Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Please, please tell me that they are not telegraphing Sonny & Carly getting back together.  Surely that well is dry, that story completely wrung out.  Right?  RIGHT????  I hope it really is just to get Franco upset enough to rat out Sonny, rather than Sonny & Carly actually even considering another go of it.

Nathan and Anna need to hook up.  She seems to enjoy him shirtless (understandable).    

Surprisingly, I find myself enjoying the Franco/ Dr. O show.  Well played by both actors, I thought.  Trust me, no one is more shocked than I am by this revelation.

I said I don't mind the kids, and even kind of like them sometimes.  You know what changes that?  Having Sonny and Carly there with them.  Now I hate the kids.

Finally, I think there's some sort of code or message in Ric's letter to Molly, and she's going to figure it out and know that he's alive.  This is based on nothing, really, other than me wanting it to be true.  

• Love 1

Dr. O's renewed vows today to make Anna pay for what she did (or didn't do) to Faison reminded me that Kathleen Gati and Finola Hughes haven't had a scene together in FOREVER and that needs to change immediately.  Those two are always awesome when they square off.

• Love 7

Agreed on HP today. For me, she's really hit it out of the park with this storyline, which I wasn't sure she'd be able to do. I think she's certainly earned whatever screen time and stories she gets in the future, and I hope TPTB have taken notice. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if her voice dropped a couple octaves. 

she's not on contract, and if I were her I don't think it would be a good choice to go on one. This way she can be on GH and audition for stuff and go and do it without having to get permission from GH.

• Love 1
(edited)

That said, I do have to wonder what segment of the audience the story is being written for. Perhaps the writers assume that the grandmothers watching the show will find the kids precocious? 

The segment behind the camera where the crew and the writers' room are hanging on every word they can clumsily jam into Spencer and Emma's mouths.

I like the idea of Lila's Kids; I like the idea of using kids on soaps and using them in an appropriate way in a little storyline, I always have. I have no problem with any of that stuff they did with that setup and day camp or summer camp or whatever (I used to work at a summer day camp for years in high school, so that hits home for me). What I have a problem with is the kids being written as totally precocious, post-modern cartoons by writers amusing themselves - they're just sort of coin-operated gag machines, not real little people, and both the characters and writers are worth more than that. Plus, all of the kids except Joss can barely deliver lines, let alone jokes. Spencer is hilarious in doses, Emma can be adorable with her parents, but the story's on too much, the kids can do virtually anything while the little performers barely can, and if you don't humanize them and stop just hamming it up for the sake of making each other crack up behind the scenes, what's the point of the story? Claire Labine and her people would've made this both funny and relatable to humanity. I have a lot of time for humor, even RC's brand of humor, I always have, even with some of the wilder stories most decried on OLTL but I loved. But those had a human core. These kids, too often, don't.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I don't like soap kids in general, mostly because the kids always tend to be on the cloying and/or the precocious side, even with decent stories. I'd rather they got trotted out just for birthday parties or Christmas. This story is written so age-inappropriately it makes me cringe. Which is too bad, because I agree with jsbt that in scenes with their parents, the kids are somewhat bearable.

• Love 1

All you'd have to do is one day where someone says something thoughtless to snarky little princess Spencer about his dead mom, and he bursts into tears and runs off and someone has to go find him at Courtney's grave. Or Emma or Cameron comfort him because they also lost Gabriel or Jake, or Cameron's bio-dad (Zander). Or Spencer showing that the only person he bows to is Grandma Lesley, who spent a lot of time looking after him in Europe. Something human and visceral. That gives an allowance for a lot of the other silliness, so long as you show one human note. I don't ask for much.

• Love 3

I dislike Sonny more than there are words to describe it, and the kids bore me and are a waste of airtime in my opinion, but MB is so great with the kids. He seems like he's happy and enjoying the scenes he gets to do with Spencer, and it's actually nice to see a spark of light in his eyes. So much better than yelly, angry apologies and whisper threats! 

They should write some sort of SL where Sonny decides to atone for all he's done wrong by being the camp counsellor or something. 

• Love 4

They should write some sort of SL where Sonny decides to atone for all he's done wrong by being the camp counsellor or something. 

Like Meatballs?

• Love 2

So Franco is going around now talking to anyone who'll listen about how afraid he is of losing Carly to Sonny? They should just do an entire episode of him lying in a dark room, clutching a pillow, and listening to Fiona Apple songs.

