Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Odell I am sure will be suspended for a game and fined, as he should be. Mainly for the helmet to helmet hit where he launched at Norman

A bunch of the stuff though looked like back and forth fighting play to play between him and Norman.

I didn't realize Odell had done things before.

Surprised Tomlinson or Manning did not say something or pull him from the game.

I don't approve of what Beckham did.   However, if Pacman Jones can beat Amari Cooper's head into the ground earlier in the season and not be ejected, you really can't eject any player for lesser hitting.   The League didn't even suspend Jones, just fined him.   

I don't believe in resting players at the end of the season.   The only time the Colts did well and won a Super Bowl was when they didn't rest the players at the end of the season.   Sure you risk injury.   But that can happen in the first game of the playoffs too.   What you do risk by resting players is they get out of rhythm.   THey are not used to playing in game time conditions.   Now you would think, "well they are professionals and they should be able to turn it on."   But they just don't seem to do it.  It takes a bit to settle back in and get the timing of game speed back.

Oh, I totally get why you wouldn't rest players. From a fan perspective though it's heart attack inducing watching Cam get knocked down and struggle to get back up this close to perfection! I'm not even suggesting they rest him for an entire game-just let him sit out a quarter, hell even just a couple of plays. Play some of those second stringers for a few plays.

It's looking more and more like a one game suspension for OBJ and probable fines for Josh Norman, which I can't entirely disagree with however there have been several other players that should have received the same punishment for similar offenses and didn't so..... There is a huge problem with consistency within the league.

• Love 1

Resting a couple of plays is fine.   Especially if the game is in the bag.   Which it wasn't for the Panthers with the Giants trying to make a comeback.

By resting, I mean come in for a couple of plays just to keep the consecutive start streak going (looking at you Peyton), then sitting the rest of the game.

As retweeted by Profootballtalk, a lot of teams use bats for motivation, including the Raiders and the 2009 Saints.

On another note:

Remember Jay Feely, the kicker?

He's now a sideline reporter for CBS, and yesterday he covered the 49ers/Bengals game.

The 49ers recently demoted their president, who's responsibilities included being the organization's Leaker in Chief.

So the 49ers now have a new leaker.

On Sunday, Feely reported that the 49ers are likely to bring Jim Tomusula back, and he cited a specific guy by name, the leaker.

Apparently both the new 49ers leaker and Feely aren't adept at this whole leaking thing:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/12/21/note-to-future-49ers-tv-sideline-reporters-if-you-are-talking-to-this-man-you-are-not-supposed-to-quote-him-by-name/

Beckham needs to shut up. I gave him *some* credit for at least standing up and "answering" questions after the game (looking at you Lesean Mccoy) but saying he felt threatened by baseball bats which I hear the Panthers and some other teams trout out every pregame is weak. Really weak.

• Love 5

Yes, that baseball bat thing is done quite a bit.

My son's 10 year old team would use a bat as well. They'd give it to the "big hitter" each week and call it the hit stick, they'd get to keep it until the next week.

I am sure pro teams do it as well

I can't believe the bizarre end the half of the Saints-Lions game (I know it's a meaningless game between two teams who aren't going to the playoffs, but I still like watching the Saints play).  The Saints seemingly scored a touchdown 3 times, only to have the touchdown taken away. Once because the receiver's knee hit the ground when the ball was at the 1 yard line, and twice an actual touchdown was called back because of a penalty.

And what about the Lions calling a timeout when they knew they had no timeouts? Right at the snap of the ball? I think the Saints should have been awarded something. 1/2 the distance to the goal?

Thank goodness the Lions pulled off that win- I can't imagine them losing yet another game with a big lead.

Beckham's excuses are laughable. Just admit that you were a hot headed dumbass and let it go.

Chiefs are ridiculous. They started 1-5 and have won 8 in a row? After years of mediocrity their fans must be excited. Same with the Vikings, who are doing well this year and not getting much press.

