Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

(edited)

Laws about fences vary from place to place from if they are required to where they have to be placed. That said even if your area doesn't require it, you can still be held liable.

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, Albino said:

I think a fence is required.  IIRC, even if a neighborhood kid sneaks into your pool and drowns you're liable.

My suggestion is to bring in Mike Holmes, who would end up re-glazing the entire pool, regrading the surrounding area, installing a safety fence with another fence around that fence, re-caulking all the windows on the house because he noticed moisture build-up, redoing the entire HVAC system because one room was chilly, putting on a new roof and possibly re-drywalling the entire house because there was a patch of mold in the basement.  It would only take 6 months. 

Is Mike Holmes ever on HGTV?  When I was in Canada, it was like the Mike HOlmes channel.   Some of it, I didn't mind.  I would rather him show up at my door than the Property Brothers. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, roseslg said:

Is Mike Holmes ever on HGTV?  When I was in Canada, it was like the Mike HOlmes channel.   Some of it, I didn't mind.  I would rather him show up at my door than the Property Brothers. 

DIY shows the same 10 episodes over and over and over.  I wonder if he's still doing the show?  He's on Home Free now, with Tim Tebow.

I like Mike Holmes but he always ends up basically tearing apart the entire home to fix a leaky faucet.  The worst was a couple who needed a new deck/walkway to their pool, and regrading the earth around it.  The final result looked ridiculous.  There were black wrought iron fences everywhere...it looked like a maze.  But I agree...I'd rather have him do my repairs than anyone else.  As long as I could stop him at some point LOL.

• Love 1

Just saw the last few minutes of the downtown Detroit episode last night. It looked so unappealing to me. The couple bought an old firehouse. Some of the rooms had cinder block walls. Reminded me of my college dorm room! No thanks. And one of the guys (it was a gay couple) was obsessed with having a hood over the range and not having a microwave over the range. His partner was annoyed, because hood guy never even cooked. Seemed like a crazy thing to be so fixated on.

• Love 5

Yeah I saw that Detroit episode and, as much as I'd like to see the city make a "comeback," it looked pretty bleak.  I did not like the firehouse condo at all.   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Laws about fences vary from place to place from if they are required to where they have to be placed. That said even if your area doesn't require it, you can still be held liable.

So imagine my surprise when I was riding my bike around Columbus, Indiana.  I went down a street to try to peek at the Miller house and saw a house with a swimming pool and no fence.  It had a low-ish hedge, and no gate on the walkway into the back yard with the pool. 

See if this google image works:  https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2263688,-85.9226324,3a,75y,311.72h,77.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s67btwiIEW1yw8m7A6Eb4Lg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is a very nice neighborhood, and I just can't believe the owner is leaving himself open to that kind of liability.  Or the heartache if a kid drowns in your unfenced pool. 

44 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah I saw that Detroit episode and, as much as I'd like to see the city make a "comeback," it looked pretty bleak.  I did not like the firehouse condo at all.   

As annoying as "hood guy" was I still liked the two of them.  I'm just not sure how realistic they were about helping to revitalize downtown Detroit.  The other thing he wanted was a "story" of the place they lived.  Yeah, like that matters when you're trying to sell it a few years from now. 

I wish them both luck.  They're going to need it.

There is actually a revitalization of some parts of Detroit, amazing as that is.  There are a bunch of yuppies interested in the Loft Life and a lot of old buildings downtown are being converted.  Of course, you are taking your life in your hands if you go out at night....

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Of course, you are taking your life in your hands if you go out at night....

Yeah, I didn't want to put that out there, but that's basically what I was getting at....

I wish them luck.

Both Detroit guys were annoying. One guy went on and on about a kitchen hood and the story of the building and the other guy was only concerned about whether or not there were bars and restaurants in walking distance. 

I'm having a hard time liking anyone on these shows. They are so damn picky when viewing houses that I would love to live in, and they nitpick the littlest things. 

