Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Needs Of The Many

Noah searches for someone from his past and breaks into Renautas for answers. Also: Miko continues her rescue mission; Tommy tries to save a life; Luke faces obstacles in his relationship with his wife; and Carlos makes progress in his heroic odyssey.

So last episode Luke goes kind of nuclear, yet nothing happens.  Did his clothes burn off ?

Arctic girl was being hunted by groups on snowmobiles, and nothing happens.  The auroras in the middle of the day seems kind of dumb -- no one should even notice them they would be so dim compared to daylight.

Miko must have a passport so she can fly to the US, so we know that she's an actual person and not some video game creation.

Renautus has some of the shittiest security on the planet.

With all those monarch butterflies hanging around in the Arctic, this is starting to feel like 'Under the Dome' -- and that ain't a good thing.

And now we've got two shows using the term 'Inhuman'.  Yay !! </sarcasm>

ETA: I was also disappointed that the car that slammed into the car with Tommy and his mom was just a drunk driver -- I figured for sure it was Renautus so that was a big letdown.

And who is this baby that Mrs. Cravid wants killed ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 8

Miko must have a passport so she can fly to the US, so we know that she's an actual person and not some video game creation.

Or she's a video game creation of an actual person.

• Love 5

Or she's a video game creation of an actual person.

Also a possibility.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Harris clones clothing works -- because the suits turned to ash as well as the bodies.  I don't think they quite thought through that character fully.

• Love 2

Ehhh ... I am quickly losing interest. Pretty much everyone was boring this time around, and the stupid of Jose showing his powers in broad daylight (with the garage door open) just burned.  And of course Molly offed herself to keep things cryptic.  Why couldn't she just go with Noah last episode?  She had more potential than a lot of these characters.

In fact, the only characters I care even slightly about right now are Tommy and Ren (his storyline may be awful, but he's kind of fun).

• Love 5

Poor Molly. I've been binge rewatching the original series while home sick the last few days, and Molly was just a sweet little girl this morning. Matt and Mohinder seriously failed that girl since this is how she ends up, and it kind of pisses me off.

I'm guessing Claire is alive, and that's the location Molly refused to give up.

The passport thing thing with Miko occurred to me too, but I think she could still get one if it's believed she is a real person with a real birth certificate, etc. And honestly, this wouldn't be the first thing the show glossed over for ease of plot.

I love Ren a little more each week. He's so adorably geeky, without coming across as incredibly immature (looking at you, early days Hiro). I just wish I enjoyed the plot he's part of more.

Bennett's Sylar shout out- I thought this show would have a lot more of this little references, but in a way I'm relieved it doesn't.

Oh, Tommy, not your brightest idea. I was expecting the doctor to tell him he's not actually related to his mom. Is O Negative that uncommon of a blood type? I didn't think it was. I still want to know who his dad is, darn it. Was that Homeland Security or Renautus agents at the hospital?

Should I know who that was at the end or is it someone brand new? Am I the only one who spends the last five minutes of each episode waiting for someone from the original series to show up?

Should I know who that was at the end or is it someone brand new? Am I the only one who spends the last five minutes of each episode waiting for someone from the original series to show up?

I think it's someone brand new -- I don't remember anyone like that from the original series.

Maybe it's Quentin's sister Phoebe -- he or she was holding a ball of dark matter, and the Renautus woman did mention something about a shadow caster or something.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

So last episode Luke goes kind of nuclear, yet nothing happens.  Did his clothes burn off ?

Same deja vu, same disappointment.

Am I the only one who spends the last five minutes of each episode waiting for someone from the original series to show up?

Me too, even though the show is already trying to rehash the old characters with the new ones.  Zachary Levi's character dressed exactly like Sylar with the black cap in that one scene.

Ehhh ... I am quickly losing interest. Pretty much everyone was boring this time around, and the stupid of Jose showing his powers in broad daylight (with the garage door open) just burned.

This is why I have a problem with them juggling so many characters, we have to sift through so many pointless subplots.

