Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

Catching up on the DVR, just saw Nashville Christmas proposal and my inner grinch must speak.

"We have been going out for almost 3 years now".  They want to move from "our current home",   Are looking for "our first home", where we will have "our first Christmas" and "where we will start our lives together".

You have been together for 3 years.  You live together, in a home.  You are having a baby.  I think your lives together started already.  I guess it doesn't count without a ring and a mortgage.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 18
10 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The initial voiceover said they were empty-nesters but there was no mention of grandkids. I put them in their mid to late 50s, given that they said they'd known each other since high school and the voiceover said "Forty years later ..." I chuckled when she said he was a wild boy in high school because there's nothing about him now that says "wild."

I suspect pageant crowns aren't particularly valuable (meaning actual monetary value) except for the name brand ones (Miss America, etc.), but I have no familiarity with that world.

I kept wondering about all the entertaining they were going to be doing given that they'd moved to a new place. Maybe the husband's job was high-profile enough that he'd be having work parties at home.

Mrs. Ottis, who normally isn’t one to think among these lines, pegged the Madison couple as swingers. Once we saw the pageant stuff, we knew it would be the biggest house. 

I grew up in VA. “Rancher” isn’t a thing. It’s sonething that family says. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Huh? I kept slowly shaking my head in bewilderment while watching the Rhode Island episode tonight. They were just...stupid.

I found them to be really unpleasant people. They seemed really whiny and unhappy.  They didn’t even seem excited about the stuff they liked.  Watching their teen children pounding away on that beautiful grand piano at the end was just sad.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Portland, Oregon to Madison, Wisconsin. Total fake storyline with the wife wanting to downsize. They ended up with the 4500 sq ft house. How much entertaining do they do??? I don't think they could have mentioned it more times. Was surprised it was just the two of them pictured at the end with their wine. Why weren't they entertaining all of the husband's new coworkers? Lol.

This was so irritating, and I didn't like any of the houses.  And they were all proud they weren't over budget from some weird McMansion that was also a duplex in Verona (who knew gigantic, highly upgraded, super expensive duplexes outside of actual cities were a thing?).  I go to Verona to do biking events sometimes (it's hilly), and it's probably a nice place to live, but not where I'd live if I wanted to be in Madison.

Not sure if it was fake or the wife was just delusional about what downsizing meant (but given how the show works, probably fake).

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 3

I lived in Madison for four years going to college.  The wife kept mentioning living downtown, but I hate to tell her that in Madison, it's a college town and the "downtown" she wants is smack in the middle of the campus, and believe me, you don't want to live there.  It's nothing but bars, restaurants, student housing and campus buildings.  And she really pissed me off with her obvious dislike of seeing barns.  Give me a break.  This is Wisconsin, and there are a lot of farms.  Middleton, a very nice suburb, is where a lot of corporate people live.  Verona, where their house is located, is 9 miles from central Madison.  She made it sound like she'd need to take a train to get to civilization.  Bozo. 

The Rhode Island couple were totally unlikeable.  I found the husband to be very skeevy-----he looked like he needed a flea dip.  And what was his thing about neighbors?  Does he like to do creepy things?   

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I found them to be really unpleasant people. They seemed really whiny and unhappy.  They didn’t even seem excited about the stuff they liked.  Watching their teen children pounding away on that beautiful grand piano at the end was just sad.

I kept thinking mob connections. 😆

22 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Rhode Island couple were totally unlikeable.  I found the husband to be very skeevy-----he looked like he needed a flea dip.  And what was his thing about neighbors?  Does he like to do creepy things?   

Can’t have the neighbors see you burying bodies, can you?

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Loved the family who was relocating from Minnesota to Atlanta. They all just seemed really sweet and fun and nice. I liked all the houses they looked at too - the exterior of the first house was gorgeous.

I liked them too, and thought they should pick the first house, although I liked the exterior of the third the most.  (I think they are saving more likable people/stories for the holiday shows, although the "I need this for decorations" is kind of silly.)

The second was fine, but it wasn't a craftsman, that description was weird.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I fell asleep on them but I remember thinking about the guy: "That dye job isn't fooling anyone."

