Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I hate Jerry Jones.  I think he's a terrible human being.  But I don't think keeping a coach who has gone 12-5 over the past three seasons, including winning the division twice, and who has helped improve the play of the QB, is insanity.

Then Jerry doesn't really care abt winning the NFCC or the SB.

ALL of McCarthy's post season games with the Cowboys (and most with the Packers) have seen teams that were not prepared, disjointed, and undisciplined. 

Even the players have said winning 12-5 means nothing if it doesn't amount to anything but a division title.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Focusing on the past three years and ignoring everything else from a veteran coach is just as potentially shortsighted as ignoring the past three years and focusing on the rest.  Mike McCarthy has been a coach for 17 years.  Has Mike proven himself to be the guy to push a team over the top?  If the answer is no then Jerry needs to find someone who has the potential to do so unless he wants the Cowboys to continue being the good regular season team that flames out in the playoffs.

Something similar is going on Pittsburgh.  Mike Tomlin has never had a team finish under 500.  We keep hearing this over and over again.  Sure that sounds nice but in the AFC North we need a team that can do way more than that.  I used to defend Tomlin but now I'm beginning to think we need some new blood.  I look around the league and I see these new younger coaches (and it's crazy because Tomlin is only 52) and good things are happening with them.  I knew it wasn't going to be easy after our franchise QB retired but it sucks to see them do just enough to get in the playoffs and then lose.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Jerry needs to find someone who has the potential to do so unless he wants the Cowboys to continue being the good regular season team that flames out in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I knew it wasn't going to be easy after our franchise QB retired but it sucks to see them do just enough to get in the playoffs and then lose.

It's actually been going on for a LONG time in Pittsburgh. Since their last Super Bowl appearance in 2010, the Steelers have had 8 playoff appearances.  Only in two of those years did they win a game.

In addition to this year, they also had 5 one-and-done years with Roethlisberger.

They won a wildcard game in 2015 18-16 over the Bengals in 2015 before losing to the eventual champion Broncos in the divisional round, and they won two games in 2016 before again losing to the eventual champion Patriots in the AFC Championship.

There is no shame in losing to that Broncos defense in 2015 or that Brady lit them up in 2016,  But I can see how all of the other 1 game and they go home appearances are starting to sit poorly with the fans. 

Since 2017 the Steelers are 70-43-2.  The Jets were 39-79-0 in that same period.  They have won the same number of playoff games during that stretch.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

They won a wildcard game in 2015 18-16 over the Bengals in 2015

That was the game Burfict knocked out Antonio Brown. I'm convinced that hit literally changed Brown's brain.  He was never the same after that.

7 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

But I can see how all of the other 1 game and they go home appearances are starting to sit poorly with the fans.

It's frustrating because it starts to look like they (meaning the coaches and the Rooneys) aren't trying to make things better. 

After the Steelers beat Arizona in the SB I told myself I would never again get angry about them not winning.  I used to take their losses to heart.  But after finally winning the fifth SB against Seattle winning another one so soon was like gravy.  I didn't lose it after GB beat them a couple years later.  But now I'm starting to not care if they win or lose.  Sports teams need their fans to be passionate about them. And right now I think a lot of us are becoming indifferent.

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

...   But now I'm starting to not care if they win or lose.  Sports teams need their fans to be passionate about them. And right now I think a lot of us are becoming indifferent.

It's sad when fans become disheartened with their teams.  I'm a huge Ravens fan, but it's still sad when an opposing team's fan is losing interest.  For the record, I was also extremely proud of the Brown's fans for sticking by them through the lean years (but definitely understand the exodus over the Watson debacle) - I also hoped Flacco did well for them (other than when he might play the Ravens).

• Like 1
(edited)

I have a lot (or about a lot) to add in response to the comments from bluegirl147, as well as the Cowboys and what not.  In brief, AB has been a problem well before that game, being disinterested does suck but I'd combine the way the league has been operating as of late to the lack of interest, and finally...

