Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E22: Semi-Final Results 1

• Start Topic

I'm trying to figure out how Benton won the save! Glad they had to go to America's choice and that it was CL Band. Hey Heidi (and other judges), just because you don't like the results doesn't mean people don't vote. And when you have so many effing singers they will split the vote. You got 2/3 of them.

I for one am happy -though shocked- Siro A didn't make it. I'm over the muti-media dance acts. They're a dime a dozen on this show and in no way unique anymore. And no one can come close to Kenichi Ebina's cleverness. But they tend to do well on this show so I'm truly surprised.

I figured Drew was a lock, but am surprised both magic acts managed more votes than the singers. I guess I shouldn't be since a magician won last year.

• Love 6

I literally screamed when Taylor showed up. Love him.

I was hoping they'd reveal the humans behind Ira when they got eliminated. I mean I know all you have to do is Google it but I wanted to see them on the show!

I was not really a fan of Siro-A, but I'm stunned they didn't make it. And they didn't even rank high enough to be part of the Dunkin Save! Wow.

Benton Blount in the finals - WTF?!?!

• Love 4

Not surprised that Benton"Did you know I have 2 kids to support?!" Blount made it through(Damn Dunkin' Save). He is not even bar scene worthy in my opinion. I sincerely hope he doesn't win. I knew that the opera singing 12yr old wasn't going to make it as soon as I saw Oz was in the same group. I'm so glad that CL Band got through but I don't want them to win. Glad to see the magician made it through I like his tricks. I knew Drew was going to make it through so no surprise there. Siro-A not making it was not a big deal to me they were just o.k. I personally think though that only Oz and Drew have a chance against the talent that is coming up next week. 

• Love 2

I'm another one who isn't a huge fan of multimedia dancers who don't hit Kenichi Ebina levels of talent and cleverness. I didn't need Siro-A to go through. But when I saw them up against Drew I was stunned that he had and they hadn't.

And I was delighted to see Taylor... A comedian who, unlike some, is funny.

• Love 3

I hate that I think this, but I believe Siro-A was more a victim of xenophobia than anything else.

Whaaat? See: Kenichi Ebina, the Japanese winner only 2 years ago who had similar concepts but was head and shoulders above Siro A.

• Love 6

For me at least, Freelusion blows Siro-A out of the water for the multimedia dancing.  Freelusion is poetry in motion while Siro-A and their flashing lights are like a seizure waiting to happen.  My head hurts just thinking about sitting through 2 hours of it. 

I like Benton and I might pay to see him open for Florida Georgia Line or the like- but nothing about him says *Las Vegas show* to me.  Same for Drew, though I don't think he'll be opening for FGL anytime soon. 

• Love 2

I think Siro-A was caught in a bubble:  multimedia screen dancing is not quite mainstream enough to have a name (like "tap dancing" or "magic"), but not quite move enough that it's like nothing we've seen before--we saw it a lot this year.  They seemed (to me) to be really *good* at it, but we don't have clear standards like music.

I was wrong about some of who went forward, and my biggest regret there was Ira & Miriam; the singers have other venues to get noticed; puppet shows have a harder time.  Also I wanted to see a puppet-off in the finals (and so did the puppeteers, because that would mean they were IN the finals.)

I also liked that the judges left it up to America; I'd be open to seeing that every week (Dunkin' Snapple Save if you need to, but then let the higher of the other two acts go through.  It saves us hearing how hard it is for the judges--which it is, but that's why you let someone else do it.)

Although FGL might not be the act for him, I could see Drew Lynch being the opening act for someone; he could do 20 or 30 minutes instead of having to do a whole hour, and hone his craft in front of a big audience (and if the audience doesn't like him, he can take comfort in that they were there for someone else anyway.)

Edited by marketdoctor
  • Love 2

Siro-A losing is quite an injustice, but I actually guessed it would happen. It's not even the fact that people are getting bored of multimedia acts, more it's the "they will qualify anyways" effect. Whenever you checked blogs or forums, Siro-A was always "that certain one that will go through anyways" like it was a GIVEN they would make it and there were only 4 spots to fight for. The constant praise they've been getting from the judges pretty much confirmed them as front-runners. Which is why I'm guessing a lot of people simply chose to vote for the underdog (Derek, Drew, Benton) and skipped Siro-A because they thought they would get through anyways. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Benton somehow won it all. America seems to love mediocre raspy-voiced male singers. I was hoping Samantha made it since she is at least eye candy. I think she will be okay though and still have a good singing career. CraigLewis Band is the only singing act I like so I'm glad they made it.

