Type keyword(s) to search

Wish Upon a Star: Who Would You Like To See On DWTS?

• Start Topic

Taylor Hicks would be lots of fun!

If they want the American Idol couple gimmick, they could choose Ace Young & Diana DeGarmo, who are now married.

When I was in Arizona last month, Diane DeGarmo was in the touring company of Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Coat so it seems she might be busy with that.

I don't wish for this but I wonder if going with a 14yr old is just getting us prepared for one of the girls from Dance Moms I could see them thinking getting Maddie as a big get.

I do wish for a baseball player, though with the way a MLB season runs they would have to be retired. Have we had a male soccer player on? Maybe Landon Donavan, he's retired now I think.

I would like to see someone like Reba McEntire on. I think she would be a lot of fun.

I don't wish for this but I wonder if going with a 14yr old is just getting us prepared for one of the girls from Dance Moms I could see them thinking getting Maddie as a big get.

I do wish for a baseball player, though with the way a MLB season runs they would have to be retired. Have we had a male soccer player on? Maybe Landon Donavan, he's retired now I think.

I would like to see someone like Reba McEntire on. I think she would be a lot of fun.

That's a frightening thought - a Dance Moms girl and Abby in rehearsals trying to run things? Noooooooo!

Maddie, their "star" is quite tiny. I think she's only 12 and hasn't had her growth spurt yet. I'd bet Abby has already begged to get her girls on - the whole lot of them with their moms were in the audience whatever season it was that Abby guest judged. I saw a lot of backlash over Abby's being on the show so I don't know if TPTB would risk more backlash - or if TPTB would relish the backlash.  (And you know they'd stick her with Mark since he was one of the first to publicly criticize Abby. Conflict! Drama!)

Once more...just NOOOOOOOO!

I'd love to see the Property Brothers--if they let Canadians participate on DWTS!  A competition between identical twins Jonathan and Drew Scott might be fun as they are 6'5" tall with looong legs.  They don't seem to mind being goofy and busting a move on their shows.

And perhaps they could be persuaded to shave occasionally.

• Love 2

I'd love to see the Property Brothers--if they let Canadians participate on DWTS!  A competition between identical twins Jonathan and Drew Scott might be fun as they are 6'5" tall with looong legs.  They don't seem to mind being goofy and busting a move on their shows.

And perhaps they could be persuaded to shave occasionally.

Pam Anderson is Canadian.

I think the bigger issue is that if the show goes for basic cable stars, it's probably not going to be from a channel having nothing to do with Disney.

I do think given the proximity to the Women's World Cup (particularly if the U.S. does well/wins it all) we could see someone from that team on the fall season. Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach are the two most notable stars and I could see either hopefully erasing people's memory of Hope Solo's time on DWTS.

Another athlete that is currently dominant, would be the skier Mikaela Shiffrin. Not sure if there would be an extended enough break in the season or her training for her to make the time commitment though. If we were ever going to get a current NBA player to try and do it....Blake Griffin of the Clippers might be the guy. He's in a billion commercials so he's clearly willing to put himself out there, and logistically by being based in L.A. he'd have a minimum of travel issues compared to any player who tried to do it while competing on a non L.A. team.

For some reason I was thinking Natasha Bedingfield might be around the right "level" of musical star the show could actually get a la Gavin DeGraw. Other musical possibilities that could be interesting might include Rob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty or Tyson Ritter from All American Rejects. From Country, I wonder if Miss "I hope you dance", Leeann Womack would have any interest. What would really be amazing is if they could get Amy Grant and Vince Gill to compete in the same season like they were trying to do w/ Ty Murray and Jewel before she had to pull out w/ injuries.

Others that would intrigue me would be Anthony Bourdain, the comedian Sara Rue, ESPN personality and Grantland (a sports and pop culture website) founder Bill Simmons, Somebody from the culinary world like Katie Lee or Geoffrey Zakarian.......and finally we need to see if Cat Deeley can actually dance!

