Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

And yet they can't have the same rules regarding domestic violence?  Tells me a lot about the priorities of players.

I'm a Browns fan.  I have accepted Baker Mayfield as my QB for next year because who else is there?  But, the amount of supposed fans who want the team to trade for Deshaun Watson is mind boggling.  It's died down a bit, but they are still out there.  I just cannot wrap my head around wanting Deshaun as my QB ever.  I don't care how good his arm is or how good he evades the sack, or how many rushing yards he had back in 2020 with the allegations and lawsuits.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

The punishment for gambling is collectively bargained.  Comparing what Ridley did, even if we can all see just how minor of an infraction it was, to anything  else isn’t really apt.

It sucks, but the players association did it.  The league came down hard on Ridley because that’s what was agreed to.

I don't have a problem with Ridley's suspension. I have a problem with how the league handles discipline matter with players compared to owners. Players? Clear cut law with defined suspensions. Owners? A whole different matter.

I mean seriously, does anyone believe that Dan Snyder was not fully in control of the WFT during his "suspension"? This is a league that allowed Snyder to say he would investigate his organization twice. And then they realized how bad it looked and took over.

And then there is to Rooney rule. A lot of people have speculated that owners hire who they want to and then hold sham interviews with POC. And the Flores/Bellichick messages are evidence that is true. But my guess is that the league put a magnitude more of effort investigating Ridley than they have over potential violations of the Rooney Rule. 

And all of that doesn't even cover Flores' allegation  that ownership was offering him money to coach the team to lose games.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a Browns fan.  I have accepted Baker Mayfield as my QB for next year because who else is there?  But, the amount of supposed fans who want the team to trade for Deshaun Watson is mind boggling.  It's died down a bit, but they are still out there.  I just cannot wrap my head around wanting Deshaun as my QB ever.  I don't care how good his arm is or how good he evades the sack, or how many rushing yards he had back in 2020 with the allegations and lawsuits.  

As a Steeler fan I was disappointed with the sexual  assault allegations against Big Ben.  But he was already our QB so it was what it was.  But if they were to sign Watson I would be furious.  Even at the risk of Mason Rudolph  being our starting QB I would still say no to Watson. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

It sucks, but the players association did it.  The league came down hard on Ridley because that’s what was agreed to.

And it, unlike domestic assault (even though that's worse, IMO) is about the integrity of hte game. Or so they claim.  But now they have to go after Ross to have that hold up.

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Russell Wilson to Denver is good for Denver.  I guess Seattle is in a rebuild…?

As a GB fan, I'm a little jealous of the haul--not that GB would have gotten as much with Rodgers starting to talk about retirement but still. 

GB has a good QB but it comes with everything else that comes with Rodgers these days.  Although his tweet was surprisingly straight forward--until we learn he's only getting 199 million and not 200 million and therefore he thinks it's "not true."

ESPN had some reporter man on talking about Russell Wilson and wow that guy was a real dick.

He said something like “get Drew Lock out of there.  I can never tell the difference between him and Daniel Jones, they both stink…” (it sounded worse, all that he said in that sound bite, but I couldn’t remember it all)

Ok first of all, that was a completely unnecessary sideswipe at Daniel Jones.  You worry about your own stinky team, buddy.

Second, I’ve never subscribed to the theory “oh you never played, you can’t criticize” because anyone can have an opinion about anything.  But that did not come off as constructive criticism, that was just some guy taking his forum to be an asshole for no reason.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

As a Steeler fan I was disappointed with the sexual  assault allegations against Big Ben.  But he was already our QB so it was what it was.  But if they were to sign Watson I would be furious.  Even at the risk of Mason Rudolph  being our starting QB I would still say no to Watson. 

