Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Good Man

• Start Topic

Well they knew the military guys were leaving and not taking anyone with them and were going to kill the sick people.  I doubt they would have handed over the family members, and actually the military took off and left people locked in the cages. So no, they were as concerned about collateral damage as the so-called authorites were and I don't blame them there. 

Did they really know this? Was it said? I don't remember.

Either way, they could have attempted to break in quietly instead of bringing Armageddon. If the military were going to leave people behind, they could have helped them. I get trying to save yourself first when you have to, but I don't think they had to, here. They didn't even lock the fence of the community after they left, IIRC, or even warn anyone that the army guys were leaving.

• Love 12

I was cool with it. I don't mind a slow burn when I watch a new tv show. I'm also okay when I don't get exactly what I want. I would have liked a higher body count, Liza to be alive and perhaps end in peril but I'm satisfied.

Looks like they used up their budget for walker makeup on this episode!

And as a side note: We were sitting here at casa sidekickgirl thinking it would have been fun if they had kill d everyone off and had it pick up with new people next year. That would have solved the issue of not loving any characters!

Edited by sidekickgirl
  • Love 9

Didn't Andy think Ophelia lured him to the house to get tortured?  If so, I can understand why he shot her.

Daniel told him she didn't know. I thought he tried to kill her because he knew it would be the thing that would hurt Daniel the most.

• Love 6

The one thing that has been killing me is Madison's make-up and hair during the beginning stages of ZA. I have similar type of hair. Hers is curled and made to look like that. If this kind of shit is happening, you can bet I do not stop to put on mascara or curl my hair. 

• Love 3

Too bad it was Madison who followed Liza to the beach. Have we seen her shoot a gun yet? It seemed like her weapon of choice was a hammer.  If Liza wasn't sure she could shoot herself so that she wouldn't turn, she should have asked a favor of Daniel. I bet that guy's good at executions. At least Travis got some quickie sniper gun lessons from that soldier dude and didn't mess it up. Still... damnit, Show! I liked Liza and that army doc who probably committed suicide too.  I guess there's still the ultra-awesome Strand if I decide to come back for season 2.

• Love 2

Looks like that whole "I hate guns" thing did not work out so well for you, huh Travis? 

I kept expecting walkers or something to arise from the water, the longer the shot lingered on the water. 

Also, the military would be a lot more effective if they weren't so busy being assholes. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

Did anyone actually see the house on the cliff tops in the final shots of the beach area? How did they get down those cliffs onto the water.

No, I didn't see Strand's mansion on the cliffs. The entire time the camera was panning away, I was like "Where the fuck is the house??" and then as it got further away, I was like "how the fuck did Travis & Madison get down to the beach??". 

• Love 22

I thought Andy said it was part of Cobalt.  I could be wrong, I haven't rewatched that one.

I don't mind them bringing Armageddon or not stopping to tell the community; they're havng to make it up as they go.  It's because Madison stopped to go back and warn Patrick about Susan that they got stuck in the neighborhood.  They were in a time crunch with the military leaving.  At least they let the people out of the cages, which no one else did.

Edited by raven
  • Love 2

No, I didn't see Strand's mansion on the cliffs. The entire time the camera was panning away, I was like "Where the fuck is the house??" and then as it got further away, I was like "how the fuck did Travis & Madison get down to the beach??".

So many gaps in the thought processes of this production, not giving much credit to their audience. I am bitter.

• Love 12

I kept expecting walkers or something to arise from the water, the longer the shot lingered on the water. 

So did I. One of the things I kept thinking about as I watched this series was that We're Alive did the whole zombie apocalypse in LA better. And the whole yacht and swimming zombies was one of the things they did, lol.

• Love 3

Andy sucks. He should have shot Salazar. Bitch move, shooting Ofelia. Also, I call bs on that even happening. I don't care how pissed you are, no one is wading through a herd of walkers on the off chance they can run into their enemies in all the chaos. Stupid.

