Type keyword(s) to search

Production Arts: Costumes, Soundtracks, Props, etc

• Start Topic

Was Belle wearing thigh-high knit stockings? Da fuq?

Seriously. If she'd just had some thick tights instead, I would have liked that outfit (well, and maybe some more practical boots).

I'm trying to figure out why the costume department dressed Emma in too-short sweaters two episodes in a row. I'm not a fan of either of them, but that's beside the point. I'm just wondering if there was a reason behind them.

Also, Hook has a new earring! Some people think it's a flower or cross, but I think it's just a gem with four prongs.

Someone in costumes just loves the crop top revival. I saw a bunch of cropped sweaters at Target today.

The earring looked like a black stone in a standard four-prong stud setting to me.

I just don't think the short outfit fits chronologically with the Belle in this episode. It's one thing for her to wear hot pants after living in the modern world or having Lacey as an alternate personality, but this young version of Belle starts out the episode in elaborate gowns. IDK, maybe they were trying to tell us that Belle had an adventurous spirit or something and this is supposed to go with her leather getup from The Outsider.

• Love 1

I want to know what happened to Emma's red leather jacket. Did it get destroyed between seasons? Is there a specific reason for the switch to the brown? I need to know!

I miss it too. I almost got chills when she grabbed it out of the closet in 3x12.

• Love 1
The first updo and makeup seemed very aging--I'm not sure who, but someone pointed out that it aged Belle up enough that she seemed to old to be her mother's daughter.

Last night was particularly bad, but it's also just that none of these characters can pull off younger versions of themselves anymore, and make-up and costuming has always fallen pretty short in that department. A fright wig or fugly glasses don't make Josh or Jen look like teen versions of their 30-something selves. All these people have visibly aged since they started back in 2011 - as people do. (Even Jared - he's like one or two growth spurts away from being able to sport a mustache, and he's still supposed to be playing 12.) I'm kind of at the point where I wish they would just get younger actors to portray their younger versions if that's a main part of the flashback, as they did with young Emma last week.

I don't know how any of the women on this show blink with those gigantic fake lashes glued to their eyelids. They're just horrid.

• Love 3

Last night was particularly bad, but it's also just that none of these characters can pull off younger versions of themselves anymore, and make-up and costuming has always fallen pretty short in that department. A fright wig or fugly glasses don't make Josh or Jen look like teen versions of their 30-something selves. All these people have visibly aged since they started back in 2011 - as people do.

I think Lana can still pull off a decently younger self (like 18ish or so). Colin could probably pull it off too if he got rid of the scruff and eyeliner. Emile looks pretty young with a pony tail and lighter make up (but they decided to slap that crazy lipstick on her last night).

But yes, they should look for younger actors. But then they have to worry about finding identical mini-me's. But then again, the casting department does a pretty spectacular job finding look alikes or people who look like they're related.

Yeah, what was that dark lipstick on Emilie last night? It was a glorious shade for a night out for me. Not so much for teenage Belle mourning her mom. At least the side ponytail was better than the updo in the first scene.

It's way too much boob.  I just don't see a super-powerful female magical being feeling the need to flash so much cleavage.  In all honesty, why would a super-powerful female magical being insist on wearing what must be an uncomfortable, heavily beaded mermaid gown with what must be a completely irritating high collar.  I just don't buy that a powerful, magical woman would choose to wear something so impractical. 

• Love 3

Agreed. I don't know why the neckline couldn't have been just an inch or two higher. It also bugs me that you can see the shoulder pads through the sheer fabric. Either ditch them or cover them better. 

Maybe if I had powerful magic, ridiculous outfits wouldn't be uncomfortable, and I could finally wear 4 inch heels.

It might be amusing if it was a one-episode character like Glinda, but to have it sustained episode after episode, it is just so unnecessary.  They wouldn't consider doing something so disrespectful for a male villain like Peter Pan.

• Love 2

When I was a kid, it used to really bother me that Wendy in Peter Pan was stuck running around in her nightgown (I had similar problems with just about any children's fantasy that required the heroine to have adventures in her nightgown), but now I think she might have had a good idea. She's probably more comfortable than most other female characters in fantasy. When I become a magical supervillain, I think I'll skip all the inconvenient trains, uncomfortable corsetry and magical push-up bras. I'm going to lounge around in my loose, comfortable nightgown while my minions do my bidding, and if I ever need to unleash the Boobs of Power to do a spell, I'll just untie the ribbon at the neck of my gown.

