Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

It's just not gonna be the same without Hochuli and his mouth and muscles.   Denver in December and he's out there in a short sleeved shirt.   His explanations of fouls are legendary.    Al Michaels' comments about them are even better.

• Love 12

Like the Eagles need more power on defense so they get Michael Bennett?!?

I feel like the Legion of Boom is truly done because there are rumors Richard Sherman has said goodbye to his teammates.

I mean, if he’s going, I hope the Giants take him immediately.

• Love 2

Damn.  Russell Wilson really is going to be on his own, because they had cap space when he was still under the rookie pay scale but now when they need to pay him what he is worth, they gotta let everyone go.

• Love 2
(edited)

According to Ian Rapoport on Twitter the Browns have traded for both Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor.

I think these are interesting moves. There has been speculation for a bit now that the Browns have wanted to go after Josh Allen as their #1 pick as well as report that they were listening to offers for that pick. I wonder what they will end up doing in the draft, especially after making these trades.

***Edited because the Browns have made another trade*** It's now being reported that the Browns have traded DeShone Kizer to the Green Bay Packers. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Damn.  Russell Wilson really is going to be on his own, because they had cap space when he was still under the rookie pay scale but now when they need to pay him what he is worth, they gotta let everyone go.

Yes they are going to see if Wilson can carry the team now. 

Lots of interesting moves by the Browns.  I assume this means not drafting a QB #1.  Makes things more complicated for the Colts and will be interesting to see what the Browns do with the #1. 

The #3 pick now becomes more valuable since its more likely a top QB with be available, so the trade value may increase

There is a chance now though Chubb and Barkley go #1/2, the two guys I would think the Colts are targeting at #3, so then not sure what they do.  Options would be taking a guard in Nelson at #3 or trading down.  I would think they want to trade down in that scenario

• Love 1

Third round pick for Tyrod is insanity. And I like him more than an average Bills fan seems to. I thought he’d get released and picked up in the bargain bin. But Hue Jackson’s fetish for any QB he’s heard of strikes again. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jx223 said:

According to Ian Rapoport on Twitter the Browns have traded for both Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor.

I think these are interesting moves. There has been speculation for a bit now that the Browns have wanted to go after Josh Allen as their #1 pick as well as report that they were listening to offers for that pick. I wonder what they will end up doing in the draft, especially after making these trades.

***Edited because the Browns have made another trade*** It's now being reported that the Browns have traded DeShone Kizer to the Green Bay Packers. 

We all knew DeShawn was going to be traded.  And at least Tyrod’s acquisition might prevent the Brown’s from drafting Baker Mayfield.  He’s another Johnny Manziel in the making.

• Love 1

Tyrod was on the outs in Buffalo despite being the best QB they had.   Sad that he had to go to the Browns.  

Kizer was never liked by Jackson despite being a good QB.   Being back up to Aaron Rodgers is a good thing for him.   He can learn and still get playing time (Aaron Rodgers gets hurt regularly).   This worked out extremely well.  

Then they went and got Landry.

The Browns may win a game this year - despite their head coach.   

They may be making more moves.   

As for the draft, S. Griffen is moving up.   He may leap frog a few people right into the top 10.   I said it here first.   And what a story, not even invited to the Combine until after the Senior Bowl.   Wowed folks there.   I will be watching this one closely.  

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

As a Niner fan, I'm not too sure how I feel about this.

As a neutral fan, I see this as a move that makes a lot of sense. Sherman has the 6th highest cornerback average salary in the league now according to Sportrac, which isn't outlandish. I'd presume that his play will be close to what it was in Seattle, though the injury recovery makes that a bit iffy. You'd know better than I would, but CB seems like a position of need based on not recognizing anyone else listed on the 49ers roster as a CB and them all being paid relative peanuts. The team still seems to have a lot of cap space, and the front office seems to be on the ball and/or very fortunate with some of their moves.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I can't figure out why teams continue to throw money at Sam Bradford.  Talk about a charmed life. 

Great nickname though, Sammy Sleeves, love it.

6 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Packers released Jordy Nelson today. 

Im still in disbelief...

I thought they might restructure but apparently they only offered him the minimum.  He was my favorite current Packer.  He and Rodgers seemed to always be on the same wavelength.  So yeah, this one hurts. 

• Love 1

Also because you know Robert Kraft has already made that call to Jordy.

Meanwhile the Giants have signed 75 year old Jonathan Stewart which somehow means they are going to take Barkley?

I don’t know anything about that but I do know I am nearly at the end of my rope with ODB because you just watch - NY will cut him, he’ll be signed immediately because duh, and he’ll be in the Super Bowl next year.

I am really, genuinely bummed that Amendola is apparently leaving the Pats for the Dolphins, and I think he could prove to be a bigger loss for the Pats than many are projecting. As Wes Welker proved, catching all the regular-season balls in the world means jack if you can’t haul them in on the biggest stage. Amendola’s regular-season numbers may not have blown the doors off, but he was immensely clutch in the playoffs. They don’t win (2014/16), and probably don’t even make it to (this year), the most recent slate of Super Bowls without him. Aside from maybe Edelman, none of the receivers the Pats have are nearly as clutch. Can’t blame Amendola for taking the huge salary—I think he’ll get paid more in a season than he did the last theee in NE combined, he’d be stupid to turn that contract down—but I am bummed, and like I said, I think Dola has the potential to be a bigger loss than many recognize.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

Yeah, the loss of Amendola is not to be taken lightly. He's played in 13 playoff games and his production in them would project to about 1,000 yards over a 16 game season.

