Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Why is dead Silas getting a better storyline than alive Silas ever did?

Seriously.  I hated John McBain and I disliked Silas while he was shackled to Sam and Nina, but since the unshackling, ME brings the snark very, very well and he played well opposite MW.  I was just starting to like him, so who do they kill off in what is probably the beginning of a cast purge?  Someone I like.  Not Sonny.  Not Carly.  Not Sloane.  Not Hayden.  Not Kiki.  Not Morgan.  Not T.J.  Not Nicholas.  Etc. Etc.  

This show needs the snark.  On screen.

I found it vastly amusing that Nathan and Dante burst into the courtroom, just at the right moment, because, by all appearances, no one was listening to what was coming over that wire.  I kept watching the Nathan/Dante/Jordan scenes wondering, "Who's listening to the wire?"

I liked the meta discussion about Southwest General recasts between Maxie and Lulu. I like meta, though. I know not everyone does.

I wondered if it was a swipe at the time Jen Lilley played Maxie, and, if so, no, oldMaxie (I'm totally blanking on the actress's name!), not everyone wanted you back.

I've always thought the unholy trinity of Sonny/Carly/Jason would be the death knell of my following this show, but now I'm thinking it might be this movie storyline.  As someone far wiser than I said, hate isn't the opposite of love, it's indifference.  Could there be a more boring, predictable storyline?  It'd be a challenge.

• Love 3

I'm actually going to give Hayley Erin a continuing pass on the quasi-screechy histrionics.  Girlfriend's at least trying, and lord knows we've seen worse.

We have seen worse, but not many. 

• Love 4

I stepped off the barge to see snarky Silas because he's so awesome, and he didn't disappoint. I ffed through most of the other mess, but Rick Hearst makes everything better. He is the only reason the Madeline/Ric scenes were tolerable.

Is Sonny going to get mad at Ric for wearing a wire to prove that he's innocent? If he does, he's a hypocritical ass. Sonny would have provably been more approving of Ric being the killer.

What happened to Morgan's hair? BC looks much better with longer hair.

Sonny and Carly looked just as vomit inducing on ff.

• Love 5

Some decent moments today. I can only handle Maxie in small doses, but I thought KS was actually very good in her audition scene, despite Dillon's dumbass script.

Silas stabbing was unnecessarily graphic. It did get me thinking about an idea for a potentially awesome GH spin-off though: "Ghost Odd Couple" starring Ghost Silas and Ghost AJ as mismatched roommates. Ghost Silas would be the uptight neat freak, perpetually annoyed by Ghost AJ's messy habits, drinking and general fatness. And Ghost Carrrlos could be their wacky neighbor who pops by all the time.

• Love 23

Some decent moments today. I can only handle Maxie in small doses, but I thought KS was actually very good in her audition scene, despite Dillon's dumbass script.

Silas stabbing was unnecessarily graphic. It did get me thinking about an idea for a potentially awesome GH spin-off though: "Ghost Odd Couple" starring Ghost Silas and Ghost AJ as mismatched roommates. Ghost Silas would be the uptight neat freak, perpetually annoyed by Ghost AJ's messy habits, drinking and general fatness. And Ghost Carrrlos could be their wacky neighbor who pops by all the time.

I've watched worse sitcoms. 

• Love 7

I always find it interesting how a new writing team chooses which stories to continue or to conclude (or just completely drop). For Nathan, I don't think Ron even knew so it'll just get lost until someone is looking for something to do with the character and then they'll grab it.

Given yesterday's casting news, I'm guessing that thread will be snipped altogether.

The problem is that Ron introduced too many of these hanging secrets (Who Is Nathan's Father?  What Is Rosalie's Deal?  Is Shawn TJ's Father?) and then just left them hanging til our (minimal) interest withered and died on the vine.  And look what happened with Shawn and TJ, how Ron teased it forever and then pulled the trigger on Shawn's second-to-last day.  And he did this a number of times on OLTL too.  It's ridiculous.  The story isn't the secret, it's the fallout, and Ron never liked writing the fallout.

• Love 9

I would get some amusement from Dr. O reveling in Donna Mills' misery.  But I was more wondering if they were going to tie off the Nathan paternity thread or leave it wafting in the wind.

The tree that Dr. O rubbed up against was tragically killed years ago in a forest fire. 

• Love 7

Is Sonny going to get mad at Ric for wearing a wire to prove that he's innocent? If he does, he's a hypocritical ass. Sonny would have provably been more approving of Ric being the killer.

What happened to Morgan's hair? BC looks much better with longer hair.

