Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

On 1/30/2018 at 11:56 PM, statsgirl said:

Carly went right back Sonny later. I doubt Obrecht is going back to Faison. She was genuinely willing to kill him. She might yet now that Nathan's dead.

Sure, but it's still a bit much for obrecht to yell at Anna.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

I had a very MST3K experience watching the show today. A few moments that either had me going WTF or just had me laughing for random reasons. Like Nina's line about going into Nathan's room when he was asleep. Thanks, Edward Cullen that's not creepy at all.  What was even weirder was she didn't really specify when she did that. Was she just a kid? Was she in her teens? The older she was, the creepier that sounds. And her line after that about how even then Nathan was making the world safer was odd. Was that supposed to mean that because she was watching Nathan sleep she wasn't off doing crazy things? Even if that's the case, the line still jumped out at me as very stupid.

When Liesl told Maxie that she used to think that Maxie was just fluff but now knows she was wrong I kind of wanted Maxie to say "I used to think you were a psycho and now..." and just have her walk away without finishing the sentence. I know Maxie wouldn't do that with everything going on, but it still doesn't entirely sit right with me Maxie being all chummy with Liesl.

I guess I was the only one, when Nina talked about her and Nathan growing up in a penthouse on the Upper East Side, who had the theme song from The Jeffersons pop into their head. And now, all I can think is, Nathan really is going up to that deluxe apartment in the sky. I'm sure his heavenly accommodations will be made of wood befitting their wooden occupant.

I never really hated Nathan, but I hated the Nathan/Maxie pairing and always found RP an extremely limited actor. At best, there were moments I thought he managed to sound like a real human and do okay, but more often than not I thought he was godawful. For most of today's episode I just thinking 'Damn, can he just die already?' Thank you RP for leaving and godspeed. Lord knows people with less talent have somehow been able to make it in Hollywood.

2 hours ago, ulkis said:

I actually liked Lulu's line about a hateful part being grateful that it wasn't your husband being shot. I'd take it a step further and have Maxie express an unwilling resentment against Dante that Dante is fine and Nathan is not.

I agree. I knew it wouldn't win her any fans with the people who already dislike her but it felt like one of those rare, on GH, real human moments where you admit something you know is horrible but can't help feeling anyway.

Though Lulu really did need to slow her roll at the hospital. It was very arrogant of her to go there and think she could just walk into the room when she could see that his real immediate family was still waiting patiently outside. I'm sure it was her guilt causing her to be so desperate to be there at Maxie's side, but it still wasn't a good look.

The whole Peter/Henrik thing is definitely confusing. If Faison gave the job to Peter to take care of Jason then he should know what he looks like. It's possible that Peter and Faison staged the whole thing at Crimson, but that doesn't make sense. It didn't seem like Faison knew who Peter was when he showed up at Crimson - and this was before there was anyone else there. Why would they keep up any charade when it was just the two of them? And it does seem like Peter has been trying to lure Faison to PC and that Faison is pissed that Peter betrayed him, so I doubt they cooked up any scheme together. Could be possible that Peter had plastic surgery after he double-crossed Faison.

Anyone remember when Carly came to Alexis and said they should band together to protect their kids from Sonny because of what Sonny did to Jax, and Alexis lit into her about how Carly helped him do that? That should have been Anna's response to Obrecht. 

Yes! It was pretty galling to me that Liesl mocked PC's pathetic form of justice (which ok that's true) when Liesl has benefitted greatly from PC's crappy justice system. She's gotten away with way too many crimes. She was happily Faison's lackey for a long time and did horrible things for him, but now that her son got shot she's all Mama Bear Justice Seeker. Yeah, just, no.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Anyone remember when Carly came to Alexis and said they should band together to protect their kids from Sonny because of what Sonny did to Jax, and Alexis lit into her about how Carly helped him do that? That should have been Anna's response to Obrecht. 

I remember this!! It, was. epic.  Alexis did not hold back she let the Carly truthbombs fly.

