Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Chellichik said:

The wig bride’s entourage (were they both her daughters?) we’re so overly dramatic and the one with the two toned hair has the flattest head I think I have ever seen.  I’m sure it’s her wig, but yeesh.

Only one was her daughter. At first, I thought SHE was the bride’s mother! Flat head was her cousin. 

I missed the intro, did they say what her boyfriend (now fiancé) does for a living? Was he a pro athlete or entertainer? I was mesmerized by Monique’s engagement ring. How convenient he surprised her with it the night before filming. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, maggiegil said:

That wig did nothing for her, she looked miles better in the first one, I hope she doesn't wear "Paige" for her wedding,  with a crown on top it will be even more in her eyes. Thought the dress she chose was very pretty, hope how she styles herself on the day doesn't take away from the dress.

Loved the dress eyebrows ended up choosing, would have been interested to see it bustled like they talked about for dancing. Hated the first dress with the super low V they had her in, glad she went with the cape dress.

Wore a gown similar to eyebrows #1 dress that she tried on minus the low cut front to my 9th prom.  Ruffles were very in back then in time.  Now that dress last night just looked very dated to me.

On 7/31/2022 at 2:28 PM, cameron said:

Watching the third bride last night; how much things have change since I got married in 1968.  Pregnant brides back then didn't make such a production of getting married  with all the accoutrements  (white gown, veil, etc.).  And most certainly wouldn't have announced it at their wedding.  Call me old fashioned.

I could have been a combo wedding and baby shower!

My husband and I were invited to a wedding at Ceresville Mansion the week before we all  went on the 2020 Covid lockdown...it was lovely, sadly it poured so no outside photos for the bride and groom but the venue was very nice although no baby gender reveal at that wedding, lol.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I found “Eyebrows” to be an insufferable, name-dropping snob who doesn’t know the meaning of the word structural. 

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought she was obnoxious and way too impressed with herself. She also had a raging case of RBF. I didn't like her winged cape/gown choice, to me it looked like a costume like Princess Leia or some kind of Druid. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4

Many seasons back an Asian woman bought what was truly a sculptural dress.

I think it was on one of the discount episodes and so she was able to get it relatively inexpensively.

If I were really looking for a "sculptural" dress or a non-cliched wedding gown and had her relatively large budget I wouldn't go to Kleinfeld just because my mother had bought her dress there years ago. Of course even if I went to Kleinfeld I wouldn't want to be on the show so there is the critical difference.

I am not in the market for a wedding gown so I am not up on current styles but years ago there was a short lived series on Amsale bridal gowns and many of those seemed to have a much sleeker sophisticate aesthete than the standard gown and I suspect there are ateliers or boutiques which also market for more sophisticated brides.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, maggiegil said:

Loved the dress eyebrows ended up choosing, would have been interested to see it bustled like they talked about for dancing. Hated the first dress with the super low V they had her in, glad she went with the cape dress.

I wish we'd been able to see a bit of her wedding--in Spain.  Bet the crew wishes that too!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought she was obnoxious and way too impressed with herself. She also had a raging case of RBF. I didn't like her winged cape/gown choice, to me it looked like a costume like Princess Leia or some kind of Druid. 

And the way she gushed on about how her father worked in the fashion industry when he was just a buyer of shoes for some store.  Even the way he presented himself led Randy to think he was in the bridal industry at first.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, cameron said:

And the way she gushed on about how her father worked in the fashion industry when he was just a buyer of shoes for some store.  Even the way he presented himself led Randy to think he was in the bridal industry at first.

Oh, I forgot that! Randy didn't seem to be very impressed (nor was I). 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, magemaud said:

“Paige” was one ugly wig, didn’t look at all bridal and would look even worse with a crown on top 

It didn't flatter her at all. She looked much better with the long hairpiece or with her hair up and the other additions off. 

I am getting tired of brides wanting peoples jaws to drop when they appear for their walk down the aisle. Have they never been in a church before? It's not a theatre. People are seated facing the altar in the front of the sanctuary. They're sitting in rows. At big weddings, they're sitting in rows full of people. Chances are, most of the attendees will see the side of the bride, from the waist or shoulders up, and then the back of the bride during the ceremony.  Very few people will actually see the whole gown that the bride is is sure will gobsmack them. (/today's rant)

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
30 minutes ago, rur said:

It didn't flatter her at all. She looked much better with the long hairpiece or with her hair up and the other additions off. 

She said she had 20+ wigs and THAT'S the one she chose for the wedding? I thought she looked lovely with her natural hair in the dress she chose. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I thought she looked lovely with her natural hair in the dress she chose. 