The Rooney family is not going to risk trading for Watson.  Right now there is no guarantee that the league is not going to step in and suspend him.  The Rooneys are smart enough not to give up draft picks for a QB that may never take a snap making them have to start Mason I-have-a-very-punchable-face Rudolph the starter by default.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Rooney family is not going to risk trading for Watson.  Right now there is no guarantee that the league is not going to step in and suspend him.  The Rooneys are smart enough not to give up draft picks for a QB that may never take a snap making them have to start Mason I-have-a-very-punchable-face Rudolph the starter by default.

Also the Rooney's aren't going to want to deal with the allegations against Watson. They had to deal with that when Ben was accused.  And according to Mike Singletary they wanted to trade Ben after he was accused.  

• Love 3

Watching the end of the Syracuse ACC Tournament game and I see a scroll - “The Indianapolis Colts are trading Carson Wentz to the Washington Commanders.”

My first thought was “who the fuck are the Commanders?”

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Watching the end of the Syracuse ACC Tournament game and I see a scroll - “The Indianapolis Colts are trading Carson Wentz to the Washington Commanders.”

If there was a QB who was going to be traded to the XFL or something it’d be Wentz.  

Eagles fans are such dicks. They were the same to Agholor. I’m sure most of those dimwits are sports challenged assholes who can’t run half a block without shitting themselves. 

• Love 2
On 3/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

That's how I feel about Kirk Cousins. Who else is there? I'm also optimistic he can get the job done. He works hard, he comes to training camp on the first day and every day. No prima donna stuff from him. I just hope this new coaching team can get the best out of him more consistently.

There's been DeShaun Watson whispers here and I don't think he's be a replacement for the better. I'd rather see Kellen Mond developed more and play more preseason.

19 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

He works hard, he comes to training camp on the first day and every day. No prima donna stuff from him. I just hope this new coaching team can get the best out of him more consistently.

He puts in all that work and still makes major boneheaded plays every game.   That IS who he is.   No amount of coaching, clearly will change that.

Rumor has it the Colts are interested in Jimmy Garrapolo.    Because THAT would be an upgrade from Wentz?

People are going "oh this QB class in the draft isn't amazing so we gotta take what we can get in trade or free agency."   Like folks, THINK.   Even amazing QBs flame out.   Mediocre ones turn out great.   Don't sacrifice the future to get someone who is just EHH in a trade or overpay in free agency out of FOMO.   

Just a reminder that 10 years ago today WFT gave up first and second round picks in the 2012 draft and first rounders in 2013 and 2014 to move up for Robert Griffin III.  How did that work out?  If you are sacrificing the house to get one player, you are a bad GM.    

https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/evaluating-the-redskins-trade-for-robert-griffin-iii/?fbclid=IwAR0KJaMYl79zYr8vczQA1cf0M83PMtjWwTa_sZXAxuhnfUK7rYZDKJcp6Nc

• Love 1
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

Everytime I see this, I keep thinking that they're talking about an XFL team or even some team from that future short-live USFL

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Rumor has it the Colts are interested in Jimmy Garrapolo.    Because THAT would be an upgrade from Wentz?

Jimmy takes teams deep into the playoffs and his teammates like him, so yes. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Carey said:

Everytime I see this, I keep thinking that they're talking about an XFL team or even some team from that future short-live USFL

"Commanders" was such a bad choice. My problem is that it's too many syllables, especially when the city name in front of it is also three syllables.  And, AND, there's no way to shorten it like the 49ers can be called the Niners or the Patriots can be the Pats.

Eventually we'll get used to it, and hearing Washington Commanders will just sound normal, but it'll never sound good. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

People are going "oh this QB class in the draft isn't amazing so we gotta take what we can get in trade or free agency."   Like folks, THINK.   Even amazing QBs flame out.   Mediocre ones turn out great.   Don't sacrifice the future to get someone who is just EHH in a trade or overpay in free agency out of FOMO. 

