Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Is that another fuck up by the refs in NY? ETA, Nope, I guess not.

As a Steelers fan, I really wish I wouldn't have advised Ryan Mallette to buy an alarm clock.

Edited by xaxat

Maybe now Carolina can focus on playing good football instead of staying undefeated. Atlanta gave them a chance by all those ridiculous penalties stopping the clock so Carolina got plenty of time to possibly tie the game.

I was laughing my ass off when Ben got intercepted at the one, then saw later the td was called back on an offsides penalty. I really can't have anything good! And reason why Red Zone channel is so confusing when you miss stuff like that and can't see replays.

The Pats guy agreed to kick, it was all on him. No takebacks!

I was rooting for the Jets anyways, but knowing I also had to root for the Ravens was unsettling. This was the only time I will ever do that.

Damn, ATL, you fuckers. I was so rooting for 19-0.

Oh my god ENOUGH (FOX) with the whining about the Patriots injuries. Some team had to play a QB named Stephen Morris so I don't want to hear it. Brady can throw to any schmo off the street so stuff it.

• Love 4

Congrats to the Jets.  Absolutely loved that the Patriots screwed up the coin toss and they did.

I don't want to here about Patriots injuries either.  They are still better off injury-wise than either the Bengals or the Broncos.

• Love 2

Hilarious in the Patriots vs Jets game. I was sure the Patriots would come back and win, like they always do, but Belicheck decided to go for OT, then his player ballsed up the coin toss, then his defense shit the bed and let the Jets march down the field. Bet Jets fans have been waiting a long time for that one.

Meanwhile, Big Ben and the Steelers fell apart in the face of Dean Pees' fearsome defense.... Something about that sentence doesn't make sense. Really, just a conservative and timid gameplan from the Steelers that failed to put anything together. They played not to lose, rather than to win.

But Marc Trestman's offense continues to look good and put up points, despite only retaining four starters from the first game of the season. And of them, one is the LG who is now LT, and one is the FB (the other two are Yanda and Wagner, at RG and RT). And Ryan 'What Time Is It?... No Seriously, What Time Is It?' Mallet is the fourth QB to start for the Ravens this year.

From what I heard of Belichick's postgame press conference, kicking off was his decision.  Whether the intent was for it to go down the way it did, or for the Pats players to choose the goal to defend instead, he didn't say.  I will say this for him: I've never heard him throw one of his players under the bus in public. 

OK, that was pretty funny. Cards lead 31-8 late in the third Green Bay gets the ball and Joe Buck declares "This game's not over!"

The next four plays for the Packers. . .

Sack (negated by penalty)

Incomplete pass

Sack

Sack fumble (returned for Cards' touchdown)

It's over now Joe.

• Love 3

Man....the Pats lose to the Jets and now the Packers are getting their asses handed to them by Arizona. Looked like Rodgers was about to get benched for a sec. If the Giants can just stay competitive tonight and not totally embarass themselves in primetime, ill be ok.

After the way he was treated here, I have a feeling that RGIII is looking forward to going back to Texas.  I just don't want him to go Dallas.  I wish him well.

I heard that Kirk Cousins' greedy brother wants to trademark "You like that?"  I don't know if Kirk himself is also involved, but my answer is "No.  I don't."  He's already going to get signed to a nice, fat contract, probably much more than the $600,000 per year he's making now, so there's no need for that nonsense.

ETA:  I just checked and Kirk's name is also on the application.  Supposedly some of the money is going to charity.  I guess it's not unusual for athletes to do that (I just read that RGIII had a lot of trademarks, for example) and I understand about making money while you can, and I understand striking while the iron is hot, but still.....     

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

"You like that?" How lame.

Pats injuries are really catching up to them. Not an excuse because I hate them, I am glad. I just think they are far from a lock to win in the playoffs.

I honestly have no idea which AFC team to trust in the playoffs.

Pats are severely hobbled by injuries

No idea if Dalton will be back for Cincy

Denver has a great D and mediocre QB no matter which one they choose, either a 40 year old that can hardly run and throw or basically a rookie with less than half a season experience

Houston's best option at QB right now is Brandon Weedon.

Pitt I thought was playing the best and now they may not make the playoffs

KC barely beat Cleveland and has not won a playoff game since the 1990s, is one of the worst playoff teams traditionally in history

Jets with Fitzpatrick at QB?