• Love 3

I almost turned off the TV after 5 minutes of the Rhode Island episode, but it was like watching a car crash and I couldn't look away.  The couple reminded me of the characters on the original Roseanne show.  The producers were probably overjoyed when that audition tape appeared.  I did not care for the exterior of the house they purchased.  It was truly a strange looking structure.  I wonder if/when they plan to add another bedroom(s) for the children who live with them.  Converting a stable area isn't going to be cheap.  These people, including the realtor, were so riveting (not in a good way), that I barely remember the other 2 houses that they looked at.  I do remember that the 3rd one was very pretty from the outside, but it was not as appealing on the inside.  I need to do some research on Rhode Island.    

• Love 2

Mrs. Ottis, who normally isn’t one to think among these lines, pegged the Madison couple as swingers. 

Me too!!!  There was something creepy and gross about the husband.

The husband in the Rhode Island episode was like some kind of Joey Buttafuoco throwback.  I must have missed something....his 2 kids had to go live with their Mother and the other 2 had to share a room because they were turning the barn into extra bedrooms?  Huh??  The daughter living with them was too old to have to share a room with her little brother.   

• Love 8
18 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Catching up on the DVR, just saw Nashville Christmas proposal and my inner grinch must speak.

"We have been going out for almost 3 years now".  They want to move from "our current home",   Are looking for "our first home", where we will have "our first Christmas" and "where we will start our lives together".

You have been together for 3 years.  You live together, in a home.  You are having a baby.  I think your lives together started already.  I guess it doesn't count without a ring and a mortgage.

I didn't understand it either.  I must have missed her saying they live together.  When she said this would be their first Christmas together, I literally thought they met after Christmas last year and did the math in my head and thought, whoa she got pregnant pretty fast.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, laredhead said:

I almost turned off the TV after 5 minutes of the Rhode Island episode, but it was like watching a car crash and I couldn't look away.  The couple reminded me of the characters on the original Roseanne show.  The producers were probably overjoyed when that audition tape appeared.  I did not care for the exterior of the house they purchased.  It was truly a strange looking structure.  I wonder if/when they plan to add another bedroom(s) for the children who live with them.  Converting a stable area isn't going to be cheap.  These people, including the realtor, were so riveting (not in a good way), that I barely remember the other 2 houses that they looked at.  I do remember that the 3rd one was very pretty from the outside, but it was not as appealing on the inside.  I need to do some research on Rhode Island.    

I almost didn't hate the husband but that was only in comparison to the wife. She was negative about everything, including her own husband. So they were going to add insulation, heat, and presumably plumbing to the stable and the two kids will live in a separate structure? That will be interesting when they're both teenagers. The couple was just bizarre. I knew they picked that first one when we saw the piano in it as they toured it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I almost didn't hate the husband but that was only in comparison to the wife. She was negative about everything, including her own husband. So they were going to add insulation, heat, and presumably plumbing to the stable and the two kids will live in a separate structure? That will be interesting when they're both teenagers. The couple was just bizarre. I knew they picked that first one when we saw the piano in it as they toured it.

That couple made my Top Ten list of Most Obnoxious House Hunters.

If they'd bought the 3-bedroom house the boy and girl that live with them would each have a room and they could share with the other boy and girl when they visit if twin beds were put in each bedroom. His "children" looked old enough that they should be out on their own sooner rather than later anyway.

I doubt they ever convert the attached stable to bedrooms and bathroom. The wife's big deal was living within a mile of her mommy and that swimming pool she wants will get put in before any work goes on inside the house. Selfish parents, both of them.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, laredhead said:

Super strange episode.  I liked the third house, although it needed work (agree it was not as appealing on the outside), and I thought the second was the best fit for them, so of course they took the totally bizarre (and two bed!) first place, which I hated.

• Love 4

The Bickersons from Rhode Island:  I agree with everyone else...they were horrible people!  Their personalities obviously had rubbed off on the younger children.  I understand neither one of them not wanting to share a room, but they acted like total jerks to each other!  It's not the brother's/sister's fault that the parents are complete idiots for buying a two bedroom house with four kids!  No one in that family showed any respect to each other or to that piano!  If I didn't know better, I would have thought the realtor was related to one of them - she was just as awful as the couple.  Or maybe their shit personalities rubbed off on her too.  He reminded me of a greasier, douchier and more gross version of Andrew Dice Clay.  I'm glad he didn't want to be close to any neighbors...pretty sure no one wants to be near them either!  Those stables are never going to be converted and she's never getting a pool!

