Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E09: It's Always The Quiet Ones

• Start Topic

Sorry to see those handsome Texans go

I would love to see anyone but Green (Justin) win. I don't like "you tube" celebs period....and I am sure I will hate next season with bunch of social media celebs.

I guess I will root for the Cheerleaders now

all Justin has to lose the last leg - fingers crossed LOL

• Love 3
Guest Levi Rinno

Why?  They were just another run of the mill unintersting alpha male team.  I never learn to even tell them apart.  They had zero personality to me and were a waste of screen time.

Agreed.  They did nothing this season worthy of a return.  I'd say every team currently in the F5, save for possibly Kelsey & Joey, has proven themselves memorable enough in some way worthy of an invite back for a returning team season.  But Tanner & Josh?  Uh-uh.  Save for their hate-on for Justin & Diana, there was nothing truly noteworthy about them at all.

• Love 1

I'm sure there is a good reason you do back-breaking laundry only to spread it out on dirt...but I can't think of it.

It used to be very common here to dry your washing by laying it out in the sun.  But it would be laid out on a wooden frame which was covered in chicken wire.  The clothes would be 18" off the ground.

Those drying frames gave way to clothes lines, which in turn gave way to the tumble-dryer.  Next week it will be some laser-driven device that requires a network connection to a subscription-only service provided by a fly-by-night website...  Glowforge for laundry.

My birthday was last Sunday, and it seems I am old!

• Love 3

I think this must be one of the most boring series of TAR. 

Very few of the tasks are those that cause a team to really stumble which helps mix up the pack a bit. I think it may have been done this way to enable superfan Justin to dominate - although i don't think he is as much a superfan as he makes out because if he was he would surely come across more gratefull for being on the show and enjoying the experience. Instead he just seems more concerned about becoming number 1 each leg.

I agree -- I could be wrong but it feels like the tasks are really straightforward.  The restaurant order challenge this season seemed much more simple than similar ones in previous seasons -- fewer and simpler items than the Copenhagen sandwich shop last season or the ocean liner restaurant from the Hockey Brothers season, which also involved a LOT of hoofing it.  It's telling that the one fairly complicated one this season -- the Van Gogh Sunflowers seek and find -- actually caused some genuine problems for the Greenies. 

The drama this season isn't helped by the rival teams seeming quite weak relative to the Greenies.  They all seem bothered by simple math, none seem to have any particularly strong problem solving skills or physical ability, with the possible exception of the Cheerleaders if it's another agility test.  When the Dentists were reeling off their long string of victories, you got the sense that the other three finalists had a shot, and as it turned out Maya and Amy won and the Surfers had a legitimate shot as well.  I think it's going to take serious bad luck for the Greenies to lose.

• Love 1

I think it's going to take serious bad luck for the Greenies to lose.

Unfortunately, I agree with you.  I'm all OK with the competent team winning, but I don't feel any warm glow when those that win are people I actively dislike.

Frankly, if I was giving Justin a lift in my car, I'd stop at the side of the road and put him out.  I think he's just the sort of vainglorious, conceited, self-aggrandizing jack-hole that I can't stand in person, and watching him smirking and side-eyeing the camera with that self-congratulatory grin makes me want a serious accident to befall him.  Like getting hit by a train.  

I will not be happy to see him win, although it looks like he probably will.  There aren't many teams left to put up much opposition, so I have to hope it turns out he can't drive a stick-shift or picks a camel with a bad attitude or something, and it just puts him out once and for all.  Or he gets hit by a train.  Either way, the only reason I'm watching is i) in the forlorn hope that things go horribly wrong for the green team, and ii) I love TAR so much that even J*n*th*n couldn't spoil it for me, and Justin is a lightweight in comparison to the racers of yore, even HWMNBN.

• Love 6

Justin has sucked out every ounce of enjoyment of this season for me. I've seen every episode of every season of this show and can't ever remember disliking a racer this much. Every word out of his mouth comes across so smug.

• Love 7

Justin is worse than Colin, than Jonathan?  Really?

No, I wouldn't say that at all.  I was saying that if J*n*th*n wasn't enough to stop me from watching, Justin certainly won't be enough to drive me away.  But although he isn't J*n*th*n, I still dislike him sufficiently to wish him misfortune enough to get him off my screen ASAP!

• Love 2

Kelsey: "I'm a Christian snd Joey's a Catholic. I've never had a blessing like that before."

Huh? Silly me, I thought Catholics were Christians.

After all those years in Catholic school the nuns were wrong? I am not Christian? Hmm, I think my parents wasted a boat load of money on my brothers and my educations.

