Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

(edited)

Just saw the Phoenix episode tonight, and I give that relationship less than even odds of surviving.  I couldn't figure out why the man was buying a house when he said he was planning to move to Colorado when his tour of duty was over.  I don't know what rental prices are in Phoenix, but I think that would have been a better choice given the stated circumstances.  It was obvious she did not like Phoenix, didn't like desert landscaping, wanted grass, wanted a pool, wanted ss, wood, and granite and preferred to be in Colorado, so his plan to have her in Phoenix even a couple of times a month seemed like a long shot.  She was super picky, yet she wasn't going to be living in the house most of the time.  I think she just wanted a bright, shiny house to go along with the big bright, shiny ring she demanded.  I was comparing this long distance relationship episode to one shown recently about a couple who had a place in Mexico and a place in southern Arizona.  They sold their house and he was renting an apartment in Arizona.  They seemed much more committed to a long distance relationship than this couple did.  I got the impression that the Phoenix guy was more willing to give up things to make it work.  To max out the budget and then pay $250 a month on top of a house note, just seems financially irresponsible.  Once again, if all of that was acting and producer driven, shame on the HH's for going along with it, because it made the woman look like a controlling witch.  

Ohwell, regarding your comment about no one parking their car in their garage, that's one of the reasons I hate front loading garages.  If each family has several cars, the street begins to look like a used car lot.     

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 2

Just saw the Phoenix episode tonight, and I give that relationship less than even odds of surviving.

No kidding! Free Randy! Not only does this sap have to buy this bitch a 2 karat diamond to prove he really loves her he's got to cave on all his own priorities to buy a house that has what she wants even though she's not even living there! And when he asked where his clothes were supposed to go (since she was calling dibs on the big walk-in for herself) her response was a flip "I don't care." I don't even think she was just putting on an act or kidding around, I think she really didn't give a damn about him. What does this poor guy see in her?

He did have a rather unfortunate comb-forward - dude, that's not a good look on anyone and hasn't been since Barnabas Collins. Wispy bangs have never been in. Maybe the poor dork thinks this is the best he can do.

• Love 2

Oh, that Phoenix couple.  What a pair.  Unlike Laredhead, I don't give them a 10% chance of surviving.  She's such a shrew, and he's a dolt.  I lived in the Phoenix area for 9 years and there are so many areas that they could have looked at and gotten decent prices.  The real estate market in Arizona hasn't rebounded like it has in some areas, and there's a glut of houses for sale.  I used to live on a short street, with maybe 10 houses, and there are five on the market, and three have been on the market for more than 3 years.  If you look hard, you can get really good deals, especially in cities like Glendale, Gilbert, Tempe.  Scottsdale is insanely expensive, along with Paradise Valley.

Rentals are all over the place in terms of cost---as with everything, it all depends on location.  You can get a basic apartment for $600 a month, but not in a good area. If you want a safer area, you're talking $1K a month for a nice size two bedroom.  And don't even think about downtown Phoenix and having great deals.  It's really expensive to live in the middle of downtown Phoenix.  

• Love 1

Ok thanks. I always wonder when I see these shows with the model homes if after the builder is done and say 12 years down the road, if the inside of the homes still all look like each other. 

I live in one of those homes...in FL no less. :-)  Our neighborhood is quite small so I know my neighbors.  One neighbor has completely redone everything in the 13 yrs we've been here so nothing resembles the builder finishes.  We've redone flooring and paint but our cabinets are exactly like our two closest neighbors.   It was strange in the beginning to go to neighbors houses and everyone had the same tile, cabinets and paint. 

• Love 2

I can't add much more to the discussion about the Phoenix couple, except to say that her voice was extremely annoying; it was so sharp-sounding.  His wasn't much better but maybe he just mimicked her since she seems to have his balls in her purse. 

• Love 1
Plus, a lot of people don't know that the condo ass'n can foreclose just like the mortgage company if you get behind.  I don't know if that's the case everywhere though.

it's not. We can go after the assessments if the unit is foreclosed on or when it's sold, as well as put the owner in collection, but can't instigate a foreclosure.

Any chance the producers futz with voices in post-production? Or is this show a magnet for the country's most annoying voices?

