Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I walked in from book shopping to 47-7.  Is that praise to Tampa, or an indictment on Detroit?

Both, I think. I think it's more on Detroit. It makes me feel a little better about the Vikings loss. At least the offense did something and put points on the board. The defense was like Swiss cheese, full of holes. Plus there were so many people out on the defense I was wondering if we would have 11 people to put on the field or if we would have to borrow a couple from New Orleans or grab a couple of guys from the sidewalk outside.

Browns linebacker B. J. Goodson out with positive COVID test.  In addition, all 4 of the Browns' top receivers; Landry, Higgins, Peoples-Jones and Hodge are on the COVID-19 reserve list as close contacts.

Merry Christmas, Cleveland!

3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I swear to God I think Brady has had plastic surgery on his face.  He looks nothing like he did last year.  Did he leave all his wrinkles for Bellicheck?

He's definitely doing something.  Mrs. Brady is well known for her penchant for cosmetic work.  Perhaps they get a family rate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Regardless of the gift from Vegas to the Dolphins, I sorta feel bad for Miami.  They are still playing some awesome football, and have been as of late.  While not at the level of 2007-2008, they have turned things around, and there is potential with that group compared to the one back then.  I think they'll just miss out despite reaching double digits with one week to go.  Just my opinion; I don't see a South Beach football team winning a January football game played at Orchard Park

Detroit v. Tampa -- Dang.  That's what happens when your stand in HC was the WR coach last week.   And your QB goes out injured in the first quarter.   Not that they had a chance in hell, but they might have made a game of it.   Kicker of it is, if they had JUST MOVED the game to Sunday, everyone would have been out of the Covid Protocols and available.   But noooooo the NFL wanted their 3 game special on Saturday.  

49ers v. Cardinals.  Damn.   49ers might be out of the playoffs but they ain't going quietly.   George Kittle for MVP.    When he is out there they are just a different team.    Also Cardinals are flaaaaaat.    If you can't get a decent game out of Larry Fitzgerald something is wrong with your game plan.

Raiders v. Dolphins.   DAMN.   Helluva game.   That Dolphins team is all behind this.   Tua was even cheering Fitzpatrick because he knows a win is a good for everyone.  Flores > Gruden.   Hubby got home from work in time to see the end.   Who he is all "Who is Fitzpatrick never heard of him" (yes I have failed my hubby).   I said "He's been around a lot of teams.   He's .... dependable."   When the Fitzmagic is happening it is beautiful.  

• Love 1

Sucks for Koo to miss the FG when this is his first miss inside of 40 this season. I’m sure the Chiefs would have still won the game but still.

Fuck the Steelers.

Second win for the Jets despite almost losing to a team that had third string WRs. Good for them.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Wasn’t the Cleveland situation of losing all their wide receivers to COVID on Friday the perfect reason to postpone a game?  Ridiculous that other teams got their games postponed for far less.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, twoods said:

Sucks for Koo to miss the FG when this is his first miss inside of 40 this season. I’m sure the Chiefs would have still won the game but till.

Oh, that's what happened on my fantasy team. Kansas City is D/ST and I had 11 points from them in the first half but when the game was over they had 6 points. I was wondering how D/ST could go backwards but I suppose a missed kick might decrease the points.

Poor Cleveland. There are 4 teams in the AFC with 10-5 records and three wild card slots between them. These are all second or third place teams in their divisions. Cleveland plays Pittsburgh next week and with a possible 10-6 record, they might not be in the playoffs. But a 10-6 record in the NFC would get them in. I think the AFC playoffs are going to be way more interesting than NFC.

Wow, so Brandon Zylstra just recovered a muffed punt for a Carolina touchdown. Good for him! I've liked him since he was a Viking and have a picture with him. 

And I just heard that is his first NFL touchdown!

Edited by Lamb18

Yeah I saw those typical “Steelers” calls which sucked. I hope they choke in the playoffs.

When can they NFL postpone the Browns game? It’s a 10 day quarantine (unless the nfl has a different protocol) and next weekend is the last week. Plus it wasn’t the entire team like the Ravens and just the WRs.

