Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

Perhaps Wings is thinking of the televangelists and the Christian Right who love to tell the world what to do based on the Bible but completely ignore any parts of it that they don't like.  They seem to find their way around "do unto others" and "love your neighbor as yourself" quite handily.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I am speaking about what I see and hear. I said the religion was judgmental, not everyone in it.   Love you Snaggle. :^)

It depends on whose religion you're talking about.  Christians, Muslims, Jews etc. etc. come in many different flavors.  There are liberals and conservatives within each of them.  You wouldn't say all Americans are judgmental would you?  Neither are all Christians or Christian faiths.  Perhaps you were referring to what @Kohola3 referred to above - right wing, conservative "televangelist" Christians.  I belong to a very liberal Christian faith myself.  We have openly gay bishops and we're one of the oldest mainstream Christian denominations in the U.S.  To those not in the know it may surprise them to know that about us liberal Episcopalians.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 14
20 hours ago, wings707 said:

That is still going?  I am shocked.  

Agree, owners are well known homophobes.   That is not uncommon for Christians, I have noticed.  Very judgmental religion.  Maybe other religions are too, not raised in any of them. 

https://mysisterwifescloset.com

Yep, still going. And to be honest, there's a necklace in the sterling collection I like (it's a pixie, I love pixies), but am not going to pay $187 for. As far as the other stuff, it's just chintzy with cat-phrase "inspirational" words on them. Just like everything else out there (we've gone full circle with all this before I think). I check on the site every few months to see if it's still there. 

Edit: Noticed autocorrect put "cat-phrase" instead of catch-phrase. It's too funny to change. Imagine pendants with cat-phrases on them? "Meow", "Purr", "Be Slinky", "Diabolical" (well my cat is, she plays with mice 20 minutes before eating them).

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Yep, still going. And to be honest, there's a necklace in the sterling collection I like (it's a pixie, I love pixies), but am not going to pay $187 for. As far as the other stuff, it's just chintzy with cat-phrase "inspirational" words on them. Just like everything else out there (we've gone full circle with all this before I think). I check on the site every few months to see if it's still there. 

Edit: Noticed autocorrect put "cat-phrase" instead of catch-phrase. It's too funny to change. Imagine pendants with cat-phrases on them? "Meow", "Purr", "Be Slinky", "Diabolical" (well my cat is, she plays with mice 20 minutes before eating them).

Nice to see they finally have a real website! Their previous one was created in WordPress, which is notoriously non-secure. They've also switched to serving the entire site over https, which prevents attacks against the login page exploiting the use of http to serve pages that don't "need" to be served over https. (This is, or at least was until recently, a common mistakes sites would make. The login and checkout pages would be served over https [secure http], while the rest of the site would be served over http [not secure]. This leaves the secured pages open to attack due to the change between http and https.)

That said, I don't think that blog should be attached to this domain. It should be a separate domain. I say this because the blog itself is not focused entirely on the business, which it should be if it's going to be part of the business domain (mysisterwifescloset.com). By letting the blog focus on non-business things, they're diluting their focus and making it harder for the search engines to include their site in relevant search results. Just look at the tags on that blog: "suicide", "suicide prevention", "kody brown family", "dayton brown", and "keep going". Those are all tags that really have nothing to do with anything for sale on the site or the site itself. In addition to that, I would have to think seriously about whether associating the business to "suicide" and "suicide prevention" is something that would benefit the business and how, precisely, it benefits the business. It would be different if the blog was talking about how they're helping to raise awareness.

On the whole, though, I give them credit for taking the time to fix the things I'd previously complained about on their site. I'm not sure if they read what I wrote (finally; yes, directly on their old site) or just wanted an overhaul. Either way, the layout is better and they're making better use of their available space. They still have "Welcome to..." on their site, but since it's in a slideshow, then it's not that bad.

• Love 2
On 10/30/2017 at 6:38 PM, Kohola3 said:

Perhaps Wings is thinking of the televangelists and the Christian Right who love to tell the world what to do based on the Bible but completely ignore any parts of it that they don't like.  They seem to find their way around "do unto others" and "love your neighbor as yourself" quite handily.

Yes, you got it.  And we have one as our vice president!  