• Love 2

I can't believe the bizarre end the half of the Saints-Lions game (I know it's a meaningless game between two teams who aren't going to the playoffs, but I still like watching the Saints play).  The Saints seemingly scored a touchdown 3 times, only to have the touchdown taken away. Once because the receiver's knee hit the ground when the ball was at the 1 yard line, and twice an actual touchdown was called back because of a penalty.

And what about the Lions calling a timeout when they knew they had no timeouts? Right at the snap of the ball? I think the Saints should have been awarded something. 1/2 the distance to the goal?

I wouldn't necessarily say they are meaningless games. Sure, neither team is going to the playoffs, but players are still playing to keep their jobs as well as the coaching staff from both teams. 

• Love 1

I wonder what effect, if any, Concussion is going to have on anything.

Maybe it's because I've been listening to Mike & Mike basically since they started, and just this morning Cris Carter said if he could go back to his seven year old self he would still sign up to play, but I don't think the diehards are going to turn away from the game. I mean, the two doctors don't even agree so who am I to say?

I don't think the movie with have much of an effect

I read the book it was based on some time ago. The movie really is offering nothing new, just a retelling of everything that has happened with the concussion drama. And it really is very important and compelling evidence about how players need to change the culture and change their approach to how seriously they take concussions. The NFL downplayed and ignored the problem for years in MANY ways. ANd this does not just fall on Goodell, it was going on long before he was involved. He really just inherited the problem, though as is the case with many of his decisions since taking over he certainly has not done much to help the situation.

I am a doctor, a neurologist specifically and I have a 10 years old son. He plays tackle football and he loves it. And I won't keep him from playing as long as he is healthy. The one thing I told him though is if he has a concussion or signs of it, he is not going back in the game. He did have a concussion once this year, went out of the game and he went home after the game and rested.

I could write a whole lot about this, but for my son, he gains a ton from playing, he enjoys it for many reasons and I still think its worth the risk. I know the risks well. Some parents may disagree, I wouldn't fault them much for that decision.

At the same time if there comes a point where he has to choose between sports (he also plays basketball, doesn't care much for baseball), this would play a role and I would probably advise of the safer sport between the two.

I don't think the movie specifically will change much, it just adds to the growing awareness of the dangers of the game that is accumulating over time.

• Love 3

Thank you Dr. Spaceman for giving us that information. There are benefits to playing football. It just has to be an informed decision on playing -- the good AND the bad.

Exactly. I think the issues are more for those that play through concussions, or don't get the rest they need. There are a lot of concussion protocols out there for high school football, and some will keep the kid out of football for that season with the third concussion regardless of clearance by the doctor. There are also concussion clinics that are run by child neurologists. I think it's great and keeps the kids safe. It's hard to clear kids when their parents are pressuring you to clear them so quickly, but I try to tell them that I would rather be cautious for one to two weeks instead of going back to soon and possibly cause permanent damage. I know the NFL is higher stakes, but the docs have to protect the players no matter how much pressure they are getting from the higher ups. What a thankless job!

• Love 2

I am a doctor, a neurologist specifically and I have a 10 years old son. He plays tackle football and he loves it. And I won't keep him from playing as long as he is healthy. The one thing I told him though is if he has a concussion or signs of it, he is not going back in the game. He did have a concussion once this year, went out of the game and he went home after the game and rested.

I could write a whole lot about this, but for my son, he gains a ton from playing, he enjoys it for many reasons and I still think its worth the risk. I know the risks well. Some parents may disagree, I wouldn't fault them much for that decision.

At the same time if there comes a point where he has to choose between sports (he also plays basketball, doesn't care much for baseball), this would play a role and I would probably advise of the safer sport between the two.

I don't think the movie specifically will change much, it just adds to the growing awareness of the dangers of the game that is accumulating over time.

So you really are Dr. Spaceman! How's Tracy Jordan doing these days? Is he still seeing the blue people? 

