Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

All the stupid news feeds tell me that poor Taylor is sitting in “freezing” weather at the game. No, she’s in a heated luxury suite so STFU and feel sorry for the fans and players instead. How do I get those dumb articles to disappear from my feed? I don’t even click on them!

At least it looks like the Chiefs fans that braved the cold get to see their team win. I hope they lose the next game because I cannot stomach these fools in another SB.

• Like 9

How bout them Dolphins!

As twoods mentioned, there was no reason to bring up faux situations like Swift outside for Travis in the cold.  Taylor sitting outside instead of the BOX (where she was every game she attended) would've been nothing more than a publicity stunt.  Sorta reminded me of Ben and Jennifer outside during a Packers Game not too long ago.  NO Chance

• Like 2

Well, I resisted for the first half, but then went ahead and used my friend's Peacock log-in to watch the second because I was doing stuff in the room whose TV has streaming access -- what a meh game.  Peacock asked me if they could send "my" account info to the NFL, who might send it on to its teams.  Um, no; it's bad enough I added to your count of people who'd consent to watching a fucking playoff game made available only via streaming.  I wish I hadn't.

• Like 1

I'll admit: I'm not as sympathetic as several, and that's because I have Peacock.  However, I totally understand why several did not make the move for it.  For one football game.

That being said, I do not have any patience with those that purchase Starbucks coffee (daily).  Maybe I would, but if you get that daily, then I couldn't feel sorry if I tried.  If cost is the issue, then it doesn't make sense to me.

For me, it worked since there is a ton of decent content with Peacock.  Ditto Paramount.  I know someone that was okay with it tonight due to being out of town, where he was in a hotel that didn't have NBC local for some reason.  It was during The Open (final golf major), so he took the dive.  The rest is history.

Peacock or NBC: tonight's game was still not good.  It was just alright/meh/blah to me

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, roamyn said:

40mph winds in Buffalo on Sun, with a chance for a foot of snow.  There were talks of moving that game to Cleveland, but I think they would've done that by now.

I read they were considering Atlanta which makes more sense.  But it would rob the Bills of home field advantage as Atlanta is far enough away most fans wouldn't be able to get there. 

I think the snow Buffalo is getting is much more dangerous.  It's not just snow.  It's wind.  It's the effect of having so many people traveling that doesn't just risk their lives but it could affect the rescue efforts of others.  People can get stuck in their cars and abandon their cars which makes it more difficult for plows to get through. 

The wind is dangerous but there are warm clothing, warm inserts people can put around extremities and KC has put up warming areas inside the stadium.

Edited by Irlandesa

Any talk of whether Cleveland would have beaten this or that team has to take into consideration the location of such a game. At home, Cleveland's defense was amazing; on the road, it was utterly pedestrian. And the offense probably was something of a paper tiger. They had a weak schedule down the stretch, and QBs can't get away with interceptions in the playoffs as much as they can in the regular season. That was always going to catch up to Flacco. In short, they probably couldn't have beat any of the other playoff teams in a road game, and I think they would've lost a home game to most of them too.

But I love that it was the Texans that beat down the Browns. I hope Haslam is reminded over and over just how many top draft picks he gave the Texans for that creep Watson. He would have been so much better off using all that draft capital on a QB and other pieces instead. Imagine what the roster might be like. Instead what he has is a veteran team built to win now, and if they don't, it'll be some time before they can rebuild because they gave up so many valuable picks.

Mahomes's helmet cracking from the cold was nuts to see. I saw a writer on CBS Sports questioning both why the refs let another play be run before he could change his helmet, which is a legit question, and why Elliott didn't get a flag for a helmet-to-helmet hit. That I don't understand at all, as Mahomes clearly lowered his head while Elliott's head never changed angle. The helmet-to-helmet hit was all Mahomes's doing.

• Like 8

People in KC and Miami were able to watch  the game on NBC so anyone outside those markets who wanted to watch had to subscribe to Peacock if they didn’t already have it.  Out of the six games this weekend that is the game I would have predicted to be the least competitive.  I wonder if Peacock will release what I presume will be underperforming numbers for new subscribers.

I feel like the Browns decision to get Watson is going to haunt them for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, Carey said:

I'll admit: I'm not as sympathetic as several, and that's because I have Peacock.  However, I totally understand why several did not make the move for it.  For one football game.