• Love 1

I too lived in a new home in one of those HOA-controlled neighborhoods in Florida. It's all dependent on both the builder and HOA. All are different. We were looking at a house that the financing had fallen through on. Building had stopped, but the previous owner had already had ugly green carpet put in (and ugly cabinets and the ugliest granite I've ever seen). The builders were going to replace it with whatever we wanted. Now I suspect this was because it wouldn't sell with that carpet otherwise they'd have never offered to replace it. We went with a different home and could do whatever we wanted inside, but most things outside had to have HOA approval. My mother-in-law, however, got into trouble for not having white curtains. They wanted all the windows to look the same from the street. She was in a different neighborhood with much older and less expensive homes. You just never know.

I prefer having an HOA in my former type of neighborhood as IMO they keep property values up. I don't want to pay $400,000 for a McMansion only to have my neighbor put cars on blocks in his driveway or never mow their lawn.

• Love 2
(edited)

I had to delete the Phoenix episode about 5 minutes in after I saw a bunch of my Househunters hate-triggers: the word "princess," someone talking about "upgrades" and "high end finishes"; a woman claiming the master closet for herself and proclaiming that her partner can use some other space for storage. Then they showed the diamond-shopping and it was confirmed that these people are just too vain, shallow, and materialistic for me to give a shit about. So, delete button it was. Sounds like my instincts were confirmed by the rest of the show.

eta: I forgot to mention her bitching about desert landscaping in Phoenix! That was her, right? Ugh.

Edited by Peanutbuttercup
  • Love 4

QUOTE: it's not. We can go after the assessments if the unit is foreclosed on or when it's sold, as well as put the owner in collection, but can't instigate a foreclosure.QUOTE

I've been reading up on it and I guess it depends on the HOA bylaws and the state/jurisdiction because, depending on those factors, HOA can foreclose.  (My quote tags won't work.)

In California the HOA can get a lien against a property but they can't actually foreclose.

People like the Phoenix couple make me feel so good about myself.  I often wonder how they feel when they watch the show.  Do they see what we see or do they think they are adorable?  My guess is the latter.

• Love 1

The Tallahassee couple had several annoying statements of their own, but it was a nice change of pace to hear someone want a big lawn to mow given how often we get HHs who recoil in horror at yard maintenance (and watching him mow what was mostly dirt was entertaining).  Also for someone to have rejected new construction right off the bat because they couldn't afford all the upgrades they wanted.

• Love 1

@Ohwell, I don't know why the quote function isn't working for you, but for you or anyone who has that issue, you can manually type in the quote code which is simply [.quote.] text[./quote.], as such with the brackets. Just remove the periods and make sure there are no spaces with the brackets and the word "quote".  :-)  I had to add them so the formatting with the brackets would show up.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, the fact that the "houseguest" moved with them made me wonder about the relationships going on.  Especially when they showed her at the end sitting on the couch while everyone else did housework.  The female house hunter certainly was -- um -- colorful.  He said they'd been married 20 years, so they have to be 40ish.  She's a tad old for that look.  Since they bought a house over even his budget, I guess their traveling days are over.

I guess "they have a polyamorous household and this is their girlfriend, Lili" is too adventurous for HGTV. I was also considering the possibility that she was some kind of enslaved housekeeper working for a roof over her head, especially when the man said that raking all those leaves would be "Lili's job," but the shot at the end of her relaxing on the sofa while everyone cleaned around her made that seem unlikely. But really, either one of those makes more sense to me than "semi-permanent houseguest who needed a place to stay at one point in time and therefore will be moving hundreds of miles with us and is treated like a part of the family even though she has no other apparent connection."

• Love 3

I was horrified when she was shown roller skating on the wood floor.  Yes, the skates probably had rubber wheels, but even that will mark and damage the floors.  Wooden floors at roller rinks are meant to take that type of abuse, not wooden floors in houses.  I got the impression she really did not care though.  Even her mother was questioning that as she was mopping under the feet of the "semi-permanent house guest" who was bundled up like it was 20 below in the house.  I guess Denver is a bit chillier than Oklahoma and much colder than Colombia.  The husband also mentioned that "other strays" might be added to the household population and he was not talking about dogs or cats.  A very strange episode indeed.   

(edited)

Bahahahaaaaa I kinda figured this episode would be discussed here LOL!  I missed the very beginning but I immediately caught a poly vibe from them all.  Didn't Lili yell at the husband about how he was ironing her clothes too?  Hmmmm. 

And what was that with the two different budgets?  Weird. 

My sister lives in Denver and is a realtor...I wonder what neighborhoods they were looking in; nice craftsman bungalows in Denver are $$$$. 

