Type keyword(s) to search

Wish Upon a Star: Who Would You Like To See On DWTS?

• Start Topic

People might not like her, but she's intelligent. I figure if I had to suffer through a season of the simpering Candace, people can suck it up and deal with this rumored "celebrity." It would be boring if we only had people we loved. Besides, I hated Andy Dick before his season and could at least tolerate him afterwards. :)

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2016 at 7:25 PM, simplyme said:

Especially not Ryan Lochte. He comes across as dumber than a box of rocks in interviews, as these anchors discovered.

I was saying elsewhere I almost want them to ask and then have to allow Lochte on, because I think the show needs a good comeupance for some of their casting stunts in the past, and so I'd like to see them greedily cast him and then have the entire Internet turn on them.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that it's a fake out, but my resignation will probably come soon enough.

Team USA had 558 total Olympians. Ryan Lochte should've been call number 558. And they should've lost his number...

Now I realize that a massive number of those 558 Olympians for scheduling or personality reasons would decline DWTS. But you can't tell me there isn't someone from our gold medal winning water polo team, or equestrian, or table tennis, or cycling.....who would love (as well as that sports' devoted community of fans) to get a little press/time in a bigger national spotlight. Or any of two dozen other medal winning athletes who we came to know and learn about over the last two weeks. But this is how you choose to remember the Olympics and Team USA? By rewarding the Drunk, White Athlete Privilege-Having Asshole who caused an international incident. Give yourselves a round of applause casting people (again, if it turns out to be true)....because as Kromm alluded, I think you are going to need it moving forward.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that it's a fake out, but my resignation will probably come soon enough.

Team USA had 558 total Olympians. Ryan Lochte should've been call number 558. And they should've lost his number...

Now I realize that a massive number of those 558 Olympians for scheduling or personality reasons would decline DWTS. But you can't tell me there isn't someone from our gold medal winning water polo team, or equestrian, or table tennis, or cycling.....who would love (as well as that sports' devoted community of fans) to get a little press/time in a bigger national spotlight. Or any of two dozen other medal winning athletes who we came to know and learn about over the last two weeks. But this is how you choose to remember the Olympics and Team USA? By rewarding the Drunk, White Athlete Privilege-Having Asshole who caused an international incident. Give yourselves a round of applause casting people (again, if it turns out to be true)....because as Kromm alluded, I think you are going to need it moving forward.

Hah. If they hadn't already HAD Hope Solo, they'd want her too, no doubt.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

I was saying elsewhere I almost want them to ask and then have to allow Lochte on, because I think the show needs a good comeupance for some of their casting stunts in the past, and so I'd like to see them greedily cast him and then have the entire Internet turn on them.

Unfortunately, IMO the entire internet won't turn on DWTS, they'll turn on Lochte even worse than most already are.  I don't know what his management is thinking if Lochte has signed on, but I think he just needs time out of the spotlight, do his turn in rehab and just let the whole thing settle down.   A turn on DWTS right now really won't do him any good, it'll just intensify the hating on him.  

Now, to be clear, I'm not an apologist for him.  What he (and the other 3 swimmers) did was stupid.  He's a 32 year old man and needs to start behaving like a grown up.   He talked to a reporter, didn't confess his sins and embellished the story, and his embellishment offended the tender sensibilities of Rio officials.  His penalty is being raked over the coals in the worldwide media, turned into the most hated man of the Olympics, lost his endorsements (his income) and  he'll have some kind of penalty from the swimming  federation.    At what point is enough, enough?  Phelps offenses were far far far worse IMO and now he everyone's little darling.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Uke said:

Now, to be clear, I'm not an apologist for him.  What he (and the other 3 swimmers) did was stupid.  He's a 32 year old man and needs to start behaving like a grown up.   He talked to a reporter, didn't confess his sins and embellished the story, and his embellishment offended the tender sensibilities of Rio officials.  His penalty is being raked over the coals in the worldwide media, turned into the most hated man of the Olympics, lost his endorsements (his income) and  he'll have some kind of penalty from the swimming  federation.    At what point is enough, enough?  Phelps offenses were far far far worse IMO and now he everyone's little darling.