...the Dallas Cowboys ceiling is the Divisional Round.  I'm sorry to tell you & I am harsh, but based on the entire story of that franchise since Super Bowl XXX, where is the proof that the second weekend is not good enough based on actions and outcomes.  It's just not there.

BTW, losing to Kansas City & Buffalo probably isn't criticized as much if you don't lose to a team sans its head coach (or Jacksonville to a lesser extent)

Edited by Carey
9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

After the Steelers beat Arizona in the SB I told myself I would never again get angry about them not winning.  I used to take their losses to heart.  But after finally winning the fifth SB against Seattle winning another one so soon was like gravy. 

The Rooneys are so into continuity that if Bill Cowher had not retired, almost assuredly he'd still be the coach there.  But how far was any coach going to get with Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, and Mason Rudolph as his QB corps, and losing his star player on defense?

I think Dall-ass assumes, year after year, that they are just that good and that they don't need to kick it up a notch to advance.  They have collective amnesia about their performance in the past 30 years and believe their own hype.  Any semblance of winning translates to America's Team media hysteria.  They're almost always the lead game/game of the week for the networks, and the coverage reflects that.  They forget that they backed into the division title this year with the Philly collapse.

• Like 4
(edited)

This is from my FB memories from 10 years ago on this date, and I cannot for the life of me remember why I would have found this funny.  I mean, Seattle won the game, and I think Richard was still there then?

(edit - this was apparently the San Fran / Baltimore SB so now I’m even more confused)

Twitter...always finding ways to make me laugh...

"Wait till you see how angry #RichardSherman gets next week when he tries to drive over the GW Bridge. #SuperBowlXLVIII"

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

This is from my FB memories from 10 years ago on this date, and I cannot for the life of me remember why I would have found this funny.  I mean, Seattle won the game, and I think Richard was still there then?

(edit - this was apparently the San Fran / Baltimore SB so now I’m even more confused)

FOUND IT!

So Super Bowl 48 was at the Meadowlands, Seattle vs Denver, which explains the GW Bridge comment, and the general snark about the fact that holding a SB there was less than ideal (traffic, weather, and so on.) I actually turned down free tickets to go to that game, because, no thank you.

So I did a quick search on the NFC Championship and Richard Sherman. He broke up the final play SF ran on offense, smacking down a pass aimed for Michael Crabtree.  It was a good play, and in the highlights of that play, I noticed that the announcers mentioned flags were down after the play was over, and right at the end of the highlight was a very quick glimpse of Sherman getting in Crabtree's face and pushing him back by his facemask.

So I went looking a little deeper, and I have your context for you.

heh...

• Mind Blown 1

So the Raiders are making Antonio Pierce the permanent HC.

I think it's the right move. Pierce did wonders for the defense, while the offense is likely to remain shaky next year no matter who is HC because the team doesn't have a franchise QB. (I don't think O'Connell is the answer.) But having a powerhouse defense will make this a good situation for an incoming QB season after next. They can focus on building up the OL this year, a crucial step for making the future QB successful.

• Like 7

I agree that keeping Antonio Pierce was the right move.  Not only did he have some nice wins (and a terrible Vikings loss), but he went 3-1 in the division, including beating the Chiefs.  

Glad for the players and the fans, even if I don't care for the Raiders.

• Like 3

On a tangentially related note, both Belichick and Harbaugh are doing second interviews with the Falcons.

The other teams still in search of a head coach are, I believe, the Panthers, Chargers, Seahawks, Titans, and Commanders.

Setting aside Carolina, which is a dumpster fire, I don't entirely understand why Atlanta is apparently the top open job. I get the Spanii have a poor reputation, for instance, but out of all the teams looking for HCs the Chargers still have the top franchise QB in Justin Herbert plus a few other very nice pieces. The Seahawks and Titans seem promising destinations as well.