After all those years in Catholic school the nuns were wrong? I am not Christian? Hmm, I think my parents wasted a boat load of money on my brothers and my educations.

When I hear someone just call themselves "Christian" I assume some non-denominational sect like those people that worship in those mega churches. People I've met who are Christian will say they are Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, Baptist or something along those lines.  The only time I really hear someone call themselves "Christian" is when there is a mega church or Greg Laurie involved.

I went to Catholic school, and everyone was pretty clear that Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholic.  Same with Methodists, Lutherans, et al.

That was by far the hardest speed bump ever on this show - why the heck did they wait so bloody long to have a substansive speed bump?

I'd like to thank Justin for my ability to watch AR in a half-hour after getting home from my second job; I fast-forward every time his obnoxious mug in on my screen, and that seems to be every other scene.  UGH.

• Love 3

When I hear someone just call themselves "Christian" I assume some non-denominational sect like those people that worship in those mega churches.

I think of them lining up to drink Kool-Aid in a compound in Guyana.

• Love 3

Justin is worse than Colin, than Jonathan?  Really?

I didn't actually hate Colin (but don't make me explain it. Objectively, he's certainly an ass. I just didn't hate him.), but Jonathan was certainly awful. What makes Justin "worse" for me is not that he's actually worse; he's definitely not. But the fact that we spend soooooooo much time focusing on Justin means that Justin makes this season worse than Jonathan made his season. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how well I'm articulating that. But that's my feeling on it, anyway.

That said, I do seem to recall quite a bit of focus on Colin & Christie in their season, though, so perhaps if I'd loathed him as much as I loathe Justin, they'd be more on par for me.

Edited to remove reference to a non-existant second season with Colin & Christie, which for some reason, I thought there was.

Edited by kingshearte
  • Love 1

I've a sinking feeling that Logan and Chris are going to fall ass-backward into victory this season.

That would be awful.  Now I've got to get this thought out of my head.  As much as it would please me to see Justin and Diana not win it would be worse if they lost to these two.

But with only five teams left what does it say that I'm still not actively rooting for one team to win?

• Love 1

Kelsey: "I'm a Christian snd Joey's a Catholic. I've never had a blessing like that before."

Huh? Silly me, I thought Catholics were Christians.

Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholic - think she was just saying she's not Catholic. It did sound odd.

I always wished this show were longer - so you can see how they spend their down time, how they interact when they are not actually running, or what really goes on behind the scenes (what do they eat when they are running sometimes 24+ hours).

That was the worst speed bump ever - did everyone notice the cows walking across the drying clothes? 

When I hear someone just call themselves "Christian" I assume some non-denominational sect like those people that worship in those mega churches. People I've met who are Christian will say they are Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, Baptist or something along those lines.  The only time I really hear someone call themselves "Christian" is when there is a mega church or Greg Laurie involved.

In my experience, there are a lot of people who are nominally Christian but not particularly observant -- they put up a Christmas tree and eat Easter candy and that's about it.  Often it's the case where someone has one set of grandparents in one denomination, the other set is another, but neither of their parents was particularly observant.  They might go to church on Christmas Eve with grandma but that's the only time during the year.

Getting back a little closer to the race, I was glad to see nobody raised a fuss over the blessings in India or Africa.  While I find Justin and the Papparazi annoying, I'm glad nobody this year has been offensive or highly judgmental, and to his credit, I think Justin has been genuinely interested in places he's been.

I've seen every episode of every season of this show and can't ever remember disliking a racer this much. Every word out of his mouth comes across so smug.

Smugness doesn't bother me near as much as vitriol, which came in large does from Colin, Jonathan, Flo, Karyn, Hayden, Vanessa... etc.

• Love 1

Finally got around to seeing the episode as I was out of state visiting with some old college friends- so missed Friday.  Not like I hurried considering someone upthread said- it's The Justin Show now and am just not as invested in the show with so much Justin in there.

It's like he is just recreating his own private TAR and we are drawn along.

More like dragged along.

It's infuriating just how they manage to get to 1st place even when they drop to 4th or 3rd place.... augh.  And still with the "wink wink smirk" at the camera... No Justin I don't want to be inside your head thank you.  Just something about him that is consistently unappealing.

Sad to see the Texas Boys go...Yes they've had their faults but what team doesn't? I include Justin and Diana in that too but they were gracious and humorous this leg "Ah we're in first..".  They exited well.  I hated that they were U-Turn but I can see the logic and agree with it why they were.  Doesn't mean  have to like it lol.