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Hey now Kromm, AB's my spirit animal. Anyone who's thinks he's a sellout needs to come w/ some pretty hard evidence that they aren't just confusing sellout w/ wildly successful (and critically acclaimed for good measure).

That being said, the odds that he'd ever compete on DWTS are pretty astronomical. But he does at least have an ABC tie in w/ his stint as a judge/mentor on The Taste and as an aside I would have felt comfortable betting a large sum of money that Tavis Smiley would've never showed up in a DWTS cast, and I would have finally lost that money last season. So it's not an impossibility, just extremely, extremely unlikely.

Bourdain isn't a sellout because he's successful. If he is (and I did say "arguably" not that it's a sure thing), it's because of stuff like 'The Taste', which seem totally at odds with the general disdain he'd often claim earlier in his career to have for spoonfed cultural pablum fed to the masses

I have always wanted Chili or T-Boz from TLC or the girl who played Ashley on The Fresh Prince to appear but frankly, I would not appear on this show if I were a Black female celebrity. Except, of course,unless you are an aging diva who has no chance of winning. They will need you to sing during the finale.

Being paired with Derek can help.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this season, so no bleach needed for me, but my answer to this, until it happens, will forever be a JVDB vs Dean Cain showdown. (Keep James away from the tea.)

Alternate choice: both Mowry sisters. At the same time. Even better than a married couple. Best yet, pair one with Val and one with Derek. (Some people just want to watch the world burn...)

• Love 1

I'd love to see Lauren Graham or Alexis Bledel from the Gilmore Girls or Lori Loughlin or Uncle Jessie from Full House

Good luck with the latter, since John Stamos is currently starring in his own show on a rival network.  Then again, the whole point of a Wish List is just that -- to wish for something even if it may never come true!

Edited by legaleagle53

I enjoyed this season, so no bleach needed for me, but my answer to this, until it happens, will forever be a JVDB vs Dean Cain showdown. (Keep James away from the tea.)

Alternate choice: both Mowry sisters. At the same time. Even better than a married couple. Best yet, pair one with Val and one with Derek. (Some people just want to watch the world burn...)

YESSSSS! Both suggestions would be epic.  Have Krysten Ritter appear randomly throughout the season. 

I still can't tell Tia and Tamera apart. I know one of them has a mole, but don't know which one. Having them compete against each other would be a new civil war turning sista against sista. 

I also would love it if James Van Der Beek and Joshua Jackson faced off. Dawson vs. Pacey.

Anthony Anderson or Tracee Ellis Ross would be fun and would be a good cross over. I would love if Danielle Fischel did it too.

Good luck with the latter, since John Stamos is currently starring in his own show on a rival network.  Then again, the whole point of a Wish List is just that -- to wish for something even if it may never come true!

A girl can wish can't she?

YESSSSS! Both suggestions would be epic.  Have Krysten Ritter appear randomly throughout the season. 

I still can't tell Tia and Tamera apart. I know one of them has a mole, but don't know which one. Having them compete against each other would be a new civil war turning sista against sista. 

I also would love it if James Van Der Beek and Joshua Jackson faced off. Dawson vs. Pacey.

Anthony Anderson or Tracee Ellis Ross would be fun and would be a good cross over. I would love if Danielle Fischel did it too.

Anthony Anderson would be fun - didn't Danielle Fischel already do DWTS or did I just make that up in my head?  (which is very possible)

didn't Danielle Fischel already do DWTS or did I just make that up in my head?  (which is very possible)

As far as I know she hasn't, unless she was like Bindi and defected to a difference country to participate in theirs.

I will second/third/fourth ... whatever either a James van der Beek/Joshua Jackson face off OR a James van der Beek/Dean Cain face off. I think I'd prefer the latter, but either is acceptable.

That said, I also like the idea of a Sister/Sister faceoff with the Mowrys. Especially if you give one Derek and one Val. That would be a pretty great angle.

