Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sorry OT, Re:  Four Weddings.  Instead of judging each others' weddings, I think they should have a group of brides who judge another group of brides' weddings.  This is hard to explain, but that a bride is not judging her own competitors, and giving low marks to promote themselves, because they totally do.  Four brides judge another four brides for the best wedding; and vice versa.  So that they are not judging their own competitors.  Make sense?

• Love 6
On 3/12/2018 at 10:53 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Am I the only one who watches/watched for dresses?  I would almost be happy with automatron robot models wearing dresses.  Don't need backstories, don't need entourages, don't even need filmography of the wedding.

Dresses.

Either that, or they should change the name of the show to "Say Yes to the Backstories, Entourages, and Filmography."

• Love 9

It’s 2018, do people really still say “bling”?

NYE bride, that Pnina AGAIN???? It must have the best profit margin in the store for them to flog it for the last 5 years. 

CA bride had an unfortunately shaped body, and she and her two sisters sounded like complete airheads. 

Looks like Randy’s whipped cream boob dress is the next style that’s going to be put on everyone. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Looks like Randy’s whipped cream boob dress is the next style that’s going to be put on everyone. 

"Whipped cream boob dress" - heh, good description.

• Love 4
On 3/11/2018 at 1:13 PM, atlantaloves said:

Anybody know how much that New Year's bride's dress cost? I don't think they said. She was tacky, but that dress was fabulous. However, I did like the dress that she decided against with the fabulous to the floor sleeves. Ahhhhhhhh. 

$11,700 it was written on the screen as she walked out to the entourage.

On 3/12/2018 at 3:34 PM, doodlebug said:

Nope, my ideal show would be a couple of would-be brides, different ages, shapes, sizes; each trying on half a dozen dresses in silence. Give us a brief graphic with the bride's preferences as to style, color, etc.  Describe each dress she tries on in a sentence or two. No backstory, no entourage, no dramatics.  At the end, they could put up a graphic letting us know which one she picked.  The end.

I'd love this! Though I wouldn't mind a little bit of talk - I am always fascinated how the same dress can look great on one person and terrible on another, or how some styles flatter (or don't flatter) a particular figure and would appreciate some tips and some commentary as to why. But... as someone pointed out, that would be The Learning Channel, and we can't have that anymore :-( 

• Love 6
On 3/7/2018 at 11:02 PM, shksabelle said:

13B653BF-290A-41D1-823A-C7A60D4D3DD1.jpeg

Oh how I miss Downton Abby! 

On 3/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, Marisagf said:

That New Years Eve bride was so extra.  I looked up her entourage and the woman is a morning drive DJ in Chicago.  Her male friend works in promotion and she is in sales, I think.  It's an I Heart Radio station.  The dress was nice, but the hair, makeup and head piece were really too much.

She looked to me more Jersey Shore (not that there's anything wrong with Jersey) than Chicago. 

• Love 4

Thank you for sharing that.  It makes one wonder about manufactured drama on the part of the consultants as well.

Can you post a picture of your dress?  It would be refreshing to see something NOT Pnina or stripper fairy.  And did you call it "stripper fairy" when telling him what you didn't want?  Just curious to know if they have heard that term!

9 minutes ago, FreetheGirlses said:

You guys, I seriously could not have asked for a better consultant.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, FreetheGirlses said:

Went to Kleinfeld this week, and I did say yes to a dress.

Mazel Tov!  Post a pic!!! 

That being said, my consultant was...SHAY. 

Maybe what we see is, "Showtime Shay" and not "the honest consultant who is good at his job Shay."

- Danielle “Prostitution Whore” Staub from the Real Housewives of NJ was walking in with her entourage (including her daughters) as I was walking out. 

Wow, you got the dress of your dreams and a celebrity sighting too!  So cool.  

I wonder when the cameras showed up to film her dress drama?  

50 minutes ago, FreetheGirlses said:

So my dress is definitely a bit glitzier than I originally envisioned...I wanted fit and flare, though, with these hips and this butt. I wanted to look like a woman, not like I was going to a sweet 16. When I put it on, though, I fell in love. 

And yes, I most certainly did call it a fairy princess stripper dress ? I have no filter. 

I blurred out my face just in case my fiancé stumbled upon them.  

E5320337-9196-4930-AC74-CA930D745742.jpeg

59840DB0-4092-4E4B-ABC1-197D34E543F4.jpeg

Thank you! 

3AAFC10A-B690-48E8-87BA-08C06B81C6CE.jpeg

OMG! Gorgeous!  I love the lace and it really flatters you. Your mom must have cried when she saw you in it.

If your wedding is in the MD, DC, PA, VA area I would totally crash it to see you in the dress in person, lol. 