• Love 9

I didn't mind Lulu's comment about being relieved it wasn't Dante who was shot--that seemed like a natural reaction.  What was typical idiotic Lulu behavior was thinking she could just prance into Nathan's ICU room while his actual family was still waiting to see him.  What a Carly move.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I remember this!! It, was. epic.  Alexis did not hold back she let the Carly truthbombs fly.

Such an awesome set of scenes. "Who's we? There is no 'we.' Go talk to yourself in the mirror." God, I wish people got to tell Carly off like that anymore.

Bonus - this was the episode NLG submitted when she won her second Emmy.

• Love 7

Lulu, it's hardly a secret, let alone a dirty little one, that cops' families want them to come home alive and well. And survivor's guilt isn't exactly unknown, either. Ugh. I don't mind Lulu being relieved Dante wasn't the one who got shot—that's perfectly normal—but she so self-indulgent (? not sure what word I mean) when she was talking to Peter about it. 

2 hours ago, ulkis said:

KSt did a good job, but I was taken out of the scene because of the film quality/camerawork in the bathroom scene.

It suddenly went all cinéma-vérité. Very odd.

I prefer Ryan Paevey to Wes Ramsey (and it has nothing to do with WR banging LW). There, I said it! 

31 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Carly didn't even get to have a parting shot. Delightful. 

Not only that, Alexis presents her with divorce papers and tells her to sign them to as Jax's last wish! Awesome.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Yes! It was pretty galling to me that Liesl mocked PC's pathetic form of justice (which ok that's true) when Liesl has benefitted greatly from PC's crappy justice system. She's gotten away with way too many crimes. She was happily Faison's lackey for a long time and did horrible things for him, but now that her son got shot she's all Mama Bear Justice Seeker. Yeah, just, no.

But....but....Nathan and his mama had such a sweet relationship. Remember all those scenes and all those times that relationship was nurtured and developed?

oh wait.

2 hours ago, jsbt said:

God, he's finally dead.

He couldn't take his mother, father, and sister with him? Fuck, he ended up as useless as he started.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Because Obrecht is his mother. I'm pretty sure relatives aren't allowed to operate/treat their husbands/wives/parents/children.  Goes back to that riddle where a father and son were in an accident and the surgeon says they can't operate, because he is their child. And I recall so many kept coming up with different guesses, and it never occurred to anyone the surgeon was the boy's mother. Even The Cosby Show put the riddle to Cliff, who FAILED it abysmally.

Then there's this.

That riddle has been around since at least All in the Family (the first time I heard it).  I occasionally break that riddle out, and people are still failing.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, nilyank said:

I'm also okay with Kiki's path to medical. Before coming to Port Charles, she was attending Vassar College.

SHE was attending Vassar? Okay, sure.  I thought she met Morgan @ college-- and wasn't he @ Vanderbilt? One's in New York and one's in Tennessee? (is there another Vasser-- in Tennesse that I don't know about? Perhaps there's a Vassar Trade School for Computer Programming and Restaurant Management?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:
16 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I think Jason's brain damage is why he is such an "efficient" hit man.  Because of the areas of his brain that controls fear and panic were damaged, he was able to become "Stone Cold" (tm Spinelli).  His reactions to dangerous situations are as if he were on autopilot, he does think about what he is doing he acts on instinct.  In the early days after the accident Jason and his family were struggling to deal with his loss of memory.  Like many brain injury patients, he became very angry with his family.  Sonny swooped in and filled a void in Jason's life.  Sonny encouraged Jason's anger and taught him how to live life as a mob enforcer.  I don't think Jason would have become a hired killer if it were not for Sonny taking advantage of a brain damaged young man.

So you see where my problem is with what Faison said, that they couldn't use Jason for whatever (there was a lot of mumbling in those scenes) because of his brain damage. It's because of the brain damage that Sonny was able to shape Jason into what he became.