Edited by McManda

In the hope that this show can get better, I would suggest the following celebrities:

Wayne Brady, comedian and singer

John Corbett, of Sex and The City and Northern Exposure--since I hear his voice on commercials, maybe he would  be willing to do DWTS 

Cindy Sherman, artist and impersonator

Katie Finneran,  t.v. actress

Andy Karl, who played Rocky on Broadway recently and is --wow!--handsome

• Love 1

Joanna Garcia Swisher would be fun. I've always liked her as actress and she has ties to ABC, notably as Ariel on OUAT.

Plus it's a great way to get her MLB husband, Nick Swisher in the audience.

Speaking of which, why no MLB players? I know the seasons runs through both DWTS season but someone retired. Derek Jeter perhaps?

Edited by PBGamer89

There were rumors of a retired MLB star (never confirmed to be Jeter) appearing this past season. Since we ended up only getting Victor (a jockey) as the lone athlete, I'm thinking the spring could be athlete heavy. NASCAR's Jeff Gordon recently retired so he immediately popped into my head.

I think one of the leads from Fresh off the Boat would be fun (Randall Park or Constance Wu). I'd also like to see a non-Paula Deen individual from the culinary world again....but not Nigella (I wasn't a fan when she was a judge on the Taste). Rachel Ray would be the holy grail....but I'd settle for Katie Lee, or Scott Conant or even Carla Hall from the Chew if we must have the ABC tie-in.

Another female comedian maybe...one of the Broad City girls probably is too much to ask for though. Iliza Schlesinger would absolutely be a riot.

One more for more diversity.....Parminder Nagra!

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

There were rumors of a retired MLB star (never confirmed to be Jeter) appearing this past season. Since we ended up only getting Victor (a jockey) as the lone athlete, I'm thinking the spring could be athlete heavy. NASCAR's Jeff Gordon recently retired so he immediately popped into my head.

I think one of the leads from Fresh off the Boat would be fun (Randall Park or Constance Wu). I'd also like to see a non-Paula Deen individual from the culinary world again....but not Nigella (I wasn't a fan when she was a judge on the Taste). Rachel Ray would be the holy grail....but I'd settle for Katie Lee, or Scott Conant or even Carla Hall from the Chew if we must have the ABC tie-in.

Another female comedian maybe...one of the Broad City girls probably is too much to ask for though. Iliza Schlesinger would absolutely be a riot.

One more for more diversity.....Parminder Nagra!

The problem with Jeff Gordon doing it in the Spring is that he's going to be a commentator for the FOX portion of the season.  Which runs through June at most.

I don't watch NASCAR but a race car driver would be nice. Waltrip had a creepy personality but I like some of the others. Would love to see someone from the Walking Dead or Criminal MInds or Vampire Diaries! And oh, how I would love to see Cam Newton. They guy can shake it on the field!

Edited by boyznkatz

For Backstreet Boysers, looks like AJ might be considering a run

Oh please let this be true! That would be amazing and hilarious at the same time. For those of you who aren't familiar with AJ, he's the "bad boy" (LOL) type in BSB. And he's all tattooed up and a huge fabricator - his tall tales are known throughout BSB fandom. He does have dance experience but I don't think hardly any partnering experience. 

LOL if ever there was a "showdown" between Val and Derek that would be it. To echo another poster, I still can't tell them apart. One was the "serious" one and one was the "goofy" one on the show and that's about all I remember. I know one of them has always been very adamant about having a persona outside of her sister so unless ABC was offering serious money (which they might since they are also former Disney Channel Original Movie stars) I doubt this would happen. Would love if at least one of them did it though. 

I would love any of the gymnast from women's '96 gymnastics Olympic team. The Atlanta games have a special place in my heart and Dominique Dawes was like... my hero. I'd hands down vote for any of them though. 