• Love 5

Freethegirls: you have a perfect figure, and that dress is fantastic on you.  Good job reporting and thanks for giving us the low down about Shay. He really is a good stylist! Nice to hear that you had a "no drama" experience honey. Yahoooooooo!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, FreetheGirlses said:

Thank you so much! I am not a fan of strapless.

All of that tugging of the top to keep it up.  Ugh.

As one who finds the whole alteration phase fascinating, will you let us share that with you?  One of the things that I can never picture is how they shorten it.  If the bottom has all of that beautiful lace detail, obviously they can't just turn it under.  So how do they make it short enough to fit you?   Inquiring minds want to know!

47 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Ewwwwww! Tonight‘s Jersey girl bride is so gross, fake, and spoiled.

Ugh, she's so gross. I didn't even think the dresses looked flattering on her! Always amazes me when a Dad loves a dress that is so boob-y. I don't think Dad has to be outraged, it just surprises me.

As to Marlena: When Mom picked a dress more than double the budget and was all "it's once in a lifetime!"...was it delusional to have hoped Mom would offer to help? Totally fine if Mom can't afford to help, many people don't that kind of spare cash, but then she shouldn't think her daughter could so easily cough up an extra 3K. 

I stopped watching a while back because I hated the drama and spoiled brides. But I fell off the wagon. Can you get a sponsor for this sort of thing? 

• Love 14

I'm always amazed when the brides put on some incredibly revealing, tacky dress and then go on and on about what a classy princess their fiances will think they are when see them. What will he think when he sees you? Probably that he's about to marry a slut who thinks nothing of spending $5000 on a dress to wear for one day. 

Not you, FreetheGirlses, your dress is beautiful and you look lovely in it.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I think we all got to spoiled jersey bride’s areolas. 

Appalling. I tuned it at the end (by mistake) and wondered where the top of the dress went. I though those babies would fall right out when she bent to hug her dad. And shame on him for not saying anything.  That was disgusting on so many levels.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I'm always amazed when the brides put on some incredibly revealing, tacky dress and then go on and on about what a classy princess their fiances will think they are when see them. What will he think when he sees you? Probably that he's about to marry a slut who thinks nothing of spending $5000 on a dress to wear for one day. 

I actually don't think that's true. That IS what lots of people would think. But based on years of watching entourage and family reactions, plenty of people are also more than fine with the slutty bride aesthetic as well as insane budgets. And it stands to reason that these grooms know exactly what they're getting and they are probably attracted to this look. No one is marrying Emanuel (the spoiled NJ bride) without understanding exactly what she is and will be wearing! She doesn't hide it. 

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, snarktini said:

I actually don't think that's true. That IS what lots of people would think. But based on years of watching entourage and family reactions, plenty of people are also more than fine with the slutty bride aesthetic as well as insane budgets. And it stands to reason that these grooms know exactly what they're getting and they are probably attracted to this look. No one is marrying Emanuel (the spoiled NJ bride) without understanding exactly what she is and will be wearing! She doesn't hide it. 

Yeah, you're probably right. This show is a guilty pleasure for me, but sometimes I just get too disgusted by it and have to stop for a while.

• Love 2

OH MY GODDESS...THAT ITALIAN chick with the father who would buy her anything, (according to her) she is totally Big Ang from Mob Wives..WHAT A UGLY FAT WHORE. 

Seriously, I just CAN'T. The piggy whores on this show, I just can't.  Go away, please. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

All of that tugging of the top to keep it up.  Ugh.

As one who finds the whole alteration phase fascinating, will you let us share that with you?  One of the things that I can never picture is how they shorten it.  If the bottom has all of that beautiful lace detail, obviously they can't just turn it under.  So how do they make it short enough to fit you?   Inquiring minds want to know!

Absolutely. I really have no idea, because it's all lace at the bottom. They do have my height. Very curious about this as well. 

1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

@FreetheGirlses Your dress is gorgeous!! And the straps absolutely make it and it looks like they were made to have them! 

Thank you so much! 

5 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Freethegirls: you have a perfect figure, and that dress is fantastic on you.  Good job reporting and thanks for giving us the low down about Shay. He really is a good stylist! Nice to hear that you had a "no drama" experience honey. Yahoooooooo!

Thanks! These hips don't lie, which make it challenging to find clothes sometimes, but I'm learning to embrace them. If you look at the reviews for Kleinfeld on Yelp, I've found a lot of people also writing very good reviews about Shay. 

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

Not you, FreetheGirlses, your dress is beautiful and you look lovely in it.

Thank you. I actually wanted to wear something that made me look a little more like a woman, hence the fit and flare. I was avoiding princess, but didn't want to be a sparkly streetwalker ;) I spent less than $5,000 on it, too. Contrary to what the show makes it seem like, you can get a dress for less than $5,000 at Kleinfeld. 

