Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Lace To The Finish

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I thought it was funny that she got back so quickly after bitching about how long NY emergency rooms take. Because Texas is pretty much Canada on the Rio Grande as far as access to medical care goes. 

• Love 1

Because Texas is pretty much Canada on the Rio Grande as far as access to medical care goes.

For once Julia I don't get what you're saying.  Cause when I think "health care"  and "Canada" I think "immediately available public health care to everyone" which I don't think it what you meant? Sorry for being slow on the uptake.

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion time: my preferred nomenclature for women's undergarments is panties. PANTIES! When I think "underpants", I think of large briefs, boxers, long johns, or pantaloons. Panties is the diminutive, which means smaller. The smaller versions of large underpants are panties.

I also prefer "boobs" or "tits", even the occasional "tatas" or "hooters" instead of the more clinical "breasts." I'm just not clenched so tight that I can't appreciate some good ol' nicknames.

Also...I hate boyshorts.

Unpopular opinion is unpopular.

• Love 10

I also prefer "boobs" or "tits", even the occasional "tatas" or "hooters" instead of the more clinical "breasts." I'm just not clenched so tight that I can't appreciate some good ol' nicknames.

"..first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes." 

That doesn't strike me as clinical at all :)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6

Unpopular opinion time: ... I'm just not clenched so tight that I can't appreciate some good ol' nicknames.

Having an unpopular opinion is fine. Insinuating something insulting about people who don't share it is not.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 8

"..first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes." 

That doesn't strike me as clinical at all :)

Quality of the context helps, but generally it evokes chicken breasts for me.

• Love 2

Quality of the context helps, but generally it evokes chicken breasts for me.

LOL (I disagree, but I hear you -- for me, "breast" serves better than all those words used to mock, deride and dismiss a woman's body -- tits, tatas, bazooms, bazongas, boobs, jugs, melons, dirty pillows, twin peaks, twin girls, hooters, honkers, headlights, Hall and Oatitties, cans, and -- most annoyingly of all, ye assholes who coined the phrase -- fun bags. "Breast" sounds positively magical compared to all that shite.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 9

For once Julia I don't get what you're saying.  Cause when I think "health care"  and "Canada" I think "immediately available public health care to everyone" which I don't think it what you meant? Sorry for being slow on the uptake.

No, that was it. Princess is minutes from an armload of world-class medical centers, and she's bitching about how long it's going to take to get her booboo taken care of because she's in New York. It was just a stupid thing to say. But, Lindsey.

being an Anglophile, I like knickers. And since I don't take words all that seriously, I usually go with knockers. So when it's time to buy undergarments my list reads knickers and knockers. But I'm weird like that. IDK why I can't stand the P word but it makes my skin crawl.

I think Lindsey was worried about going to the emergency room and sitting there for hours as is typical in a city emergency room from my experience. But she should know that being on a TV show would get her special treatment. I often wonder how much of the hemming and hawing these people do when something like that happens is them being told to act like this is real life and they will have to wait with the riff raff in a crowded emergency room so we think that the camera's aren't really there and these people are just going about their lives. IDK, but I still like Lindsey so am willing to give her some benefit of the production here. I thought she had just the right amount of "Oh shit, I won't have time to finish my garment" angst going on.

• Love 1

I don't get the derision of Lindsey for being upset that she was going to lose time by going to a doctor. Everyone complains about how little time the producers give them to make their outfits, and when someone is going to lose at least an hour or two (and possibly more) fans complain that the contestant is worried about that?

While a 3 hour trip to the ER might be considered pretty darn fast in normal circumstances, 3 hours is an eternity when you only have a day to make your outfit and you're going to be that much more stressed trying to do it, not even knowing how much time you might lose.

I'm surprised however that she had to go to the ER at all. Did Heidi have to go to a public ER when she stepped on a nail? Don't they have a relationship with a doctor with an office? That would be the best way to deal with these things. There was no way Lindsey would get to, from, and in&out of a regular NYC ER in 3 hours with only a minor injury under normal circumstances. So I can totally understand her worry about having to go.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

I don't get the derision of Lindsey for being upset that she was going to lose time by going to a doctor. Everyone complains about how little time the producers give them to make their outfits, and when someone is going to lose at least an hour or two (and possibly more) fans complain that the contestant is worried about that?

While a 3 hour trip to the ER might be considered pretty darn fast in normal circumstances, 3 hours is an eternity when you only have a day to make your outfit and you're going to be that much more stressed trying to do it, not even knowing how much time you might lose.

I'm surprised however that she had to go to the ER at all. Did Heidi have to go to a public ER when she stepped on a nail? Don't they have a relationship with a doctor with an office? That would be the best way to deal with these things. There was no way Lindsey would get to, from, and in&out of a regular NYC ER in 3 hours with only a minor injury under normal circumstances. So I can totally understand her worry about having to go.