My team the Steelers are in desperate need of a QB and as of right now we are not hearing anything about what they are going to do. Every time I see a big name QB being moved to another team  I think well that is another one we aren't going to get.  It's been 18 years since I've had to worry about who is going to be our starting QB.  What are the odds we draft another one who becomes our franchise QB who has a Hall of Fame Career and wins us two Super Bowls? I simply cannot imagine they are really considering letting Mason Rudolph be the starting QB.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

"Commanders" was such a bad choice. My problem is that it's too many syllables, especially when the city name in front of it is also three syllables.  And, AND, there's no way to shorten it like the 49ers can be called the Niners or the Patriots can be the Pats.

Eventually we'll get used to it, and hearing Washington Commanders will just sound normal, but it'll never sound good. 

So true.  Calling them the Commies is absolutely not going to work anymore.

• LOL 6
12 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

How did they decide on that? Did they do focus groups?  Poll fans?  Draw a name out of a hat?

They could get the domain name without having to pay anyone to the rights.

No seriously, Redtails was dropped when they found out it would cost to get the rights.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

They could get the domain name without having to pay anyone to the rights.

No seriously, Redtails was dropped when they found out it would cost to get the rights.

Are you intimating that Dan Snyder is CHEAP?  Why I never.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So true.  Calling them the Commies is absolutely not going to work anymore.

I might be okay with calling them the "Derrs".

46 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

My team the Steelers are in desperate need of a QB and as of right now we are not hearing anything about what they are going to do.

Based on where they're drafting this year, it's certainly possible they could take a swing at one of the QBs in the draft. There a couple guys who will likely be evaluated as "should be able to start in the NFL fairly quickly", but they won't be assumed to have the high ceiling of some of the QBs drafted in recent years. 

But evaluating college players and how they will do in the NFL is an inexact science at best.  It's every bit as possible that one or two of the QBs in this draft could go on to long successful careers as it is that every single one of them do not.  I do like the Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder as somebody to take a chance on in R2. He's got some things to work on, (like he had some serious accuracy issues in college) and probably needs some time to work with pro coaching, but he's got the size, smarts, and leadership you want from a QB.  

4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Jimmy takes teams deep into the playoffs and his teammates like him, so yes. 

I might alter that first half slightly to "excellent defenses take Jimmy deep into the playoffs," but I also believe my home the world would be a better place if he played shirtless.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I might alter that first half slightly to "excellent defenses take Jimmy deep into the playoffs," but I also believe my home the world would be a better place if he played shirtless.

The job description for an Indy QB would be about the same as for an SF QB during Jimmy's tenure. Hand off the ball to one of the league's best rushing attacks and try not to fuck up too much in the passing game. Wentz couldn't do this but Jimmy has when he's not injured, Hence Jimmy is an upgrade over Wentz even if slightly.  Defensive rankings between Colts and 49ers were pretty similar last year in terms of points scored and DVOA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It surprises me that no team apparently thinks Khalil Mack is a franchise player.

Two players (their names escape me) were cut yesterday after one signed a four year contract in 2019 and the other signed a five year deal in 2019.  And yet somehow the players come out as the bad guys whenever money is discussed?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, merylinkid said:

No, he'd be an upgrade from Brett Hundley.

As a colts fan I don't know who the colts plan on signing at qb or if talent wise they will be better.  

What I do know is

Wentz must have been really poor in the locker room for him to be cut after a decent season with no definite back up option. I was not a fan of him by the end of the season but he played ok this past year. 

The likelihood he goes to Washington, as dysfunctional an organization as exists in just about every way lately, and success is between nil and none. 

The trades hey made both this year and last weren't bad. 

They gave up a 3rd and a first for him. 

They got back, if he plays 70 percent of snaps this year, a 3rd and a 2nd. 

Basically moved a first round pick to a second for one year as a decent starter and it cost them nothing but part of one year salary fir 2022. Washington pays next year and Philly I think paid part of last year. Plus they made a minor move with this draft moving up from 47 to 42 this year, swapped second round picks. 