• Love 5
On 10/31/2017 at 10:46 AM, TurtlePower said:

I red that and immediately went "Oh, I want a cat phrase necklace!" Like maybe Catitude or Clawsome! I still wouldn't want to support MSWC especially at $187. I could buy so many gorgeous pieces of antique/vintage jewelry for $187. I would own a Victorian Sash Pin with a Sea Serpent with Ruby eyes and a Peridot in its mouth plus a couple of other nice pieces if I had $187 to spend on jewelry!

• Love 3
On 10/31/2017 at 9:46 AM, TurtlePower said:

Yep, still going. And to be honest, there's a necklace in the sterling collection I like (it's a pixie, I love pixies), but am not going to pay $187 for. 

You have a good eye, the pixie necklace is the cutest thing in the collection (made me look). OTOH, their bells jewelry looks like a low rent rip off of James Avery stuff. I have a girlfriend who shills that legging stuff (lularoe? Whatever) and I just can’t because of this show. 

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 1

During the first season, they showed a few clips that were filmed before Meri started cutting her hair into that shaggy, fried mess. She had long hair and it looked ok. Simple and very plygy. It looks weird now because the top is still that shaggy fried mess and the bottom is smooth extensions. She should have used the money to fix the hair she has instead of adding to it.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2017 at 0:20 PM, ginger90 said:

Still living her why. Now, with hair extensions....... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFOocrDFLu/

I used to wear extensions all the time so I know how to do 'em--they'd look fine if she'd place them better and have them shortened a bit. I think she looks better with long hair, it just needs some tweaking. Large, loose curls would look better. She could use the extensions while her own hair grows out--that's what I did when went to a different stylist and she chopped my long signature locks (made me cry) and it took a while for it to grow back out. 

Don't hate me. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Based on the hashtag I'm guessing that was one of the other "Splendor Vendors" at her event on Saturday.  A hair extension MLM.  

Did anyone here actually go?  She hasn't posted ANY photos other than that one on her FB group as yet.

I couldn't go.  I work on Saturdays.  But I went to another craft fair a couple of weeks ago and a lady was selling LLR.  I didn't see any takers.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, toodles said:

But I went to another craft fair a couple of weeks ago and a lady was selling LLR.  I didn't see any takers.

I have a feeling my DIL is going to be stuck with a lot of LLR. Gosh knows I tried to warn her about it being a pyramid scheme after reading these boards.... I remember @MrSmith warning us all about it.

Edited by ChiCricket
'Cuz I wanted to :)
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I have a feeling my DIL is going to be stuck with a lot of LLR. Gosh knows I tried to warn her about it being a pyramid scheme after reading these boards.... I remember @MrSmith warning us all about it.

It's sad and amazing to me that people know so little about these types of "businesses", in spite of the wealth of information available about how all they're all scams. I'm sorry to hear that your DIL got involved with LLR. My SIL (my wife's husband's wife) got involved with Mary Kay, in spite of my attempts to warn her off. I haven't heard much about how that's going for her, which doesn't surprise me.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

My SIL (my wife's husband's wife) got involved with Mary Kay, in spite of my attempts to warn her off. 

So, is that why you're on the sister wife's (wive's?) boards? Because your wife has a wife? (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you) ;-)

Edited by ChiCricket
Felt like it.
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

So, is that why you're on the sister wife's (wive's?) boards? Because your wife has a wife? (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you) ;-)

LOL. Yikes! Good catch, though! That was supposed to be wife's brother's wife. Color me red-faced!

8 hours ago, CofCinci said:

She looks like a Jim Henson creation from Labyrinth. 

No. Just no. Please stop. Yak lives matter. 

Thank you! I was finally able to figure out what character she reminded me of! (For those of you keeping score at home, this would be Ma Gorg from Fraggle Rock.)

MaGorg.jpg

• Love 4

You guys are a tough crowd! The main issue I see is that she may not be able to pull this off as her own hair does not appear thick enough to place and blend the extensions with her own hair--and they're way too long. Typical extension virgin mistakes. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

You guys are a tough crowd! The main issue I see is that she may not be able to pull this off as her own hair does not appear thick enough to place and blend the extensions with her own hair--and they're way too long. Typical extension virgin mistakes. 

