Type keyword(s) to search

Christine Brown Woolley: Nacho Sister Wife Anymore

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Just watched the carrot cake video and I thought Christine was really good.  She did all the things I want in a cooking show--she gave tricks (parchment paper and pineapple juice in the frosting, applesauce instead of oil) and she talked about which ingredients are optional--walnuts, pineapple and coconut.  Note, they are not optional for me.  

Maybe it is too remedial for a regular home baker, but I want to make the cake.

As a lifelong baker, and retired professional...you will not get the same cake with a plain old cup for cup swap of oil to applesauce.  If you did...there would be no need for oil in the first place. You can risk having a wet and glooey texture to the cake.

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I am no gourmet cook or baker but this was really underwhelming to me.  That high pitched enthusiasm is like a pin in my ear.  She didn't give the amounts of some of the ingredients and what, exactly, is a "block" of butter? 

And, seriously, that parchment paper trick that she was so "amazed" about is like baking 101.

I cannot even begin to imagine the calorie count on that thing.

The "high pitched enthusiasm" to my ear sounds like Christine's "I am not fully comfortable doing this...but I am doing it anyway" voice.

I think when she says "block" of butter she means a standard stick, but I couldn't quite see the size of the butter since I watched it on my phone. Since TLC isn't a food or cooking network I doubt that anyone is coaching her to use more "standard American" terms vs local slang. When I worked in a commissary bakery the butter came in blocks...one pound blocks.

Calories? What calories? It has carrots!! lolol I don't think anyone eats carrot cake with cream cheese icing even pretending it is low calorie or "healthy".

• Love 19

I think when she says "block" of butter she means a standard stick, but I couldn't quite see the size of the butter since I watched it on my phone. Since TLC isn't a food or cooking network I doubt that anyone is coaching her to use more "standard American" terms vs local slang. When I worked in a commissary bakery the butter came in blocks...one pound blocks.

TLC is owned by the same company that owns the Food Network, HGTV, and Discovery. Someone from the Food Network could coach her if her cooking show takes off. Also, the whole world is owned by 6 people when you start looking into it. Certainly, the television stations and streaming networks are all owned by a very small group of companies.

And Christine's recipes aren't any more unhealthy than those made by the Food Network stars. Most of them get flavor by using a whole stick of butter in everything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
19 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

From the preview it looks like she’ll be making some sort of veggie omelette at some point as well as her famous rolls (that look amazing a-MAY-zink by the way, I’m sure Kody will be missing them).

FIFY

• LOL 10
19 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Maybe Robyn will take note of the recipe when Christine bakes them next as she is no longer "too pretty to cook". 

Wonder if the nanny made the Thanksgiving turkey last year and would make these from Christine's recipe??

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Roslyn said:

I think when she says "block" of butter she means a standard stick, but I couldn't quite see the size of the butter since I watched it on my phone.

According to the recipe that ginger90 posted, the "block" is 1 stick (1/4 lb or 8 tablespoons), but in Alberta, the standard "block" of butter is 454g (1 lb or 4-sticks worth). US-style, individual "sticks" are less common and twice the price for the same total volume.  My sister in the eastern US routinely buys tiny blocks that are 1/8 lb or half the size of one of Christine's blocks/sticks.

But that sure is a huge amount of butter, cream cheese & sugar in that icing!

I also hate recipes that have measurements like "1 can" of tomatoes, since many things come in 2-3 different can sizes, and in plygville that includes Janelle's #10s (109 oz, the equivalent of >5 soup cans).

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Roslyn said:

The "high pitched enthusiasm" to my ear sounds like Christine's "I am not fully comfortable doing this...but I am doing it anyway" voice.

I didn't notice that she was high pitched. I thought for a beginner doing a cooking segment she did a great job and the cake looked moist and yummy.  But...she said she adds pineapple to her frosting yet I didn't see her doing that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, bichonblitz said:

But...she said she adds pineapple to her frosting yet I didn't see her doing that.  