Sonny only doesn't like it when people wear wires on him.

Three theories on BC's hair:

- He shaved it cause it's summer

- He shaved it to show Morgan unraveling

- He shaved it to make his thinning hair less obvious

I do think there may be a possibility that he just simply wanted to shave it as well.

Oh, BC's hair. Will we ever truly know who you really are?

• Love 4

I would watch the hell out of Ghost Odd Couple, I mean as long as FrankNRon signed a binding contract ordering them to stay far away under penalty of having their torches snuffed and being voted off Soap Opera Writing Island forever.

Ghost Connie, Ghost Lily and Ghost Emily could have Sonny Is A Douche Club meetings in the penthouse they share and laugh about how small his pinky-peen is. Ghost Alan could be the landlord (although the building would be owned by NotGhost Monica) and NotGhost Georgie could have a storyline about how she's not really dead as she tries to get back to Port Charles through some kind of wacky hijinks.

Oh, and Ghost SWSNBN isn't allowed to move in and therefore must stay in Hell for crimes against humanity e.g., existing.

On topic: I watched to see who murdered Silas and was kinda bummed it wasn't Morgan.

It's been nice not seeing Valerie.

I swam back from the Barge to see if the new writers would make a difference, then I looked at the description of today's episode and the first thing it says is "Carly and Sonny bond over their love of family" so I guess they're going for flat out comedy now. You know, the unfunny kind.

• Love 9

I wondered if it was a swipe at the time Jen Lilley played Maxie, and, if so, no, oldMaxie (I'm totally blanking on the actress's name!), not everyone wanted you back.

I don't think it was a swipe at Jen Lilley -- more of a wink wink nudge nudge to the audience reaction to the recast. It's not like the show got rid of Kirsten for Jen and then lived to rue the day. Kirsten was sick and Jen stepped in until Kirsten was ready to return to work.  Lulu's line in the exchange was also highlighted that Emme Rylan is a recast. It made me feel a little sorry for Rylan, because even though the exchange was a joke, it must not feel great to be the recast who replaced a more popular actress in a role. 

• Love 5

I do think there may be a possibility that he just simply wanted to shave it as well.

Theory #4: He accidentally mistook his Nerium for shampoo one morning and all his hair burned up and fell out?

• Love 3

Last week's SOD had a GH interview, can't remember who exactly was quoted, but the story they gave was that BC and the writers agreed on the buzz cut to show his unraveling. Our paper recycling was already picked up, or I could have typed out the exact quote. :)

I am personally a huge fan of a the buzzed cut on all men, so I think BC looks much more attractive these days.

I don't think it was a swipe at Jen Lilley -- more of a wink wink nudge nudge to the audience reaction to the recast. It's not like the show got rid of Kirsten for Jen and then lived to rue the day. Kirsten was sick and Jen stepped in until Kirsten was ready to return to work.  Lulu's line in the exchange was also highlighted that Emme Rylan is a recast. It made me feel a little sorry for Rylan, because even though the exchange was a joke, it must not feel great to be the recast who replaced a more popular actress in a role. 

That's why we call them "regenerations". :)

The Maxie recast they were talking about was older, when she was played by Robyn Richards. Robyn was THE Maxie who was dumped by TPTB for Danica Stewart to SORAS the character, only to come back because of fan outrage. Maxie went away for a while, the character fallowed, and that allowed Kirsten to come along to take the role.

Edited by NutmegsDad
  • Love 2
Madeline: She's a very sick girl.

Me: I don't care how many comas she gets put in, she hasn't been a girl in a very long time.

It's a mother talking about her daughter. I can excuse it in this context. Besides, it's in Madeline's best interest to continue to infantilize Nina.

I still don't know what the heck BC is trying for at this point

I believe he's going for manic, but it's coming across more like desperate scrambling.

I found it vastly amusing that Nathan and Dante burst into the courtroom, just at the right moment, because, by all appearances, no one was listening to what was coming over that wire.  I kept watching the Nathan/Dante/Jordan scenes wondering, "Who's listening to the wire?"

That cracked me up, too. It's a good thing there's a wormhole from the PCPD to the courthouse.

Last week's SOD had a GH interview, can't remember who exactly was quoted, but the story they gave was that BC and the writers agreed on the buzz cut to show his unraveling.

I read that somewhere, too. It greatly amuses me that no one—not one single person—on the show has mentioned the haircut. I don't think for a man it has the same shock value, especially since it is still summer and getting a buzz cut isn't unusual.