Phelps offenses were worse. However Phelps apologized the next day and took responsibility and hid from the spotlight.  Lochte had two opportunities to set the record straight with Bush and Lauer and he  didn't. There definitely weren't any rumors about Phelps doing reality shows after what he did. I don't think Lochte should be punished for life. I think he needs to show he is sorry which IMO he has not done. Lochte doing DWTS shows he still wants the attention that got him into this mess in the first place. He should stay away from the spotlight for a bit.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 7

While I don't care for Lochte, I think he has been crucified enough and just needs to go away. Why he is doing dwts is mind-boggling, and why they are casting him is even more bizarre. It just goes to show the producers have no shame. I don't think he is going to get huge ratings, and this is just going to make more loyal viewers turn away. What they really need to do is pull out the cash and get a famous darling who will bring more viewers to the show. Why don't they do a season where all proceeds go to charity? Maybe then they could get someone who is actually a star and would do it to bring attention to their causes rather than themselves.

11 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Phelps offenses were worse. However Phelps apologized the next day and took responsibility and hid from the spotlight.  Lochte had two opportunities to set the record straight with Bush and Lauer and he  didn't. There definitely weren't any rumors about Phelps doing reality shows after what he did. I don't think Lochte should be punished for life. I think he needs to show he is sorry which IMO he has not done. Lochte doing DWTS shows he still wants the attention that got him into this mess in the first place. He should stay away from the spotlight for a bit.

Bingo. If Lochte was really serious about wanting redemption, then he would lay low and earn it honestly like Phelps did, not pimp himself out to the first "reality" show that made him an offer. This reminds me of the scene from the Madonna concert documentary Truth Or Dare where the director asked Madonna if she wanted to talk off-camera and Warren Beatty, her then-boyfriend at the time, said that "[Madonna] doesn't want to live off-camera, much less talk."  That's Lochte's problem-he's been in the spotlight for so long that he thinks he can't live without it.  

Like PhD-Purgatory15 said, there are plenty of Gold-medalists that TPTB could/should have asked who are much better than Ryan Lochte, but once again they let their greed cloud their judgment, but this time I think/hope it will backfire, big-time.

Edited by DollEyes
To add stuff.
  • Love 3

If it were just Ryan Lochte, idiotic but lovable Olympic gold medalist swimmer, I'd be alright with the casting.  But you know they casted him to be Ryan Lochte, douchebag frat bro Bad Boy of Swimming.  Then the producers are going to give him the worst partner possible to bring out the worst side of himself. I'm thinking Witney or Jenna.  He's someone who needs a seasoned pro like Peta or Karina, both of whom are out this season.

30 minutes ago, Saytura said:

If it were just Ryan Lochte, idiotic but lovable Olympic gold medalist swimmer, I'd be alright with the casting.  But you know they casted him to be Ryan Lochte, douchebag frat bro Bad Boy of Swimming.  Then the producers are going to give him the worst partner possible to bring out the worst side of himself. I'm thinking Witney or Jenna.  He's someone who needs a seasoned pro like Peta or Karina, both of whom are out this season.

Or Anna, Cheryl (both out, alas), or Sharna.  An experienced pro who won't put up with his bull for a nanosecond.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Why don't they do a season where all proceeds go to charity? Maybe then they could get someone who is actually a star and would do it to bring attention to their causes rather than themselves.

I think this is a great idea!  They've obviously been struggling for awhile to get real stars, hence all the controversial trainwrecks and "who's that?!" contestants.  I think it would bring some much needed fresh air to the show to have more of a purpose.   

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Or Anna, Cheryl (both out, alas), or Sharna.  An experienced pro who won't put up with his bull for a nanosecond.