Yeah, this is where I call bullshit. If Faison and Helena wanted to control Jason, he'd kneel on a wooden box and mumble about loyalty, while Helena would have put on a blonde wig and whine about "her bestest friend".

Jason is the most deadliest hitman EVAH, able to put a bullet into a person (out of range) where it would do PRECISELY the most damage without killing said person.... Oh, he can also get information by putting pressure on a critical patient after slipping into his room.... yeah, where's the cat to throw at the TV?.....

The teaser for Wednesday's show should have been (*whoooooosh*)

Aaaaand-Its-Gone.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, nilyank said:

Sonny said why would Faison try to take Maxie from the most secured building in Port Charles

The Metro Court? The most secured building? Even after Casa Mumblefuck?

...where's that cat to toss against the TV.....?

• Love 3

Maxie can't catch a break. I feel so bad for her. How about they stop pairing her up with cops? This is too much. Nathan was a bit boring, but I did love them as a couple and he was nice to look at. Hopefully Kirsten will get some good material from this. Being that this IS General Hospital, I won't be surprised if Nathan doesn't return in a few years, maybe with the same face. No one truly dies on this show.

• Love 7

The more I think about Lulu insisting to be let into Nathan's ICU room, the more angry I get. It wasn't about comforting Maxie at all. It was about Lulu convincing herself she wasn't at fault for what happened. If she really cared about Maxie and Nathan, she'd have accepted the refusal with good grace and then asked if there was anything she could do—make phone calls, bring some food or a change of clothes, take in the mail and water the plants, etc. Lulu sucks.

4 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

SHE was attending Vassar? Okay, sure.  I thought she met Morgan @ college-- and wasn't he @ Vanderbilt? One's in New York and one's in Tennessee?

Morgan and Lauren met when Lauren arranged a poker game in NYC (I think) that included Morgan. I think he was supposed to be the pigeon for it, but I don't remember. It was when that other actor played Lauren, and I've tried to block that time out of my memory.

Why Faison took Jason is never going to make sense to me. Faison couldn't have found some sociopath to turn into a super soldier? It's all so stupid. I'd rather the reason be something like Faison was upset Sonny controlled the shipping lanes. At least that's straightforward, if idiotic. But this convoluted nonsense is just that. And of course Drew "knows more than [he] realizes." Argh.

Edited by dubbel zout
tightening things up a smidge
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, MitaJo said:

Being that this IS General Hospital, I won't be surprised if Nathan doesn't return in a few years, maybe with the same face. No one truly dies on this show.

I will laugh myself off my sofa if Nathan comes back programmed as a super soldier. Faison's plan finally succeeds, even if he has to use his own son!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Morgan and Lauren met when Lauren arranged a poker game in NYC (I think) that included Morgan. I think he was supposed to be the pigeon for it, but I don't remember. It was when that other actor played Lauren, and I've tried to block that time out of my memory.

I think it had something to do with Ava/Julian/Fluke's (STILL) incomprehensible plan to take over Sonny's territory. 

13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I prefer Ryan Paevey to Wes Ramsey (and it has nothing to do with WR banging LW). There, I said it! 

Me, too. I also find Sabato Jr attractive, particularly during his GH years.

I'll miss Paevey. I think the Maxie/Nathan pairing was a good one, but even when KS wasn't out having a baby or on medical leave, they didn't give him enough decent storylines to give him a chance to grow as an actor. That advice column thing and teaming with Amy was stupid.

I knew Nathan was a goner as soon as I saw Maxie in the Jackie Kennedy-esque coat. I'm still sorry he's gone, though. I'm glad he chose to leave (rather than being let go). I'm a little puzzled that they'd kill him off, although I guess now that he's so connected to Faison, they can always bring him back in some stupid way that further insults our intelligence. 

