Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

It was weird for me. I was a member of Facebook very early. When I joined only  like 20 schools (the ivies and top tiers)were allowed on it. It was a big backlash when they allowed state universities because before it was such a small network where everyone connected and if they didn't know each other they probably were friends of friends. Now it basically is like MySpace. 

I do like as @boes mentioned the status updates because that is very helpful and heartwarming. I seldom post my own. I will post pics on Yelp or Twitter though. There's also a group on there I like that's private that is all comedy and   Sarcastic pics. 

I find the comments about MZ being an asshole interesting since before I even saw the social network he struck me as a douchbag. 

• Love 3

only  like 20 schools (the ivies and top tiers)were allowed on it. It was a big backlash when they allowed state universities because before it was such a small network where everyone connected and if they didn't know each other they probably were friends of friends. Now it basically is like MySpace. 

Heh, there went the neighborhood! Seriously though, I was working at a state uni when Facebook pretty much started letting anyone with a .edu email address in and I'm aware of not a few techy types who early on saw Facebook as an online slum about to happen. Because greed.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, pearlite said:

Good to read this CS! Academia is all over social media... Kinda the same time-lag as the movie industry experienced with pop music. We're told to maintain FB pages--they didn't know what they were asking for with me here--and, in the case of communications and media faculties, this crap is subject to serious consideration.

That will be Academia's loss.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:00 PM, Capricasix said:

I would like to read more about Mr Zuckerberg's assholishness...

Mark and Priscilla Chan (his present wife) hosted a dinner party. My husband and I were invited through the suggestion of one of the guests. Cocktail hour was pleasant enough. The plan was to eat outside and I was looking at their landscaping, when I heard Mark tell his wife to make sure to keep the wives and girlfriend's away from his end of the table -- "... you know I fucking hate talking to idiots." Well, she doesn't suffer idiots gladly either, but managed to be conversational. After dessert, the men actually removed themselves for brandy, and the ladies were supposed to natter stiltedly to ourselves over coffee. There was an open office with books, so I took my coffee, grabbed a volume of Faulkner short stories and tucked in to pass the time. Someone stood in the open door. It was Mark Zuckerberg. He walked over to me, took the book from my hands, and put it back in the bookcase.

"Those books are only to be looked at."

"I apologize. I was not aware your books were not to be read."

"Who reads books anyway?"

"Luddites? Oh, not a question ... Excuse me."

I walked out, found Mr.Stunt and suggested that I had worn out my welcome for reading Faulkner. Mr.Stunt cracked wise quoting William Faulkner, "The rich are different from you and me." Fortunately, the other guests were also trying to escape, so we extended our thanks and left with them. One of the guests said something about it being one of the most forced occasions he had ever experienced. I sent a generic Thank You to the hosts.

Every time we've been invited to their home (6x), Mark Zuckerberg reminds me not to touch his books. He and Pricilla Chen have been to our home (4x). I once caught him looking a piece of Weller pottery, "You break it, you bought it." <I'm a bad puddy tat.> He's minced uncomfortably around our house ever since.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 14

You show remarkable restraint, Cupid!  I wonder if he's related to Pratt, since all of the wimmins had to be at the other end if the table.  Ironically, he segregated himself from at least one of the sharpest wits at that party!  Now, who's the idiot?

So, was the Faulkner a signed 1st edition printed on Johannes Gutenberg's press, or just a copy from Barnes and Noble?  It shouldn't matter, but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around his reaction.     

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Wow! What a story. 

He seems very rude and cold. No manners whatsoever. 

He puts on social skills like a costume, if there's something to be gained from it, otherwise he has no use for them.

Mr.Stunt refuses to work with MZ. He has no respect for the proprietary work of others.

"Everything is for sale." And with his kind of money, everything is for sale because money is no object. That's how a billionaire can buy four surrounding houses to create a barrier of privacy and control the environment around his own home.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mr.Stunt cracked wise quoting William Faulkner, "The rich are different from you and me."

In this instance, it sounds as it was more a matter of obtusity and pomposity.

1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

So, was the Faulkner a signed 1st edition printed on Johannes Gutenberg's press, or just a copy from Barnes and Noble?