I really think she had the vendor put them in while doing the show (because those things have A LOT of downtime) and she did it just for fun and posted a picture.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, gunderda said:

I really think she had the vendor put them in while doing the show (because those things have A LOT of downtime) and she did it just for fun and posted a picture.  

The vendor could have tried a little harder. Thing is, the color was a good match. And she looks better with longer hair, I wish she'd lose the shaggy dog cut. 

• Love 3
On 10/28/2017 at 7:05 AM, TurtlePower said:

And, long legs? Suppose that would depend on what her inseam is.

Problem with this dress is it looks like she may need a larger size—her midsection is keeping the dress from being longer by pushing the material outwards. 

It would be cute minus the yellow under and the Amy Farrah Fowler-like shoes. 

I think it would look much better if she paired the ONE dress with a pair of tights.  Honestly I hate the look all together and not sure tights would help but it would certainly look better than putting another dress underneath it.  

On 10/28/2017 at 8:43 AM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I count three inspirational plaques in that single picture alone, for crying out loud. Does she by those stupid things by the crate?  I see she's styled the background junk decor to match her dress(es) all warm golds and blues.  At least she's trying harder, I guess. No ugly kinked up cord running across the wall to that outlet this time.  But gah, the dried flower arrangement on the wall. Does anyone have a match handy? 

Did she use some kind of gold filter, too? Her walls don't look like their usual blinding stark white. 

As I think about what is in my house, I DO have one plaque with a saying.  Its a cute one that my sister got me years ago (Xmas stocking thing) that is a surly looking little girl saying she wishes you would just shut up.  This is how we roll.

Think of all the money these grifters would have if they would just stay out of Hobby Lobby?  

• Love 2
On 10/28/2017 at 2:43 PM, AZChristian said:

Meri is 46.  She looks like she's going for a young, chic look.  She failed on both counts.  

I would like to see her try and button that vest.

On 10/31/2017 at 7:46 AM, TurtlePower said:

I am thinking after wearing the $15.99 necklaces my neck would BE green.

• Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 6:52 AM, AZChristian said:

Or her eyebrows.  Or skin dermabrasion.  Fix something permanent - don't rent hair.

IF you are gonna rent hair, pay the BIG bucks.  That is the only way it can sorta pass for real hair.  She looks terrible.  She needs a good fashionable friend to walk her back from wherever she is headed.  23 MY ASS!  Someone wants to be acknowledged by a semi famous person.

• Love 4

Last weekend my husband and I went to a fall festival that had vendor booths and sure enough someone was selling LLR. They had stacks and stacks of the leggings. I must admit they were sooo soft I caught myself thinking about how comfortable they would be. For a brief moment I seriously considered buying a pair to wear when relaxing at home. Fortunately I remembered all the complaints about the quality. Plus, as I looked through the stacks I realized that the patterns were all so ugly I couldn't wear them even in the privacy of my own home. 

I did feel bad for the seller at the booth. She clearly had a major investment in product and didn't seem to be making a lot of sales. 

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Last weekend my husband and I went to a fall festival that had vendor booths and sure enough someone was selling LLR. They had stacks and stacks of the leggings. I must admit they were sooo soft I caught myself thinking about how comfortable they would be. For a brief moment I seriously considered buying a pair to wear when relaxing at home. Fortunately I remembered all the complaints about the quality. Plus, as I looked through the stacks I realized that the patterns were all so ugly I couldn't wear them even in the privacy of my own home. 

I did feel bad for the seller at the booth. She clearly had a major investment in product and didn't seem to be making a lot of sales. 

If you really like the softness of the leggings you can go on Amazon and search "butter leggings" and find some. They have solid color ones and not all the crazy prints. I have been seeing more and more butter leggings in retail stores lately as well.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

IF you are gonna rent hair, pay the BIG bucks.  That is the only way it can sorta pass for real hair.  She looks terrible.  She needs a good fashionable friend to walk her back from wherever she is headed.  23 MY ASS!  Someone wants to be acknowledged by a semi famous person.

That's the only reason some of these people have followers. Fans think if they lay the compliments on real heavy, they'll be acknowledged. It's a mutually beneficial relationship, semi-famous people feel better about themselves and fans feel better about themselves.