I am very surprised Siro-A did not make it. I thought this performance was their weakest, but still way more entertaining than anything else on the show. Seeing them go head-to-head withh Freellusion in the finals would be a lot more interesting than seeing a bunch of lame singers going at it.

Drew Lynch could win this thing as well. I'm not a fan but he definitely has the sob story vote. They made such a big deal about a crappy magician winning the show for the first time (sorry Franco is really not that great) so this year they could be making a big stink about a stuttering comic winning it all. I watched Last Comic Standing afterwards and thought to myself wow, now THESE are real pro comedians. This is how it's done.

Is there another wild card next week? They should bring Siro-A back.

• Love 3

Same for Drew, though I don't think he'll be opening for FGL anytime soon.

I have to say, this made me snort coffee through my nose, just imagining this happening ...

Okay, so I missed the first elimination, which turned out to be Ira. Can anyone tell me who Ira was up against and what happened? Was it an audience vote or something? I became an Ira fan after Howard's dissing and X-ing during the live performance.

When I saw Drew up against Siro-A, I figured he was doomed, so was shocked when he won. He appeared shocked as well, and I do have to say that his comments about Siro-A being so great were humble and heart-felt. Made me take back my bad thoughts about his "I'll try not to be so funny" comment on Tuesday.

TOTALLY could not believe Benton won that vote thing, but tl613 probably has it correct: "America seems to love mediocre raspy-voiced male singers." Glad CraigLewis squeaked through, however, as they are the only singers I don't FF through.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I am usually pretty good at predicting who will go through, but Benton Blount certainly threw me for a loop.

He is ok, but I just don't see him on the same level as CL Band. I think if CL Band ever picks that perfect song, they will absolutely blow people away, whereas Blount, he is always going to sound like he is basically singing the same song.

And not to pile on the Blount hate, but come on man, some of us like myself are disabled and would love to work. You are a perfectly able bodied man, capable of doing more than just singing to support your family, DO IT! You can certainly fit a full time job in with your singing career until you "make it".

For MY tastes, this is shaping up to be a fairly average finals as far as talent goes. Just my tastes (everyone has their own), not trying to insult anyones favorites. :)

• Love 5

Benton Blount? What the hell? At least America's vote actually counted during the save.  

America does love a good old boy story about a poor kid who plays guitar and chases chickens.  I think his name was Kevin. He was terrible, but he won anyway. 

I'm not a fan of either Siro-A or Drew Lynch, but I was really surprised that Siro-A didn't rank anywhere with America.  I still say they can't dance.  

Right now, unless he really blows it next week, I think the winner will be the ventriloquist. If he and Oz both don't blow it, I think they will be the final two. 

• Love 4

I was bummed that Mountain Faith Band was eliminated. I hope this exposure gives them some footing. I was not wild about their last two song choices, but my guess is they were trying to steer clear from what they normally perform (classic bluegrass/gospel type stuff) to win a wider audience. I liked them.

My favorite from this group has to be Derek Hughes, but I think he's going to wind up being too safe and low-key to pull off a win of the whole thing. 

• Love 2

The only disappointment for me was Siro-A not even qualifying for the Dunkin' Save, while Benton Blount both did that and made it through. Who the hell is voting for this dude? He is easily the most forgettable of the acts still standing. And if he was really that hard-up for cash to support his family, he'd give up the singing thing and get a reliable job. Seriously. I worry for the future of this country if there are really people out there that buy into his bullshit.

• Love 6

I wasn't pulling for Siro-A to win, but they are more Vegas ready than most of the acts and got straight up robbed. Two of the five acts moved on due to their sob stories. Shaping up to be one of the worst finales for the show so far. I mean, even Ira outsung Benton repeatedly. This years Marty Brown (though he's not as bad as he was).

• Love 3

Wow, this show. Or rather, wow, America. Benton Blunt getting more votes than either Samantha Johnson (who looked gorgeous last night) or Craiglewis Band? Neither of those are totally my cup of tea musically, but they are head and shoulders over BB in terms of talent. Don't want to inject race into this, but it's hard for me to decipher this in any other way than America voting for the good ole Southern boy. And on top of that, the kid in the "I Love Dad" t-shirt was a master stroke of manipulation. As was the announcement that they have a second kid on the way. That probably clinched it. Because now it is America's mission to help him support his family. As a previous poster wrote, nothing is preventing him from getting a damn job. If the family decided it made sense for him to be a stay-at-home Dad, that's fine, but that's their choice. To then ask for sympathy on that basis is BS.

