Type keyword(s) to search

American Crime Story in the Media

• Start Topic

In effect RM will be straddling two networks since his existing series will continue on the various FOX networks. I don't think that the latter will be letting go easily (i.e. cheaply) of their rights over successful shows like AHS, 9-1-1, Feud or ACS. I don't even know how it would be possible under the provisions of his agreement with FOX. What may happen is him delegating much of the day-to-day work for the existing series and concentrating his production energy on the Netflix shows, while remaining as an overall supervisory presence. Much like he did in the later seasons of Glee for example.

I'm really enjoying this series.  In fact, I was so disappointed they skipped this week that I watched all the shows again in a marathon night-- but from first to last.  It was so much better!!  Everything was much clearer to me as to why certain people acted certain ways.  And Darren Criss (Cunanan) impressed me with his acting when I could see the build up of his feelings from scorned lover to unfeeling and sadistic murderer.  His facial expressions became so much more intense and cold with the shows after the killing of his lover and friend.  I started off thinking I'd watch just one episode and found the character so fascinating to watch as he realized he wasn't going to have the love or fame and fortune he craved that I ended up watching all the shows!  I think they should have shown the series this way instead of backward.

• Love 6

I do not find it very surprising that ratings have decreased. As often mentioned on this board, there is a form of bait-and-switch at work with this show; it proclaims loudly to be about the Versace killing, but spends most of its time with the killer and his path to that final murder. Viewers who were expecting glamour, and a "Lifestyles and Deaths of the Rich and Famous" type of show, instead got a gripping but bleak and harsh look at a sociopath's progress. There's also the narrative structure; viewers are used to storytelling that is mostly linear, with a minimal amount of flashbacks. Here the whole story is told backwards, with interpolated flashbacks and flashforwards. After all, more than 75 years, many people still have trouble with Citizen Kane's chopped-up narrative, and even more so with films told in strict reverse chronological order like Memento and Irréversible. I find the narrative choice intriguing, and it also prevents empathising with AC since we have seen him murderous and despicable from the start, before we get to know him in his non-violent days. Another reason is that all of the main characters in this series are gay, which may pose a problem to a portion of the audience, even in this era. Only Donatella is not gay and she is at most peripheral. Each of these factors (and others) may equate individually to a relatively small erosion of viewers, but they eventually add up.

I think that the viewers who are dropping out are missing out on a fascinating and engrossing journey. Despite the ratings, I am glad that the series exists because I find it enjoyable and captivating. In any case, I have learned a long time that there is not necessarily a correlation between my liking a film or a TV show and its overall popularity.

But regarding ratings, one should be careful not to consider only the overnight results for estimating viewership; that is a rather reductive and obsolete viewpoint in this day and age. With DVRs and shifted viewing, Live+7 numbers must now figure into any such assessment; one has to live with our modern times when reporting ratings figures. And according to this site, it looks that ACS-Versace performs well in shifted viewing. Now that the show is returning and that the Olympics are over, we will be able to see if all the observed trends continue, noting that there is a built-in lag between overnights and when Live+7 data come out.

I suppose that many network executives may very well still focus more on overnights. But I do not think any will be rending out their clothes if this series is not a blockbuster. FX has a way of amortising a series' costs and maximising their return on investments through their practice of repeating multiple times their series in weekend marathons; the OJ installment of ACS has been through at least two of them, joining a weekly rotation with AHS, Feud, Taboo, etc. (last weekend it was Atlanta). Furthermore, the network can probably afford an apparent loss leader series like this one since RM is still producing for them his shows that were created before his Netflix deal: if he gets to make his Charles & Diana season of Feud, they will have an assured ratings success because viewers are still interested in this gossipy story, despite the subject appearing hackneyed and overworked already. In the meantime Fox-FX can make great PR hay of the overwhelmingly favourable reviews the present series has garnered.

18 hours ago, stcroix said:

I watched all the shows again in a marathon night-- but from first to last.  It was so much better!!

Interesting. I think that I might try a repeat viewing of episodes in reverse order once they have all aired.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 9

Any news on the season finale date?  I'm surprised they at least haven't been rerunning eps, just to gin up interest in the finale.  I missed the premiere, and am one of those dvr-less people, and would have appreciated it.  Guess I'll check the On Demand availability.

Agree that the "format-creativity" is at least partly to blame for the ratings dip.  Show the title murder in the premiere ep -- and what you have left is a bio pic of a sociopath. Where's the suspense in that?

