Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

I adore Carla and Zac!  They seem to be really enjoying themselves and embrace the Halloween spirit.  I don't mind Katie.  She seems ok I guess but I do miss Lorraine. 

I kinda like the costumes.  It's Halloween!!  This is a fun, silly show that's not suppose to be taken seriously.  At least I don't think so; I like the idea that the judges dress up for the main challenge. 

The host, John....enh he is a bit annoying but still goofy and fun.

I echo everything you said except that John is annoying. He’s my favorite part of the show (costumes are number 2). After suffering through that excruciatingly painful ventriloquist host a few years ago, I’ll put John in my will if he will promise to stay.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I echo everything you said except that John is annoying. He’s my favorite part of the show (costumes are number 2). After suffering through that excruciatingly painful ventriloquist host a few years ago, I’ll put John in my will if he will promise to stay.

I’ve loved John since Wipeout (a guilty pleasure). 
Mythology nerd here to correct: Paris was given the golden apple. He judged the goddess beauty contest not Zeus.

• Love 7

I enjoy the costumes.  Carla seems to have fun with them and she has the carriage and flair to carry them off.  I suspect that Zac is less enthusiastic about dressing up but he's a good sport about it.  

I just love John Henson.  He's funny and clever and cute and doesn't overdo it.  I wish he'd host all the holiday cooking/baking shows including Halloween Wars.  I don't really dislike Jonathan Bennett but his juvenile goofiness is OTT and gets on my nerves.  

• Love 11

Love John Henson also, he makes me giggle. The costumes don't bother me as I'm more interested in what the bakers made. Although I wonder how long it takes to get that crap off their faces....

Anyone watch Halloween Cake Off? My dvr cut off before they announced this last week's winner(The Cursed)? And since all 3 seemed to have something not perfect enough for the judges, I couldn't guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, luvapickle said:

Love John Henson also, he makes me giggle. The costumes don't bother me as I'm more interested in what the bakers made. Although I wonder how long it takes to get that crap off their faces....

Anyone watch Halloween Cake Off? My dvr cut off before they announced this last week's winner(The Cursed)? And since all 3 seemed to have something not perfect enough for the judges, I couldn't guess.

I watch it--the mother/daughter team won.  They did a Frankenstein and Bride of cake that knocked the socks off of everyone!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

I watch it--the mother/daughter team won.  They did a Frankenstein and Bride of cake that knocked the socks off of everyone!

Many thanks! FN is turning into all the other networks by not airing things on time anymore 🙂

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am shocked that even though I don't have cable that I am still able to catch new episodes of this on Hulu. YAY!

I just realized that myself, because my DVR seems to be on the blink and not recording. I was glad to watch it and with no commercials!

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

John Henson is the best out of all the hosts they've ever had on any of the holiday baking competitions on the Food Network.  There, I said it!  Fight me!

No argument from me.

I don't usually notice John or the previous hosts tasting the dessert results along with the Judges but he was really digging in on the German Chocolate Cake. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, luvapickle said:

@Dirtybubble Thank you so much! I picked the mother-daughter team since the last thing I heard Duff say was about a complete act....I love how enthusiastic he is about the cakes!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, suebee12 said:

@Dirtybubble Thank you so much! I picked the mother-daughter team since the last thing I heard Duff say was about a complete act....I love how enthusiastic he is about the cakes!

I love him. Waylon seems a little more enthusiastic than she has in the past. But Dan Langan, reminds me of Damiano-put a smile on your faces. It's not like these cake people are being lazy in what they are doing. 

2 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

If you are going to reveal results of other shows please spoiler them. Halloween Cake Off has not aired in Canada yet and I was really looking forward to it. 😢

It's only a one-show competition each week, like Chopped, so you have only been spoiled for one episode. It's 4 new bakers each week.

The best judge any baking show has ever had in the history of baking was Ron Ben-Israel. What kills me is that he’d love to return to FN (according to his social media) but there’s nothing but cricket noises from FN. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The best judge any baking show has ever had in the history of baking was Ron Ben-Israel. What kills me is that he’d love to return to FN (according to his social media) but there’s nothing but cricket noises from FN. 

He's a real baker, and he doesn't scream his  head off....clearly he sucks and shouldn't be a judge...     /sarcasm

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

He's a real baker, and he doesn't scream his  head off....clearly he sucks and shouldn't be a judge...     /sarcasm

Yeah, he can’t hold a candle to Pioneer Woman! They always put her on the cookie competitions. Smh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Does anyone else feel like 3D flowers are the laziest twist they have ever had on one of these shows?

And didn't one guy do a bunch of fondant flowers? I am so against fondant that I can't even say it strongly enough. Yuk. Nobody is going to eat that stuff.

• Love 7

They were supposed to be edible 3D flowers!  

My sister once got a fondant cake for my niece because we are dumb and didn’t know and it was the GROSSEST thing we have ever had.  It was like eight years ago and I can still taste the sugar.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

They were supposed to be edible 3D flowers!  

My sister once got a fondant cake for my niece because we are dumb and didn’t know and it was the GROSSEST thing we have ever had.  It was like eight years ago and I can still taste the sugar.

Yeah but they always pull that nonsense on these shows-- as long as it's TECHNICALLY edible, i.e. not immediately toxic, it's fine.  Not just the gross fondant, all of that isomalt would probably give you pretty nasty gastrointestinal distress if you actually ate it.  But it's TECHNICALLY edible so, hey, it's all good.

