Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

As a Packers fan….I know it’s wrong, but I am totally rooting for Detroit, lol!  

Fellow Packers fan here  -  I've never had an issue with the Lions except for the years they employed that POS Ndamukong Suh.  It's fun to watch a loyal fanbase finally seeing some success.  

Now if it was the Vikings or Bears you were rooting for, I'd suggest extensive therapy to determine just when your life went so wrong 🤣 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I've never had an issue with the Lions except for the years they employed that POS Ndamukong Suh

Well, eventually he made the rounds of about a quarter of the league.  Never understood why someone with that much talent felt the need to play so dirty. 

But I've heard he might end up with a network job.

14 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Well, eventually he made the rounds of about a quarter of the league.  Never understood why someone with that much talent felt the need to play so dirty. 

But I've heard he might end up with a network job.

And I despised him in whatever uniform he wore and rooted against whatever team he was with.   There's not many players I've ever felt that about; usually it's those whose personal behavior I find appalling (domestic violence, child abuse, etc.), not on the field conduct.  

6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So am I. I've just stopped watching. 

Same. Poor Lions fans. This has to be the fastest I’ve seen someone give up a 17 point lead. In the most Lions way possible.

• Sad 1
Just now, twoods said:

Whoever called it that Dan Campbell was going to screw things up and overthink it wins for today. Can’t you just try for some points?

I was yelling so loud to kick the FG, you'd think he could have heard me all the way up in Santa Clara, but he wouldn't have listened anyway. 

• Like 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, twoods said:

Whoever called it that Dan Campbell was going to screw things up and overthink it wins for today. Can’t you just try for some points?

Kiiiiiiiick the FIELD GOAL.  Game would have looked a lot different.  Also, catch the damn ball Lions.  Also also didn’t we just HAVE this Super Bowl in 2020?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, twoods said:

All the things he was loved for in the regular season he will now be criticized for.  In games you must win always take the points.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Kiiiiiiiick the FIELD GOAL.  Game would have looked a lot different.  Also, catch the damn ball Lions.  Also also didn’t we just HAVE this Super Bowl in 2020?

Sure did.  That's the correct argument as to why this would've been worse than Ravens/Niners.  Maybe San Francisco will get payback this time, but nobody is going to care

The Lions also should have gone for the FG when it was 24-10.  Always go for the points in the playoffs, especially on the road.  Apparently the Lions didn't learn anything from the Packers last week.  

I thought it would be Goff who goffed things up, but instead it was Campbell.  

• Sad 1
  • Applause 2
Just now, Carey said:

Sure did.  That's the correct argument as to why this would've been worse than Ravens/Niners.  Maybe San Francisco will get payback this time, but nobody is going to care

I'll still make nachos, but they will be for Puppy Bowl. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

Maybe San Francisco will get payback this time, but nobody is going to care

I do.

I want Brock to prove his detractors wrong, and McCaffrey to win a ring. 

Lions winning would've been nice too.  Any NFC team over the Chiefs.

• Like 3

We'll see if Detroit returns to who they are when Ben Johnson departs for Washington.  Especially with Green Bay possibly getting back to winning again.

If it hadn't been for TS, SB 58 may have been the worst game in quite awhile

4 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I do.

I want Brock to prove his detractors wrong, and McCaffrey to win a ring. 

Lions winning would've been nice too.  Any NFC team over the Chiefs.

I do think the Niners can beat the Chiefs. At least that is what I'm counting on.

• Like 2
(edited)

We'll see.  It doesn't seem like Mahomes lets other people win.

On a related note, I think Nick Wright's comparison earlier in the week was the first time I've heard it.

To clarify, he asked if Tom Brady was the sport & this era's Bill Russell (to Patrick's Michael Jordan).  Worth thinking about, but even more, something to laugh at

Edited by Carey
I might have to forgo tying on a laptop keyboard in favor of the wireless keyboard I have going forward
(edited)

Nice comeback for the 49ers. Yay. 😒

For possibly the first time ever for me, I got a Root For Neither type Super Bowl. 2 weeks of even more Taylor Swift swooning (listening to Z100 & FOX 5 NY is going to downright unbearable), Kelce Brothers overstaying their welcome, even more Mahomes vs Brady GOAT crap, & the Chiefs being there again. Yay. 😒

Also, we will be hearing about 28-3 a whole lot (thanks for nothing Falcons 🤬), that rematch from 4 yrs ago, & Kyle Shanahan having possible redemption (AS IF! He's the only reason why I can't root for the 49ers).

Overall, the whole day flat out sucked for me. The Chiefs won, The 49ers made that comeback, & just as bad, the Pistons won their 6th game today.