• Love 1

The Maxie recast they were talking about was older, when she was played by Robyn Richards. Robyn was THE Maxie who was dumped by TPTB for Danica Stewart to SORAS the character, only to come back because of fan outrage. Maxie went away for a while, the character fallowed, and that allowed Kirsten to come along to take the role.

I disagree. 

I think the meta recast talk was a) an old Ron trick card that's gotten worn over time (that joke was much fresher when Tea, VicTodd, and Blair similarly riffed on OLTL because their conversation referenced both Todd and Tea's glass coffin wedding and Asian!Blair) and b), if aimed at anyone, it was really aimed at the audience for not accepting the recasts, not the actors themselves.

• Love 4
Ghost Alan could be the landlord (although the building would be owned by NotGhost Monica)

Okay, NOW I'm on board!  The idea of Monica being alive in the house and Alan going all Captain McCabe or Topper on her is genius. I could have totally gone for this 10-15 years ago, before Stuart's health began to fail.

Now, did you just suggest this so that Monica could say, "It's MY house!" about yet another house?

Edited by Francie
  • Love 3

I think the meta recast talk was a) an old Ron trick card that's gotten worn over time (that joke was much fresher when Tea, VicTodd, and Blair similarly riffed on OLTL because their conversation referenced both Todd and Tea's glass coffin wedding and Asian!Blair) and b), if aimed at anyone, it was really aimed at the audience for not accepting the recasts, not the actors themselves.

Agreed. Ron even threw in a recast comment in his "why we love soaps" soliloquy from OLTL that so many people hold in high regard and that I find so poorly written.

[dubbel zout rage] No Ron, the reason we love soaps isn't because our favorites get recast.  That's just a side effect of multi-year serial telling. It's not WHY we love the show.  It's something unique to it that the viewers tolerate and can even joke about sometimes.  The same with SORAS-ing, which he also mentioned in that speech.  People do not tune to soaps with the hope that a toddler is turned into a teen ager. No one says, "My God, I hope Joss or Emma or Cameron become several years older all of a sudden today!"  No, we put up with it.  We tolerate ot. On occasion, we welcome it.  But no one raced home and made sure they DVR'ed the moment so-and-so walked down the stairs with stubble or a bra for the first time. [/dubbel zout rage]

And we don't love soaps, as opposed to any other genre, to see if the good guys get the girls and the villains get their due.  A) You're thinking of westerns; B) You ended your own freakin' show with a villain signing off. Your shows run rampant with villains who never get their due and win "the girl."

Erika Sleezak sold a raw piece of sewage with that speech. It's all about the cadence, quality, and texture of her voice.

Anyone here at this board could -- and would -- write a better speech about why people love soaps. Mainly because you'd focus on the topic and not use it as an outlet to make fun of the genre's short cuts.

To make it GH related -- hey, wait, I already did that. I mentioned how it runs rampant with villains who never get their due, and win the girl or the boy.

Ok, I'll make it more GH related. Anna's back tomorrow. But I'm waiting to come in off the barge until she actually has a storyline. You know, those things with a premise, a villain, a conflict, a moral dilemma, a non-fatal flaw of the heroine, building suspense, climax, and denouement.  Man, I miss those.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 9

Sorry, Francie, but I gotta disagree with you.  I liked that speech, which was course elevated by Erika Slezak's delivery, and I think that recasting and SORAS-ing and the like ARE part of the fun and part of what makes soaps...soaps.

And I don't hold Ron accountable for OLTL ending on Alison holding Victor hostage.  If they'd hadn't thought the show would be continuing online that next Monday, I have no doubt he would have ended it on the preceding scene with Viki and Clint.

• Love 3

No worries, TeeVee329 . We all have our own opinions.

I don't have a problem with soap fans embracing those things in a kind of "you can't pick on him! Only we can pick on him!" kind of way.

But if you ask me what makes daily serials so compelling? Why do people get so hooked? I'm going to say that it has to do with the richness of the tapestry because you have a world with 25-30 characters, ideally; the familiarity of the characters because you see them several times a week; and the roller coaster rides of emotions because good stories take you on wonderful, exciting journeys.

I used to get razzed all the time about watching soaps.  I would always defend it saying that, yes, while the lows are lows, the highs are the highest in any form of media you'll find. 

And if that was Ron's best attempt at explaining why soaps are special, he is deservedly no longer employed in them. JMHO. ;)

• Love 7

But if you ask me what makes daily serials so compelling? Why do people get so hooked? I'm going to say that it has to do with the richness of the tapestry because you have a world with 25-30 characters, ideally; the familiarity of the characters because you see them several times a week; and the roller coaster rides of emotions because good stories take you on wonderful, exciting journeys.