LoL    yooo sooo funny.

Edited by klopek
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

There was an open office with books, so I took my coffee, grabbed a volume of Faulkner short stories and tucked in to pass the time. Someone stood in the open door. It was Mark Zuckerberg. He walked over to me, took the book from my hands, and put it back in the bookcase.

"Luddites? Oh, not a question ... Excuse me."

I walked out, found Mr.Stunt and suggested that I had worn out my welcome for reading Faulkner. Mr.Stunt cracked wise quoting William Faulkner, "The rich are different from you and me." Fortunately, the other guests were also trying to escape, so we extended our thanks and left with them. One of the guests said something about it being one of the most forced occasions he had ever experienced. I sent a generic Thank You to the hosts.

Every time we've been invited to their home (6x), Mark Zuckerberg reminds me not to touch his books. He and Pricilla Chen have been to our home (4x). I once caught him looking a piece of Weller pottery, "You break it, you bought it." <I'm a bad puddy tat.> He's minced uncomfortably around our house ever since.

You make him nervous, Cupid Stunt.  That's pretty wonderful.

Zuckerberg%20brain.gif

You are not to be trifled with, even by AssGazz from the Nebula GiveNoFuks aka Zuckerberg 2.0  

Bloody marvelous!!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

You show remarkable restraint, Cupid!  I wonder if he's related to Pratt, since all of the wimmins had to be at the other end if the table.  Ironically, he segregated himself from at least one of the sharpest wits at that party!  Now, who's the idiot?    

Flattery will get you a stool at the open bar, Snaporaz.

There are a number of people Mr.Stunt works with that are legends in their own mind; that's the nature of a company town like L.A. What are you gonna do when you're surrounded by itchy, spray tanned, heavily-medicated, anxious, ambitious directoractressproducermodelwritercallboycinematographercaterwaiters? My job is not to provoke Mr.Stunt's itchy, spray tanned, heavily-medicated, anxious clients without permission, not break out the sock full of batteries when I'm provoked, and write a gracious Thank You note and send fresh flowers to our host.

Mr.Stunt makes clear to the worst offenders if they insult me, they can kiss their 7 figure bonus goodbye. Nothing like the shame of driving last year's Maserati to put the fear of Mammon in an executive producer.

So, was the Faulkner a signed 1st edition printed on Johannes Gutenberg's press, or just a copy from Barnes and Noble?  It shouldn't matter, but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around his reaction.   

It was one of a bookcase full of leather-bound decorator editions that are bought to color contrast with custom-made rugs and window treatments.

• Love 10

First of all, Cupid Stunt, you need to sit yourself down and write a Jackie Collins-style roman à clef so we can get more of this delicious dirt you clearly have available to dish. Enquiring minds want to know and all.

Second, oy, sometimes pedantry gets the best of me: it was F. Scott Fitzgerald (with a snarky assist from Ernest Hemingway) who made the "the rich are different" observation. More here:

http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2009/11/rich-are-different-famous-quote.html

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

First of all, Cupid Stunt, you need to sit yourself down and write a Jackie Collins-style roman à clef so we can get more of this delicious dirt you clearly have available to dish. Enquiring minds want to know and all.

Second, oy, sometimes pedantry gets the best of me: it was F. Scott Fitzgerald (with a snarky assist from Ernest Hemingway) who made the "the rich are different" observation. More here:

http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2009/11/rich-are-different-famous-quote.html

This is why you don't send an electrical engineer to do the job of a liberal arts major. 

You keep being your pedantic self, Joimiaroxeu. Without it we would be lesser by far.

• Love 3

LOLOL  i was reading my fb page and on the trending on the right side, there was a story about mz building a 6 ft. stone wall around his property in kuai.(sp?)..in the comments sec. someone compared him to the orange clown.  however, it is his property, lots of people build fences walls around theirs and he is paying for it with his own money.

• Love 4
On June 25, 2016 at 10:13 AM, boes said:

This Joel creature needs to be dealt with......a dark alley, a gang of preverts, and we'll show him what being tossed out feels like.

He said something a bit inappropriate to me today. i have a person from a completely diff area of the company (a bread baker) helping out for the week. I kind of have to bring her up to speed and show her what is the projects. She's only been in the area one day.

