Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

TX ep:  Buyers commented how quiet the neighborhood was at the 3rd house until they go out in the fenced in backyard that backs up to a very green forest. The husband complains how loud it is because he can hear the neighbor's air conditioner and the wife thinks the dog will be annoyed by all the "chirping bugs."  In the 2nd house, the wife didn't know if she could get past the ONE red wall in the dining room! UGH!  They both had the personality of wet noodles!

Cincinnati:  The husband seemed to complain about everything.  And fyi, they do make baby gates for super wide entries.  Also, the niche in the dining room of the 2nd house was probably for a buffet/china cabinet.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Chicago couple tonight. Did not like the pretentious twit of a guy. Of course, he bought the ‘showstopper ‘ house that was way over budget. He was all about trying to impress people.  He said that he learned to compromise, but did he? Did his girlfriend get anything she wanted? And hadn’t he looked at almost 60 houses? He was obnoxious. Felt sorry for his agent. His girlfriend looked like Tiffany Trump.

He was something.  She seems like the more practical one of the couple, and he is someone who likes to spend a lot of money on the finer things and impressing others.  I hope he has the salary and job security to back that up. 

They will enjoy that roof deck, though will struggle with storage and closet space. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

The wife reminded me of Annabella Sciorra (the wife from The Hand that Rocks the Cradle).

I was trying to think who she reminded me of, and that's her.

• Love 1

Fung Shui consultant?!?!?   What the heck.  This woman wanted so much for her $200k budget .... but the worst part was her leading us on for the whole show that she had a mom that couldn’t climb steps and then buys a 2  story and works with her therapist to help the mom go up steps!

If she said Fung Shui one more time  grrrrrrrr

• Love 9

I cannot believe that Newport News doesn't have any houses that would have accommodated that woman's mother better than the one they bought.  Yes, there is a bedroom downstairs, but only a half bath so the mother still has to go up and down stairs to bathe.  The townhouse was a definite no, and the only way out to the backyard would have been through the downstairs bedroom.  I wasn't impressed with any of the choices.  On the plus side, no mention from either one about needing granite, SS appliances, or the other usual "must haves".  I'm glad the dogs got a yard, and the husband got a place to grill.  

• Love 4

As a scientist, I just can't with the whole feng shui nonsense. Good grief, could she have said it more often? And she doesn't adhere to it strictly - but it's very important. That's crap thinking. So pretentious. What a twit. Poor Mom.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

As a scientist, I just can't with the whole feng shui nonsense. Good grief, could she have said it more often? And she doesn't adhere to it strictly - but it's very important. That's crap thinking. So pretentious. What a twit. Poor Mom.

I wanted to punch her at the 10th mention of Feng Shui!  Oh, and she hired a Feng shui consultant! A white woman...🙄

2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Fung Shui consultant?!?!?   What the heck.  This woman wanted so much for her $200k budget .... but the worst part was her leading us on for the whole show that she had a mom that couldn’t climb steps and then buys a 2  story and works with her therapist to help the mom go up steps!

I wonder if they could get a stair lift installed. Or would that violate the rules of Feng shui? 🤭

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

As a scientist, I just can't with the whole feng shui nonsense. Good grief, could she have said it more often? And she doesn't adhere to it strictly - but it's very important. That's crap thinking. So pretentious.

Whew!  I'm glad that I wasn't the only one ready to scream the next time and the next time...

None of those houses were very impressive for some someone so pretentious.

• Love 6

I liked the fact that the Rochester couple talked about how they had to postpone house buying until the paid off $100k in student loans. We never hear anything like this on House Hunters. Usually, it is just--my budget is $300k, but we ended up buying the $500k house and are doing $150k in renovations. How does that work??

At the end of the show, the wife's mother had the exact same curly pony tail hairstyle as the wife. LOL.

• Love 1

Rochester couple seemed nice.  It was obvious they'd take the house that was already furnished.  The wife said she was a beauty and skin care consultant but I couldn't help noticing that she had bad skin under her makeup, probably from wearing too much makeup too often.   

23 minutes ago, topanga said:

Maine. How horrible was the wife? She insulted her husband every time she opened her mouth. I know she thought she was joking, but she sounded really, really mean.

They were both annoying. I wondered if he had arthritic knees the way the husband went on about stairs. I loved that first house. It was gorgeous. 

Where had the daughter been? I missed the first few minutes.

• Love 5

The Maine couple painted all the woodwork in the upstairs unit, one of my pet peeves.  The downstairs woodwork was so beautiful; I wish they had carried that through upstairs. 

