Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Whitney Live #NoBS

• Start Topic

So I haven't finished watching, but saw the preview for next week. Lenny, who she's been seeing for a few weeks asks her if she wants to have children. She takes this completely as serious as a heart attack (no pun intended), goes to the OB/GYN-kanobie, both parents along to see if she can get pregnant. What the everloving fuckery is this? It's one thing to wonder if you will get pregnant one day with PCOS. But I'm guessing her weight will be more of an issue with pregnancy at this point than PCOS is. But to rush to go check (via ultrasound, no less) after your date mentions it, with both your parents, I'm....speechless. She can't even clean her damn room. How is she going to manage a baby? And that's not even the weird part of this.

• Love 11

I hate to say it. Whitney looked 4xs as big beside that host. Sorry.
10 bucks she brings mom to business meetings to pay.
No Whit. Watching you spray yourself, NOT sexy. Just don’t.
Does she really believe her hype that she is a role model?
I didn’t know she had a brother.  The way she acts it’s like she is an only child.
I honestly can say I didn’t like the dance.
In the end, she really needs to lose the weight. Not for her looks but for her health and for her body’s health. I understand what she wants to say but there is overweight, then there is grossly obese. She isn’t overweight. She is obese. And I would hedge to say class 2 or even 3.  It’s not funny anymore. Just really sad.
I missed the commercial for next week’s episode to snark on it. I was mostly on the train that the hook up will never happen. The way they were holding hands during the intermissions of the show, it looks like Lennie finally put out.

• Love 1

I understand what she wants to say but there is overweight, then there is grossly obese. She isn’t overweight. She is obese. And I would hedge to say class 2 or even 3.  It’s not funny anymore. Just really sad.

Oh, she left class 3 obesity in the dust years ago I bet. Class 3 is a BMI over 40, and Whitney's BMI is almost certainly in the 60s. She is at the top of her class, LOL.

I have a lot to say about Whitney and infertility but I'm taking it to the Whitney thread :)

• Love 1

I thought the whole show was unwatchable..I fast forwarded through all of the live junk. Buddy is now obese too, and when did he get all of those tattoos? Whitney gets an award for jiggling her fat around? She really does think she is hot, doesn't she? When they had their out door cook out, it disturbed me to watch Whitney eat..it does when I watch any of the super obese do so. Couldn't understand why until just recently, and I think it is because they always look like they are having sex with the food instead of just eating it. I think stuffing their faces actually gives them an orgasm, as most of them have that same weird look on their faces. I am done with this show..I don't like to watch someone slowly commit  suicide with food.

• Love 2

Well I actually enjoyed this episode.  I think the No Body Shame campaign is a wonderful idea and it appears it's in coalition with Dove who also does a good representation of loving your body no matter what.  Yeah being healthy is the main goal but not hating yourself because you think you're too fat or whatever the case may be is a good start to healthy living. 

Buddy is now obese too, and when did he get all of those tattoos?

Buddy has always been that size.  See I don't really see that as obese--just kinda chunky.  IDK, I'm from the south so our version of slim and overweight might be different =)  The tattoos, he's always had those--I'm more interested in hearing more about his stand up comedy.  That kinda came out of left field for me. 

When they had their out door cook out, it disturbed me to watch Whitney eat..it does when I watch any of the super obese do so. Couldn't understand why until just recently, and I think it is because they always look like they are having sex with the food instead of just eating it. I think stuffing their faces actually gives them an orgasm, as most of them have that same weird look on their faces. I am done with this show..I don't like to watch someone slowly commit  suicide with food.

Wow that's kinda harsh.  We don't know what kinda meat that was--could've been a vegan burger, cudda been a low fat meat, it could have been her first burger in months; we just don't know the circumstances surrounding that food.  From what I saw it was just a one patty burger, don't know about the condiments so enh it didn't bother me at all.

• Love 13

Wow that's kinda harsh.  We don't know what kinda meat that was--could've been a vegan burger, cudda been a low fat meat, it could have been her first burger in months; we just don't know the circumstances surrounding that food.  From what I saw it was just a one patty burger, don't know about the condiments so enh it didn't bother me at all.

I'd just like to second this, I've worked with adolescents with eating disorders. There were many circumstances where girls who "looked" overweight or even obese were actually starving themselves or purging. When you've got 200+ pounds to lose, it's going to take a long time- even starving and not eating ever (which is not the proper way to do it) before you are going to "look" skinny. 