He asked if she was working tomorrow and I said yes. And he said she seemed more knowledgable and sharp than me.

he isn't my superior or reviewing our work. He's a receiver & processes  the deliveries and transfers of merchandise and damaged goods. I do the pricing, sales organization, and computer stuff for the store. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Flattery will get you a stool at the open bar, Snaporaz.

Oh, I wouldn't dare try to flatter you.  I just call'em likes I seez'em. I would have said you were THE sharpest wit there instead of "one of the sharpest", but I don't know who else was at the party.  If RuPaul or Amy Sedaris were also guests, I'd call it a draw.  But I would gladly accept that seat at the open bar any day!  I can be kind of funny when you get a couple pints of Guinness in me.

20 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It was one of a bookcase full of leather-bound decorator editions that are bought to color contrast with custom-made rugs and window treatments.

I have a set of three books like that...leather-bound and etched in gold...the complete works of Shakespeare, Kipling, and Guy de Maupassant.  How's that for a motley crew?  They were a gift from my sister, and I like them, and if I found you in my house reading one of them, I would ask you if you wanted to borrow it so you could finish whichever story you were reading. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

He said something a bit inappropriate to me today. i have a person from a completely diff area of the company (a bread baker) helping out for the week. I kind of have to bring her up to speed and show her what is the projects. She's only been in the area one day.

He asked if she was working tomorrow and I said yes. And he said she seemed more knowledgable and sharp than me.

he isn't my superior or reviewing our work. He's a receiver & processes  the deliveries and transfers of merchandise and damaged goods. I do the pricing, sales organization, and computer stuff for the store. 

As hard as it may seem, I would just ignore comments like that from somebody like him, Petunia.  He doesn't seem worth your time or energy.  But keep an eye on your stuff!

valleycliffe, how is the recovery coming along?  I guess you have lots of therapy ahead of you, but is the pain subsiding, at least?

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

The guy is a nasty prick, just the sort you know trolls the internet looking for trouble.  Does he do this to others at work or has he decided you're his sole target?  I bet others have picked up on his nasty vibe.  

If you can, scour Peruvian prisons, or go straight for one of the guinea pigs native to there and replace him at work.  Then imprison him here and we'll show him what happens when one of our own are mistreated.  Maybe we could have ButtBiscuit introduce him to his "leetle friend".  

Seriously, I think Snaporaz is right, ignore him if you can.  But keep documenting his awful behavior and if you can get others to witness his behavior, all the better.  But it's terrible to have to go to work when you're confronted with someone like that.  Life is hard enough without some miserable bastard adding to it.

2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Oh, I wouldn't dare try to flatter you.  I just call'em likes I seez'em. I would have said you were THE sharpest wit there instead of "one of the sharpest", but I don't know who else was at the party.  If RuPaul or Amy Sedaris were also guests, I'd call it a draw.  But I would gladly accept that seat at the open bar any day!  I can be kind of funny when you get a couple pints of Guinness in me.

I have a set of three books like that...leather-bound and etched in gold...the complete works of Shakespeare, Kipling, and Guy de Maupassant.  How's that for a motley crew?  They were a gift from my sister, and I like them, and if I found you in my house reading one of them, I would ask you if you wanted to borrow it so you could finish whichever story you were reading. 

Snaporaz, I don't think you need the Guinness to be funny because you do that with every single post on here. 

I'm like you.  Somebody paying attention to my books is someone I would pay attention to.  Zuckerberg has obviously confused money with success.  Sorry, Zuck, there's far more too it.  Collecting books to go with your drapes......Yep, I'm screaming now.  And telling someone not to touch them?

Helene Hanff, who wrote 84 Charing Cross Road, possibly the best book about books ever written - nope, the best, said about books that people have loved and obviously used, 

"I love inscriptions on flyleaves and notes in margins, I like the comradely sense of turning pages someone else turned and reading passages someone long gone has called my attention to".  

There's little I love more than a book that's been used and loved, written in - not defaced - but one that shows somebody, at one time, was touched by what I'm now getting to hold and read in another time.  Zuckerberg wouldn't get that but all the preverts here would.