And there will be no beading.

If you cut off Elsa's dress mid-thigh and then travel back in time to the mid-90s, Nancy Kerrigan would have had a great skating costume.

• Love 6

I completely agree about the over-the-top nature of Ingrid's revealing neckline.  But what was really more heinous was what they had the sisters wearing in flashback, children (Alice in Wonderland, not Nordic-like) and adult versions.  Those pastel shiny satin or whatever gowns and gloves were bad.  I just did not like any of it.  It added to the cheesy feel of Arendelle scenes.  Which is apparently pronounced "Arendale". 

I know this is about costumes, but about the set "costume", the CGI of the ball was unimpressive to me.  It looked like they decked Rumple's room in different decorations. I don't remember if that's what it looked like in the Frozen movies.

But what was really more heinous was what they had the sisters wearing in flashback, children (Alice in Wonderland, not Nordic-like) and adult versions.  Those pastel shiny satin or whatever gowns and gloves were bad.

Yeah, the Alice in Wonderland outfits on the kids in a culture where they've established that day-to-day wear is Nordic-like (and I love that Nordic look) actually threw me out of the story enough to be sidetracked during the scene. And then there were the ballgowns. Yikes. In the movie, they still wore very Nordic-looking formal attire. Elsa's sparkly dress was an ice creation she made when she was breaking away from it all, not what was worn by the culture in general. These dresses looked like something from the very special Pride and Prejudice episode of Dynasty. I also don't get why princesses would be wearing their beaded ballgowns outdoors in a gazebo in daylight -- and why a princess would be wearing the same dress she'd worn to a ball outside in a gazebo in daylight some time later (after they'd had time to travel to Rumple's place and back). And yet the sisters were wearing Nordic-style attire while visiting Rumple, and Ingrid's "nope, not going to the ball, just going to sit here and feel sorry for myself, but you two have fun" outfit was also Nordic. So I don't know what the heck anyone was thinking in the flashback costuming.

• Love 2

TVLINE | That said, he might wish that you were a bit more clothed.

I do have to say there have been a number of people in my family who have been like, “Are you cold?” It’s very interesting, because when the designer came up with the second dress, I said, “That looks lower[-cut] than the first dress,” and he goes, “Yeah, apparently we’ve got to show ‘the girls.’” My best friend sent in a list of names that she felt we should name them. I don’t know that it matters to [my son], although every once in a while he’ll be like, “Mom, could you please look more like a mom?” So, the other day I was wearing sweats and he’s like, “That’s much better.”

From a TVLine.com interview with Elizabeth Mitchell.

I know we've made comments about the Magical Power Boobs, but apparently the show is serious about that.  I now feel extra sorry for the actresses.

I'm completely boggled.  What the actual heck?

Also--she's apparently barefoot in that beaded white gown.  I did not notice that.  Did anyone else?  I'm going to have to watch for it, now.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 1

I remember her mentioning it, that she wanted to go barefoot and they let her.

I WTFed at the quote too. It made it seem like someone "up there" told Eduardo to make the costumes low cut? Like, the way she worded it didn't seem like something Eduardo chose to do. And it's also a thing they only do to villains: Ingrid, Zelena, Regina... and, to be fair, Hook.

• Love 1
And it's also a thing they only do to villains: Ingrid, Zelena, Regina... and, to be fair, Hook.

You know, now that I think about it, isn't Hook's "modern" attire now that he's a good guy a lot more buttoned-up?

But Glinda and Blue also get the Boobs of Power treatment, and they're theoretically good (if shady/stupid).

• Love 1

You know, now that I think about it, isn't Hook's "modern" attire now that he's a good guy a lot more buttoned-up?

I don't know, someone should investigate it. Please provide photographic evidence, thank you!

Their insistence on showing as much boob as possible is stupid but this is the quote that got my attention:

TVLINE | Here’s my burning question: What is the key to gliding through a forest without snagging your ornate gown on a twig?
Oh, I’ve snagged my gown so many times, but the key, I think, was to ask them if my character could be barefoot. That way I can feel the twigs coming and kind of navigate them. Had I been in those six-inch, unbelievably gorgeous sparkly heels that they gave me to wear — which I did wear sometimes — that would’ve been impossible. I voted for barefoot and it made it a lot easier, it really did.

