Type keyword(s) to search

Production Arts: Costumes, Soundtracks, Props, etc

• Start Topic

Why is it that Storybrooke seems to be the only town in the world where women never seem to carry purses or handbags, but the men do? Hook has a messenger bag and little leather pouches, Rumple carries a briefcase, and Henry has a backpack. No one else ever has anything. I guess if you're trapped inside a single town you don't really need to carry anything with you? It's a weird detail to notice, but I can't help finding it strange. Belle should have a book bag, at least.

I was just thinking the exact same thing.  It also doesn't fit with the very stylish Regina, she should definitely be sporting a variety of beautiful bags.  Emma's jeans are so tight that you wonder where she even fits her cell phone and keys.  Let alone a little lip gloss and spare eyelashes.  Small crossbody bag would come in handy.  Maybe she leaves a big tote in her VW and we just never see it.

Belle carries around a giant tote bag occasionally. It's where she "safely" leaves the Dark One dagger.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. Though I think she only conveniently has it when the dagger has to be mentioned.

I went back and watched some of the earlier eps and it's particularly glaring in the pilot when Emma goes on the "date" with the bail jumper and there are CLEARLY no pockets in that body hugging dress, yet she doesn't have even a small clutch. No phone? Keys? Wallet? TASER? After all, she's chasing after criminals.

Mary Margaret did have a little black purse when she was in the classroom, but that's been forgotten along with her teaching job. Teenage delinquent Emma had a bag for smuggling stolen convenience store snacks. Everyone in the present-day seems to just rely on pockets.

ETA: I suppose Snow's diaper bag sort of counts. Also, i just thought of David's gun holster that might sort of count as an accessory, but then wondered...where does Emma keep her gun that she sometimes has? Waistband? Keepin' it OG?

Edited by The Cake is a Pie

Liked the popped collar Hook had for a scene or two this past episode.

I don't think I've ever really noticed the purse situation before. Probably because I don't carry around a purse at all (I don't wear makeup, so I have none of that to lug around). I just stuff whatever I need into my jean/jacket pockets. Which is probably what the characters do.

• Love 2

Disappointing that we didn't get to see Elsa in a modern-day outfit.

---------

Why does Ursula's crown look like  something a small child made with glitter?

Well, her entire look --head to toe-- was a big fail for me. I guess they already used the good ideas on Regina-Ursula? Sigh.

• Love 2

Just one more, I promise; from the episode thread:

Good god, Belle's boobs were literally touching her chin during the kidnapping scenes.  I guess someone's cleavage had to take over once the Snow Queen vacated the premises.

Me: "That's what she wears to do laundry? Gah." So ridiculously unnecessary.

Cruella looks amazing, I like how Maleficent looks closer to her cartoon self, Ursula...I think I need a little more time to get used to it.

Its weird, for me Cruella looked fantastic as a near copy of her cartoon look, but I did not like Mal with the horns. I thought she looked a lot better in season one with the pink bow thing on her head.

What is with the ridiculous fake lashes they put on all the women??

For me the problem is less with the thickness or length of the fake eyelashes themselves and more about how poorly they are applied. How is it that professional makeup artists on a hit tv show are so bad at putting eyelashes on actresses? The dead giveaway is always when there is a gap between the inner corner of the eye and where the fake eyelashes begin (this was often an issue on the actress who played Quinn on Glee - every time she blinked or cast her eyes downward, all I could see was that gap). Now I will concede that I have an abnormally long eyelid and sometimes the fake lashes that I use (especially the cheap ones at CVS) are sometimes too short to cover my entire lid. But HELLO, I am smacking $2 lashes on myself at home. If I had a professional makeup artist putting them on me, I would expect them to be applied perfectly (and the few times that I've had my makeup down professionally, the fake eyelashes did look perfect!). How is it that I can apply fake eyelashes better while sitting on my couch with one eye shut holding a mirror in one hand and sticking the eyelashes on myself with the other hand better than an actual makeup artist who gets paid to do this EVERY SINGLE DAY? And I only wear them a few times a year so it's not like I have done this thousands of times.