Except it wouldn't be an off chance...remember, Andy is the one who gave Travis directions on where to go, where to park, how to get into the building, how to find Administration, and where does he show up? In the parking garage HE directed them to.

• Love 7

Well they knew the military guys were leaving and not taking anyone with them and were going to kill the sick people.  I doubt they would have handed over the family members, and actually the military took off and left people locked in the cages. So no, they were as concerned about collateral damage as the so-called authorites were and I don't blame them there. 

Daniel's plan was foolish. Opening up the arena & letting 2K zombies to attack the compound would have probably ended up killing his wife anyway. It would have made more sense to trade Andy as a hostage for Griselda. Of course, he didn't know Griselda was dead, but it's logical to think that many people would get hurt by allowing Zombies to shamble freely.

• Love 6

It was probably easy to break one lock on the stadium door and then take off quickly while the horde forced its way out.  Salazar didn't have to lead them, they were drawn to the light and sound.

It would have made more sense to trade Andy as a hostage for Griselda.

The military either wouldn't care about Andy or would just shoot Salazar.  Its not like Andy's so important. 

So yeah, they gambled that they would get their people out before the zombies overran everything (they were in the compound before the zombies got there) and their people were abandoned and/or killed anyway.   If the zombies hadn't arrived, I think the guys on the tower would have shot Salazar.  Even if they managed to sneak in, there are military everywhere; in normal course of business they would be stopped. He needed a quick plan, and no, didn't care about others getting hurt.  That was the point; it was a desperate plan.

Edited by raven
  • Love 4

I am confuzzed by this entire thing. Why'd he need Nick to leave? Why'd he bring these peeps with him? 

Hmm, yeah, ultimately I don't think Strand needing Nick to escape was ever explained. Nick didn't do anything to help, so Strand's attachment to him makes no sense. At least he got a ride back to his house out of it.

• Love 11

So many gaps in the thought processes of this production, not giving much credit to their audience. I am bitter.

^This. When I watch Better Call Saul, I think "TPTB like their audience, and respect their intelligence." The exact opposite of this show.

• Love 14

One of the (few) advantages of being on the west coast and watching the east coast feed is the picture is big enough on my computer that I can see a few more details than when I watch it later on TV.

Anyway, the point of this...I saw Strand's house.

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 4

This show is terrible. I made it through all six episodes barely, but this cast is just not working, at all. I care about Nick but only because he is interesting as an actor, I think. I openly despise everyone else, but most especially Madison and Travis. Is it for sure coming back for a second season?

• Love 9

Either way, they could have attempted to break in quietly instead of bringing Armageddon. If the military were going to leave people behind, they could have helped them. I get trying to save yourself first when you have to, but I don't think they had to, here. They didn't even lock the fence of the community after they left, IIRC, or even warn anyone that the army guys were leaving.

Daniel was very selfish to not close the gate after they escaped from the safe zone. The remaining residents will probably get uninvited zombies coming into the neighborhood.

• Love 15

I don't think it was a wise decision to save all the juice for the last episode.

Right this red second, I want to see them get to the yacht and I want to know what's going to happen next.  But by the time it comes back, my only lasting impression will be:  Oh yeah, I remember that show.  It was boring.

Edited by candall
  • Love 12

This is a show about assholes written by assholes, and thank God it's over.  Thanks for killing off the only non-asshole, assholes.

OTOH, Liza is much better off dead than having to stick with these goobers.

Agree with others that they all seemed pretty quick to blast a hole in her head. 

• Love 18

Well, by default, I found this to be the best episode of the season.  Sure, I still don't care for the majority of these character, but bringing back the walker carnage (although on this show, it's more like introducing it), at least as intense and made me curious to see who would make it out alive.  And, of course, it ends up being one of the few I was kind of liking.  Farewell, Liza.  You deserved better, but I suspect the writers always had you destined to die, in order for Travis to "grow" not only as someone who needs to be tougher in this world, but to his "other family."  Sure, Chris is around, but if he ever finds out what happens, I'm sure their relationship will be in big trouble.  Especially if Travis doesn't actually go over and comfort him.

