Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: All My Exes Live In Essex

Cranberry

When Holmes and Watson investigate the murder of a fertility lab technician, they discover the woman had a secret personal life that leads them to multiple suspects. Also, the tables are turned on Watson when she’s investigated by an NYPD detective.

The first and last scene were my favorites in this one.  I just love watching Sherlock and Joan doing things like trying to pick supposed unpick-able handcuffs (glad that, while Sherlock did break out of course, Joan wasn't that far behind), and Sherlock making a poultice for Joan's eye.  They've came so far!  Although both still are down with annoying each other with their taste in music.  But I now want to know what does Clyde think about the Baha Men?

I figured the killer would somehow end up being one of the husbands, but I didn't predict the motive.

Is this story with Cortez done, or will she try again?  I know Joan made it sound like she got the final punch in, but I thought they might have been setting this up for a few more episodes.  At the very least, I wonder if this is hinting at others being curious about how they got reinstated, and Morland's involvement in everything.

• Love 6

Good episode, I thought it might be a husband (because you have to suspect the spouse), but I would have never have figured out the plot.

Can a detective just decide to investigate someone because they want to? Couldn't Joan have made a complaint & stopped her?

• Love 4

Why would Dr Campbell dissect his wife though? wouldnt that have left a much bigger trail? And even if he did kill his wife because he was nervous that she would expose his misdiagnosis scheme, dismembering your own dead wife takes extreme psychopathic abilities, not to mention, figuring out a way to convince the people working in that department that this was a legitimately donated body. In addition: how did Watson not see on the security cam footage, that Dr. Campbell was seen going into his wife's office late at night when no one else was around, and not emerging again ever (supposing he went through a back exit to that slicing and dicing department)?

I get that all hour-long procedurals need a lot of red herrings until the final, 1-minute conclusion, and this is admittedly the first time I watched Elementary, but what was the whole point of introducing the polyamorous relationships here - just to move the plot forward? Why did Dr Campbell tell Joan/Watson about it - was he trying to shove the blame onto one of the sister wives?

Great episode all around.

Why would Dr Campbell dissect his wife though? wouldnt that have left a much bigger trail? And even if he did kill his wife because he was nervous that she would expose his misdiagnosis scheme, dismembering your own dead wife takes extreme psychopathic abilities, not to mention, figuring out a way to convince the people working in that department that this was a legitimately donated body. In addition: how did Watson not see on the security cam footage, that Dr. Campbell was seen going into his wife's office late at night when no one else was around, and not emerging again ever (supposing he went through a back exit to that slicing and dicing department)?

I get that all hour-long procedurals need a lot of red herrings until the final, 1-minute conclusion, and this is admittedly the first time I watched Elementary, but what was the whole point of introducing the polyamorous relationships here - just to move the plot forward? Why did Dr Campbell tell Joan/Watson about it - was he trying to shove the blame onto one of the sister wives?

Great episode all around.

The guy was deliberately misdiagnosing people as having cancer and subjecting them to painful, debilitating treatments and emotional trauma along with defrauding them.  That sound pretty sociopathic right there, The skeleton was going out to some other lab/hospital/medical school and the dude had probably put the right code on it to make people think it was okay.  As for security cam footage, didn't Watson mention that there was fairly light security in the area where the wife worked? 

The polyarmorous aspect was to introduce other possible motives and suspects.  Also, Elementary likes to put interesting stuff from the world into its episodes.  Group marriage is kind of interesting.

• Love 7

At first I thought the seemingly-suspicious cop would turn out to be investigating Joan in order to try to hire her to help out their precinct instead of Gregson's, but the more we saw of her and how angry she seemed to be... nope, guess not.

I squawked when I realized we wouldn't get to see the boxing match, but I suppose I'll allow it because they faked me out with a good laugh - I was so focused on Joan's knuckles and the poultice Sherlock was making that I didn't realize they were purposely only showing half of Joan's face, in order to hit us with that big shiner. Well played, show.

Still bummed we didn't get to see her fight, but I'm glad Joan landed the last punch. Awesome.