The rest- well Logan and Chris didn't fail to amuse with their continuing bickering, the cheerleaders with their whine/tears and James Earl & Denise with their "oh dear oh dear" vibe (but they didn't seem to lash out either- and DID ask quite a few people where Moonlight Garden was)- Denise seemed to really knock out that RoadBlock.

Speed Bump I don't remember ever seeing one last THAT long- that's insane.  Have seen some that required detail- like that assembly of some sort of toy.  The carpet hanging I don't think took that long (the Dentists)- it seemed more difficult because Misty was short.   What was noticeable on THIS one- was that only ONE team member performed the speedbump while in the past BOTH team members performed the task making it easier to complete faster.  Not sure I'm liking how it was set up this time.

I don't care about dominating teams-- heck the Hockey Boys did on their season (and I liked them) but I do care about how they come across- yes J&D aren't 'mean' (yet), etc etc.. but just how he presents himself is off putting.. TO ME.  To others he's the bee's knees- that's fine too.

Good grief I hope to see them drop a few places.. Rooting for anyone but J&D or L&C(maybe).  That doesn't leave much....

I'm starting to enjoy the Papparazzi.  Their mutual commitment to bickering is so complete, it cracks me up.  It's like watching a sitcom.  They are just such sourpusses.  Didn't she say, in all seriousness, "remove my name from your mouth," or something like that?

Hilarious!

• Love 1

Didn't she say, in all seriousness, "remove my name from your mouth," or something like that?

She did! Exactly that "Remove my name from your mouth"- LOL.. saw it on the captions and about died.  Some of the stuff they say are just hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.

She did! Exactly that "Remove my name from your mouth"- LOL.. saw it on the captions and about died.  Some of the stuff they say are just hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.

Or even better: 

She:  Stop!!You're doing it wrong, you're gonna cut yourself!"

He:  I am not!

She:  Yes you are!

[he continues cutting]

She:  You cut yourself already didn't you!?

This is a brutal race this year - all the non pit stops, then two long India legs.

This whole season has been brutal. Few mistakes, with good teams. Silly U-turn debate aside, a tough year to be on TAR.

I don't mind Justin. But I don't watch that closely.

Agree that Phil's shirt wasn't flattering.

• Love 1

I didn't actually hate Colin (although I didn't see his second appearance — and don't make me explain it. Objectively, he's certainly an ass. I just didn't hate him.), but Jonathan was certainly awful. What makes Justin "worse" for me is not that he's actually worse; he's definitely not. But the fact that we spend soooooooo much time focusing on Justin means that Justin makes this season worse than Jonathan made his season. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how well I'm articulating that. But that's my feeling on it, anyway.

That said, I do seem to recall quite a bit of focus on Colin & Christie in their first season, though, so perhaps if I'd loathed him as much as I loathe Justin, they'd be more on par for me.

Colin & Christie were most definitely not in any season but their own TAR5.  Auntlada got it right.  They were asked back for All-Stars (TAR11) but Christie was pregnant.  Granted Christie was totally useless and Colin could have run another race just as well alone but them is not the rules.

Whoops, we posted at the same time.  Not trying to rub it in.  And yeah I'd love to see Colin return too.  But this time race with Mirna, haha.  If they didn't kill each other by the end of the first leg I would pick them to win at that point on.

Hey TAR, you like stupid "themes" now.  Why not a fun theme.  The Amazing Race: Rivals United Edition.  Wil & Blake, Colin & Mirna etc.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

Which is why I'm tuning out of TAR. This is definitely the Jump The Shark episode.

I'm sorry, but how did this episode 'Jump the Shark'?  Every time somebody doesn't like something in any show these days, they say 'jumping the shark.'  That's not what it means.

• Love 6

If that Laundry Task really took 90 minutes to complete, IIRC that would be by far the longest Speed Bump ever.  And, it's also the first time that the Speed Bump consisted of the second Team-member completing the Roadblock (rather than a separate, stand-alone task).  

That leads me to believe that something got screwed up this leg.  

I mean, I'm sure they still want to have some suspense over who will be U-Turned and who will be eliminated.  But giving the NEL'd Team a 90-minute Speed Bump made it a no-brainer to U-Turn them, because it was highly unlikely that U-Turning any other Team would've resulted in that Team falling behind Texas with their 90-minute deficit.

I'm sorry, but how did this episode 'Jump the Shark'?  Every time somebody doesn't like something in any show these days, they say 'jumping the shark.'  That's not what it means.

I thought that was what it meant.  When something stupid happens in an episode like Fonzie "Jumping the Shark" in Happy Days then it signals the end of a series. I think a series jumps the shark for people at different times depending on their tolerance.  In a Season Premiere of  Scandal Kerry Washington did some laugh/cry thing while gripping her wine glass.  I think she is an awful actress, but it had never been worse.  I stopped the episode and never watched again.  I was done, that was the straw that broke the camel's back, the moment the show jumped the shark for me.