On a related note, I think Nick Wright's comparison earlier in the week was the first time I've heard it.

To clarify, he asked if Tom Brady was the sport & this era's Bill Russell (to Patrick's Michael Jordan).  Worth thinking about, but even more, something to laugh at

EDIT: It'll be a cold day in hell before Patrick Mahomes will ever be in same category as Michael Jordan. We all know that Tom Brady (even with his 7 Super Bowl wins) will still have to kiss Bill Russell's feet. Frankly, it sucks that Nick Wright can't keep his mouth shut with this bullcrap & it'll be 2 more weeks of this garbage.

Edited by Magog

Well, that NFC game went about as painfully as it possibly could, and the one time I kind of, sort of wouldn't completely despise a Ravens win, they shit the bed.

We just had this Super Bowl four years ago, and no one asked for a redo.  I can't believe it, but I don't think I will watch.  I have hated the 49ers almost my entire life, and the thought of that walking bag of racist and homophobic dicks Nick Bosa getting a ring makes me want to explode.  And the Chiefs are...the goddamn Chiefs.  Neither outcome will please me, and I don't know what I did to deserve this.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The drops didn’t help. I thought that Goff would do his usual playoff interception nonsense he used to but he actually played pretty well (minus a few overthrows). The Lions can be good again next season if they learn from this heartbreak.

It would be nice for McCaffrey to get a ring, but if I have to stomach the Chiefs winning a third one…ugh. Maybe Kelce will finally retire and the AFC has a decent chance of someone else going next year.

• Like 1

I don't think I'll be rooting for San Francisco either.  While the same mood from 5 years ago holds here (another team to SIX and the first NFC team), I probably would be okay if another team up North had something less to brag about as it relates to another team around the Midwest.

Kansas City does have to win in order to join that great group featuring Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, and New England.  JMO; this will be the 4th attempt at a successful title defense since 2005

I would've liked to see the Lions make the Super Bowl, but I don't hate this outcome. I'm curious to see who wins a match-up of Niners and Chiefs. The Chiefs have the better QB, but the Niners have more weapons. Yes, they met in 2020, but the Niners are a very different team now. Ravens-Niners would have been boring, as we've already seen that match-up this year.

6 minutes ago, Carey said:

We'll see.  It doesn't seem like Mahomes lets over people win.

Mahomes is spectacular but not unbeatable. The Chiefs lost Super Bowl LV quite badly and didn't make Super Bowl LVI.

He's been dubbed the new Brady, and the Chiefs the new dynasty, and that's true enough. But that Brady/Belichick New England dynasty once went ten years between Super Bowl wins. It's just really hard to win Super Bowls because every round of the NFL playoffs plus the Super Bowl is just one game. And in the NFL, Any Given Sunday is the rule.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I would've liked to see the Lions make the Super Bowl, but I don't hate this outcome. I'm curious to see who wins a match-up of Niners and Chiefs. The Chiefs have the better QB, but the Niners have more weapons. Yes, they met in 2020, but the Niners are a very different team now. Ravens-Niners would have been boring, as we've already seen that match-up this year.

Couldn't agree more.  The correct team won, but apart from the love, the way it went was tough.  If it was a blowout from start to finish that would have been worse, but if it was something similar to the 2021 title game, that would have been okay.

Baltimore/San Francisco would have sucked for sure.  There's nothing the latter would've had that's different than was took place last month.  If they were down by 17 points, they would need an Allegiant Power Failure to have a chance.

6 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Mahomes is spectacular but not unbeatable. The Chiefs lost Super Bowl LV quite badly and didn't make Super Bowl LVI.

To be fair, Kansas City was missing their tackles, I think their Center was just not there, and Mahomes was ailing himself.  Didn't help that Tampa had the last open date.

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

He's been dubbed the new Brady, and the Chiefs the new dynasty, and that's true enough. But that Brady/Belichick New England dynasty once went ten years between Super Bowl wins. It's just really hard to win Super Bowls because every round of the NFL playoffs plus the Super Bowl is just one game. And in the NFL, Any Given Sunday is the rule.

Basically an instant Game 7.  I'll subscribe to 2 Patriots dynasties as the thing.  I don't think I'll totally agree about a 20 year dynasty when, like you said, they went a decade without winning the title.  Furthermore, they got their asses kicked several times by Baltimore.  Plus a one-and-done off of a bye against Rex Ryan.  That's a reason as to why I brought up the Mahomes comparison.  And no, he's no MJ, but he has won a playoff game every year as a starter.  Been in the leagues final 4 every year.  Just proved that he didn't need to be at Arrowhead to win in the postseason.  M&T Bank Stadium is a nightmare if you're a team on the road

6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

We just had this Super Bowl four years ago, and no one asked for a redo.