I was similarly surprised by Drew making it through. Clearly most people vote for who they think is nice guy, or has the most sympathetic back story. Maybe they should call the show "America's Got Sob Stories."

Derek Hughes was also probably helped by bringing his kids into his act. America loves families. I did not need to see him come out in his pajamas again. It's nothing I can point my finger on, but the guy strikes me as a major tool.

Yes, a Japanese man won a couple of years ago, but i think there's evidence that America's gotten more xenophobic since then.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

I mean, even Ira outsung Benton repeatedly.

I love this comment. Maybe because it's TRUE?

I did not need to see him come out in his pajamas again.

Yeah, this actually made me, sitting in my living room, feel uncomfortable.

• Love 3

Yes, a Japanese man won a couple of years ago, but i think there's evidence that America's gotten more xenophobic since then.

I'm not sure if there's evidence or if more of the crazies are just coming out of the woodwork. I'm not refuting that xenophobia is a big problem in the US (though it does seem to be aimed mostly at Latinos). But it is a bit of stretch to automatically go there over an average performance (at least the parts I could watch without getting motion sickness). I mean, Uzeyer is my boy and if he doesn't make it next week that's the last thing that will enter my mind. I'm about as socially liberal as it gets, but I'm just not comfortable when statements like that get thrown about with absolutely nothing to back them up.

• Love 3

Every year there is an act people expect to go all the way that gets eliminated before the finals and we all go WTF?! I guess Siro-A is this years WTF elimination, but there is still one more episode. We always chop it up to the "they are so good I don't need to vote for them" excuse but I guess we will never actually know what happened.

• Love 1

Wow, this show. Or rather, wow, America. Benton Blunt getting more votes than either Samantha Johnson (who looked gorgeous last night) or Craiglewis Band? Neither of those are totally my cup of tea musically, but they are head and shoulders over BB in terms of talent. Don't want to inject race into this, but it's hard for me to decipher this in any other way than America voting for the good ole Southern boy. And on top of that, the kid in the "I Love Dad" t-shirt was a master stroke of manipulation. As was the announcement that they have a second kid on the way. That probably clinched it. Because now it is America's mission to help him support his family. As a previous poster wrote, nothing is preventing him from getting a damn job. If the family decided it made sense for him to be a stay-at-home Dad, that's fine, but that's their choice. To then ask for sympathy on that basis is BS.

Mr Rat and I were both completely shocked that the Craiglewis band and Samatha Johnson were low scorers.  It just seemed impossible.  That the no-better-than -all-right (to quote Sondheim) singer would win out from the voting over BOTH of them - who the fuck is voting on this show?  

Also couldn't help but notice that when the stuttering comedian got through, he magically stuttered less than he ever had before when he talked to Nick.

Maybe they should call the show "America's Got Sob Stories."

At least nobody's pretending to be a war veteran this season.

• Love 3

I couldn't even remember Benton Blunt's name yesterday and just called him the sad sack country signer. WTF he got through? He's terrible. America's best sob story indeed. I was also surprised Arielle and Siro-A got eliminated. Much as I like the whole act, I knew Ira wasn't going to win but I hoped they would make it to the finals. I expect to see them during the finale for one last time at least. Oz was boring. Eh, most of them were boring.

Bring on Piff and Mr. Piffles!

• Love 3
Bring on Piff and Mr. Piffles!

Yeah, that guy cracks me up.  I guess because of his attitude.  He's not nervous about being eliminated, not hoping they like him.  He's there, he performs, he has a sandwich while they decide what to do with him.   

• Love 1

I mean, even Ira outsung Benton repeatedly.

And he's got a better haircut.

Nobody how many times the judges say this is the greatest year ever, I think everyone knows it's turned into a real dog. Shockingly, Benton Blount or Drew Lynch could actually win this thing, as it's clearly turned into a popularity contest. Is anyone else old enough to remember the show "Queen for a Day," where three women told their hard luck stories and the audience voted for which one got a prize. That's what AGT is turning into.

At least nobody's pretending to be a war veteran this season.