It is really hard to lose weight the safe and healthy way until you are in the proper head space, from what I've seen on this show I don't think Whitney has had that real "aha" moment. I mean we've seen her cry and get scared but there is something that has to click for it all to come together and stay safe, and consistent when it comes to healthy weight loss. 

• Love 9

it disturbed me to watch Whitney eat..it does when I watch any of the super obese do so. Couldn't understand why until just recently, and I think it is because they always look like they are having sex with the food instead of just eating it.

I know what you mean. When I watch My 600-lb Life and such, it is disturbing to watch them eat. It's like watching an addict shooting up heroin. It's less eating and more...FEEDING. Just satisfying an addiction.

• Love 5

I have backed out of watching this show, but this morning I got an indignant email from a friend and fellow dancer who saw the parts of the two hour "special" involving Whitney's rehearsals and performance at The National Museum of Dance (which neither of us had ever heard of before.) Some excerpts, with her permission:

"Arabesque?! She thinks poking one leg out behind her, a couple of inches off the floor is an arabesque?! Yes, a genuine Arabesque is very difficult. Yes, an audience of actual dancers can recognize the difficulty of the move. Yes, Whitney balancing all her weight on one foot is also probably very difficult. No, that doesn't make what she was doing anything close to an Arabesque, and I'm a little shocked her dance instructor was willing to play along with her pretending that it was."

"Whitney has a "signature roll"? What does that even mean for her? How many performances has she done for live audiences in the past, where she executed some kind of body roll well enough for it to become associated with her performances forever more?"

"I have never heard of the National Museum of Dance. Googling, I see it is located in Saratoga Springs, NY, where the New York City Ballet has offered a summer season for the tourists for years. It looks like the vanity project of some offshoot of the Vanderbilt family. The website doesn't say anything about "Paragon" awards."

"Hey, my kid brother had a beautiful tenor voice as a boy. He sang in our church choir, in a national children's choir and even did some recording. He loved to sing. Then puberty hit. His voice changed, and as sometimes sadly happens, his ability to sing sort of disintegrated. Frog-like would be putting it kindly these days. He was devastated, but with the support of his family and teachers, he transferred his love of music from singing to clarinet and became a more than competent instrumentalist."

"If he decided now that singing was too much a part of him to give up, just because of physical changes, would anyone be out there applauding his resolve? Giving him "awards" for being an "inspiration'? Attending concerts and downloading videos to bask in his off-key croaking? I sincerely doubt it. If you want to be a professional singer, you need certain physical capacities and the same is true for dance.  Why does this woman get to make a mockery of the very real technical demands that professional dance requires of the body? I think it's fine she wants to exercise to music. But calling what she did on that stage "dance" and calling herself a professional dancer is just wrong, imo."

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 8
But calling what she did on that stage "dance" and calling herself a professional dancer is just wrong, imo."

I completely agree.  I've seen larger dancers (and been one, 20+ years ago) who have technique, and grace, and talent.  They put the time in and do the work.  Whitney is not that girl.  I have yet to see a video of her at any size that shows any real dance skill or talent.  I've also seen nothing to suggest that she spends any real time dancing.  A professional dancer (whether classical ballet, hip hop, modern, ballroom, or even street dancers) spend a grueling amount of time, you know, dancing.  A few hours a week doing heavily watered down Zumba does not a professional make.  Have we ever seen Whitney take a class?  I'd bet she'd have a hard time getting through one even if she made the effort.

A year or two ago I watched the series "Big Ballet"- a Britsh documentary about a performance of Swan Lake featuring entirely plus size women.  Some who auditioned were even cut for not being big enough.  I wanted so much for it to be good, and the choreographer seemed really interested in developing choreography and lines that suited the larger bodies.  I was really bummed to see the outcome, as I think it failed pretty miserably.  As Ketzel's friend pointed out in the post above, classical ballet is a tough sell for big bodies.  The movements have standards that developed over hundreds of years on thin, long, lithe bodies, and translating that to those of us resembling balls more than sticks is tough.  Even if we can physically perform the movement correctly, the lines just aren't there.  I think a contemporary/modern style would be more suited because you see different types of movement, including those intended to be awkward.  I find the idea of choreographing for different shaped bodies intriguing, I just haven't seen it done well yet.  