• Love 1

The scene with Miko and Ren in the cab has me convinced that she is a game character that is invisible to most of the world.  The camera shots through the windshield into the cab show Ren and the driver, but Miko is hidden behind the driver's seat and his head.  He never addresses anything comments to her, but only to Ren.  Miko is only shown in two-shots with Ren or in shots by herself.

Is she there, but doesn't want to speak?  Or is she invisible to the cabbie?  Inquiring minds want to know!

• Love 4

Otto, I think it is Phoebe at the end. Quite a few people on Facebook say it is, so it seems likely.

Also about all the various characters and plots- I guess I don't necessarily see this as a negative. I personally don't like the Carlos story, but I've seen quite a few comments on Facebook saying how much others love it. I'm interested enough in Noah, Tommy, and Malina (and even Ren) that I don't mind if there's a plot or two that I kind of tune out. I do agree that sometimes the show seems a little unfocused, but I don't mind that there's a variety to appeal to more viewers.

The blood storyline annoyed me since that's just basic high school genetics.  If 1 parent is O negative, they can only receive other O negative blood and also the child's blood type is essentially determined by the other parent.  If the other parent happens to be AB positive, the kid has 0% chance of being O negative.  The seemed to be using stock dialogue about bone marrow donors or some such.  And you're telling me that a hospital was completely out of O negative blood and the nearest was in another state.

Interesting about mutant status being detectable through blood.

• Love 6

And you're telling me that a hospital was completely out of O negative blood and the nearest was in another state.

No kidding!  And I'm pretty sure they said the location was South Bend, Indiana, which is all the way at the northern border of IN.  So the closer (to Carbondale) cities of St. Louis, Louisville, Springfield, and Nashville (to name a few just by looking at a map) all were fresh out of O negative?  Sure, show.  Suuuure.  Unless they were specifically trying to lure him into using his powers?  I guess it's possible, assuming they were somehow aware of what he could do.

• Love 2

It was definitely Phoebe at the end, looking all Enchantress.

I was really hoping for Molly to reunite with Matt Parkman or Noah, and I always liked the character, so seeing her go out this way was disappointing.

• Love 2

The Mohinder voice over is back. On the one hand, it's a classic hallmark of Heroes. On the other... it's Mohinder blathering on about something (usually) unimportant to the plot. 

The odds aren't in the favour of the returning Heroes, are they? The Haitian died, Molly offed herself, and there's still a handful of returnees to come. Are they all going to die? 

One of the annoying bits of this episode (the blood being accepted by a teenager who should have had no way to get it being the other) was the daughter helping out HRG by getting him into the facility and helping him find Molly. I know she wanted to find her boyfriend, but it seemed a little too easy. I kept expecting it to blow up in HRG's face but no. Maybe in the future? She just seemed to switch sides too easily and without much convincing. Maybe it's the actress. I don't remember seeing her in anything else but she doesn't seem that good to me. 

• Love 2

Oh, Tommy, not your brightest idea. I was expecting the doctor to tell him he's not actually related to his mom. Is O Negative that uncommon of a blood type? I didn't think it was. I still want to know who his dad is, darn it. Was that Homeland Security or Renautus agents at the hospital?

All negative blood types are fairly rare. O is more common then A, B, and AB blood though.

Currently only about 8% of the US Caucasian population is O neg, and it's even rarer among other races.

It doesn't justify a decent sized hospital not having a supply though, especially since it's the universal donor blood and blood drives are known to specificially campaign for O neg donors.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

Arctic girl was being hunted by groups on snowmobiles, and nothing happens.  The auroras in the middle of the day seems kind of dumb -- no one should even notice them they would be so dim compared to daylight.

Renautus has some of the shittiest security on the planet.

With all those monarch butterflies hanging around in the Arctic, this is starting to feel like 'Under the Dome' -- and that ain't a good thing.

And now we've got two shows using the term 'Inhuman'.  Yay !! </sarcasm>

ETA: I was also disappointed that the car that slammed into the car with Tommy and his mom was just a drunk driver -- I figured for sure it was Renautus so that was a big letdown.

And who is this baby that Mrs. Cravid wants killed ?

Yes, the security is atrocious.  