Edited by boes
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

As hard as it may seem, I would just ignore comments like that from somebody like him, Petunia.  He doesn't seem worth your time or energy.  But keep an eye on your stuff!

valleycliffe, how is the recovery coming along?  I guess you have lots of therapy ahead of you, but is the pain subsiding, at least?

yes snap, it is getting easier every day.  the dr. gave me  a prescription for a morphine type drug, but after the first couple of days, i haven't had to take it..i worry about becoming addicted to the painkiller, i don't want to be like prince..anyway,   i also find i have to eat raisin bran cereal or bran buds cause of all the drugs i have to take.:(  i have THE most wonderful husband tho.  he helps me put on my slippers, waits on me and helps me to the bathroom even if it's in the middle of the night.  and not a word of complaint.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

yes snap, it is getting easier every day.  the dr. gave me  a prescription for a morphine type drug, but after the first couple of days, i haven't had to take it..i worry about becoming addicted to the painkiller, i don't want to be like prince..anyway,   i also find i have to eat raisin bran cereal or bran buds cause of all the drugs i have to take.:(  i have THE most wonderful husband tho.  he helps me put on my slippers, waits on me and helps me to the bathroom even if it's in the middle of the night.  and not a word of complaint.

The husband knows he's got gold with you, Valleycliffe.

• Love 7

i have THE most wonderful husband tho.  he helps me put on my slippers, waits on me and helps me to the bathroom even if it's in the middle of the night.  and not a word of complaint.

My hubby is like that too. I love men! I'm so glad you're on the mend and you are smart to not take those pills, I've heard it's very easy to become addicted and doctors are really tightening up on prescribing them.

I think somebody has a crush on our Petunia! He's probably doing something called "negging". I'm starting to lean more and more towards Snap's revenge strategy.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

he sure is petunia13...i got him young and trained him well...

meaning, i was 18 and he was 20.

and now, we've been legally married for 43 yrs

Nice!!!! 

• Love 6

LOL  i am often asked what he buys me for our anniversay.

since there really isn't anything i need, we typically go to a resort in tofino or hotel in vancouver for the weekend..

last year (well february) we didn't have such a good time cause my hips were bothering me and i couldn't walk very well and i was in pain.  it was really a bummer cause i love walking on the beach even if it's raining which it usually is in tofino (and vancouver) at that time of year.  so, i had to be content with looking at the waves from the window of our hotel room..we always get the king kitchenette so we can make some of our own meals etc. 

this time, we are going to go somewhere different, just haven't decided where yet.  it is typically left up to me to decide cause he is happy no matter where it is we go.

• Love 7

Valley, I am so happy to hear you're feeling better and that you have such a wonderful husband taking care of you. 

Petunia, I think it was Dear Abby that offered a nice reply to people who say rude things: "Why would you say something like that?" Throws 'em right off their game.

• Love 5

I just stared at him for a full ten seconds with my eyes locked. Then said "that was a tactless comment" 

he started literally sputtering not forming words. I cut that off with "if that was the case I wouldn't be in the position of training her at all" then he wandered off and fidgeted with boxes. 

it does make me wonder why he would fix his mouth to say such a thing. Maybe she or someone else said I'm dumb and they're so smart or something.

Even though I iced the hell out of him he still smirked and giggled by himself the rest of the day and just had an extra confidence when dealing with his suprriors. 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I just stared at him for a full ten seconds with my eyes locked. Then said "that was a tactless comment" 

he started literally sputtering not forming words. I cut that off with "if that was the case I wouldn't be in the position of training her at all" then he wandered off and fidgeted with boxes. 

it does make me wonder why he would fix his mouth to say such a thing. Maybe she or someone else said I'm dumb and they're so smart or something.

Even though I iced the hell out of him he still smirked and giggled by himself the rest of the day and just had an extra confidence when dealing with his suprriors. 

Damn, Petunia13, you are dealing with an actual ButtBiscuit Burger Deluxe, extra cheese.  That giggling by himself makes him sound insane to me.  I know the best policy is to not engage....do you have a superior you could talk to safely about him?