She wants to feel the twigs and random crap on the forest floor?! To save a train she has no reason to actually have? I know she was on Lost so the forest in Vancouver is probably a breeze but that just sounds incredibly uncomfortable. Cold feet getting poked by sticks and rocks makes having to wear a bra disguised as a dress in November sound like sweats. Then again, six inch sparkly heels in the forest do not sound better. I wear heels frequently and I am very confident that wearing those in the forest I would be happy to fall on my ass because it meant I wasn't landing on my face.

• Love 1

You know, for a show that's supposedly all about girl power and that likely has a predominantly female audience, the costuming is very "male gaze." There's all the ridiculous levels of cleavage. And there are the skyscraper heels, as mentioned above. I can kind of see it for Belle, as they're used to adjust a height discrepancy, though combined with her super-short skirts she ends up looking like some kind of schoolgirl perv fantasy. But they bring out the sky-high heels even when they don't serve a purpose and aren't seen. We really wouldn't know whether the Snow Queen was barefoot or wearing stilettos because her skirt drags the ground. We never would have seen Emma's shoes at the ball if Jen hadn't posted photos, so there was no need for her to be wearing four-inch heels. Do the producers just get off on the idea that their actresses are wearing high heels? Sometimes, it's even a detriment -- I watched "The Apprentice" with my mom, and she looked up from her sudoku in the scene when Hook was picking up Emma for their date and remarked, "She's taller than he is!" I said she was probably in really high heels because normally she isn't taller than he is, and he may look like a good wind would blow him away without the fifty pounds of leather, but he's not short. For a romantic scene, I can see wanting the man and woman to fit easily within the frame together and not have anyone get a crick in the neck during kissing, but why would you want her looking taller? My mom finally believed me about him not really being short when there was a later scene where he towered a head above Rumple.

Do they think that high heels and lots of boobs will attract more men to a fairy tale soap opera, or is this for the benefit of sleazy network executives? Is Wonderbra paying for product placement?

• Love 2

Also--she's apparently barefoot in that beaded white gown.  I did not notice that.  Did anyone else?  I'm going to have to watch for it, now.

I noticed she was barefoot in at least one scene in her ice lair. I wouldn't want to be barefoot in the forest; although I suppose it's better than crazy high heels in the forest. What happens if an actress sprains her ankle from that?

The push-up bras and low necklines on this show are getting ridiculous, but overall, it's so scattered. Emma is usually dressed very practically, Snow is terribly frumpy of late, Regina usually (but not always) has very nice professional attire, and then the fairytale crowd is more often than not subjected to boobs on parade. Is this show run by a couple of fourteen year old boys?

• Love 4

Is this show run by a couple of fourteen year old boys?

In my extensive exposure to teen boys of often impaired ethics? It would make some of their other storytelling choices make sense, too, so it's definitely possible.

It's interesting that they save the Power Boobs for magical women who are supposed to be very good at magic. The newbies and trainees -Emma, Elsa, and Tink - all have modest necklines, usually. I guess we'll know they're experts when their necklines plunge.

• Love 2

I noticed the bare feet in a couple scenes.  I didn't know if they were going for a Galadriel thing or what.  Then I saw some heels at one point.  But mostly you don't see her feet/shoes.  Why not go for comfort in that case, with some sparkly flats in case they peek through the dress. 

• Love 2

It's interesting that they save the Power Boobs for magical women who are supposed to be very good at magic. The newbies and trainees -Emma, Elsa, and Tink - all have modest necklines, usually. I guess we'll know they're experts when their necklines plunge.

Maybe the lower necklines makes them look more evil? Seductive? As for Blue, I finally have the proof she's a secret villain.

• Love 1

I think the reason the neckline is so distracting with the Snow Queen is that Elizabeth Mitchell is a lot bustier. I don't think it is actually any lower than Zelena or Regina's outfits. Unfortunately it sounds like someone did tell the execs that her outfits didn't need to be as low cut as the others' to still show more than enough breast to power her magic but they were overruled.

While I definitely have my issues with the costumes, I do think all of hers have been beautifully constructed and fitted. I especially love the fabrics. And the styling really does make her look like a gorgeous magical royal.