I swear I saw bubbles in water when the car crash happened at the end of last week's episode.  I was expecting the car to be somewhere else when thie week picked up.  And the hospital and police don't question how Mom got to be in the middle of the hospital hallway?

The "baby" that she wants killed is Malina, or whatever the blonde girl in the Arctic's name is.

What is Phoebe's power supposed to be?

What I took from it is that this whole plan was set into motion in order for Noah Bennett to save the world. I think HeadBitchInCharge is looking for the girl from the Arctic - who they've been hiding since she was a baby. Noah voluntarily wiped his memory so he would go on this quest and ultimately save the world. Claire may or may not be dead. Perhaps someone saw possible futures and if Noah continued down the path, knowing what was going on, he wouldn't be able to fulfill his destiny and save everyone?

Edited by marcee
  • Love 1
Should I know who that was at the end or is it someone brand new?

What is Phoebe's power supposed to be?

Its definitely Phoebe.  One can see her back-story on the webisodes, Heroes:  Dark Matter.  Her power is shadow manipulation, but obviously its become more powerful and evolved.  Definitely looks like an eventual show-down between dark and light, shadow and life, Phoebe v. Malina.  Since Phoebe started out as a decent person, will our ending include the two meeting and Phoebe's original personality eventually coming back out and forcing her to sacrifice herself for the light/life, followed by being cradled in the arms of her brother as she dies?  You heard it here first folks.

What's interesting is that both sides are claiming they are trying to save the world.

• Love 2

Ren is so adorkable. 

Another blonde teenager needed to save the world. Yawn.

Mrs. Not-Syler needs to go. Now. She is so one-note and I can only look at her angry, scrunched-up face so many times before I really want her to go up in flames.

• Love 4

The Mohinder voice over is back. On the one hand, it's a classic hallmark of Heroes. On the other... it's Mohinder blathering on about something (usually) unimportant to the plot. 

I've been re-watching the first season of the original show, and then when Mohinder started blathering at the end of this one, I realized that even with the original series, what I did was tune out and chill while his voice washed over me. If someone asked me what he said immediately after it played, I wouldn't know. As my daughter and I say, he's boring, but pretty.

It's sunshine boy's wife that gets to me the most - she is just so gleeful about killing. Even with a "mission" after a terrible event, it just doesn't seem likely that someone would be that into killing if they were a normal person to begin with. Feel compelled to do it, maybe. But enjoying it - not so much.

The scene with Miko and Ren in the cab has me convinced that she is a game character that is invisible to most of the world.  The camera shots through the windshield into the cab show Ren and the driver, but Miko is hidden behind the driver's seat and his head.  He never addresses anything comments to her, but only to Ren.  Miko is only shown in two-shots with Ren or in shots by herself.

Is she there, but doesn't want to speak?  Or is she invisible to the cabbie?  Inquiring minds want to know!

The crowd did see her at the end, at least it seemed like it to me.

• Love 2

I'm so sick of Zach Levi's character. "I embarked on a campaign of mass murder to fix my marriage, but at least I'm sad about it. And now that I discovered I'm Evo too, I'm having second thoughts." Screw that pseudo-redemptive noise.

So he also copied Sylar's character switch along with his black cap.

• Love 2
All negative blood types are fairly rare. O is more common then A, B, and AB blood though.

Currently only about 8% of the US Caucasian population is O neg, and it's even rarer among other races.

That's what I thought--it's only slightly less common than being left-handed.  Now if they were in Asia, that might be a plot point.  

Since it is universal donor, hospitals go through more of it than other types, and there's a nationwide blood shortage, but mostly it's an example of being more tripped up by a small fiction than a big one (O negative vs. superpowers are real.)

Logically, they would have burned off halfway, then had frayed edges, and he should have a face and hands covered in soot.  (This is especially true if I don't know the meaning of "logically".)

So he also copied Sylar's character switch along with his black cap.

In fairness, that nonsense was largely kept out of Sylar's character until later seasons. He was a pretty good villain in season one, but they chickened out on having the finale be his deserved end, unfortunately.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

I foresee a face-off between Sun Boy, er I mean Luke, and Shadow Lass, er Phoebe.

