Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Thank you, football gods.  With the pass interference call, I was afraid it was curtains for Seattle (the only team in the playoffs I actively root for).  I was holding out a slim hope for a blocked kick, but I didn't see that miss coming.

• Love 1

I picked the Seahawks to win. But would have been happy to see the Vikings beat them. I don't like Pete Carrol and Wilson is turning into a sanctimoniius ass. I only picked them because I had to admit they were better than the Vikings. The weather almost helped the Vikings out.

At least we learned the Seahawks do not do well in the cold. And no matter the weather in Carolina next weekend, I have faith in the Panthers to handle them just fine.

• Love 1
I was rooting for Seattle the whole time but oh poor Blair Walsh.

I've always wondered about this. Walsh played well the rest of the game. It's not like he's a bad kicker. Yeah, he missed at an important moment, but is that worth giving up a player over? I mean, I understand if kickers are a dime a dozen, but are they?

WTF? Did Pete Carroll sell his soul to the devil too? How the fuck did that kicker miss....and soo badly.

I couldnt care less about Cincy or Minnesota, but these 2 losses hurt. I couldnt imagine being a fan of either team.

I dont hate or love Seattle, but I wanted Carroll to pay for that dumb call in the SB. Thats how much I loathe the Patriots.

Hoping Washington can win their game vs the Packers comfortably because I dont think I could take 3 late game shenanigans in a row.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

Kickers are a dime a dozen. That's why so many teams rip through them in a season. You have one job to do. At least with the punter, they have to punt, usually be the holder on field goals, and you want them to be able to run/throw 10 yards or so for the rare time you run a fake. 

I come on the side of, if you're deciding the game on the kicker, then you just didn't perform well. If you're offense doesn't score a TD, you really don't deserve to win. Even with the Wilson scramble/completion, the defense only gave up 10 points in a home playoff game. 

After seeing "Laces OUT Marino" 6700 times on Twitter I had to use the old Google-fu and I'm still not sure I get it.

Quote from Ace Ventura right? He still shouldn't have missed that badly on a chip shot.

Seattle and Packers winning in one day? Don't know if I can stomach that.

Kickers may be a dime a dozen but good kickers are rarer than hen's teeth. Why teams tear through them is they find out the guy they signed can't kick worth a damn. So they cut him and try to find one that is reliable beyond 20 yards. Rinse, repeat. I doubt Walsh will be cut over this. After all it is was AP's fumble that gave the Seahawks the go ahead score. That doesn't happen and Walsh is not out there kicking. As for AP's fumble, well, in that cold, if he could still feel his hands it was a miracle.

I think the Vikings played well and held off a good team for 3 quarters. The cold won the game.

• Love 3

Good kickers are rare, but professional kickers should be automatic under 30 yards. The Pats let Adam Vinatieri go and he literally won them superbowls. It's not like this was 40+ yards in the wind.

The offense was terrible and that's what really cost them the game. 

Yeah, I cannot stand anyone on that Seattle organisation. The players are preening, posing, egomaniacs and Pete Carroll is a blowhard who never met a short-cut he didn't take. He was crooked at USC, and quickly bailed when they were caught, leaving the programme in a horrible state. And he's been dodgy as hell in Seattle, with the ridiculous amount of his players testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

They get more blind, undeserved luck than any team not based in New England.

I feel the pain of the Vikings fans though. I remember the Ravens losing the 2011 AFC Championship game due to Billy Cundiff missing a last second FG, and it was horrible (exacerbated then by the fact that Lee Evans let a game-winning TD be stripped from his hands in the endzone).

• Love 4

I have felt kinda bad for Vikings fans for years. I remember rooting for them in the 70s with the Purple People Eaters, and the heartbreak of losing four straight Super Bowls. They caused me so much pain that after the 70s I refused to root for them ever again. Then they sucked me back in this year.........

Its not just that he missed a game winner. Its that he missed one from so close. The extra points are further away. You got one job...make the kicks.

I wouldnt decide right away, but I'd seriously be questioning whether I'd be willing to give him another chance in similar circumstances.

Edited by FuriousStyles

I just remember Bud Grant standing there looking so stoic when the Vikings lost--and me sitting at home wanting to gnaw my own foot off.  It was so heartbreaking, and today just brought back those memories.  Damn Seattle.