Seriously, thanks for your encouraging words. I'm an Internist, so I know the risks of football and concussions--not to mention spinal cord injuries, but I also know that every sport and most activities carry a risk for injury or death, including teenage driving. But I'm also reading more and more commentary from parents who say they would never let their children play tackle football, and even Kurt Warner and President Obama said they don't want their children to play tackle football (or wouldn't, if he had a boy, in the case of POTUS). 

My oldest turned 14 this fall, and I wouldn't let him play tackle till he was 13 because I'd read studies that the cervical spine isn't developed enough to handle the football equipment until around age 13. That might be a bunch of crap, but it made me feel better.

• Love 1

Well Odell's sexuality has been a big topic on twitter for months. So not only were the gay slurs thrown around (like im sure they're always thrown around) but after the game Cortland Finnegan said Odell has "female blood running through him" or something to that effect. And that was after the game, to reporters...so who knows what those guys are actually saying to Odell before and during games.

But regardless, Odell should have handled it better, because now, all he's done is give other defenders a blueprint on how to take him off his game. Whether he really is gay or not, he's got to develop a stronger mental makeup, because its not going to stop.

Anti gay remarks? What is this? 5th grade recess? You're a grown man who has a meltdown when people call you names? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Not to mention that we still have anti gay slurs in 2015. I would think most players probably know someone gay in their extended family.

Someone needs to just come down and kick the NFL's ass.

• Love 2

Anti gay remarks? What is this? 5th grade recess? You're a grown man who has a meltdown when people call you names? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Not to mention that we still have anti gay slurs in 2015. I would think most players probably know someone gay in their extended family.

Someone needs to just come down and kick the NFL's ass.

If players weren't thrown off their game by being insulted, then opponents wouldn't do it. It's one thing to say 'rise above it', it's another to actually be able to do that consistently. It's absolutely guaranteed that name calling is happening almost constantly after tackles, at the line of scrimmage etc. I'm sure there's more to it here, and there are various reasons why OBJ reacted like he did. Like someone smart said about Jeremy Clarkson punching that producer earlier in the year, an explosion of emotion is almost never only about one thing.

The reason why he reacted like he did is because he's a douchebag that needs to grow up. The NFL is supposed to be so "manly" and "strong" and everyone is so "tough". 

Yeah, if I knew a player would lose his mind if I made fun of him, I'd be running my mouth constantly. That doesn't mean the guy is stupid for flipping out. You know how you shut people up? Beat them on the field. Like, you don't like Cam Newton dancing after a TD. Well, if doesn't score a TD, then he's not dancing. 

I mean, really, it's a miracle the players can keep it together for a single snap what with all these distractions *all the time*. I'd be out of a job in 5 minutes if people being mean to me actually meant something.

• Love 5

Realistically, if I'm in the NFL and some variety of comment will get a guy on the line to jump and lose 5 yards, I'll use that every single time until he gets past it. That's probably why linemen tend to be laid-back, easygoing guys off the field.

• Love 2

I know I need the Eagles to win tonight for my Giants to still have a chance at the division, but I just cant root for them. I refuse. Amazing how Washington became the least dysfunctional team of the bunch given the mess they were dealing with to start the season (racist name drama, obnoxious defiant owner, RGIII stuff). I guess winning will do that.

• Love 1

Wow.  That "Oops, I took a knee" move was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while.  On the football field, anyway.

Between the two teams, I'm marginally more comfortable rooting for the Eagles ... although it still makes me twitch.  But I like Sam Bradford from his OU days, and at least the team name isn't a slur.

Edited by Bastet

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that when the season ends January 3rd I will be taking the Giants flag off my mailbox and replacing it with the next sports season's flag. The Eagles are terrrrrrrrible in the second half.

• Love 1

Shaky limb huh?