At least Ofelia apparently had convention plot armor and the bullet only hit her shoulder and went through and through!  That was lucky.  But that kind of had to happen, because if she died, then Salazar probably would have murdered Travis on the spot for letting Andy go like he did.

So, now everyone is currently staying at Strand's sweet bachelor pad, but he's now planning to get onto Abigail, which is a cruise ship/yacht of some kind.  I wonder if he is going to bring anyone else with him, other then Nick.  I just hope this means the next season won't be just a bunch of episodes where they're on sitting on a boat and talking about stupid shit.

Overall, I'm going to kind of give this first season a pass, and see if maybe they'll look at what worked, what didn't, and make some changes.  Because they need it.  At the very, very least, they better make Colman Domingo a regular next season, because Strand increased the entertainment value with ease.  Maybe even find a convoluted way to bring back Tobias.  Just do something.  Because it feels like less of a spin-off of The Walking Dead, but more like a cheaply made, B-version of the mothership.

• Love 7

Awwwwww, man...FUCK THIS SHOW.  Insulting in every way, right to the end.  I hope it gets canceled before the rest of the episodes air, and is never spoken of again.  I'm pissed, and I want my money back.  Can I bill Charter Cable for these hours?

• Love 9

It seemed like her weapon of choice was a hammer.

Does this make her the Tyrese of the group?

I was really confused by a lot of what went on. I've never been to LA, but from what I understand, it's a pretty big area. But it seems like Maddie's subdivision and medical station/holding cells for undesirables were about ten minutes away from each other.

• Love 2

A yacht during an apocalypse.  Good choice.  Of course there is already a show called "The Last Ship."

Maybe the heads at AMC ok'd this scenaria as they could get tax right offs when the show uses their yachets on the show.  Yachts paid by TWD.

• Love 2

How long was Nick away from home and at the compound? As a heroin addict wouldn't he have been going through major withdrawal at some point in there?

Strand made some comment about the smell of Nick's vomit at least covering up the smell of all of the prisoners, so I'm assuming he did most of his withdrawal while there.

As far as the yacht goes, on TTD

they were saying that Strand and his merry pirate crew will be running into others who had the same idea of heading out to sea and leaving the walkers on land. Since the start of TWD I've been wondering about the folks who would have decided to do that, or who took over some small islands on a lake or river. I'm kind of psyched to see how this plays out.

• Love 7

Daniel was very selfish to not close the gate after they escaped from the safe zone. The remaining residents will probably get uninvited zombies coming into the neighborhood.

Exactly, it's why I mentioned it. And I think Travis was the last one to leave, the one who didn't close it.

• Love 3

It would have been nice to have seen how Salazar released all those walkers from the stadium safely and how he so nonchalantly lead a zombe horde to the army base/hospital... because that seemed like a superpower.

Right? It seems like he's pretty unpopular here (and I'm not going to argue with that, he did some bad thigs before the ZA and now) but I'm having a hard time not liking a man who nonchalantly led a horde of like 2000 fresh walkers exactly where he wanted them, two weeks into the ZA like it was nothing. Most people are still scared shitless of them, but Daniel was just like, come this way, bitches, I have some tasty soldiers for you.

• Love 13

Daniel told him she didn't know. I thought he tried to kill her because he knew it would be the thing that would hurt Daniel the most.

I agree that hurting Daniel was part of the reason but I also thought that, despite what Daniel told him, he either didn't believe him or was still angry at Ophelia for leading him to the house.  Which I can understand.

• Love 3

It was probably easy to break one lock on the stadium door and then take off quickly while the horde forced its way out.  Salazar didn't have to lead them, they were drawn to the light and sound.