I consider myself a former dancer.  I still take classes on occasion.  I can make it through yoga, and barre, and Zumba.  But even if I taught the occasional class, I wouldn't dream of calling myself a professional.  I find it insulting that Whitney does, not for her size but for her lack of commitment and talent for her supposedly chosen profession.  I just think there's a huge leap from saying dancing occasionally makes me happy to calling oneself a professional dancer.  And it goes back to that special snowflake syndrome I find so endemic with people like Whitney (big or small)- this need to be applauded for doing something (no matter how poorly) because you're the underdog, or you "wanted it", or because society says you shouldn't.  If singing in my car makes me happy, then I should sing.  But I should also expect to get roundly trounced should I take my three-note vocal range to an American Idol audition.  

Should Whitney try out for So You Think You Can Dance, she'd be put through to Vegas, because the judges on that show love to pat themselves on the back for supporting the underdog (as long as you're not a guy who's too "feminine", but that's another rant).  But the reality is that she simply isn't capable of doing the dances at the level the show requires.  I'd be interested in a version of this show where she genuinely tries to develop herself as a dancer at her current size and works hard towards that goal, but hey, that's not Whitney.  She simply doesn't have the commitment. Or even show her starting a studio dedicated for classes for all ages and body sizes- making a business of it.  It's much easier for her to spend a few hours in a borrowed studio doing a sad "Single Ladies" impersonation and becoming a personality rather than a professional or a dance.

• Love 8

^^This is TLC and they would prefer to make her a joke.  And that she doesn't realize that she is the joke.  Or she simply wants attention so bad she doesn't really care.  Her behavior is unlikely to change attitudes anyone has towards big people, because she behaves so stereotypically

• Love 3

I have backed out of watching this show, but this morning I got an indignant email from a friend and fellow dancer who saw the parts of the two hour "special" involving Whitney's rehearsals and performance at The National Museum of Dance (which neither of us had ever heard of before.) Some excerpts, with her permission:

"Arabesque?! She thinks poking one leg out behind her, a couple of inches off the floor is an arabesque?! Yes, a genuine Arabesque is very difficult. Yes, an audience of actual dancers can recognize the difficulty of the move. Yes, Whitney balancing all her weight on one foot is also probably very difficult. No, that doesn't make what she was doing anything close to an Arabesque, and I'm a little shocked her dance instructor was willing to play along with her pretending that it was."

"Whitney has a "signature roll"? What does that even mean for her? How many performances has she done for live audiences in the past, where she executed some kind of body roll well enough for it to become associated with her performances forever more?"

"I have never heard of the National Museum of Dance. Googling, I see it is located in Saratoga Springs, NY, where the New York City Ballet has offered a summer season for the tourists for years. It looks like the vanity project of some offshoot of the Vanderbilt family. The website doesn't say anything about "Paragon" awards."

"Hey, my kid brother had a beautiful tenor voice as a boy. He sang in our church choir, in a national children's choir and even did some recording. He loved to sing. Then puberty hit. His voice changed, and as sometimes sadly happens, his ability to sing sort of disintegrated. Frog-like would be putting it kindly these days. He was devastated, but with the support of his family and teachers, he transferred his love of music from singing to clarinet and became a more than competent instrumentalist."

"If he decided now that singing was too much a part of him to give up, just because of physical changes, would anyone be out there applauding his resolve? Giving him "awards" for being an "inspiration'? Attending concerts and downloading videos to bask in his off-key croaking? I sincerely doubt it. If you want to be a professional singer, you need certain physical capacities and the same is true for dance. Why does this woman get to make a mockery of the very real technical demands that professional dance requires of the body? I think it's fine she wants to exercise to music. But calling what she did on that stage "dance" and calling herself a professional dancer is just wrong, imo."

I had a similar rant on the Whitney page a few months ago. My issue wasn't so much her size but when they show clips of even when she was small (they showed my least favorite one several times tonight) her technique was just not good. It drives me crazy that she always refers to herself as a dancer, there is no way she spent a considerable amount of time in a dance studio and her fan kick is below her waist and her toes are sickled.

If she just enjoys dance, that is perfectly fine. To me it sounds more like she took a couple dance classes, she also says she played soccer, but that doesn't make her a soccer player.

Also, that tattoo, both designs were really ugly. I hate to say it, normally I would just say "not my taste" but no, they were bad.