• Love 2

The Detroit range hood guy was the one who also wanted the place to have a "story" and he kept saying he wanted it to have "spirit." I hope that a poltergeist doesn't take that as an invitation to haunt the firehouse condo. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Just saw the last few minutes of the downtown Detroit episode last night. It looked so unappealing to me. The couple bought an old firehouse. Some of the rooms had cinder block walls. Reminded me of my college dorm room! No thanks. And one of the guys (it was a gay couple) was obsessed with having a hood over the range and not having a microwave over the range. His partner was annoyed, because hood guy never even cooked. Seemed like a crazy thing to be so fixated on.

Don't forget...one of  them demanded the home had to have 'a story'.  *rolls eyes*

Does the hood actually do anything? Yeah, these two guys were soooooooo annoying. The taller hood guy was more so. The short blonde one just wanted to party & was ready to mingle. Also, the building needed to have a story. The only story my building has is my monthly mortgage. Does that count? 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Also, the building needed to have a story. The only story my building has is my monthly mortgage. Does that count? 

If the building just had to have a story - hell, make one up. 

I'm no spring chicken but it is all that important to have a story attached to a building?   And what kind of story?   Too much of a story will cost you in resale.  Think Clutter farm, Amityville and Nicole Simpson. 

I had the feeling that the hood guy just wanted to invite people over so he could tell them the story, not knowing that he was boring the hell out of them.

• Love 5

Perhaps he wanted to live in a rehabbed building old enough to have been a vital part of old Detroit. Would make him feel more like part of the comeback---although in parts of the city, the demand for places have priced out young former-suburbanites. (Thanks, nephew with friend who can't afford mid-city.)

30 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Perhaps he wanted to live in a rehabbed building old enough to have been a vital part of old Detroit. Would make him feel more like part of the comeback---although in parts of the city, the demand for places have priced out young former-suburbanites. (Thanks, nephew with friend who can't afford mid-city.)

That is exactly how he described it in the intro, it just got shortened to a place with a story during the rest of the episode, just like his partner described wanting to live in a walkable neighborhood became bars and restaurants during the rest of the show.

On June 30, 2016 at 1:35 PM, laredhead said:

Babalooie, I also noticed the Range Rover and thought that was an expensive vehicle.  I wonder how long it will be big enough with all of the stuff needed for triplets - strollers, car seats, etc.  I'm always curious about the vehicles the buyers have, especially the ones who say they have to stick to a low budget, and then show up in an expensive car.  Of course, leases are cheap in some cases, but a paid off car is even cheaper.  

I get that the dad wanted a big, nice house given his story about growing up in foster homes.  A house to him means stability and his ability to provide for his family.  I do wonder what he does for a living though, because he said he works in the "fashion industry".

There certainly is a huge difference in prices between Bakersfield and the LA area.  Anyone know what Bakersfield is like as a place to live?

Range Rovers are not big-family friendly, unless you buy the $200,000 SVAutobiography model, which theirs wasn't.  They're not all that big inside and once those kids get beyond infant stage, and are in the bigger car seats, there's no way. 

Didnt like the wife at all, and to be honest, I'm surprised they chose the house they did. 

Triplet mom's lipstick and false spider-leg eyelashes were very distracting. Looking at how new their babies were, though, she either got back into shape faster than any human should be able to (in which case--good for her!) or they used a surrogate. Good for him that he got a house where he can give his kids a different childhood than he had, though.

• Love 1

I was a bit distracted by the Tampa woman because she looked like Carly Fiorina.  I thought she was ok, just more outgoing since she's a sports reporter, whereas he was really laid back.  Opposites attract, I guess.  I have a feeling he goes fishing without her a lot, just to relax.

• Love 3

Tampa woman said she's a sports commentator for a "major sports network".  Anyone know which network and who she is?  I don't watch ESPN or other sports networks very much, and she wasn't familiar.  Wonder if she will keep that 4 travel days a week job after those babies start arriving?  I liked the husband.  He had a sense of humor and was very laid back, yet willing to put some sweat equity into the purchase.  My type of man - has a hobby that produces something good to eat, is laid back, funny and likes home projects.  One in a million.

