Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It took me a few seconds, but I did get Lindbergh. I didn't know the prize, and I wasn't sure what the year of his famous flight was -- even though I recently read a book about that very year! 

One TS I was very excited to get was The Incredible Dr Pol. I love him. Good show. His son is a bit of a wet rag.

Of the three tonight, Buzzy was least objectionable, so I'm glad he won again.  However, I made the same mistake the woman did and came up with Windward instead of Leeward.  Boo hiss.

I did get a few TS though -- Bryce Dallas Howard, Sydney Pollack and Pont Neuf.  I knew JPL because of the book and movie The Martian, and I was surprised Ben didn't get Nevada for the first DD.  It seemed obvious to me.

I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand Buzzy.  At least I know who to blame for all the hipster songs in commercials I hate.  

I got sheikh, Nevada (missed DD), Wesley and All Fools Day.

Totally clueless on FJ.

• Love 3

Forgot to mention, in yesterday's game, Alex said Buzzy gave "the wrong correct answer" - I don't know what he meant by that but it made me laugh.

I also said Windward instead of Leeward.

In the interview, did Buzzy say his company put Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's version of Over the Rainbow in a commercial?  And did Alex then say the original singer is going to be happy to hear that?  And was Buzzy really cool by not answering "He would, if he were still alive."? Or I am totally off the mark in what was said?

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The French name helped me on FJ - sans vent, without wind. But then we are sailors.

I thought it was "sous-vent", with "sous" meaning "under". Regardless, I have never heard the terms Leeward Islands or Windward Islands, so I was unable to get any further than that.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Trey said:

In the interview, did Buzzy say his company put Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's version of Over the Rainbow in a commercial?  And did Alex then say the original singer is going to be happy to hear that? 

Nah, Alex brought that one up as a great song from a commercial, and Buzzy said he had recently placed a song that went platinum. Which made the performer happy.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Trey said:

In the interview, did Buzzy say his company put Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's version of Over the Rainbow in a commercial?  And did Alex then say the original singer is going to be happy to hear that?  And was Buzzy really cool by not answering "He would, if he were still alive."? Or I am totally off the mark in what was said?

No, Alex mentioned the Over the Rainbow guy (for some strange and unknown reason) after Buzzy, the "Music Exec", explained he apparently has something to do with getting songs in commercials.  He said he just closed some deal, which led Alex to say that the artist (whoever it was) should be happy.

• Love 1

Forgot to mention one thing that bugged -- 'Zodiac' does not equal 'Sign of the Zodiac'.

AT fills in the blanks to give a contestant credit for a correct answer -- when he should have asked for a BMS

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 7

If anyone had been able to name the founder of the Methodist Church, I wonder if just "Wesley" would get a BMS.  John founded the church; his brother Charles wrote hymns.

• Love 2

I didn't know Lapp was a pejorative. That's what I came up with. I also thought about Dionysis for the God of Fertility (I think it was), but I wasn't confident enough to say it outright.

Buzzy definitely reminds me of Barton Fink, but I can see Harold Lloyd and even James Joyce.

• Love 2

Thanks Jesse and CarpeDiem54. I thought I didn't get it right.

I also didn't know Lapp is now considered a pejorative. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

For a multi-day champ, Buzzy really has been squeaking through most days! Which makes it fun for me, but I think Alex prefers the runaway games, because it's more "impressive"? He's an ass. 

15 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

No, Alex mentioned the Over the Rainbow guy (for some strange and unknown reason) after Buzzy, the "Music Exec", explained he apparently has something to do with getting songs in commercials.  He said he just closed some deal, which led Alex to say that the artist (whoever it was) should be happy.

What I got out of it was that he's probably the person we have to thank for "Renegades" becoming a huge hit. I can't think of any other platinum song in a commercial in the last year or so. If that is the case, Buzzy's got a good ear and a very cool job.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The Arc de Triomphe -- they honestly showed the Arc de Triomphe.

I'm not normally a fan of photo clues, but I thought asking for the monument with the close-up of the one relief was fairly interesting.  Then they pulled back to the wider shot...

• Love 4

In regards to Lapp being a pejorative, I don't think it's widely known or acknowledged yet. (Kind of like how "retarded" use to be a widely accepted term, including officially.). There are arguments on what "Lapp" originally meant, and whether it was insulting, but it was a name given to a people. I think the idea that the Sami refer to themselves as Sami and their homeland as Sapmi is enough. 

ETA: So basically, I wish Jeopardy wouldn't promote it. I fully understand individuals not being aware, but I want more from the show. 