I thought she said she adds the pineapple juice to the icing after putting the solids into the cake.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Didn't most of the big kids go to, or are currently enrolled in college? She was the one who taught them all. She said she followed the CDC guidelines for covid precautions, just not Kody and Robyn's extra added precautions.

Thank you! I hope she's having a blast doing these.

Based on what I saw, Christine and Janelle were not forthright about their actual precaution practices.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Oh, ok. That makes sense. I thought she meant she adds pineapple bits to the frosting. 

She didn't specify what amount of pineapple juice, she just kept adding by the tablespoon until she had the right consistency to be spreadable yet firm enough to support the top layer of cake.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Didn't most of the big kids go to, or are currently enrolled in college? She was the one who taught them all. She said she followed the CDC guidelines for covid precautions, just not Kody and Robyn's extra added precautions.

Thank you! I hope she's having a blast doing these.

I think she only homeschooled the kids when they were very young.  IIRC the kids were all in school (church school or public school) at the time the series started.  Remember Logan getting his siblings ready for school in the first episode?

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

I think she only homeschooled the kids when they were very young.  IIRC the kids were all in school (church school or public school) at the time the series started.  Remember Logan getting his siblings ready for school in the first episode?

Thank you, I totally forgot that! I now remember wondering wth Kody was doing that he wasn't, at the very least, helping Logan with the morning rush. That was like one of the first things that ticked me off about him lol.

I need to do a full rewatch at some point and see if it all lands differently now.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I am no gourmet cook or baker but this was really underwhelming to me.  That high pitched enthusiasm is like a pin in my ear.  She didn't give the amounts of some of the ingredients and what, exactly, is a "block" of butter? 

And, seriously, that parchment paper trick that she was so "amazed" about is like baking 101.

I cannot even begin to imagine the calorie count on that thing.

I believe she said a "cube" of butter, which I took to mean a bit larger than a pat, so all sides are the same (like a cube 😉)

Anyway, I really enjoyed watching her cook while telling her stories. I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time, so I can appreciate what it takes to do both.

Also can't fault her for discovering parchment paper. I'm not a baker, and still wonder how or why it doesn't burn in the oven!

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

The block was referring to the cream cheese which I took to mean the 8 oz package you see in the stores.

I quote from the video:  "We have one cube of butter, an eight ounce package of cream cheese..."  Followed by adding spices with no mention of what the second spice was or the measurement whilst waxing rhapsodic about the texture of the fats together.

But, again, an outlier in my eye rolling about the "program".

• LOL 3
On 2/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, iwantcookies said:

I hate bare feet. I gag just thinking of them. The summer is the worst. I wear socks all the time every season.

Yes, me too and I hate for people to remove their shoes in my home. Please keep your shoes ON

• Love 6

I now remember wondering wth Kody was doing that he wasn't, at the very least, helping Logan with the morning rush. That was like one of the first things that ticked me off about him lol.

I don't think Kody was a hands-on parent at all. Although Paedon said that Kody apparently did things with Robyn's kids that he never did with them, so maybe he changed a bit. But if he did help, they haven't shown it on the show. Kody always seemed like more of a drive-by parent, who wandered through, talked to the kids a bit and maybe occasionally took them for ice cream, and left everything else up to the mothers. Mostly up to Christine, which probably angered her a lot when he also couldn't even be bothered to shower in her part of the house because he wanted to get away from all the kids he created.

• Love 10
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I don't think Kody was a hands-on parent at all. Although Paedon said that Kody apparently did things with Robyn's kids that he never did with them, so maybe he changed a bit. But if he did help, they haven't shown it on the show. Kody always seemed like more of a drive-by parent, who wandered through, talked to the kids a bit and maybe occasionally took them for ice cream, and left everything else up to the mothers. Mostly up to Christine, which probably angered her a lot when he also couldn't even be bothered to shower in her part of the house because he wanted to get away from all the kids he created.