KS is knocking her scenes out of the park. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Looks-wise, definitely prefer Paevey. Talent-wise, definitely Ramsey. He hasn't had much to do on GH yet, but most of the time he convincingly passes as a human instead of driftwood which puts him miles ahead of Paevey. And outside of GH, I always loved him on <i>Charmed</i> and I thought he was great in the movie <i>Latter Days.</i> I've never seen any of Paevey's Hallmark movies so have no idea what he's like outside of GH.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Looks-wise, definitely prefer Paevey. Talent-wise, definitely Ramsey. He hasn't had much to do on GH yet, but most of the time he convincingly passes as a human instead of driftwood which puts him miles ahead of Paevey. And outside of GH, I always loved him on <i>Charmed</i> and I thought he was great in the movie <i>Latter Days.</i> I've never seen any of Paevey's Hallmark movies so have no idea what he's like outside of GH.

I agree. And I really didn't want to have one inch of room to compliment the guy cause it annoys me that he's dating LW, but he also seems to have chemistry with more people than RP did. Not that I wouldn't swap him out with another actor, but vis a vis RP i think he's better. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

Please don't say we were supposed to be shocked - shocked! - that Peter is Faison's other son. Where is his guard on his room if all these people can go traipsing in and out??

I'm sorry if this makes me sound awful but Dr. O and Nina's pain did nothing for me. Dante promising to take care of Maxie and the baby, and of course all of Maxie's scenes, wrecked me.

• Love 11

OMG Peter August is the other Faison sozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  That Frank either cast or, worse, invented this role, the subversion of a classic GH villain, because he ran into Laura Wright's boyfriend at the john or whatever is just...

Hypocritical as her pain may be, Dr. O raining misery down on anyone and everyone around her, particularly Lulu, would be soapy fun times for me.

Previews...oooh, Scotty talking smack about Kevin, I'm intrigued!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What is up with that?! Dude straight up had an affair with Kevin's wife and he's calling HIM crazy?

Scotty's not one for tact, heh. 

And Kevin does have a bit of a checkered mental history, if memory serves.  I'm curious what Scotty in particular is referring to.

If only this didn't involve Franco, blech.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, General Days said:

Me, too. I also find Sabato Jr attractive, particularly during his GH years.

I'll miss Paevey. I think the Maxie/Nathan pairing was a good one, but even when KS wasn't out having a baby or on medical leave, they didn't give him enough decent storylines to give him a chance to grow as an actor. That advice column thing and teaming with Amy was stupid.

I knew Nathan was a goner as soon as I saw Maxie in the Jackie Kennedy-esque coat. I'm still sorry he's gone, though. I'm glad he chose to leave (rather than being let go). I'm a little puzzled that they'd kill him off, although I guess now that he's so connected to Faison, they can always bring him back in some stupid way that further insults our intelligence. 

KS is knocking her scenes out of the park. 

I'm waiting for someone to offer a change of clothes, and for Maxie to respond:  "Oh, no ... I want them to see what they have done to [him]".

• Love 6
1 minute ago, TeeVee329 said:

Hypocritical as her pain may be, Dr. O raining misery down on anyone and everyone around her, particularly Lulu, would be soapy fun times for me.

Same here. KG is very entertaining when Liesl is in revenge mode, and the writers step up their dialogue game a bit. (Sliding scale, natch.)

I liked how KSt played Maxie's grief—she's shattered but isn't completely falling apart. (When Maxie was talking to dead Nathan, you could see him breathe. Oh, Ryan.) Nina, on the other hand? Screeching "Murderer!" and falling into Valentin's arms was probably in character for Nina, since she's usually overly dramatic, but sheesh.

I know they had to give Dante one last scene with Nathan so Dante could say he'd take care of Maxie and the baby, but I wish Maxie had put the sheet over Nathan. She earned that.

I enjoyed Jordan telling Stella that Nathan died in the line of duty. That knocked Stella off her high horse. Ugh, I wish they'd stop writing her as such a one-note character. VW-J deserves so much better than being a haranguer all the time.