I used to get razzed all the time about watching soaps.  I would always defend it saying that, yes, while the lows are lows, the highs are the highest in any form of media you'll find. 

And if that was Ron's best attempt at explaining why soaps are special, he is deservedly no longer employed in them. JMHO. ;)

But the speech talked about that too, if memory serves.  That we invite these characters into our homes and families week after week and care about what happens to them and how watching is often a tradition passed down.

Oh, something about GH?  I find this entire plot about Dillon's movie (including the opening it provides for meta like we were discussing) lame.  I liked this kind of thing so much more on OLTL, but here, it just...doesn't fit?  Or I'm burned out on it?  Something's off.

• Love 3

But the speech talked about that too, if memory serves.  That we invite these characters into our homes and families week after week and care about what happens to them and how watching is often a tradition passed down.

I'm going to take this to the unpopular opinion thread. Partly because it's going to go to Tracy's speech during John Ingle's last appearance.  

Edited by Francie
  • Love 1

Oh, something about GH?  I find this entire plot about Dillon's movie (including the opening it provides for meta like we were discussing) lame.  I liked this kind of thing so much more on OLTL, but here, it just...doesn't fit?  Or I'm burned out on it?  Something's off.

I think both, probably. 

My thing with that meta conversation is that, as usually, they took it one step a leetle too far. "And now, everyone loves her" feels a little too much like, "so you all whined and complained for nothing, as usual!" Especially because . . . well, no, not everyone loves her. Hell, even Lulu/Mrs Brewer's neice #1 wasn't universally loved, not by a long shot.

• Love 2

I honestly would have preferred that they had ME return as Stephen Clay to off himself. It would have given ME some potentially entertaining material to work with on his way out the door, and livened up a totally zzzzzzz murder mystery.

Actually, I'm pretty sure DM is a vampire as well, given that she hasn't aged since the '80s, but still, Clay would have been my first choice.

I find this entire plot about Dillon's movie (including the opening it provides for meta like we were discussing) lame.  I liked this kind of thing so much more on OLTL, but here, it just...doesn't fit?  Or I'm burned out on it?  Something's off.

It's basically a reason to put Dillon and Lulu together on a daily basis so their feelings can grow, or whatever crap they're trying to sell us with those two. Maxie being the lead actress will be a buffer, but it won't matter.

It doesn't help that Dillon's movie is a very lightly fictionalized version of how he sees Lulu and their history. It's Ron bludgeoning us with plot to be sure we get it. Also, a rom-com? Way to be edgy, Dillon.

• Love 3

Only two reasons to watch today were the Morgan/Michael set up for sane brother/psycho brother storyline, and the risque but hot Alexis/Julian love scene. I wonder why that wasn't kept until Friday as a featured love scene?

The jail scenes are just sad, not even campy, just garbage. Shut up, New Kiki.

• Love 1

Is one of the "tweaks" Nathan Varni and Frank Valentini made all these endless scenes day after day of Sonny and Carly standing around, gushing about each other, and recapping other stories?  I am so very sick of them.

Um, Kiki, Ava's not to blame for Sonny having Avery.  You're the one who decided not to fight for custody and then you backed Sonny 100% when said custody was challenged.  And she thinks Sonny won't let her near Avery?  Since when?  Hell, Sonny likes Kiki more than he likes Morgan.

• Love 6

Okay, NOW I'm on board!  The idea of Monica being alive in the house and Alan going all Captain McCabe or Topper on her is genius. I could have totally gone for this 10-15 years ago, before Stuart's health began to fail.

Now, did you just suggest this so that Monica could say, "It's MY house!" about yet another house?

Yeah, I couldn't resist, I think it's one of the few things about this show that has remained consistent lol

• Love 2

Option 4: WebMD told him lice can control his thoughts and emotions

Re: the OLTL speech, I thought it was one of Ron's (and the show's) best moments, really encapsulating the genre. I think everything you say about it being five days a week is in that speech, about watching life go on. It still makes me cry. And but for a few storyline issues and nitpicks, I was very happy with the network finale. It provided a happy ending for a lot of people, but also kept the soap opera going - as it should - without putting it to death and saying 'we're all dead now! the story is over!' like ATWT and GL. I don't believe in that. I think soaps need to always have a sense of the story going on, in some way.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Hey! They actually mentioned that Morgan does occasionally work bartending shifts at the Haunted Star. The things these writers remember. 

and eff you Morgan for guilting Michael about that damn wedding.