She said even THAT was a wig...and they pinned up the long back for the last look at "the" dress.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, readheaded said:

I found “Eyebrows” to be an insufferable, name-dropping snob who doesn’t know the meaning of the word structural. 

6 hours ago, magemaud said:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought she was obnoxious and way too impressed with herself. She also had a raging case of RBF.

4 hours ago, Marisagf said:

Eyebrows was such a twit,

Wonder what kind of a PRIZE her husband is....

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

She said even THAT was a wig...and they pinned up the long back for the last look at "the" dress

Oh, I missed that. I thought it looked really bridal and elegant that way. I hope she did something like that for the wedding. 

I was thrilled when I heard the two women who accompanied the wig bride say "no" to belts.  How many times have we in this forum complained that the belts, that so many brides are infatuated with, ruin the look/lines of their dress?  I really liked the first dress, especially the top part, but the one she chose looked great on her, too.

As for eyebrows, I was so happy to see something different for a change.  Personally, I loved her in the first dress and wondered why, if she was worried about dancing, did she not consider buying two dresses since she was willing to go up to $10,000?  I'd understand, though, if she didn't want to bother, or wanted to get the most out of the wedding dress itself.  I did love the dress she chose-her figure was perfect for it-but, imo, it only looked really good from the front. From side and back, it looked like she had a sheet pulled over her shoulders.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
7 hours ago, amarante said:

I am not in the market for a wedding gown so I am not up on current styles but years ago there was a short lived series on Amsale bridal gowns and many of those seemed to have a much sleeker sophisticate aesthete than the standard gown and I suspect there are ateliers or boutiques which also market for more sophisticated brides.

I just looked at the website and my goodness a lot of them are stunning.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I could have been a combo wedding and baby shower!

My husband and I were invited to a wedding at Ceresville Mansion the week before we all  went on the 2020 Covid lockdown...it was lovely, sadly it poured so no outside photos for the bride and groom but the venue was very nice although no baby gender reveal at that wedding, lol.

I’m from Baltimore, too; is that the place up on the hill in Timonium? 

• Love 1
Just now, readheaded said:

I’m from Baltimore, too; is that the place up on the hill in Timonium? 

Hello neighbor!

If you take Liberty Road and go all the way to Frederick it is on the left side of the road, you are thinking of Bonnie Blink, it is a rehab center (elderly and such not drugs type of rehab). 

• Love 1

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means." None of the gowns she looked at were actually avant-garde.

Does the show only feature designers who pay to appear? Because Kleinfeld's is one of the exclusive retailers for Austin Scarlett and he makes some beautiful gowns, but I don't think they've been showcased on SYTTD. And Pnina has disappeared, maybe she decided it was an extra expense. But this dress is a lot more avant-garde than what she chose.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

As for eyebrows, I was so happy to see something different for a change.  Personally, I loved her in the first dress and wondered why, if she was worried about dancing, did she not consider buying two dresses since she was willing to go up to $10,000?

From her instagram it looks like she did change for the reception https://www.instagram.com/p/CYPAnYKrVf-/

34 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Because Kleinfeld's is one of the exclusive retailers for Austin Scarlett and he makes some beautiful gowns, but I don't think they've been showcased on SYTTD.

He definitely was on the show at least once in an early season, I think he was at Kleinfeld for a trunk show but I don't remember his designs being featured other than that one time

• Useful 4
45 minutes ago, maggiegil said:

From her instagram it looks like she did change for the reception

Ooh!  I really like that dress! Thanks for the link!

As far as her wedding dress, I'm not normally a fan of something so plain, but I really liked this on her.  I think the details around the bottom of the cape were pretty too.  🎼Well, I've never been to Spain but I kinda like the music 🎵 (thanks, Three Dog Night!), but this is the kind of dress I imagine would be very appropriate for that venue.  She definitely had the figure for this style of gown.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Hello neighbor!

If you take Liberty Road and go all the way to Frederick it is on the left side of the road, you are thinking of Bonnie Blink, it is a rehab center (elderly and such not drugs type of rehab). 

Ok, thanks! I knew I’d heard of it, but couldn’t place it, but now know exactly where that is. 😊

• Love 1
16 hours ago, maggiegil said:

From her instagram it looks like she did change for the reception https://www.instagram.com/p/CYPAnYKrVf-/

He definitely was on the show at least once in an early season, I think he was at Kleinfeld for a trunk show but I don't remember his designs being featured other than that one time

The consultant said that the cape dress could be 'bustled' for the reception.  I would've liked to have seen what that looked like.