This is one of my biggest gripes with parents who espouse having large numbers of children.  The time, energy and resources are so great.  Individual time with each child is not feasible.  It makes for a good realty show, but it doesn’t impress me.  Even if a parent were working to support a huge amount of children, when do they provide the other stuff?  Overextending yourself is not fair to the kids, imo.  

There’s some suggestion by the Christine that Robin’s kids are favored. Maybe so, but I recall when Truly was the major focus for years. Truly was mentioned in almost every episode. Christine and Kody talked about Truly a lot.   I suppose that’s normal for the baby in the family.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I quote from the video:  "We have one cube of butter, an eight ounce package of cream cheese..."  Followed by adding spices with no mention of what the second spice was or the measurement whilst waxing rhapsodic about the texture of the fats together.

But, again, an outlier in my eye rolling about the "program".

She did say a cube of butter. So I googled what is a cube of butter. Got various definitions but most say the term  cube of butter is used in some cookbooks and generallly means 4 oz. or 1 stick of butter. I have never heard cube used but it is not unheard of evidently. She did add a second spice to the frosting without naming it. This was her first attempt at baking on camera and she was probably nervous.  I watched audition tapes of a few of the food network stars and they weren't so great.  I think Christine was as good as some of these people. As time goes on she will improve. Personally I think she did a very good job for her first attempt at this. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
16 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

This was her first attempt at baking on camera and she was probably nervous

She may have been nervous, but she’s been doing cooking “lives” for quite a while.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

She may have been nervous, but she’s been doing cooking “lives” for quite a while.

I thought this was her first cooking show. Has she done  other shows where she demonstrated a recipe?  I know she was shown cooking occasionally on the TV show for her family but I would not consider that a cooking show. But maybe I missed her other cooking "lives." But I really don't know what cooking "lives" are.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I thought this was her first cooking show. Has she done  other shows where she demonstrated a recipe?  I know she was shown cooking occasionally on the TV show for her family but I would not consider that a cooking show. But maybe I missed her other cooking "lives." But I really don't know what cooking "lives" are.

I don't watch her LLR live presentations but I have heard that she sometimes relieves the monotony by cooking a little something during her "live". Makes her more relatable as a person who wants to engage her audience rather than just sell them something.

• Love 5

Ok I see. I don't watch her selling Lula Roe either so I didn't know that she cooks on these shows.  But a show devoted entirely to baking a cake and giving an exact recipe  is different from cooking a little while hawking LuLa Roe. At least I would think so. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Ok I see. I don't watch her selling Lula Roe either so I didn't know that she cooks on these shows.  But a show devoted entirely to baking a cake and giving an exact recipe  is different from cooking a little while hawking LuLa Roe. At least I would think so. 

She doesn’t do both simultaneously. On her Facebook LuLaNo page, she cooks “live”, separate from selling the clothing. I have found her to be pretty good at it, and I assume that’s where TLC got the idea. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, 65mickey said:

She did say a cube of butter. So I googled what is a cube of butter. Got various definitions but most say the term  cube of butter is used in some cookbooks and generallly means 4 oz. or 1 stick of butter. I have never heard cube used but it is not unheard of evidently. She did add a second spice to the frosting without naming it. This was her first attempt at baking on camera and she was probably nervous.  I watched audition tapes of a few of the food network stars and they weren't so great.  I think Christine was as good as some of these people. As time goes on she will improve. Personally I think she did a very good job for her first attempt at this. 

