Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The national anthem is played before sporting events in most countries.   Its just something that happens.   It's such a tradition that when I hear it played at non-sports events, as soon as it is done, I whisper "Play ball."

I find myself doing that too!

If you don't like the anthem before games, don't go to a NASCAR race - you get a prayer and the anthem before the race.  In all the years I've watched NASCAR, I don't recall it ever being a non-Christian prayer either.

I listened to the Giants radio feed on Sirius driving home from NY this afternoon.  At the start of the game, they said it was Eli's 194th consecutive regular season start, and since he started that streak, the Browns had used 22 different QBs.

• Love 2

I continue to be very impressed with Derek Carr. He got that painful looking injury to his pinky finger today but he came right back out and led the Raiders to a win against the Panthers. I think that was a good, competitive game between both teams today. The Raiders are an exciting team to watch. And I agree with the people that are saying that Derek should be in the discussion for MVP. 

I was also impressed with Mike Evans and how he dealt with Seattle's defense today. I enjoyed watching him work against Richard Sherman and that defense. That was a good win for the Bucs (even though it cost everyone in the football pool a point, lol.) The Bucs are now one game behind Atlanta in their division and have won three straight games. It will be interesting to see how things work out for them as the end of the season becomes closer.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

The Raiders stay in shotgun for Victory formation, WTF?!? 

I feel bad for Oakland, losing their team right when they're on the verge.

I was thinking the same thing about that victory formation.  That's just asking for a bad snap to be recovered by the D and run for a touchdown.

47 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Jets.  WTF.  You had them on the ropes!  Damn fumble.

I'm focusing on the really nice punch-out by Butler that made that happen (and I'm in deep, deep denial that anything lasting is wrong with Brady or Gronk).

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I'm focusing on the really nice punch-out by Butler that made that happen (and I'm in deep, deep denial that anything lasting is wrong with Brady or Gronk).

The Pats need to sit Gronk until they play the Broncos the weekend before Christmas. He's just too fragile, and inevitably when they try to bring him back right when cleared, he breaks something else.

If the Pats go up big early next week, I want a healthy dose of Jimmy G. Let's pound the Rams into oblivion in the first half and sit Brady in the second.

31 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Oh, and one other stat I saw today: apparently Ben Roethlisberger has more wins against the Browns than any Browns QB has had wins since Big Ben came into the league.

That's just sad.

• Love 3

Holy.....?? I can't believe it!

This was a really good, exciting game for Sunday Night.  I was a little surprised Kubiac went for it but I didn't think it was so bad of a call.  Lots of nail biting moments right down to the final field goal hitting the upright but still going in. WOW!

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

I think that Gary should have punted and took the tie. If he had done that they would have been tied with the Chiefs for second place in the division. Now they are in 3rd place. This decision might come back and hurt them as the rest of the season plays out.

This game started out with ugly offense in the first half but it ended up being competitive with an interesting ending. Even though they lost I thought that the Broncos D and Trevor ended up doing a really good job. Tyreek Hill also looked good for the Chiefs and is emerging as a nice weapon for them.

Edited by Jx223

I have recovered enough to say, I remember the last time a win at Mile High (there have been few enough) made me yell this loud...Montana & Elway!  That was a thriller.

"Off the goal post, through the exit tunnel, off the glass!"

Edited by voiceover
Remember that ad??
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, xaxat said:

It's painful, but it's a good thing the Browns are setting up themselves to draft a franchise quarterback.

Oh, wait.

Should we start taking bets on which college QB's career the Browns will ruin? I'll put a hundred on Lamar Jackson.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

I find it interesting that Charles Woodson is allowed to rep his former employers in his new role on ESPN.

Now I am of the mind that Charles can do what Charles wants, but it surprises me that ESPN doesn't care.

Mojoween, you clearly don't watch Michael Irvin on the NFL Network.   If there is anything related to the Cowboys, they go right to him for comment.   As Deon Sanders said once "he's probably wearing Cowboys shorts right now."   

As for the Browns, I loved the Falcons trolling them.   It just shows how badly they suck at evaluating talent.   They keep bad people (with certain exceptions) and let the good ones go.   They can't draft.   They can't develop the ones they do draft.   No decent FA wants to go there, even for lots of money.   It is the Factory of Sadness.   When a visiting QB has more wins in your stadium than any of your QBs, you have a serious problem. 

3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Should we start taking bets on which college QB's career the Browns will ruin? I'll put a hundred on Lamar Jackson.

You've already got them looking towards 2018? (Jackson's not draft eligible.)