I don't really know much about Atlanta, except that they do not currently have a franchise QB, unless there's anyone who still thinks Ridder could be. What's the draw? Is their defense stealthy good? Or is it because their division is one of the weaker ones and therefore easier to win? If you're the Chargers, you have to contend with the Chiefs, and if you're the Seahawks, you have to contend with the Niners.

Setting aside Carolina, which is a dumpster fire, I don't entirely understand why Atlanta is apparently the top open job. 

From the outside perspective, Arthur Blank seems like a not terrible owner who has allowed his coaches the space to sink or swim on their own merits. That alone puts the job as no worse than the top third in the league. Certainly above Carolina right away. Falcons don't have a QB in place, but they have a lot of highly drafted skill players who are theoretically enticing. 

Are the Titans enticing? They've recently had two years of power struggles between Vrabel and the GMs, so an incoming coach would have to be expecting to serve under the GM. They seem to think they have the QB of the future in Will Levis, but you may or may not agree.

Seattle might be a decent situation. Depends about how you feel about their personnel vs. Atlanta's. Geno has been a nice surprise, but is he the future? Also, as you noted, NFC West competition is a lot tougher than NFC South at the moment.

The Commanders who knows? Brand new owner, could go either way.

Basically, I think Blank is aggressively signaling to Belichick and Harbaugh that they'll be allowed carte blanche to run the team as they see fit. I don't know if other teams are doing that.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

We'll see re: Derrick Henry if Tennessee can get a decent coach.  Especially if it's on his side of the ball.  OTOH, one of the things I dislike is someone that lacks the ability to make a move, in a top notch position.

In other words, not making a move due to it being too good to be true.  Derrick is heading into his 10th season, but I think he can still produce a lot in return.  Tennessee would have to add but why not go for the move to move the guy

2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

From the outside perspective, Arthur Blank seems like a not terrible owner who has allowed his coaches the space to sink or swim on their own merits. That alone puts the job as no worse than the top third in the league.

This is the entire reason. I’ve heard him interviewed, and he’s a good owner.

• Like 1
(edited)

I've heard pundits also say the Commanders is an enticing job.  I'm not sure why.  They sold off many of their top pieces, they have an unknown conglomerate with Josh Harris as their leader, they likely need a better QB.

Yes they have many draft picks.

The biggest drawback on the Chargers is that the Spanos's are a cash poor team.

Edited by roamyn

For some reason I’m still thinking about the fact that Tampa mustered nine points against the worst team in the league and dropped 32 on (allegedly) one of the best.

• Like 2

Tampa was not easy to figure out.  I picked Philadelphia not because they were still a better team (despite playing like the opposite), but due to the fact that the Bucs hadn't looked great against mediocre competition.  Plus, the last time I picked Tampa against the NFC East or a team against a team that "gave up" the quitting team ended up pounding their opponent.

Bucs/Eagles was a total coin flip.  Ended up as a petty pick since I wanted to see Baker win whereas with Philly, they got to the Super Bowl last year.  The NFC Champions were not repeating as such even had they won on Monday

On 1/18/2024 at 12:24 PM, Johannah said:

It's sad when fans become disheartened with their teams.  I'm a huge Ravens fan, but it's still sad when an opposing team's fan is losing interest.  For the record, I was also extremely proud of the Brown's fans for sticking by them through the lean years (but definitely understand the exodus over the Watson debacle) - I also hoped Flacco did well for them (other than when he might play the Ravens).

Well put.  While part of my admiration for the other teams is due to the performance of the team I root for, I respect the other teams due to how great & successful they have been.  Cincinnati has been great, and we'll see if they can actually finish the job.  Cleveland in the aftermath of getting Flacco has been worth it.  Finally Baltimore has been great more often than not.

While things have turned around for Houston it looks like, I do want to see the AFC North Champions win today.  I'm not going to lose sleep if they don't, but Baltimore is so due for the chance to host an AFC Championship Game.  I don't have to tell Johannah or any of their fans how that atmosphere will appear one week from Sunday if they survive this afternoon.