We would've tuned in if we already had Peacock, but we don't, and we didn't want to bother signing up for it for just one game (which I'm glad I didn't see!).  We kept up with the score on ESPN.com.  However, I think it's a dick move by the NFL to expect people to sign up for a service (no matter how cheap it may have been) just to see their team play.  It's as if they're trying to squeeze every last nickel and dime from the fans and that's pathetic. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
3 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

We would've tuned in if we already had Peacock, but we don't, and we didn't want to bother signing up for it for just one game (which I'm glad I didn't see!).  We kept up with the score on ESPN.com.  However, I think it's a dick move by the NFL to expect people to sign up for a service (no matter how cheap it may have been) just to see their team play.  It's as if they're trying to squeeze every last nickel and dime from the fans and that's pathetic. 

The NFL is trying to squeeze fans.  It started with Prime games on Thursdays. When the NFL network had Thursday night games the team's local market could watch on a local channel.  Prime took that way.  There are people who don't have Prime.  Hell there are people who don't have internet. The NFL has always been about money but it's gotten worse.

Oh and since it's something we talk about every week there were some horrible calls in the KC game. 

• Like 3

I expect nothing else from the NFL (or MLB or the NCAA etc.) but attempts to get more money from their fans.  One thing that has always irked me is that when Packer games were on some provider other than NBC, FOX, CBS.  They are shown on local tv to accommodate fans - except that the NFL deems the local markets for Packers games to be Green Bay and Milwaukee, rather than the entire state of Wisconsin.  Those of us in the Madison market or the western part of the state cannot get the game without paying for whatever the premier service is. 

I have considered getting Peacock because several Wisconsin basketball games are being streamed on Peacock this season.  But thus far I have refused to pony up the dough.  In past years, I would watch almost every minute of every playoff game.  But no more.  I watched a movie last night and survived very nicely without being able to see the Chiefs/Dolphins game. I'm not sure this is the attitude that the NFL wants its diehard fans to adopt!   

• Like 2

Money-grabbing being the NFL's favorite pastime, I am sure this is not the end of the streaming experiment.  This was just a trial balloon.  No doubt we'll start seeing more NBC games on Peacock, CBS games on Paramount, ESPN going to their ESPN+ add-on, and playoff games on Amazon Prime.

Maybe even HBO, since they do Hard Knocks.  I wonder how Liev Schreiber would fare as a play-by-play announcer...

I stayed in a sports blackout last night and watched the replay on NFLN this morning until I got bored.  It definitely was not worth a PPV fee.

• Like 3

Not a great day to start the postseason.  One rout and another game where it was just "whatever" for me.  Still, it's the postseason, and I imagine that things will get better before the weekend ends.  Though I really only see one, maybe 2 games that are expected to be great, and that's it.  Rams/Lions has the potential to be the best game of the Wild Card weekend.  Maybe Packers/Cowboys could also be very good.

Speaking of which: that's a big game.  As mentioned, it hasn't been a decent weekend so far.  It's still possible that all six games end up being horrible.  People will think that'll lead to league changing things.  Sure the NFL will change things.  That change would be two games each day and doing away with a 5-day rest period.  Thanks to the fact that it might occur unintentionally this postseason.  So much for competitive advantage.

Yet, Dallas still can't take advantage of being on the right side of it.  On a related note, no matter how awful this weekend might turn out to be, it'll turn out to be a great weekend with a Packers win...and at least a couple other things.

Nothing would thrill me more if Dallas is trailing by 3 with a chance to kick a FG or win outright in regulation.  Instead of the sure automatic field goal, they catch Green Bay off guard, go for the fake, and either a wide open Lamb drops it, or he catches it.  With the latter, he slips & falls at the 1-yard line, and time expires in the 4th quarter.

Stunned silence at AT&T.  Then cut to the Cowboys owner crunched down, head down, and crying on television.  What Mr. Jones did not know (or maybe Jerry did) is that the box is mic'd.  So I can hear his sobbing, or maybe not since I'd be laughing to where I couldn't hear it.  Either way, everybody else can hear it.  

So after several fan camera shots looking stunned over the outcome and their leader's reaction, FOX cuts to a stunned Kevin & Greg looking at the camera speechless, then cuts to a stunned Erin looking at the camera speechless, after that a stunned Rinaldi looking at the camera speechless, followed by FOX cutting to the studio to a stunned Curt, Jay Glazer (solo shot), & Michael looking at the camera speechless (while TB is drinking at the same time AND Jimmy just shrugs & puts his hands in a way that signals oh well, and then Howie just shaking his head).  Then back to that grown man sobbing before Kevin & Greg recover and bring it back to wrap things up.

Whatever happens with the other games, happens.  Though seeing Dallas losing however they lose would be great TV for sure!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I found out yesterday that Peacock is going to be the exclusive streamer for “Oppenheimer” (on February 16) and I wonder if they advertised that during the game.  I wouldn’t know as I was reading while the game played on the iPad, and then my battery was low so I bailed in the fourth when Miami was still within one score.