From what I saw of the pre-series shorts Phoebe also temporarily negated the powers of some other evos.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the government goons who picked up Tommy turned out the be good goons who were actually concerned about the disappearances and murders of evos and were perhaps even trying to investigate Renautas. But that's probably too much to hope for.

If I were trying to grill Erica for answers the first thing I would ask her was what ever possessed her to pick out that awful carpet. 

• Love 1

Meh. I don't find Ren adorable at all. They need to give me some juicy information on Malina. It's all cryptic, because this show is a mess. Zachary Levi's character has been so predictable since day 1. I really, really wanted to love this. I wanted to give the new heroes a chance to shine in a related, but new story. At this point, I've given up on that ever happening. Just give me some camps with the originals, and that'll do.

And to dissent again, I loved the Mohinder narrations, I find his voice so soothing and relaxing. I'm glad they're here too.

• Love 2

It doesn't justify a decent sized hospital not having a supply though, especially since it's the universal donor blood and blood drives are known to specificially campaign for O neg donors.

My mother works in the medical field, as a Med Tech for decades, and I remember her telling us that -O  is rare and, it seems that our local Red Cross always announces that they do need -O (and it's only a universal red cell donor while, I believe +O is the universal red cell receiver and way more common, and possibly the most common blood type). Although, it may be rare but it's not like super rare (unlike some other blood types that do exist in very small numbers), but I do know that places like the Red Cross do advertise for -O but they also advertise for other blood types. 

Edited by TVSpectator

I believe +O is the universal red cell receiver and way more common, and possibly the most common blood type). 

AB+ is the universal recipient. And O+ can be given to any Rh+ recipient. IIRC they still prefer to type match exactly, but having extra O around is good in a pinch. Even O+ get love notes from their local blood banks sometimes. :-)

• Love 1

AB+ is the universal recipient. And O+ can be given to any Rh+ recipient. IIRC they still prefer to type match exactly, but having extra O around is good in a pinch. Even O+ get love notes from their local blood banks sometimes. :-)

Okay, thanks for the explanation and now I know why the Red Cross keeps on calling me for making a blood donation. 

• Love 1

I was hoping the dog would turn out to be a shapeshifter and take down Chuck's wife! They seem to barely be able to tolerate each other, which is understandable at this point, but it would have been far more impactful if there were still some spark there that implied that they were once in love and this terrible thing had destroyed them and turned them into the couple we see now.

• Love 3

Nazneen Contractor!  That still might be one of my favorite names ever!  Since she first appeared in the arctic with a prayer rug, is the character is suppose to be Muslim?  If so, then I can only imagine the terror a lot of folks at Fox News and whatnot must be feeling over the idea of a Muslim with superpowers.

Maybe I really needed to re-watch the series again, because I was totally indifferent to Molly killing herself.  Sure, Jack Coleman sold the hell out of Noah's reaction to it, but I'm not all torn up that Molly is no longer around.  I still just want to know what happened to Claire (I'm assuming that being a big country star on Nashville isn't canon.)

I don't know: I just still find myself bored with a lot of these stories.  The Miko actress is charming enough, but I still don't care much about her and if she's a video game character or not.  I feel like Carlos is just becoming a bizarre mixture of Batman and Iron Man's origin stories (maybe with a bit of Netflix's Daredevil thrown in.)  And I just hate the couple now.  The wife is just an unlikable psychopath, who doesn't deserve any sympathy, while Zachary Levi seems, at best, like someone who had let his sorrow get the better of him, or, at worst, like someone who is only not wanting to kill because he ends up being an Evo.  Either way, I'm not a fan of either.

I do kind of like Tommy's stuff, but that's probably mainly due to Robbie Kay and the likable supporting cast (even the jock guy is growing on me.)

Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing, but Mohinder's voice-overs made me realize he'd probably fit right in on a future season of True Detective.  They totally need to get Sendhil on that.  He couldn't be worse then Vince Vaughn....

• Love 1

I'm so sick of Zach Levi's character. "I embarked on a campaign of mass murder to fix my marriage, but at least I'm sad about it. And now that I discovered I'm Evo too, I'm having second thoughts." Screw that pseudo-redemptive noise.