The dueling music cracked me up too, especially Sherlock's comment about how "Who Let The Dogs Out" appeals to him as a detective. Heee.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

I liked that the polyamory was totally benign, and it was only incidental that the murderer was a spouse.

I noticed that when one of the wife suspects threatened to make a scene, Bell didn't break a sweat: If you don't want to be embarrassed, you won't be making any gestures to cause the media to be involved. He wasn't even ruffled. And the actress gave an excellent "my bluff has been called/humiliation" face. It's the little things that make this show so fun to watch.

I am loving the lack of UST between Sherlock and Joan, even as their friendship grows stronger and stronger. I think this is the most amazing totally asexual friendship portrayal I have seen on TV, where even relationships that are not meant to be sexual tend to ooze chemistry and leak romantic overtones. Seeing these two characters take care of each other, live together, share crises, victories, secrets, and stories, without any of that tension, it's really interesting.

And this week Joan solved the case before Sherlock did.

I find their relationship strangely calming. It's deep without being passionate, in some way. Even when they argue, or tease each other, it's totally even keeled. So interesting for a hot-head such as myself to see.

• Love 18

I liked that this started as as civilian missing person case for Joan from her old hospital and that Joan's medical knowledge did solve the case. She does have that over Sherlock. One of my earlier favourite moments of the show is when Sherlock and Joan had a moment dissecting a body, and he almost fanboyed over her surgical technique. 

I also liked the inclusion of group marriage/atypical families in the plot as incidental and without being preachy about it. The show has a decent track record with societal fringes and outliers. Poor Branford though.

I do wonder if the Cortez thing is over. I'd like Joan to get some grudging respect over what happened and we didn't get to see the fight.

When will we see Alfredo and Miss Hudson again?

• Love 3

In a sea of reruns and football, this weeks episode was welcome gem. But it did suffer from enough Bell & Quinn. And unlike some, I'd like to see more of the Coney Island Stalker. (I still believe she has a crush on Watson) :)

"And this week Joan solved the case before Sherlock did.

That was especially nice, given how often she was made to restate Sherlock's words this episode. "You mean the thing you just said means marriage to more than one person is defined as marriage to more than one person? Because I am a human in my late 30s or early 40s or whatever in one of the largest cities in the world, and I never!"

• Love 1

In a sea of reruns and football, this weeks episode was welcome gem. But it did suffer from enough Bell & Quinn. And unlike some, I'd like to see more of the Coney Island Stalker. (I still believe she has a crush on Watson) :)

I just remembered her as Ramirez from The Dark Knight.  I figure that we'll see her again either getting a consultation from Joan or possibly getting murdered and having it blamed on Joan.  This might turn into this season's "For All You Know." 

What I learned from this episode is that you should always get a second opinion on your cancer diagnosis. What a horrible guy! The murder of his wife wasn't half as disturbing to me as him giving chemo to hundreds of people who didn't need it just for prestige or money. And the people in his clinic seemed to know that this was happening and went along with it. That's just messed up.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 2
Can a detective just decide to investigate someone because they want to? Couldn't Joan have made a complaint & stopped her?

I don't see why a detective can't do as she wishes (legally, that is. Morally is another matter). The detective wasn't harassing Joan directly. Officers will often (and have in this show) harassed or threatened to harass suspects or people who have information they want. Hell, Holmes and Watson essentially threatened the deceased's colleague by threatening to out what they suspected he'd been doing after stalking his social media postings. Not cool, guys.

If I were Joan, I'd be asking my friends why they cooperated. An officer comes up to me asking about a friend, they better have a warrant.

[brandon] not only lost two spouses simultaneously, but he can't even tell anyone about it because their marriage was a secret!

Did he not lose a child as well?

Is this story with Cortez done, or will she try again?  I know Joan made it sound like she got the final punch in, but I thought they might have been setting this up for a few more episodes.  At the very least, I wonder if this is hinting at others being curious about how they got reinstated, and Morland's involvement in everything.

Oh, Cortez will be back, but I'm betting eventually as a friend, not a foe. As for her threat to look into how Holmes and Watson got reinstated, I think that's utterly toothless. Doubtless lots are people are wondering how they got reinstated so quickly after being personae non grata, but with Morland behind it, it won't really matter. Cortez looks too hard into this, and she'll find herself with a job better than she ever dreamed of - far away from NYC.