Seems like the Tampa couple might have had a bigger budget, if the wife was a sports commentator for a major network. But, I have no idea what her income would be. He was a teacher. Was their budget $250k?

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Tampa woman said she's a sports commentator for a "major sports network".  Anyone know which network and who she is?  

I looked her up and she does work for ESPN. She does college sports. 

• Love 1

I really liked the Tampa couple...they seemed to genuinely like each other and had a very easy rapport.  The wife's 2 demands - a bathtub and being close to the airport - were not OTT and made sense. He was very laid back and funny.  I really liked the red house just for its unabashed redness.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Albino said:

I really liked the Tampa couple...they seemed to genuinely like each other and had a very easy rapport.  The wife's 2 demands - a bathtub and being close to the airport - were not OTT and made sense. He was very laid back and funny.  I really liked the red house just for its unabashed redness.  

Agreed. If they're having kids, they need a bathtub. If she essentially commutes to work via flight, it makes sense that she wants to be close to the airport. I would prioritize that over being close to the water for fishing*, if I had to choose. I mean, I love the water, but my involvement with it is a hobby.

*Weirdly, I really enjoy cleaning fish. I'm not interested in the fishing itself, but cleaning and filleting fish is a thing I like doing. He's right that having an outdoor space to do it is ideal though.

I was surprised by their budget too, first because she's a TV personality so I'd imagine she makes a good living, and second because Tampa is cheap! But then I thought well, if they CAN get everything they need for that price, then why not?

• Love 1

Wonder if she will keep that 4 travel days a week job after those babies start arriving?

Many women continue to work after having children.  Maybe he'll stay home with kids??

I liked them them as well.  Not too impressed with any of the homes they toured, although they did get quite a bit of space for their money.  I've always heard that East Tampa, and specifically Temple Terrace, were not the best areas.  Much different than Oldsmar, which was where the new build was located.  

My type of man - has a hobby that produces something good to eat, is laid back, funny and likes home projects.  One in a million.

I have one and couldn't be more blessed :)

Cleveland couple looking for Victorian/Colonial. I liked the house they picked but preferred the 3rd one, which was close to the top of their budget but didn't need work. The guy was all about "putting our stamp" on whatever house they chose. Usually that means tearing out walls, so maybe I should be glad they didn't choose the 3rd house. Gorgeous built-ins!

• Love 1

I don't know why they didn't go ahead and knock out half of that wall between the kitchen and dining room at the same time they removed some cabinets to make room for the refrigerator.  That would have given her a sight line into the dining area so she could watch the kids.

Maybe it was load bearing?

On ‎06‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, magemaud said:

IKR! How many times did she mention the grand prom-worthy staircase, an event probably at least sixteen years in the future! I must admit the first time I toured my current house and saw the foyer and stairs I mentally started decorating it for Christmas but at least that's a yearly event. At this point, I have now decorated it for 35 Christmases as well as taken a handful of prom pics. I can also imagine Triplet Mom as already dreaming of the day when her daughters pledge her college sorority. 

I'm surprised that she wasn't complaining about houses with staircases not being safe for children.  Because they all fall down them and die, apparently.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm surprised that she wasn't complaining about houses with staircases not being safe for children.  Because they all fall down them and die, apparently.

It's a miracle I made it into adulthood, seeing as how I grew up in a home with TWO!!!! staircases.

• Love 4

A form of Natural Selection.  We were all smart enough to live through our childhoods despite killer stairwells.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Or hardwood: the Cleveland father from yesterday's show seemed to act like a baby learning to walk absolutely needed to have carpeted floors or else face untold dangers.

• Love 4

One thing I've noticed on 95% of the newer shows is the husband trying to get a house "just like the one he grew up in".  OMG can the producers at least spread out the different stupid story lines.   I think they are insulting our intelligence.