We just have to hope that Drew Lynch's stutter (and associated manic laugh) doesn't turn out to be a brilliant performance piece/hoax.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

We just have to hope that Drew Lynch's stutter (and associated manic laugh) doesn't turn out to be a brilliant performance piece/hoax.

This show has me so cynical about that sort of stuff that my first thought when Drew was first introduced was "I wonder if he really stutters or if it's all an act."  

Yeah, that guy cracks me up.  I guess because of his attitude.  He's not nervous about being eliminated, not hoping they like him.  He's there, he performs, he has a sandwich while they decide what to do with him.   

I love Piff's attitude too. He gives no f*cks and comes with snacks and a cute dog.  He's my kind of dragon.

• Love 3

I love Piff's attitude too. He gives no f*cks and comes with snacks and a cute dog.  He's my kind of dragon.

I laugh every time he deadpans "My name is Piff the Magic Dragon... I'm a magic dragon..." as if his name isn't self-explanatory.

• Love 6

I laugh every time he deadpans "My name is Piff the Magic Dragon... I'm a magic dragon..." as if his name isn't self-explanatory.

YES!   and the fact that he does it with a british accent makes it even better.  AND the costume, that makes him look like a big kid going trick-or-treating. 

• Love 4

Is anyone else old enough to remember the show "Queen for a Day," where three women told their hard luck stories and the audience voted for which one got a prize.

Ha ha, yes, and the prize was typically a WASHING MACHINE, because, you know, that's what every woman wants.

• Love 6

Glad to see I am not the only one who enjoys Piff. I can see how he might turn some people off, but I love him.

Out of all the contestants left, for MY tastes, he is the only satisfying winner...again, for ME. Not saying anyone else sucks. :)

He is the only one I would buy tickets to if I was in Vegas (will go back someday!).

• Love 2

He is the only one I would buy tickets to if I was in Vegas (will go back someday!).

That's where Piff lives, so you'll be able to see him regardless of the outcome of AGT!

And what every Queen has?

The washing machine would replace the scrub board and bucket of soapy water all housewives use to wash the hubby's clothes.

I like Piff too, saw him first on Penn and Teller's show. At least I'm certain he wouldn't be wiping away tears and giving a TH about how this show is "his dream" and "his whole life" and he needs the win "to support his unborn child." He'd probably have a pizza delivered for him to eat while the judges prattle on about whatever.

• Love 5

Indy said, "How in the world was Siro-A that far down in the results? They could have been no better than 7th. That's crazy."

===============

I think a lot of the surprises come from the way AGT arranges the voting.  For example, let's say that the votes hypothetically had Oz Pearlman as #1, Drew Lynch as #2 and Siro-A as #3. Putting Drew against Siro-A would knock out Siro-A, even though they were the 3rd best!  In fact, if Drew's votes put him as #1 and Siro-A was a very close #2, Siro-A would still be thrown out and replaced by acts at the bottom of the list.   I wonder why none of us complained that the voting puts two of the bottom three in the top 5.  That means that two acts in the top 5 are knocked out to make room for two of the three worst.  What's the logic in that?  So when we say that they could have been no better than 7th, you can see that they might have been second!  Two out of five is 40%, so the vote allows 40% of the winners to be those that the views felt were the least deserving!!

What's the logic of taking two acts who viewers put in the top 5 and throwing them out so that they can be replaced by acts at the very bottom of the list?  I didn't think about that until  today and wonder why we all haven't been screaming about that!  It's also clear that if the show carefully selects who goes against who, they can knock anyone they want out, except for the top vote getter, just by selecting who goes against who.  Keep in mind that all this is legal and does not imply any distortion of the votes count.

It's also clear that if the show carefully selects who goes against who, they can knock anyone they want out, except for the top vote getter, just by selecting who goes against who.

You've answered your own question! I'm positive TPTB already have a winner picked. This weekly voting is just lip service. Or vote service! to make their winner win.

• Love 1

Indy said, "How in the world was Siro-A that far down in the results? They could have been no better than 7th. That's crazy."