• Love 1
I hope they were able to arrange for Branford to become the two year old's guardian.

That'll be a tough one. From what we were told about him, he was totally hidden. He would be unlikely have any biological or legal rights to the child under the circumstances that were implied. Thing is, this is NYC, where poly relationships are not unheard of, as dakiMel alluded to - and poor Branford could have lived openly with his mates. They'd just need a lawyer to draw up contracts to make their responsibilities to each other clear - how assets are divided if necessary and how assets and guardianship of children will be managed in the case of death or incapacitation (or in this case, both).

No! It was the middle of the night, they were not having a moment.

That was a hilarious scene, Sherlock (I'm betting deliberately) screwing up so badly that Watson just had to take the scalpel out of his hand. What episode was that?

Cheated! We were cheated! I totally wanted to see that fight.

Lets face it. They probably don't pay Lucy Liu enough for that.

No, I'm thinking they didn't want to spend the time on it. Even when Sherlock gets into combat. it's short and over quick. This would have taken time and drawn focus from the episode (Oooo, catfight!). I was sufficiently impressed that Liu allowed herself to be shown with a black eye - though of course, it'll all be healed by the next episode.

"Could someone tell me how the episode ended? Thanks to CBS's love of DVRs, the episode started four minutes late"

It was a football game that ran a couple of minutes late. I forgot to add time. I thought all I had missed were the scenes from the next episode. Not sure when that is since there's another football game next Thursday.

Edited by wonderwoman

No, I'm thinking they didn't want to spend the time on it.

I think they wanted that brief comic moment of Lucy's face being revealed with that spectacular bruise around her eye. That was probably the more important moment to the writers - that, and two other things: 1) having the line where she says she landed the last, most important punch, which subtly (and amusingly) showed off Joan's abilities, and 2) Sherlock prepping the poultice for her (which was really sweet and endearing).

That's my guess, anyway.

I do wish we could have seen a little bit of it, though. Lucy Liu does kick ass, and I like that.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

Lets face it. They probably don't pay Lucy Liu enough for that.

Joan has had only one previous girl fight that I recall...She and Kitty went at it with short sticks on the sidewalk. Have there been any others?  

You sure this has nothing to do with watching two women engage in some foxy boxing?

Good one, johntfs. You and galax-arena are reminding me how clever the dialogue can be, even if the cases are usually shite. 

Joan has had only one previous girl fight that I recall...She and Kitty went at it with short sticks on the sidewalk. Have there been any others?

I'm pretty sure not - and that was more of a sparring match. I don't believe either landed a blow ;)

Off hand, I can only think of two other times that Watson has gotten physical: the guy she took out with her baton that Holmes was chasing through Washington Square Park - which, iirc, was totally gratuitous. I don't think it had anything to do with TCoTW. It was just an excuse for Liu to be hot and badass, taking a guy out with one blow. The second was when she beaned the bad undercover Federal Agent with poor Angus in the brownstone, probably saving her life, Rhys' and possibly Holmes' in the process (though Angus and Rhys required some medical care).

That's not counting all the hilarious "Could've been a knife" contre temps between Holmes and Watson.

• Love 1
They'd just need a lawyer to draw up contracts to make their responsibilities to each other clear - how assets are divided if necessary and how assets and guardianship of children will be managed in the case of death or incapacitation (or in this case, both).

I'm still obsessing about Branford and his possible custody rights to the two year old.  I am hoping that they had consulted a lawyer to draw up a contract, in light of the fact that they both knew the "wife" in their relationship was dying of pancreatic cancer.

• Love 1

Hopefully, even if they didn't have custody arrangements in writing before, they can still draw up the paperwork now. Especially if the murdering parent is co-operative with the police, maybe Bell and Gregson would agree to making that part of a plea deal, i.e. "I will confess and make this easy, in exchange for saving my kid from the foster system by letting us get adoption paperwork in order for the third parent."