Edited by Pallida
Clarifying
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

What I got out of it was that he's probably the person we have to thank for "Renegades" becoming a huge hit. I can't think of any other platinum song in a commercial in the last year or so. If that is the case, Buzzy's got a good ear and a very cool job.

Renegades is exactly the song I was thinking of when I mentioned hipster songs in commercials.  I hate that song, and all the Jeep commercials it's in, with the fire of a thousand white hot suns.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Jesse said:

For a multi-day champ, Buzzy really has been squeaking through most days! Which makes it fun for me, but I think Alex prefers the runaway games, because it's more "impressive"? He's an ass. 

I didn't watch last night, but I was always under the impression that Alex showed more enthusiasm for close games than runaways, because there's suspense right up to the end. Of course he'll also show disappointment when someone bets just enough to win, instead of going for a "big payday," and he'll never fail to remind everyone when someone won with a low total.

• Love 1

Buzzy got all three DDs wrong today.  You've got to say this for the guy: he's won five games without one of them being a runaway - so we're getting some good shows.

I thought tonight that Tal might sneak up and pass Buzzy.  She was briefly in first place, but couldn't keep it, and she missed FJ anyway.

Now Buzzy gets to go home and iron his suits for three weeks while we watch the teachers and the "power players" (couldn't they come up with a better name than that?)

As with last night, Buzzy was the least objectionable player to me -- he was the only one who consistently started at the tops of the categories.  That said, he really had some boneheaded responses, most notably all the dancing around Walden.  Still, I'm glad he won over the other two.

For FJ, I was torn among characters, but ended up with Paddington Bear, which I suspected was incorrect.

• Love 1

Congrats to Buzzy on being a five time champion. I like Buzzy.

The only TS I remember getting was Kiev although there might have been more.  Also got Clyde (the river in Scotland, not the turtle on Elementary), one of Buzzy's missed DD's.

I did get Peter Pan for FJ  but wasn't sure of it. I would have written it down.

• Love 2

I said Clydesdale instead of Clyde, so I guess I got that wrong, though I was closer than Buzzy. He forgot the category was "C". 

I also got Peter Pan. Seems like I had heard about a hospital or school getting the rights to the play.

Buzzy bugged me at the beginning when he dusted off each shoulder. I say aloud, "Don't do that."

I didn't really find the other two contestants objectionable, though I didn't like the middle guy starting in the middle of categories. I kind of liked Tal and wouldn't have minded her winning.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

As with last night, Buzzy was the least objectionable player to me -- he was the only one who consistently started at the tops of the categories.  That said, he really had some boneheaded responses, most notably all the dancing around Walden.  Still, I'm glad he won over the other two.

For FJ, I was torn among characters, but ended up with Paddington Bear, which I suspected was incorrect.

OMG, "On Walden Pond" made me laugh really hard. I hope he's catching a lot of shit from his friends on that 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

OMG, "On Walden Pond" made me laugh really hard. I hope he's catching a lot of shit from his friends on that 

I made the same mistake.

I got FJ on a guess. I was surprised it was right.

I'm looking forward to the teachers, since I'm now one of them. However, the last couple of Teacher Tournaments were underwhelming and another one gave us Colby.

• Love 4

I wanted Tal to win. I don't dislike Buzzy, nor do I particularly like him, but Tal had a great personality and I was disappointed she lost.

Even recognizing the meaning of the words (which I only did in retrospect), I never would have gotten FJ. Leeward, Windward, had no idea there were islands with names that were basically directions. Which is to say, I'd heard the names, but thought the islands' ACTUAL names were something else. Geography is not my strong suit. The hubs, whose strong suit it is, didn't get them either.

There was at least one, possibly two, question(s) we thought they'd take back - but I forget which one it was.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

I was also surprised that Buzzy pulled out the win after going 0 for 3 in the DDs -- usually that is the kiss of death.  Walden, Clyde and the American Heart Association.

That American Heart Association clue was worded oddly -- Founded in 1924, this group calls itself "The World Leader In" CPR Training

I wonder if it was the quotes that threw Buzzy off. I checked the AHA web site, heart.org, and I can see why they paraphrased the remainder of "The World Leader In" quote because it's kind of long -- "We are the world leader in CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC) training and education"

Considering the way they have been giving away correct answers to clues recently, I'm surprised they didn't give that Walden clue to Buzzy -- they have been ruled correct for giving too little information, why not change it up and award a correct answer for giving too much information ?  Would it have gone to far to have answered 'Kit Walden'  ?

Surprised that Kiev was a TS

• Love 3

I was out of the country this week and had to binge watch all the episodes. Couldn't wait to get here to catch up on the commentary!

