Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

On 7/22/2020 at 9:11 PM, DakotaJustice said:

Damn. I wonder how much he's paying Janelle for the infomercial.

I'll give my feel good summer tips right here!!!

• Drink lots of water
  • Have a cocktail once in awhile
  • Summer reads are the best reads
  • Eat summer fruit now while it's at its peak
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Walk

No charge! 

My guess is that she received this wonderful educational course for free in exchange for shilling it to her followers.  I can't stand Janelle, and I think she's a complete idiot, but I also think that even she knows the whole thing is a rip off.  But, like the rest of the family, she'll do whatever it takes to get money or something for free.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Once again, Janelle is "surprised" by something she could have researched and known before doing herself. Everything seems to surprise her. Lord knows what she's going to do with them--drown them in ranch? Bread and fry them in an inch of butter (and dip them in ranch?)?

Here's to hoping she does something healthy with them🤷‍♀️

• Love 7

In addition to frying, her followers have suggested things like zucchini bread.  I like mine steamed and topped with a bit of salt and butter - so I can taste the ... zucchini!

• Love 3
(edited)

Boiled Summer Squash and boiled onions.

I love summer squash (in season) and I L O V E onions...not boiled.  Take the same ingredients in a different way and you can make them sing.  Hell...just a pat of butter or olive oil and a bit of cooking to caramelize the onions...then add the squash.  Hit it with pepper, salt and a splash of white wine.  It would be a hell of a lot better than boiled rock soup.  😣

I grow a specific variety of heirloom zucchini, Costata Romanesco.  It is believed to be the original variety that the modern hybrids were bred from.  It does NOT produce many fruits in a season, but tons of male blossoms.  Which may be a reason why regional cuisines stuff and cook squash blossoms.  It is the most flavorful of all zucchini in my opinion.  Even after it is a bit large it just needs sliced, a touch of oil and grilled.  That's it and it's delicious.

...boiled squash and onions... no wonder Janelle hates vegetables.

Edited by Roslyn
...spelling is hard
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Once again, Janelle is "surprised" by something she could have researched and known before doing herself. Everything seems to surprise her. Lord knows what she's going to do with them--drown them in ranch? Bread and fry them in an inch of butter (and dip them in ranch?)?

Here's to hoping she does something healthy with them🤷‍♀️

I vote that she's going to fry them in her air fryer until they're as crispy as possible, then slather them with a thick layer of Ranch and ketchup so she won't actually taste the zucchini.

ETA - i thought she had raised beds in Vegas?  I remember seeing them in her backyard?

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 4

This relates to Janelle in that while she's still finding rock stars and marveling over zucchini plants producing, I have lost the weight I needed to and kept it off.  It might not have been easy, but it was simple.  I signed up for a tracker online and put every bit of food into it and also track all exercise.  The app calculates a daily allowance based on the data and it fluctuates depending on how much exercise I do.  My job is to stay under the net calorie line almost every day and if I do exceed it, keep it as low as possible.  Apparently that's too basic for Janelle and she doesn't even seem to have an idea why she isn't losing.  I expect she'd be shocked to see how many calories she's consuming and how little she's expending. 

• Love 8

Mmm Zucchini corn pancakes, zucchini noodles, zucchini lasagne, all the things I have made in the last 2 weeks with my zucchini but evidently Janelle doesn't know how to operate the Google.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

This relates to Janelle in that while she's still finding rock stars and marveling over zucchini plants producing, I have lost the weight I needed to and kept it off.  It might not have been easy, but it was simple.  I signed up for a tracker online and put every bit of food into it and also track all exercise.  The app calculates a daily allowance based on the data and it fluctuates depending on how much exercise I do.  My job is to stay under the net calorie line almost every day and if I do exceed it, keep it as low as possible.  Apparently that's too basic for Janelle and she doesn't even seem to have an idea why she isn't losing.  I expect she'd be shocked to see how many calories she's consuming and how little she's expending. 

Does she even care at this point? She never mentions losing weight anymore but OTOH many, many fans go on and on about Janelle's weight loss journey. There IS no journey. That ended five years ago when Sean was given the boot.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Go in Janelle's mind garden boxes and raised beds are two different things?