• Love 11

Dante shattered my heart when he told Nathan not to worry about Maxie and the baby because Dante's "got them." That line, coupled with Maxie breaking down over the blood-splattered ultrasound picture, was perfectly tragic and sorrowful. I also enjoyed the dissonance between everyone's pain and Peter smugly relishing his victory over Faison. Even though the Peter/Henrik reveal was obvious, his presence has had a ripple effect on nearly all of the other characters. Individual storylines are now intertwined with Peter at the root, and I think for once the show's creation of a brand new character has been really effectively implemented.

• Love 18

Everyone talking about how Maxie's life went from light to dark in a few hours is understandable—except that everyone lives in Port Charles, where deadly violence is woven into the fabric of the town.

32 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

OMG Peter August is the other Faison sozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

IK,R? Don't bring on a brand-new character two weeks before a big reveal if you want your audience to be surprised.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Where is his guard on his room if all these people can go traipsing in and out??

Right.  The guard was there to stop Nina from going in but conveniently not there when Peter went in.  

I don't hate ER like everyone else does, but good lord, girlfriend CANNOT cry.  I mean, I can't stand MSt and yet, she had me crying at different spots.  Dominic, had me crying.  Vinessa, when Jordan announces it to her other staff, had me crying and it goes without saying that Kristen had me crying.  But ER, nothing, in fact she was just annoying me with whatever it was she was doing.  

Edited by Perkie
  • Love 3

Oh, also?  Lucas (who?), still missing.  It's completely unbelievable to me that he was involved in Nathan's medical care and then, poof, disappeared like he's just some rando and not HIS COUSIN'S HUSBAND WHAT THE HELL!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, General Days said:

I'll miss Paevey. I think the Maxie/Nathan pairing was a good one, but even when KS wasn't out having a baby or on medical leave, they didn't give him enough decent storylines to give him a chance to grow as an actor.

Alternatively, he could've taken acting classes and maybe learned to do the job that he was given despite lacking experience...and talent

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

,Alternatively, he could've taken acting classes and maybe learned to do the job that he was given despite lacking experience...and talent

Okay then. I didn't mean to offend you by noting that I liked him, but didn't think they gave him decent storylines, but it seems I have. Perhaps I'm not being fair to the story-craft the writers poured into Ask Man Landers, not to mention l'affaire Levi Dunkleman. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

I'm sorry if this makes me sound awful but Dr. O and Nina's pain did nothing for me.

I'll be more awful and say no one's pain moved me that much. I think the closest I was to somewhat moved was Nina's breakdown outside Faison's room, Jordan's talk with Curtis, and Maxie's breakdown at the end and that was mostly because I think the bloody sonogram was a really effective image.

Nepotism or not, I'm liking what WR is doing with this role. Yes, the reveal today was anti-climactic as hell but I thought Peter and Faison's scenes were entertaining and soapy and that AH and WR had good chemistry together. 

I know there's not a chance in hell of this happening this being GH and all, but I would love it if Sam was able to figure out who Peter really was. I don't know if they told her to do this or not, but there were a couple of times after Peter was talking to them and Sam kept looking like she was slightly suspicious of Peter. 

• Love 2

Dante talking to dead Nathan about not worrying about Maxie and the baby did me in, but that ultrasound picture splattered with blood and Maxie's reaction just capped everything off. 

RP got a much better send off than a lot of veteran actors of many many years. 

I'm down with the Peter August in Faison's room, taunting him like that. Quiet anger, not ragey or screamy like Nina. Sucks when it's someone you love who is killed, doesn't it, Nina.

It was overall pretty soapy. I'm assuming we have Nathan's funeral around the corner. RP may not have been able to act, but Nathan was genuinely one of the good guys on the show and there is a shortage of those.

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, Linny said:

Maxie breaking down over the blood-splattered ultrasound picture

That was very moving, I agree, and I really liked that Felicia and Mac immediately moved in to hug and comfort Maxie.

