Type keyword(s) to search

American Crime Story in the Media

• Start Topic

Without having read Tobin's book, I would be open to a season about the scandal if we get as fresh a perspective on Monica Lewinsky as we did for Marcia Clark.  I remember the incessant "she's fat, she's ugly, etc" jokes during that time, and I think what always gets so lost is that she was a (relative) kid who had her life ruined, and bore the considerable amount of blame for the affair.  

If that is indeed the topic, it's a savvy move on Ryan Murphy's part - since seasons 2 & 3 will both happen in 2018, I'm guessing season 4 will happen in 2019...right in time for the next presidential election.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Without having read Tobin's book, I would be open to a season about the scandal if we get as fresh a perspective on Monica Lewinsky as we did for Marcia Clark.  I remember the incessant "she's fat, she's ugly, etc" jokes during that time, and I think what always gets so lost is that she was a (relative) kid who had her life ruined, and bore the considerable amount of blame for the affair.  

Yeah, I'm too young to remember the actual scandal, but then I remember realizing recently that she is the age that I am now (22) when it happened, and I feel a lot more sympathy for her. I've been an intern with some powerful male bosses (not as powerful as the president, mind you) and I have a better perspective on how someone like Lewinsky could get wrapped up in something like this.

That being said, this is the absolute last thing we need on TV in the next four years.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I feel like this might just be a vehicle to help Sarah Paulson get an Emmy for playing Hillary Clinton.

That's where this is going, right?

Heh, I was wondering which fading actor will get to re-invigorate his career by playing Bill.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I guess it does depend on the perspective the show would take.  would it be more anti-Bill, how he took advantage of a young, impressionable, eager to please intern to prove his power, manhood, desireability, etc. and how his selfish actions threatened our country?  Or more of a pro-Bill, that yeah what he did wasn't great, but Monica was perfectly fine with it and nobody gave a rats ass about it; the crime is how it blew up into a huge deal, a real needless "impeachment" hearing, a way for the Reps to disparage him, Hillary and the Dems and thus destroy, or at least significantly hurt, Gore's chances of becoming President - how that led to butterfly ballots and hanging chads and the Supreme Court and oh heck that crime could be a whole nother series.

• Love 3
On 1/18/2017 at 8:02 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

Apparently, Ryan Murphy is looking all the way to season 4, and has optioned another Jeffrey Tobin book. Looks like a possible season 4 will be about the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/01/american-crime-story-monica-lewinsky-ryan-murphy-hillary-clinton-bill-clinton?mbid=social_facebook

There was no actual crime there though. Please NO.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:11 PM, marymon said:

Haha I bet people said no about doing OJ too.

Not even remotely similar.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I feel like this might just be a vehicle to help Sarah Paulson get an Emmy for playing Hillary Clinton.

That's where this is going, right?

18 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Heh, I was wondering which fading actor will get to re-invigorate his career by playing Bill.

Ha, when I thought about casting, the first thing that popped in my head was "So, Sarah Paulson as Hillary and John Travolta as Bill, right?" 

4 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

There was no actual crime there though. Please NO.

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with you; I feel like there's a lot of ways this could go wrong.  Unless Ryan Murphy (or the book I guess) is taking the stance that having the impeachment was the crime.

• Love 2
On March 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM, jaync said:

True, and the reducing of Katrina to being just a hurricane with some looting lends credence as to why those stories should be told/retold.

http://understandingkatrina.ssrc.org/Kaufman/

Thanks for the link. I read the article and I don't know how people managed. I bet there are a lot of people who experience guilt and shame whenever Katrina is mentioned. Desperation and ignorance makes people do horrible things.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2017 at 10:42 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I'm not sure getting into the Clintons right now is a good idea.  Not that I wouldnt want to see Ryan Murphy Presents:  Bill and Hillary Clinton but now might not be the time.

Well, it wouldn't be right now. Season 4 is at least a couple of years down the road.