She wouldn't lie to us now would she?

The garden boxes are square but the raised beds are rectangular.  Maybe she does not understand that makes no difference; if you put soil and seeds in them, they grow into plants.  Did she just let the stuff in Vegas wither and die?

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
(edited)

Janelle should have headed straight for home after her purchases.  The corn and grapes look like they have spent several hours in a hot car trunk, the tomatoes are split and one has a serious bruise.  I see no benefit to buying "farm fresh" when the tomatoes need to be heavily trimmed.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 8

That corn looks dead. The tomatoes don't bother me as the taste of home grown or farm grown tomatoes so outclass grocery store tomatoes I'll gladly cut out a few bad spots. The grapes look like they were on the way to being raisins.  Don't think those grapes were local, do grapes grow in Flagstaff?

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Even the onions look wilted. 

She's saying she got them at the Farmers market so I would assume she picked them out herself? 

Based on the grammatical errors, she just doesn't give a shit about anything. 

Maybe you get a more joyful belly if the veggies you consume are old. Digestion. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Maybe this is a box pre prepared to be picked up? If so, I think I would pass on it if it looked like that on delivery. If she put it in her trunk and ran other errands basically cooking the veggies then shame on her.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Maybe this is a box pre prepared to be picked up? If so, I think I would pass on it if it looked like that on delivery. If she put it in her trunk and ran other errands basically cooking the veggies then shame on her.

Since she proudly posted a photo of her "haul" I'm guessing she hasn't a clue about what veggies look like at their best. 

@ginger90 any comments? I bet noone dared mention the wilted veg.

• Love 3

She lives right near a Farmers market - remember mother's day a year ago when she went there to buy lemonade and chocolate cupcakes? 

The corn sellers at my local farmers market all brag and show off their tender, green just-picked sweet corn - those ears wouldn't even make it to the market, they'd be fed to livestock. Embarrassing.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

@ginger90 any comments? I bet noone dared mention the wilted veg.

Mostly just “looks yummy”, and similar. 🤦‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
Someone mentioned going plant based (because Janelle mentioned bacon) here’s her response:

933CCD02-C9C9-405F-8859-CF18A7F08A52.jpeg

• Love 2
8 hours ago, suomi said:

Moldy Fruit Sculptures Formed From Precious Gemstones Challenge Perceptions of Decoration and Decay

Who thinks up this stuff?  

It was actually less icky than I had imagined.  

• Love 3

Her homes have always had the same dull, brown color scheme.  And the furniture/pillows have that soggy look, like when someone's dirty head constantly lays all over the pleather furniture, discoloring them.  

And if I'm understanding this picture, she's got the door open so she can throw the dog's ball from her recliner?  Into the weeds?  I don't know.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 7/28/2020 at 6:20 AM, ginger90 said:

A couple of things here, her house is depressing, should she have a dog, does she just leave the door open all the time,  and does she have a lawnmower?

Cute dog!

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

All extremely valid points.  After reading her synopsis I gathered that "yes", she leaves the door open all day long.  So there must be a million bugs slithering and oozing and flying around the place.  

Not to mention prairie dogs, snakes, elk, bear, deer, mountain lions...

Ok, not sure about those last few, but still it's probably not smart to leave your door open all the time in Flagstaff.  😁

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Who lives in an all brown world these days?  Go to a paint store and get some other color, for Pete's sake.  No wonder she's always depressed.

4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Her homes have always had the same dull, brown color scheme.  And the furniture/pillows have that soggy look, like when someone's dirty head constantly lays all over the pleather furniture, discoloring them.  

And if I'm understanding this picture, she's got the door open so she can throw the dog's ball from her recliner?  Into the weeds?  I don't know.

Especially after her house in Las Vegas had so much light.  She could get away with dark furniture etc because it was so bright there.  Bring that big clunky stuff into a low ceiling ranch house with old style lighting and windows and she lives in a cave.

My house is surrounded by 40 foot tall evergreen trees (OH!! The TREES!!) and I realized years ago I needed brighter natural light.  I moved into my sons north facing bedroom after he moved out and even tho I wanted to choose a nice color I went with white semi gloss.  For whatever reason it gets the brightest light year round and with the white walls it is always bright with natural light.  It makes a huge difference with my moods, especially since the peri-menopause is shifting into menopause.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Who lives in an all brown world these days?  Go to a paint store and get some other color, for Pete's sake.  No wonder she's always depressed.