Ava and Madeline were both arrested after Franks and Neens, so how is it that they are in prison jumpsuits and the world's worst couple are still in civilian cloths?

and Neens, please stop shrieking, shrieking.

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Love 3

So the only thing worth watching today was the Morgan/Michael scene at the Haunted Star.

I admit to having a jaw dropping moment when Julian went down on Alexis, but even their sex scenes don't get to me like they used to...

Everything else? Zzzzzzzzzz

• Love 4

Morgan: Maybe it's selfish of me to want you to come to the wedding . . . 

Yes, Morgan, it is selfish of you and your piano-hands to want Michael to go to the wedding. 

Morgan: I could say it was Ava's fault, I could say she seduced me.

Actually no he can't. Next question!

Oh no! Kiki will never speak to Ava again! But they had such a good mother-daughter relationship, on par with Anna and Robin back in the day!

Kiki doesn't think it's creepy that she thinks Sonny won't let her see Avery?

Maxie is wrong, Nina totally the daughter Madeline deserves.

I'd totally be on board with Nathan going all "you're not my mother!" if his "real" mom weren't Obrecht.

I wasn't a fan of the Julexis sex, but I'm glad for you guys who liked it.

Snarly may be many things but one thing she isn't is sweet. Sonny is delusional.

you'd think, at least, that Carly and Sonny would know better by now than to put each other up on a pedestal. That's where they really mess up. If they could maintain the clear-eyed POV they have of each other when they're not together they could make a relationship work.

• Love 6

I'm super pumped to see BC's Emmy reel tomorrow, I can't lie.

As well as JT's, who had the weirdest look on his face when Patrick sees well-adjusted Emma and Anna reunite. I don't know if he's stopped trying or that pissed leading to forced smile look is just natural after reading his scripts.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

The irony of Morgan going on a drunken rant after his actions during "Operation Alcoholic" isn't lost on me, though it's surely lost on the writers.

• Love 2

The irony of Morgan going on a drunken rant after his actions during "Operation Alcoholic" isn't lost on me, though it's surely lost on the writers.

These are the same writers who wrote in Morgan having a mental disorder solely to give Bryan Craig Emmy material, as opposed to it, you know, actually being organic to the character and story.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

I never thought I'd see the day when I was annoyed at one of Sonny's kids for blaming him for everything. 

Bryan Craig's face acting is fine but what the hell is he doing with his hands.

I never thought I'd see the day when I was annoyed at one of Sonny's kids for blaming him for everything.

Bryan Craig's face acting is fine but what the hell is he doing with his hands.

I don't know, but someone needs to take screenshots of Nik and Morgan's faces in the preview. I have TEARS.

Emmy Ryland  has replaced very popular characters before. Lizzie on Guiding Light was played by Hayden Piantiare *SP*, who is now the wife of Jon Jacksons character on Nashville. What goes around comes around. I liked them both in the role, and I think E R is doing fine. on GH. remember the other one wanted to leave. 

• Love 1

The only time that I ever want to see BC on GH is his last scene - same as Kiki.  Horrible characters along with dismal actors.The only things that I enjoyed today was the muppet promo crawling on the bottom of the screen. Michael's shirt color went well with his coloring and Baby Avery's figiting made the Sonny scenes somewhat less horrific.  The only thing on the screen today that I am super pumped to see tomorrow is seeing Anna come back.

• Love 1

:waves from the Scorpio deck of The Barge:

Is Ron still being credited?

Did Uncle Frank update the opening?

Has VA fixed her weave?

Has Bry-dog's face broken out with pustules yet?

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2
Is Ron still being credited?

Did Uncle Frank update the opening?

Yes, and no. I think Ron will get the credit until the new HWs officially start.

Hey! They actually mentioned that Morgan does occasionally work bartending shifts at the Haunted Star.

The bartender got in a nice burn when Morgan complained that the double wasn't enough: "Same as you pour—when you remember to show up for work." Hee. 

I can't believe Morgan thinks his life is over because Lauren broke up with him. Dude, you cheated on her. With her mother. Again. And hey, if you're wondering if you have BPD, get checked out so you know for sure. 

Ugh, Spencer tomorrow. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 6

I don't know, but someone needs to take screenshots of Nik and Morgan's faces in the preview. I have TEARS.

That's a classic Mr. Christopher "hmmm, let me think about what I'm going to eat for lunch so I don't cry" face:

Untitled_zpsppjzmcwe.png

• Love 8