TN lady with 4 kids:  She was awesome!  I loved that she shared her room with the youngest child so the three teenagers could have their own spaces.  I didn't hear what she did for a living so I looked her up.  In addition to her regular job, she's an instructor for prospective foster parents and she volunteers with feeding the homeless as well.  She mentioned in the beginning that she had a rough childhood and it seemed like she really just wanted to be able to give her kids a loving home.  Surprisingly, she is able to that with mismatch appliances. 😉  I wanted to give her a hug at the end when she was tearing up.  

• Love 14

I actually enjoyed the hell out of the Rhode Island Mafia episode! Not that I enjoyed the people, but the situation was hilarious. The whole intro was about how her "style" completely clashes with his "style", and I'm like "methinks 'style' is not a word much associated with these two." Then came the parade of increasingly tacky, eye-assaulting shirts on both of them and knew my instincts were right.

I actually enjoyed the husband's response to the wife's immediate "I hate it" upon walking towards the first house: "What? You wanna turn around?" Bah!! (Mind you, that was one helluva heinous-looking house.)

And I think that agent needs to check out some YouTube make-ups tips. The eyeliner spackled on her lower lids looked really unfortunate in the exterior shots.

Between this episode and Escape at Dannemora, I'm thinking that folks employed in the prison system may really need a visit from the Queer Eye guys.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, msmarjoribanks said:

Watched the new LA episode.  Probably more later, but houses in LA are crazy expensive.

And, they overbid to get the house. The house was selling for $759,000 but they paid $816,000. Rich people problems. I would never pay over asking for a house. I can’t imagine doing it. That said, I couldn’t afford a $700,000 home. I’m poor like that. LOL!!!!!

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

And, they overbid to get the house. The house was selling for $759,000 but they paid $816,000. Rich people problems. I would never pay over asking for a house. I can’t imagine doing it. That said, I couldn’t afford a $700,000 home. I’m poor like that. LOL!!!!!

And they called their poor kid “Salvie”! 🙄

• Love 2
On 12/12/2018 at 11:50 PM, LittleIggy said:

I kept thinking mob connections. 😆

Can’t have the neighbors see you burying bodies, can you?

Maybe...he wrote a book "It is a reality based mafia novel set in the 1970s. This book spans from New York to Rhode Island. It is the closest you will ever come to taken the oath or taken a bullet."  https://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Dead-Man-Michael-Pescione/dp/1595711511

Edited by juliet73
the quote I copied and pasted had a misspelling
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, ByaNose said:

In many areas of California, unless you offer more than asking, you aren't going to get the house. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and bidding wars are not uncommon.

17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

And they called their poor kid “Salvie”! 🙄

That was a rather unfortunate nickname, I agree.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2018 at 7:04 AM, ByaNose said:

I missed the first few minutes of the show. I thought the older lady was the young woman's mother. It wasn't until the end that I realized they were a couple. Yup! I'm clueless. The house was okay but it needed a lot of work. I'd be curious to see the after reno. They had a big wish list but a pretty small budget (can't recall what that was) and, it looks like it needs serious work.

This was recently rerun.  I was confused about the relationship at first too, but figured it out when they were talking about raising the boys.  I think the younger woman looked young for her age.

I enjoyed the episode and really wanted the 2nd house, but figured they'd pick the third.  Hope it gets shown after reno.  I think their budget was $400K and it was only $250K (the others were $350K and $390K), so they should be able to do their main projects.

They wanted one floor (old dogs and possible concern about themselves when older) and got shown three places with second floors and basements, although the third seemed more of a modified split level.  My parents bought a house after they retired that HAD to be one floor (my mom had health issues and mobility issues and could not do stairs), and it was really hard to find and came at a premium, and my dad sold it for a good increase after my mom passed away when he decided to move further into the country.  I LIKE stairs but still notice how many HHers do not, and am surprised at how little the market seems to respond given what we see in many markets (and I say this as someone who doesn't really care for ranch houses, but ranches are perfect for this).  I assume it's because of land costs (might be different elsewhere, as I am in Chicago and my parents were in the Portland burbs, both areas where land is more at a premium).  Could also be that ranch houses are associated with the '70s, so feel out, dunno (as a child of the '80s maybe that's why I hate them). ;-)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The Norfolk's wife wig was bad - the color was too dark. She also seemed kind of mean.

