Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, wonderwoman said:

show of hands: how many own that “i’m silently correcting your grammar” t-shirt? 

raises hand.

*raises hand*

So wow...looks like both Banshees and Elvis are going to have their hopes pinned on Best Actor at this point.

Just now, mojoween said:

Jennifer Connelly’s character in Maverick was superfluous.  

No chemistry between them at all. The chemistry between Cruise and McGillis in the original was much hotter.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was reading a story about someone who keeps her awards at her office, because she felt it was too much to have them on display at home (I cannot for the life of me remember who it was) and I am sorry, but if I won an Oscar?  That thing is coming with me wherever I go for the rest of my LIFE.

You mean like I have all my bobbleheads in my office instead of at home?

Probably not... 

5 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Wear it on a chain around your neck, kind of like Flavor Flav and his clocks. 

Have you ever held an Oscar.  I got to pick one up at my office a while ago - they're reeeeally heavy.  Spinal issues for sure if you wear them around your neck.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
Just now, shoregirl said:

I thought the movie was pretty cheesy personally 

It was better than I expected, but not on this or any other planet does it deserve a Best Picture nomination, nor Best Screenplay, when the script was the absolute worst part of it.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Have you ever held an Oscar.  I got to pick one up at my office a while ago - they're reeeeally heavy.  Spinal issues for sure if you wear them around your neck.

I have not held an Oscar.  A Grammy, yes, but not an Oscar.  I was joking.  I can only imagine the neck pain as well as the damage to your chest with an Oscar bouncing off of it. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Elvis is not doing well. Poor Batman I think it deserved a bit more love as well.

Yeah if Austin loses Best Actor, like Banshees it will leave empty-handed. Unlike others I knew Sound was a lock for Top Gun (those air sequences alone was worth the award) but Elvis was a strong favorite for Makeup and Hairstyling and Costume. That said, unlike others, Black Panther winning Costume wasn't shocking to me because whatever one thinks of the film, the Costumes are spectacular.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Oh, Lord...here we go...

Oh hell, I take that back, I forgot about Olivia Newton-John.  Sorry.

This was literally my journey.  At the moment he started to stumble, I thought perhaps he shouldn't be having these solo segments.  But then I remembered.

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, Eureka said:

No chemistry between them at all. The chemistry between Cruise and McGillis in the original was much hotter.

When Tom Cruise made the movie Eyes Wide Shut with his then wife, Nicole Kidman, they had to reshoot some of their romantic scenes because they weren’t steamy enough.

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Emmeline said:

When Tom Cruise made the movie Eyes Wide Shut with his then wife, Nicole Kidman, they had to reshoot some of their romantic scenes because they weren’t steamy enough.

I ain't surprised lol. I'm sure nobody is.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

I was getting big mad that they left out the “A Christmas Story” mom (Melinda Dillon!  It just came to me) and then I see they tacked on “go to our website to see others (we didn’t deem worthy enough to make the broadcast)” and she’s probably there.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3
  • Sad 8
  • Useful 2
Just now, mojoween said:

I was getting big mad that they left out the “A Christmas Story” mom (Melinda Dillon!  It just came to me) and then I see they tacked on “go to our website to see others (we didn’t seem worthy enough to make the broadcast)” and she’s probably there.

10 to 1 she’s in 2023 TCM Remembers.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I have not held an Oscar.  A Grammy, yes, but not an Oscar.  I was joking.  I can only imagine the neck pain as well as the damage to your chest with an Oscar bouncing off of it. 

I'm sorry - didn't mean to sound like a scold.  I knew you were joking.  I was trying to type fast since the thread was moving so fast and I don't do that very well  😀

• Like 4