I honestly totally did not remember that the "thrupple" had a kid. I must have dozed off or gotten distracted and missed that scene?

I might be an idiot but it seems like it actually shouldn't be that difficult to get the kid in the custody of the third. Especially if the dead wife had something as simple as a will, if murder-husband were to be incarcerated and mom's will said Branford gets the kid should they both be dead/incapacitated, it'd be an easy lawyer's argument, I'd think, that as long as he's willing he just...should get custody even though bio-dad is still alive. Unless they could establish some sort of reason Branford were unfit, I'd imagine authorities would rather she go with someone she knows and is comfortable with than add to an already stretched thin foster system.

Or perhaps she has living grandparents.

I mean, if you're going to live in a thruple and have children, it'd be completely idiotic to not have the proper paperwork done for what happens to the kids in a catastrophic scenario. But maybe they're that dumb.

Edited by theatremouse

They can draw up contracts but in the end a judge decides on custody. The child was not Branford's. I doubt that any judge would award custody and guardianship of a two-year old to a single man who is not related to the child, especially if there are other relatives in the picture. While the show may have tried to show group marriage in a somewhat positive light, courts will see it differently when deciding on the best interests of a child.

There's actually a fairly simple fix for this situation.  Since their "wife" is dead, Bradford simply marries bio-dad.  They were together before and gay marriage is legal everywhere.  It's still kind of gross for Bradford, having to marry a murderer, but it provides for the care of the child.  Even if that doesn't work out, we don't need to worry about the child too much because she's, you know, fictional.

• Love 2

That alone doesn't change anything. Bradford is still a legal stranger to the child. Quickly marrying a murderer awaiting sentencing in an attempt to gain custody of his child is not gonna fool any judge. Only a legal adoption gives Bradford parental rights, and a judge would probably take a dim view of that for the same reason. A child is not property that can be bequeathed to or contractually passed on to someone else.

I might be an idiot but it seems like it actually shouldn't be that difficult to get the kid in the custody of the third. Especially if the dead wife had something as simple as a will, if murder-husband were to be incarcerated and mom's will said Branford gets the kid should they both be dead/incapacitated, it'd be an easy lawyer's argument, I'd think, that as long as he's willing he just...should get custody even though bio-dad is still alive. Unless they could establish some sort of reason Branford were unfit, I'd imagine authorities would rather she go with someone she knows and is comfortable with than add to an already stretched thin foster system.

Or perhaps she has living grandparents.

I mean, if you're going to live in a thruple and have children, it'd be completely idiotic to not have the proper paperwork done for what happens to the kids in a catastrophic scenario. But maybe they're that dumb

I wouldn't call you an idiot, but you are woefully uninformed about how these things work. If the child (I thought it was a he) had grandparents, Branford is fucked. They get custody, hands down. It often doesn't matter what contracts are drawn up, though it helps. Bottom line, as orza said, it's up to the judge.

There's actually a fairly simple fix for this situation.  Since their "wife" is dead, Bradford simply marries bio-dad.  They were together before and gay marriage is legal everywhere.

You know I love you, johntfs, but what country are you living in? It isn't that simple, especially a marriage after the fact. This show, that has handled alternative lifestyles fairly well, miss stepped on this one. "Throuple" isn't really an acceptable word in a poly community (hence Sherlock speaking it with such disdain. It wasn't about the concept, but the terminology). Five people sharing a relationship(s) happens, but to all share the same house? 

No. They're not Mormons. That isn't the the way poly relationships work, as a rule. You've done so well with gay and transgender people, show - why'd ya have to go and fuck it up with polyamorous folk? 

Even if that doesn't work out, we don't need to worry about the child too much because she's, you know, fictional.

Of course you are right, but it is a testimony to how well the Elementary world is constructed that we care about these ancillary characters, including those we have never even met.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 3

I wouldn't call you an idiot, but you are woefully uninformed about how these things work. If the child (I thought it was a he) had grandparents, Branford is fucked. They get custody, hands down. It often doesn't matter what contracts are drawn up, though it helps. Bottom line, as orza said, it's up to the judge.