• Love 2

I'm in no way a dancer so I can't really comment on her dance techniques but it sounds like you guys know what you're talking about so if I had to guess I would say TLC fabricated this I am/used to be a dancer story line to make her sound more interesting.  Meaning it ties in with her no body shame campaign and shows the general public, who doesn't know a lot about dancing, that see even big gals can do it too.  Plus the dancing video is what started her celebrity status to begin with so I guess the exec. at TLC figured why not run with it.  Her "thing" is that she is a big gal who can still move her body in a dance like fashion *shrug* so IDK I guess if I was a dancer her claim to the art form would bug the piss out of me too.  Similar to how Lenny claims to be a painter (who got a damn degree from a reputable school) and then produces that God awful painting!  Blarf

• Love 1

I'm in no way a dancer so I can't really comment on her dance techniques but it sounds like you guys know what you're talking about so if I had to guess I would say TLC fabricated this I am/used to be a dancer story line to make her sound more interesting.  Meaning it ties in with her no body shame campaign and shows the general public, who doesn't know a lot about dancing, that see even big gals can do it too.  Plus the dancing video is what started her celebrity status to begin with so I guess the exec. at TLC figured why not run with it.  Her "thing" is that she is a big gal who can still move her body in a dance like fashion *shrug* so IDK I guess if I was a dancer her claim to the art form would bug the piss out of me too.  Similar to how Lenny claims to be a painter (who got a damn degree from a reputable school) and then produces that God awful painting!  Blarf

Maybe this is the first time its been brought to a TV audience, but big girls have been cutting the dance floor for years.  About 8-10 years ago I was brought to "Club Bounce" which was basically a dance club for big girls and the men who admire them.  I'm not a big girl (and I certainly wasn't at the time) but the girls there ranged from slightly smaller than Whitney, to as big as Whitney, and quite a few were bigger.  I wouldn't have called any of these girls dancers, but they were dancing, and doing all the dances of the day that I didn't know how to do.  Those girls were straight up freaky deaky!  And I thought it was pretty neat.  I realize that many in society aren't attracted to girls that big, but this was a club pretty much for big girls, and so all the men that were there paid them attention and wanted to dance with them and date them.  And the girls wore all the skanky club gear that their much skinnier sisters wear to the club.  With her passion for dance and acceptance I think opening a club like that might have been a cool way to get her message across.

And funny story -- I was with a few of my friends in the parlor area of the restroom and one of my friends was like "man, we should go to Roscoe's after this" and right on cue about 10 other girls were like "Roscoe's!" and I was "girl, we better leave now!  its gonna get packed!"  I just thought it was funny, because in a typical LA club those girls are not trying to eat fried chicken and waffles....

• Love 3

I just can't with this show anymore. It pains me to sit through an hour of her each week and 2 hours was 2 hours too many. Why must everything be so. damn. dramatic? Everything she does is about her making a statement. And ending in tears. With all her friends and family around her. And this is with every damn thing she does. Does she do the same to her friends? Everything is her big moment and has Buddy, Lennie, her calm girlfriend whose name escapes me, Tal, Todd. Never 1 person less. And her parents lovingly watching her every move like she's a toddler walking for the first time. She's just so self involved. And I could kind of see why with all those tweets going across about her being SUCH an inspiration. And I say this as a chubby woman myself. It's too much.

I'll just echo what everyone else was saying about her dancing. She barely moved. Her classes are just Zumba basically. But to think all her family and friends flew there to watch her flair her arms around is ridic. I feel like when you see those couples who think their kid is a special snowflake and no one else sees it is happening here. But now Whitney has fans and a TV show to justify being a special snowflake.

I thought the whole show was unwatchable..I fast forwarded through all of the live junk. Buddy is now obese too, and when did he get all of those tattoos? Whitney gets an award for jiggling her fat around? She really does think she is hot, doesn't she? When they had their out door cook out, it disturbed me to watch Whitney eat..it does when I watch any of the super obese do so. Couldn't understand why until just recently, and I think it is because they always look like they are having sex with the food instead of just eating it. I think stuffing their faces actually gives them an orgasm, as most of them have that same weird look on their faces. I am done with this show..I don't like to watch someone slowly commit  suicide with food.

Although, I do think that's a little harsh.

• Love 1

I think Whitney is awesome. Love her spirit.

Every single person has issues. Some people are thin and healthy, but are judgmental assholes. Whitney has overcome that. She knows what she has to work on -- and she's doing the best SHE can.

