Type keyword(s) to search

Trevor Noah: The Man Himself

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, lordonia said:

This occurred to me because of all the election nonsense from the religious right, but even though Trevor is a committed Christian himself, he doesn't make that a part of the show and I appreciate it.

That's pretty similar to Stephen Colbert and John Fugelsang.  Both are committed Catholics, but neither makes their Catholic-ness part of their shows.  They can both quote scripture as fluently as they speak English.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, fastiller said:

More on Noah from the NY Times:

From the Magazine: Trevor Noah Wasn’t Expecting Liberal Hatred

From the Book Review: Trevor Noah: By the Book

Thanks for sharing.

The headline for the NY Times article is very clickbait-y. Here's the entire discussion about it: "I had people — you know, people who are Democrats, fans of the old show — saying things like, “Go back to Djibouti, we want Jon Stewart back.” I knew liberal hatred existed, but I didn’t think it would come to me. I had to quell that feeling that people have lost what is theirs."

• Love 1

Trevor is a good interview. His installment of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" was really interesting. I am honestly surprised by how likable and interesting I find him. He doesn't just say the same sound bite every time, he actually makes an effort to not bore people.

• Love 2

Is Trevor a citizen, or just a 'permanent' resident?  And I put 'permanent' in quotes because god only knows if the orange one plus congress will not find some way to kick out any non-citizen colored person.

• Love 1

There's absolutely no way he's a citizen -- the process is way too long for him to have completed it, if he has even started it.  It took John Oliver until 2009 to get his green card (permanent residency), I'd guess there's a high probability that Trevor is on a work permit.

criticism of Trevor. I don't really agree with it. Trevor's made mistakes, but I don't think naïveté is one of them. Understandably, Trevor might have trouble really representing with the Black American experience because he isn't one. His South African upbringing is a whole different experience.

• Love 2

Trevor did a really thoughtful interview with Al Jazeera covering politics here and back in South Africa, the role of TDS, and his book and legacy.  It doesn't sound like there's any way he's a U.S. citizen as he mentions that he lives and pays taxes here but isn't allowed to vote.  He briefly acknowledges that there were a number of things when he first took over the show that he had a hard time commenting on because he didn't feel like he knew enough to speak knowledgeably.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/talktojazeera/2017/02/trevor-noah-leader-tweeting-policy-ridiculous-170211073941654.html

I really loved his book.  I felt like it gave me a lot of insight into his persona on the show.

• Love 3
On 2/11/2017 at 6:31 PM, nodorothyparker said:

I really loved his book.  I felt like it gave me a lot of insight into his persona on the show.

The book was AMAZING. I am recommending it to everyone, even if they never watch TDS. I learned a lot about South Africa, but Trevor truly had a singular upbringing!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, trow125 said:

Trevor's new comedy special, Afraid of the Dark, is available today on Netflix.

And it is HILARIOUS!!!

I was ??????when he was talking about how the Brits over took to colonize India-from his very good Indian accent to the "which God?" Conversation.

I know it's been said before, but Trevor is really good with accents. I was laughing and enjoying his Scots brogue when he was talking about when he was in Scotland.

• Love 8

The special is worth watching just for the accent work alone.  I'm hard pressed to think of anyone else working who can do both sides of a long running conversation in two entirely different accents, never break either character, and still be so very funny.  The British-Indian bit was amazing.  

I loved all the stuff about the fear the Russian accent inspires.

• Love 8

Reporting back by request:

I'm just back from his standup show in Vancouver and it was a bit...off. I went last year and it was amazing, my ribs and cheeks were sore the next day from laughing so hard. His live energy is totally infectious and sweeps you along. Four thumbs up.

Despite being sold out (I didn't know till I got there that there was also a second show the same night), the audience was slow to come into the theatre (he had a truly awful warm up guy last time, so I don't know if people were expecting that and took their time) and we started 20-ish mins late. I think things got cut short because of the second show. It was some new stuff, one piece he had done last year and then boom, over. It was clear he had an injury of some kind and was way more low energy as a result. None of this is to say the show wasn't good. I suspect the person I took this time who hadn't seen him live before didn't know the difference, except remarking on his limp. He was still great and I would definitely go again next year.

He made a very savvy call to do some stuff about Trudeau's handshake with Trump that worked really well, about him rehearsing with a rope tied to a truck bumper and Donald looking like a guy trying to pull open a door marked "push." 