They took a chance saw it wouldn't work and moved on.  And now I will never have to watch him throw a stupid shivel pass again. Word is he just couldn't be taught, was dismissive of coaching smd improving.  That makes sense when you watch his game. He can make great throws and is talented but makes dumb decisions. 

44 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Deshshaun Watson won't face any criminal charges. Does that make him tradable now? 

I would think so

Best thing he could do is settle either the women and get back on the field. Whatever he pays them will likely be less than the revenue lost from not being on the field. 

• Love 1
On 3/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Wouldn’t that be Mason-I have-a-Helmet-Hitable-Face-Rudolph?

(sorry Myles)

And as a Browns fan, I still have faith in Baker.  He had a bad year due to his shoulder injury.  If you don’t think the opposite side injury doesn’t affect his throwing, you don’t know body movement.  All season I couldn’t figure why Kevin didn’t bench him for Case.  He’s a better than average back up.  He’s certainly better than Mason Rudolph.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Deshaun Watson won't face any criminal charges. Does that make him tradable now? 

It depends.  I read that the NFL investigation can now start because it won't interfere with the legal case.  Just because there are no criminal charges doesn't mean the NFL can't levy a heavy penalty/suspension against him. The length of that suspension could deter some teams from trading for a player who might not be available for quite a while. If he's suspended for a season, like I'd seen thrown around, the compensation will be less and there will be fewer teams interested than if the suspension is like 4 games.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Interesting. I didn't know the NFL would launch a separate investigation. I figured they'd leave that to the police and go with their decision. 

That certainly puts a new spin on things.

The prosecutors think he's guilty.  They brought the case to a grand jury but got "no bills" which means they didn't think there was enough evidence to bring the case to court. It's not a "not guilty"; it's a "not enough evidence to even attempt to prove it" and so it doesn't go in front of jury. The NFL's bar for punishment is much lower than that of a court of law.

As I've seen brought up in some places, Ben Roethlisberger and Ezekiel Elliot both got suspended 6 games with one accusation. Deshaun had 22 accusations.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

Wouldn’t that be Mason-I have-a-Helmet-Hitable-Face-Rudolph?

(sorry Myles)

And as a Browns fan, I still have faith in Baker.  He had a bad year due to his shoulder injury.  If you don’t think the opposite side injury doesn’t affect his throwing, you don’t know body movement.  All season I couldn’t figure why Kevin didn’t bench him for Case.  He’s a better than average back up.  He’s certainly better than Mason Rudolph.

As not a Browns fan, I am still perplexed at how the narrative of “Baker sucks and is a bust” ran rampant last season.  He was INJURED.  Every time he threw the ball it probably felt like his arm was going to snap in two.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

As not a Browns fan, I am still perplexed at how the narrative of “Baker sucks and is a bust” ran rampant last season.  He was INJURED.  Every time he threw the ball it probably felt like his arm was going to snap in two.

There has been a contingent of Browns fans who have never liked Baker.  Apparently,  he's too short even though multiple other QBs around the same height as him, he throws too many interceptions, and the dropped passes are always Baker's fault never the receivers.  These fans wanted the Browns to trade Baker last year after the playoff win.  Throw in his injuries, and they want him gone.  

1 hour ago, ketchuplover said:

Packers are raising tix prices

Of course. $200 million for Rodgers. 

20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The prosecutors think he's guilty.  They brought the case to a grand jury but got "no bills" which means they didn't think there was enough evidence to bring the case to court. It's not a "not guilty"; it's a "not enough evidence to even attempt to prove it" and so it doesn't go in front of jury. The NFL's bar for punishment is much lower than that of a court of law.

As I've seen brought up in some places, Ben Roethlisberger and Ezekiel Elliot both got suspended 6 games with one accusation. Deshaun had 22 accusations.

I bet he gets at least a year from the league, not sure if they'll count last year.  

• Love 1