Couldn't agree more about Seattle.  Pete Carroll left USC one step ahead of the NCAA sheriff.  And as a Badgers fan, I liked Russell WIlson during his one year at Wisconsin, but I think he's a sanctimonious prig now.  My dislike of him began after the Fail Mary play, when he talked about how it was God's preference that Seattle won. 

The Vikes should blame AP. who fumbled again, or their offense as a whole, that couldn't score a TD, or maybe their defense which decided to take large portions of the 4th quarter off.  It just wasn't a special teams failure, but rather a whole team failure. 

• Love 2

So right now, I'd absolutely love to see a Chiefs vs Cardinals Super Bowl. With the Cards winning to give Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald a ring.

I don't mind the Packers or the Panthers, and if either of them made it I wouldn't be annoyed. The Chiefs are the only AFC team left that I don't dislike.

• Love 4

I was happy with Seattle winning, (even though I would have been okay with Minnesota winning as well). That was a pretty tough loss for Minnesota at the very end with the missed field goal. Though I don't think that they will let go of Blair Walsh.

The Washington/Packers game was the game I enjoyed watching the most this weekend. It was defintiely better than a lot of the ugliness that happened in the two games yesterday. I thought that Washington and Kirk started out playing well, but Green Bay ended up gelling together and playing like they did in the first half of this season. Even though Kirk ended up struggling in the second half, I think that overall he has played well this year and has shown a lot of growth as a quarterback. 

RGIII saying goodbye to the field staff at the end of the game was a bit sad. But hopefully he will end up in a better situation next year. I could see him going to Houston, Dallas or maybe Philly. I think his best shot is with one of the Texas teams. Maybe Houston who really needs a QB.

Edited by Jx223

The Bengals are hopeless. Every time you think they might just have laid to rest the soubriquet of Bungles, they go and prove you wrong.

And now we have to hear about how brave and strong and heroic and tough and inspirational Big Ben was, to go back out there and throw ducks a few yards down the field. As if he won't be the first guy to let us know just how much pain he was in when he performed his glorious feat. Ugh. I've seen guys play with broken bones and torn ligaments and not make one fraction of the fuss Roethlisberger makes after stubbing his toe.

Well, KC is it. The only team that can save us from the horror of Ben/Brady/Broncos in the Super Bowl.

Kraft and Belicheck made a deal with the devil. It's the only explanation.

And the devil is Roger Goodell. Then the deal was revoked over Deflategate.

Russell Wilson is very much getting the same type of breaks Brady has had for most of his career, save for a few instances.

AFter all is said and done through the whole season of ups and downs, which QBs are left in the final 8 : Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers plus the newer generation of Russell Willson and Cam Newton, the likely MVP. Plus Alex Smith and Carson Palmer. If you don't have at least a decent QB, you aren't making it far in the NFL playoffs.

Hoping for the Panthers now to win. Seattle did not look great, but who knows how much of a factor the weather was. It's not going to be -3 in Charlotte next week.

That Cincy-Pitt game, really lucky Bernard or Brown were not seriously injured. Both of those could have been career ending injuries, especially the hit on Brown. ANd they are both exactly the type of hit the NFL is tiring to prevent with the strict new rules. Then what happened after the first one of the two? No call, which would have reversed a fumble and changed the game. And thats really where the refs lost control of it all. Thats the main problem with the NFL's ref evaluation system. They spend their time going over ticky tack stuff and minutia but obvious missed calls like that, which change game outcomes, still happen and are what piss off fans the most. And this is an "all star" NFL crew. How do you miss that? A CLEAR lead with the helmet and a very dangerous hit to the head. Either of those hits could have seriously paralyzed those players, they were that bad.

Feel bad for the Vikings. Memories of 1998 and Gary Anderson all over again.

Oh and while I feel bad for the Vikings in general, I don't feel bad for Adrian Peterson. There was an SI article about him this week and his child abuse charges, he still denies he did anything wrong. Complete denial about it, literally states he doesn't care if social workers, fans, other parents, everyone tells him it was abuse, he says it wasn't. He was mad at Goodell for not "understanding what he (AP) was going through". Seriously, what HE was going through? You beat a 4 year old kid. And he states he doesn't view this season as redemption because ".....he doesn't thinks there's anything for him to redeem."