Florinaldo, I’m really on board with your analysis regarding the ratings.  I’m enjoying it and think it’s very well done, but if people are tuning in expecting Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Murder Edition, I can see why they’d tune out.  They’re not getting what they expected.  It’s not glamorous and campy with some murder thrown in (see, e.g., Lady Gaga in AHS: Hotel), it’s really bleak and dark, where nothing but bad things happen to the good people. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

There wasn't any suspense in the OJ series—he wasn't going to be found guilty—but that didn't make the season any less riveting, IMO.

And we know Versace is dead (and anyone who didn't, well, it's in the title).  Any we know the Titanic went down.

Show the big one upfront, and you've created your own tough act to follow.  It's not impossible -- the OJ series started this way.  But that series was about the trial, and all the behind-the-scenes soap opera.

Who knows.  Maybe a linear timeline would have had people invested in the main victim.  I'd like to try the reverse-order thing too.

• Love 1

I was actually enjoying this season than the previous season on OJ Simpson. Man, I was hoping Ryan could touch next season on the Sal Mineo murder or the John Lennon murder. What happened to them was just so wrong on so many levels. They were just returning home after a day of work and all of a sudden get shot by some random killer who had nothing to do with them. Either way, it was a tragedy and those killers should have rot for what they did to some unarmed ordinary person who was just doing his job. Horrible.

And the ratings haven't been good? Crap! I was really enjoying this season.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, voiceover said:

the main victim.

I think this is part of what this show is trying to change, though, is that all the victims should be of equal "value" if you will.  There shouldn't be a "main victim" in a case where 5 people have been killed.  Part of the narrative design means that you get Versace out of the way, almost, so that the other murders are allowed to unfold in their own horribleness, without people sitting and waiting for the "main victim" to take the stage, as if they were only opening acts simply because they weren't famous before their deaths.

• Love 17

I think that the element of "suspense" is the question that hangs over that succession of shocking events: how in the hell did AC turn into a murderer (not all sociopaths do). I just hope that the script does not offer a pat answer rooted in pop psychology; I do not not even wish for a definitive one considering how much of a liar AC was, fluttering from one contradictory version of himself to another. He may remain an enigma, with only conjectures as possible explanations, the exploration of his path being the most satisfactory viewing experience one can reasonably expect.

2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I was hoping Ryan could touch next season on the Sal Mineo murder or the John Lennon murder.

Interesting suggestions, especially Sal Mineo whose life offers great material for a serious in-depth depiction, from his early start to his big successes and then a career decline and attempts at reviving it, as well as his stint as a model for the massive nude painting that is displayed in the Guggenheim; his bisexuality would certainly fit right into an RM production, altough one hopes they would not invent relationships with famous friends like James Dean or Don Johnson just to spice the story up. And then there is the senseless murder.

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I think this is part of what this show is trying to change, though, is that all the victims should be of equal "value" if you will

Of course all victims are of equal value.  But if that was the point of the miniseries, why call it The Assassination Of Gianni Versace? Call it The Assassin's Journey of Andrew Cunanan.  That's what we're watching.  

• Love 2

If I hadn't enjoyed the OJ season so much, I would never have watched this season.  I had no interest in Versace or whatever had happened to him.  So even though his name is in the titles, I don't think everyone is in it for Versace.  Now that I'm watching, I'm interested in him, because the portrayal had been really good, and showed that it's more than just glitz and glitter, whcih is essentially what I associate with Versace--over the top gilded and tacky. So while I've been interested to learn there was more substance to the man (even if the designs still seem shallow and fake-gilded), if he were the only subject of the series, I probably wouldn't still be watching.  

I also don't think the show is really about Cunanan, even though he's obviously the connective tissue, if you will, between all the lives that have been examined so far.  His life hasn't really been explored much at all, only his lies and the fracturing of whatever held him together before he started killing.  But the show hasn't been about him either.  I don't know if there's a better name for the show that would have left the understanding that this show is about the needless destruction of several lives, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be as catchy as what they're using.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Because Gianni Versace is the marquee name, not Andrew Cunanan.

Exactly. It was the marketing hook, a ploy some would say. It's quite understandable that some viewers may feel cheated by the actual content of the show. But they should look past that, otherwise they are depriving themselves of some worthwhile TV viewing.

• Love 2

But they should look past that, otherwise they are depriving themselves of some worthwhile TV viewing.