Give me a Whitney -- ANY DAY -- over some bitch who feels the need to tell other people that they're not good enough for aesthetic reasons.

People will say, "BUT HEALTH!"

Nah, not buying that. We live in a panopticon of criticism these days -- and folks are constantly projecting. These days, we get rewarded for being mean. Which is easy to fall in to.

Whitney is awesome. Love her.

• Love 9

Did not like the live format and fast forwarded through those segments.

How was Buddy's comedy? I thought there was a chance of it being cringe-worthy, so I just fast forwarded. I hope it went well as I like him.

Whitney does not seem to have lost any weight which is disappointing as I'm rooting for her. No body shame is great but it's not healthy to be that size. I say this as someone who needs to lose about 75, so I'm not being judgey. I wish there was a big girls dance class near me. I think if i had danced growing up (or even danced ever) i might consider going to a class despite the extra weight. I have tried but don't like Zumba so maybe that's a sign to not go.

Do you think this show gets a big audience in Greensboro?

Edited by Pepperminty
  • Love 2

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this episode yet.  The thought of fast forwarding through the live parts is putting me off.  I'll eventually do it but I'm just in no especial rush, and judging from the comments here I'm probably better off waiting until my tolerance level goes up a bit.  I just get the impression it's going to be everything about Whitney that I'm tired of and don't care about seeing.  Especially the tattoo, now that I know it's in bad taste.

The fact that she's not appearing to lose any weight is disconcerting too, and they haven't addressed it in a few weeks so now I'm left wondering why, like maybe she's just having too much trouble with it and they'd rather focus on this No BS stuff.  I'd rather see her succeed at losing weight or at least put in a major effort.  Them leaving it out altogether is making me suspicious that she has just given up.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

"Signature roll" is basically a backwards somersault that ends in her kneeling /posing her arms.  They showed her doing it as a middle-schooler, but at her current weight/size, she sits, rolls backwards and can't propel herself all the way over, so she flops on her side.  (Think putting a 5-6 month-old baby in a sitting position, and watching him roll down after a minute or two.) The substitute pose suggested by the dance teacher/choreographer was an arabesque, which for real dancers means leaning forward while extending one leg up and back, but for Whitney means lifting one leg about 2 inches off the floor for about 2 seconds.

The two tattoo choices were equally hideous.  And count me as one who never before noticed Buddy's many tattoos!

I'll admit I don't pay close attention when this show is on, so I didn't realize that her "invitation to the dance museum" was yet another vanity project where it was all about giving her an award for whatever, combined with her "performance", and then .  .  . nothing.  This was actually the first time we have been treated to a dance performance in its entirety, and it lasted - 60 seconds?  WTF?  And if your legs and feet are aching from practicing/performing a one-minute routine?  Honey, your life ain't fabulous and you need to get healthy.  I say with love :)

• Love 2

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this episode yet.  The thought of fast forwarding through the live parts is putting me off.  I'll eventually do it but I'm just in no especial rush, and judging from the comments here I'm probably better off waiting until my tolerance level goes up a bit.  I just get the impression it's going to be everything about Whitney that I'm tired of and don't care about seeing.  Especially the tattoo, now that I know it's in bad taste.

I have the episode sitting on my DVR and I haven't decided if I'm going to watch it yet.  This show has become so painful for me to watch, that I come here to read the comments first to decide it I want to watch it....and this is coming from a person who saves all episodes of my 600lb Life and rewatches them regularly (as motivation!), but with this show, I just can't.  I think its the disingenuousness of it all...the situations that she's in, he over-involved parents, her over concerned friends, even the posts to her facebook page...all BS (pun intended) in my opinion.  

They way you all are describing this week's episode reminds me of my son's holiday performance at his school several years ago. The powers that be at the school decided that it would be a great idea to let the 5th graders play a holiday song using a recorder (those cheap plastic flute things).  I don't know about you, but I have never heard anyone, even skilled mucians,  play a recorder and NOT have it sound like a squeaky mess...well imagine the sound of 40 10 year olds attempting to play jingle bells on the recorder !?!  But of course, the crowd erupted in cheers--and I whispered to my sister "they just are happy that it's over!"  But that's what's going on with this show.  Whitney is a 31 year old hot mess and no one's calling her on it.  It pisses me off. (by the way, the school hasn't made anyone play the recorder for the holiday show since, THANK GOD!)

