Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E04: Hometown Glory (2)

• Start Topic

I believe that was during Alek and Lindsay's interview.  Annoyed me as well but, to be fair to Hayes, I believe Witney started it and pulled him into it.  Then he stopped and got out of the shot, while Witney kept it up, mugging and sticking out her tongue.  I know she's besties with Lindsay, but it was still bad form.

Well, he did it during theirs, but also during several other dancers' talks with Erin he was making a face or seemed like he was mugging the camera or doing something goofy. It was distracting to me. 

I could watch hours of backstories on the pros, although mainly the ones who came here from foreign countries to escape war and political oppression. It gives me pause to think of how their childhood and coming here for "the American dream" has influenced and affected them.

Yes! I kept wishing they'd had time to talk more. I didn't know that Tony was from Kosovo and after hearing that I wanted to hear more, but they jumped ahead so quickly to his time as a ballroom dancer that I don't feel like we got the full sense of what his life was like growing up there. Same with Louis - I was intrigued about him coming from Amsterdam and I wanted to hear more about his life there, but they jumped very quickly to his time as a teacher and dancing pro. I wanted to hear more stories!

Mark's story moved me as well. I'm sure he loves his mom very much and is proud of her dancing career and all he's learned from her, but it couldn't have been easy not seeing either of his parents very often. Who was taking care of him when he was that little? Broke my heart a little.

• Love 3

Sinkwriter, Mark's maternal grandmother lived with them and took care of him when his parents were traveling. I was also moved by some of the stories and wanted to know more.

As usual, there is always such a rushed feeling about the show now. The dances seem shorter than ever though I haven't timed them. In early years we got to know both Pros and celebs better with longer rehearsal packages, behind the scenes excerpts on Results show nights and Confessionals. Everything is more clipped, shallow and gimmicky now. That's how it feels to me anyway.

• Love 7

And free me from Paula, even though I did crack up when Louis was telling her about the 600-year-old buildings in Amsterdam and she said, "oh, so Amsterdam is even older than Savannah?"

Conversely, I did not find that the least bit humorous. It just reinforced the stereotype of Stupid Americans who don't know anything about anything that's not "Made In Amerika." Heads where the sun don't shine. That might be something Paula would say, in fact.

Interestingly, nothing about Mark bothers me this season, including his hair knot. I either don't care or I'm more accepting of everyone's right to be different.

Although Bindi looking almost exactly like Shawn Johnson is somewhat unsettling. Another Topo Gigo?

• Love 2

enthus-pro: I'm assuming you meant there was a sense of romance between Mark & Alexa's "characters" in the dance, as opposed to the real people? Alexa appears to be *very* married to her husband--& fellow competitor this season--Carlos.

It was a developing sense of romance between the “characters” of the dance; not too hard, aggressive and raunchy, but “classic,” slow and sensual, finely depicting a vertical expression of a horizontal desire out on a ballroom floor.

I didn't know that Tony was from Kosovo and after hearing that I wanted to hear more, but they jumped ahead so quickly to his time as a ballroom dancer that I don't feel like we got the full sense of what his life was like growing up there.

I believe he had the unfortunate experience of witnessing his friend getting shot in Kosovo during the war when he was a kid (please verify).  Tony came to America not speaking a word of English, and had to support his family working as a teenager in a restaurant.  It was then that he ran across a dance lesson flyer tossed in the wastebasket inside the establishment, and the rest is history. 

While I still think Tony should continue to remain as a professional dancer (and not as a judge), I do admire his tenacity and dedication thus far.  Wishing him the best this season and beyond for many years to come.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who thought that Karina looked supremely uncomfortable with Victor during their post-dance interview with Erin? While they were talking, Victor tightened his grasp of Karina in a side hug in kind of a grab. Karina would gasp/grunt, give him the side eye and then make a face at the camera. It happened twice.

I think he was trying to say he feels more comfortable when he's in control, as when he's racing a horse, which is why he felt more comfortable with this type of dance. But it didn't come out very well and sounded kind of creepy like he enjoyed controlling Katrina. And I think that's what her expression was all about. More WTF than Ew, get away.

I was sorry to see him go because he definitely had potential to improve. Gary, Paula and Kim do not, IMO.