This has proven difficult for me because a) I don't find Cunanan to be a particularly compelling character, and b) I have not gotten into Darren Criss' performance. I like the commentary that the show is making about the different ways homophobia played out for people of different statuses, and how society's bigotry allowed Cunanan to get away with his murder spree for as long as he did. But I'm just not that interested in the inner workings of his mind. It's all very repetitive. By episode 3, I was thinking "We get it. He's a murdering sociopath." I didn't need to see him brutally  murder multiple people to drive the point home. MMV, of course.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

I hate to use the word “love” because these were real people whose lives mattered and had families that love and miss them, and it’s by no means entertainment . But I “love” this show and am grateful for the chance to get to know these victims, even knowing that there are creative liberties used to tell these stories. These men were just kind of brushed to the side and Versace was the focus before ACS. And I don’t think Versace would’ve wanted that, he wouldn’t want people to not know their stories and only his. 

The epsidoes of Miglin and Madson were beyond heartbreaking. I was seriously disturbed and cried long after the episode was over and I rarely cry about anything. And it should have that effect. 

I don’t watch AHS series but as long as Ryan Murphy does the crime series, I’ll always watch.  

• Love 7
(edited)

If any of you are members of the Television Academy and will be in L.A. on March 19, you can attend a preview screening of the final episode, followed by a panel made up of several cast members, production team people and the writers. You will see the episode a full two days before us rubes.

As that page clearly states: "This event is presented and hosted by FX Networks and Fox 21 Television Studios, not by the Television Academy."

If the discussion is interesting, it would be nice if some video comes out, although recording is often strictly regulated at such events.

Edited by Florinaldo
On 2/27/2018 at 9:44 AM, Florinaldo said:

Exactly. It was the marketing hook, a ploy some would say. It's quite understandable that some viewers may feel cheated by the actual content of the show. But they should look past that, otherwise they are depriving themselves of some worthwhile TV viewing.

My only complaint with the series is its name.  I understand why they went with "The Assassination of Gianni Versace," and not something like "The Victims Of Andrew Cunanan."  However, it does seem a little misleading to front the series using Versace's name when he's been so rarely featured. 

Still, I would have tuned in either way.  I went into this knowing the whole story, how many victims, how everyone died and in what order, and so the unraveling of Andrew Cunanan is what drew my interest.  Anyone unfamiliar with the back story, or anyone only vaguely informed who tuned in for "Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous - Murder Edition" were destined to be disappointed. 

In the weeks leading up to the premiere every commercial I saw for the series focused solely on Versace with no mention of the other victims.  I had my suspicions that was going to backfire down the road.   It's unfortunate that some viewers didn't give the series a chance.  I find it interesting, and the Madson/Trail story even moreso than Versace.

• Love 5

Stephen King is enjoying the series and has gone as far as endorsing it on Twitter; a bit late in the run, but I am sure everyone involved with the series will embrace the comment.

Meanwhile, ACS: Versace continues to pick up a good number of viewers in shifted viewing:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX, 3/07/18)
– Live+Same Day: 0.917 million viewers / 0.361 million adults 18-49
– Live+3 Day: 2.182 million viewers (+138%) / 0.845 million adults 18-49 (+134%)

A similar trend is noted on this site.

iTunes sales also seem to remain strong, just as they did last week. It remains to be seen how long episodes will stay on the charts.

The panel from yesterday night's Television Academy screening of the finale episode has been posted on YouTube. Not the highest quality, but the sound is clear. There may be spoilers (I have not had time to watch the whole thing).

A good chunk of the main cast and some production people took part in the discussion.

Edited by Florinaldo
On 3/20/2018 at 9:36 AM, Florinaldo said:

The panel from yesterday night's Television Academy screening of the finale episode has been posted on YouTube. Not the highest quality, but the sound is clear. There may be spoilers (I have not had time to watch the whole thing).

A good chunk of the main cast and some production people took part in the discussion.

The woman moderating is a casual acquaintance. When I saw her posting about this on Instagram I squeed and insisted she tell Cody Fern I would riot if he wasn't nominated for an Emmy. That was a For Your Consideration panel.  Shows go and talk themselves and each other up in the hopes of getting nominated. I had no idea they were such circle jerks. ("Let me tell you why the costume designer deserves an Emmy. She had this little game she played where...") Guess it's safe to assume they plan on submitting the whole main cast, plus Max Greenfield, Cody Fern, and Judith Light.