Edited by zivadanielle
(edited)

The Bentonville, Arkansas couple.  What an ahole he was.  So full of himself.  Michael never stopped talking and, you know, he thought every single word out of his mouth was a gem.  Very smug in his self-importance.  Poor Lauren, he seems so trying, he's always "on."

Oh, they work for Walmart.  We get it, so just say it.

Edited by Bazinga

Dear Missouri couple...you didn't like each other when you met and you still don't. Why would you get married???

I wondered if it was a shotgun wedding, because they really didn't seem to like each other at all. There was lots of sniping. And it was the most interesting part of the episode - small-town Missouri is kind of dull (no offense).

I created a whole back story for them. In the kitchen of one house, the realtor said,"The girls can eat sitting at the bar." I wondered what "girls" she was talking about since the couple only had a young toddler who wouldn't be sitting on a high barstool any time soon. I decided the husband had been married with a couple of kids, they had an affair, she got pregnant and he had to get divorced to marry her. She's angry because of the ex. And that's what I got out of it even though I don't know these people from Adam.

• Love 1

I, too, had the impression that the Missouri couple didn't like each other very much either.  No warmth and almost 30 minutes of sniping and disagreeing with each other.  If it made for a tense episode, think of what it must be like 24 hours a day in their household.  As for the house, I didn't particularly like the inside or the outside of their choice.

• Love 1

Even her mother was questioning that as she was mopping under the feet of the "semi-permanent house guest" who was bundled up like it was 20 below in the house.

And the mom was really mopping that floor ... I'm not the best housekeeper, but I've been told never to truly "wet" hardwood floors.  I use Bona and other products where you spray a little bit and mop with a special mop for hardwood floors.

I'm glad they chose the Craftsman. It was a really neat house.  The "mountain contemporary" was pretty cool, although a little too modern for my tastes.  I was surprised it wasn't priced higher than it was.

Missouri couple...I heard him say, "In the beginning we went out to dinner on dates, and she ate a LOT.  I mean, she really ate a LOT.  She doesn't do that anymore.  You wouldn't know looking at her she used to eat a LOT." 

Whaat?  Was he saying she was fat?

I liked the couple buying in Orlando last night.  The airline pilot who wanted the captains house.  I was surprised that took house #2 and not #3 as the one they bought needed lots of work.

Orlando couple was nice, but I thought the guy going on and on about being afraid to be left alone, was too much.  I also was surprised that they picked #2.

I know we've talked about the Phoenix woman extensively, but they keep airing the episode. So I'll ask once again, how the f**k does this woman expect to find a mid-century modern house in Phoenix?  And the 3rd house looked like a converted office building--but no one on the show would acknowledge that fact.

• Love 2

I just watched the couple buying on the Jersey Shore. They were OK, but they had some odd ideas. What was with her not wanting a house built before 1950? I mean really....what if the house was from December, 1949? And what is it with her not liking anything old? Hate to tell her, but someday, she and hubby will get old. And has anyone ever heard of stainless steel appliances getting rusty because you live near the ocean? I have friends who live right on the Pacific, in San Diego, and their stainless steel appliances haven't rusted in 24 years.

• Love 1

Parts of the Jersey Shore house were old.  The realtor said it had been rehabbed from the roof down, but the roof structure was old/original.  When she said that, the woman sort of shrugged and said ok.  They probably couldn't afford to be next to the ocean, but after super storm Sandy who would want to be right on the ocean where your house might be destroyed?  The house was very small, but probably just fine for weekend getaways with not too many friends.  600 square feet would limit the number of guests for sure.   

. Stewedsquash, I thought the same as you about the house. My first thought was "Hey, it's a mobile home, the kind you see a lot in Florida retirement communities". I don't think I'd want a house on the ocean in New Jersey, just due to all the Nor'Easters. You have to be so careful, especially knowing that not all the areas destroyed by Sandy have been rebuilt.

I didn't like the East Nashville couple and they wishlist on their budget but I agreed with them on the holy hell WTF finishes the builder chose on the third house. I mean it was clearly a builder designed development with a few cookie cutter looking houses super close together but then the layout and finishes on the inside made.me long for neutral builder grade (which I hate) it was such a mishmash!