When Heidi & Zac both stepped on the rusty nail, the way I understood the media reports (I linked 1 in the Media thread) was that they went to an actual ER. There was even a pic published of 1 or both in either an ambulance/EMS type truck or a hospital/ER type setting (it looked like there was some kind of medical equipment behind whomever was in the pic... which I think was at least Heidi).

No, that was it. Princess is minutes from an armload of world-class medical centers, and she's bitching about how long it's going to take to get her booboo taken care of because she's in New York. It was just a stupid thing to say. But, Lindsey.

I'd have the same reaction as Lindsey were I in that situation.

ER waiting times in NYC are notoriously long.  She's in the middle of a competition.

Since it only took her three hours, she probably went to a walk-in clinic not to Bellevue.

• Love 4

I'd have the same reaction as Lindsey were I in that situation.

ER waiting times in NYC are notoriously long.  She's in the middle of a competition.

Since it only took her three hours, she probably went to a walk-in clinic not to Bellevue.

Yeah, we have those too.

Count me in as a wearer of knickers! But there is a worse word than (shudder) "panties" - pantie-hose... The horror, the horror. The Swedish term is "sock trousers" which is really pretty funny, too. And I can't stand the English term "norks" for breasts - usscchhhh

[snip]I can totally understand her worry about having to go.

Yeah I don't get it either. I really don't think she made that big a deal of it at all, at least from what we were shown. And that kind of thing is painful, I think she made a pretty decent outfit considering.

• Love 2

Count me in as a wearer of knickers! But there is a worse word than (shudder) "panties" - pantie-hose... The horror, the horror. The Swedish term is "sock trousers" which is really pretty funny, too. And I can't stand the English term "norks" for breasts - usscchhhh

I am so going to start using "sock trousers". Much more fun to say. haha

• Love 1

See, I have a similar problem with the word "boobs" which makes me think of idiots.  Everyone has their preferences.  And their prejudices.

I know boob is a synonym for idiot.  I've never heard anyone refer to another person that way though.  "He's such a boob!".  I've never heard anyone say it.

I've actually read that 'boob' may come from an old English word booby or boobey that meant 'little girl' which I suppose could be considered the same as calling them 'the girls' which I've only ever seen on TV.

Asked women I take my break with today about pantie and they all use it and don't mind it (me too) though one of them did say she had a friend who hated it.

• Love 1

No, that was it. Princess is minutes from an armload of world-class medical centers, and she's bitching about how long it's going to take to get her booboo taken care of because she's in New York.

Okay, understood.  Although it is true that you can wait 12  hours plus here if it's not something like a gunshot wound.   I assume she might have gotten a cut in the line with the TV thing and all.

You don't hang around with the right people (or maybe I hang around the wrong ones). First I read it was in "The Unicorn in the Garden" by James Thurber. The wife keeps saying "You are a booby and I am going to have you put in a booby-hatch."  It never seemed to me to be a flattering term after that.  My chest is my chest, my breasts are my breasts, and I'll leave it at that.  I'm finished with this topic but feel free to proceed without me with my blessings.

Sorry, I meant "real" people.  And a booby is a bird.    

Yup, hijack over.

Blake's poor model looked like she had the droppiest boobs ever, all due to his poor construction. But Merline's model was a close second. I get what she was trying to do but her execution was really lacking so I was really surprised that she won. That top was SO unflattering on her poor model's boobs.

But in comparing the two, at least you could tell that Merline put thought into her design and spent time executing it. Blake's, on the other hand, showed how little he understands a woman's body. I totally agreed with Heidi when she asked how he spent a day and a night and that's all he came up with. It was also poorly made. I agreed with which ever judge said it looked like the pink straps were just stapled onto the back. I laughed when Nina complimented the color because once again we had no trip to Mood so the designers were just working with whatever colors they were given in the work room.

I'm glad that Zac basically told Blake that not knowing a woman's body and only designing for women who don't need bras severely limits his customer base. I LOATHED that Blake seemed to think it was adorable for him to be completely ignorant about a woman's body. I will not miss his smirky face or his "aren't I a cute little princess?" act.

Swapnil's bra would be a pain in the ass to put on and take off due to all the straps in the front. When I put on a regular (non-sports) bra, I put the hooks in the front and then rotate the bra 180 degrees so that the hooks are in the back and then pull the straps onto my shoulders. Because of the way he placed the straps in the front, you would have to pull his bra over your head and then reach behind to hook it shut, which is a pain in the ass. It's doable but I would hate having to do that.