• Love 5

So Franco is going around now talking to anyone who'll listen about how afraid he is of losing Carly to Sonny? They should just do an entire episode of him lying in a dark room, clutching a pillow, and listening to Fiona Apple songs.

This asshole is surely more of a Lana Del Rey man.

• Love 2

No way should Corn be interested in greasy little Spencer.

Did Rafe leave his coke on the table for the Nina?

My reaction to Molly is pretty much the same every time she's on.  I get that she's a teen that knows it all.  I just don't want to hear or see it.  Off to boarding school!

• Love 2

Did Rafe leave his coke on the table for the Nina?

He sure is generous for a cokehead.

I like Sam & Patrick working together to solve the hit-and-run, I hope it leads to them banging like a screen door in a hurricane.

Spencer wanting nothing to do with Joss made me laugh.  Because the spawn of Carly should always cause one to recoil in disgust.  Not that I want to see more of this forming kiddie quad.  & I don't know how Morgan is so hot, though.  Being Sonny's kid as well as Carly's should have led people to make the sign of the cross when he passes them on the street.

(edited)

I really want someone to tell Alexis on-screen that Ava is having either Sonny or Morgan's baby - NLG's WTF?!?!/Ewww face would be epic. Then she gets to tell Sam and Molly that for once, all 3 of her girls are getting either a cousin, sibling, or niece/nephew (Ava is Sam's aunt, Sonny is Kristina's dad and Morgan is her brother, and Sonny is Molly's uncle and Morgan is her cousin). I imagine their reactionary expressions would be screen-cap worthy as well. I can just imagine Sam being like "I have no words..."

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2

I was kind of surprised the paper's headline really did say that Gabriel was buried. I was hoping it would be a manifestation of Rafe's guilty conscience, like Sam's phone yesterday was of her insecurities. (I thought that was clever, btw.)

Shut up, Lauren.

I really liked the Alexis/Molly scenes. They weren't overdone.

Yes, Sam is a genius for figuring out that someone who damaged his car would want to get it fixed. That's thinking outside the box.

• Love 2

Yes, Sam is a genius for figuring out that someone who damaged his car would want to get it fixed. That's thinking outside the box.

In this town, it kinda is.

So will Carly drop her Panties of Pain again for Sonny in a limo when Michael finds out that Sonny killed AJ & Carly knew about it?

• Love 4
(edited)
So will Carly drop her Panties of Pain again for Sonny in a limo when Michael finds out that Sonny killed AJ & Carly knew about it?

Count on it.  He'll be all she has left.

She's really betting on the wrong horse in this affair.  She should have ratted out Sonny to Michael when she had the chance.  I think Michael will find that the most difficult to forgive her for, that she knew the real story all along and didn't tell him.  Same with Morgan and the real reason that Ava is at Sonny's.  But Morgan will just add her reprehensible behavior to her huge pile of current transgressions against him.

Edited by Reo
  • Love 2

Why? why? must Ron ruin everything good. I know I was warned, but how am I supposed to enjoy my det Special Kitty in ALL his shirtless glory when the Dunklemonkey is shirtless AT THE SAME TIME. Kill it Kill it with Fire!

• Love 3

She's really betting on the wrong horse in this affair.  She should have ratted out Sonny to Michael when she had the chance.

What I found really disturbing today was all of Carly's little smiles at the Spencer/Sonny interaction. How can she divorce herself so from the reality of her current tenuous situation?  Would you call that an acting choice or a writing choice?  Can't LW at least not smile so much?  The Ava/Franco scenes too.  What does Ron and co want us to believe about this woman?  I see foolish dumb ass.  Takers?  

• Love 1

I think their increased time together is to cause the dramz for Franco and Carly, and if Ron wants the AJ secret out now rather than later, to facilitate Franco spilling those beans. If Carly can forgive Sonny for shooting her in the head while giving birth, forgiving Franco for spilling the AJ beans is nothing. Franco and Carly may be temporarily estranged, but I don't see a serious Carly/Sonny reunion happening. That doesn't rule out StupidSex, of course. Those two will always find a dumb reason to fuck.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons Sonny and Carly have been kept apart since LW landed the role is that MB didn't want to share scenes with an actress that towers over him.  If that is true, about the only thing that would be interesting abut SCum Part 678,437,386 is the implications it would have about the power politics going on BTS.