And I don't know how Gary has made it through three rounds already but he's such a train wreck, you gotta figure the producers and/or network regard him as ratings gold so I don't see him going anywhere soon enough to suit me.

What's with half the Erin interviews taking place in the sky box and half taking place back stage in the red room? Does she have to keep running up and down the stairs between every number depending on where they producers decide they want her to be?

Conversely, I did not find that the least bit humorous. It just reinforced the stereotype of Stupid Americans who don't know anything about anything that's not "Made In Amerika." Heads where the sun don't shine. That might be something Paula would say, in fact.

Interestingly, nothing about Mark bothers me this season, including his hair knot. I either don't care or I'm more accepting of everyone's right to be different.

Although Bindi looking almost exactly like Shawn Johnson is somewhat unsettling. Another Topo Gigo?

Yes!  I had the same reaction. 

• Love 1

I felt really bad for Erin - I think it was Monday night's show - when Gary said something really random and kind of offensive or weird, and Erin was so thrown, she just kind of looked at him and looked at the camera and laughed a little and said, "I don't even know what I'm supposed to do/say..." It was funny and also cringe-worthy. I just felt so bad for her because I think he said something kind of snarky and if it had been any other contestant she would have been in her element, happy to snark back and give them a jokingly-hard time about whatever they had just said, but because it was Gary and you don't know where some of his "crazy" is coming from, I don't think she felt comfortable snarking back to him so she just felt lost.

It's a real challenge for all of them to deal with him, I think. He's got this brain injury and because of it he says some of the most random, sometimes even scary intense things and no one knows what to do or say so it's this gigantic elephant in the room.

• Love 2

I felt really bad for Erin - I think it was Monday night's show - when Gary said something really random and kind of offensive or weird, and Erin was so thrown, she just kind of looked at him and looked at the camera and laughed a little and said, "I don't even know what I'm supposed to do/say..." It was funny and also cringe-worthy. I just felt so bad for her because I think he said something kind of snarky and if it had been any other contestant she would have been in her element, happy to snark back and give them a jokingly-hard time about whatever they had just said, but because it was Gary and you don't know where some of his "crazy" is coming from, I don't think she felt comfortable snarking back to him so she just felt lost

Sinkwriter, I believe you are referencing Tuesday's show, when Gary got all 5's, Erin asked him what he thought and he commented 'if that's as far as they (the judges) can count, then God bless em!'  So he pretty much dissed the judges....she was stunned, and after a few seconds of complete silence, she said 'what am I supposed to do?'

• Love 1

I miss Len - I fear that without him, all the dances going forward are going to lose many of the techniques that their styles demand. In past seasons, Len often chastised Derek for not choreographing "proper" dances and the fact that no judge dinged Derek last night for the non-waltz elements he included makes me sad. Same for the Charleston/lindy hop...

I agree with this very much. Last night made me miss Len because I could not believe none of the 3 judges pointed out there was NOT A SINGLE moment of dancing in hold in Bindi & Derek's "waltz." (How do you have a ballroom dance without any ballroom hold?) Instead of docking for a lift, Carrie Ann and the other 2 should have deducted (or at least commented) for not doing the dance assigned.

Tamar and Val's was less egregious since there were some Charleston feet swivels, but yeah, it looked much more like a Lindy Hop.

• Love 6

Sinkwriter, I believe you are referencing Tuesday's show, when Gary got all 5's, Erin asked him what he thought and he commented 'if that's as far as they (the judges) can count, then God bless em!'  So he pretty much dissed the judges....she was stunned, and after a few seconds of complete silence, she said 'what am I supposed to do?'

That was exactly it, sandyskyblue, yes. And I think she just can't tell if he's joking or not, and sometimes when she thinks he is, he gets all intense and scary in response, which is scary, and she doesn't know what to do. I just feel bad for her. And Anna, for trying to teach him. It's got to be challenging.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

I am surprised that I actually liked Kim last night, she seemed so appreciative of the opportunity and seems to try hard.  I especially liked that she told Tony that he is always so patient.  Because he is.  I think the show would lose a lot if he were to quit.  I don't think he has any hopes of advancing far this year.