I also thought that the straps acros the front weren't woven very well because they looked sloppy. It reminded me of those looms for kids to weave potholders. Sometimes when kids use those, they aren't concerned with making everything even so some of the weaving is tighter or looser.

The best part of Swapnil's entire outfit was the robe. I know he didn't have much competition considering the coverups that Blake and Jake sent down the runway (aka a piece of fabric), but his was actually designed and sewn and very pretty. I loved the way the fabric fell in the front.

Ashley's was the best design in the top three for me. It was different without being weird, hard to put on, or overly complicated. It would look good on different body types, it provided support for the boobs, and I think that a wide range of ages would like the bra. Although the judges liked the lace at the bottom of the bra, I hated it because I have had bras like that and if I bent over, the lace would either flip up or bunch up. But dear God, please tell Zac never to say, "Me likey," again.

Jake's bra was nice but boring. The problem is that it's something you can already buy. The cut out in the side/back of the bra was nothing new. He made a huge mistake repeating that element on the bottom though. He made a skinny model with minimal body fat look like a sausage bursting at the seams because of those terrible straps on the bottom.

Laurie's underwear was HORRIBLE. The cut of the bottom was reminiscent of a high cut 80s aerobics leotard. While I do understand the criticism of her styling due to the choice of shoe, at the same time, what kind of shoes actually go with wearing a bra and panties? One model was wearing black ankle booties which I don't think was any more appropriate.

I didn't like Lindsey's design (I really hated the coverup) but I liked the color. And at least her model didn't look like her boobs were bouncing everywhere on the runway or that she had muffintop squeezing the top of her hips which is more than some of the other designers could say. I really hated the high cut underwear. The waist was barely below her belly button. I'm not saying all underwear needs to be super low rise (I hate seeing underwear that has a 1" rise) but can we stop with the super high waisted stuff too? And seriously, what kind of pants could you wear with such high waisted underwear?

I'm glad that Candace cut back some of the bondage vibe of her desgin after Heidi visited the work room, but overall her look did nothing for me.

Joseph's was boring but wearable. What made his slightly better than Jake's was that his bottom was a tiny bit more flattering. The bottoms still weren't great but at least she didn't look like her hips were exploding out of them.

I hated that nude strip of fabric going horizontally across the front of Edmond's underwear. What the fuck was that?

I liked that Bella Thorne was very specific with her critiques. I'll take that any day over the celebrity guest judges who limit their critiques to "I would wear that!" or "I don't like it." Bella at least had actual reasons behind her opinions and she also noted some reasons why the construction didn't work on more than one design. And she did make sure to say at least one nice thing about each design (even Blake's).

While I'm glad that the designers got a few extra hours to work, having a sleepover on the runway was pointless. I guess if it saved them some time going back and forth to their building then fine, but since they weren't wearing the same clothes for the runway show I'm assuming they went back to the apartments in the morning to shower, change their clothes, etc.

For the record, I hate the word "panties." In my mind, it's the kind of word you would hear a child molester say on L&O: SVU (as in some creepy guy whispering, "Let me see your panties"). But I'm totally fine with "boobs."

Re: "vajayjay" - Shonda Rhimes didn't invent the word but she definitely popularized it. I swear that one season on Grey's Anatomy, it felt like they used it at least once per episode.

"Bralettes"?  Lol, I haven't heard of that--marketing is everything.

I remember bralettes from when I was a preteen. Those were soft nylon bras without any underwire. I had some that were white with lace trim.

But aren't many bathing suit tops just 2 triangles held together with straps? It isn't just AA gals who wear bikinis. Is the difference because the bikini fabric has stretch and strength?
All mine have cups.  I've seen some that don't, but yes, in my experience they're usually pretty heavy-duty nylon/lycra that hold the boobs in place.  Same concept applies to sports bras.  I guess there are some micro-string bikinis that are literally a piece of string with two triangles and no support, but I tend to think of those as the exclusive province of women with breast implants.  Implants, despite the best attempts of the best surgeons, just doesn't hang, move, and react in the same way as breast tissue.

Bathing suit material is very different from the material Merline used for her bra. It's like the difference between tissue paper for a gift bag and cardboard. It looked like the designers were given nylon and lace, both of which are very thin and flimsy. Bathing suit material is much thicker and is four way stretch which allows for both support and movement. I usually wear string bikini tops because I like that I can tie the straps exactly where I want them. I am a B cup (all natural) and I certainly wouldn't do, say, 100 jumping jacks in just a string bikini top but for going to the beach, I feel like I have enough support.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I missed the beginning of the show where their challenge was explained to them. Did they have to design a bra and thong (since that's what most of them made)? I'm surprised nobody designed a camisole with tap pants. Not all of us feel the need to be so exposed even for "sexy time".