(edited)
That gives an allowance for a lot of the other silliness, so long as you show one human note. I don't ask for much.

Spencer aside (because I agree they haven't done that for him), I haven't found that an effective way to make characters non-cartoonish. What you're suggesting is exactly what they did for Heather with the BLT scene and with Dr. O with her occasional, but inconsistent, wistfulness about her kids.  But both characters are completely ruined for me at this point. No human notes will overcome the over-the-top campiness and outrageous crap (like a powerpoint that includes a video of guy fucking your daughter).

But Ron clearly thinks he can rein these atrocities of characters back in with one well-acted understated scene with cheap mood music playing in the background. Pass. Pass on it for Heather. For Dr. O. For Spencer. For Nina. for Franco. I'd rather put all these sociopaths on an island with enough food supply for just one, and watch what happens.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 6
(edited)

I think that we are stuck with the kiddie quad is because the PC teen scene is fairly non-existant.

It's fast forward material.  Doesn't Ron realize adults watch this show?  I have no interest in the antics of Spencer and Joss and the painful acting of the actors who play Cam and Emma.  You can't re-live KMc as Robin and JJ as Lucky.  They were the exception.  Most of these kid actors are truly terrible and this is a soap.  How many even decent adult actors do you get? 

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 3

Really gross thought here...I think they may be setting up another round of Sonny and Carly.   There has been too much rehashing of their history over the past few days.  When the Sonny shot AJ and Carly knew about it reveal happens the sh*t will hit the fan.  No one will have anything to do with them. They will only have each other in their "grief" (because we all know neither one of them is capable of feeling shame or disgust by their own behavior ), and turn to each other yet again. 

If it leads to Franco snapping and killing them both before turning the gun/knife/ax on himself, I'm in.

• Love 9
Ava is Sam's aunt, Sonny is Kristina's dad and Morgan is her brother, and Sonny is Molly's uncle and Morgan is her cousin​

Bringonthedrama, I think you just broke my brain.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think that we are stuck with the kiddie quad is because the PC teen scene is fairly non-existant.

It's fast forward material.  Doesn't Ron realize adults watch this show?

Word to the nth power.

I can remember in summers past being slightly bored, as an adult, with stories like Kids at the Lake Cottage (AMC) and Boating and Picnicking Teens (Karen, Jagger, Jason, et al), but also saying to myself, "It's summer; they need to have a teen story to get viewers of that age."

But I don't think anyone wants to see a preteen summer love story; heaven knows, I wouldn't let an 8 year old watch this show to see one, and actual teens absolutely Do. Not. Care. about elementary kids. All of us who are old enough to pay for our own email accounts have pretty much said we're not sitting home with bated breath wondering what will happen next, so TPTB should just let it fade to black. 

I'm thinking a teen audience would be interested in seeing more things happening with Molly, TJ, Sam, Britt, Nathan and/or Lucas (good looking, young, and fairly young-looking people as opposed to definitely older adults)  actually  doing something this summer -- solving the mystery of who kidnapped  Levi, for example. 

ETA: Oh yeah, way to beat an inside joke into the ground, Ron. Dressing oldJoss in the corn costume for Halloween was an acceptable eyewink, even doing it twice was ok, but LET IT GO now. Things are only clever and witty if they happen once. Finding a way to work corn into the script every time Joss is on the screen is sophomoric. Or freshmoronic. or something closer to 7th grade fart joke level. Most viewers don't care to stoop that low.

Edited again to add an apology/explanation for the vitriol in the above paragraph: anyone who has ever taught 7th, 8th, or 9th grade boys knows that what they do is repeat whatever they think is funny. endlessly. And to them it gets funnier each time. To the rest of the world it doesn't. Ron often seems stuck in that junior high mentality. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 3
(edited)

Spencer aside (because I agree they haven't done that for him), I haven't found that an effective way to make characters non-cartoonish. What you're suggesting is exactly what they did for Heather with the BLT scene and with Dr. O with her occasional, but inconsistent, wistfulness about her kids.  But both characters are completely ruined for me at this point. No human notes will overcome the over-the-top campiness and outrageous crap (like a powerpoint that includes a video of guy fucking your daughter).