• Love 5
(edited)

I liked the St Louis couple, but I didn't understand their thinking.  They had a very nice house, with a yard for the new baby, so why don't they just rent a commercial space and keep their house?   The buildings they looked at did not at all seem family friendly, and the living space was not only weird, but very baby not friendly.  I just thought what they were doing just didn't make sense. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I liked the St Louis couple, but I didn't understand their thinking.  They had a very nice house,neither a yard for the new baby, so why don't they just rent a commercial space and keep their house?   The buildings they looked at did not at all seem family friendly, and the living space was not only weird, but very baby not friendly.  I just thought what they were doing just didn't make sense. 

I liked them too.  And I love St Louis architecture...all the classic brick houses, wide streets and craftsman homes.  Many are abandoned now, and in very bad neighborhoods which makes me sad.

It does make more sense to just buy a shop and keep their house.  Maybe they wanted a 30 second commute?  

• Love 5

The St. Louis episode was fun to watch because it was a little different.  The place they chose was such a dump but there was something still so loveable about it!  The sun was shining so nicely through the windows when they toured.  

No complaints at all about the sweet wife but I was fascinated by her hair.  What was the desired look?  Artsy?  Duggar-fundy style? Flapper? Super-hero? Ma from Little House on the Prairie?  Polygamy-poof?  

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

What was the desired look?  Artsy?  Duggar-fundy style? Flapper? Super-hero? Ma from Little House on the Prairie?  Polygamy-poof?  

I think they said that they'd met as teens in Utah at something church-related, so I leapt to fundy when I saw her hair.

I didn't understand why they wanted out of their house either. It looked perfectly family-friendly. I get that her business was growing and she needed more space for it, which is great. I just didn't understand why they had to live there too.

• Love 1

I haven't seen the episode yet, but based on the Fundie identification, she's not allowed to really "work" and certainly not allowed to ever be away from the baby, so an at-home business is the only thing she can do.

(edited)

I cannot believe I'm the first to comment on the Smyrna, Tennessee episode last night.  She wanted grand and fancy and he wanted practical.  If you don't have more than $175,000 to spend, you aren't going to get grand and fancy.  The realtor, his cousin, gave them some good advice about overlooking the cosmetic defects and focus on the things that cannot be changed about a house - lot size, location, etc.  They ended up with the smallest house next to his mother and across the street from his sister.  Also, if you have a problem with something about your boyfriend, please don't air that dirty laundry on national TV.  Actually, it really was an airing of dirty laundry - she claimed his uniforms smelled.  Just say you prefer 2 closets in the master bedroom.  I can't believe he proposed to her in the final shot.  That couple is going into my personal list of the couples who won't see a 20th wedding anniversary unless he can find a way to buy her everything she wants. 

Edited by laredhead
spelling correction
  • Love 3

I saw most of the Smyrna, TN episode and I got the feeling from her that she thought she was marrying "down" being from Chicago and all.  You know, the big city.

*rolls eyes* 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, laredhead said:

I cannot believe I'm the first to comment on the Smyrna, Tennessee episode last night.  She wanted grand and fancy and he wanted practical.  If you don't have more than $175,000 to spend, you aren't going to get grand and fancy.  The realtor, his cousin, gave them some good advice about overlooking the cosmetic defects and focus on the things that cannot be changed about a house - lot size, location, etc.  They ended up with the smallest house next to his mother and across the street from his sister.  

She's a hairdresser.  He's a cop.  Both are fine professions, but at their age and station in life they don't need a "grand" home.  He was so level-headed and easy-to-please - I loved it when she'd complain about appliances or ceiling fans being out of date (and TBH, they were) and he would simply reply "But they work..".  The voice of reason.

She was so damn pushy about getting married...I was actually embarrassed for her.  She must have brought it up 3 times before he finally caved and proposed. I just hope that ring was blingy enough for her highfalutin, big city aesthetic.  