Again, if someone other than Baltimore wins the whole thing, that's not going to be a bad thing, but LJ as a champion would be so great for the sport and what not.  Finally, there's no Buck Showalter and/or a baseball conflict in September to wreck a (possible) champion's opportunity to open up at home

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

For some reason I’m still thinking about the fact that Tampa mustered nine points against the worst team in the league and dropped 32 on (allegedly) one of the best.

Baker was hurt.  He had bruised ribs.

2 hours ago, Carey said:

Cleveland in the aftermath of getting Flacco has been worth it.  Finally Baltimore has been great more often than not.

While things have turned around for Houston it looks like, I do want to see the AFC North Champions win today.

I would normally root for the AFCN team, but I'm a Buckeye first.  However, the Texans are young,  I don't see them winning.

Flacco has said he'd consider coming back to Cleveland next year behind Deshaun.  We would love to have him.  He brought a tremendous amount of leadership and energy to the team and the city.   I've probably seem only 1 or 2 negative out of every 100 positive comments from fans.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 1

Dammit.  I had hope, albeit slim hope and realized it was incredibly unlikely, that Houston might somehow find the magic to defeat the wretched Ravens.  Alas.

• Like 3

Baltimore will be one of 4 teams playing next week during Conference Championship Sunday. With that comes their long overdue date of hosting the AFC Title Game for the first time.

FWIW, the Ravens will have extra rest against their remaining opponents, whether it's Buffalo, Kansas City, or the new NFC Champion.  Those that last one will be only about a 4-hour advantage

• Like 1

Extremely proud and happy for the Ravens!  If the Texans had been playing any other team, I would have been rooting for them.  They have a good, young QB who should take them far in the future.  Good season, Texans, and, as always, Go Ravens!

And just in case there is an upset tonight (but I don't expect it... If any upset, I would have thought the Texans), the higher seed has won every game so far ...  Except the Cowboys.  

50 minutes ago, Carey said:

Baltimore will be one of 4 teams playing next week during Conference Championship Sunday. With that comes their long overdue date of hosting the AFC Title Game for the first time.

FWIW, the Ravens will have extra rest against their remaining opponents, whether it's Buffalo, Kansas City, or the new NFC Champion.  Those that last one will be only about a 4-hour advantage

Playing the NFC champion?  You mean the Superbowl?  Don't know which game is earlier next week, but even so, the 2 weeks between will nullify any 4 hour advantage.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Halftime 9ers GB:  why do they make those guys stand up?  They can't stand still.  Maybe they need a choreographer.  They can do a Rockettes routine.

And as I type this, they actually are dancing.  😆

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Johannah said:

Playing the NFC champion?  You mean the Superbowl?  Don't know which game is earlier next week, but even so, the 2 weeks between will nullify any 4 hour advantage.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

The 4 hour thing was a total joke.  There's no advantage between the conference winners 2 weeks before the Super Bowl.  And the AFC Title game precedes the NFC Title game.  The conference rotate annually, and I believe the AFC always used to go first up until 1998.

FWIW, the team that played second has gone onto to win the Super Bowl more often than not.  Since 2004, only Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Denver, Kansas City, & Tampa Bay won the Big Game a couple weeks removed from their Conference Title victory in their game that was played first on that particular Sunday

Green Bay has been great. Of course I love San Francisco, but Green Bay made it a great game. Man, I've never been happier to be wrong ATS (picked the Niners to win, but Packers to cover)

The thing for me is that Purdy was trailing. Then he finally got that game winning drive. Brock is "THE"

• Like 2

I wanted the 49ers to win, so I'm happy, but so far I've seen nothing that says the Cravens aren't going to win it all.

Love threw an uncharacteristic mistake, but he had one heck of a second half season.  I'm just sick of GB always having great QBs.  

• Sad 1

Sports kills me.  It just hurts sometimes. 