The big surprise for me these past few episodes is that Nathan's death has been handled pretty well, generally speaking. I'm sure it will all go into the weeds soon enough, but for now it's been affecting.

• Love 20
24 minutes ago, Linny said:

Dante shattered my heart when he told Nathan not to worry about Maxie and the baby because Dante's "got them." That line, coupled with Maxie breaking down over the blood-splattered ultrasound picture, was perfectly tragic and sorrowful. I also enjoyed the dissonance between everyone's pain and Peter smugly relishing his victory over Faison. Even though the Peter/Henrik reveal was obvious, his presence has had a ripple effect on nearly all of the other characters. Individual storylines are now intertwined with Peter at the root, and I think for once the show's creation of a brand new character has been really effectively implemented.

I could actually see a storyline where Dante takes Maxie's side over Lulu's insistence on continuing to write about Faison/Nathan, ending with Dante falling in love with Maxie.  It would be similar to the New York firefighters who dumped their wives for their buddy's 9/11 widows.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Quiet anger, not ragey or screamy like Nina. Sucks when it's someone you love who is killed, doesn't it, Nina.

Lulu did wrong, absolutely. She didn't think this through and should have stopped when she saw how frightened Maxie was for herself and the baby about Faison. She probably shouldn't have even breached the idea of the article to Nathan. But I am dreading, absolutely dreading, Nina screeching at Lulu about how Lulu is at fault for killing her brother/cousin. (Who killed Lulu's brother, Nina? Hm?)

• Love 9
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Lulu did wrong, absolutely. She didn't think this through and should have stopped when she saw how frightened Maxie was for herself and the baby about Faison. She probably shouldn't have even breached the idea of the article to Nathan. But I am dreading, absolutely dreading, Nina screeching at Lulu about how Lulu is at fault for killing her brother/cousin. (Who killed Lulu's brother, Nina? Hm?)

There is a difference there--that being that Nina had nothing to do with Nikolas's death.  She didn't even know Valentin then.  Whereas Lulu, Girl Reporter, played a part in luring Faison to town and has a direct correlation to Nathan being shot.  

Besides, Lulu has raged at Nina, so why should Nina give her a pass?

• Love 6

The storylines they gave Nathan WERE bad but I think that's pretty much what he could do imo. Even his reaction to Maxie telling him she was pregnant was delivered weirdly. 

Maxie and Michael should bond over their shitty relationship records.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Maxie and Michael should bond over their shitty relationship records.

Maxie has more dead bodies in her wake, but Michael wins because he was on the phone with his gf when she got *hit by a crane.*  I mean...

• Love 12
39 minutes ago, General Days said:

Okay then. I didn't mean to offend you by noting that I liked him, but didn't think they gave him decent storylines, but it seems I have. Perhaps I'm not being fair to the story-craft the writers poured into Ask Man Landers, not to mention l'affaire Levi Dunkleman. 

Wasn't personal - unless you're RP, in which case goodbye and good luck. If not, the fact that you like him doesn't mean that other opinions are an insult.

Also? saying that RP isn't talented isn't some implicit compliment to the storytelling. The stories were bad and RP was bad in them. In four years he hasn't had one  stand-out scene. He got a lot of screentime, he performed scenes written by multiple screen-writers, and nothing in any of those performances indicated that a better story arc would've made him a better actor.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I could see things getting emotionally messy between Maxie and Dante, possibly an affair, but I can't really picture either one straight up falling for the other.

I do think Lulu and Laura Wright's Boyfriend/Faison's Son (LWB/FS going forward) are going to bone at some point.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

OMG Peter August is the other Faison sozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So let me get this straight, Faison, a character that has not been shown on the canvas for years now has not one but two sons (RIP Nathan that was sad), yet characters who are full timers sit around with nothing to do but prop up Sonny and Friends or get involved in lame half assed stories.

How about write some stories for the characters we see every day instead of recycling old stories or bringing in even more new people we don't care about??  God, this show.

• Love 8