Then he got mad at Goodell for stating he showed "no meaningful remorse" about the case. Well what the hell do you expect his response to be when you take this attitude where you literally state you did nothing wrong. He feels like since he said all the right things by "apologizing" to everyone and stating he would change, that would be enough, even though he truly doesn't feel he should have been punished for his actions.

Just baffling.

• Love 11

I'm happy for the Seahawks, but I honestly don't think they stand a chance against the Panthers next week. Stranger things have happened, but they'll be facing a better quarterback, a better defense, and a running back that doesn't fumble as much as AP. But it should be a good game. 

Feel bad for the Vikings. Memories of 1998 and Gary Anderson all over again.

That game still breaks my heart. Randall Cunningham and the rest of the offense were on fire that year--the Vikings would have won the Super Bowl for sure. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

That Chiefs/Texans game was horrible, unless of course you're a Chiefs fan.  That's the only time a blowout is fun to watch, when your team is the one doing the decimating. 

*singing*: "Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof!"

I still have the crummy video of the last playoff win, also in Houston, featuring the only time Joe Montana ever did the Tomahawk chop (after the Marcus Allen TD that sealed the victory) -- it was hilarious.

And now: the playoff monkey is OFF. OUR. BACK.  I can't even.  I have a new hashtag for that game, but I am shy to post it here, in case there are Texan fans around, because I don't like to gloat (unless you're a Raider fan).

Add Chiefs fans to the chorus of Fandoms Decimated by the Kicker.  In Joe Queenan's True Believers (one of the greatest sports books ever written), he writes that you're hardly a real fan if you've never contemplated killing the kicker.  "Or at least, the holder."  It's still too soon to make a Lin Elliot joke in some parts of my hometown.

While I do feel that Minnesota is going to be reactionary, Bair Walsh doesn't play defense nor did he fumble. But that's the way of the NFL unfortunately.

I'm ok with any NFC team and have a 50/50 shot of misery in each AFC game.

I refuse to root for the Seahawks (again because of what happened last year...im STILL pissed). Ill root for Carolina or Arizona. On the AFC side ill root for the Chiefs or Broncos (I like big bro Peyton). I agree with the poster upthread Chiefs vs Cardinals seem like the most palatable SB matchup. But im sure one of my "villian" teams will get there. Just hope its not on both sides.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

Lovely with the Vikings head coach pretty much throwing the kicker under the bus. You wouldn't be on the scoreboard if it wasn't for him. At least AP put the blame on himself with the fumble.

Haven't seen those asshole Bengals players taking any blame for their loss.

• Love 4

As I said before, Seattle is the only team in the playoffs this year whom I actively root for, and the rest are all teams I either don't particularly care about or root against.  And since I am very nervous about Seattle's chances of getting past Carolina (one of the "don't care one way or the other" teams for me), I fear a Super Bowl in which I'm rooting against a team I hate or just hoping for an interesting match-up between two teams I have no emotional investment in.  And since I'm already suffering through that in the national championship (rooting against Alabama), I don't want it for the Super Bowl, too.

• Love 1

Because I'm one of the six or so people who still like Rex Ryan a lot, I'm rooting for Clemson only because his kid is on the team. Otherwise it would be Anyone But Bama for me.

The thing about KC/Houston is that Houston was completely hamstrung by having a terrible QB. Their defense is really good and kept KC in check.

• Love 1

Burfict suspended for 3 games.  Very curious to see what they fine the rest of them, especially the assistant coaches.  Maybe this game will set a record for fines.  Anyone know what's the previous record for one game?  Maybe they should start fining organizations that have repeat offenders.  Take some money out of the owners' pockets and maybe the cheap shots will ends.

I don't know why they don't eject players for those headhunting type of hits.  I remember 10 years or so ago when Donovan Darius of the Jaguars hit Robert Ferguson of the Packers in the head in such a vicious manner I feared for Ferguson's life.  Donovan Darius hit him with a forearm across the neck and head, knocking off Ferguson's helmet.  Ferguson temporarily lost feeling in his legs and was hospitalized  Darius was ejected from the game, as he should have been.  Not suspended, but got a huge fine for the time.  Something like $60 or $75K. 

When the Bengals & Steelers play next year, they probably should have double the number of officials they usually do.