Cousins is looking really good. Aside from that brain fart at the end of the 1st half, he looks like he actually knows what he's doing out there. Mike Shanahan is somewhere patting himself on the back for this one. I dont like how Jay Gruden bashed RGIII, and just the general way he handled both qbs but its becoming clear he made the right choice. I would however like to see RGIII get a fresh start somewhere else.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 4

Shaky limb huh?

Cousins is looking really good. Aside from that brain fart at the end of the 1st half, he looks like he actually knows what he's doing out there. Mike Shanahan is somewhere patting himself on the back for this one. I dont like how Jay Gruden bashed RGIII, and just the general way he handled both qbs but its becoming clear he made the right choice. I would however like to see RGIII get a fresh start somewhere else.

I don't care for Jay Gruden, or the way that he bashed RGIII either. I dislike him more than some people dislike Chip Kelley. I hope that RGIII does get a fresh start somewhere else. There was a report not too long ago from Ian R. of NFL network that said that the Texans, Cowboys, and Philly could be interested in RGIII.

I could see him going to any of these teams, but I think that his best shot at starting again may be with the Texans. I think a healthy version of him is better than Brian Hoyer, or any QB on the Texans roster right now.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

For selfish reasons I hope RGIII goes to the Texans....anywhere OUT of the NFC east thank you. I still get shivers thinking about his rookie season where he tore the division to shreds. I thought that was going to be the end for us for the foreseeable future..a la Tom Brady and the AFC East. RGIII's reign of dominance never materialized but I would prefer not to tempt fate and just have him play somewhere else.

• Love 1

For selfish reasons I hope RGIII goes to the Texans....anywhere OUT of the NFC east thank you. I still get shivers thinking about his rookie season where he tore the division to shreds. I thought that was going to be the end for us for the foreseeable future..a la Tom Brady and the AFC East. RGIII's reign of dominance never materialized but I would prefer not to tempt fate and just have him play somewhere else.

I really do think his best chance of being a starter again would be with the Texans. I think he could beat out Hoyer and take over that team.  

I could see the Cowboys being interested in him as well and Jerry Jones does like him. I think he could be a solid backup for them for a bit, but I don't see him being Romo's successor.  I think that the Cowboys may end up eventually drafting Tony's successor or maybe they will go get Johnny Manziel.

I could see RGIII possibly going to Philly as well, and I think that could be a nice landing spot for him (and other mobile QB's.) but I think the best landing spot for him would be the Texans. It wouldn't surprise me if Colin Kaepernick is the QB that ends up going to the Eagles. I'm not sure if Sam Bradford will stick around on that team.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I'm neither a major fan nor major hater of RGIII, but I agree that what he needs more than anything else right now is a change of scenery. He definitely still has the potential to be a very good starting QB--the trick for him will be landing in the right situation, with the right coach. Working with Bill O'Brien in Houston might be really really good for him, but I also wonder if going back to Texas might not be so good on the whole--Texas natives tend to idolize college football greats, but it seems fair to say that the last thing RGIII needs is to feel comfortable professionally.

• Love 2

I was just thinking about it, and now not only did NBC flex in a game in which one of the stars got suspended after they made the decision, the game is also absolutely meaningless playoff-wise for one team and if Atlanta loses it's meaningless for the other team too.

Edited by mojoween

RGIII got screwed by Shanahan and it went downhill after that. Like I've said many many times, football is so so so so so mentally tough, but some players need help in developing that skill, and they aren't getting the resources they need to succeed in that area. You invest millions of dollars into a qb, then just throw him out there. He faces some adversity and has trouble dealing and you're all dumbfounded as what the problem is.

I don't actually think football is that mentally tough, but you say it enough and people believe it. I can buy that high draft picks have a ton of expectations dumped in them and some may have difficulty dealing. It's massively short sighted of teams to not recognize this. Why would you risk ruining such a big investment?

I hope he goes some where and succeeds.

Shanahan isn't even remotely as great of a coach as everyone thinks he is either.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1