You know I love you, johntfs, but what country are you living in? It isn't that simple, especially a marriage after the fact. This show, that has handled alternative lifestyles fairly well, miss stepped on this one. "Throuple" isn't really an acceptable word in a poly community (hence Sherlock speaking it with such disdain. It wasn't about the concept, but the terminology). Five people sharing a relationship(s) happens, but to all share the same house? 

No. They're not Mormons. That isn't the the way poly relationships work, as a rule. You've done so well with gay and transgender people, show - why'd ya have to go and fuck it up with polyamorous folk? 

The way I look at it, the situation with Bradford, Biodad and deadwife shares elements of father, stepfather and deceased wife with child.  A woman divorces, has full custody of the child and remarries, then dies.  The natural father is unable or unwilling to care for the child.  Does she go to grandparents or stay with the step-father, who is, by marriage, her legal guardian.  Presumably the conversation with Bradford would involve a swift transfer of legal guardianship by whatever means to allow the child to remain in a familiar environment and household.

• Love 1
The way I look at it, the situation with Bradford, Biodad and deadwife shares elements of father, stepfather and deceased wife with child.  A woman divorces, has full custody of the child and remarries, then dies.  The natural father is unable or unwilling to care for the child.  Does she go to grandparents or stay with the step-father, who is, by marriage, her legal guardian.

The scenario you describe is not uncommon, but even in a case like that, a step father will probably go the extra mile and adopt, just to be safe. It's even trickier with less traditional unions. While the times are changing, there is still resistance to accept gay marriages. It wasn't so long ago that one half of a longstanding gay couple could be kept out of his our her seriously ill partner's hospital room by family, even if they had all their paperwork together. If the partner died, it was possible that the survivor could be turned out of the house. I saw this happen far too often.

Presumably the conversation with Bradford would involve a swift transfer of legal guardianship by whatever means to allow the child to remain in a familiar environment and household.

It just doesn't work that way. Branford hid his relationship(s). What else might he be hiding? It is doubtful that even an enlightened judge would look kindly on that. As to the rest, I'll just repost orza's post on the subject.

Bradford is still a legal stranger to the child. Quickly marrying a murderer awaiting sentencing in an attempt to gain custody of his child is not gonna fool any judge. Only a legal adoption gives Bradford parental rights, and a judge would probably take a dim view of that for the same reason. A child is not property that can be bequeathed to or contractually passed on to someone else. [bolding mine]

It just doesn't work that way. Branford hid his relationship(s). What else might he be hiding? I

His relationship might not have been hidden to everyone. Maybe just work colleagues. But if his own family knew (especially since there was a child involved), and/or supportive poly communities knew (because I don't imagine that the three of them engaged in this relationship without having some experience in it, or knowing other parties who could give them information on how best to commingle as a "thruple"), perhaps that would give Branford some proof? It might not be enough to sway a conservative judge, but it's something.

Edited by sinkwriter

I don't personally know any examples of 5 people living together in a group marriage, but I do know of three living together in that way. They have kids, too.

But I'm realizing that I don't know how the transfer of parental rights works even for the most mainstream of heterosexual couples, as I'd always heard of the parents designating who "takes the kids" if they die or become incapacitated, and had never heard of it being challenged. Same sex couples get that challenged all the time, and I'm not surprised if poly families have legal issues of a similar nature. But is it really true that as a matter of course (in all cases, not just ones that involve a lack of paperwork or "controversial families") if a child is orphaned, a judge will rule on whether or not to honor the parents' wishes for who takes on guardianship of the children? I know of kids whose parents died and they went to who their parents planned for them to go to, and if there were legal proceedings I must have just not heard about that part of the process.

I also knew a woman who was incarcerated, and she retained parental rights to her daughter, which she agonized over whether to relinquish, because she wanted to stay her mom, but if she relinquished her right to do so, her daughter would be eligible for adoption and a stable placement, where staying legally as the mother meant the kid was bounced from one foster placement to another. So it's also possible that Murderous Daddy would not lose his parental status even if convicted. Though having murdered the child's mother would perhaps make it easier to terminate his rights (the woman I knew in this situation did not commit a violent crime and her felony had no relevance to her parenting, except that it made her unavailable due to being locked up).