• Love 3

What really pissed me off is this is two major games the nfl refs just tried to screw over the colts.  The end of the packers game same thing holding after holding.......though they still won.   It was ridiculous.  

Can call me a homer all you want and a whiner if you want but the nfl refs have major problems and determine way too many games. 

• Love 1

Denver didn't get postponed after having no quarterbacks so Cleveland was SOL.  I didn’t watch the game but did the lack of receivers contribute to the Jets touchdowns?

If Philly has four wins and Dallas has five, why exactly am I, a Giants fan, supposed to be rooting for Dallas today?  Also there is no universe in which I, a Giants fan, will root for the goddamn Dallas Cowboys.

• Love 6

I'm trying to figure out what has to happen so Cleveland can make the playoffs. 

First, Browns have to beat the Steelers. If they get the WRs back they can do it. Maybe even without the WRs.

Second, Baltimore has to lose. They play Bengals but it's doable.

Third, Bills have to beat Miami. Good chance of this happening! Go Diggs!

Fourth, Colts need to lose to Jaguars but I doubt that will happen.

Fifth, Houston beating Tennessee would help the cause especially if Cleveland beats Pittsburgh. It could happen although not likely.

When there's  W/L ties I don't know how to calc who has the higher placement.

Also, Green Bay beating Tennessee tonight would help, too!

Edited by Lamb18
44 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What really pissed me off is this is two major games the nfl refs just tried to screw over the colts. 

With the caveat that this was a long time ago. Back in the eighties, my neighbor was an NFL official who had worked multiple Super Bowls. 

They work to get the call right. They are professionals. Do they miss calls? Certainly. Do they make mistakes? Without a doubt. Is there a home field bias? Perhaps.

But I honestly do not believe the conspiracies about officiating.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 8

I can't believe I turned the channel on the Raiders/Miami game at the very end.  I thought it was over but those last few minutes were so crazy I should have known better.

53 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Wasn’t the Cleveland situation of losing all their wide receivers to COVID on Friday the perfect reason to postpone a game?  Ridiculous that other teams got their games postponed for far less.

It hasn't been about who gets placed on the list; it's about when the last positive was.  I don't know enough about Cleveland's situation to know whether or not it was cutting corners where the NFL hadn't in the past. I think having Christmas on Friday may have changed some timelines.

4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

But I honestly do not believe the conspiracy conspiracies about officiating.

Every team that has been screwed by bad officiating has also benefited from it. But it still sucks when it happens.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Packers/Titans should be a good game.

It’s a snow game!  *hearteyes*

Ok so I finally figured out the math why a Philly win would bounce the Giants from playoff contention, but I. Do. Not. Care.

Fuck Dallas.  Anything that brings Jerry Jones joy is automatically bad.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Jerry Jones looks kind of like the Grinch. I picture him with those long fingers and fingernails holding something between his forefinger and thumb.

Would that make the head coach the dog Max? with the antler strapped onto his head?

37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It’s a snow game!  *hearteyes*

Ok so I finally figured out the math why a Philly win would bounce the Giants for playoff contention, but I. Do. Not. Care.

Fuck Dallas.  Anything that brings Jerry Jones joy is automatically bad.

I wish I could watch it (I can listen to it). It might be snowing there - it's been snowing here all day, just a light windless snowfall. (I am straight west of GB about 3 - 4 hours' drive). Should be pretty in the lights.

• LOL 3

As a lifelong Packers fan I cannot see snow at Lambeau without thinking of the 1985 Snow Bowl:  Packers 21, Tampa Bay 0.  About 12 inches of snow fell before the game, with another 5 inches during the game.  Two-thirds of the crowd couldn't make it to the stadium, but 20,000 diehards were there.  The Packers turned the ball over 4 times, but still gained over 500 yards.  Lynn Dickey threw for something like 300 yards and Steve Young for about 50 yards.  Young could not see his receivers, since the Bucs were wearing white jerseys, white pants, and white helmets, plus the Packers sacked him 4 or 5 times.  One memorable time his entire face mask was filled with snow.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

A night game in the snow! I don't even care that it's the Packers and Titans. Snow!

