Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I get that it's a huge media market, but I think it's just going to be a little silly if there's a televised LA Rams game and the stadium is half full.

I think the Rams will do fine. The LA Chargers? Not so much.

The LA Chargers?

Perhaps not.

The Los Angeles Chargers of Southern California?

Gangbusters.

George R.R. Martin agrees.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/467484.html

George Martin should spend less time worrying about the LA Rams and more time focusing on the Winterfell Direwolves.

• Love 2

I guess out of the candidates still available

Which is part of the problem.   The coaches with teams still playing aren't available for hiring right now.    But for some reason teams rush out and hire the "best available" right now, instead of waiting another month.   Sure it's close to the combine, but anyone good enough to be a head coach already has his eye on the college players anyway and just needs to get up to speed on a team's specific needs (and he probably has some idea of those already).   It's just silly to rush hiring such an important person.  No other business does it.   Why football does I have no clue.

• Love 1

They're all worried on the off-chance that an available coach gets hired and goes 14-2, and everyone wonders why they weren't hired by their team when he was available. Anyone who is available now is middling at best and will of course tread water and go 8-8 and maybe 10-6 with a couple of breaks. 

The Eagles have just hired the Chiefs, OC Doug Pederson as their new head coach.

I wonder who TEN and Tampa Bay will end up hiring. I am a bit surprised that it seems like TEN doesn't seem to be conducting that many interviews for HC. I know they had some rough seasons, the past couple of years, but I would think there would be a lot of people interested in coaching Marcus Mariota  and helping turn that team around.

But it doesn't seem like TEN has really tried to interview a lot of candidates in their search for HC like the Browns and Miami did.  I am surprised that Chip didn't try and reach out to TEN before getting the job at San Fran. Also TEN's ex coach Ken Whisenhunt has been hired as the new OC for the Chargers.

Also, Miami let go of Dan Campbell who was their interim coach this year and he is now an assistant head coach/tight ends coach for the Saints.

***Another Head Coach has just been hired. Tampa Bay has just hired their OC Dirk Koetter as their new Head Coach.

Edited by Jx223

Chip Kelly to the 49ers? It's either going to go incredibly well or blow up like three weeks from now.

I'm predicting a dumpster fire of epic proportions. You've got a team coming off a humiliating season, a QB who succumbed to the Curse of the Big Contract and a new coach who's a control freak a**hole. This will be interesting to watch.

Brett Favre's backup QB that Aaron Rodgers succeeded when he joined the Packers is now head coach of the Eagles.

The QB coach that Aaron Rodgers relied on up until 2 years and 9 days ago is now head coach of the Giants.

Edited by nowandlater

Anyone who is available now is middling at best and will of course tread water and go 8-8 and maybe 10-6 with a couple of breaks.

Right now Cleveland would happily take that record!

• Love 1

I kind of figured the Bucs would go with their OC- that's why they fired Lovie so fast. They didn't want Koetter to be a head coach elsewhere, so they dropped Lovie. I wonder where he is headed- Tennessee maybe?

Kelly as HC of the Niners should be interesting. Maybe he will get Kaep out of his funk and shake up that offense.

This is the problem with blows to the head - ends up being a 2 yard penalty?  Why not engage in cheap play when there are no real consequences?  Perhaps the NFL should have some type of penalty like you have to sit out the next two defensive series if you are a defensive player, or offensive series if you are a offensive player.  There has to be more consequences for these guys engaging in these cheap hits.  They don't give a damn about a $25 or $50K fine. 

• Love 3

Andy Reid has notoriously terrible clock management. It's like his brain shuts off once you hit the 5-minute mark in the 4th. Smith and his receivers did him no favors though--the recievers were allergic to going out of bounds and Smith wasted tons of time huddling up.

• Love 3

In the Super Bowl, Belichick was so puzzled by the Eagles huddling and crawling down the field down two scores in the closing minutes that he had to confirm with am assistant that he wasn't crazy, his team was in fact winning.

For Andy Reid it's not a bug, it's a feature.

• Love 2

I know the Pats aren't a fave here, and I don't have a dog in the fight, but going down 21-6 against a veteran team is going to be really hard to overcome. KC just didn't play well enough.

There's a reason Andy Reid is no longer in Philly.   He's great for most of a game, but he refuses to acknowledge time is running out.   

The Pats play better.

Did not need to hear about Marchibroda's passing.   Really.   I'm almost going to numb over all these deaths.

I know the Pats aren't a fave here, and I don't have a dog in the fight, but going down 21-6 against a veteran team is going to be really hard to overcome. KC just didn't play well enough.

Agreed. Once Smith threw that interception, in the 3rd I think it was, I said game over. He needed to be perfect, especially given how the game was going, with the offense not doing much of anything. It makes me sick I have to suffer through another week of Tom Brady slurpfest and him being in the AFC championship game. Ugh.
  • Love 1

Yeah, neither the Cardinals nor the Packers are striking fear into anyone's heart tonight. Neither team seems to want it--it's like they're trading off on who can give the game away.

I like both teams (Larry Fitzgerald deserves to at least go to the Super Bowl once in his career) but no matter who wins, unless they play MILES better next week, they will get blown out by the Carolina/Seattle winner. I do think the Cards probably have a better chance against the other NFC team...IF they play to their capabilities.

Fitz went to the Superbowl in '08. They lost to the Steelers. I would like him to actually win one.

I dont know whats wrong with Palmer...nerves or that dislocated finger or both but he's damn lucky that red zone pass bounced right into the hands of his receiver. The play right before that was kind of lucky too.

Larry Fitzgerald deserves to at least go to the Super Bowl once in his career)

He went in 2008.   I double checked Wikipedia, but I remembered the big deal that was made out of his dad being an accredited journalist to the game.   Dad is a well known Minnesota (?) sports writer.    It was decided to relax the rule about no cheering in the press box just for him, if his son did well.   The son caught 2 TDs in that game.

Oh, my bad, I forgot the Cards went in '08. Statement rescinded then!

No dog in the fight, but wow, that SO should have been DPI. It's like, after calling a bazillion PI calls in the regular season, the officials have forgotten what it looks like. This IS an exciting end of the game, though.

If Arizona loses this game, it might set the team back ten years. Talk about just utterly shattering.

...did the officials seriously just fuck up the coin flip? jfc, literally, is there anything they haven't bungled at least once this season?

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

Holy. Shit.

Yes!  I don't loathe the Packers the same way I did with Favre under center, but Rodgers has annoyed me the last few seasons, and I like the Bears - and a close friend lives for them - so even though I haven't always rooted against Green Bay in recent years, I've never rooted for them.  And I love me some Carson Palmer, so I was really pulling for Arizona.

With that play sending it to to OT, I was nervous as hell.  But that OT drive?  Beautiful, Cardinals!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2