I think the evil women have low necklines because showing a lot of cleavage is provocative and sexual. It represents women being 'inappropriate'. I think the contrast between Snow White's all white outfits and conservative fits and Regina's red and leather low cut outfits with a lot of feathers and attention grabbing detail  in the Enchanted Forest, then Snow's frumpy styles in Storybrooke and Regina's tight dresses and sexier cuts in Storybrooke are very deliberate. Their styles are supposed to represent good and bad. It is ridiculously sexist bs that they really didn't have to bring over from the fairytales.

• Love 4
I think the evil women have low necklines because showing a lot of cleavage is provocative and sexual. It represents women being 'inappropriate'.... Their styles are supposed to represent good and bad. It is ridiculously sexist bs that they really didn't have to bring over from the fairytales.

Agreed. I think it's less male gaze-y (though there's definitely an element of that) and more about cashing in on some very basic "women owning their sexuality=BAD" psychology/narratives that are deeply embedded in our cultural matrix.

I actually think that the show has a really prudish attitude toward sexuality in general. In part I say this because even the male villains do get more revealing clothes as well, though certainly not to the extent of the ladies--Hook's shirt was so low-cut he might as well not have had one on for large portions of S2 and S3, and James in the 'Tiny' flashback had a super low-cut shirt as well--but also because more often on this show, a certain level of sexual appetite tends to be given to the villains and ONLY the villains. We have Regina in S1, who was easily the most sexual (and rape-y) character on canvas that season; we have Hook, whose behavior--while I understand others disagree--I personally found to have undertones of sexual violence and predatoriness in S2 (and let's not forget that Past!Hook in 3x21/22 was distracted by, you guessed it, the offer of a one night stand); even the signal that Prince James was "BAD!" in 'Tiny' was signaled by the fact that he was having casual sex with Jack. Contrast that with the canon couples: Snowing have had one (extremely tame) scene in bed in 3+ seasons; we never saw Neal and Emma do more than kiss; did Emma and Walsh even kiss?; OQ is supposed to be all "hot animal attraction" and all we've seen them do is kiss; we've seen Belle wake up in bed (alone) twice, but Rumbelle have only ever kissed on screen. On the flip side, since Snowing has had two babies we know they're getting busy, and ditto for Aurora and Cinderella and their princes, but still.

tl;dr: The "good guy" relationships on this show are all pretty chaste, while the "bad guy" relationships tend to be more sexualized; I find that the show, perhaps unintentionally, does often project a "sex is bad!" vibe, which I find disappointing/a little unhealthy.

• Love 5

From the spoilers thread, but not at all spoilery:

they need to put Hook back in his leather get up with the high collar. It must have had padded shoulders as he looks just a bit too "petite," now

While I loved Hook's old pirate outfit (it just had such a great presence on screen and an iconic look to it), I'm slowly warming up to his new clothes, too. I do agree he looks a bit trimmer in his new clothes, but I actually kind of like that because it suits his new hero personality in a way. In the old pirate outfit, Hook was this larger than life character and he built up this bad boy persona that fooled people into thinking he was more vicious than he probably was. But if you strip that all away, he's actually a rather trim and lanky guy; a bit more vulnerable and "petite." Killian's new clothes really emphasize those lanky physical features and it's kind of refreshing that a male lead in an action adventure show isn't your typical Josh Dallas big muscular guy.

And on a shallow fashion note - I totally dig Hook's new black diamond stud earring. Much classier than the dangly ones he used to wear.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

Yeah, Colin does look more petite in the new clothes, but I still like the outfit well enough. His pirate outfit definitely had a heavier look to it. I know some people here have mentioned the new jacket makes it harder for him to disguise holding onto the hook (keeping his arms the same length), but I've failed to notice any problems. I do miss his pirate outfit sometimes. I sometimes wish he'd switch back and forth with them. My favorite of his is still the prince outfit though.

I failed to mention earlier that I liked Belle's shirt in 4x07. She looked pretty in that shade of blue.

• Love 1

tl;dr: The "good guy" relationships on this show are all pretty chaste, while the "bad guy" relationships tend to be more sexualized; I find that the show, perhaps unintentionally, does often project a "sex is bad!" vibe, which I find disappointing/a little unhealthy.

Stealinghome, I agree with your whole post, but taking my response to the All Seasons Thread.

I find Hook's new jacket falls sort of weird in the back.  I noticed it in the last episode.  I don't know if it's because it's stiff or something, but it bugged me a lot.  It's really noticeable when he runs out of Gold's shop.