Having lived in places from the west coast to the east coast and a few places in between—in some areas, butter can come in more of a “cube” form versus a long stick. I don’t know why, but it’s noticeable because the first time we saw a cube of butter we were like, WTF is this? 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Having lived in places from the west coast to the east coast and a few places in between—in some areas, butter can come in more of a “cube” form versus a long stick. I don’t know why, but it’s noticeable because the first time we saw a cube of butter we were like, WTF is this? 😂

In Canada, butter is sold in one pound oblong blocks, wrapped in foil bonded to parchment paper.  The outer foil is marked with measurements for 1/4, 1/2. 1/3 and 1 cup markings.  Unfortunately, the wrapping never lines up precisely with the edges of the block, necessitating some guesswork, hauling out the measuring cups, or hit and miss ... not too important for normal cooking but sometimes in baking a recipe can be thrown off if measurements are not exact.  I realize that precious resources are wasted by wrapping individual 1/4 pound segments and encasing them in a waxed cardboard box to make a one pound block, but it would simplify life for me if I was able to purchase butter this way.

If a baking recipe calls for one cup of butter, I usually just double the recipe, using the 2 cup pound of butter and freezing the excess baked goods for another day.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

In Canada, butter is sold in one pound oblong blocks, wrapped in foil bonded to parchment paper.  The outer foil is marked with measurements for 1/4, 1/2. 1/3 and 1 cup markings.  Unfortunately, the wrapping never lines up precisely with the edges of the block, necessitating some guesswork, hauling out the measuring cups, or hit and miss ... not too important for normal cooking but sometimes in baking a recipe can be thrown off if measurements are not exact.  I realize that precious resources are wasted by wrapping individual 1/4 pound segments and encasing them in a waxed cardboard box to make a one pound block, but it would simplify life for me if I was able to purchase butter this way.

If a baking recipe calls for one cup of butter, I usually just double the recipe, using the 2 cup pound of butter and freezing the excess baked goods for another day.

It's easy to package and easy to measure and easy to store.  Plus you can freeze the sticks you don't need right away.  

• Love 5

I love using my kitchen scale w/zeroing button to measure things like butter by weight rather than volume. And if you do it in the mixing bowl, there are no measuring cups to wash!

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

Christine has a new cooking video for White Lasagna up on TLC. This does not appeal to me at all. Instead of marinara sauce she made it with an alfredo sauce. Back to the butter thing. She said that she added 1/2 of ? to the cheese sauce. I listened to what she called it twice and I could not understand what she said. But is was butter. It looked like  1/2 of a stick of butter. However  the recipe calls for a stick of butter. Why is she not able to say what most of us say, 1 stick of butter or 4 ounces. It's driving me nuts. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 3/2/2022 at 10:36 AM, Sandy W said:

On 3/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, deirdra said:

I love using my kitchen scale w/zeroing button to measure things like butter by weight rather than volume. And if you do it in the mixing bowl, there are no measuring cups to wash!

Especially with the internet allowing recipes from the US to be seen all over the world, we really need to follow the global standard of measuring by weight vs volume.  I started writing down my recipes years and years ago as gram weights.  It is so much faster and easier and no worries about how my one cup of flour weighs 150 grams and your cup of flour weighs 120 grams.

And I could step up on my soap box with how many Americans are completely clueless with mass weight and volume weight, thinking that fluid ounces and ounces are the same thing. 🙄😕

Edited by Roslyn
typing while consuming Sangria again...
  • Love 7

The whole cube vs stick of butter made me chuckle. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about😂

Here in Europe,  most use grams for weight and cl, dl to 1 litre for volume. A while ago, I found a measuring cup with my measurements on one side, and the imperial system and measurements in spoons and cups on the other. A lifesaver!

It still doesn’t list cubes or sticks though🤔 oh well… I wasn’t planning on trying Christine’s recipes anyway, though I love to hear her show seems to be a success.

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought Mykelti was great too.  They are fun to watch together. The chatter was good.

Mykelti has become a favorite of mine because she seems so happy and doesn't seem too have much drama swirl.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 13
On 3/2/2022 at 6:34 AM, TurtlePower said:

A cube of butter has always meant one quarter pound stick to me. That is the same whether you're using east coast or west coast butter -- they're shaped differently but weigh the same.