As a Packers fan, everything in me should just be grateful they made it to the playoffs when they only had a 10% chance a few weeks ago. I should have had no expectations and everything they did once in should have been just gravy for a team whose only goal this season was to determine if Jordan Love is the QB of the future. 

But man, it would have been so much easier had the game played out like the Ravens and Texans did instead of another, super close game full of missed opportunities. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 6
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

it would have been so much easier had the game played out like the Ravens and Texans

I worry for ScriptWriter.  Wonder what the Strouds will blow up this week?

• LOL 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Carey said:

The thing for me is that Purdy was trailing. Then he finally got that game winning drive. Brock is "THE"

This was the perfect Brock Purdy game.  He wasn't particularly good for most of the game and had a couple of throws that should have been intercepted (the man sucks, he's overrated, etc.).  Cue his fans complaining about how great QBs have had meh games in the playoffs before and people didn't jump all over them.  Plus it's not like they were playing in a dome, all of that rain clearly had an impact.

Then he pulls off a fantastic game winning drive and all of a sudden he's Joe Montana 2.0.  Cue his haters talking about how pulling off one great drive against the seven seed doesn't mean he needs to start working on his HOF speech just yet.

7 hours ago, roamyn said:

Love threw an uncharacteristic mistake, but he had one heck of a second half season.  I'm just sick of GB always having great QBs. 

Oh, I don't know, that looked like something Brett Favre would have done (he's a gunslinger!).  Gotta follow in the footsteps of your predecessors.  If he keeps it up there are going to be a lot of above average but ultimately disappointing seasons to come.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 2

Some of Purdy’s throws were still off that final drive but he’s lucky to have such good WRs to throw to. They were lucky to get out of this game. I thought Love would crumble but impressed with how he hung in there despite the interceptions.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Weren't you right? The Packers covered. Wish they could have won, though. I hate the Niners.

Nope.  I had both Baltimore & San Francisco covering.  I did consider Green Bay (with the Niners still winning), but the whole world (people that hate Dallas) loved the Cowboys fall that the emotion led to thinking that Green Bay would do the same against the 49ers.  They were rolling.  To their credit, they were nearly correct, but San Fran = winner of big games.  For example, if they win next week, Purdy will have won a game that Romo and Prescott never participated in, and if he wins a game played on February 11th, he'll have more combined postseason wins than Tony & Dak.

By the way, one reason I wanted to see the Packers escape is how I'd laugh at the fact that AR12 never beat the Niners in a playoff game, but Love and Favre have

• Like 2

Finally a game I'm invested in -- I want the Lions to win.  Yesterday's games were both battles between teams I either don't care about or dislike but not enough to truly root for the team I don't care about (which is how I feel about today's afternoon game, too).

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

The only team I don't want to win the SB is the Chiefs.   

Me too. Except for Baltimore. I actually like SF.  Want Baker Mayfield to do well because he got screwed in Cleveland in favor of Watson.  Would love for Detroit to win after not winning so many games over the years.  And Buffalo has been so close the past few years.

• Like 3

Even though I'd be fine with Baltimore winning, I still would never put them in a category of "I'd rather see them winning before Kansas City."  Same with San Francisco.  I doubt I'd jump for joy if KC won, but at least they would be the most recent team to go back-to-back.  Though it should've happened by now, I can't prevent someone from operating as if they don't have an unstoppable running back

51 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

It's always nice to see a long-suffering fanbase get rewarded.

So true!!  Although I'm a Buc's fan, I will be cheering for the Lions.

I'm really proud of the Bucs and how much they improved over the season.  They have some work to do in order to be firing on all cylinders more consistently, but from where they were at the beginning of the season, they are much improved.  I'm not sure what's going on with Evans continually dropping passes though.  😜

Realistically, the Chiefs & Ravens (if we had to play one of them) probably would've killed us, so to go out competitively is something I can live with!  Good luck to the Lions & congrats to their fans.   

• Like 9