They were specifically designing for Heidi's line. Heidi barely wears the equivalent coverage of cami/tap pants EVER so pandering to her lingerie preferences leaves little to the imagination

Edited by SeenYouWitKieffah

I thought the criticism of Jake's bra was interesting given that Heidi already has one pretty much exactly like it on her website. The only difference is a full band rather than the strapping. 

Liked Ashley's and Kelly's looks the best. Thought Merlin should have been close to the bottom this week, not the winner. Seems like they were looking for something they didn't already have to add to the collection and this filled the bill.

Okay, understood.  Although it is true that you can wait 12  hours plus here if it's not something like a gunshot wound.   I assume she might have gotten a cut in the line with the TV thing and all.

Only if there were no serious injuries in the ER ..... being on a television show might get you to the head of the line, however it is not going to give you carte blanche.

As others have pointed out, I suspect that Lindsey went to an urgent care center rather than an actual ER which would have greatly reduced her waiting time.

I didn't like Lindsey's design (I really hated the coverup) but I liked the color.

Agreed! I didn't think Lindsey's bra looked like it fit well on the model, it wasn't a flattering cut, but I did love that vibrant blue color. So much more preferable to me than hot pink.

So Oprah did not coin the word V-jay-jay?

No, she was a fan of Grey's Anatomy - she got it from watching that show. In fact, I remember she had the cast on her show for an episode and she talked with the showrunner about how funny she thought that term was. I will say, it was a funny moment on the GA show.

After looking for and finding Heidi's intimates sight to view the atrocious men's ware, I had to laugh at the main page. The set "designed" (and I use that term lightly) by Merline is featured twice on the home page....and in both, the model is practically clutching her arms to her side. I wonder which -- the tops or bottoms-- she is trying to hold up.

My theory from a page or two ago is that the model was trying not to move around too much so as not to end up with the condition that another poster and I described... bra slip. When I was growing up, if I did not have a bra with underwires or a good band my small breasts would not always prevent my bra from riding up onto - or worse over - my breasts if I lifted my arms up too quickly or far (and part of my locker was up above my head, so I often had to lift up to put my books away). This was not a fun thing to happen. It would either be very uncomfortable, or embarrassing (as my bra might end up bunched up on my chest with my breasts uncovered below). This is why  a common complaint of mine is that bra designs for small breast sizes are delicate and don't have - in my opinion - enough support.  When you lift your arms, the breasts go up and get smaller, therefore less downward weight on the cups and voomp up the band goes over the breast if it's a straight band with no underwire. I learned that the hard way enough times, so I know from experience. With usually thin bands at smaller sizes, a non-underwire bra tight enough to prevent this is often uncomfortable and digs into the skin.

Mine, too!  Only A cups would be able to wear that contraption Marline designed.  I still can't believe it won.  I thought Ashley's was the best and most wearable.

If I was still an A cup instead of my B sort of / almost C, I would definitely avoid that type of bra. Not even for bedroom wear. If I put my arms up for any reason, it would likely ride right up - which I'm thinking would either look silly rather than sexy, or would defeat the purpose of wearing it in the first place.

• Love 3

No lie, I would have taken a few guys into the bathroom and said "ok, these are lady bits... now go freaking design." Sigh.

I thought it was nice that Jake tried to make his model feel more comfortable.

What was with all those high pitched panties? Who wears pants high enough to cover those?

Ashley was the win for me. Merline's V was crooked everywhere! I loved Swapnil's panty but forget that bra. Wtf? Not wearable at all.

Editing to add. I would have put a bandaid on that sucker and gone later. 1 stitch? Really? Sigh. She just didn't know what to do.

Edited by hatchetgirl
  • Love 1

I checked out the winning design on Heidi's website and now anywhere I go on the internet, I've got her ads staring back at me.  I guess the algorithm dictating that hasn't noticed that about the only place I shop online for clothing is LL Bean...

I checked out the winning design on Heidi's website and now anywhere I go on the internet, I've got her ads staring back at me.  I guess the algorithm dictating that hasn't noticed that about the only place I shop online for clothing is LL Bean...

There is an "x" you can click within the ad that then gives you the choice of opting not to see that ad any more.  It gives you a selection of reasons to pick from, my most common is "not relevant."

Oh, that's okay.  It always entertains me to see how "my" computer thinks my ads should appear in Spanish after I download a chili recipe or tells me about retirement homes when I research old movies on IMDB.

• Love 2

Oh, that's okay.  It always entertains me to see how "my" computer thinks my ads should appear in Spanish after I download a chili recipe or tells me about retirement homes when I research old movies on IMDB.

And I'm beginning to wonder about the googling habits of some of the posters here.... lol

And, Heidi, I checked out Merline's win and thank you for not chasing me around the forum.