She was really bitchy. That single story house was so nice and didn't need work. So they buy the house with horrible wallpaper everywhere and need to reno the bathroom and kitchen. Those are not inexpensive "projects" and I can't blame her husband for being concerned. The entire house was just tacky so naturally she loved it.

• Love 4

I can't remember what it was, but the realtor made a suggestion and the Norfolk wife said something like "Thanks for the helpful suggestion!" in this really snide, sarcastic way. She also talked about how her husband was cheap and her tone was mean. I was put off by her. I think her husband even called her mean in their intro talking head.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I can't remember what it was, but the realtor made a suggestion and the Norfolk wife said something like "Thanks for the helpful suggestion!" in this really snide, sarcastic way. She also talked about how her husband was cheap and her tone was mean. I was put off by her. I think her husband even called her mean in their intro talking head.

I found her to be mean and nasty, too.  Very impressed with herself for no good reason.  The house they chose was a mess and will cost a bundle to renovate.  The second house, the ranch, was just beautiful, so, of course, she doesn't want it; probably because her husband liked it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

She was really bitchy. That single story house was so nice and didn't need work. So they buy the house with horrible wallpaper everywhere and need to reno the bathroom and kitchen. Those are not inexpensive "projects" and I can't blame her husband for being concerned. The entire house was just tacky so naturally she loved it.

Yeah, they should have gotten the single story house.  The third one was a hot mess, and is going to take a ton of work.  Most of the things the wife liked about were awful also (like the staircase) -- she had bad taste.

• Love 3

What was with the room in the Norfolk episode that had red carpet and looked like it had railings for a flight of stairs in the middle of the room? I was admittedly not paying full attention but I never figured out what was going on there.

And yes, the wife was a bitchy PITA with terrible hair and terrible taste. Given the shot of her ass from below in that climbing harness, I don't think the editors cared for her, either.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Thanks so much for posting this link!

Some thoughts:

Morticia, the realtor, struck me as a goth in her time off. She also seemed very put out by these two.

Having never been to R.I. I was surprised by their distinctive nasal accent.

Here in Southern California where we landscape everything with water we don't have and pay too much for, I was surprised to notice no one seems to landscape around the house or put up property line hedges. Water for landscape is free back east so is this just a style or is there something I'm missing that is dictating the bare look? Critters? Access to get under the house?

Edited by Kenzie

Thanks for the link.  

The Jersey Shore moves to suburbia.  Why would you ever buy a 2 bedroom house?  Those kids are too old to be sharing a room.   They should have done with less land and more house!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, edie3 said:

Thanks for the link.  

The Jersey Shore moves to suburbia.  Why would you ever buy a 2 bedroom house?  Those kids are too old to be sharing a room.   They should have done with less land and more house!

I've seen NYCers with multiple kids in two-bedrooms because space is at a premium (my grandmother liked to talk about how she shared a room with her three sisters until the oldest left home, two to a bed), but the Rhode Islanders had other options! I laughed when the teens were basically like "Fuck this."

• Love 3

I tried to watch it but these two were so horribly unpleasant I only got halfway through.  And knowing they chose the two bedroom ahead of time was shocking when I saw the ages of those kids.  1700 square feet and 2 bedrooms is nuts.  That much space wasted on the master and the attached closet was just stupid.

I'd go live with grandma or somebody to get away from that pair of idiots.

• Love 4
On 12/13/2018 at 9:55 PM, msmarjoribanks said:

Watched the new LA episode.  Probably more later, but houses in LA are crazy expensive.

And the neighborhoods they were looking in aren't that great--in the general vicinity of the University of Southern California, which is known for being an expensive college located in a ghetto.  Apparently the area's being gentrified--light rail goes through Exposition Park and Jefferson Park.  But until it is fully made over, residents still have the problem of shopping in shitty stores where they keep the razor blades and laundry detergent locked up, which I always find dispiriting.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Apparently the area's being gentrified--light rail goes through Exposition Park and Jefferson Park.  But until it is fully made over, residents still have the problem of shopping in shitty stores where they keep the razor blades and laundry detergent locked up, which I always find dispiriting.

That sounds like certain parts of DC.

• Love 1

I finally saw the Norfolk, VA episode.  I......I.........don't even know where to start.

First, the wig.  The bad, bad, wig.  It just seemed so unnecessary.  Ok, enough with the shallow stuff.