NFL is seriously considering whether to continue, or at least cut back, Thursday night football. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/27/league-will-take-a-close-look-at-thursday-night-football/

Would be the smartest decision they have made in a long time

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Mojoween, you clearly don't watch Michael Irvin on the NFL Network.   If there is anything related to the Cowboys, they go right to him for comment.   As Deon Sanders said once "he's probably wearing Cowboys shorts right now."   

As for the Browns, I loved the Falcons trolling them.   It just shows how badly they suck at evaluating talent.   They keep bad people (with certain exceptions) and let the good ones go.   They can't draft.   They can't develop the ones they do draft.   No decent FA wants to go there, even for lots of money.   It is the Factory of Sadness.   When a visiting QB has more wins in your stadium than any of your QBs, you have a serious problem. 

When you are comparing your own team to the Browns, which is what comes to mind when making such statements, it does your team no good.  Everyone knows the Browns suck.  So what, your team is better at picking players than the worst team in the league?.....not really a high standard to shoot for or a strong comparison to make for your franchise.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

You've already got them looking towards 2018? (Jackson's not draft eligible.)

Oops, I thought he was a senior. Okay, so the Brown's will ruin some other poor guy's life in 2017 and Jackson will be sentenced to Cleveland in 2018. QB' s don't last long there.

4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I hope they don't draft another QB next year. (Or at the very least not use their high pick on one)I think they should stick with Cody Kessler/ Kevin Hogan (and maybe RGIII if he sticks around).

Kessler has been trying but he has been getting beat up behind that line. I think they need to use the high draft picks they are going to get to fix the other problems on that team before they draft another QB. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Thursday games have decreased in quality and when it comes down to it I'm not all that interested in Colts/Jags or the equivalent but I have to admit...if the games go away except for Thanksgiving I will miss them.

• Love 1

I'm skeptical about the league dropping Thursday Night games. Not only would they lose the revenue from broadcast rights, those games are the only leverage the league has when negotiating carriage fees for the NFL Network. 

I wouldn't miss the Thursday night games.  They are usually not great games, the teams are so banged up, and I know this is not possible, but it seems every other week it's Titans v. Jags.   The only good thing about weekly Thursday games is that every team has to go through that short week once.  Never thought it was fair that just a handful of teams had to deal with that.  And Lions and Cowboys always got the home game. 

I didn't realize those tent areas on the sideline were so unusual.  Don't college teams all have them now for players they are checking for concussion?  Otherwise you have all these people holding up towels trying to block the cameras, or a player has to go to the locker room.  But I thought it was pretty silly last night --- "What could Aaron Rodgers be doing in there???" 

My guess is if they change the Thursday games they will cut back on them, not eliminate them altogether, due to the before mentioned NFL network arrangement and financial concerns. 

I have mentioned it many times, would be very easy :  the team play the Thursday games after a bye week.  Gives them a chance to rest more prior to the games and more a chance to prepare for the games if they so choose.  You cannot do games all weeks this week because bye weeks are like 4-12, but you can cover most of the season by this system, plus week one with the opener and the Thanksgiving games already in place. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My guess is if they change the Thursday games they will cut back on them, not eliminate them altogether, due to the before mentioned NFL network arrangement and financial concerns. 

As Tony Kornheiser said, there is exactly Zero chance the NFL turns down a revenue stream. If the networks don't want the game, Netflix or another streaming service will back up a semi-trailer full of money and the games will continue.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:57 PM, AimingforYoko said:

As Tony Kornheiser said, there is exactly Zero chance the NFL turns down a revenue stream. If the networks don't want the game, Netflix or another streaming service will back up a semi-trailer full of money and the games will continue.

I wouldn't think so either, but they wouldn't be bringing it up if they were not at least considering it. 

And all games are eventually going to end up online.  Its where everything is headed.  They considered this for NFL Sunday ticket with the last contract negotiation, decided against it, but its going to happen at some point

Speaking of Netlfix, I can't believe the NFL and major league properties have not cashed in on this idea I have had for years:  Sportfilx.  You put all old games  online so fans can go back and watch any game they want, any time.  So as Netflix, but for sports.  Pay a monthly fee, you have access to all old games. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

If Gronk is really out for 8 weeks, the Pats are in trouble. ARGH.

Gronk is out for 8 weeks? Christ on a cracker, for such a big, strong guy he can't stay healthy for shit. I think they'll be okay though. They still have Bennett, Hogan, Lewis, Blount, Amendola and Edelman. The Pats went 3-1 without the Chosen One, so my optimism meter is still high!