Anna did look like she expected to be eliminated.  When it was announced as Victor and Karina, I think she said "wow".

What was up with the two guys in the balcony who were unbuttoning each other's shirts?  One was a pro and one was a star.  Was it Val and Andy?  Whoever the star was sure looked like he was enjoying it, and then the pro just ripped open the star's shirt and the star acted all shocked.  I'm not sure if this was scripted or not, but it was just a little odd to me.

I get assigned task at work that I do not want to do for people I do not feel like dealing with ever. Then I remember it all pays the same and repeat my mantra "a check is a check" So if I have to sweep the floor or conduct an 7 hour training session on new software - it all pays the same.

I can imagine that is the attitude of 70% of the professionals when they find out who their partner will be for the season "one two step a check is a check, one two step a check is a check"

• Love 3

I agree with this very much. Last night made me miss Len because I could not believe none of the 3 judges pointed out there was NOT A SINGLE moment of dancing in hold in Bindi & Derek's "waltz."

I agree! Or, at least there was no good ol' "waltz-y dancing!" Those two are such great dancers--I was really looking forward to them beautifully waltzing around the room. Sigh.

I especially liked that she told Tony that he is always so patient.  Because he is.  I think the show would lose a lot if he were to quit.  

I'm sure that's why Tony gets "stuck" with all the "hard-to-place" celebs he has had season after season. And also why he has no qualms about standing up for them when he feels they've given him their all!

I believe that was during Alek and Lindsay's interview.

Well, he did it during theirs, but also during several other dancers' talks with Erin he was making a face or seemed like he was mugging the camera or doing something goofy. It was distracting to me.

I did not see Alek and Linday's dance or interview, but I did see Hayes' face behind and between Erin and someone she was interviewing. I don't know who it was because I could only see Hayes making bug eyes and faces he considered funny, no doubt. My only thought: What a smartie pants he is, coming from nothing to ... what, a reality "star"? ... via this show that he's mocking? To quote Bugs Bunny: "What a maroon."

• Love 2

I really, really liked the Pros' stories. I'm torn between being glad they did this episode early to include most pros and wishing they'd done it later with longer stories for fewer pros. The pros, for the most part, had far more compelling stories than the stars, too. I hope they come up with other get to know you things for the pros.

I think Anna has earned whatever job she wants on this show going forward. There were times that Gary's behavior made me involuntarily recoil thousands of miles away. They actually showed a clip of the judges' wariness and uncertainty when he went to shake their hands. I can't believe they put Anna in this position.

This episode did reaffirm my love for the pros. I still don't understand how the Houghs let two young kids move to another country (and if I'm remembering an interview with Shirley right, the Ballases became legal guardians, had all say, and took them out of a difficult home environment whatever that means), but they seem to have turned out OK.

I thought Anna's story was beautifully bittersweet in that it was a hard life but it was all they knew. I think that's a sentiment many can relate to.

Mark's was surprisingly bittersweet, too. For what an unusual upbringing he had to have had, he's turned out OK, too.

I love how much Val loves his adopted city/country. I know Eastern Europe and all, but Val's early pictures always surprise me. They always make him look like he should be of my parents' generation instead of a few years younger than me. It says a lot about why his parents (and so many others) sought opportunities elsewhere.

I've come to terms with being OK with a Backstreet Boy win if that means Sharna wins. I still don't think they have it tied up, yet.

I missed Emma's story, but it was cute how out of place Witney's and Lindsey's seemed compared to the rest. War-torn Kosovo refugee. Dutch dancer came to conquer Broadway. Ukrainian immigrants come from nothing. Dancing saves a difficult Russian childhood. Bi-continental childhood mixed with bullying. Child of traveling dance champions. Homesick Australian with ill family. Upper middle class Utahans. It was cute how relatively normal and comparatively boring they were.

And, I'm really glad Val got it out there about them being family. I hope people heard that.

Edited by kayma
  • Love 8

I still don't understand how the Houghs let two young kids move to another country (and if I'm remembering an interview with Shirley right, the Ballases became legal guardians, had all say, and took them out of a difficult home environment whatever that means), but they seem to have turned out OK.