There are a lot of wedding designers who design more off-kilter wedding dresses for women who don't want whatever the current fad might be.  Viktor and Rolf and Pronovias come to mind as having some interesting, outside-the-box dresses.  I think the problem is that Kleinfeld's,  probably more than most wedding dress purveyors, caters to a certain clientele who are NOT looking for something different, who want whatever the current fad might be.  They're middle class women who want a traditional look that doesn't reinvent any wheels and that everyone can tell is a wedding gown from a mile away.  So, when Kleinfeld's buyers are choosing samples for the store, they tend to stick to the middle of the road and there are very few non-traditional samples in the store.  A smaller boutique, with a reputation for having unique choices would be a better bet when it comes to finding a non-traditional dress.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Notabug said:

They're middle class women who want a traditional look that doesn't reinvent any wheels and that everyone can tell is a wedding gown from a mile away.  So, when Kleinfeld's buyers are choosing samples for the store, they tend to stick to the middle of the road and there are very few non-traditional samples in the store.  A smaller boutique, with a reputation for having unique choices would be a better bet when it comes to finding a non-traditional dress.

But notabug, how could she not follow the family tradition of shopping at Kleinfeld?  **said in my most sarcastic voice. Eyebrows just wanted some teevee time.

Edited by BAForever
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, kirklandia said:

On the subject of designers in the Kleinfeld stable, just saw this about the artist formally known as Hayley Paige.

https://people.com/style/hayley-paige-changes-name-to-cheval-amid-ongoing-legal-battle-regarding-designs-social-media-identity/

So I'm reading this as HP is no longer designing bridal for 5 years.  I wonder if Kleinfeld still carries HP of JLM Couture?  And if they carry it, do they promote it or are the samples hidden away in their giant storeroom?

1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I wonder if the brides we see with a very short timeline are shown these dresses?

They are shown sample dresses which are dresses on the models or maybe even those people try on before ordering something to their specifications.

But they are also shown dresses which were ordered for other brides and then abandoned (people find a different dress or the wedding is cancelled).  Since there's such a variety of styles and sizes, I think that's what most of the dresses on that page are.  And yes, they do show them. They've mentioned them.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They are shown sample dresses which are dresses on the models or maybe even those people try on before ordering something to their specifications.

But they are also shown dresses which were ordered for other brides and then abandoned (people find a different dress or the wedding is cancelled).  Since there's such a variety of styles and sizes, I think that's what most of the dresses on that page are.  And yes, they do show them. They've mentioned them.

I remember them selling sample gowns to the women lucky enough to be the sample size, but it looks like these dresses, arranged by size, must be the ones that weren't picked up for some reason. And yes, you're correct that sometimes they explain the dress just happened to be unclaimed at the salon and often much cheaper than the original price. 

The Sample Sale is coming up! https://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/sample-sale/ 

On 8/10/2022 at 2:23 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Meanwhile, there's the wedding of Theresa Guidice of RHONJ to snark on. The ceremony dress isn't completely horrible, not exactly great either, but then it's every bad cliché of hair, makeup and headpiece. The reception dress is a corset and nightgown. The bridesmaids gowns she stuffed her daughters into are also bad. In other words, it's everything you would expect at a Real Housewives wedding.

I, for one, didn't expect both a dance troupe and a stripper entertaining at the reception. I would have opted for a stripping dance troupe. 

• LOL 2
On 8/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, magemaud said:

Why on earth would she choose HORSE in French as her new designer name?

I wonder if the brides we see with a very short timeline are shown these dresses? That would explain how they just happened to have something available in their size to take with them that day: https://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/wedding-dresses-available-immediately/

I get the impression that she's got a screw loose.

I loved seeing Sarah, Nicole, and Debbie again! Didn't really need Zoey. This easily could have been a 2 or 3 hour show. I wish they'd rerun the first season, that would be so interesting to see.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I loved seeing Sarah, Nicole, and Debbie again! Didn't really need Zoey. This easily could have been a 2 or 3 hour show. I wish they'd rerun the first season, that would be so interesting to see.

There were some ugly dresses shown in this episode.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Agreed on all counts! I would have loved to see Christiane, too. 

• Love 1

I hated reliving the awful bridal moments.  Otherwise, the reunion was nice!  I wonder what the consultants get paid (aside from salary/commissions) who are on the show.  Vera (seamstress) probably has a lot of crazy stories about the fitting appointments too. 

I was wondering how Kleinfeld was approached about doing a show, then I read that actor Wayne Rogers (M*A*S*H*) helped them (he was a financial whiz), but this article doesn't state how the TV show came about.   I had no idea that he had anything to do with their business!  I thought it was interesting.  Probably old news to many here, but I'm always extremely late to any party, so it's news to me!  :)  

ETA:  I had a link, but it was only good for one click!  I Googled Wayne Rogers and Kleinfeld and found an article about him & Kleinfeld bridal. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2