I honestly think only Darren Criss and Cody Fern will be nominated, with Cody being the one most likely to win. They're not going to sweep the way the OJ cast did. The season was too all over the place.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, sashayshante said:

That was a For Your Consideration panel.  Shows go and talk themselves and each other up in the hopes of getting nominated. I had no idea they were such circle jerks. ("Let me tell you why the costume designer deserves an Emmy. She had this little game she played where...") Guess it's safe to assume they plan on submitting the whole main cast, plus Max Greenfield, Cody Fern, and Judith Light.

It was certainly part of the early Emmy and Globes campaign for the series, so one does not expect the cast and crew to be less than enthusiastic about each other. That being said, I thought that some of them had interesting insights and anecdotes about the shoot and the story.

On high-profile series like this, it is standard practice for the network/production company to put forward names in just about all categories in the first phase of voting. According to Emmy rules, people's names  can be put forward for the nominations round by the production or they can do it for themselves; it is of course better if you have the backing of a network's PR resources for the ensuing campaigning.

At this point I would not dare to predict the outcome of nominations or final voting. Other potential nominees' work still remains to be seen, and voters' motives for selecting one over the other are not always objective: they may not like the subject matter, they may feel such a person is "due" an award, they may think it's too early in their career, etc. Or they may be carried by the strength of the PR buzz and wish to be on the "winning" side.

I'm not sure why I"m so sensitive about accents, but, to me, those of Cruz and Ramirez really bothered me.  I just couldn't get over it.  It seems they really worked in preparation, but,.......... And, I'm a big P. Cruz fan. 

https://nypost.com/2017/12/06/how-edgar-ramirez-transformed-himself-into-gianni-versace-for-the-next-american-crime-story/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5448977/Viewers-slam-Penelope-Cruzs-accent-Donatella-Versace.html

I loved this season of American Crime Story. The one with O J Simpson I didn't like that much even though I didn't know the story (I'm not American). I didn't know the story of Andrew Cunannan and I found it fascinating. Contrary to other people I didn't care to watch a series about the murder of a famous person (I don't have the least interest in Versace brand or company) but the building of a murderer was amazing. The actor who played Cunannan was incredible, all these feelings and sentiments he was transporting to us. I love documentaries about true stories so I just loved this season.

• Love 2

Looks like they're going in a new direction for Season 4 - Ryan Murphy announced he's scrapping the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal for that season.

It's interesting to me that outside of the first season, Ryan Murphy is a little unfocused on how the rest of them shape up. First, it was season 2 having to turn into season 3 because he couldn't nail the direction to go in, and now season 4 is going to be a new story entirely.

• Love 2

Considering this and the History Channel's Clinton impeachment miniseries got cancelled, I feel pretty certain that the Clintons called in some favors. Especially since it would timely subject matter that would almost be a guaranteed ratings bonanza. Also possible this is one of those instances of Disney pushing FX into a certain direction which is why Murphy's off to Netflix. 

But I really did not like Murphy framing it as, "only you should get to tell your story," thing.

A. The story went way beyond her.

B. Lord knows both seasons of ACS have had fictional elements that upset victims' families. 

• Love 1

I don’t know about favors being called in so much as the story kind of dies out. Clinton stayed on as president. Lewinsky is the one who suffered the most, but that’s a story in and of itself, IMO. 

• Love 3

Cody Fern did a Google hangout and talked about his role as Dave Madson:

He's actually hotter in real life. Nice. Also, really interesting thoughts on his role- he really went on the inner homophobia in terms of why Dave Madson decided to stay.

As an aside, all the comments about how he looks like Andrew McCarthy kept coming into my mind during this interview, because Cody's real hair is actually really close to what Andrew's hair looked like in the 80's, especially when he let his hair grow out long enough to get that "wing" effect. Pretty similar texture and color.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

Here is an article with a list of Emmy submissions by FX for their shows in the "Performer" categories, including of course Versace, which finds itself in competition with another Ryan Murphy production.

I hope the lesser-known actors like Briones, Fern and Adler will not be overlooked in favour of others from the same show who have higher name recognition but were less impressive or crucial.

This shows a list of submissions in other categories; I do not think it is complete because there is nothing regarding sound and cinematography for example. Technical categories are always less glamorous so it is no surprise that they do find their way on the submission packaging.

Edited by Florinaldo
(edited)

Someone put together a list of all ACS: Versace submissions for the Emmy nominations round. It's interesting to read the little blurbs in some of the technical categories. Regarding Hairstyling, it appears that just about everyone in the lead cast wore hairpieces, even DC. He mentions in an interview that he wore wigs because AC's hair was so straight as compared to his own (it must have been considered more efficient since curly hair has to be retouched often in a day when you straighten it).