I should also say that the crowd was extremely different last time and gave him quite different feedback. He had only been doing TDS for a few months, so most of us were there for his standup and there wasn't a lot of political stuff. A lot of black and young people. Tonight was remarkably white in comparison and waaaaay older than I was expecting. He did a whole section on racism and the n word, which had a few people squirming. It reminded me of when you love this little known band, and they suddenly get huge for this one mainstream song that was on the radio a bunch and everyone shows up thinking the whole concert is going to be like that. I don't think all the people who showed up because they know him from TDS were ready for the things he talks about in his stand up. It added a weird vibe.

I haven't watched Afraid of the Dark yet, but reading the comments here, it sounds like it's basically the set he did last year. Can't wait to see it, because it was fantastic. 

• Love 9

I saw Trevor in Boston last weekend, and he was great as always.  No sign of a limp, so he must have injured himself sometime in between.  I saw him last year as well, and I'd say Afraid of the Dark was a healthy combination of the set I saw him do last year (James Bond/Scotland; Obama/Mandela, walking when you have the light at a city intersection) and much of what he did last week in Boston (Russian accents, the British empire, black people telling them they wanted to go Africa/the mother land).  I'm glad I saw him on Sunday just before the Netflix special premiered otherwise I'd have felt much of the set was spoiled by the special.  He performed six gigs in Boston over the course of three nights; I believe I was seeing his 5th performance (the first of two that night) and he was high energy and performed for a solid hour, if not more.  Crowd responded with great enthusiasm, especially during the part when the Indian man questioned why there was only one God.  I think I enjoyed his show last year slightly more because the jokes felt newer/fresher to me and he included more about his youth in South Africa which I really enjoyed, but overall I enjoyed both performances immensely.  Also own his book, and love it!

Edited by Bosstonz16
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Bosstonz16 said:

I saw Trevor in Boston last weekend, and he was great as always.  No sign of a limp, so he must have injured himself sometime in between.  I saw him last year as well, and I'd say Afraid of the Dark was a healthy combination of the set I saw him do last year (James Bond/Scotland; Obama/Mandela, walking when you have the light at a city intersection) and much of what he did last week in Boston (Russian accents, the British empire, black people telling them they wanted to go Africa/the mother land).  I'm glad I saw him on Sunday just before the Netflix special premiered otherwise I'd have felt much of the set was spoiled by the special.  He performed six gigs in Boston over the course of three nights; I believe I was seeing his 5th performance (the first of two that night) and he was high energy and performed for a solid hour, if not more.  Crowd responded with great enthusiasm, especially during the part when the Indian man questioned why there was only one God.  I think I enjoyed his show last year slightly more because the jokes felt newer/fresher to me and he included more about his youth in South Africa which I really enjoyed, but overall I enjoyed both performances immensely.  Also own his book, and love it!

Interesting. We only had the motherland bit, of all of that. He opened with a very long bit about how you should be allowed to punch toddlers (funnier than it sounds, mostly) and some meandering Trump stuff. He was only on for about an hour and 10 mins. 

• Love 1
On 2/21/2017 at 4:27 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And it is HILARIOUS!!!

I was ??????when he was talking about how the Brits over took to colonize India-from his very good Indian accent to the "which God?" Conversation.

I know it's been said before, but Trevor is really good with accents. I was laughing and enjoying his Scots brogue when he was talking about when he was in Scotland.

The Indian bit was the best comedy bit I've heard in years!

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 3

MAAAAAAN!!!! Trevor is going to be here in DC at the Kennedy Center in September to do his stand up-I wanted to go, but FUCK!??at how expensive the tickets are. If it's the same material as his Netflix Special, then I won't feel so bad. But I imagine he'll have fresh material and THAT peeves me cuz I WANNA GO!!!? But I can't afford it.

• Love 2

Trevor is bringing his tour to my town in November and I got tickets! I’m beyond stoked. I live in a smaller city in Missouri and frankly shocked he’s coming. But I’m really excited especially after watching Chicago Week and how comfortable he is on stage 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ms.o said:

Trevor is bringing his tour to my town in November and I got tickets! I’m beyond stoked. I live in a smaller city in Missouri and frankly shocked he’s coming. But I’m really excited especially after watching Chicago Week and how comfortable he is on stage 

SO jealous!

And well, of course he's comfortable on stage-he's a stand up comic!

Trevor was nominated for three 2018 Audie awards for his narration on Born a Crime. I know I found his voice to be soothing. :-)

Categories:

• Autobiography/Memoir
  • Best Male Narrator
  • Narration by the Author
Edited by 2727
  • Love 3