No football today until 4:30 now which is a bummer.  And how ridiculous is this - I was trying to think off the top of my head who is playing in the night game, and it took me way longer than it should have to come up with LA and Detroit.  

• Applause 1
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I found out yesterday that Peacock is going to be the exclusive streamer for “Oppenheimer” (on February 16) and I wonder if they advertised that during the game.

Yes, they did, once or twice. 😉

I had almost forgotten I have a Peacock subscription. Last summer, @JTMacc99 posted about a deal they were running, and I got a 1-year subscription for about $20.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

No football today until 4:30 now which is a bummer.  And how ridiculous is this - I was trying to think off the top of my head who is playing in the night game, and it took me way longer than it should have to come up with LA and Detroit.  

FWIW, I thought that the Steelers were going to get that SNF slot for sure.  They tend to put them there; after all, they still are a big deal when it comes to money, ratings and what not.  They're not Dallas or Green Bay, but the market & base is still huge (and tops in the AFC).  However, Mason Rudolph and NO Watt vs Allen and Diggs isn't a decent draw, and Detroit/Los Angeles is a much better alternate game than Bucs/Eagles was 2 years ago (when I thought that Steelers/KC was going to be an awful game, which is was).

I still wished they would've put Bills/Steelers on at 1:00 on Saturday, 01/13/2024.  They revived that slot for the first time in a couple decades upon their move to 14 teams in the playoffs.  That would've been a better bet over dragging that out.  Regardless, I'm a little surprised that the NFL didn't push the other games up 90 minutes.  3:00 and 6:30 for Dallas/Green Bay and Detroit/LA respectively would've been decent over waiting 4-5 hours for action to start (which happened 7 years ago)

11 hours ago, twoods said:

Was it that cold that the helmet cracked?

Appears to be.  I read up on the manufacturer’s design & the chemistry of it all (I now know waaaaay too much useless info about helmets).

As scary (& awesome) as the crack-apart looked, some ex-players said it was better than the alternative, which would be to compress against the head of the athlete, prob resulting in concussion.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Not a great day to start the postseason.  One rout and another game where it was just "whatever" for me.  Still, it's the postseason, and I imagine that things will get better before the weekend ends.

It'll definitely get better if the Cowboys lose. Seeing & watching the sadness of Jerry Jones watching yet another season going up in smoke at home today will definitely put a smile on my face. ESPN will be very very sad about it, but I definitely won't. It'll be like Christmas coming back again. There is no way in hell that I will ever root for Jerry Jones & the Cowboys to make another Super Bowl appearance & winning it. 

As for those sorry, sucky, scummy Rams, I really hope that they lose to the Lions tonight.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Nothing would thrill me more if Dallas is trailing by 3 with a chance to kick a FG or win outright in regulation.

I'd take that, but I'd be more thrilled if they were trailing by 30...in the first quarter.  I haven't rooted for Green Bay all season but they're getting my positive vibes today.

Anything to see Jerruh's smug, scum-sucking, simian smirk shattered and swept away.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Regardless, I'm a little surprised that the NFL didn't push the other games up 90 minutes.  3:00 and 6:30 for Dallas/Green Bay and Detroit/LA respectively would've been decent over waiting 4-5 hours for action to start (which happened 7 years ago)

I'm thinking the logistics of moving the schedules of all the employees involved in the game, from security officials to bus drivers to the concession workers, not to mention network personnel like camera guys, on such short notice, might have precluded that.

I've never been crazy about the 10 am starts in September, but sometimes it's good to be in a Western time zone.  The second, now first, game today starts at 2:30 Mountain Time.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

Appears to be.  I read up on the manufacturer’s design & the chemistry of it all (I now know waaaaay too much useless info about helmets).

As scary (& awesome) as the crack-apart looked, some ex-players said it was better than the alternative, which would be to compress against the head of the athlete, prob resulting in concussion.

I was fascinated to see the inside of a helmet (and glad that Mahomes' head didn't take the brunt). I've never seen the inside of a helmet before, somehow.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The NFL is trying to squeeze fans.  It started with Prime games on Thursdays. When the NFL network had Thursday night games the team's local market could watch on a local channel.  Prime took that way.  There are people who don't have Prime.  Hell there are people who don't have internet. The NFL has always been about money but it's gotten worse.

Oh and since it's something we talk about every week there were some horrible calls in the KC game. 

Of course the NFL is trying to squeeze fans.  But the reason they are putting games on streaming sites is to try to attract new fans from those who no longer access broadcast TV and get everything through streaming.  You know, those pesky millennials.