I will never understand new builds that are so poorly laid out. I can get over a random pole in a living space in a renovated older home because it might not just have been economically feasible for a desired remodel to not have a beam to take the load but on a just built house? No, combined with the master right at the edge of the kitchen and the master being the only entrance to the backyard screams the builder was looking for shortcuts from the moment they drew up the plans. They most likely chose the gaudy finishes so people wouldn't think about what other poor decisions they made behind the walls. Though anyone who liked those finishes deserve what they get.

They clearly chose the best house for them but being over the budget and with planned significant remodeling, I hope they don't end up house poor or in foreclosure.

Biakbiak, I thought some of the same things when I saw the layout of this house.  With a little thought, houses with good floor plans can be built on small lots.  Too often the builders are trying to squeeze every penny out of each house and don't want to hire an architect or good design draftsman.  Even the realtor agreed about that bright, shiny metal clad post in the middle of the room.  Cheaper to put up a support post than a support beam, which should be a clue that maybe other corners were cut in that house as well.  Property values in East Nashville certainly have improved over the last few years and I guess the builder is trying to attract a younger buyer who likes the industrial look as opposed to a bungalow.  I'm glad they chose a house with a large backyard for their two German Shepherds.

I just watched the Missouri couple and both my 9-year-old son and I hated them!  (But the daughter was adorable.)

We know they promote the drama and differences between the couples on HH, but this was ridiculous.  "My max budget is $150K."  "Mine is $200."  "I want to live in this town."  "I want to live in the other town."  "I want a colonial."  "I want a ranch or split-level."  Aahhh!  Why do I watch?  It is driving me crazy!

I think the split level had a really decent size and well-laid-out kitchen, and he said there wasn't enough space and he didn't know if he could cook in there.  Gah.  It was plenty spacious.

• Love 1
(edited)

We looked at a lot of model homes a few years ago(and recently). My suspicion is builders were and are going for form over function. I was shocked by the wasted space and useless floor plans. But they were striking at first glance. My dad is very talented at designing great floor plans that also look good, so the bad ones really stand out to me.

I know we've talked about the Phoenix woman extensively, but they keep airing the episode. So I'll ask once again, how the f**k does this woman expect to find a mid-century modern house in Phoenix? And the 3rd house looked like a converted office building--but no one on the show would acknowledge that fact.

I didn't realize this was the same Pheonix woman who managed to annoy me while playing HH in the background. First off she had.to.have.a.gas.stove. Then later she said she doesn't even use one oven so she doesn't need a double. I guess she lives off boiled food and stir fry. All boiled and stirred on gas, of course. Edited by bubbls
(edited)

I think I just saw a couple that would be one of the top 2 on my most hated list.  Chris and Amanda in Boston.  She is AFRAID OF EVERYTHING!!!  The house can't be more than 10 years old because...you know...ghosts!  She can't have a fiberglass tub or a combo tub because..and I quote:  "I'm not taking a bath where somebody's feet were".

Stained glass reminds her of ghosts no matter how nice the house was renovated.  Basement?  Are you crazy??

The best was one house had a beautiful bathroom in the finished basement along with a guest room but the tub was a fiberglass combo.  She doesn't want it and her husband pointed out that she won't be using it but she said:  "it doesn't matter.  It will be in my house and I have to walk by it".  I must point out that that house was 10 years old.

So they ended up buying that one and then there's a shot of her doing a sage ceremony.  OMG what a nut

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 5

Not even sure why I watch this show I always get so irritated.  But it's Saturday morning and there's nothing on tv and the World Cup doesn't come on until the afternoon.

Just watched the episode of the newlywed resident physicians buying a house in Houston.  Budget of $300K.  Surprised first of all that residents would be able to afford a house.  My impression was that they don't get paid much, but I suppose they are dual income no kids and the Houston market is more affordable than other metropolitan cities.

What annoys me about this show is that they couples always find things they don't like with the houses.  And they always seem to fixate on one or two things that are the focus of their entire search.

Woman: needs a gas stove and a pool

Man: doesn't like carpet

House 1: no pool.  hardwood floor in the front room is damaged.  no gas stove.

House 2: pool.  but has carpet.

House 3: no pool.  carpet.  doesn't like the purple paint.

Here's a thought: If you want a home that has everything to your custom specifications including paint and molding, then buy a new house in a cookie cutter community where you get to customizes all your finishes!  Simple as that.  Ultimately they chose what I thought was the nicest house and did the smart thing by just putting a big rug over the stain on the hardwood floor.