IMO, "Jumping the Shark" is when a show springs a new gimmick that is intended to revive waning interest.

I'd say the "Blind Date" Concept qualified.

I think this season is just a victim of poor casting.

• Love 5

For a while I was conflicted. I didn't know who I hated more Justin or myself for feeling sorry for him in episode one when he was crying. In the end though I decided on Justin as how could I know what a complete tool he would be in each subsequent episode. I cannot stand him grandstanding for the camera and constantly giggling like a SEVEN YEAR OLD GIRL. An annoying person like him shouldn't be anywhere near someone with a straight razor like at the end.

I've concluded Logan must be a champ in the bedroom because why else would Chris willingly subject himself to a harpy incarnate. There's henpecking and then there is Logan....a shrew's shrew.

Love the shot of the bee chasing Tiffany. It was so RANDOM...I mean random not seen on the level since the BB episode last summer where two women were dicussing Johnny Mac and the camera cuts away to him rising into the screen from the bottom like a whackamole. Speaking of Tiffany she is one of the most drop dead gorgeous racers ever.

"He's catholic and I'm a christian" dear god how do these people have journalist credentials?! Hagoo anyone?

Nice try editors but I wasn't fooled for a minute...I knew James Earl and Mama would recover in time to avoid elmination.

Shout out to Denise for running 11 miles in one day in the heat of India.  She is becoming stronger as the season progresses.  Does she have Empowering Fatigue? 

Well, the Fitbit's distance estimate includes her walking steps and every bump and jolt on a tuk-tuk as a step.  They're not precision instruments.

130-something is not that unexpectedly high a heart rate.  

I don't think Kelsie meant to imply that Catholics are not Christians.  To me, it's like saying, "I'm vegetarian and he's vegan."  I think her point was 'I'm Christian and he's really Christian' and we're cool with the blessing.'

Oh man, Phil, hire a stylist.  And maybe a trainer.  And please ditch the New Zealand tribal pendant thingy.  This season's is like the size of your face.  We get it, it's season 27 and you're still a kiwi. 

Edited by Guest

You can adjust the Fitbit to remove the steps from driving and other activities. It is pretty east to do but I doubt that they did that. Heart rates are a personal thing, 130 could be high for her, it depends on what her normal resting heart rate is. I end up with my blood pressure being taken 2-3 times whenever I have a new nurse at the Doctors office because I have very low blood pressure. It has come up at 90/60 more then once. The last few years it has "jumped" to 100/70ish which I was worried about and my Doctor laughed at my concern. It could be that she normally has pretty low blood pressure and that she rarely gets to 130.

I chuckled at the Christian/Catholic thing but I didn't read too much into it. I am sure we will hear about it in their exit interview because it has been mentioned a fair amount.

Justin is just so smug. He annoys me in the worst way. I hope that he comes in second because it will crush him.

I thought that was what it meant.  When something stupid happens in an episode like Fonzie "Jumping the Shark" in Happy Days then it signals the end of a series. 

This is the episode that 'jumping the shark' is derived from, that is true.  Ironically, Happy Days continued on for over 100 more episodes, so this did NOT signal the end of that series.

Almost all babies 'jump the shark', sometimes marriages do, and that stupid egg that showed up on 'Mork and Mindy'.

But using a U-Turn?  Nah.

Heart rates are a personal thing, 130 could be high for her

Yeah, I agree.  I was referring to Phil acting like 130-something was an impressive feat.  A short jog wearing a backpack would get most of our hearts beating that fast.  It felt like marketing... "Oh, Phil's impressed by her heart rate!   Maybe I need to watch mine!  I need a Fitbit!"  

hehehe I love my fitbit but I don't have a heart rate monitor on mine and everything I have read said that those type of heart rate monitors are very inaccurate. The best are the ones you wear around your chest. I get up to 155 when I am working hard on the elliptical.

• Love 1

They are.  Fitbit sent me all three HR ones to test out (long story).  They didn't do HR very well in my tests alongside a Polar HRM.  I too like the chest-worn ones, though now I usually wear a Withings Activite Pop on my wrist.  

I got my HR up to a sustained 200 in a cardio lab during a stress test at age 44.  It's really variable, across people.  That's why Phil's "wow" seemed so goofy.  But after seeing Phil on a game show, I know he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I'm starting to enjoy the Papparazzi.  Their mutual commitment to bickering is so complete, it cracks me up.  It's like watching a sitcom.  They are just such sourpusses.  Didn't she say, in all seriousness, "remove my name from your mouth," or something like that?