1 hour ago, VGL said:

Beautiful dress!  Are you getting it in the same colour?

Thanks! And no. That dress is ivory lace over blush (it was sort of pink). I'm getting ivory over ivory, so traditional "white". My skin tone can handle a crisp white. Soooo many of the dresses had a blush undertone, though. Very trendy. 

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

@FreetheGirlses - That is absolutely beautiful!  Fits you like a glove.  Well done.

Thanks! I have to say, all Shay. That was the second dress I tried on. The first one was beautiful too, but he could tell where it was hitting me in a bit of the wrong places and put me right in this one. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, FreetheGirlses said:

Absolutely. I really have no idea, because it's all lace at the bottom. They do have my height. Very curious about this as well. 

They will probably remove the lower portion where it attaches to the form fitting section, and make the adjustments there.

FreetheGirlses, you and that dress are absolutely stunning! That fits you like a glove!  Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Kleinfeld.  I would much rather see that type of experience vs. the young lady who couldn't do math (her words.) 

I can't believe her parents didn't insist on more coverage on the top of that dress.  IMO, that's just embarrassing to walk down the aisle with one's boobs overflowing up and over the dress.  

Note to SuprSuprElevated:  I love your little cat picture!  So cute.  I'm loving all of the animal photos on these forums, especially the cats!  Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, FreetheGirlses said:

Anywhere there's a seam (waist, empire, mermaid), length can be taken up from the top instead of the hem. Sometimes they can cut off lace and reattach invisibly. (Once I remember an alterations pulled out her scissors to do this and the bride was understandably freaked out her expensive lace was getting hacked up.) They may lay out the pattern pieces on the fabric and position so the pretty bits land in the right places for your size and height. This kind of customization is one of the reasons orders take so long.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 1

Did y’all feel the love tonight at the wedding? I think that maybe there have never been two people who truly defined love until that wedding happened. 

I was really expecting more out of the groom that she fell in love with at first sight, and waited all those years for. Did she mention something about having a child, or did I just imagine that.

• Love 4

Marlena definitely mentioned having a baby. 

I couldn’t take my eyes off of Emanuela’s greasy tanned leather complexion and jiggly boobs. I hope people don’t think she’s a typical Jersey Girl because the vast majority of us are perfectly normal and consider the Snooki types an embarrassment. 

edited to add, here’s her wedding website. Keep it classy! https://www.theknot.com/us/emanuela-defalco-and-robert-arreaga-may-2018

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 3

I have to agree that the NJ bride was awful. But then I'm an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't think a woman's boobs should be hanging out no matter what she's wearing.  I thought it was sad when her sister said it was OK that Emanuela was her father's favorite.  And they made no effort to hide it.  

I remember the good old days when they wouldn't show brides dresses that were over their budget, but this season it seems to happen regularly.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, snarktini said:

Anywhere there's a seam (waist, empire, mermaid), length can be taken up from the top instead of the hem. Sometimes they can cut off lace and reattach invisibly. (Once I remember an alterations pulled out her scissors to do this and the bride was understandably freaked out her expensive lace was getting hacked up.) They may lay out the pattern pieces on the fabric and position so the pretty bits land in the right places for your size and height. This kind of customization is one of the reasons orders take so long.

I’m short and ordered a dress with a scalloped lace design at the bottom and I’m guessing they did thus.  They measured me when I ordered my dress in the height heels I wanted to wear and made the dress to that length and called it hollow to hem.  Then when the dress came it didn’t need to be hemmed.  And this was not a pricey dress from Kleinfelds so I’m guessing that’s pretty standard on certain dresses.  It made alterations cheaper because it didn’t need to be hemmed.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Note to SuprSuprElevated:  I love your little cat picture!  So cute.  I'm loving all of the animal photos on these forums, especially the cats!  Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!

Thanks!  I take no credit beyond a copy & paste of The Google.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, rlc said:

Did y’all feel the love tonight at the wedding? I think that maybe there have never been two people who truly defined love until that wedding happened. 

I liked the sheer cape she paired with her wedding dress.  I'm not usually a fan of the kind of dress she chose (looks like a slip/negligee to me), but that one looked nice on her, especially with a little added coverage of the cape.  IIRC, there was a beaded design on the bottom of the dress, so that gave it a little pizzazz!

8 hours ago, camom said:

But then I'm an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't think a woman's boobs should be hanging out no matter what she's wearing.

With the bridal gowns, I wouldn't want one where all the attention would be on "the girls."  I think modesty has gone out the window with some of these brides.  IMO, there's just something so wrong with walking down the aisle of a church with your boobs hanging out and on display.  Save it for the honeymoon! 