The bad eyelashes are most egregious on Emma, Mary Margaret, and Belle. Off the top of my head, I don't recall ever thinking that Regina's looked bad. On a related note, I watched a behind the scenes tour for Hit the Floor and my favorite thing was when they went into the makeup room and one of the makeup artists opened a cabinet that was stacked from top to bottom with fake eyelashes. Ha!

Ginnie looks fantastic for recently having given birth and both her and Josh's outfits are on point. Ginnie should really be put in charge of Snow's wardrobe on the show.

Honestly, it seems clear the show goes out of its way to make Mary Margaret look frumpy. The whole wide world of costuming is at their disposal, and yet they choose THOSE things for MM to wear? Come on now.

• Love 2

I've been rewatching Season 1 and I really wish Ginny would grow her hair out back to the Season 1 style. It was still a pixie cut, but longer in the front, and it was just so adorable and framed her face so well. This current short cut is just too severe.

Mary Margret's wardrobe has always varied from frumpy to twee, but those giant pastel sweaters she's been wearing lately are the worst, and the shirts buttoned all the way up to her chin aren't much better. Loosen up, honey. Undo a button. Wear some color.

• Love 2

I think that she's always been a bit on the frumpy side, especially compared to the other ladies of the show. (Belle comes to mind, but her clothing has been questionable as of late as well.)

As far back as the pilot she's mostly worn cardigans and sweaters unless she was dressing for a date or party however the colours and shapes of the clothes she's been wearing in 4a have been so unflattering that it seems that the wardrobe department have no idea how to dress a woman who isn't model skinny. Or frankly dress women at all.

Eta: The cake is the pie beat me to it. I just finished rewatching season one last night.

Edited by Delphi

Oh, lord no. I would never consider belle frumpy, I love her clothes. Even the more eccentric choices. Especially her blue Armani dress from season two and her honeymoon outfit from A tale of Two Sisters. EdR looks fantastic in her sheer outfits and blue. I merely meant that her recent attire has been strange. From her collared shirt under that ugly quilted dress last episode or the sweater vest from the episode prior. As if the department suddenly forgot how Belle dresses. Forgetting spell maybe?

I also hated Regina's outfit in 4x05 where it appeared she had been binge watching 90s shows and fell in love with Monica from friends wardrobe.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1

I don't think the white dress Ginny was wearing at the PCA was all that flattering, to be honest. First of all, you can see in some pictures that there's something wrong with the hem, and her stylist should be fired for letting her go out like that. Second, that kind of huge skirt, which she seems to default to since she gave birth (she was wearing something similar to the Once premiere), is just not flattering. I think she maybe believes it hides any baby weight she might not have lost yet, but it honestly makes it look like she's still pregnant. She should chose more fitted clothes, IMO, and if they show she still isn't at her pre-baby weight, who cares? She's beautiful either way.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

I found that the costuming took a large step back across the board in 3B/4A, to be honest, to the point where I'm wondering if they lost a crazy talented intern or something. I get that Mary Margaret has always dressed frumpy, but what they've had her in for the past season has been just awful; I'm still not over Emma's plaid and crazy mixing-and-matching in 3B (gratefully that, at least, largely went away in 4A); I'm less than impressed with Hook's new outfit; I think they've never figured out quite what to do with Belle wardrobe-wise in either past or present; and even Regina, who normally looks oh-so-stylish, had a few glaring misfires in 4A.

Honestly the only characters who have avoided awful wardrobe assassination are Rumpel and Charming, and that's because it's really hard to mess up their general looks (suit and jeans/button-down/jacket). Though Charming's awful Storybrooke wig from 4x01 gets a special mention...and now that I think about it, Rumbelle's Beauty and the Beast outfits from 4x01 were misses, too.

Agree that I wish they'd return Snow to her more S1-style hair. Maybe it would bring back some of Mary Margaret's sweet motherly-without-being-cloying-ness!