Just frustrating as a Colts fan to see your team self implode due to bad coaching and bad GM decisions in a year where the AFC is as wide open as ever.

Some of these trademarks are done in order to keep other people from profiting from them.

I agree merylinkid, but honestly, that "you like that?" could possibly be trademarked is insane to me....how is that anything other than the most generic rallying cry ever?  And how is that something that hasn't been said a thousand times before, even possibly on, as you mention, sexy panties or something!!!  And how is that that Cousins should profit from something likely said somewhere every single day?

ETA:  I can understand a trademark for "JohnnyFootball" or something novel that could be exploited by others.  This feels like Cousins wants to exploit others use of an otherwise innocuous phrase.  Maybe that's why the application will fail?

Edited by pennben

I agree merylinkid, but honestly, that "you like that?" could possibly be trademarked is insane to me....how is that anything other than the most generic rallying cry ever?  And how is that something that hasn't been said a thousand times before, even possibly on, as you mention, sexy panties or something!!!  And how is that that Cousins should profit from something likely said somewhere every single day?

ETA:  I can understand a trademark for "JohnnyFootball" or something novel that could be exploited by others.  This feels like Cousins wants to exploit others use of an otherwise innocuous phrase.  Maybe that's why the application will fail?

Yes, now that you mention it, I guess that's my main beef, that it's such a common phrase.  And in the context he's using it, it's lame as Dr. Spaceman pointed out.

I'd much rather see that phrase on a pair of panties or, if I'm looking at them, a pair of boxers or briefs.   

The Patriots tried to trademark "19-0"

Then they lost. First in the Trademark Office and then in the Super Bowl.

It's not snowing, but at least we got a cold weather game during the one season the Vikings are going to play outdoors.

Edited by xaxat

I have nothing to back this up other than I think I heard it on tv today, but I could swear some football show mentioned that the Patriots tried to extend their trademark application/appeal this year for "19-0", to capitalize on the Panther season. Or, perhaps I'm making this up?  Did anyone else catch something like that between the early/later afternoon games? 

The Don Shula tweet was at 2:30 in the afternoon well before the end of the game, he was supporting his son not trolling the Panthers loss.

My loud-ass heater was on so I couldn't quite hear everything he said but PLEASE tell me that Bob Costas didn't do a story where either it was his idea or Belichick said that OT rules need to be changed to make it more fair so each team gets a possession? Come the fuck on. Because your captain can't handle a coin-toss and your defense forgets how to play for six plays the rules need to be changed? Stop it.

Edited by mojoween

I went to college in Philly and attended several Sixers and Eagles games. The fans there are vicious. RGIII will get eaten alive. I agree he needs to go back to Texas where he's a college football God and the people love him. He's not tough enough to handle playing on the East Coast.

The Patriots played horribly today. The only highlights of the game were Gronk's catches. Regardless of the botched coin toss, they probably would have found a way to blow the game anyways.

Edited by BitterApple

I was actually surprised at how passive the Pats were to end the 4th quarter. All they needed was a field goal to win. They didnt have any timeouts (they wasted their last one when the Jets had possession..and were about to punt I think) but they still had about 30 seconds left. They didnt even attempt a throw.

My AFC team is ABTP (Anybody but the Patriots). I'll probably end up rooting for the Jets. God, first the Mets, now this. Smh. Though the Jets really are so much more likable with Rex gone. And I do like their core players, Fitz, Marshall and Decker. They all seem like such likable guys.

In the NFC, I really like Arizona. I would like to see Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald get rings.

• Love 1

Aaron Rodgers; that baaaaaaaad man, spent so much time lying down on the field that by the game's end he should have had on a monochromatic uniform. The past notwithstanding, I don't for a second believe that Belichick told his team captain to choose to kick off if they won the coin toss. I'm wondering which coaches and gms will be on the unemployment line by season's end. 

The Don Shula tweet was at 2:30 in the afternoon well before the end of the game, he was supporting his son not trolling the Panthers loss. 

Somebody must have pointed that out to the writer of that article, because the last two paragraphs have been altered to reflect the timeline of the tweet lol.

Edited by yourpointis

I think Slater was fully capable of fucking up the coin toss decision, however it did seem he thought they could decide which side of the field to kick from, which meant that was the call all along.