For the tatoo.....I think this is the real reason why I haven't watched it.  I am actually disapointed that she was getting a tatoo.  I do not mean any offence to the tatoo lovers out there, but I feel like it was such a "common bitch" thing for her to do.  Getting a tatoo used to be such a bad ass thing to do, but now in 2015, I think it's more corageous *not* to have a tatoo...but again, my opinion and if you love tats - go for it.  Plus, didn't see the sexual undertones in that tatoo until someone pointed that out (really, a fist?? LOL).

• Love 4

It's on her shoulder. Not her privates.

Oh, I know that, I meant the tattoo itself, which now that I've seen (thanks to the photo posted above) I agree is just, well, bad.  I have issues with tattoos in general, but if it was a nice one I wouldn't have a problem with it.  I'm not loving seeing Buddy so heavily tattooed, though.  One here or there is fine with me but I'm not on board with this trend to tatt oneself up all over.  I'm with that poet who said, "less is more".

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Enh I like the tattoo.  It has vibrant colors and everything looks atomically correct to me (meaning the fingers aren't too large for the hand and the wrist isn't to wide or slender for the arm, etc., etc.)  Honestly I love tattoos so her getting one and Buddy's tats are a-ok by me but I guess that's just pure opinion.

I found this quote from Babs to be the unintentionally meta statement of the night: "Hhwhitney...has *always* been applauded." [Extra h's intentional to illustrate Babs' honeyed Southern pronunciation of her darling daughter's name] And that, friends, is how you produce a Special Snowflake.

The powers that be at the school decided that it would be a great idea to let the 5th graders play a holiday song using a recorder (those cheap plastic flute things). I don't know about you, but I have never heard anyone, even skilled mucians, play a recorder and NOT have it sound like a squeaky mess...

Hey now, gotta stand up for the recorder here! I agree, those plastic ones can be dicey even in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. But *real* recorders, wooden ones, in the hands of capable musicians, have lovely tones, from the chirpy spirit of the sopranino to the sweet tones of the soprano on down to the hollow, melancholy timbre of the bass. I played in an early music consort in college, and was amazed what a difference good instruments can make. I get the *idea* of school recorder programs (early exposure to instrumental music, with very little cash outlay), but yeah. Those kiddie recorder ensembles are headache-inducing :) Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3

I have the episode sitting on my DVR and I haven't decided if I'm going to watch it yet.  This show has become so painful for me to watch, that I come here to read the comments first to decide it I want to watch it....and this is coming from a person who saves all episodes of my 600lb Life and rewatches them regularly (as motivation!), but with this show, I just can't.  I think its the disingenuousness of it all...the situations that she's in, he over-involved parents, her over concerned friends, even the posts to her facebook page...all BS (pun intended) in my opinion.  

They way you all are describing this week's episode reminds me of my son's holiday performance at his school several years ago. The powers that be at the school decided that it would be a great idea to let the 5th graders play a holiday song using a recorder (those cheap plastic flute things).  I don't know about you, but I have never heard anyone, even skilled mucians,  play a recorder and NOT have it sound like a squeaky mess...well imagine the sound of 40 10 year olds attempting to play jingle bells on the recorder !?!  But of course, the crowd erupted in cheers--and I whispered to my sister "they just are happy that it's over!"  But that's what's going on with this show.  Whitney is a 31 year old hot mess and no one's calling her on it.  It pisses me off. (by the way, the school hasn't made anyone play the recorder for the holiday show since, THANK GOD!)

For the tatoo.....I think this is the real reason why I haven't watched it.  I am actually disapointed that she was getting a tatoo.  I do not mean any offence to the tatoo lovers out there, but I feel like it was such a "common bitch" thing for her to do.  Getting a tatoo used to be such a bad ass thing to do, but now in 2015, I think it's more corageous *not* to have a tatoo...but again, my opinion and if you love tats - go for it.  Plus, didn't see the sexual undertones in that tatoo until someone pointed that out (really, a fist?? LOL).

Yeah, I don't have a tattoo and I feel like such a rebel.  I was never really passionate about one, so I never got it.  Because I generally don't do things to please other people.  I've accepted and embraced my nerdity...even before being a nerd was cool.  And besides, I could never make such a long term decision....what if I got something and than hated it two weeks later?  I've had it happen with shoes before, but at least you can donate those.  And than there is the pain.

My hairstylist has a tattoo that says "Thick N' Sexy"  which I actually think is sort of a cool tattoo for a bigger gal.