Here's a thought: If you want a home that has everything to your custom specifications including paint and molding, then buy a new house in a cookie cutter community where you get to customizes all your finishes!

I was thinking the exact thing with these two. They also kept going on about this needs work and that needs work. Do they not realize you can pay people to do this stuff??? It's not that expensive if you're willing to be patient and pay others one project at a time. They were also the type complaining about small yards and close neighbors. In a neighborhood. I kept thinking "Just buy a country place."

I know it's scripted. What I don't know is why I watch and get annoyed.

• Love 3

I was watching an episode today with a New York couple moving to Arizona.  She was supposed to be the artistic one and he the sensible accountant.   Still, everything in the houses that were original, different, and interesting, she hated and he liked.  I wasn't getting any artisic vibe from her at all and it was really annoying.  They had a chance to go in a different direction in one episode and it pretty much came down to same old.

• Love 1

Washington, D.C. episode with Alisha last night.  Oh dear, oh dear, another I want space, I want/need big closets, I want high end finishes, I want an open floor plan, I want dark hardwood floor, I need a double sink because I'm from the south, I want/need. . . I can't remember all of it, HH.  She was pleasant and not annoying for the most part, but I loved her friend and the realtor, especially the friend who was trying to bring some common sens to the house search.  First of all, she limited the search to a particular area and type of house and she's looking at old row houses that are 100 years old if not more.  Open floor plans, dark hardwood floors and large closets were not the norm then, and unless the house has been remodeled recently it isn't going to have those features.  In the end I think she made the right decision with her choice since she was so picky about all the things she wanted and thought she needed in a house.  I predict she will go over budget on the renovation; however, because I don't think she has the will power to stop adding things to her wish list.  I hope they revisit this one on a future Where Are They Now episode.  The closing scene with her and her friend was really funny.  I would like to hang out with the friend.  

• Love 1

I grew up in D.C. and all I can say is that the "Trinidad" area is, shall we say, still "evolving."  Areas in DC have all sorts of trendy names now  to attract young buyers (I guess they're trying to be like NYC) but no matter what the name, there are still areas with a lot of crime, and Trinidad is one.   The friend seemed cool though.  

• Love 2

I grew up in D.C. and all I can say is that the "Trinidad" area is, shall we say, still "evolving."  Areas in DC have all sorts of trendy names now  to attract young buyers (I guess they're trying to be like NYC) but no matter what the name, there are still areas with a lot of crime, and Trinidad is one.   The friend seemed cool though.  

I'm fairly familiar with DC, worked there for a few years, have friends that live there, but my husband had to explain to me exactly where Trinidad is. Sure wouldn't be my ideal neighborhood. And I literally said OMG with the Anacostia house.  I enjoyed watching it. I'd love to see the final house after renovation.

• Love 2

So last night was very strange.  First of all it was HH Vintage.  I perked up because the house I've lived in for the past 35 years was built in 1902.  I couldn't get over the prices...$200,000 to $215,000.  This was in Baltimore.  But the HHs were sending mixed signals..I mean you know you WANT a vintage house but your complaints were strange.  No walk in closets?  Not in those days.  I still don't understand the complaints about the kitchens.  Were they too modern?  One was too vintage.  What were they looking for?

And why was a man narrating.  Go away man..bring back the girl.

• Love 2

Washington, D.C. episode with Alisha last night.  Oh dear, oh dear, another I want space, I want/need big closets, I want high end finishes, I want an open floor plan, I want dark hardwood floor, I need a double sink because I'm from the south, I want/need. . . I can't remember all of it, HH.  She was pleasant and not annoying for the most part, but I loved her friend and the realtor, especially the friend who was trying to bring some common sens to the house search.

She didn't bother me too much.

I agree, and I would definitely want to see the end result.  I was with her on the double sink in the kitchen though.  Every cook has his/her own preference, but I know I like a divided sink so that I can have a small dish drainer in one side for the few things that I like to wash by hand and let drip dry.

I did love the house that had been redone and thought she was going to choose that.  The decorating and finishes were all very on-trend and attractive. Regarding closets, yet they were small, but if it is ONLY YOU, you can put your clothes in all of the closets!

• Love 2

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just didn't like the Austin woman looking for her first house. I liked her boyfriend, who seemed like he had his act together, but she just bugged me. I was surprised by the choices she was given, knowing her budget wasn't all that low. I was shocked that she took the terribly tiny house.

• Love 1