Me either! It'll be Super Bowl XVII (Miami/Washington), Super Bowl XX (Chicago/New England), Super Bowl XV (Oakland/Philly), or any other actually entertaining Super Bowl of the past for me-- not this one.

13 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Flowers fumbled going in for a touchdown. Karma maybe for that taunting penalty. 

Karma is a Swiftie.

Oh, Lions.

• Sad 1

So sorry, Lion's fans.  They played a hell of a first half. Unfortunately, they followed the Buc's recipe on how to lose a game.  😧 

We were rooting for you.  I will be surprised if SF can beat the Chiefs, but I hope they do.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Carey said:

Kansas City does have to win in order to join that great group featuring Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, and New England.  JMO; this will be the 4th attempt at a successful title defense since 2005

No love for the Giants?  They have the exact same Super Bowl record as the Packers and have won more recently than SF, Dallas, Pitt, and GB.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Raiders fans must be spitting mad that the first playoff game in their new house will be played by the Chiefs.

4-0 in that Stadium.  I might site that as a reason they could win one week from Sunday before something else.

1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

No love for the Giants?  They have the exact same Super Bowl record as the Packers and have won more recently than SF, Dallas, Pitt, and GB.

But possibly not for long.  Dallas & San Francisco have both won playoff games more recently than New York, with the latter winning its conference twice since the Giants did over a decade ago.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

A LOT more recently than Dallas and San Francisco 

Even though the 4-time former Super Bowl champions have won one playoff game (out of 2 appearances since 2012), I mean no disrespect to Big Blue.  For the record, I have been complimentary more often than not.  If I get to it, I'll post something from the past that I didn't get around to this past weekend.

I should have clarified in terms of the content of my post above.  Those 5 teams were the dynasties since 1960.  I think it's reasonable to Put Green Bay, Chicago, and the New York Football Giants as the tops of the National Football League.  In the aftermath of the end of time, the story of the NFL will be complete, and it's incomplete without the success of the Packers, Bears, and Giants.  Sure there are more teams now, and for some reason, the league is content with the structure.  They'd rather relocate teams than expand, something that's approaching a quarter century since it last took place.

The fact is, dominance took place within a decade or a decade period of time with the Packers of the 1960s, the Steelers of the 1970s,  the 49ers of the 1980s,  the Cowboys of the 1990s,  the Patriots of the 2000s, and I'd put New England in the 2010s too since Denver & Seattle had success but couldn't capitalize more often than not.  Also, all 5 of those teams had successful title defenses.  In addition, they were in the championship mix in other decades at the very least (Green Bay & Pittsburgh in the 1990s, Dallas in the 1970s, San Francisco in the 1990s, Pats in the 2010s)  New York never went back-to-back in the Super Bowl Era.  It's probably petty, but it's worth a toast to do so.  Miami & Denver got it done; not many talk about the Dolphins & Broncos as teams of the 70s and 90s.

As mentioned, no disrespect, but I'd probably put New York in a category with Denver, Washington, and Miami.  The thing is the Giants did win the Super Bowl every decade since the 1980s.  And one on all 4 of the TV networks too!  Plus, they're the only team in the league that's never lost a conference title game (thanks Kansas City).  To add to the statistic of the number of Lombardi's, they do have the best Super Bowl winning percentage with Green Bay (minimum 5 games), and finally, they still are part of the best game ever played & the best Super Bowl ever played

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Carey said:

Dallas & San Francisco have both won playoff games more recently than New York,

And the Giants have won a playoff game more recently than the Steelers despite being awful for most of the last seven years.

Stuff happens and the fortunes of teams can change quickly. As time passes, all that really matter is which ones are stacking their trophy room with Lombardi Trophies. Since the Giants won their first one in the 1986 season, only the Patriots with 6 have won as many as the Giants. If the Niners win (which, boo!) this year, they'll join the Giants with 4 in that stretch.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Carey said:

As mentioned, no disrespect, but I'd probably put New York in a category with Denver, Washington, and Miami.  

Oh no you will not.

I will not hear this slander.  New York has more playoff wins this century than all those teams combined (maybe, I don’t know how many Peyton won for the Broncos).  But still.  I’m not letting facts get in my way.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

A LOT more recently than Dallas and San Francisco 

IMG_3535.webp

I will always have a soft spot for the Giants because they beat Tom Brady and the Patriots in the SB.  Twice.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I will always have a soft spot for the Giants because they beat Tom Brady and the Patriots in the SB.  Twice.