Oh please let this be true! That would be amazing and hilarious at the same time. For those of you who aren't familiar with AJ, he's the "bad boy" (LOL) type in BSB. And he's all tattooed up and a huge fabricator - his tall tales are known throughout BSB fandom. He does have dance experience but I don't think hardly any partnering experience. 

Are you saying that AJ makes things happen? Sounds like gossip, do tell! LOL

AJ and Kevin were always my faves in BSB, but AJ I think by far is the best dancer so I'm all for AJ joining.

Also chiming in for Tatyana Ali from Fresh Prince joining the cast. She's still beautiful, pretty sure she graduated from Harvard, and always seemed to have her head on pretty straight. A good role model all around. 

Are you saying that AJ makes things happen? Sounds like gossip, do tell! LOL

AJ and Kevin were always my faves in BSB, but AJ I think by far is the best dancer so I'm all for AJ joining.

I ended up becoming a big BSB fan back in the day when my kids were younger. AJ was known for being a giant fibber - I can't recall any specific lies but it would be along the lines of the band working with hip-hop people or somebody random that would never pan out. Among lots of other random lies. He'd remind me of a young kid that would say something like "hey, I have a dinosaur in my closet and he's blue and green and smokes a pipe". I actually met AJ once.  We had a rather long random conversation starting in an elevator and ending all the way down in the lobby of the hotel. A very cool guy and down to earth. 

I think Kevin would be more of a ringer as he taught ballroom dancing in the past. Plus he's not a great hip-hop style dancer (I remember people comparing him to a dancing penguin, it's a visual lol). 

• Love 1

It's been awhile since we've had a figure skater (not ice dancer like Meryl & Charlie) but I'd like to see Michelle Kwan, Todd Eldridge, or Katia Gordeeva. 

A gymnast would be cool....Nadia Comaneci and/or her husband Bart Conner. I'm not as familiar with the newer gymnasts as many of them are still competing and wouldn't be available for DWTS.

Jojo - the singer, was on Jimmy Fallon last night. It's been awhile since she's done anything. DWTS could re-introduce her to America. She has a great voice too.

I don't know if they've ever tapped into the tennis world but I would rather see a tennis rivalry rather than a husband& wife one. John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg would be epic.

Oh...and I'll add....I want to see Tony & Iman (the model). 

Edited by RemoteControl88
  • Love 1

I've been saying JoJo for years.

She screams "good but smaller fanbase" so naturally she'd go to Mark. That seems to be his type the last 2 seasons.

It seems like everyone in Hollywood has been asked to do DWTS at least once. She may not be interested. I think she'd be a good fit for the show though...so I hope they ask her...and I hope she says yes. 

As for Mark. It will be REALLY interesting to see who his next partner will be. I wonder if Mark & JoJo were paired....would they end up like Mark & Christina Milian or Mark & Alexa...good dancers but left early.  In the most recent seasons, Mark has gone deep into the competition when his partner was well known in the Christian/conservative community (Bristol Palin, Candace Cameron Bure & Sadie Robertson).  JoJo might fair better with someone else given Mark's history.

For Tennis they've had Monica Seles.

Thanks for that. I did a little youtube search and there was not much footage of Monica dancing on the show.

I also forgot about Martina Navratilova.  But I think she was a early exit her season so I forgot she was even on the show. A male tennis star would be a change of pace though.

Great picks everyone!  I didn't watch last season, so hoping they get some really good celebs for the Spring.

I would love a JVDB vs Dean Cain showdown.

The Mowry sisters is another good pick (w/Derek and Val)

I want to see a baseball player: famous and retired: Derek Jeter, Johnny Damon, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posado, Mike Piazza

Tennis players: James Blake, Andy Roddick

• Love 1

Mittengirl I wish I could like your post a million times.

I could go for an ex-baseball player just not anyone who was a Yankee.

As much as he annoys me Kevin Millar would probably be fun as would Mark DeRosa.  Eric Byrnes would also be fun.