• Love 2

I prefer something as simple as the 3-d flowers to the usual, 'Now that you're 3/4ths of the way done and your baked good is in the oven add this completely random and difficult to incorporate flavor like licorice or chicken.' 

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
On 10/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, Spunkygal said:

Oh man, my dvr picked up some "best of" Halloween Baking Champion show and some of the scenes had Ron.  I agree he was the best judge out there, and I loved his show too.  I wonder why they pulled the plug on him?  He was entertaining and educational.

I like Henson for Halloween, but I have to admit I like The Bachelor dude for Christmas.

• Love 4

Sheldon needed a bit more experience, I think. 

The last two "twists" were much better. Make an edible flower last week, and eyeball, snake or spider this week. That is something they should be able to pull off late in the game without having to rethink their design so that it doesn't come across as just tossed on at the last minute. The worst is when they give them something with flavor, then complain it doesn't go with the flavors of the original bake. It's hardly something they could fix at the point the twist was issued, yet they do it on all of the holiday baking shows.

• Love 7

Sheldon needs more experience and practice.  Maybe this experience will motivate him to pursue those things or maybe he'll decide he's happy just being a home baker.  He does seem to have latent talent.  

I think Karl, Pete and Julie will be final three (I hope).  Jessica can go any time.  

• Love 11
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Poor Sheldon! His Wednesday was so pitiful. The Uncle Fester cake looked the best.

He definitely has the talent. The face when he started looked great. But like he said he added too much butter, & she melted.....That would have been great for the Wicked Witch.

• Love 6

When I saw that squished up Wednesday face I knew he was going home.  Plus he was kinda getting the loser edit so oh well.  I hope his girlfriend said yes to his marriage proposal.  I thought that was kinda sweet!

Luved the Uncle Fester cake AND the Pugsley cake so I was happy with either win.  Normally I don't like an entire episode geared towards being a commercial for a new movie coming out but I didn't mind this too much.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, dleighg said:

i felt so sorry for Zac with the makeup he was wearing. That stuff all over his entire head including his ears. It must take forever to get it off!

I thought it was a rubber mask that just pulled on over his head.  Maybe I didn't look closely enough.  

Katie lowered her voice to sound more like Wednesday and it was a decided improvement.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Luved the Uncle Fester cake AND the Pugsley cake

I didn't think they were in the same league! I thought it was Karl's win. The judges did not say one negative thing about his work. I'm guessing they don't want him to run away with the game. I also like Pete but his Morticia didn't quite work.

As for the costumes....they were amazing!!! Carla always brings it with hers but tonight Zac and Katie Lee were spot on. I know how much people don't like Katie but she was so into character last night!!!

• Love 8
13 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I started watching this on Hulu. The third episode hasn't shown up yet. Does anyone know the time in between when it airs on FN and then Hulu?

It says on the Hulu page that it will be on October 14th.

• Love 1

I have been watching the reruns of season three, the one Jasmine wins, and she is not very nice, and she really does not take criticism well. Jessica is just as bad. This was not a good season, in my opinion.

• Love 2

Jocelyn had to go. Her pie was a hot mess. Mr. Hyde looked like a zombie pimp! 
Glad Carl won. 

12 hours ago, Maya said:

A stack of crepes and buttercream doesn’t sound very good to me. Has anyone here tried a crepe cake? 

Never even heard of one before. I must say the crepe layers on Carl’s cake were amazing.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

I could be wrong but I think something similar to a crepe cake was one of the challenges on the Great British Bake Off. I don’t recall which season it was.  Of course, I think it had a more interesting European sounding name on that show than crepe cake.

• Love 1

I can't believe the judges were split on who should go. The fact that they had to argue that she had to lose due to a "technicality" in the rules is ludicrous. She did not make a pie!

It would have been an absolute travesty if she had stayed and the other guy went. (it's obvious I never learn anyone's name on these shows 🙂 )

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

I can't believe the judges were split on who should go. The fact that they had to argue that she had to lose due to a "technicality" in the rules is ludicrous. She did not make a pie!

It would have been an absolute travesty if she had stayed and the other guy went. (it's obvious I never learn anyone's name on these shows 🙂 )

Totally agree!  I couldn’t believe when John said it was a split vote — what????  Her “pie” was drippy and borderline inedible and I feel sure they were being generous when they said it tasted good.  

• Love 4
On 10/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, kj4ever said:

I like Henson for Halloween, but I have to admit I like The Bachelor dude for Christmas.

Me too!!! I find the Bachelor dude to be a competent and inoffensive host. Lively enough but not grating. Also he's very easy on the eyes so he ticks all my boxes!

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Me too!!! I find the Bachelor dude to be a competent and inoffensive host. Lively enough but not grating. Also he's very easy on the eyes so he ticks all my boxes!

I noticed that John Henson is always sitting down at the judges table, but he is the only one I have seen do this. I wonder if he is ok. 

And the bachelor dude is my favorite, second to Bobby Deen.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, oldCJ said:

New rule: anyone who mispronounces mascarpone should be banned from baking shows. 

That would eliminate 3/4 of the chefs on the network too.  🙂  Even people who should know better like Waylan and Geoffrey Zakarian always mispronounce it.  

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

what was Pete's advantage for winning the pre-heat?

He got to choose the ingredient he had to use in his pie.  He picked cream cheese.

I thought the loser was clear cut.  I would have been incensed if they'd eliminated Pete.  I liked the woman who left but sheeesh................

• Love 4