The thing is Green Bay and Tennessee are very good teams.  I guess they picked up from last year.  The Titans don't particularly look great tonight, but this is football weather.  I've seen a ton of bad weather in general; you just don't get these games (in primetime no less) as frequently as we have in the past.  And that was when the season started/ended a week in advance!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Radio guys said it's windy in GB, I forgot about the lake effect. Maybe you will see snow cyclones - I saw those last week when it was snowing and super windy.

Green Bay isn’t on the Lake.  It’s a Bay.  

38 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

When they put it in the name, it's what we call a clue 🤣

Some strange play calling by the Titans - they ran a lot of clock while down by multiple scores, were late to go to no huddle/hurry up.  For example, at the end of the 3rd quarter, down by 19 points, they got a first down with about 20 seconds left and let time run down to the end of the quarter.  As a Packer fan, I was fine with that but if I was a Titans' fan I would have been pulling my hair out.  

• LOL 3
59 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Yes, and Green Bay, like all communities on the shores of the Great Lakes and their smaller bays, harbors, and coves, experiences lake-effect snow.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Calvada said:

When they put it in the name, it's what we call a clue 🤣

🤣.  I grew up on THE lake.  There is a difference.  😉.  MN people like to think they know it all (and there is THE Lake and then the rest of the other little ones) 🤣💚💛

19 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Yes, and Green Bay, like all communities on the shores of the Great Lakes and their smaller bays, harbors, and coves, experiences lake-effect snow.

Kinda.  Is Tampa Bay the Gulf or the Atlantic Ocean?  Nope

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I can't believe I turned the channel on the Raiders/Miami game at the very end.  I thought it was over but those last few minutes were so crazy I should have known better.

It hasn't been about who gets placed on the list; it's about when the last positive was.  I don't know enough about Cleveland's situation to know whether or not it was cutting corners where the NFL hadn't in the past. I think having Christmas on Friday may have changed some timelines.

Every team that has been screwed by bad officiating has also benefited from it. But it still sucks when it happens.

I always find your posts thoughtful and logical.  Thank you

So, after spending last night cursing the Raiders and Gruden, I am greatly relieved tonight.  I thought the Ravens easiest path to the playoffs would be a Dolphins loss.  I didn't really think the Raiders could beat them, but they should have.  Ya know, if the goal line is three inches away, you should probably, um, GO OVER IT!  I get stopping short the first two downs to kill the clock, but you DON'T take a knee on the third!  You're losing!  What if your kicker misses the field goal?  And even if he makes it, then the other team only needs to kick a field goal to beat you.  And their kicker is better.  So frustrating.  

So, today, I had to reluctantly cheer for the Steelers and/or hope the Jets were on a two-game winning spree.  Whoda thunk it?  Both happened.  Ravens have to beat a suddenly surging Bengals team next week and they are in the playoffs!  Go, Ravens!  Getting in the groove at the right time for Lamar to get his post-season win.  Or four.

Lamb18, defenses are always losing points as they give up yardage and game points.  I think they start with something like 10 points and go up or down from there.  They gain points causing turnovers, sacks, etc.

Edited by Johann
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

🤣.  I grew up on THE lake.  There is a difference.  😉.  MN people like to think they know it all (and there is THE Lake and then the rest of the other little ones) 🤣💚💛

Kinda.  Is Tampa Bay the Gulf or the Atlantic Ocean?  Nope

Green Bay is at the base of a bay and there is the peninsula (the thumb of Wisconsin) between Green Bay and Lake Michigan.  

I wonder if this year there will be a team saying "if only _____ hadn't come down with COVID during the playoffs."   Like fans that remember a bad or missed call by the officials, or a bonehead play by one player, will this season be remembered for a star player being unable to play because of a positive test, or a close contact with someone who tested positive?  

11 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Green Bay is at the base of a bay and there is the peninsula (the thumb of Wisconsin) between Green Bay and Lake Michigan.  

I wonder if this year there will be a team saying "if only _____ hadn't come down with COVID during the playoffs."   Like fans that remember a bad or missed call by the officials, or a bonehead play by one player, will this season be remembered for a star player being unable to play because of a positive test, or a close contact with someone who tested positive?  