Say what you will about Belichick, he doesn't blame his players for losses.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

The Giants getting their asses handed to them on prime time never gets old! The Vikings look pretty good this season, but will probably be one and done in the playoffs. Hope they pull off the improbable and beat the Packers for the division title.

Speaking of Pack, loved the Cards demolishing them. That D looks dangerous. I was so mad that the sack was wiped off by a ridiculous roughing the passer penalty on Rodgers when no one touched him on the helmet, but then screamed when he got creamed, fumbled and then that glorious touchdown. He looked shell shocked.

• Love 1

The only redeeming quality to the SNF debacle is at least the Vikings are a playoff team.

My favorite conspiracy about the Pats is that they knew Pittsburgh was losing so they were trying to help the Jets win because they would rather keep the Steelers out of the playoffs.

I think Slater was fully capable of fucking up the coin toss decision, however it did seem he thought they could decide which side of the field to kick from, which meant that was the call all along.

Say what you will about Belichick, he doesn't blame his players for losses.

I'm not implying Belichick is blaming any player for his team's loss, I'm saying Belichick is taking the blame for the botched call. 

A few weeks ago the AFC had three strong playoff teams and now they are all banged up.  Who does that leave?  The Texans are on their fourth QB.  The Chiefs are on a hot streak and the Jets aren’t doing too bad.  Watch out for the wild cards.

NFC is looking stronger with the Panthers and Cardinals.  The Seahawks had a bad loss but I’d keep an eye out for them too.

Edited by benteen

At this point I'd say the two AFC wild card teams are the teams that are currently playing the best, no matter which are the two wild card teams. Of the four division winners, the Pats might get healthier (no guarantee) and Ostweiler might be enough with that defense to advance. 

If the Pats wanted to throw the game, they didn't have to go to overtime to do so.  Go for two instead of the game tying extra point.  Airmail a pass attempt, then do a halfhearted onside kick. That would have saved the remaining plays and injury risk. They did that in a previous Week 17 game which they wanted to lose for playoff matchup purposes. (2006?)

The Chiefs are on a hot streak and the Jets aren’t doing too bad.  Watch out for the wild cards.

At this point I'd say the two AFC wild card teams are the teams that are currently playing the best, no matter which are the two wild card teams. Of the four division winners, the Pats might get healthier (no guarantee) and Ostweiler might be enough with that defense to advance.

At this point, there's no guarantee that the Chiefs will be a wildcard team.  They could still win the division.  I read something -- I have no idea if it's accurate -- that said the Chiefs will win the AFC West if they beat the Raiders next week and the Broncos lose to the Bengals tonight or to the Chargers next week.

As much as the Patriots screwed-up the OT coin toss, the Steelers screwed-up even more.

For me, what stands out about the Dolphins 17-0 season is that they won most of their games with a back-up quarterback, albeit Earl Morrall.  It's difficult enough to imagine that a team could go undefeated, but these days it's impossible to imagine they could do it with a back-up QB.  But then it's hard to imagine a team these days having 2 1,000 yard rushers.

Bellicheck would NEVER let outsiders see any crack in his armour, so he would only rip the dude a new one in private. And I'm sure he did.

Jets fans, you may love Brandon now, but give him a year or two and you'll be so done with him (Bears fan).

• Love 3

I'm cracking up now because Stephen A. just ripped up Kirk Cousins for "you like that?"  

I'm a Redskins fan but the sorry truth is, we backed into the playoffs through the back door on one one leg, so it's kinda stupid for anyone to be throwing a lame phrase like that around.  I hope this doesn't happen, but I have visions of Cousins getting sacked and lying on the ground and the guy looking down on him saying "you like that?"   

Edited by Ohwell

To be fair, and I hate all the NFC East teams but one, but the Skins have won four in a row, right? And hopefully they beat the snot out of the Cowboys next week. And that WAS a huge comeback against Tampa. They are winning at the right time and not in fluky ways at this point. Stephen A. can stuff it.

• Love 2

What's Stephen A. whining about?

I'm not a Skins fan but they and Kirk Cousins earned this division title over the last month.

Wild Card team might not be right for the Chiefs, my bad.  I think the Chiefs and the Jets are the two hottest teams in the AFC right now and that's the most important thing going into the playoffs.