I, too, prefer to go by weight in grams -- love my kitchen scale!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, LilyD said:

The whole cube vs stick of butter made me chuckle. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about😂

Here in Europe,  most use grams for weight and cl, dl to 1 litre for volume. A while ago, I found a measuring cup with my measurements on one side, and the imperial system and measurements in spoons and cups on the other. A lifesaver!

It still doesn’t list cubes or sticks though🤔 oh well… I wasn’t planning on trying Christine’s recipes anyway, though I love to hear her show seems to be a success.

A "stick" of butter is 4 ounces or 113 grams. An 8 ounce package of cream cheese is 226 grams

Flour is pretty subjective because every person will scoop flour into a volume measuring cup differently.  And different flours have different weights with equal volume. I usually suggest that people measure their own cup of flour how they "usually" do it and then weigh that flour to the nearest gram and then they can change their volume based recipes to weight.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Roslyn said:

A "stick" of butter is 4 ounces or 113 grams. An 8 ounce package of cream cheese is 226 grams

Flour is pretty subjective because every person will scoop flour into a volume measuring cup differently.  And different flours have different weights with equal volume. I usually suggest that people measure their own cup of flour how they "usually" do it and then weigh that flour to the nearest gram and then they can change their volume based recipes to weight.

You are supposed to use a spoon to fill your dry measuring cup with flour, not sticking it in the container and scooping it out. Plus you have to either sift or not sift depending on your recipe and when to sift that flour before or after measuring.  Most people think sifting doesn't matter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I watched the lasagna video on TLC.  I use marinara sauce for mine.  The use of alfredo-like sauce is way too caloric for me.  Mykelti and Christine together in the kitchen was fun to watch.  

I agree - the carrot cake looked luscious, but the white lasagna not so much.

• Love 3
(edited)

Lasagna with marinara is just typical lasagna, lasagna with alfredo or other white cheese or béchamel based sauce is 'white lasagna'.  They have very different flavor profiles.  I love both kinds and make both kinds routinely.  If someone wants white lasagna I would never use marinara or similar as the sauce because then it wouldn't be white lasagna.  For my white lasagna I do use less if any meat and more spinach.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

I wonder what she's cooking next week?  That egg dish we saw a clip of with Truely?

For me the 8 minute clips are perfect to watch.  Not sure if I could watch a half-hour cooking show.  I think Christine would run out of dishes to make pretty quickly at that rate.

• Love 4

Adding the heavy alfredo sauce over ground beef looked gross to me. And she added mushrooms. I can't abide mushrooms. So that dish was a no for me. 

She does seem at ease doing these little cooking shows and I like that she as her children with her. I hope she is successful with this. 

• Love 10

Don’t want to spoil things for her, but the thought she probably made these dishes for Kodouche kinda makes me loose my appetite…Does anyone else have similar feelings? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

You are supposed to use a spoon to fill your dry measuring cup with flour, not sticking it in the container and scooping it out. Plus you have to either sift or not sift depending on your recipe and when to sift that flour before or after measuring.  Most people think sifting doesn't matter.

Yes, spooning your flour from its container into the measuring cup and then leveling with a straight butter knife is a modern standard and is usually explained in cookbooks.  There was a time (my Grandma's days) when scooping your cup into the container of flour and then putting it through the sifter was standard.  Sifting came to be because flour often had "stuff" in it, sometimes debris and sometimes weevils that were sifted out, but I'm sure that someone noticed that sifted flour incorporated better into the baked goods.  My Grandmother had her "family cup" when I was little that was the "cup" used in cooking and baking measurements, but by the time I was helping in the kitchen (when I was about 5) she used the American standardized measuring cups instead.

These days sifting is encouraged to lighten and be sure you don't have lumps, and I do it especially with cakes.  I even still sift my powdered (icing) sugar with cake flour three separate times for my Angel food cake.  I don't really really think it needs more than once, but I learned from Grandma to always do it three times and it's probably more superstition these days.