I'd like to see those who are actual fans of the show.  People like George Clooney and Sofia Vergara, yes they're A listers, probably wouldn't be caught dead doing the show, but this is their guilty pleasure so it's about time the producers spent some real money for some real "gets"  It's all about the dough so ABC cough it up you miserly bastards. The dividends would be a good insurance for the future of the show. When you bring on the best, like a legendary football player, not the run of the mill free agents, you get a much better buy in for the season. It's the same with actors. Get somebody worth watching for the entire season, not just until about week 6 when the team dancing starts and Grandma is put out to pasture. 

Also, I don't want jackasses that don't give a fuck about dancing, but just come on the show for publicity or to promote their failing Zoo and defend their decision to join with that hateful Seaworld that kills magnificent Orcas. 

The people who get my respect and ultimately my vote are those who prepare.  Apolo Ohno and Jason Taylor and Ralph Macchio are ones who admitted they decided they didn't want to look like jackasses and got some outside dance training prior to signing for the show.  They are promoting themselves, not trying to save the family business.  As such, they have a bit more respect for the art of dance.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 3

The people who get my respect and ultimately my vote are those who prepare. Apolo Ohno and Jason Taylor and Ralph Macchio are ones who admitted they decided they didn't want to look like jackasses and got some outside dance training prior to signing for the show. They are promoting themselves, not trying to save the family business. As such, they have a bit more respect for the art of dance.

Then just have a season of ringers/semi-professionals and be done with it, but don't expect me to tune in, because I would find that boring as hell to watch. To me, it's much more exciting and inspiring to see people like Alek who know nothing about dancing actually learn some basic skills and even discover something about themselves that they never knew -- namely, that they actually love dancing and plan to continue it after the show ends (remember, Gilles Marini came thisclose to winning in his original season because he was such a naturally talented dancer that some people actually thought he was a ringer, even though he swore that he'd never taken a dance lesson in his life. He also enjoyed dancing so much that he's kept it up ever since -- many of his post-DWTS gigs have involved scenes where he's gotten to use his new dance skills. In fact, wasn't his character on Brothers and Sisters a ballroom dance instructor?).

I'll gladly take a season of Alek, Gilles, Bindi, and Jennifer Grey (who admitted that she never really even knew she had it in her to love dance until after she'd done the show) over a season of Mario Lopez, Jason Taylor, Apolo Ohno and Ralph Macchio (even though I did like watching him dance) any day.

Edited by radishcake

The point of his thread is for people to post their own lists and what they want from the show. Stop using it as yet another spot to be ugly to people who you don't agree with. PLEASE use the ignore feature. I don't have a lot of sympathy for reports which would not even be an issue if you would just stop reading/responding to posts you just don't agree with.

• Love 2

I think some A listers or B listers might do the show if they made it about charity. Surely they could get some A or B listers from ABC anyway, maybe a Sofia Vergara or even a Ross Lynch. They did get Zendaya, who was a legit star. I remember someone (Hugh Jackman?) saying it would be fun. Maybe someone like him would do it if it were for charity. They definitely need to do something besides the people they have been getting lately. The ratings keep sinking and last season they could barely register a 2.0 rating in their coveted demographic. Maybe because no one cared much about the people who were on.

They have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel these last few seasons. I love veterans and children in real life, but not on the show. When reality show folks and washed up people are your biggest "stars" then Houston, they have a problem. What next, are they going to cast a dog on the show? LOL, at least that would be a worthy winner!

• Love 1

I think there's a laundry list somewhere of people who prepared. I'm not talking about ringers although they would naturally be there because they actually give a damn about how they dance, but people who prepared to be on the show;  people like Gilles, like Jennifer, they didn't just learn the steps from the show pros, they got help prior to the show starting. Jennifer has a truck load of dance training, she even danced in commercials when she was young. Gilles is a club dancer and everyone wanted to dance with the French Tony Manero. He wanted to follow the romantic roles because he's good at it.  He built on that, because it's good for him, as an actor..it's not to save a zoo.  As well as Sherri Shepherd, poor woman got shit on for taking a few dance lessons in New York before the show started,  but anyone who gives a shit prepares. Otherwise we get jackasses like Alex who throw temper tantrums cuz he can't fuckin dance and I just turn the tv off. No need to suffer through his rudimentary bullshit. If he took a lesson he'd know it.