The military either wouldn't care about Andy or would just shoot Salazar.  Its not like Andy's so important. 

So yeah, they gambled that they would get their people out before the zombies overran everything (they were in the compound before the zombies got there) and their people were abandoned and/or killed anyway.   If the zombies hadn't arrived, I think the guys on the tower would have shot Salazar.  Even if they managed to sneak in, there are military everywhere; in normal course of business they would be stopped. He needed a quick plan, and no, didn't care about others getting hurt.  That was the point; it was a desperate plan.

Good points. It looks like Daniel's desire t find out what happened to his wife ended up killing everyone in the compound. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Ophelia to stay friendly with Andy & hope he could find out what was happening with Griselda? Andy seemed to like Ophelia. Torturing Andy was unnecessary.

The other scene with the soldiers trying to carjack Chris & Alicia's car was silly. Why wouldn't they escape on the military transports that were leaving the compound? There was even a helicopter that landed in the compound that they could have gone on.

• Love 7

Strand's house was away from all the other houses, down from the first set of cliffs, about 1/4 of the way from the top. There was a path that Liza and others took.

I thought this is what the whole season should have had in it.  Chaos, emotion, people trying to figure out WTF is going on, having to make hard decisions, packing in a slightly panicky manner.  I liked this episode.  There is  potential. I don't want it to be a rehash of the mother ship, walking around, hordes of zombies.  I do want to see shit hit the fan though.

Nick and Strand can stay - and Salazar, the leads, not so much, though Travis should get more angsty and with the ball at least now.

Loved Salazar leading the horde, hated them leaving the neighborhood gate open, though it looked like from the dog barking that there was already at least one zombie in there somewhere. The soldiers who jacked the car didn't want to be with the army anymore.

Love explaining to Mr Ripley about the Los Angeles river.  Have to agree, every road would have been blocked.

Edited by Ripley68
  • Love 2

Torturing Andy was unnecessary.

I agree, I think Daniel is just about his own family - he didn't want to let Travis's group in his shop during the riot, that was Griselda - and is sticking with Travis's group for now because he wanted help to get into the compound.  I don't think he's supposed to be an especially good person.  He's not the patient sort to try to let Ofelia find out Griselda's location, or actually more likely, he didn't think it would work.  I think Madison is like this also.

The soldiers stealing the car was silly.  It was pretty easy to get around the compound still.  DRAMA!

• Love 5

Well, by default, I found this to be the best episode of the season.  Sure, I still don't care for the majority of these character, but bringing back the walker carnage (although on this show, it's more like introducing it), at least as intense and made me curious to see who would make it out alive.  And, of course, it ends up being one of the few I was kind of liking.  Farewell, Liza.  You deserved better, but I suspect the writers always had you destined to die, in order for Travis to "grow" not only as someone who needs to be tougher in this world, but to his "other family."  Sure, Chris is around, but if he ever finds out what happens, I'm sure their relationship will be in big trouble.  Especially if Travis doesn't actually go over and comfort him.

At least Ofelia apparently had convention plot armor and the bullet only hit her shoulder and went through and through!  That was lucky.  But that kind of had to happen, because if she died, then Salazar probably would have murdered Travis on the spot for letting Andy go like he did.

So, now everyone is currently staying at Strand's sweet bachelor pad, but he's now planning to get onto Abigail, which is a cruise ship/yacht of some kind.  I wonder if he is going to bring anyone else with him, other then Nick.  I just hope this means the next season won't be just a bunch of episodes where they're on sitting on a boat and talking about stupid shit.

Overall, I'm going to kind of give this first season a pass, and see if maybe they'll look at what worked, what didn't, and make some changes.  Because they need it.  At the very, very least, they better make Colman Domingo a regular next season, because Strand increased the entertainment value with ease.  Maybe even find a convoluted way to bring back Tobias.  Just do something.  Because it feels like less of a spin-off of The Walking Dead, but more like a cheaply made, B-version of the mothership.