This was compiled from the complete list of Emmy submissions, found here.

Edited by Florinaldo
(edited)

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace has been nominated for two TCA awards!

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MOVIE OR MINISERIES

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA - Darren Criss

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
(edited)

A whole slew of Emmy nominations for ACS: Versace.

Disappointed to see Cody Fern got passed over. Finn Wittrock got selected though, perhaps because his name and face were more familiar to voters than newcomer CF. People make their selection for such a variety of sometimes contradictory reasons, it's hard to find definite explanations at times.

I also expected the show's cinematography to get a nod; I thought it was remarkable, through most of the early episodes especially.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1

Full list of Emmy nominations for ACS: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Outstanding Limited Series
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie - Darren Criss
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie - Ricky Martin
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie - Edgar Ramirez
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie - Finn Wittrock
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Limited Series Or Movie - Penelope Cruz
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Limited Series Or Movie - Judith Light
Outstanding Directing For A Limited Series, Movie Or Dramatic Special - The Man Who Would Be Vogue by Ryan Murphy
Outstanding Writing For A Limited Series, Movie Or Dramatic Special - House By The Lake by Tom Rob Smith
Outstanding Casting For A Limited Series, Movie Or Special
Outstanding Contemporary Costumes - The Man Who Would Be Vogue
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Limited Series Or Movie
Outstanding Makeup For A Limited Series Or Movie (Non-Prosthetic)
Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Limited Series Or Movie - Alone
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Limited Series Or Movie - House by the Lake
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Limited Series Or Movie - Manhunt
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Limited Series Or Movie - The Man Who Would Be Vogue
Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series - The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story: America’s Obsessions

• Love 1
On 7/13/2018 at 2:21 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

I'm thrilled it received so many nominations, although I'm gutted for Cody. Darren and Judith are very strong shots, I feel.

To be the only one of the entire main and supporting cast not nominated must have been so disappointing for him. It took him a day to get his congratulations Insta post up, which makes me wonder if he was too hurt to say anything the day of the noms. Glad Witrock slipped in there. I could see him pulling out a win. In light of Fern's snub, Ricky Martin's nomination really stings. He was easily the weakest and least featured of the cast.

• Love 1
On 15/07/2018 at 6:18 PM, sashayshante said:

To be the only one of the entire main and supporting cast not nominated must have been so disappointing for him. It took him a day to get his congratulations Insta post up, which makes me wonder if he was too hurt to say anything the day of the noms.

I am not sure we should read too much into the time it took him to post something, unless he is one of those people who compulsively tweets and posts every hour of the day.

He was not the only one overlooked in the main and supporting cast; Jon Jon Briones and Joanna P. Adler, the actors playing AC's parents, were also passed over despite putting in strong performances, although it sometimes looked like bits of the latter's scenes were cut in the final edit which would have shortened her role (some of those missings shots and lines were still featured in the "next episode" trailers).

• Love 1

Not only is it a large cast but each TV season there are dozens of worthy candidates for the numerous awards given by various bodies and only a handful of people get nominated, while most of those nominated do not win. Competition comes not only from within the show's own cast, but also from the other shows broadcast over the year.

In the case of ACS: Versace, I thought that the performances by Briones, Fern and Adler were more meritorious than those from Cruz and Martin, much better known faces. It's hard not to notice the performance by the actor in the lead role, even though he may be less established as it the case with DC; but it is much easier to miss unfamiliar faces in the supporting cast, despite the strength of their performance.

I'm thrilled that ACS did so very well last night--Best Directing for a Limited Series, Best Actor in a Limited Series, Best Limited Series. THRILLED. And they should've won more--IMO the two votes for Best Supporting Actor/Actress for a Limited Series vote was split. (And WHY was not Cody Fern on the ballot?) I'm so happy for everyone on this team.

But I do wish more of them had remembered the victims in their speeches. Ryan Murphy remembered but his was the last speech of the night and he had no guarantee ACS would win Best Limited series. He also also named some of them--he skipped over Lee and William. He and Darrin both should've fully remembered the victims. This amazing, poetic and insightful series was built on their tragedy, their murders.

• Love 5

A few more awards for the series, this time from the "Online Film and Television Association": Limited Series, Darren Criss as Best Actor, Judith Light as Best Supporting Actress, ensemble, writing, production design, and costume design awards. I had heard little about this group previously; from the description on their Web site, it appears that anybody can join and vote, something like a well organised group of fans on the Internet.

• Love 1