I liked the houses we were shown this episode.  Very different from the usual cookie cutter, and I do like that they wanted a smaller place.

• Love 3

They were both annoying.

Yes, I think they were both pretty mean spirited towards each other.  He had some biting remarks but she seemed like kind of a bubble head and he was just over it.  

On 2/4/2019 at 10:39 PM, Pickles said:

The Chicago couple tonight. Did not like the pretentious twit of a guy. Of course, he bought the ‘showstopper ‘ house that was way over budget. He was all about trying to impress people.  He said that he learned to compromise, but did he? Did his girlfriend get anything she wanted? And hadn’t he looked at almost 60 houses? He was obnoxious. Felt sorry for his agent. His girlfriend looked like Tiffany Trump.

Pickles, there was some pretty amusing commentary on this episode when it aired.  I'm quite certain that girlfriend has been long gone for a while now.  Poor thing, she certainly had diamond rings in her eyes and I think he was in a completely different place!

Was the Colorado episode that followed the Maine episode a rerun?  What in the world caused that poor girls phobia of grout?  Are you kidding me?  Yes, in certain places (like on a countertop) I could see where you'd want to avoid it because of cleaning.  But to expect a grout-free bathroom?  They were an odd couple.  I think he picked Miss Mousey so he could feel superior.  Her constant over the top giggling at everything he said must have built up his ego.  I finally had to turn it off and I didn't even care which place they picked.  I wish she would've spent some time in the shower washing her gross greasy hair before appearing on t.v.  She reminded me of a Duggar.   

On 2/5/2019 at 9:33 AM, crimsongrl said:

I just realized they've removed the voiceovers and the recaps after every commercial break. They're still in HHI though.

I liked the Cincinnati couple too. The wife reminded me of Annabella Sciorra (the wife from The Hand that Rocks the Cradle).

She does look like her, you're right!  Her hair though.  She looked like she had just gotten out of the shower and had not run a comb through it.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, izabella said:

The Maine couple painted all the woodwork in the upstairs unit, one of my pet peeves.  The downstairs woodwork was so beautiful; I wish they had carried that through upstairs. 

Actually, the downstairs unit woodwork was already painted white. They painted the upstairs trim to look the same.

46 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Actually, the downstairs unit woodwork was already painted white. They painted the upstairs trim to look the same.

Really?!  I must have been blinded by the wood floors.  I could have sworn the columns weren't painted!

I rarely watch HH, but caught the Maine couple. I'm in the minority here. I thought they were funny, especially him. I liked his concern about the door bell and his referring to his daughter as being like family.  I took everything they said as tongue-in-cheek (I admit that I'm one of those people who finds myself stunned by people who take outrageous things I say seriously). 

I'm always queasy when people paint over wood trim, but they're the ones living here. It's not quite like Allison Victoria who destroys trim and flips the house. 

Edited by mojito
  • Love 3

Can we give an award to sweetest family for the Tallahassee episode??  Loved them and especially the scene at the end with the toolbox!  What a lovely, reasonable young woman.  I had to laugh at her Mom calling her tastes "old".  What a nice problem to have; a young person who appreciates some character and doesn't need to see marble and stainless steel.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I liked the Tallahassee family too. I would be a little afraid of encountering snakes in that shed/carport area that she was going to use as her workshop. 

That cabin-looking shed way back on that older house she didn’t pick made me think of snakes.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

That cabin-looking shed way back on that older house she didn’t pick made me think of snakes.

Not just snakes, but I imagined a serial killer or other criminal hiding from police in that shed.

While I didn't care for any of the houses, I thought the Tallahassee family was very nice.  I missed the first few minutes, so what does she do for a living, and what kinds of DIY projects was she referring to?   

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Not just snakes, but I imagined a serial killer or other criminal hiding from police in that shed.

While I didn't care for any of the houses, I thought the Tallahassee family was very nice.  I missed the first few minutes, so what does she do for a living, and what kinds of DIY projects was she referring to?   

She was an athletic director at one of the colleges/universities there. I didn't pay enough attention to any possible DIY projects. 

• Love 3

Is this a new format where the house hunters are shown approaching the house on foot from the street, with no car in sight? I noticed this last night with the Florida family and the Atlanta episode has started the same way too. 

That house they chose in the Atlanta (Alpharetta) episode was pretty awful. No curb appeal at all. Weird spiral-like staircase. The house seemed so choppy. That indoor terrarium thing? Is that what you call it? I really thought they would go with house number one. 

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

That house they chose in the Atlanta (Alpharetta) episode was pretty awful. No curb appeal at all. Weird spiral-like staircase. The house seemed so choppy. That indoor terrarium thing? Is that what you call it? I really thought they would go with house number one. 