I might as well make mention to what I was referring to earlier.  Despite sorta ruining things in 2008, I'll always admire Burress during his run in the 2000s.  It didn't work out for that other New York team, but the one that matters more is what counts.

In other words, I'll never forget how salty Tom Brady was when he thought he was being disrespected when the former NFL WR said that they score would end up being something around 20-17 or whatever.  The 7 time super bowl champion didn't think they were getting enough credit for their season & that they could score more than that.

Turns out it was a compliment.  I don't think Plaxico mentioned who would win or lose, but someone did score 17 points so he was either nice or complimentary.  That was one of the highlights during the coverage for the Super Bowl that year.  Sometimes it was worth it.

Furthermore, given how he fell short earlier in the decade before leaving the team that won the following year, it was well deserving

13 hours ago, twoods said:

if I have to stomach the Chiefs winning a third one…ugh. Maybe Kelce will finally retire and the AFC has a decent chance of someone else going next year.

There's the spirit!  

With Kelce either retiring or just as likely slowing down a bit at the age of 35, and the rest of the AFC west (in theory) making some better decisions of late, things should become a lot more challenging for the Chiefs the next few years.

• Harbaugh is a really good football coach, and he's inheriting a really good quarterback. I'm having a difficult time coming up with reasons to think that the Chargers won't be relevant now.
  • Sean Payton, also a really good coach, and it seems likely that the Broncos will also develop into a good team once he gets everything on his track.
  • And even the Raiders made what I think was a smart choice for head coach.

The way I see it, at least one of those teams in any given year in the near future could have a bunch of things go their way and finally dethrone the Kansas City division win streak.

It may be a couple years until we see the Chiefs back here again given the lack of weapons they have on offense, potential loss of Kelce, and general smart coaching choices for the rest of the AFC West.

• Useful 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

There's the spirit!  

With Kelce either retiring or just as likely slowing down a bit at the age of 35, and the rest of the AFC west (in theory) making some better decisions of late, things should become a lot more challenging for the Chiefs the next few years.

• Harbaugh is a really good football coach, and he's inheriting a really good quarterback. I'm having a difficult time coming up with reasons to think that the Chargers won't be relevant now.
  • Sean Payton, also a really good coach, and it seems likely that the Broncos will also develop into a good team once he gets everything on his track.
  • And even the Raiders made what I think was a smart choice for head coach.

The Chargers are still the Chargers & Jim Harbaugh is not going to change that. The Chargers will find a way to mess it up. Other than money, I don't see very much of a reason for any NFL Player to go play for such an inept wretched franchise like the Chargers. And they're also not very rootable & they'll still have no fan support.

As for the Broncos, I don't know their Cap status since Russell Wilson isn't there anymore. But, I don't see much of an improvement from them for next season. Besides, who's going to be their quarterback next season? And except for Broncos fans, who really wants to see Sean Payton succeed in Denver?

As ofr the Raiders, I don't think they're making the Playoffs next season. They're just as inept as the Chargers.

So in conclusion, the Chiefs (barring injuries & bad luck) should have no problem winning that AFC West in a cakewalk next season.

Edited by Magog
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

The way I see it, at least one of those teams in any given year in the near future could have a bunch of things go their way and finally dethrone the Kansas City division win streak.

Speaking of the division winning streak, the comical thing about it is that the Chiefs lead everyone else.  The mark is 16-15-15-15.

6 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It may be a couple years until we see the Chiefs back here again given the lack of weapons they have on offense, potential loss of Kelce, and general smart coaching choices for the rest of the AFC West.

I imagine they're more likely to be okay than not okay.  I think Andy Reid retiring would be a bigger loss than Travis.  Coaching matters, and then there's Brady.  When people like Brown, Moss, Light, even Welker moved on, he still found ways to win (Julian, Robert, and Danny).  When Kelce retires, someone else might rise to the occasion.  Maybe more than one.  Now Reid is a half dozen years longer than Bill, so maybe they can persevere for the rest of the decade.  By that time someone great might replace him.  Good enough to win amid a situation where Mahomes' ego could be a problem if it exists at that point.

I don't know if I'll put the AFC West above the AFC North in terms of top notch competition, but I would not be surprised at all if that division is competitive throughout the next year or two.  First of all, Kansas City doesn't need to win their division in order to win the conference (just as long as they don't have to travel to Paycor).  Harbaugh's arrival is definitely a game changer.  Doesn't mean it's over for everyone.  After all, the other 3 head coaches have Super Bowl rings.  So wins are not going to be complimentary.  Still I can see Los Angeles wrecking the Chiefs "pursuit" at being better than the Patriots from the first fifth of the century.  I guess I could call it one Michigan alum aiding another