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I'm in with Boes on this.  Up thread I mentioned my workplace harassment situation and the main player in that sounds just like your little neurotic creep.  This thing is living in his own fantasy-it actually has nothing to do with you personally- and you're mainly a prop.  Stand firm and don't stoop to his level. 

• Love 7

My unsolicited advice goes like this: people are right when they suggest you should find another job.  BUT stay where you are until you do.  Just suck up the scheduling cuts and don't make any waves...it's always better to leave on good terms.  Use the extra free time they've given you to conduct your search.  You'd be surprised how much easier it is to find a job when you already have one.  

• Love 10

LOLOL  since my operation, i have had to take a blood thinner for the next month.  it is xarelto.

guess what there was a commercial for?  a law firm with a class action suit against it cause it causes internal bleeding.  great!  just what a hypochondriac needs to hear :(

oh, jewel21, my brother in law tony is playing in montreal tonite at the resonate cafe with the pugs and crows.

might be too late for you tho cause he doesn't go on until 9pm.  

well, it's late for me anyway.

• Love 5

Hey Valley! Unfortunately that is a bit too late for me. I have to work tomorrow and need to be up early, so I can most likely be sent home after four hours :P

I'm glad to see you back online, though! I hope you are doing well, and be careful with those pills *hugs*

• Love 3

There really is something odd about having an ad for a drug and an ad for lawyers suing the drugmaker running at the same time. 

I get where you're coming from on taking new meds, valley. Is your doctor monitoring you while on this pill? 

• Love 3

hi everyone.

i haven't been feeling very well lately, the drugs i take make me nauseous and i get sick alot.  i'm also constipated which doesn't help one little bit. :(

pain is getting more manageable tho, and i haven't been taking the pain killers as much.  i am even sleeping better at night so that is helping too.

i get the staples out on tuesday.  hopefully it doesn't hurt.

• Love 8

Oh valley I'm heartily sorry for what you've been going through. I get the constipation too. It sucks but so does pain. I bet you'll feel a lot better once the staples come out. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I know what my future holds. You're my role model!

• Love 8

Yes, that sucks Valley. Sorry you feel crummy. Generally getting staples removed doesn't hurt though.

Peacheslatour: My dad is okay. Poor guy is still in hospital. aargh. His heart is fine and healing very well but he has a blood issue. He's losing blood via vessels in his small bowel. This had been going on pre-surgery but it wasn't as bad as it is now. He needs transfusions every two days at this point. Apparently isolating exactly where the problem is in the bowel is a challenge (it's 20 feet long). So he has to go to Toronto for a test and that cannot be done here. Assuming they locate the problem they will be able to repair it. We are about two hours away from T.O.  so the moment a bed becomes available they will transfer him.

He's hanging in. Frustrated but at least they are narrowing down the problem. My poor mom is losing it. It's been 10 weeks since his heart surgery. The nurses are wonderful. So there's that. 

• Love 6

I hope you're feeling a bit better, Valley *hugs*

And good luck to your dad, Miamama. When my grandmother was dying years ago, the only thing that made things better was one wonderful and cute nurse she had named Sam. If not for him, I think I would have gone nuts. Like Ninja said, a good nurse can make all the difference. Hang in there.

I'm off to the doctor myself in an hour. Had to take the day off work for it. A painful condition has presented itself and I need to get it checked out. Hopefully it'll just require some antibiotics or something.  I'm still nervous though.

• Love 8

Yes, we are the stress bunch, lol. But don't Google anything medical, Jewel!

So dad is scheduled to be transferred to St Michael's Hospital in Toronto at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow morning (to beat 401 traffic hell) for a test at 10 a.m. We are hoping they can locate the source of his blood loss and it can be repaired (either there or back in town).

Send those good Prevert thoughts you guys....

• Love 12

Thank you all!

I wish I could say I hadn't googled, but I googled for the week it took me to finally get an appointment with my doctor.

Googling wasn't so bad, it was my mother calling me up saying "what if it's cancer?" that freaked me out more than anything.

In the end it was an abscess/boil/cyst, call it what you will. The doctor looked at it and drained it and told me to come see her again if it comes back and use warm compresses.

I will say it was an abscess/boil/cyst where no abscess/boil/cyst should ever be allowed to grow. And it hurt like a motherfucker.

• Love 9