Here goes my wish that I wouldn't have to see his mug again. His PR people are a sham, I echo the idea that he should have done something redemptive, like rehab or volunteer/charity work, before coming on the show. I mean... I remember Michael Phelps doing something illegal, was it weed? I honestly can't remember what it was which shows that he handled it the right way. If that's what it was, I also do not think that's worse than what Ryan did by a long shot. 

To be fair, Jenna has been doing both DWTS and SYTYCD for years now. I think she's been behind the scenes, and in front of the camera enough, to at the very least have an idea of how to handle a Ryan Lochte situation. Especially if her and Val or as close as they are rumored to be, she'll be getting good advice from someone who knows the ropes as well. From any of the new pros they may bring on, she's probably best equipped to deal with him as a partner. 

I honestly think a partner I don't want to see him with is Emma. I just don't see those 2 personalities meshing. I see him with Allison, Jenna, or maybe Lindsay if she's a pro. 

What's considered a real star? DWTS is never going to get A-Listers or even B-List actors/actresses. And certainly because there may be some who appear on the show that others have never heard of doesn't make them any less of a star. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, PTVjones said:

Here goes my wish that I wouldn't have to see his mug again. His PR people are a sham, I echo the idea that he should have done something redemptive, like rehab or volunteer/charity work, before coming on the show. I mean... I remember Michael Phelps doing something illegal, was it weed? I honestly can't remember what it was which shows that he handled it the right way. If that's what it was, I also do not think that's worse than what Ryan did by a long shot. 

To be fair, Jenna has been doing both DWTS and SYTYCD for years now. I think she's been behind the scenes, and in front of the camera enough, to at the very least have an idea of how to handle a Ryan Lochte situation. Especially if her and Val or as close as they are rumored to be, she'll be getting good advice from someone who knows the ropes as well. From any of the new pros they may bring on, she's probably best equipped to deal with him as a partner. 

I honestly think a partner I don't want to see him with is Emma. I just don't see those 2 personalities meshing. I see him with Allison, Jenna, or maybe Lindsay if she's a pro. 

Phelps after '04 Olympics DUI, Phelps  after '08 Olympics bong shot in tabloids, and in 2014 he had a second DUI. He went to rehab. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, TotalHellion said:

What's considered a real star? DWTS is never going to get A-Listers or even B-List actors/actresses. And certainly because there may be some who appear on the show that others have never heard of doesn't make them any less of a star. 

I'd consider some past people like Emmitt Smith and Nicole Swcherzinger fairly big stars...maybe not "A" list, but most people have probably heard of them. They were better than the reality show people and internet "stars" they have now. They have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long time now, and it doesn't look like that's about to change.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I'd consider some past people like Emmitt Smith and Nicole Swcherzinger fairly big stars...maybe not "A" list, but most people have probably heard of them. They were better than the reality show people and internet "stars" they have now. They have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long time now, and it doesn't look like that's about to change.

It depends on the age of the viewers. I'm 38 and knew who Nicole Sherzinger was but my parents who are in their 60s had never heard of her before. It's all going to vary. And while many people may not like reality TV it's still a popular genre that's made many people a household name so they deserve a shot to dance on another "reality"/competition show. 

You're also going to have people who don't know every NFL player who appears so again it will vary on how well known each star is. So my overall point is that a star to one viewer may not be considered a star by another. We all have different definitions. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PTVjones said:

I was referring to the two incidents of driving while intoxicated which IMO is much worse than Ryan's incident of malicious mischief (using the simple definition: "the willful destruction of another person's property for vicious, wanton, or mischievous purposes" as I don't know what authorities in Rio, or Matt Lauer, would call it).

I agree his PR people are a sham - they should have been on top of this the morning of the incident.   My guess (assuming he has signed for DWTS), his people (the 10 percenters who just lost their cut of his endorsement deals) convinced him that a stint on DWTS would be the perfect way to rehab his image. 