Edited by possibilities
But is it really true that as a matter of course (in all cases, not just ones that involve a lack of paperwork or "controversial families") if a child is orphaned, a judge will rule on whether or not to honor the parents' wishes for who takes on guardianship of the children?

Yes, this is how it works. Only a judge can grant or terminate parental rights, appoint a guardian and determine custody. Courts strongly favor blood relatives.over friends of the family and the like. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, adult siblings will all be considered before non-relatives.

• Love 1

Abby, Biodad and Bradford were all smart people living in a polygamous situation and Abby was dying from cancer already.  Figure it's extremely likely that they had set up a situation to ensure that the kid remained with Biodad and Bradford.  It's possible that Denise might well have pointed Abby to a friendly judge and didn't mention it in the interview because it really wasn't relevant.  Also, the kid is still fictional.  I choose to believe that she'll have a loving, hypothetical father in Bradford who will help her through her hypothetical tough times so that she'll grow into a strong, decent, hypothetical young woman.

• Love 6

I choose to believe that she'll have a loving, hypothetical father in Bradford who will help her through her hypothetical tough times so that she'll grow into a strong, decent, hypothetical young woman.

Heeee.

... Can a detective just decide to investigate someone because they want to? Couldn't Joan have made a complaint & stopped her?

I saw this as an irritating conundrum for Joan. If she goes through channels and complains or back channels through Gregson or Bell or any of her friends on the force, she risks this irritation becoming vendetta. Chances are that any of the above options would have resulted in less than a stern talking to unless Joan could get IA or another group with oversight involved. I have a feeling Cortez would have accepted a < STT like twelve year olds accept an 8 o'clock bedtime. 

Getting IA or oversight involved would have set her back- with everyone, not just Cortez- into the personae non grata zone she's already worked her way out of. It wouldn't develop rapport she and Sherlock desperately need to do their job. I can't see either of these options getting Joan the results she was looking for- Cortez ceasing and desisting.

I dunno. To me, this was a damned if you do, damned if you don't for Joan. :( I don't think Cortez's school yard bully is going to be deterred by a couple of rounds though she might think twice before physical intimidation. Her threats were specific and her harassment focused. If Cortez has buddies, they'll be seeking ways to intimidate Holmes and Watson too.

• Love 2

I saw this as an irritating conundrum for Joan. If she goes through channels and complains or back channels through Gregson or Bell or any of her friends on the force, she risks this irritation becoming vendetta. Chances are that any of the above options would have resulted in less than a stern talking to unless Joan could get IA or another group with oversight involved. I have a feeling Cortez would have accepted a < STT like twelve year olds accept an 8 o'clock bedtime. 

Getting IA or oversight involved would have set her back- with everyone, not just Cortez- into the personae non grata zone she's already worked her way out of. It wouldn't develop rapport she and Sherlock desperately need to do their job. I can't see either of these options getting Joan the results she was looking for- Cortez ceasing and desisting.

I dunno. To me, this was a damned if you do, damned if you don't for Joan. :( I don't think Cortez's school yard bully is going to be deterred by a couple of rounds though she might think twice before physical intimidation. Her threats were specific and her harassment focused. If Cortez has buddies, they'll be seeking ways to intimidate Holmes and Watson too.

The boxing was never about deterring physical intimidation.  It was about establishing social parity.  Before it Cortez could be "How dare this civilian pissant investigate one of us?"  Now that Joan beat her (or even if she'd simply held her own) in a real physical fight, Koan has established a kind of crude social parity.  If Cortez continues to harass Joan, it looks like sour grapes because Joan beat her in the fight.  That would cause Cortez to lose face among her fellow police.

In some ways it reminds me of the situation where Gregson punched the cop who'd hit his daughter.  To make things right, Gregson had to offer a handshake in front of cops just like he'd hit the guy in front of cops.  Figure that gym where Cortez and Joan fought was a police training gym.  Other cops saw the fight and this helped transform Joan from a meddling outsider to a kind of peer.

I doubt seriously that we've seen the last of Cortez one way or another.

• Love 3