On 1/20/2017 at 5:49 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with you; I feel like there's a lot of ways this could go wrong.  Unless Ryan Murphy (or the book I guess) is taking the stance that having the impeachment was the crime.

Yes, it could be considering the law-breaking (lying under oath) that led to impeachment, or the entire Ken Star investigation as a "crime" (a travesty), or both.

The Clinton impeachment is about to look like amateur hour after whatever happens with this administration so maybe they'll change course. 

I would like to see this show do a season that takes place before I was born. *slides a note to Ryan Murphy that just reads "MANSON"*

• Love 4

I didn't realize that either. I knew it was going to be a huge undertaking special effects-wise, but I didn't realize it was going to be years worth of special effects (and obviously scheduling is a huge issue with that star-studded of a cast). I hope it actually happens, I'm getting a little worried it might get to difficult and get scrapped, and I'm not looking forward to Lewinsky at all.

It can also mean just the killing of a prominent person.

Plus, there were some political issues involved with the story, particularly when there were rumors of Mafia involvement.  And one of Cunanan's other victims was a well-connected Chicago real estate developer.

The casting, particularly Edgar Ramirez, is uncanny.  Although Cunanan wasn't nearly as pretty as Darren Criss, nor was he in that kind of shape at the time of the murder.  A lot of the photos of him on the set are eerie, though.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Not sure if this is news or not, but I saw Darren Criss (from Glee) posted a picture of the cover of a script for this show on Instagram, so he is involved somehow.

He's playing Andrew Cunanan in the Versace season.

• Love 3
On 6/21/2017 at 4:25 PM, smiley13 said:

Not sure why they are calling his death an "assassination"?  He was just a fashion designer.  

The word “assassination” is very deliberately used in the show name, Murphy said. “Assassination has a political overtone and denotes somebody taking a life to make a point.”

Edited by ennui
  • Love 4
On 6/21/2017 at 4:25 PM, smiley13 said:

Not sure why they are calling his death an "assassination"?  He was just a fashion designer.  

This reminds me of Chris Rock's joke about Biggie and Tupac not being assassinated, "Them two ***** were shot!"
Versace was a prominent person in the industry.

• Love 1
On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 5:44 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

The focus of the Katrina season has now changed - they will now be using the book Five Days at Memorial as the basis for the season. That's what I had been hoping they'd do since the Katrina season was announced, so I'm glad for the shift. I also highly recommend the book. 

Yeah the initial concept seemed so unfocused, so this makes me more interested.

• Love 1

A predictable reaction from the Versace family. It's based on the debatable premise that only the family or estate of famous dead persons have a monopoly on the truth about them and that only authorized or approved portrayals are acceptable or factual. Which would be bad news for historians and biographers all over.

They may think that the show is a kind of biopic about the designer, whereas the book it is based on does not cover his whole life and deals with the murder and the circumstances leading to it. The title of the series underscores that.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2018 at 8:03 AM, Florinaldo said:

They may think that the show is a kind of biopic about the designer, whereas the book it is based on does not cover his whole life and deals with the murder and the circumstances leading to it. The title of the series underscores that.

The book's subtitle is "The Assassination of Gianni Versace".

19 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

The book's subtitle is "The Assassination of Gianni Versace".

Exactly. Just as the TV series announces itself as being about the murder and what led up to it, not about the life of the designer or how he built his company. As I recall (it has been a few years since I read it) it is the furthest thing from a biography and so the show based on it isn't either, which the Versace family overlooked in their press releases (deliberately or not).

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 2

Interesting interview with the actor who plays Cuananan's father. It appears that some of the family interactions were at least as harrowing or difficult as the murders, but he and DC worked closely to resolve the issue (he does not spoil that plot point; we will just have to wait for that particular episode).

ETA: Some people might be interested by a chance to meet with two of the actors on the show and to do a good deed at the same time.

Edited by Florinaldo