Clearly Lochte isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but there's got to be somebody he listens to that'll advise in his favor.   I can just imagine Deena Katz cooing to him about how she'll "take good care" of him all the while salivating at the thought of scandalous headlines.

• Love 2

A clue from the show Instagram....It says Artem's partner is "a published author, released a country album, and started acting when she was 9."

Also, various sources (People, US Weekly, etc.) are saying Terra Jole from Little Women: LA is in. 

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Katydid said:

A clue from the show Instagram....It says Artem's partner is "a published author, released a country album, and started acting when she was 9."

Looking at the speculation in the comments, it could be Maureen McCormick.

2 hours ago, Katydid said:

Also, various sources (People, US Weekly, etc.) are saying Terra Jole from Little Women: LA is in. 

Well, at the very least, she should be a decently good dancer - she's a Britney Spears impersonator. I have never seen Little Women: LA, but I did see her on an episode of RuPauls Drag Race last season and she had a really stank attitude, so she did not endear herself to me. I have to assume if she's in then she'll be with Sasha, right?  He's the shortest male pro I think. 

I was thinking Sasha as well. I read in one of the articles that she is 4'2". A quick Google of Sasha's height anywhere from 5'5" to 5'7" (not sure if thats accurate). So with her wearing heels, it might be workable though still a big difference.

On 8/25/2016 at 6:18 PM, Katydid said:

ET rumor has it that Marsha Brady herself...Maureen McCormick is appearing and she fits that description

5 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Has this been speculated on yet? I haven't heard anything about football players but looks like they've got another one.

Has to be someone retired since this will be occurring during the NFL season. Not real surprised by a football player.

ETA: Gah. Purgatory outtyped me. Bah.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 1

Call me quickdraw lol.

For some reason Randy Moss popped into my head as a possibility. Or maybe Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions who just retired. I would totally be on board with that...

A more plausible, and far worse case scenario is that it's noted and broke famewhore Terrell Owens. Who I would've sworn had already done DWTS. It feels like he should have already.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Call me quickdraw lol.

For some reason Randy Moss popped into my head as a possibility. Or maybe Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions who just retired. I would totally be on board with that...

A more plausible, and far worse case scenario is that it's noted and broke famewhore Terrell Owens. Who I would've sworn had already done DWTS. It feels like he should have already.

Sounds like Calvin Johnson might be it. Was born in Georgia, whole career with the Lions.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Yessss. Calvin Johnson is super cool. He's 6'5 or 6'6 so Lindsay will have to factor that into all their dancing equations.

Finally, somebody to really get on board w/ in this cast!

I like it! I don't know the most about his personality but I'm from a family of Lions fans, so I can get behind rooting for him. Also I like what Lindsey's been putting together these last few seasons so I like seeing her get someone it seems like she can do something with.

He's like the anti-Lochte.

Universally respected in the locker room and on the field. Not cocky, just someone supremely confident in his athletic ability while simultaneously being an extremely hard worker. Lindsay absolutely has someone to work with. He'll be hard pressed to be have the natural showmanship that Wanya was blessed with....I tend to think his strengths might be more in line w/ the dances that Alek Skarlatos did well, but he should (IMO) be able to reach higher highs than Alek ever was able to.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

My brother commented tonight that he would watch an episode of DWTS if they did something like had Christopher Walken as a guest judge. He's probably way too A-list for them, but I can dream, right? He has a dance background. (Which makes me think of Hugh Jackman as a guest judge, too...)

30 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

If this show wants an Olympian, go get the best gymnast to ever balance on a beam. The woman who changed gymnastics as we know it is chomping at the bit to do this show. Olga Kobut for the win!

The woman is 60 now.  I somehow question whether she'd be able to move the same way she did when she was 16.

Latest twitter speculation is Emma + someone who has to do with the outdoors/animals (probably Jack Hanna?) and Sharna + someone she had to go to Texas for (an Indy car driver? There's a race there this weekend.)