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Save it for the honeymoon! 

Sadly, that ship has sailed for these women.  I am guessing the men love to see the boobs on display in a Neanderthal, chest-beating "look what I bagged" declaration.  Modesty is definitely a thing of the past.

• Love 8

The opening scene with Randy and Ronnie...I'm hearing a lot of Oscar buzz! LOL.

When I saw the Jersey Girl's (aka Big Ang Jr.) dad I thought he was David Letterman's band leader Paul Schaffer.

Pink dress girl, yikes! The raccoon's called, they want their eyes back. 

Neither bride does math, the bride with the $2500 budget learns the dress she likes is $4400 dress is not double the price.

• Love 6

I've been more covered up when I've had a mammogram than what she was in that dress (OK, half more covered).   I cannot imagine wearing a wedding dress that if you sneeze, you will show everything to everyone.  

• Love 11
12 hours ago, snarktini said:

Ugh, she's so gross. I didn't even think the dresses looked flattering on her! Always amazes me when a Dad loves a dress that is so boob-y. I don't think Dad has to be outraged, it just surprises me.

As to Marlena: When Mom picked a dress more than double the budget and was all "it's once in a lifetime!"...was it delusional to have hoped Mom would offer to help? Totally fine if Mom can't afford to help, many people don't that kind of spare cash, but then she shouldn't think her daughter could so easily cough up an extra 3K. 

I stopped watching a while back because I hated the drama and spoiled brides. But I fell off the wagon. Can you get a sponsor for this sort of thing? 

There's no way I could walk around in front of my dad with so much of my chest exposed.  I can't wear low cut tops anyway because I feel uncomfortable, like I was going to fall out any minute.  That was crazy!

I was also hoping that someone on that couch would offer to help Marlena pay for the dress.  Then, she added the cape, which added more money to it and it wasn't worth it, imo.  I didn't like at all.  I wish she'd done her hair up with with something decorative. 

12 hours ago, PityFree said:

I think we all got to see spoiled jersey bride’s areolas. 

I'm pretty sure we did.

While I liked Marlena's dress, I wish she'd have tried on one or two more with lace, since she obviously liked the look of lace in pictures.  I was waiting for someone to tell her that there are different kinds of lace and all the dresses with lace had a different amount on them.  Not all lacy dresses are dripping in it like the one she tried on was.  It was odd to me that just because one lace dress didn't look good on her, the assumption was that nothing with lace would look good on her.  I've always told my daughter to try things on, even if you don't think they'd look good on you, because sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

I'm not really interested in alterations, but I could watch a few half hour show about Randy's (or anyone's) process of coming up with an idea for dresses, right up to the runway show itself. 

@FreetheGirlses, I love your dress!  It's just beautiful!  Thank you for sharing your experience. 

• Love 5

No one has mentioned the rabbi who performed the ceremony.  I thought he was very entertaining.  The flower girl was their daughter, and Marlena said she was 2 years old.  Marlena's friend in the hot pink dress needs to cut down on the tanning bed or fake tan cream.  She looked totally orange, and I don't think it was my TV setting.

The NJ woman was off the charts.  The mother hardly said two words, and it was clear that the bride to be was her daddy's girl. Ugh.  Classy?  Not by my definition.  Thanks for link to their wedding website.  Glad I had already eaten breakfast when I read it, or I would have lost my appetite.     

• Love 2

I laughed when Randy said he never brings a dress to a bride that is over her budget.  Yes he does, like in every episode.

3 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Thanks for link to their wedding website.

I didn't see the link, were is it?  Like a car accident, I have to look!

• Love 1

Wearing a jacket by the sleeves only needs to be over now.

NJ bride was a nightmare, never understand do people like her think that kind of behavior on TV is charming? So many people on this program show off this horrible attitude to other peoples money, they've obviously seen the show themselves before, did they admire the others who did it? Not caring about the budget when someone else is paying and has given a very generous cap doesn't make you look carefree, it makes you look like a jerk.

According to this shes a multi millionaire in her own right (http://www.evolvingbeauty.info/pod-features/008-emanuela-defalco-the-mind-of-a-millennial-beauty-millionaire) why not offer to cover anything over her Dad's budget. Her brand's products actually seem to get fairly good ratings on ipsy and amazon.

Odd observation but is anyone else thinking that some brides must have started having botox really young like in their 20's and its now making the lower half of their face age extra fast like I guess if thats the only part that moves it would age faster? I saw it in NJ bride and I think in NYE bride last week (also see it on programs like Vanderpump Rules). I've googled it and all I can find is anecdotal evidence of people sharing their experience. Am I the only one seeing it?

• Love 1