Yep. He killed all those people in the support meeting without a second thought (how many of them had a spouse and kids?) but we're supposed to feel sorry for him now? And the wife shoots Evos for fun, but won't shoot the one next to her because of lurrrrrrrve (when I don't even see friendship between these two). Hate this storyline.

It also reeks of the worst part of season 1: Here's a cool person with an interesting power. Oops, they're dead, let's move on.

It's sunshine boy's wife that gets to me the most - she is just so gleeful about killing. Even with a "mission" after a terrible event, it just doesn't seem likely that someone would be that into killing if they were a normal person to begin with. Feel compelled to do it, maybe. But enjoying it - not so much.

See above. The "merry psychopath" is getting old.

========================================================

ETA: When the Pakistani was shown with a prayer rug when she popped up in the Arctic, when sh stopped in the forest, I thought it was going to a one of the times for prayer.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4

And I just hate the couple now.  The wife is just an unlikable psychopath, who doesn't deserve any sympathy, while Zachary Levi seems, at best, like someone who had let his sorrow get the better of him, or, at worst, like someone who is only not wanting to kill because he ends up being an Evo.  Either way, I'm not a fan of either.

I think they established Zachary's character as developing regret and remorse before he discovered he was Evo, so in that case it would be the former of your choices. I also think that he saw what his wife had turned into and it was terrifying him.

I, too, thought it would be prayer time in that stop in the woods.

• Love 1

I am really trying to like this show -- but it is failing on so many points.  Half of the story lines are boring (Arctic girls, masked man, boy in hospital, Katana Girl) and I think that might be become the "heroes" are so young.   They don't seem to understand the ramifications and they should seeing what happened on June 13.  In the original Heroes we had mature people:  Matt, the brothers, Mohinder, etc.   Now, only HRG is over 20.  His bearded sidekick seems to be around -- why?  

Also blood type O negative should be the most plentiful in hospitals because it is the Universal Donor blood type.  Saying its rare is lazy writing.  Same with Katana Girl and her sidekick jumping on an international flight within a couple of hours -- no passport, visa ?, nothing...  Not plausible and takes me right out of the story -- which is shallow at best.

And the black killer woman is over the top with her attitude and mean look.  Her husband knows the killing is wrong but does nothing.  

Sorry about not knowing the new characters' names -- I see many posts about Zachary Levi but I have no idea who he is.  Never saw him in anything else.

Edited by karasmom

I think they established Zachary's character as developing regret and remorse before he discovered he was Evo, so in that case it would be the former of your choices. I also think that he saw what his wife had turned into and it was terrifying him.

I, too, thought it would be prayer time in that stop in the woods.

Cry me a river. He had so much remorse for shooting 5 or 6 people dead, just because they were different.  He shot a room full of non-Evos dead with just a "Oh jeez!"  He's a psychopath too, just a lily-livered one.

• Love 5

In fairness, that nonsense was largely kept out of Sylar's character until later seasons. He was a pretty good villain in season one, but they chickened out on having the finale be his deserved end, unfortunately.

Shame, it would've saved us seasons of back and forth nonsense and having him collect abilities like Pokemon.

• Love 3

Shame, it would've saved us seasons of back and forth nonsense and having him collect abilities like Pokemon.

IIRC the original plan was to move on to mostly new characters in season 2. But Sylar, Pete, Claire, and Hiro were so popular, they didn't want to lose them....then they promptly embarked on a season two where none of those characters did anything that anyone liked (or that even made sense).

• Love 4

IIRC the original plan was to move on to mostly new characters in season 2. But Sylar, Pete, Claire, and Hiro were so popular, they didn't want to lose them....then they promptly embarked on a season two where none of those characters did anything that anyone liked (or that even made sense).

I'm not sure the orginal plan would've been good if this reboot is of any indication.