I don't know if doing it for "charity" would be great, other than it might save the faces of those A listers who would be slumming on DWTS. "I don't need the money I'm doing it for charity" yada yada yada... I think the motivation has to be for their own accomplishment as a dancer. People who apply for this show have had to at least know they can get a crowd watching them dance in a club, that's something to build on and motivate. That's the only way we get quality on this show.

Edited by Andie1

Did you see the dog act that won America's Got Talent.  They beat everyone!

Haha that's funny! Seriously a dog would be more interesting than most of the people Rob Wade has cast. I never thought I'd say this, but bring back Conrad Greene please! At least he was able to get star athletes and some decent singers and actors.

• Love 2

Well my list of "gets" would probably never do it, but never say never :)

1. George Clooney- says DWTS is his guilty pleasure and two of his girlfriends have competed on the show. George and Armani and the Waltz just fits like a glove.

2. Sofia Vergara - loves the show, did some commercial for Pepsi with Mark and Corky and tweeted last season for Rue and Val to win. Good dancing and good taste, she would be a great addition, not to mention an ABC family member.  As a Columbian, she says dance is in her blood.

3. Victor Cruz-  Giants Wide Receiver, likes to Salsa in the End zone. A cutey patootey,  Now on injury list, DWTS is great re-hab.

4. Serena Williams- #1 female Tennis player in the world. Has been known to dance hip hop for her fans.  Just say yes, Serena.

5. Usher - RnB singer with mad performance skills and a beautiful dancer. We've seen him win the Voice, now would love to see him Tango.

6. Taylor Swift - Young and old alike know Miss Taylor. And she's tried on enough dance styles to Shake it Off to try more on DWTS

7. Ed Sheeran - Another young British import whose music has been a feature on DWTS.  And he even did a Rumba with Britany of the troupe in one of his videos.  He likes it. And so do we. 

8. Julianna Margulies - Gorgeous and sophisticated, Julianna took ballet as a child and her Mother was a ballerina. If the Good Wife goes on hiatus, lets get Julianna to wow us in the ballroom.

9. Hugh Jackman- it's almost unfair. Mr. Triple threat wins the Oscar, and just might take away the Mirrorball.

10 Claire Danes, an outstanding actress on Homeland, she actually began her entertainment career by learning dance.  It would be great to see Carrie Mathieson dust off her dance shoes and join the show.

11. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, why not.?. he dabbled in acting and was seen dancing with his wife behind the scenes when he learned he won the leadership.  A natural performer since he was a toddler, it would be fun to watch someone other than right wing politicians on the show. 

12 Kerry Washington another outstanding actress who has been known to shake her booty.  She was briefly in Save the Last Dance and has danced in small indie films.  ABC would love to "get" a member of their "family" a great cross promotion. Scandal and DWTS were made for each other.

How could anyone not watch the show if these A listers were on?  I think if they were nobody gets eliminated, we just watch them week to week - vote and then pick a winner at the end.  Everybody wins. Advertisers, Audience and Cast.

Edited by Andie1

The reality is an actual A lister is never doing this show. They have actual work and commitments. They don't have months to give to this show. Tamar was too busy to actually pull this off and she's not a big deal. You think the Prime Minister of Canada has time for this? He has a country to run.

I'm pleased because a real star would have the season sewn up before the first dance regardless of talent on the dance floor, connection with a partner or personality. Taylor Swift? Why even bother having a season? Usher? That's ridiculous. Why would anyone else even sign up for that season? 

I would much rather see somewhat smaller names and a real sense of competition. And some ballroom dancing. The real stuff not what we got last season.

• Love 1