I feel like I remember hearing that their parents were going through a somewhat messy divorce at the time, and when they had the opportunity to send them for training, jumped on it to also be able to get them out of the house until things calmed down. (Which obviously turned into more time than planned.) That might be what Shirley means by "difficult home environment." Derek spoke in an interview after the episode about the bullying being pretty intense as well, something about being jumped and tied up with ropes, and I'm wondering what the timing of that was, and if that may have played into the decision as well.

ETA: from an interview last year, not just tied up with rope, but hung from a tree, spit on, with a gun put to his head. Damn. Hell, I might ship my child to another country if that's what they were facing on their way home from school. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 2

What's with half the Erin interviews taking place in the sky box and half taking place back stage in the red room? Does she have to keep running up and down the stairs between every number depending on where they producers decide they want her to be?

It appears to me that the aged contestants are afforded this break.  They include a few others so as not to be blatantly obvious about this, imo.Yes, Tom and Erin are constantly being moved all over the ballroom for various stand-ups.

• Love 1

Isn't the skybox just in front of the backstage red room area? When I've watched All Access during the show that is what it looks like. I think the camera angles just make it look like two distinct areas but they are really one large space filmed from different spots.

Yes, the skybox is just in front of the Red Room although there are two ways the dancers can enter and there is a partition there which, depending on the camera angle, can make it look like they've entered a different space altogether.

I've heard various versions/perspectives of the story about the Houghs sending their children away at such an early age. It has always perplexed me because no matter what the reason, as a mother I don't think I could have ever done it. But not knowing all the details and not being in the situation, one never knows what one might do under certain circumstances.

Derek wrote in his book that it was only supposed to be for a summer but that he was so happy there he begged his parents to let him go back. Shirley said the Houghs were extremely resistant but only agreed when she had the idea of Julianne accompanying Derek and becoming Mark's dancing partner. I do think the bullying Derek went through might have been part of the reason he desperately wanted to stay. His family moved four times in the span of a very few months to put him in different schools due to the severity of the bullying. With the Ballases, he also suddenly had a brother and discovered his true passion.

I think both families have managed to present a very happy image which I don't doubt is true, but from all the reading I've done as well as understanding the nature of humankind, there is no doubt a lot more to the story we might never know. I'm amazed by the kinds of adults they've become in spite of the shortcomings often noted in this forum. Some of their behaviors that irritate people might be a result of the difficult aspects of their younger years. No child can be separated from family without negative consequences. I greatly admire both the Houghs' and the Ballises' strong work ethic and it obviously was a value instilled in all three children.

Learning more about what the Pros have been through in their relatively short lives reminds me of how important it is to remember that every person has a story whether I know what it is or not and it makes me want to criticize less and appreciate more. Don't remind me of it the next time I'm griping about them though. :)))

• Love 8

I guess I'm not that shocked about the Houghs moving to live with the Ballas' because that type of thing is common in India (where I was born). People send their kids away if they think they would have a better life somewhere else. I know it happens in other cultures as well. It's not something I would do, but my relatives have done it and it's more common than what people might think.

• Love 1

Sending your kids away was extremely common in European and British cultures until historically quite recently.  Kids needed to learn skills that their parents didn't necessarily have and how to get along with others (which a teenager living at home doesn't always learn).  Both parents and kids expected it to happen; it was part of growing up.  And when it worked, it was a very good system.

• Love 1

I always think considering their upbringing, Derek, Julianne and Mark turned out remarkably well. It can't have been an easy situation for any of the three. And yeah, many of the behaviours and spleens people might find irritating about them IMO are kinda explained by their unusual youth.

• Love 2

I didn't intend to convey that I am unaccepting of Mark's right to be different. I just don't happen to like his hair.

Sorry to see Victor go and even more sorry to see Karina go. Maybe Kim will go next.

Edited by ari333

I didn't intend to convey that I am unaccepting of Mark's right to be different. I just don't happen to like his hair.

Nightline last night did a segment on B boys. One they focused on owns a dojo, and he had the same hair knot as Mark. Maybe Mark is getting into martial arts? My comment about not caring about his hair was just me remarking on how Mark doesn't bother me at all this year, which pretty much amazes me. Used to be, everything about him bugged me. Maybe I'm getting sick ...