And it depends with the hair, cost isn't always an indicator of quality. I only spent $250 on my human hair extensions and they looked very natural, but I also knew how to blend and style them in with my own hair. Doesn't look like anyone tried too hard in that picture of Meri. I agree that she needs help fashion-wise, she's never been savvy in that regard. From those strappy tanks over long sleeves in the beginning to too-tight jeans, LLR and chopping her hair into a shaggy mess, it'd be nice to see her "get it" one day. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

If you really like the softness of the leggings you can go on Amazon and search "butter leggings" and find some. They have solid color ones and not all the crazy prints. I have been seeing more and more butter leggings in retail stores lately as well.

I'm seeing them everywhere, too.  JoAnn Fabric has them.  I personally have some from Costco, and butter-soft or not, they fit well and aren't a hideous print.

• Love 1
On November 6, 2017 at 6:41 PM, ChiCricket said:

Yeah..no.

Screenshot_20171106-173943.jpg

This. looks. terrible. So fake. It highlights her thinning hair on top. You can see where her real hair ends and the synthetic stuff begins. She has such cheap taste. They all do. Bumpkins, the whole lot of them. I would never buy anything they sell.

• Love 5
On November 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Natalie68 said:

She doesn't have any fashionable friends. She's surrounded by the same low-rent crowd as she is, or her look would have evolved and it really hasn't. To bring Meri up to chic, she needs to pay the big bucks and hire a real stylist, not amatuers. But then the stylist would open her eyes to the garbage that is lula, the garbage they sell on their horrible website, the garbage she hangs on her walls. Meri is like millions of regular, average people in regard to taste, I don't hold her horrible taste against her, but she shouldn't go on tv and social media to try to pitch to me her look. If she does, I will ridicule. Her taste is in her ass.

• Love 7

I have discovered that people who have bad taste, don't realize it.  And if you tell them...they don't get it.  It's unfortunate.  I think it's something that you are born with like eye color.  Or, perhaps, you can get a little good taste by osmosis, if you are around a person who who has good taste, during your formative years.  If not, you're screwed. lol  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have discovered that people who have bad taste, don't realize it.  And if you tell them...they don't get it.  It's unfortunate.  I think it's something that you are born with like eye color.  Or, perhaps, you can get a little good taste by osmosis, if you are around a person who who has good taste, during your formative years.  If not, you're screwed. lol  

I think a week with Stacy and Clinton would do wonders!  I really miss their show.  It really helped me when going shopping and get out of my comfort bubble.  I would like them to bring it back!

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I think a week with Stacy and Clinton would do wonders!  I really miss their show.  It really helped me when going shopping and get out of my comfort bubble.  I would like them to bring it back!

We loved that show too. "Color, pattern, texture, shine". "It doesn't have to match - it just has to go". " dress for the body you have, not the one you want". Great show. I follow Clinton on twitter and he posted that Stacy blocked him. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

*Sigh*, every time somebody posts a picture of Meri or any of the wives I think about "What not to Wear"!  I was a big fan of that show too and really miss it.  I think they were doing a real service for people that don't have a clue but think they do (like Meri, etc.).

2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I follow Clinton on twitter and he posted that Stacy blocked him. 

I had a feeling they weren't talking to each other.  They never appear together nor mention each other online.  That's sad!  I've seen both of them on the Rachael Ray show several times but never together.  And somehow Stacy seems a little more eccentric than she used to be, but that's just my impression.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

I liked that show too.

I stopped  my daughter from getting involved with a MLM.  I was a little nervous because she had hosted several MLM parties and it seemed to be going around in her circle of friends.  One day when she announced she was going to start selling through an MLM, I really lobbied hard for her to stay away from it.  My strongest argument was that she could make more money putting in extra time in her primary career.  And thanks to what I learned here, I had some links to send to her pointing out the problems with MLM.  I was so glad when I learned that she decided to forgo the MLM "opportunity."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Does she get a discount if Janelle is her coach?

LOL, all the hate between those two will burn more calories in an anger workout ;)

Seriously, if dear Meri is paying for a trainer, the fam must not be hurting for money.  Oh wait, this is the Grifter McBrown bunch.  Anything to avoid working a "real" job.  Those are for the lowly monogamous people.

• Love 3