I think the house they bought, based on the view, was in Kennesaw. They did show a Kennesaw water tower at one point. Gorgeous view.

That third house was hideous, so I was sure that would be the one they bought.  Miss Picky-pants had no taste, so i figured it would appeal to her.  

I hope they never get any pets, because that weird planter area under the stairs looked like a great pee spot.

The first house looked like there was a spiral staircase from the kitchen area down to the garage.  I can’t imagine trying to drag grocery bags up that every week.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

I don't think anyone has commented on the McKinney, Texas couple from an episode earlier this week.  One of the houses they saw looked like it had been been done by Joanna Gaines on speed.  Barn doors everywhere, ship lap on so many walls I lost count, and that rustic look paint job in every room it seemed.  If a realtor had shown me that house, my first question would have been "When will it be remodeled and finished?"   That look is going to get old fast, but if you have a toddler that likes to draw on walls, you won't be able to see the damage.  I'm glad they did not choose that house.  Now I can't even remember which house they did buy.  

• Love 1
On 2/13/2019 at 12:50 PM, Ohwell said:

She refinished/restored old furniture and wanted a space to do that. 

• Love 1
On 2/13/2019 at 12:50 PM, Ohwell said:

While I didn't care for any of the houses, I thought the Tallahassee family was very nice. 

Me too. When her dad was talking about the tool kit she got as a child, I thought that was so cute - and then when he gave her another one, I thought it was adorable when she teared up. I loved when she likened an open concept floor plan to a studio apartment - IMO she's exactly right. I thought she'd pick the second one since it was in her ideal neighborhood. I wouldn't have wanted a thing to do with that shed with the first house. You could have someone living back there and not know it!

• Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, Pickles said:

I liked the Tallahassee family too. I would be a little afraid of encountering snakes in that shed/carport area that she was going to use as her workshop. 

I live in N. Central Florida and I can verify the fact that there will be frogs, lizards, albino geckos, armadillos, raccoons, mosquitos, spiders, and worst of all snakes.   What a lovely family.  They were so sweet!

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

I live in N. Central Florida and I can verify the fact that there will be frogs, lizards, albino geckos, armadillos, raccoons, mosquitos, spiders, and worst of all snakes.  

ABSOLUTELY NOT. No ma'am!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

live in N. Central Florida and I can verify the fact that there will be frogs, lizards, albino geckos, armadillos, raccoons, mosquitos, spiders, and worst of all snakes.

And I cordially invite you to keep them all in your area.  Although even in far north we have raccoons, frogs, and mosquitoes. And while we have some, we lack the number and variety of nasty spiders and snakes!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I live in N. Central Florida and I can verify the fact that there will be frogs, lizards, albino geckos, armadillos, raccoons, mosquitos, spiders, and worst of all snakes.   What a lovely family.  They were so sweet!

And my personal favorite, the large palmetto bugs (roaches) that fly!  I live in Tallahassee, and was not familiar with the areas she was looking in, but thought those were high prices for those homes.

• Love 4
On 2/13/2019 at 11:11 PM, Pickles said:

Guess I’m weird because I thought that place was cool. I did love the Time Machine Bathtub/Shower in that other house. I expected a disco ball to drop down from the ceiling! 😆

• Love 2
On 2/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, CruiseDiva said:

She refinished/restored old furniture and wanted a space to do that. 

That's great that she would want to do that but I don't know if I would want to tackle renovating that space. 

21 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Me too. When her dad was talking about the tool kit she got as a child, I thought that was so cute - and then when he gave her another one, I thought it was adorable when she teared up. I loved when she likened an open concept floor plan to a studio apartment - IMO she's exactly right. I thought she'd pick the second one since it was in her ideal neighborhood. I wouldn't have wanted a thing to do with that shed with the first house. You could have someone living back there and not know it!

I wasn't crazy about the houses too but I really liked that family. They were great to watch.

17 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Yeah that's why I wouldn't want to go into that shed thing as it was.

• Love 1
On 2/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, Dewey Decimate said:

Rochester, NY couple: It's great to see Andrea from Beverly Hills 90210 looking so fantastic for her age!

OMG!!! Just watching it now. Hysterical! And, so right. Too funny!

Chesapeake VA couple was grating on all my nerves. He wants shopping and a busy area. She wants something brand new. So, they moved to North Carolina. Okay. I don't care how close it is to the state line, who moves into a construction zone and into new school systems. Ugh. Pretentious guy, annoying wife and bratty teens. 

• Love 4