Sorry to see Victor go and even more sorry to see Karina go.

Same here. I like Karina and was glad to see her and my favorite female pro ever, Anna, back. I'm guessing Anna will be leaving soon, too.

• Love 1

We were watching PBS , I was tired of watching it this time.  But we were flipping around the dial after 10 o'clock and DWTS was still on- we saw the Charleston and it was really good. I don't get the 8's. I don't care if it's week 2, you got a lady who can handle the choreo very well.  I have no problem with the banter, the shirt off for Val is votes in his mind because his followers want him shirtless 24/7 - but it wasn't necessary.  I think Val is thinking insurance in case Tamar rubs peeps the wrong way.  But regardless it was great energy.  This girls has great legs, I can't wait to see the fire in the Argentine Tango or the Paso,  she's great.  No, she doesn't fart rainbows like some of the other vomit inducing contestants, but she's just far more entertaining for me. 

• Love 1

I thought Allison's contemporary was really terrible. She is a great contemporary dancer but it is confusing to me why people assume that that translates to contemporary choreographer as well. She was able to choreograph a good contemporary (and good, nothing more) for Riker because he was actually a natural dancer and obviously picked it up well. Not the same for Andy, and that dance was plain awful, in terms of dancing AND choreography.

• Love 1

I thought Allison's contemporary was really terrible. She is a great contemporary dancer but it is confusing to me why people assume that that translates to contemporary choreographer as well. She was able to choreograph a good contemporary (and good, nothing more) for Riker because he was actually a natural dancer and obviously picked it up well. Not the same for Andy, and that dance was plain awful, in terms of dancing AND choreography.

I've absolutely no idea what to look for in contemporary and judge it basically on "Did I like it?" (far as I can see, the judges do the same...), but it looked pretty bad for me as well. I thought the scoring for that dance was very generous and made me scratch my head (like a lot of the scoring on the second night seemed off IMO). As far as I'm concerned Andy has been utterly forgettable for two weeks in a row now, to the point where I forget he even participates in the show. That needs to change or he'll get in trouble. Considering he has Allison and IMO she's sticking to her precedent of teaching her celebs the moves but not really any technique beyond that and then outdancing them...yeah.

• Love 2

Ok but to say something positive, I thought that Derek and Bindi, Mark and Alexa (these two were my favorite of the night by far), and Tamar and Val had really great dances that made me remember why I really enjoy this show sometimes.

• Love 4

I thought it was terrible too.  And Bruno was right about that lift.  Andy looked unsteady as if he was going to keep going backward and fall on his butt.

She has choreographed nice contemporaries but they have been for good dancers like Riker and the SYTYCD contestants.  She has also helped Derek choreograph fusion routines on DWTS.  It's too bad for Andy because I do think he could be better with another pro.

• Love 1

WTF is wrong with Erin? She seems like she's in a daze.

She's ever NOT been while co-hosting on this show?

other than finding out a bit more about people's childhoods (which was nice), the "theme" of Hometown Glory seemed like a bust.  Most of the song choices really had nothing to do with the hometown but were about childhood memories that could have happened anywhere.

{Producer going over this theme and thinking about it...}

"Hmm. Utah. Russia. Utah. Utah. Russia. Utah. Utah. Amsterdam. England Utah. Utah..."

"We got a problem here..."

• Love 1
........Tony gets so defensive at any little criticism sometimes and I really think it's because he feels like these people are not qualified to judge him, "internationally ranked champion ballroom dancer." And it's like if that's the case then just quit dude. It's either that or get over yourself. 

Actually, Tony didn't compete in Int. Latin. He competed in and is a champion in American Rhythm which is not at the high level of International Latin DanceSport. Tony's credentials as an American Rhythm champion can not come close or compare to the level of Karina who is an Int. Latin champion.

......As usual, there is always such a rushed feeling about the show now. The dances seem shorter than ever though I haven't timed them. In early years we got to know both Pros and celebs better with longer rehearsal packages, behind the scenes excerpts on Results show nights and Confessionals. Everything is more clipped, shallow and gimmicky now. That's how it feels to me anyway.

This ^

Edited by luvthepros