Type keyword(s) to search

Production Arts: Costumes, Soundtracks, Props, etc

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, sharky said:

Saw that Eduardo Castro has announced he's leaving the show. 

Eduardo has been hit or miss with the costuming. He's generally good with the villians' Enchanted Forest costuming, but his Storybrooke choices have had wildly divergent "success" rates. Ever since Ginny became pregnant, his team have dressed her like a frump. Not to mention the terrible hair styling and bad EF wigs. Some of Regina's Storybrooke clothes have been very drab as well, but others have been good. I don't even know what to make of the odd ensembles his team put Belle in most of the time (I'll never forget the one Belle wore in 3B in the flashback episode). He kinda gave up on Emma in Season 5 I think, or rather--let JMo have too much say in Emma's costuming. Hook's modern clothes have been too generic "leather". I do like the plaid "David" shirts, though. :-D Rumple/Gold is always good, no matter what. heh

From what I can tell, he was also not allowed input on the Captain Swan wedding clothes and Wedding rings. And A&E kinda made fun of his white wedding attire choice for Hook in the Show. Maybe he got offended and decided to leave. I think he only really loved making costumes for the Evil Queen. He was talking about making different costumes for Regina/EQ for each scene in Season 6. Some of the detail they put in to costumes Lana wears for just one or two scenes was mindboggling (and sometimes they make two replicas of the costume). But even with that, some of the outfits have been very cartoonish. It's high time the Show retires the excessive boobage anyway, whoever was responsible. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Seriously, an award should be given for Best Sustained Effort to Make Someone Look Horrible.

I definitely looked like it, didn't it? It certainly complimented the terrible storylines for MM/Snow as well. lol

5 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I guess the love for The Evil Queen is constant in all departments.

Apparently!

PS: I think you managed to quote me in the short time before I deleted my post in the S7 thread and reposted it here. lol

Going by his interviews, Eduardo Castro wasn't a big fan of the hair department himself:

MItD: How much do you collaborate with hair and makeup when creating the looks? For Rumple in particular, his makeup goes with his costume so well, and Snow and Regina have the hairstyle distinctions between past and present.
Castro: We try to collaborate with hair and make up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Hair has been a particular challenge and I am very rarely happy with the end results, mostly because everything is done so fast.

https://themusicinthedark.com/2017/02/25/eduardo-castro-talks-designing-the-costumes-of-once-upon-a-time/

We all have our favorite OUAT designs, but it's increasingly hard to pick a favorite! What has been your absolute favorite design in Season One?
I have a few favorites; obviously Evil Queen’s final costume is one of my favorites. One of my least favorites was Evil Queen’s Traveling Costume used in the Hansel and Gretel Episode worn with a hat. However this costumes seems to be a “Fan” Favorite, The hair was unfortunate and made Lana look like a “Drag Queen” I later re worked the same costume without the hat and added Yak hair to the bodice and a Coque feather collar and then it became one of my favorites.

http://www.onceuponafans.com/interviews/divine-by-design-a-chat-with-eduardo-castro

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

He kinda gave up on Emma in Season 5 I think, or rather--let JMo have too much say in Emma's costuming.

This was a big mistake. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but Jennifer has a terrible fashion sense and many of the choices she made for Emma, like the date dress or the wedding dress, were a mistake. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Hook's modern clothes have been too generic "leather".

I really hope they let Killian have a wardrobe rather than a costume this season. I'm guessing that under the new curse he will have his hand back or a more traditional prosthetic, so that will allow him to wear normal clothes without needing to allow for the hook (although that's a pretty lame reason for keeping him in the same jacket for three seasons when they were making a new EQ dress every episode). 

12 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but Jennifer has a terrible fashion sense and many of the choices she made for Emma, like the date dress or the wedding dress, were a mistake. 

I agree with this 100%. I personally didn't like any of the clothes Emma wore in S6 and the wedding dress was a big miss for me. I also wish Hook had been able to wear something at the wedding that better reflected his personal history. This piece of fanart is more along the lines of what I would have loved to have seen them in (not to mention how lovely a wedding on the Jolly Roger would have been).

• Love 1

It wasn't so much the wedding dress I didn't like as it was the very tight, slicked-back hair and harsh makeup. The event that was supposed to be the ultimate celebration of her losing her walls had her looking like her Dark Swan mode. The Camelot ball outfit seems more fitting.

It seems to me like all of Hook's clothes were made from the same pattern, with just slightly different adaptations. Like when you buy a pattern, and there's view A, view B, and view C. So there's the Pirate Coat pattern, which was used to make the original pirate coat, the Prince Charles coat (using different fabric), the Camelot coat, and the Dark One in Camelot coat, with the collar/lapel shape and length being the variations. Then there was the Modern Pirate pattern, which was used in the short version to make the initial Storybrooke short jacket, the Dark One jacket and the slightly different later Storybrooke jacket, and then the longer version was used for the new longer jacket and the wedding jacket.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, RadioGirl27 said:

many of the choices she made for Emma, like the date dress or the wedding dress, were a mistake. 

Thosr two were really not good, I agree. I'm one of the few who was fine with the Dark Swan look, and the Camelot outfits were lovely, but Season 6 was not flattering to Emma at all. In Season 6, almost all the choices were bad, it seems. The dress Emma wore in the Street Rats episode was hideous for example. And her ponytails were thown in so half-ass throughout the season, which takes a special kind of lack of care to achieve. I get forgoing thick makeup, but at least put in some effort!! The no-makeup thing worked in 5B for the post-Dark Swan look, and the Underworld setting, but she had her hair down as well. It just didn't work in S6,

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 3

OMG, I just noticed that the Blue Fairy (in fairy mode) is wearing stripper heels while floating around. Seriously?

The costume/production design for the fairies is one of the most insane things on this show. I noticed that toward season 6 they'd toned down the weird dangly squid things, so maybe they realized that they were drunk/stoned when they came up with that look and maybe it wasn't the best idea.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sure what to make of this tweet.  As a consultant?

Ruth Anne Garcia‏ @rgarcia5545  20h20 hours ago

@AdamHorowitzLA Will Eduardo Castro be continuing on in Season 7?

Adam Horowitz‏  @AdamHorowitzLA

Replying to @rgarcia5545     He has continued to work on the show this season.

Edited by Camera One

What? Hm... maybe they're brining him in on occasion to do EF flashbacks or he's working now to help with the transition. Or perhaps his boobilicious portfolio didn't appeal to other show runners so he's back at Once.