In the meantime, I've paid my money to attend a playoff game next week in Santa Clara, and I don't know what day or time it is.  Because the greedy NFL is going to look at all the matchups and decide what will make them the most money.

There were some truly dreadful calls in the game last night, and all in KC's favor.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

But the reason they are putting games on streaming sites is to try to attract new fans from those who no longer access broadcast TV and get everything through streaming.

Then they could have done what they did with other games, and simulcast it on NBC and Peacock.  Not exclude it from the free network.  It's not like you were going to get something special if you paid for streaming.

13 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

In the meantime, I've paid my money to attend a playoff game next week in Santa Clara, and I don't know what day or time it is.  Because the greedy NFL is going to look at all the matchups and decide what will make them the most money.

No doubt there are people who've arranged hotel rooms, rental cars, plane trips, dog-sitting, time off from work, etc., for the privilege of paying outrageous ticket prices, but can have all their carefully arranged plans upset at the whim of the ultra-rich NFL elite.

13 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

There were some truly dreadful calls in the game last night, and all in KC's favor.

And in other news, water is wet.  I haven't seen overall officiating this bad since the year of the substitute refs.  But of course, like Tom before him, Patrick is a special snowflake and needs special handling.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Then they could have done what they did with other games, and simulcast it on NBC and Peacock.  Not exclude it from the free network.  It's not like you were going to get something special if you paid for streaming.

No doubt there are people who've arranged hotel rooms, rental cars, plane trips, dog-sitting, time off from work, etc., for the privilege of paying outrageous ticket prices, but can have all their carefully arranged plans upset at the whim of the ultra-rich NFL elite.

And in other news, water is wet.  I haven't seen overall officiating this bad since the year of the substitute refs.  But of course, like Tom before him, Patrick is a special snowflake and needs special handling.

The NFL like most corporations are always trying to appeal to new customers and in the process piss off existing customers.  I doubt we will ever find out if Peacock made more money from last night's game than if if it had aired on NBC.

I remember a few years ago an Eagles game was rescheduled and they interviewed fans who had come to Philly who couldn't stay the extra day. I hear a lot of people saying since tomorrow's a holiday it's not a big deal the game was rescheduled.  It's not a holiday for everyone.  I have to work and luckily I can leave a little early but there are people who will not be able to do that. I looked at the forecast for Buffalo tomorrow.   They are expecting a lot of snow. If they reschedule again when will we find out?

When that roughing the passer was called on Miami one of the announcers, I think Jason Garrett, said you have to expect that since it's Patrick Mahomes and the league wants him protected.  Wouldn't it would be nice if all QBs were treated the same way?

And I know the game hasn't started yet but I'm going to say it anyways.  Fuck Dallas.

• Like 4

Would love to se the Pack win but they probably lose by at least 2 scores.  The Packers’ defense is not good and their special teams are not special and while the offense gives all Packer fans reason for optimism they are so young and prone to mistakes.  Maybe McCarthy will give us hope with abysmal clock management & misuse of TOs. (Misty watercolor memories …) 

Well I am holding my nose and cheering for Dallas, or rather, mumbling for Dallas, because no way can I cheer for the Packers. I am too purple for that.

But if Packers win I will cheer for the next team they play to beat them. Best scenario is that Lions crush them. I'm on the Detroit bandwagon  this playoff season.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

Looks like another year that the Cowboys are going to shit in their own bed again. What a bunch of idiots.

As someone who has watched every Packer defensive play this year, let me just say there's a lot of football to be played yet.  Dallas has the number one offense and the Pack's defense has made 3rd and 4th string QBs look like all-pros.

There's still a lot of time, but I figured that this would be the year where a 2 seed isn't part of the Divisional Round for the first time.  I just figured that it would be the Rams doing the deed, and against Philadelphia before Dallas or Detroit.

Speaking of which, if Green Bay can escape, there is a chance that a 5 seed could host a playoff game for the first time.  Detroit would have to lose though, but if they do, then the winner of Monday night's game full of underperforming & banged up players would get a home game.

BTW, Lamb18, you probably do not have to root for the next team that would play the Packers.  However, they still have to play the game, but barring an injury to one player in particular, you'll be fine.

Still, I expect these 2 seeds to take out their frustrations on the team that wrecked their open date.  The scoring margin is pretty high, but not higher thanks to Buffalo.  Speaking of which, that's wishful thinking they're done tomorrow

4 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Did anyone see that for a few seconds the score at the bottom of the screen was 14-1? Then it changed back to 14-0.

I think that was just 14 to 1 in terms of plays within one's opponent's territory

One of the fantasy leagues I’m in involves my cousins who live in Dallas. I lost this year but I’m secretly loving this since from September- December all I hear about is Dallas. 

• Like 2