But his jacket has all he zipper features one requires to have something that almost matches Emma Swans red jacket, so it can't be all that bad.  Also, something warm for the guy.  While Canada is not Siberia, when the wind picks up and you feel your eye balls are about to drop, that jacket doesn't even look like it's warm enough for a Fall day.

My theory is that Colin wears a cold weather UnderArmour shirt under his costume that he cut a deep v-neck into, because there's no way he can be comfortable walking around set in only a button-up shirt and a thin leather jacket.

I miss the giant pirate coat. Not only did he look more imposing in it, but I got a kick out of the endless capacity it seemed to have. He was pulling spyglasses, appendages, multiple bottles of rum, and a seemingly endless supply of leather pouches from that thing. It was reaching Jerry from Parker Lewis levels of awesome ridiculousness.

Yeah, Colin does look more petite in the new clothes, but I still like the outfit well enough. His pirate outfit definitely had a heavier look to it. I know some people here have mentioned the new jacket makes it harder for him to disguise holding onto the hook (keeping his arms the same length), but I've failed to notice any problems. I do miss his pirate outfit sometimes. I sometimes wish he'd switch back and forth with them. My favorite of his is still the prince outfit though.

I failed to mention earlier that I liked Belle's shirt in 4x07. She looked pretty in that shade of blue.

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth! I loved Belle's outfit in 4x7; the shirt and the skirt!

And even though I miss Hook's old outfit sometimes, I am really warming up to his new one. I don't mind that it makes him look slimmer since I prefer slim guys. I also like that we can see more of his legs now :), and I like that his new jacket matches Emma's more. They look like a really bad ass couple! I also haven't been distracted by the longer arm that has the hook. I do wish though that he would at least switch up his vest and shirts more.

Next episode spoiler:

With the shattered sight spell coming up, I was hoping that maybe Hook would don his old pirate garb for a little bit, if the spell somehow made him revert back to his "bad" self.

• Love 1

I hadn't been bothered by the fact that the hook arm is obviously longer than his other arm until this last episode. But now that I've seen it, I can't UNsee it, you know? And now it annoys when I see it. If we're sticking with his modern-day clothes I wish they'd at least get a better jacket

I hadn't been bothered by the fact that the hook arm is obviously longer than his other arm until this last episode. But now that I've seen it, I can't UNsee it, you know? And now it annoys when I see it. If we're sticking with his modern-day clothes I wish they'd at least get a better jacket

In BTS photos it has been obvious for some time but Colin normally does a good job masking it. The scene on the fence was not blocked well.

In BTS photos it has been obvious for some time but Colin normally does a good job masking it. The scene on the fence was not blocked well.

I don't understand why the director didn't want to film that Rumple/Hook confrontation scene from the opposite side. I mean, it wouldn't have helped much for the straight-on camera angles of Hook, but if they filmed Colin from his right side instead of his left, he could have hidden the fact that his left arm is so much longer simply because it would be further away from the camera and more hidden by his body. 

And I've also noticed Colin doesn't have a big belt buckle he can use to mask the difference now, either. When he had that big belt, he'd always play with the belt buckle with his right hand, which always put his right arm at an angle so that he could straighten his left hook arm occasionally without making it look weird. I don't know why I notice these things...

Edited by Curio

I'm guessing Hook desn't wear it because it's pretty useless. At least he can do things with the hook. Like chop ice, shake berries off trees, break open a lock... You know, real useful stuff. ;)

There's been so much focus on Emma and Hook holding hands this season, I'm guessing that's why they don't have him wear the fake hand.  And...you never know when they'll need a berry snack.

The hook makes sense to me. He needs a weapon. He doesn't seem to have his sword anymore...Didn't it get left behind in the past?

I wonder what's more comfortable for Colin, holding onto a hook or trying to keep his hand stiff for so long?

Can't complain about the arm length issue. I don't really notice it, and Colin does what he can. One can only hold his/her arm at a slightly bent angle for so long.

Why is it that Storybrooke seems to be the only town in the world where women never seem to carry purses or handbags, but the men do? Hook has a messenger bag and little leather pouches, Rumple carries a briefcase, and Henry has a backpack. No one else ever has anything. I guess if you're trapped inside a single town you don't really need to carry anything with you? It's a weird detail to notice, but I can't help finding it strange. Belle should have a book bag, at least.

• Love 2