Which is why I didn't suggest it for either of them. Spencer is just a bratty seven year old, not a relentless serial killer. I'd accept pathos a lot more from him than from Heather Webber or Obrecht.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Turtle - Can you imagine Sam attempting to explain to someone that yes, she was once involved with Sonny and they had a daughter who was stillborn, but what's relevant today is that he's her college-age sister's dad, her little sister's uncle, and her new baby cousin's grandfather (or dad) as well. Awkward doesn't even scratch the surface there...

Assuming the baby is actually born, I just want to see Carly's head explode in reaction to Monica saying, "Sam, Congrats on the birth of your cousin! *Smirk toward Slagbeast, just a foot away* It didn't occur to me that Carly is his/her grandma."  She would of course be thinking 'Karma, that the mother of Carly's grandchild is a woman she hates, both of her own sons hate her now, and Josslyn went to live with Jax permanently because of the Franco situation.'

• Love 1
(edited)

As someone that had to sit through a Town Hall Power Point presentation this week on how our company has gone from good to great over the last year and being bored out of my skull, I would have so welcomed Dr. O's "How to Win a Prince in 10 Days" alternative.

Winners today:

1) Molly/Alexis but really Haley/Nancy. They are so believable as mother and daughter and the scenes were so well done. Dialogue, acting, all of it.

2) Nathan shirtless with Anna. Just keep on feeding my fantasy. Especially when Maxie told her, "he's all yours".

3) More Samtrick, kids. An entire episode of Sam away from Coma Boy and Cray Cray focusing on something else entirely? Praise the soap gods.

RoHo really does look so much better dressed up. It's like night and day improvement in the character.

Ugh, more "I know everything" from Kiki. Just shut your stupid mouth, you twat. I am not liking tomorrow's preview with her and shirtless Morgan. For the love of all that is holy, that is what must be killed with fire immediately. Just say no, Morgan. Please, I'm begging you. But otherwise, I'm all for you being shirtless again. I so hope this Levi interfering with the Brownstone project leads to Morgan putting his fist in Levi's face.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that they won't put CarSon back together. Unless people start giving it a good reaction, that is.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 2

I'll second or third or twentieth or whatever the WTF-ness about Franco.  I was not a OLTL viewer, so this is my first RoHo experience.  He seems attractive, charming, and charismatic.  Even when he looks like he's about to nod off during his scenes, there's still something appealing about him.  He should be working his way through Port Charles, scheming with Tracy to take over ELQ, conning Julian, making a pass at Sam, flirting with Ava.  Something.  Anything.  Whatever.  Instead he's.... Franco.  It's such a terrible, terrible waste.  I've tried to enjoy him this week.  RoHo seems like he's great with kid actors.  But really, I just cannot with Franco.

• Love 3

The only thing making watching Molly or Sam bearable is when Alexis shares their scenes. 

I thought that RH didn't mail it in yesterday and was pretty good.

Yet another episode and plot with Sonny/MB.

Yes, Anna,  'clearly' topless Nathan was not expecting you.  Way to wear stilletos to a crime scene Sam!

• Love 1
I can remember in summers past being slightly bored, as an adult, with stories like Kids at the Lake Cottage (AMC) and Boating and Picnicking Teens (Karen, Jagger, Jason, et al), but also saying to myself, "It's summer; they need to have a teen story to get viewers of that age."

Yeah, soaps were a little dull in the summers back in the day, but you knew they'd pick up again once the fall started and you were willing to hang in until things got interesting again. 

I'm thinking a teen audience would be interested in seeing more things happening with Molly, TJ, Sam, Britt, Nathan and/or Lucas (good looking, young, and fairly young-looking people as opposed to definitely older adults)  actually  doing something this summer -- solving the mystery of who kidnapped  Levi, for example.

Oh honey, no one would want that mystery solved. 

This whole instant raging addiction Rafe has...it cocaine the topical choice? wouldn't meth, molly, alcohol be something more fitting what's going on with the youth of today? Coke seems so 80s. I could see Nina thinking it was still a thing, but not the teen scene in Port Charles. 

• Love 1

solving the mystery of who kidnapped  Levi, for example. 

Said nobody EVER!

Solving the mystery as to why he has to be shirtless AGAIN on my screen. Now THAT is a mystery I'm down with solving.

(edited)

Speaking of Levi and mysteries --  you know, if Michael's renovating the Brownstone, I'm sure there are some walls that will need to be boarded or bricked up . . . can a crew from the barge sneak into Port Charles one night and whisper a suggestion in Mickey Diamond's ear? 