17 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Quoting myself...what I meant by this was if someone wants to turn their own recipe from a volume measured recipe to a weight recipe it is best to measure the ingredients how you usually measure, and then take the weight.  If someone makes a recipe for years by dipping their measuring cup into the flour container then that is the amount of flour in their recipe vs the written recipe. And its best to do it that way when converting to weight.

I am hoping that at some point Christine shares her Thanksgiving rolls recipe.  The ones that Kody so lovingly rips all the tops off for himself leaving the "waste" behind 🙄 for the commoners to eat (sarcasm of course...) These rolls are also a part of my child hood as several women in my Grandmother's church made them for pot lucks and church functions.  One woman in particular made them far superior to all the others, and she always insisted she "just followed the recipe in the cookbook".  My mother again and again made the recipe but they never tasted like the woman at church. As I grew up and learned the science of baking I often wondered if it wasn't as simple as how everyone measures their flour.  I am pedantic when I write my recipes down and I began to transfer them to gram weight years ago.  I would love for them to reliably work after I am gone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Yes, spooning your flour from its container into the measuring cup and then leveling with a straight butter knife is a modern standard and is usually explained in cookbooks.  There was a time (my Grandma's days) when scooping your cup into the container of flour and then putting it through the sifter was standard.  Sifting came to be because flour often had "stuff" in it, sometimes debris and sometimes weevils that were sifted out, but I'm sure that someone noticed that sifted flour incorporated better into the baked goods.  My Grandmother had her "family cup" when I was little that was the "cup" used in cooking and baking measurements, but by the time I was helping in the kitchen (when I was about 5) she used the American standardized measuring cups instead.

These days sifting is encouraged to lighten and be sure you don't have lumps, and I do it especially with cakes.  I even still sift my powdered (icing) sugar with cake flour three separate times for my Angel food cake.  I don't really really think it needs more than once, but I learned from Grandma to always do it three times and it's probably more superstition these days.

Quoting myself...what I meant by this was if someone wants to turn their own recipe from a volume measured recipe to a weight recipe it is best to measure the ingredients how you usually measure, and then take the weight.  If someone makes a recipe for years by dipping their measuring cup into the flour container then that is the amount of flour in their recipe vs the written recipe. And its best to do it that way when converting to weight.

I am hoping that at some point Christine shares her Thanksgiving rolls recipe.  The ones that Kody so lovingly rips all the tops off for himself leaving the "waste" behind 🙄 for the commoners to eat (sarcasm of course...) These rolls are also a part of my child hood as several women in my Grandmother's church made them for pot lucks and church functions.  One woman in particular made them far superior to all the others, and she always insisted she "just followed the recipe in the cookbook".  My mother again and again made the recipe but they never tasted like the woman at church. As I grew up and learned the science of baking I often wondered if it wasn't as simple as how everyone measures their flour.  I am pedantic when I write my recipes down and I began to transfer them to gram weight years ago.  I would love for them to reliably work after I am gone.

Sifting dry ingredients such as salt, sugar, b. powder, s. soda. cocoa powder etc. also distributes them more evenly through the flour, giving a more consistent result.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Don’t want to spoil things for her, but the thought she probably made these dishes for Kodouche kinda makes me loose my appetite…Does anyone else have similar feelings? 

I think she made these for all the kids. I doubt Kodouche ate much at Christine's.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I think she made these for all the kids. I doubt Kodouche ate much at Christine's.

ETA: I actually like the idea of white lasagna. I like the spinach and mushrooms. Tomato sauce often doesn't settle well in my stomach. I can see using ground chicken instead of beef it would lighten it up some.

Interesting using the poultry seasoning to make it taste like pork. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Adding the poultry seasoning to the beef was a huge turnoff for me. I have a feeling there are probably not a lot Christine's recipes that I would like but I hope that her show is a huge success. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4