• Love 2

Smyrna couple:  She needed a reality check! First of all, what is a colonial craftsman?  She definitely had a champagne wishlist on a beer budget.  I understand her wanting higher ceilings because she's tall (I'm 5'11), but they don't NEED to be cathedral.  I didn't think anything of her size until I saw them standing next to each...she's a big girl or he's a little guy.  And I didn't understand her complaint about his "stinky" clothes hanging next to hers. Why would he hang up his dirty, smelly uniforms?  I'm assuming he washes them.  How many times did she mention marriage, commitment, etc?  She probably only agreed to that house IF he purposed to her.  Ha! And I don't care how much you like your in laws...next door and across the street is too close.  That's an Everybody Loves Raymond waiting to happen.   

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/6/2016 at 9:21 PM, NYGirl said:

One thing I've noticed on 95% of the newer shows is the husband trying to get a house "just like the one he grew up in".  OMG can the producers at least spread out the different stupid story lines.   I think they are insulting our intelligence.

I've never understood this and always mean to mention it here.  I grew up in a crumbling, vermin infested row house in the inner city- does that mean I"m looking for the same thing when I buy a house?! So bizarre.  I hate when they say their parents had a ranch, colonial, all one story, two levels, etc so that's what they need to have.  Why does that matter?  I guess I don't have any attachment to my family home, and maybe when one does, you try and re-create the warm memories?  

On 7/7/2016 at 1:25 AM, Albino said:

I liked them too.  And I love St Louis architecture...all the classic brick houses, wide streets and craftsman homes.  Many are abandoned now, and in very bad neighborhoods which makes me sad.

It does make more sense to just buy a shop and keep their house.  Maybe they wanted a 30 second commute?  

Wow.  Loved this episode!  Very interesting and so much better than the usual 3 different blah condos.  I'm fascinated by urban decline and revitalization, so this one and the Detroit one were great for me.  I know almost nothing about St. Louis and now I'd love to learn more about it's history and the various areas they were looking in.  Were any of the neighborhoods actually good ones for a growing business?  Does anyone have good links about this?  

The architecture looked so interesting.  I loved #2 as soon as I saw it but I thought it would be too big a project for them to take on with the baby on the way.  I was happy they chose it and hope they are shown on HH Renovation!  Would love to see the finished results!  I thought for sure they'd take #3 and take their time to add more character to the living space.  It seemed a better fit for what they needed but still glad they took on that huge building- I hope someone gives it some TLC and makes it shine again!  Those storefronts were gorgeous and I'm sad for whatever they used to be!  

On 7/7/2016 at 0:13 PM, Kiki620 said:

The St. Louis episode was fun to watch because it was a little different.  The place they chose was such a dump but there was something still so loveable about it!  The sun was shining so nicely through the windows when they toured.  

No complaints at all about the sweet wife but I was fascinated by her hair.  What was the desired look?  Artsy?  Duggar-fundy style? Flapper? Super-hero? Ma from Little House on the Prairie?  Polygamy-poof?  

Interesting look on her, I agree.  I don't think they were specifically ID's as fundy, just that he was a minister and they met at a Bible-quizzing thing in Utah.  Given the amount of space and money they were devoting to her business during the house hunt, and how dedicated he was to making sure it was the right space for her, it seems to be a major part of their lifestyle and income and not some little rinky dink thing out of the garage!  

Edited by awaken
  • Love 2

I don't give the Smyrna couple 5 years.  My brother in law and his wife bought a house two doors down from her mother. BIG mistake !!  Talk about interfering. It kind of reminded me of the Barone's in Everybody Loves Raymond where the mother in law was in every segment of their lives.  BIL made it 3 years before he told his wife that they either move or divorce.  Put their house on the market, and moved to another suburb 25 minutes away.  Saved their marriage. 

I really think the producers are the ones who tell these low budget couples to talk about high end wants. Unless they're really stupid, most people would know that $170,000 will not buy a high end fancy house with all the bells and whistles.  

• Love 4