Most rentals you are not allowed to paint the walls any other color than a white.

• Love 4
Just now, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Most rentals you are not allowed to paint the walls any other color than a white.

She could probably get the landlord to approve interior painting. I was able to and I even painted my front door turquoise! She's just not motivated to lift a finger. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

She could probably get the landlord to approve interior painting. I was able to and I even painted my front door turquoise! She's just not motivated to lift a finger. 

Maybe some will.  But I've never lived anywhere you could do any painting.  You sure can't paint the walls any other color than white.  For sanitary reasons.  Same with a lighter colored carpet.  New tenants have to be able to tell it is clean or has been cleaned.  

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Maybe some will.  But I've never lived anywhere you could do any painting.  You sure can't paint the walls any other color than white.  For sanitary reasons.  Same with a lighter colored carpet.  New tenants have to be able to tell it is clean or has been cleaned.  

I'm with you on the light colored carpeting, if there must be carpeting.  For that reason, I try to avoid restaurants with patterned carpeting, designed to cover a multitude of spills.  She may be hampered by landlord restrictions on walls and carpet, but surely she could do something with those window coverings.  I cant figure what's going on with that drapery to the right of the sliding door or the mismatched piece that is visible on the left side of the photo.  They may have been there when she took the place, but Janelle's "Oh Well" attitude would be just willing to make do.  She brings to mind a song I learned as a little kid..."Brighten The Corner Where You Are"..............But. Janelle.

If that's her veggie garden she is so proud of that we can see off the patio area, I don't know how she finds her crops to harvest, it just looks like a weed patch to me.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

But she could at least open the drapes completely.  They usually are half closed.  Poor Obi - he's the former puppy they got Gabe as his consolation prize for leaving Las Vegas.  So now they have two dogs they ignore most of the time.

• Love 4
On 7/28/2020 at 6:10 AM, ginger90 said:

Mostly just “looks yummy”, and similar. 🤦‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
Someone mentioned going plant based (because Janelle mentioned bacon) here’s her response:

933CCD02-C9C9-405F-8859-CF18A7F08A52.jpeg

I've always had a problem with people indicating plant "based" as being vegan. A "base" to me means the largest portion you build from, which makes sense. Vegan should really be called "plant exclusive". 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Someone asked what he made. Janelle said tacos, “It’s pretty much a staple at our house.”.

THIS is the stove in a rental that costs several thousand dollars PER MONTH!!??

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Janelle's rental house is very modest and only costs $2,850 a month.  It's the others that had to have the expensive million dollar rentals.  

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

Janelle's rental house is very modest and only costs $2,850 a month.  It's the others that had to have the expensive million dollar rentals.  

ONLY 2850 A MONTH

Wow...........I may be naive but holy crap that seems like a LOT to pay for a modest rental house.  

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

ONLY 2850 A MONTH

Wow...........I may be naive but holy crap that seems like a LOT to pay for a modest rental house.  

I agree, but given Flagstaff's apparent property values, I guess it's par for the course, even in a bad neighborhood.  How unsettling this move has been for all of them, Janelle blowing over $34,000 a year in rent and Meri nearly $50,000 a year... and still nothing on the horizon that indicates a housing resolution.  Christine seems to have had the right idea when she bought a smaller home than she had in LV, but adequate for her immediate needs.  If she isn't as hard on this home as she was on the LV house, she stands to earn some equity there.  The only one that has gained ground is Robyn, who reluctantly was forced to buy a nearly $1,000,000 home because God didn't have the time to locate the perfect "rennul" for her.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Roslyn said:

Probably the cheapest model if the landlord has to replace them very often.  The one in the house I rent is similar but it has a timer and clock on the top.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

The only one that has gained ground is Robyn, who reluctantly was forced to buy a nearly $1,000,000 home because God didn't have the time to locate the perfect "rennul" for her.

Robyn & Kootie probably view buying the nearly $1,000,000 home that the owners wouldn't rent to them as "saving" ~$60,000/yr in rent.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2