• Love 1

On the subject of hair, I noticed Belle's hair has gotten increasingly darker since season 1. Like Snow, they should go back to Belle's S1 hair. It was several shades lighter and doesn't age her nearly as much as the super dark brown does. It looked a lot more natural, too.

Season 2 is easily my favourite season in terms of costume, I'm sure there was missteps but what I remember is Mulan's gorgeous but very serviceable armour, the best (imo) red leather jacket, Snow's combat princess outfit and Milah's absolutely awesome pirate look. It's all been down hill from there. 

• Love 1

It's not so much the dark hair that bugs me, it's whatever the hell they've been doing her makeup. In 4a, she was often on the ghostly/sickly side of pale, which makes any woman look washed out and tired and aged. At points, I wondered if they were trying to make her look that way on purpose, to indicate her subconscious sense that Rumpel was lying to her - but given the general down-turn in costuming and hair across the board, maybe I'm giving them a little too much credit.

Belle's hair always looked like it went from a brown to darker/redder look. I loved her make up in season 1 (?) EF flashbacks, where it seemed very...light? Fresh-faced? I don't know any make up lingo, so does that make sense? More specifically, I'm talking about that scene I often see in gifs/on tumblr, where Belle (with her traveling cloak) turns around and sees Regina's stage coach coming. I though her make up was on point there.

Belle looked amazing in that blue-ish colored top in 3x06 I think. She looked amazing in that color.

ITA that the make-up has always been several (million) steps behind the costuming for Once. I've noticed how poor the make-up is in multiple episodes...and while I tend to notice it on the women, for obvious reasons, I've several times noticed how bad it is on the men, too, which is like the kiss of death make-up wise. I've NEVER, ever noticed poor make-up on men on any other show I've ever watched. So you KNOW it's bad here.

Season 2 is easily my favourite season in terms of costume, I'm sure there was missteps but what I remember is Mulan's gorgeous but very serviceable armour, the best (imo) red leather jacket, Snow's combat princess outfit and Milah's absolutely awesome pirate look. It's all been down hill from there.

I agree, though I do deduct some points for Charming's hideous chain mail outfit from 2x10. That was terrible. Snow's combat princess outfits really are the best, though, especially because they're modeled on what Young Regina used to wear--I've always thought that's a really nice visual connection. Like, of course Snow would adopt the style of her stepmother growing up. Of course.

I hope the actors all liked what they wore in 2x22, because they then got stuck in those clothes for all of 3A. And actually, come to think of it, both JMo and Ginny G got stuck in the same outfits for all of 2A and 3A both. They must have thrown a party when they learned they'd be allowed to change clothes in 4A!

It's not exactly costuming per se, but Aurora's immortal "What kind of corset is this?" never, ever fails to make me chuckle.

I loved her make up in season 1 (?) EF flashbacks, where it seemed very...light? Fresh-faced?

I definitely think Belle's make-up in S1 was intended to make her look young, which fit the character. Like Amerilla, I've been wondering if they've been tinkering with her make-up in S3 and S4 to make her look older and like a more appropriate age match for Rumpel/Robert Carlyle, but it really hasn't been flattering. I wish they'd just own the age difference (especially since they insist on dressing Belle like she's very young...costuming and make-up should work together, not be at cross-purposes).

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

I've been wondering if they've been tinkering with her make-up in S3 and S4 to make her look older and like a more appropriate age match for Rumpel/Robert Carlyle, but it really hasn't been flattering.

It's weird though because they didn't seem to even try to make Belle look younger in her flashback in 4A and that should have been the top priority of the make-up people.

I hope the actors all liked what they wore in 2x22, because they then got stuck in those clothes for all of 3A. And actually, come to think of it, both JMo and Ginny G got stuck in the same outfits for all of 2A and 3A both.

Ginny said she made it a point to be wearing a full backpack in 2x22 because she didn't want to get stuck in another situation like the pink sweater set from 2A. I loved that she planned ahead to give herself some flexibility to change clothes if she wanted. Obviously, Colin was ultimately the one with the biggest reason to complain about costuming. He was stuck in that same outfit for two full seasons.