• Love 4

I have heard about this, that it was Kring's original idea was to focus each season on a new set of characters and to drop the others. Although, from what I have heard was that NBC didn't want Kring to do it, so that is why Kring would blame NBC on the failure of Heroes. Although, from what I have seen from this series is that bringing in new characters isn't the problem (and I would argue that repeating characters  wasn't really one of the major problems that the original Heroes had) with this show, but repeating storylines. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 5

I have heard about this, that it was Kring's original idea was to focus each season on a new set of characters and to drop the others. Although, from what I have heard was that NBC didn't want Kring to do it, so that is why Kring would blame NBC on the failure of Heroes. Although, from what I have seen from this series is that bringing in new characters isn't the problem (and I would argue that repeating characters  wasn't really one of the major problems that the original Heroes had) with this show, but repeating storylines.

I think the problem is that Kring is just not a very good showrunner.

• Love 4

They did try some "new" things in season 2. They were just not good ideas. (Sylar lost his powers, Pete got amnesia, Hiro lost in time). When those ideas went sour, they went back to power stealing and evo hunting.

Some of these were attempts to scale down powers because power stealers like Sylar and Pete got very powerful very quickly, and Hiro is just insanely powerful to begin with. When you choose plot developments to "fix" your characters instead of tell interesting stories, you are headed for trouble. Being able to "move on" to other characters would have been a less forced way to deal with this.  

The biggest mistake, IMHO, was Sylar. His arc was done, and the potential for a satisfying conclusion was right there.

• Love 2

I think the problem is that Kring is just not a very good showrunner.

Exactly, I think he should go back to doing a procedural like Crossing Jordan and leave these kinds of series to maore talented people who can handle them.

They did try some "new" things in season 2. They were just not good ideas. (Sylar lost his powers, Pete got amnesia, Hiro lost in time). When those ideas went sour, they went back to power stealing and evo hunting.

Some of these were attempts to scale down powers because power stealers like Sylar and Pete got very powerful very quickly, and Hiro is just insanely powerful to begin with. When you choose plot developments to "fix" your characters instead of tell interesting stories, you are headed for trouble. Being able to "move on" to other characters would have been a less forced way to deal with this.  

The biggest mistake, IMHO, was Sylar. His arc was done, and the potential for a satisfying conclusion was right there.

Yeah, but if my memory is right, they tried it for a season and a half (and I remember it being a heavily Present Hiro and Peter focused as well. Which for me was horrible because I didn't like Present Hiro and Peter). I do think that having Hiro being stuck in time (Feudal Japan) was a decent idea to do. It did allow us viewers to see that the evos have been around much longer (since Monroe was an evo, like Hiro, Peter, Nathan, Matt, and Claire) than what Mohinder thinks and it was different. By the second half, they returned to something similar with Peter losing his memory and jumping forward in time (and also leaving his Irish girlfriend in a dystopic future) and then working out how to changed the future. 

As with Sylar, I thought that he had the most potential out of all characters, other than HRM, to really be a great character. I thought that the fact that he was actually pretty smart but was still a villain was what they should've stuck with. Instead, they tried to focus on his family issues and Mrs. Petrelli manipulating him because of it.

The thing is, I see parallels with this show and the last show and now we are 4 episodes into a supposed 13 episode season and most of the stories haven't gone anywhere. Instead, we get people speaking cryptically to each other and Mohinder voice overs (also, does anyone else think that we will eventually see a Mohinder cameo?). 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 3
His bearded sidekick seems to be around -- why?

Because it's always best to bring one annoying character from a failed show quickly into another soon to be failed show. Bonus for having said sidekick carry on side-kicking with no visible changes (that pic is from promo for previously mentioned failed show A to Z) or anything, asap? I mean not even a beard trim?? Lazzzzy.

I'm still hanging on by a thread with this one, but I'm glad that our 'Like A Good Neighbor...' evo got busted for his jumping about through space and time (Like a Good Neighbor State Farm is there... with o- blood from Indiana!) because that was when the last one completely lost me with Hiro jumping about in time every 5 seconds at whim.

Edited by Wandering Snark

Maybe things work differently in the US, but I have never known a hospital to not have blood in stock and ready to go, of any blood type.  The idea that a hospital wouldn't have blood available is quite ridiculous to me.