Hilarious!

Cracked my shit up.  Like, brace my hands on my knees laughing.   Primarily because this is so urban-dictionary and her delivery was....not.   Properly said it sounds much more like a threat than a request:  get my name outcha mouth!  Hear the grease?

I don't watch nearly as diligently as ya'll do, that and being terrible with names has led to this question:  was Jonathan the dick who was paired with his wife?  Just realized that may not be specific enough lol - they were from new york? and one of them was an attorney?  Because if so, no one living or dead was more deserving of a junk punch than that guy.  Not even expert on everything Justin.   The honest reason I probably can't hate him is for what somebody already observed, even in the hurry of it all he's properly appreciative of where they are.   I mean I looked at that shot of them running up the path to as close as I'll probably ever get of the Taj Mahal and was like oh my God.  

• Love 1

I don't watch nearly as diligently as ya'll do, that and being terrible with names has led to this question:  was Jonathan the dick who was paired with his wife?  Just realized that may not be specific enough lol - they were from new york? and one of them was an attorney?  Because if so, no one living or dead was more deserving of a junk punch than that guy.  Not even expert on everything Justin.   The honest reason I probably can't hate him is for what somebody already observed, even in the hurry of it all he's properly appreciative of where they are.   I mean I looked at that shot of them running up the path to as close as I'll probably ever get of the Taj Mahal and was like oh my God.  

No he was from Season 6 and is from LA and his wife (Victoria) was a former Playboy bunny.  He was verbally abusive to her on some legs culminating at the Berlin pitstop where he physically shoved her on the mat in frustration over something.  Phil called him a little at the time that added to the controversy.

I agree with you totally about Justin.  He's is just a highly excitable yet appreciative geek he goes over the top at times.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Granted Christie was totally useless and Colin could have run another race just as well alone but them is not the rules.

Hey TAR, you like stupid "themes" now.  Why not a fun theme.  The Amazing Race: Rivals United Edition.  Wil & Blake, Colin & Mirna etc.

The Amazing Race : I Could Have Run This Alone edition. Take all those assholes who treated their partners like dead weight and make them run it alone.

ETA: Re: Christians and Catholics - In my experience, Catholics don't call themselves Christians - they ARE, but they don't lump themselves in with the general term as a rule. People with a Porsche may have a sports car, but they call it a Porsche. :) They also don't generally get their panties in a wad over the same things "Christians" do, or at least not in the same way.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • Love 2

Raaaaaace.

I don't care how annoying Justin is, he and Diana deserve to win. They are dominating this race. Let the bashing commence.

I'm okay with this as well.  Justin is annoying and irritating, but he and Diana do know how to race.

Never thought I'd feel bad for the Texans, but I do. They get stuck with the most time-consuming Speed Bump in a recycled Roadblock, they get U-Turned, and now they're out. Not like I'm shedding tears for the alpha males, but they may have been the best team to overtake Justin & Diana in the end.

Had they decided to race at the end of the last leg instead of letting the girls go first they'd be in the race still.  Sometimes you make your own luck.

I'm one of those stupid people who can't suspend my sense of honor and sportsmanship while watching these ridiculous shows.   I don't believe in kicking people when they're down.   Texas was no threat at all.   They would have washed out on their own within a week or two.    U-turning the paparazzi would have been the more strategic move. 

The Speed Bump this time seemed intended to ensure the elimination of whichever team had the misfortune of catching it.

The paparazzi are less of a threat than Team Texas.  They were the right team to give a u-turn to if you're inclined to use the u-turn.

I totally would have u-turned the Texans.   They were a strong team, who maybe were circling the drain.   But how many teams were "one leg away from sure elimination" and made it into the finals?   Or even won?    Remember Dandrew?   Infamouse Team Pink from the first All Stars?   I'm sure there are others.

I have tried in vain to forget Dandrew.

I feel like the Green Team excels mostly due to being able to get to places first.  I think they just know how to travel, and the ins and outs of it.  There are numerous times where I think they just arrive places first and that is the biggest advantage they have.  And they could have gotten that ability by running their "mini amazing race"  They just somehow seem to get onto trains, planes and automobiles that none of the other teams know about or know how to access.  I guess its impressive, but I don't know that they win because they are so awesome at tasks, I think they win because of their ability to get around.

I think the Green Team does decently in the tasks and (as you point out) also do a very good job getting between tasks.  Those two skills together (task competence and usually not losing time in between tasks) are a tough combination to beat.  They're in first place leg after leg because they're overwhelmingly competent.

• Love 2