They also lost Dion Lewis, who was the #1 back.

The biggest guy to watch is Nate Solder, as there aren't many good options to replacing a left tackle.

Still, this is the way the Patriots have done things over the course of this run. They are quiet and let teams sling dumb money around, and go in afterwards to go find undervalued guys. All except for a few seasons like last seasons, where they aggressively made splashy moves and "won the offseason". Of course, half of those splashy moves didn't work out, and they'd probably be better off staying put and drafting where they were, but hindsight is 20/20.  I think they're fine despite the early FA losses.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

The biggest guy to watch is Nate Solder, as there aren't many good options to replacing a left tackle.

It pains me to say this: he's going to the Giants in about 10 minutes, and (this part doesn't pain me, it makes me happy for him) will apparently be the highest-paid lineman in the league. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

It pains me to say this: he's going to the Giants in about 10 minutes, and (this part doesn't pain me, it makes me happy for him) will apparently be the highest-paid lineman in the league. 

Yeah, good for him for cashing in, but that is crazy money the Giants are giving him. Solder was a nice player but wow, I would not have paid that for him!

43 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Yeah, good for him for cashing in, but that is crazy money the Giants are giving him. Solder was a nice player but wow, I would not have paid that for him!

Supply and demand, I think. OL in general and LT in particular are very thin, both in FA and draft. And the Giants OL has been an issue for years and got the last GM fired.

• Love 3
On 3/14/2018 at 10:48 AM, mojoween said:

Media chatter only.  But if he gets nailed for drugs he’ll be gone for awhile anyways.

One less discussed benefit to whatever team drafts Barkley. They don't need to worry about that sort of foolishness with him. As Kim Jones said, he's low risk, high reward.

Edited by VMepicgrl

Some sad news amongst the free agent signings.   Saints owner Tom Benson has passed away.   Everyone thought he would move the team after Katrina  laid waste to the city.   but he stayed.   He helped the City rebuild and brought them a Super Bowl.    Then there was that hideous fight with this children over their inheritance  (spoiler - kids are owed NOTHING).   Truly REST IN PEACE Mr. Benson.

• Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, Popples said:

After 11 years, Browns OT Joe Thomas retires.

Joe Thomas is a no doubt first ballot Hall of Famer.  As a fan of the Wisconsin Badgers, I cannot believe it's been 11 years.  It seems like just yesterday he was the stalwart on the line for Bucky that he was with the Browns.  Lots of Wisconsin fans always wished he could have had a chance, just once, to play on a good team.  

As a Packers fan, I'm very sad about Jordy, even though I knew it was coming.  His salary would have been a huge bite out of the cap this year, and if last year was any indication, he's beginning to show the years.  But just a great guy in the locker room and the community.  It doesn't surprise me that a team like Oakland wants him for a year or two, to show the younger guys what being a pro is all about.  I think in a year or two, Jordy will retire, but I hope he will first sign a one-day contract to retire as a Packer, and then in a few years, he will go into the Packers Hall of Fame.  He will get thunderous ovations every year during alumni weekend.  The thing I remember about Jordy is how clutch he was down the stretch in the Super Bowl against the Steelers.  And he did it while injured - at the celebration at Lambeau 2 days after the SB, he was on crutches!  At some point during the game he suffered some type of injury.  The Packers nor Jordy ever said what it was.  But you would not have known from his performance in the game he was hurt.  The Packers lost Donald Driver during the SB to a badly sprained ankle, so thank goodness Jordy was able to play through whatever the injury was.  

Colts made a great trade to move back only to #6 from #3 plus adding 3 second round picks over the next few years.  They could still get CHubbs out of NC state there, and if not him then Nelson from ND or even possibly Barkely, if they choose

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22805858/new-york-jets-acquire-no-3-pick-nfl-draft-trade-indianapolis-colts

the rest of FA so far by Ballard has been baffling.  $70 million to spend and has not landed one top FA.  They signed one pass rusher in Denico Autry, who seems to have some potential as a DE that is needed sorely for pass rush, but hardly the type of guy you are expecting with that much FA money

Missed out it seems on a number of OL and LBers that could help the team

Cut Hankins, a DT that played great last year, seemingly because of a change from 3-4 to 4-3 D, but he is a DT and has played in a 4-3 before. 

Lost there best corner from last year, Melvin, to free agency, chose to sign a one year deal for $6 million, not a lot of money

Just baffling.......he has stated he wants to build through the draft.  That's fine, but at some point you have to sign SOMEONE just to fill roster holes. 

Damn.  First Justin Pugh and now JPP?  I mean, I get they both had issues in their own injurious ways, but still.  Lotta veteran presence heading out the door.  I think I read Dwayne Harris was released too?

Also JPP blocked a field goal in Dallas and for that I will always love him.

• Love 3

I was listening to a story about the owners meetings and I wonder if the Packers get a representative in these?

I think it would be awesome if the actual Packers owners went.  Every single one of them.

16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was listening to a story about the owners meetings and I wonder if the Packers get a representative in these?

I think it would be awesome if the actual Packers owners went.  Every single one of them.

Hee.  I'm sure they'd love that.  GB does get a rep.  Mark Murphy, the President/CEO of the team goes.