===============

I think a lot of the surprises come from the way AGT arranges the voting.  For example, let's say that the votes hypothetically had Oz Pearlman as #1, Drew Lynch as #2 and Siro-A as #3. Putting Drew against Siro-A would knock out Siro-A, even though they were the 3rd best!  In fact, if Drew's votes put him as #1 and Siro-A was a very close #2, Siro-A would still be thrown out and replaced by acts at the bottom of the list.   I wonder why none of us complained that the voting puts two of the bottom three in the top 5.  That means that two acts in the top 5 are knocked out to make room for two of the three worst.  What's the logic in that?  So when we say that they could have been no better than 7th, you can see that they might have been second!  Two out of five is 40%, so the vote allows 40% of the winners to be those that the views felt were the least deserving!!

What's the logic of taking two acts who viewers put in the top 5 and throwing them out so that they can be replaced by acts at the very bottom of the list?  I didn't think about that until  today and wonder why we all haven't been screaming about that!  It's also clear that if the show carefully selects who goes against who, they can knock anyone they want out, except for the top vote getter, just by selecting who goes against who.  Keep in mind that all this is legal and does not imply any distortion of the votes count.

You've answered your own question! I'm positive TPTB already have a winner picked. This weekly voting is just lip service. Or vote service! to make their winner win.

I've seen confusion regarding the voting system before, so I'll try to clear things up a bit. The whole "please step forward act x and act y" is just for show, they don't arrange 3 acts on stage and pick the one that got the most votes to go through, they simply pick somebody from the top 3 and pair them with someone who was in the bottom 5.

The "bottom 3/dunkin save" is also just the acts that came 4th, 5th and 6th, NOT actually the bottom 3, those get called on stage with acts that got to the top 3 in the voting. They don't disregard the actual voting results, the televoters top 3 ALWAYS make it, and the next 3 acts are in the dunkin save.

Same goes for the judges choice round, It's never been about "Ira vs Aiden Sinclaire, we are gonna choose IRA over you", the choices have been made LONG before that, when all the acts have been compared to one and another, they simply pair up 1 act that they sent through and 1 that they didn't to ANNOUNCE the results.

All of this is done for drama, nothing more, nothing less. But the choices/voting have always happened before all of this.

Edited by Frankenstein123
  • Love 9

Yes, I believe that is pretty much true of all these talent competition shows.  With a Vegas show at stake, they're not going to leave it up to viewers to decide the winner.  shows can do all sorts of editing and tricks to push along their chosen ones.  I don't vote on any of these shows, because I truly do not believe the voting means anything.  Is there a disclaimer like on other shows, that the producers can disregard votes for any reason? 

The voting disclaimer is kind of long and always goes by too fast for me to read it (and I'm too lazy to pause or rewind and pause) but I have seen that the votes are counted by a third party unaffiliated with NBCUniversal. Then I assume that the tally is delivered to the show.

I don't think any competition reality show where real people get to vote for the winner would want to risk rigging the votes. If it ever got out that they did that, people would be pissed and the producers could kiss the show goodbye.

• Love 1

Piff's been knocking around Las Vegas for a while, I hadn't really heard of him until the Vegas Nocturne debacle (look it up if you're interested, the lawsuits are still pending). He was supposed to be one of the best things in the show before it closed. And apparently he gives interviews in bathtubs, with donuts.

http://lasvegasweekly.com/news/2014/may/01/interview-issue-piff-magic-dragon/

Anyone else living in Vegas, or visiting during the show times, and want to go? The Tix4Tonite booths will probably have discount tickets.

• Love 1

Thanks, Frankenstein (hee hee!) for the voting info. Yeah, I'm positive viewer votes are counted and apply to the winner(s), yet TPTB can manipulate votes by putting acts first or last, giving them a terrible review or a glowing one, making one backstory more sob-enducing or making the act appear like it doesn't need the win ... whatever. Editing and product placement.

I don't vote either, just because I don't want to be actually "invested" in any act and thereby get all in a tiz when "my" act doesn't go through. Or I can be happy when "America" agrees with me and my act wins! I do like coming here to see what everyone else thinks though. This thread makes the show so much more fun for me.

• Love 2

I like Piff, and would like to see him win.  He has been around a long time and getting a lot of exposure here that will boost his career if he wins or not.  I would still like to see him take it.  

I, too, am tired of the multimedia dance groups.  Yawn. 

Drew is stressful to watch, for me, so an entire show would be difficult.  Nifty kid though.  I think he laughs at his own jokes to give himself time to recover for the next one.  He can laugh without stuttering and it must be a relief for him.  

I googled and could not find the picture of Ira and his mom, the real people.  If anyone has one please post.  I didn't like that act at all! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2