing business acquaintance of Mr.Stunt's) is a massive asshole, and you can't expect anything but a heaping helping of assholery to stain the hem of your pants and be tracked around by your shoes.

Once HR started sending applicant FB feeds along with their resumes -- That's shit you can't unsee -- it only confirmed that FB was a venue for the worse aspects of human nature.

Both of my college-age children dropped FB once the adults started to jump on board in 2000, and Twitter/Instagram is so 2014 -- It's a texting/Tumbr/Snapchat world this year.

And that new girl at the office will realize the score soon enough.

I just don't want to see you above the fold on the front page.

Cupid, excellent advice! Snap, I'm an asshole too. I just figure I'll let karma do it's thing and point and laugh when it does. 

I sat with my back to the wall, did my research, excelled at sales, and left the assholes choking on my dust.

Schadenfreude doesn't pay the bills.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

FB has never been a thing for me. Mark Zuckerberg (a disappointing business acquaintance of Mr.Stunt's) is a massive asshole, and you can't expect anything but a heaping helping of assholery to stain the hem of your pants and be tracked around by your shoes.

Once HR started sending applicant FB feeds along with their resumes -- That's shit you can't unsee -- it only confirmed that FB was a venue for the worse aspects of human nature.

Good to read this CS! Academia is all over social media... Kinda the same time-lag as the movie industry experienced with pop music. We're told to maintain FB pages--they didn't know what they were asking for with me here--and, in the case of communications and media faculties, this crap is subject to serious consideration.

I just find FB a kind of dull one-sided self-presentation, and a dumping-ground for people's lame but earnestly felt empathies concerning things they would never actually do anything about. Remember Millennium? I used to write a lot about it, and the ep about "Selfosophy" always comes to mind.

• Love 5

I just don't want to see you above the fold on the front page

No worries there! I only meant that the new girl would probably see through the sweetness and light charade eventually. 

If I ever appear above the fold...well, I wouldn't. I don't lead a particularly interesting life, honestly.

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mark Zuckerberg (a disappointing business acquaintance of Mr.Stunt's) is a massive asshole, and you can't expect anything but a heaping helping of assholery to stain the hem of your pants and be tracked around by your shoes.

Ah, our social media god has clay feet, it seems. I had to jump in with this tidbit (from my son) about Mr. Z:  it seems he bought all the surrounding properties to his muchobucko house so he could control who lives near him.  So the guy that created the means for every and anyone to expose themselves to the entire world is a hermit?

14 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

You can change how you deal with this person and how you protect your work area, but assholes don't change. They can't. An asshole is 99.44% certain they are right 100% of the time.  

Oh, Cupid Stunt, how I wish you had been there when I went thru 'bad working environment' issues.  Damn, wish you had been my manager!  I did do everything you suggested: besides talking to my immediate supervisor, I kept a paper record (that I emailed to my son from my home computer), talked to HR, Affirmative Action (and was pretty much blown off by them) and researched employment law regarding harassment.  Guess who got a job-related disability retirement?  (they only gave me that because a law suit would have looked bad for a government law office and I agreed because, since it involved lawyers, I figured I'd be dead before it settled.)  I was lucky-and I sit here in beautiful WA thanking any and every god that brought this every damn day.  If someone must remain in a job he/she hates-like to feed your kids and keep your home-then follow Cupid's advice.  Get Pattycakes to embroider it on a pillow.  Assholes don't change-protect yourself.  And, re revenge (hot or cold), my personal mantra is "Everyone steps in their own shit"  which is another way to say give Karma a Chance.

Edited by MollyB
way too long of a rant
  • Love 12

I would like to read more about Mr Zuckerberg's assholishness...

And Facebook is known to be an echo chamber, because it never presents opposing viewpoints. Once you "like" pages, you will only be shown similar ones.

• Love 7
On 6/11/2016 at 2:57 PM, peacheslatour said:

Sorry about the blank quote but for some reason the site insists on keeping it in my post.  Nothing personal, peacheslatour!

I pretty much like Facebook, although I do keep a tight reign on what I post.  I mostly post old pictures from my hometown of Dubuque and adopted hometowns of Chicago and San Francisco, along with - go ahead and judge, LOTS of animal videos.  And, music and art and family photos.  For me, Facebook has been an invaluble way to stay in touch with old friends, cousins, nephews, nieces, their children and grandchildren that we just don't get to see very often anymore, with everyone getting older and more spread out.  I stay away from politics and religion, and unfollow friends or relations, or at least prune their posts from my timeline who hit the Share button far too frequently with those subjects.

My exception to that recently was the Orlando shooting, but as for the presidential race, although you could probably guess my preference without straining, I don't post or Share that stuff.  At this stage of my life, my opinions are formed and I have zero interest in arguing them with anyone I care about.  

But seeing pictures of the kids I rarely if ever get to see, or the weddings/anniversaries/etc.  I can't get to, sharing memories with family and friends, that stuff I like.  And dogs doing silly things along with cats with attitude, yep!  

• Love 8

All right, in the spirit of boes' honesty re FB: I follow family members who live in the US, including my daughter in New Haven, obviously. And some of the Canadian familials--the ones I'd actually speak to, especially the younger generation of nieces, nephews, whatever the son/daughter of a niece or nephew is, and so on. I post some snark once in a while--imagine your surprise. But like boes, I post snark for the sheer pleasure of it, and not as bait. And animal videos! Who does not?

I don't post career stuff--that I find offensive--and I don't care about politics. And I certainly do prune and suppress yards of stuff.

• Love 3

speaking of facebook, i was on my fb page and on the side they have things that are trending.  i read the one about a man who was asked by a 16 yr. old boy to carry his bags of groceries for food.  the guys name was matt white (who was white) and the boy's name was chauncey black (who was aa).  the food the boy asked for was for a box of doughnuts. the boy said that he lived with his disabled mom and they didn't have any food or much of anything.  he slept on a pallet on the floor in a sleeping bag..when i read the whole story, it made me feel good to know that there were still good people around who would help someone else who was down and out. the boy was also a straight a student and hoped that when he was grown, he would own a business and could help others..

it lifted my heart..

the boy also said that he hoped to get a lawn mower so he could make some money to help his mom pay the rent..

matt and that boy are going to do wonders in this world and i truly wish there were more like them instead of the pastor who was running for congress and put up a billboard that said "make america white again."

• Love 7