Door County summer trips 4 Eva!   Also the Dunes and Washington Island.  🥰

I’m sure there will be a * on the Super Bowl, even tho  can anyone specifically blame Covid on the outcome of this season?  Patrick Mahomes is on 🔥.  Aaron Rodgers is on 🔥.  Sorry not sorry.  

54 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Also the Dunes and Washington Island.  

Ahh, the Dunes aren't what they once were.

And while I do love a discussion on geography, much of WI got decent snow today, even the non-LAKE-adjacent parts. 

Normally, I don't watch Packers games because I get irrationally nervous and I think my blood pressure goes up.  But a snow game?  I recorded it.  A blowout might have been boring for most people but I'm going to love watching it. 

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I always find your posts thoughtful and logical.  Thank you

customer service do not want GIF

This is an NFL thread--the only place being considered thoughtful and logical might just be an insult.  😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Well it was fun watching everyone run around in the snow.    

I don't think we have to worry about a team missing a key player during the playoffs.    I am willing to bet that if there is not an official playoff bubble, teams will do an unofficial one.  Getting to the Super Bowl is the Holy Grail for teams.   they are not going to risk it because someone went to a STRIP CLUB maskless.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I absolutely love coming in to week 17 and Washington and Dallas have six wins, the Giants have five, Philly has four and ONLY Philly is eliminated from playoff contention.

It would of been even better if it was the Cowboys that was eliminated instead of the Eagles. The Giants better finish them off on Sunday so that I can rest easy during the WFT - Eagles game on Sunday Night. Its bad enough that the 1pm games are nap-inducing (You can thank the sorry Rams for that). It makes it even worse that the Cowboys are still alive in that wretched division.

13 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Jerry Jones looks kind of like the Grinch. I picture him with those long fingers and fingernails holding something between his forefinger and thumb.

Would that make the head coach the dog Max? with the antler strapped onto his head?

At least the Grinch is cute, lovable, & classy. Jerry Jones has none of those qualities. The dog is probably either his loser son Stephen Jones or Skip Bayless.

16 hours ago, Lamb18 said:
16 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

First, Browns have to beat the Steelers. If they get the WRs back they can do it. Maybe even without the WRs.

Fifth, Houston beating Tennessee would help the cause especially if Cleveland beats Pittsburgh. It could happen although not likely.

Translation. Its not happening. Frankly, I can't even remember the last time the Browns won a game in Pittsburgh in a big situation. It very rarely happens. BTW, the Browns should still be ashamed of themselves falling flat on their faces to the Jets yesterday. 

Washington vs. Philadelphia (speaking of the Eagles), the 256th and final game (Sunday Night Football) appears to be the best decision IMO.  I guess the league was adamant on having an SNF game for the sake of having an SNF game

4 hours ago, Magog said:
21 hours ago, Lamb18 said:
21 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Read more  
Read more  

Translation. Its not happening. Frankly, I can't even remember the last time the Browns won a game in Pittsburgh in a big situation. It very rarely happens. BTW, the Browns should still be ashamed of themselves falling flat on their faces to the Jets yesterday. 

The game's in Cleveland.  The Browns will be okay.  I don't know if it'll translate to winning, but they should have their starters back by then.  FWIW, Cleveland hasn't won in Week 17 in over a decade, most of those defeats coming at the hands of the Steelers.

The good news is that Pittsburgh will have nothing to play for.  That should be made official if/when Buffalo beats the crap out of New England on MNF.

Finally, all the Browns have to do is win and they're in.  Nothing Baltimore, Indianapolis and/or Miami can do will change that if Cleveland survives against Pittsburgh on Sunday

Edited by Carey
Just a minor update to info already addressed
50 minutes ago, Magog said:

BTW, the Browns should still be ashamed of themselves falling flat on their faces to the Jets yesterday. 

Stefanski probably spent a few hours looking in the mirror, wondering what he did wrong, then got over it.

How does Cleveland rank as far as all that tiebreaker stuff goes? Now there are five teams in the AFC who are 10 - 5.