Yeah, I don't have a tattoo and I feel like such a rebel.  I was never really passionate about one, so I never got it.  Because I generally don't do things to please other people.  I've accepted and embraced my nerdity...even before being a nerd was cool.  And besides, I could never make such a long term decision....what if I got something and than hated it two weeks later?  I've had it happen with shoes before, but at least you can donate those.  And than there is the pain.

My hairstylist has a tattoo that says "Thick N' Sexy"  which I actually think is sort of a cool tattoo for a bigger gal.

I had one and had it removed, and I totally feel like a badass. My sister practically disowned me when she found out. There wasn't anything wrong with it, I just got tired of it. So this is a very real possibility. I got lucky that it was small and the laser place cut me a deal, but if I was covered in huge, intricate tattoos, I'd be stuck with them, because it's just too much money to take them all off. 

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I assume Whitney screamed, squealed, snorted, and brayed her way through the pain? I seriously don't know how people can handle her in real life. She's just too much all the time.

• Love 2

I had one and had it removed, and I totally feel like a badass. My sister practically disowned me when she found out. There wasn't anything wrong with it, I just got tired of it. So this is a very real possibility. I got lucky that it was small and the laser place cut me a deal, but if I was covered in huge, intricate tattoos, I'd be stuck with them, because it's just too much money to take them all off. 

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I assume Whitney screamed, squealed, snorted, and brayed her way through the pain? I seriously don't know how people can handle her in real life. She's just too much all the time.

she looks positively exhausting....its just never ending with her

lol @ your sister disowning you....for removing the tattoo?  was it her name?

• Love 1

she looks positively exhausting....its just never ending with her

lol @ your sister disowning you....for removing the tattoo?  was it her name?

She thought I was judging her for having a bunch of tattoos. Because what I do with my body is somehow a reflection of how I view hers? She also thinks that because I live in California and not where she lives, that I'm judging her for where she lives, and because I am not fat, that I am judging her for being fat.

She's a tad sensitive.

I thought this was the finale since usually is a show is going to do a 2 hour live show it's the finale, not just a random show in the season.

It wasn't?!

• Love 1

She thought I was judging her for having a bunch of tattoos. Because what I do with my body is somehow a reflection of how I view hers? She also thinks that because I live in California and not where she lives, that I'm judging her for where she lives, and because I am not fat, that I am judging her for being fat.

She's a tad sensitive.

It wasn't?!

Nope, next week we go with her to the ob/gyn because Lenny mentioned children, so obviously she had to find out right away if she could.

She's a tad sensitive.

It wasn't?!

your life sounds an affront to your sisters very existence.  How dare you.

She's a tad sensitive.

It wasn't?!

She's a tad sensitive.

It wasn't?!

I actually managed to sit through half of this so far.  I had a delivery coming today and didn't know what to do with 40 minutes so I figured I'd waste it on this show.  Babs looked nervous to be on live TV.  Whitney actually looks like she's lost about 20 - 30 lbs. since the episode segments, which were filmed over the summer.  Of course, when you're as heavy as she is, 20 pounds looks like nothing.  Todd and Tal look like they could be brothers.  I wonder if they're a couple.  I'm jealous of Whitney for having two gay boyfriends.  I had one once and wish he was still around.

I haven't seen the tattoo segment yet.  I think tattoos have become trendy and overdone.  People used to get them for personal reasons, now everyone and anyone who wants to be "in" gets them and Whitney seems like someone who would get one just to be trendy and like everyone else.

• Love 4

I actually managed to sit through half of this so far.  I had a delivery coming today and didn't know what to do with 40 minutes so I figured I'd waste it on this show.  Babs looked nervous to be on live TV.  Whitney actually looks like she's lost about 20 - 30 lbs. since the episode segments, which were filmed over the summer.  Of course, when you're as heavy as she is, 20 pounds looks like nothing.  Todd and Tal look like they could be brothers.  I wonder if they're a couple.  I'm jealous of Whitney for having two gay boyfriends.  I had one once and wish he was still around.

I haven't seen the tattoo segment yet.  I think tattoos have become trendy and overdone.  People used to get them for personal reasons, now everyone and anyone who wants to be "in" gets them and Whitney seems like someone who would get one just to be trendy and like everyone else.

That's a pretty broad statement, and one not supported by fact or even anecdotal evidence. People have gotten tattoos for personal AND for dumb reasons since the first tattoo. "I was so drunk ... and when I sobered up, I had this tattoo of Tweety Bird on my ass!"