To keep this about the episodes: I agree with whoever said his hair would even be more attractive if it were in a ponytail. I'm just telling myself that in this case makeup and costume is trying to make us dislike him. 

Edited by rur
solving the mystery of who dismembered Levi, for example.

Fixed that for you.

Way to wear stilletos to a crime scene Sam!

it's the only way she can be in the frame with someone taller than Sonny. Heh.

• Love 6

I have a novel I idea for a summer story for Ron.

Why not instead of a kiddie triangle that appeals to NO soap demographic.

We get a brand new sauna set, it could be free standing in the park then as Patrick, Julian and Nathan oh what the heck Lucus too could wander by shirtless and say hey why not? We could have whole scenes of just unclothed beefcake, no dialogue needed.

Everywhere the script calls for the kiddie triangle just insert sauna scenes instead and tada! instant appeal to ALL soap demographics.

Oh wait that would be logical and require common sense and this is Ron so never mind.......sigh

• Love 1
We get a brand new sauna set, it could be free standing in the park then as Patrick, Julian and Nathan oh what the heck Lucus too could wander by shirtless and say hey why not? We could have whole scenes of just unclothed beefcake, no dialogue needed.

This sounds like the main reason we were going to get the spa storyline, complete with new set that was cancelled for budget reasons. Since it involved sticking Milo  front and centre, I wasn't too broken up over it at the time. Supposedly it was going to centre on Lucy and Laura running a business together but I'm sceptical that much actual story was planned out.

I am going to be terribly politically incorrect but could Ron for one second remember that not all soap viewers are female and not all of the men who watch are gay? I admit Sam showing the "Ladies" the other day was fun but  hardly equal time and the truth is I fast forward any time there is a shirtless man on, I am just not interested.

Again being Politically Incorrect I would bet bottom dollar that GH's rating would jump if it became the first day time show to show a ladies butt (a la NYPD Blue). Not to be crude but it is all about the ratings.

This sounds like the main reason we were going to get the spa storyline, complete with new set that was cancelled for budget reasons. Since it involved sticking Milo  front and centre, I wasn't too broken up over it at the time. Supposedly it was going to centre on Lucy and Laura running a business together but I'm sceptical that much actual story was planned out.

Well, I thought that much story was planned out. We saw Lucy and Laura meeting at the Metro Court to discuss the business (which was to be named Deception Spa), and then only a couple weeks later Laura was shipped off to Europe for her never ending medical check-up. 

That plot was dropped like a hot potato, wasn't it? I'm not crying over not seeing Milo (shirtless or not, I never liked him), but it is a shame Lucy didn't get a story. It could still be written, with Laura as the European rep for Deception, sourcing new products or whatever. But Ron clearly doesn't want to give stories to anyone but his pets.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, I thought that much story was planned out. We saw Lucy and Laura meeting at the Metro Court to discuss the business

We did see that, but I believe that if there had been actual meat to what was planned they would have been able to salvage something from it. I suspect that it was a very sketchy business story between Lucy and Laura that would only receive attention for the time it took  to establish  a new set intended to feature a load of wacky hijinx with people running in and out of doors in towels.

Edited by yuggapukka
(edited)

I am going to be terribly politically incorrect but could Ron for one second remember that not all soap viewers are female and not all of the men who watch are gay? I admit Sam showing the "Ladies" the other day was fun but hardly equal time and the truth is I fast forward any time there is a shirtless man on, I am just not interested.

Again being Politically Incorrect I would bet bottom dollar that GH's rating would jump if it became the first day time show to show a ladies butt (a la NYPD Blue). Not to be crude but it is all about the ratings.

I don't think it's unfair or politically incorrect. I have similar complaint with Scifi shows & the lack of male eye candy vs the sexy skin tight/minimal clothed female I've talked about a pool set for that reason. Guys in swim trunks & ladies in swim suits/bikinis would be fair for everyone.

In the show in my head.....when RoHo isn't in scenes with Carly I think of him as random actor vs Franco. I enjoyed him in the scenes with Dr. O & being in a suit jacket.

HP has really matured as an actress. She is doing a great job with her emotional scenes.

How has KaKa spent time with Rafe for months, yet didn't find out his background until yesterday.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 2