Edited by KAOS Agent

The thing about makeup is how inappropriate it is for some situations, sometimes. Especially Belle in the EF - why not give her some natural colors, instead of the bright, bright ones (especially on lips) that look ridiculous when she's supposed to be "adventuring"? Who brings a mirror and lipstick and re-applies constantly when they're in danger? Please!

I've several times noticed how bad it is on the men, too, which is like the kiss of death make-up wise. I've NEVER, ever noticed poor make-up on men on any other show I've ever watched

Wait....you mean Colin and Josh don't naturally have glossy, bubblegum-pink lips?? Robert doesn't really have gray-blue eyelids? I'm shocked.

Edited by Amerilla
The thing about makeup is how inappropriate it is for some situations, sometimes. Especially Belle in the EF - why not give her some natural colors, instead of the bright, bright ones (especially on lips) that look ridiculous when she's supposed to be "adventuring"? Who brings a mirror and lipstick and re-applies constantly when they're in danger? Please!

Belle is the one with the most inappropriate outfits going on, so her carrying lipstick and whatnot would not be surprising.  Who thought it was a good idea to put her in those shorts during the missing year?  Because seriously, WTF show?!?!  She looks like she gets dressed at the hooker section of Jr. Miss or something.  She has the most impractical wardrobe.  She goes to Arendelle in a skimpy outfit, she trudges around the EF during the winter in ass-shorts.  I'm not going to talk about that "wedding" outfit and how short her skirts and dresses are.  Like, why?

Mary Margaret's wardrobe is season 1 was not bad at all.  I thought it went with the character (and I really loved Ginny's hair).  I don't know what happened in season 3, other than they seemed to be scared of dressing a pregnant woman.  There are nice clothes for pregnant women and there are nice things for post-pregnancy, so why they insist on making her look frumpy instead of I don't know, Snow White...I know GG is dropping her baby weight, so I don't know if it has something to do with her own comfort level (which is understandable given what the beauty standards in this effed up world are) but I thought what she was wearing at that award show (white dress, black pumps) was really nice and I couldn't understand why it can't be done on the show.  She's Snow White, they can dress her in something elegant and yet comfortable.  

Wait....you mean Colin and Josh don't naturally have glossy, bubblegum-pink lips??

I'm gonna go cry in my pillow now.  My dreams are now shattered beyond repair.  

God, I'm bored!

I'm gonna go cry in my pillow now.  My dreams are now shattered beyond repair.

It makes me nostalgic. I had lip gloss that exact same shade when I was in junior high school.

Who thought it was a good idea to put her in those shorts during the missing year?  Because seriously, WTF show?!?!

I didn't love that outfit, but I kind of got it. This was Belle's first time back to the Dark Castle since the end of 'Skin Deep,' and I think part of the idea behind the outfit was to make her look very different from the innocent girl in the yellow ball gown or the blue dress, how much she'd changed. I don't see Original Recipe Enchanted Forest Belle wearing leather hotpants.

• Love 1

If they wanted to show a change in Belle, why not put her in full leather pants then? The hotpants were just stupid for her to wear while trekking through the woods in the winter. These costume designers have done some great things with female characters in leather. Look at Milah's pirate outfit. It was practical and gave her a strong appearance, but still managed to have a feminine look to it.

• Love 2

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I remember Emilie saying she really liked the outfit because she didn't get overheated and it was easy to move when they were running around in the outside scenes. I have the feeling she and Lana really draw the short straws when it comes to their EF costumes, so anything that doesn't involve a boob-crushing corset or a team of stagehands to navigate them and their skirts into the bathroom must be a nice switch.

It is interesting, although I think the poster's interpretation is just anti-Swanfire bullshit.

To me, the symbolism has less to do with youth and innocence or Whale and Neal than it does with where Snow and Emma are in their lives when they wear it.

Snow isn't an young, innocent schoolteacher looking for love - she's a wife and mother separated from her husband. Emma coming to town has shaken her out of a bit of her haze, but she's still unaware of the larger forces at play.