But I get the trendy argument, I do. Years (and years) ago I wanted one, and then it seemed like everybody and their grandmother was getting one, so I didn't want to do it. But eventually I did, because I realized everyone else doing it should have had no bearing on whether I did what I wanted.

There are a dozen reasons Whitney annoys me ... in fact, as I think about it, nearly everything about her annoys me - except this. Is there really a threshold on a good enough reason to get one? Even for basic bitches? People who like and want them, should get them.  People who don't, shouldn't.

• Love 3

That looks more like a radical feminist tattoo than something I'd associate with positive body image (unless Whitney plans to become some sort of scholar on intersectionality Kimberle Crenshaw-style...?).

Things might have made more sense if it was the depicted the hand of an obese person instead of a thin person.

• Love 3

Whitney rarely moves her feet when "dancing", nor has she ever mentioned any professional or ongoing training, so how does she consider herself a dancer? I call a BIG BS....not body shame, but bull shit. She is seriously delusional.

• Love 3

That's a pretty broad statement, and one not supported by fact or even anecdotal evidence. People have gotten tattoos for personal AND for dumb reasons since the first tattoo. "I was so drunk ... and when I sobered up, I had this tattoo of Tweety Bird on my ass!"

But I get the trendy argument, I do. Years (and years) ago I wanted one, and then it seemed like everybody and their grandmother was getting one, so I didn't want to do it. But eventually I did, because I realized everyone else doing it should have had no bearing on whether I did what I wanted.

There are a dozen reasons Whitney annoys me ... in fact, as I think about it, nearly everything about her annoys me - except this. Is there really a threshold on a good enough reason to get one? Even for basic bitches? People who like and want them, should get them.  People who don't, shouldn't.

Well, Snarkkitty, not to be a Snarklepuss or anything, but that's ummm.....like you're opeeenion, man.  LOL  My opinion is that anything done for more noble or personally meaningful reasons is more to be respected than just going out and doing something for kicks on a drunken whim, but by all means, feel free to disagree.  :)

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

Talented dancer or not, this show brings tears to my eyes every episode. People who are not television/movie beautiful/perfect hold back on their dreams because they don't feel good enough and Whitney delivers a valuable message that it's OK to have dreams and it's OK to step out of your comfort zone to reach for those dreams. There's nothing wrong with that.

I felt soooo bad for Buddy at the comedy club. He was brave to get up in front of that crowd and ON TELEVISION and totally bombed. In spite of his poor performance he didn't go run off camera and hide, he hung around and was very gracious about it.

And, that tattoo was, umm, just not good. Lenny is too quiet for television.

• Love 5

I guess I'd feel differently if we actually saw her working towards her goal of being a dancer and not just taking the famewhore/reality shortcut. I don't get the sense from this show that she spends more than a few hours a week in the studio, and what we have seen is either her leading her big girl class or working on her watered-down choreography. No training, no taking class, no stretching or technique work. Wouldn't it be a much more interesting show if we saw her taking classes, going to conventions, etc? Imagine the drama of exploring how she'd be received in that environment and whether she could keep up.

Or in the alternative, I'd be fine with celebrating the fact that she enjoys dancing and that it *is* groundbreaking to see someone her size moving and enjoying herself and encouraging others to do the same- if she didn't try to portray herself as a professional dancer. That's when it veers into special snowflake syndrome for me, because I see that as insulting to people who (regardless of size) truly make dance a career and put the time in. Or at a minimum make it a full time job.

• Love 2

Whitney's personality does grate me sometimes and I totally understand what everyone is saying about her claim to fame as a dancer BUT despite all that I still enjoy this show very much!  I am someone who has struggled with body image all my life (I'm 42 now) and having been on both sides of the scale, very thin and large though never as large as Whitney, it's nice to see her positive attitude and her not be afraid to get out there & do something.

So the dance is a little weak and she doesn't commit to it like a true dancer should but the fact that she puts herself out there in a public situation is impressive.  Hell simply going out in public in general and being upbeat and positive is an accomplishment.  I know lots, LOTS, of heavy people who won't even leave the house or rarely do because of their size and here she is getting out, shopping, laughing, and enjoying life.

If there is a 3rd season, and I hope there is, I will tune in if nothing else to see Babs!  Lenny's gotta go though, hope she dumps him.

• Love 3