Who do we think ended up with Lochte? Is the world ready for a Witney + Lochte pairing? 

1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Who do we think ended up with Lochte? Is the world ready for a Witney + Lochte pairing? 

I think they made that movie (and sequel) already.

MV5BZDQwMjNiMTQtY2UwYy00NjhiLTk0ZWEtZWM5

Sigh. Sorry. That was mean. I at least think Witney seems sweet.

• Love 1

I'm not a fan of having politicians on the show (rumors of Rick Perry, ugh). But if we had to have a politician, you know who I'd want to see? Aaron Schock, the young Congressman from IL who posed open-shirt for Men's Fitness, then resigned in disgrace after a spending scandal. He's been out of the spotlight long enough, it would be a jump-start for a redemption tour if he wants to get back into politics.

I want what I always want. Different communities of people getting someone to champion. My father is probably the world's biggest Rodeo and Professional Bullriding fan. He's given DWTS two hoots exactly one time in history, when Ty Murray was a part of the cast. It was fascinating to see how that played out in the Western Sports Media (Ty himself keeping a meticulous and interesting online blog for PBR.com certainly helped). Louie Vito similarly gave people stoked about Winter extreme sports and U.S. Snowboarding a reason to be interested.

There's never been an actor or actress (or anyone in general for that matter) on DWTS of Indian descent. So I give you Kal Penn from ABC's own Designated Survivor. Not sure what she's on now, but ton's of people would remember and enjoy Parminder Nagra from Bend it Like Beckham, ER, and the short lived Alcatraz...Priyanka Chopra would probably be too big of get at the moment, but w/ the ABC connection never say never...

Lindsey Vonn would be the perfect type of athlete for the show, if she wasn't broken in half from falls in competition or training most of the time. So Mikaela Schiffrin is the new queen of American Skiing. Maybe her? I do like the Hilary Knight pick, that's a gender/sport combination we've never had before.

I think we also might be due for a "body positive" model or actress. Ashley Graham had some late speculation for this past season. She'd in the range of people who DWTS could legitimately get. Maybe Ariel Winter (or the dream of all dreams.....Kelly Clarkson) from the world's of acting or music. Elle King's has been a performer on multiple occasions....someone else to consider.

Authors and/or Public Intellectuals are always interesting (if not capable). It's fun to watch someone like Tavis Smiley or Bill Nye exist in the DWTS-o-sphere. So, Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Someone like a Blake Mycoskie from TOMS shoes maybe...

Semi-coherent. But it's a start.

• Love 2

Jordin Sparks would be a big get for the show as a former Idol winner and she's just famous enough to be a big star, but not busy enough or huge enough to think it couldn't happen.

Ashley Tisdale crossed my mind as well.

• Love 1

Since there isn't a proper rumor mill thread for this coming season up yet, I'll leave this here for now....one of the other rumor/speculation sites flagged Ashley Benson (of PLL fame) for starting to follow Mark on twitter, and Ricky Schroder (of multiple seasons of DWTS speculation fame) being at an event with Witney Carson in the last few days.

Probably will end up being nothing but these are really the first two names other than Nick the Bachelor (who is just there by default) for this season..we're not that far out, I guess I thought there might be more names out in the ether by now...

On 11/24/2016 at 6:16 AM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

There's never been an actor or actress (or anyone in general for that matter) on DWTS of Indian descent. So I give you Kal Penn from ABC's own Designated Survivor. Not sure what she's on now, but ton's of people would remember and enjoy Parminder Nagra from Bend it Like Beckham, ER, and the short lived Alcatraz...Priyanka Chopra would probably be too big of get at the moment, but w/ the ABC connection never say never...

As an Indian-American I would love this. There are plenty of Bollywood people who would probably do it. They would sort of be ringers, but it's not like they haven't had ringers on the show before LOL. 

• Love 1