Emma and Neal think their just young lovers planning a future, but they don't know who the other person really is or what it means.  Since it looks like she's holding the dreamcatcher in the photo, I assume this is the dress she's wearing when she's faking pregnancy to shoplift the store - not realizing at this point that she is (or is about to be) pregnant for real. Like Snow, Emma has no way of knowing about the larger forces at play in her life.

In any case, good work on the costumers part!

• Love 2

To me, the symbolism has less to do with youth and innocence or Whale and Neal than it does with where Snow and Emma are in their lives when they wear it.

To me it's like the hot chocolate with cinnamon. It's subtle mother/daughter similarities. I actually wish we could see more of these parallels. Even though her growing up was completely different, I still find it hard to believe Emma is the offspring of Snow. Now Charming, on the other hand...

Edited by KingOfHearts

I'm still kinda pissed at how crappy Ursula's costume is. I don't understand why they didn't go with the movie's black/purple color scheme. And even if they didn't want to use those exact colors, the colors they did choose look horrible on Merrin Dungey; as well as that blondish wig. They could have done something better even if they didn't want to copy Regina's Ursula costume. I just think she has the worst villainess costume so far.

• Love 2

It's weird.  They made Maleficient and Cruella like their animated counterparts and then we have Ursula wearing green.  The whole concept is just awkward since they already had Regina basically usurping Ursula's role a season ago.  Maybe they will reveal Ursula used to be a frog or something.

From spoiler thread but no spoilers, regarding the new owners of "Regina"'s house and speculating how often they will now be able to film there.

I had seen that Regina's house was for sale/sold

I wonder if they might build a false front of the doorway of that house on a studio lot.  Is the interior of Regina's house replicated in their the sets in the studio?  Would this be really expensive, and would it look convincing?  Of course, they couldn't have a wide shot of the house anymore, but it would be the next best thing.

Edited by Camera One

If they are indeed not filming at the house. I imagine that they'll use already shot establishing shots for the house. And either find a house with a similar enough style that we won't question it, or merely rebuild the living room set on a studio. They owned all the furniture for that set, those couches are a literal fortune, so they probably assume no one will notice.

I'm actually okay with Ursula's green costume.  It;s like sea weed, so I can see why they went that way.  

Her SB costume is black and deep purple.

I don't know if what's in brackets counts as a spoiler, so just in case.

Oh, I had no idea. I thought Mary Margaret 's apartment was always just a studio set. Fascinating.

It might have been and they just moved studios. All I remember is reading about how they had to recreate it in a completely different space between the two seasons.

So, for as much as I've snarked on the costuming people before, I want to give them a few shout-outs for tonight. First, hallelujah, Snow didn't look 500% frumpy for the first time in like two seasons! What she was wearing was MUCH more stylish, while still being relatively "conservative," than what she had been wearing. Maybe the costumers just need to take classes on maternity wear. Second, they finally put Snow and Charming back in some COLOR. I hadn't realized how drab the colors they've been dressing those two in have been, but then between David's bright blue and Snow's orange, I was like, it's a color extravaganza. And both looked much better in color, so keep it up, wardrobe.

Cruella's outfit was totally on point, and I liked Maleficent's. Ursula's getup was by far my least favorite of the Queens, but it was better than what she wore in 3x11. I think they changed the shade of green--it looks much better now. Still not wild about the costume as a whole though, it's just not super flattering.

Negative points tonight, however, for it looking like Hook got a major haircut before the last scene (it was distracting) and for whatever they did to Josh Dallas' hair. I'm not sure how they managed to make a basic short haircut look so weird, but, well.... And poor EdR's fake eyelashes were distracting in the first scene. But that's par for the course.

• Love 1

And poor EdR's fake eyelashes were distracting in the first scene. But that's par for the course.

Those horrid fake lashes honestly took me out of the scene, which is a shame because it was actually a really good character moment for those two. Why don't they let the women just wear mascara on this show anymore? Like, I'm pretty sure if Belle bats her eyelashes fast enough, she could fly away.

• Love 2