This was the best episode of the season. I am very upset that Liza was bit. She was a much better actress & character than Madison.

Why couldn't they stay @ Strand's place & get supplies ready. The house has a fence & the water as a barrier. We know that Walkers can't swim so they would only have to protect one part of the property from Walkers.

• Love 6

I agree that hurting Daniel was part of the reason but I also thought that, despite what Daniel told him, he either didn't believe him or was still angry at Ophelia for leading him to the house.  Which I can understand.

He should have shot all of them. 

But instead, a U.S. soldier could only get off one half assed shot and then is taken down and inexplicably beaten to a pulp by a fucking whiny pacifist.  BECAUSE THIS SHOW IS STUPID.

• Love 18

Sigh.  I feel like I'd have liked this all a bit better if this episode was about 2-3 episodes ago.  It took too long for the action to start and by the time it did, I felt checked out.  Frankly, I thought this was episode 8, not 6.  So much dragging for a ZA show.  The promising first episode didn't really open up into something bigger.

How are they going to kill Liza?!  She's a character I've liked from the jump.  So the Salazars are dropping like flies, Liza is dead, but somehow the rest of these people live?!

I think Travis and his rage at Andy was truly directed inward.  He let Andy go and now cut up Andy is shooting poor Ofelia.  On a better written show, the complexity of Andy, Daniel and Travis and their actions and motivations would be an interesting anti-hero dance.  I'm sad that wasn't even remotely true here. 

Strand's house is pimp.  I'm an east coast girl, but woooo boy, the dramatic cliffs and the west coast style house were gorgeous.

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 5

I agree, I think Daniel is just about his own family - he didn't want to let Travis's group in his shop during the riot, that was Griselda - and is sticking with Travis's group for now because he wanted help to get into the compound.  I don't think he's supposed to be an especially good person.  He's not the patient sort to try to let Ofelia find out Griselda's location, or actually more likely, he didn't think it would work.  I think Madison is like this also.

The soldiers stealing the car was silly.  It was pretty easy to get around the compound still.  DRAMA!

Agreed. Daniel's behavior is a result of his past in El Salvador. He nearly got Ophelia killed. Of course, it was weird that Andy showed up out of nowhere in the parking garage & tried to shoot her .

Alicia & Chris eating popsicles while on the balcony was surreal. These kids still don't know what is going on.

• Love 4

He should have shot all of them. 

But instead, a U.S. soldier could only get off one half assed shot and then is taken down and inexplicably beaten to a pulp by a fucking whiny pacifist.  BECAUSE THIS SHOW IS STUPID.

And the one shot wasn't even a deadly one.

• Love 2

First off, the breakdown of society is always the best part of every zombie flick so I really enjoyed the slow burn of this season.

It's a shame that Kirkman didn't jump on the Ryan Murphy style anthology bandwagon and wipe out the whole cast. 6 episodes leading into each season of the real Walking Dead following a different group in a different city would have been a great way to bring any short story arcs that couldn't fit in the original show to our screens.

Can't wait for season 2. And please please please have Sam Jackson in flight 426(?). "I'm sick of these M-F zombies on this M-F plane!"

• Love 8

I'm still so mad that Liza's gone because that's exactly what Madison wanted.  And Travis might be grieving but Liza out of the picture makes it a lot easier for him too.  Turd.

• Love 7

So they have Travis man up and pummel the soldier, but there was no emotional connection. Even after he did that, Madison gave her usual "whatever" look and neither of them approached Ofelia. Likewise shooting Liza didn't emotionally connect because it was unnecessary at this point.

• Love 7

Strand's house is pimp. I'm an east coast girl, but woooo boy, the dramatic cliffs and the west coast style house were gorgeous.

On Talking Dead, they said chez Strand was heavily featured in the Entourage movie.

• Love 2