Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I'm getting a bit exhausted by the shade being thrown at the other nominees just because they're men. I get the cause but it's Jibes like both Emma Stones and Natslie Portmans (at the globes) that ruin it for the winner who has done nothing wrong. It also just comes off a bit passive aggressive on Gerwigs behalf which also isn't fair because she's not the one delivering the digs.

I see what you mean, but I took it as more of a celebration of the women who achieve in a male dominated industry. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Omeletsmom said:

Wow, Jennifer Garner looks STUNNING.  (I'm running a bit behind because I paused the TV for an earthquake).

Really?  You let an earthquake interrupt your Oscar watching??  :-)

Hope everything is okay.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Still a girl crush! Hey she's single, Michael Vartan's single..... maybe a round two? I'm sure he treated her better then Ben Asshole.

Seriously.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am of the opinion that Gregory Peck was probably the hottest actor to ever step foot on a stage and everytime I see him I wonder where that other actors that look like him or or act like him are I need to find them someone find them please.

Edited by TV Mercenary
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

Wow, Jennifer Garner looks STUNNING.  (I'm running a bit behind because I paused the TV for an earthquake).

whoa, earthquake where?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, topanga said:

I see what you mean, but I took it as more of a celebration of the women who achieve in a male dominated industry. 

It's pretty lousy to comment on nominees when presenting an award. They stop just one step short of saying, "Ugh, and the winner is another man..."

• Love 3
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Radio dudes are saying the show is running on time which makes me go how much time did they pencil out for this thing?!?

Oh reeeeally?  Someone should've told that to my DVR, which only penciled in 3 hours for this shindig.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, topanga said:
4 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I'm getting a bit exhausted by the shade being thrown at the other nominees just because they're men. I get the cause but it's Jibes like both Emma Stones and Natslie Portmans (at the globes) that ruin it for the winner who has done nothing wrong. It also just comes off a bit passive aggressive on Gerwigs behalf which also isn't fair because she's not the one delivering the digs.

I get both points of view....but here's something to chew on - when the motion picture industry started, there were more women screenplay writers (or scenerio) and directors, and editors, all of it.  By the time sound came around the men had taken over.  It's time to gain that ground back.  I'd love to see more women directors nominated and I think it will happen.  The time is now.

And there we go, no surprise - but Gary Oldman is a great actor.  Sid and Nancy anyone?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, TV Mercenary said:

Who  wanted American Idol to come back and who wanted it to come back with even worse judges which only one of them I actually know and recognize because it's Lionel Richie and if you've been alive for at least 20 years you at least know of him but the other two I have no clue who they are and why they should be qualified to determine other people's future in singing and everytime I see the group of people that their sorting through I get rejection from The Voice vibes from these people so I'm going to go with this is going to be another failed experiment on ABC's record all because they just happen to have Ryan Seacrest now on their payroll so they can use him for kind of free or until they're forced to fire him because of his allegations drama.

Okay now back to the Oscars who are these two children and why do they both look barely old enough to even still be up at this hour but the yound lad is super cute adorable accent is that the kid who played Spider-Man in the new film that didn't tank?

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but whatever time "this hour" was when you posted, as long as you weren't also in the Pacific Time Zone, since the Oscars are in California it was as much as 3 hours earlier & as little as 1 hour earlier wherever you are, which isn't all that late, yet. As I type, it's only around 11:15PM Eastern; not necessarily optimal for school-age kids to be up that late on a school night, but again, in California it's 3 hours earlier than where I am & still perfectly acceptable for most school-age kids (unless you're in preschool &/or kindergarten/just starting school) to be awake. Plus, for the school-age kids who are there, I'm sure they're there with their parents' full knowledge & consent, probably because at least 1 parent (or perhaps another relative) is an Oscar nominee this year & it's being treated as a special occasion even if it goes past the kids' bedtime.

• Love 1

And it's Gary Oldman.  I will be first to admit that the role (and film) was totally Oscar bait, but he more than earned it.

That said, Timothee Chalamet will so be back here.  I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name yet, but I was already impressed with him in Lady Bird and even Hostiles.  He is totally going places if he's already getting recognition now. 

• Love 6

I didnt realize Denzel had been nominated. 

He was the actor who high fived one of the children dancers during the Greatest Showman song. I couldnt tell who it was (the shot was behind him) but I knew it was someone in thr middle.

Hoped for someone else to win...

• Love 3
1 minute ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

am I one of the few people who doesn't like Gary Oldman?

Nope. He has hammed his way through movies for decades. Same indignant yelling, etc. Ugh. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I’ve had too much wine, when the hell is this thing gonna be over?!?

It seems early to me, but that may be my wine talking. 

• Love 3
Just now, CherryMalotte said:

I get both points of view....but here's something to chew on - when the motion picture industry started, there were more women screenplay writers (or scenerio) and directors, and editors, all of it.  By the time sound came around the men had taken over.  It's time to gain that ground back.  I'd love to see more women directors nominated and I think it will happen.  The time is now.

And there we go, no surprise - but Gary Oldman is a great actor.  Sid and Nancy anyone?

Lois Weber, Frances Marion, Mary Pickford, Alice Guy-Blanche look these ladies up.

• Love 2