I actually thought that she wasn't too bad for about the first five minutes, I thought she was trying to be funny but came off as sarcastic.  Then she kept harping about wanting a plantation style home with a Gone With the Wind staircase.  Honey, you ain't no Scarlett and, furthermore, why would you want to be?  (Admittedly, it's a personal issue for me because as an African American, whenever I hear "plantation" style home, my left eye starts to twitch.) 

I liked the second house the best.  At least they didn't call it a "rancher."  That third house that they chose was a horrible a money pit.

Finally, I cringed when he was trying to haul her ass up in that getup.  At first I couldn't figure out WTF he was trying to do with her.  He mentioned playing football and having bad knees, which was why he preferred a ranch house.  They were trying to be "cute" for the camera but that was a bad idea.  If he tries that again she will cripple him. 

• Love 9
On 12/13/2018 at 5:54 AM, laredhead said:

They should have titled it The Jersey Shore Moves to Rhode Island.

He looked ridiculous in his overly dyed greasy hair and unbuttoned shirts that were too small for him. He also looked like he smelled like B.O. and Axe body spray.

The realtor look like she had come back from the dead. Her eyes were really creepy.

Edited by BTBAM310
  • Love 11

Medford! The first house was actually in my sister’s neighborhood, you can see my brother-in-laws flag pole though he will probably be pissed because you could really only make out the American flag and he flies both the American and Canadian flag because he and my niece have dual citizenship. The house finally sold, it’s the smallest/cheapest in the neighborhood, after several months on the market when others sold within a week of being listed even those listed on the winter.

It was obvious that they would be going with the one “undergoing renovations” but given her budget it’s the one that made sense.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Boston. Matt boyfriend of Natalia.....Yowza!!!!! And, he’s a contractor, too. Nuff said. Also, she has horrible choices in paint color but a great choice in Matt. LOL!!!!

She'd better be careful that one of her roommates doesn't snatch him up, lol.   I haaated the paint color in the living room.  It actually hurt my eyes.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Medford! The first house was actually in my sister’s neighborhood, you can see my brother-in-laws flag pole though he will probably be pissed because you could really only make out the American flag and he flies both the American and Canadian flag because he and my niece have dual citizenship. The house finally sold, it’s the smallest/cheapest in the neighborhood, after several months on the market when others sold within a week of being listed even those listed on the winter.

It was obvious that they would be going with the one “undergoing renovations” but given her budget it’s the one that made sense.

Cool!  Sounds like your sister deserves at least the $500 stipend, right?

Given their market, why'd the decoy require an extended marketing period?  Was it overpriced, considering its condition?  Get the "problem house" reputation for that reason and sit on the market?  Just curious ...

It's not unusual, in my experience for fixers to receive multiple offers in good markets.  In fact, b/c of their lower initial offering price, they often receive more offers than move-in ready homes!

9 minutes ago, aguabella said:

Given their market, why'd the decoy require an extended marketing period?  Was it overpriced, considering its condition?  Get the "problem house" reputation for that reason and sit on the market?  Just curious ...

No idea but it ended up selling for 20k ($485k) more than the price they showed on the show so multiple offers is likely, they filmed in late April/early May and the house sold in June. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No idea but it ended up selling for 20k ($485k) more than the price they showed on the show so multiple offers is likely, they filmed in late April/early May and the house sold in June. 

Thx.  Yes, it's best to expect an extended marketing period with a fixer.  Or, even better, have no expectations!  Have seen so many sellers make assumptions in that type of market, overprice and then ... crickets.

And, they had the typical 6 month plus HH post-production period.

21 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Boston. Matt boyfriend of Natalia.....Yowza!!!!! And, he’s a contractor, too. Nuff said. Also, she has horrible choices in paint color but a great choice in Matt. LOL!!!!

Good-looking but not so sure about his RE cred.  Yeah, the pinkish / salmon walls?  I assume she doesn't plan on selling soon but hope he's around to repaint!   Sure, buyers can repaint but it's really true (in general) that they make their decision in a few minutes either consciously or subconsciously.  Why give many of them an immediate turn-off?   

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, aguabella said:

Good-looking but not so sure about his RE cred.  Yeah, the pinkish / salmon walls?  I assume she doesn't plan on selling soon but hope he's around to repaint!   Sure, buyers can repaint but it's really true (in general) that they make their decision in a few minutes either consciously or subconsciously.  Why give many of them an immediate turn-off?   

I was so torn if it was pink or salmon. Both were equally ugly for a living room color. 

• Love 1