I cannot stand Buzzy because I think he's a poser. His whole look is so trying-too-hard, and based on his own description of his work, he's not a music executive; he's an advertising executive. I bet his is to blame for Renegades, which is loathed by everyone I know because of that TV spot.

Going back a couple of weeks: I'm black and I found Alex's "no, the other one" for the Sojourner Truth question extremely offensive because, in my opinion, it implied there are only two black and female historical figures anyone should be expected to know. And while that may be the case, that doesn't make it acceptable. 

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Going back a couple of weeks: I'm black and I found Alex's "no, the other one" for the Sojourner Truth question extremely offensive because, in my opinion, it implied there are only two black and female historical figures anyone should be expected to know. And while that may be the case, that doesn't make it acceptable. 

I'm not black, and I winced when he said it.  Mostly because of the pronouns, I think, and the cluelessness to the issue of tone.  He could've said exactly the same thing, probably, about famous suffragists: 

"Who is Susan B. Anthony?"

"No, the other one."  (Elizabeth Cady Stanton)

But that wouldn't have been nearly as winceworthy (though maybe it should be).

I think what it really highlights is the laziness of the clue writers and also the sad slide of our educational standards.  Because there are just a couple of names in each category that we know to spit out and that we know they'll ask for over and over, and he's acknowledging that.  Which doesn't make it any less oafish of Alex, but  . . .  I guess they'd rather have contestants get things right more than wrong, and that's the easy way to do it.

I hope you were someplace wonderful!

• Love 5

Florence Nightingale AGAIN. It's either Florence or The Other One (Clara)

I just took a "CPR" course by the American Heart Association so I guessed that right. However since the recent guidelines they really don't teach CPR at these courses--very very little and no methodology - there was no "20 compressions 2 breaths" type of thing like I remembered. No check pulse, check for breathing- No assessing just call 911 and start compression if they seem "unresponsive" don't bother taking the heart beat. . The new guidelines just say "do compressions as many as you can" - It was all very vague. Apparently they don't want to get sued so they beat around all the bush say call 911 and do your best. It was more of an emergency first aid course than CPR like I remembered it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, operalover said:

Florence Nightingale AGAIN. It's either Florence or The Other One (Clara)

I just took a "CPR" course by the American Heart Association so I guessed that right. However since the recent guidelines they really don't teach CPR at these courses--very very little and no methodology - there was no "20 compressions 2 breaths" type of thing like I remembered. No check pulse, check for breathing- No assessing just call 911 and start compression if they seem "unresponsive" don't bother taking the heart beat. . The new guidelines just say "do compressions as many as you can" - It was all very vague. Apparently they don't want to get sued so they beat around all the bush say call 911 and do your best. It was more of an emergency first aid course than CPR like I remembered it.

Somewhat off-topic, but the guidelines for CPR have changed recently since having to do the mouth-to-mouth breaths was preventing people from attempting it. So now, it's just compressions, and the faster the better. Also, a lot of people have trouble finding a pulse and waste time trying to do so, so that might be why you're just supposed to start compressions right away.

• Love 2

yes in fact they said forget the breaths unless it is a family member or you have one of these plastic pcs that keeps your mouth off of theirs. And to forget about looking for the pulse- it is hard and wastes time. Just call 911 and get a pumping that chest! 

• Love 1

The brushing off the shoulders seems awfully "braggy" to me...

The first time he did it, I thought it was cute.  Now, not so much.  Heh, though, I always thought Ken Jennings showed great restraint in not showing off.  If I kept winning, at some point I might have gone "in your face losers!!!".

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

You all talking about Buzzy's job of finding the right music makes me wonder if he's responsible for the Subaru commercial with Willie Nelson singing "My buddy, my pal, my friend" lyrics for the guy and his dog going on a bucket list trip. That may be as appropriate a choice of song as I've ever seen used in an ad - makes me cry just thinking about it.  And, I remember what the ad is for which I hardly ever do. I like Buzzy OK but since he's sewn up his TOC position, he can go ahead and move along.  The brushing off the shoulders seems awfully "braggy" to me...

Totally agree with all of this.  Plus, I drive a Subaru and lost a dog not too long ago, so I blubber like a fool whenever it comes on.  Subaru absolutely has my number.

My guess is that Buzzy thinks the shoulder brushing is funny and ironic.  If he'd just done it once, it would've been.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm going to google images of Florence Nightingale and Clara Barton right now so I can tell them apart. .....

OK. That should be easy. Nightingale is usually pictured wearing that lacy hat thing, and Barton has a round face.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

The brushing off the shoulders seems awfully "braggy" to me...

To me as well, especially since he had pretty much won by the skin of his teeth at that time. Poser.

• Love 2

Not a horrible game, although there were some surprising TS.  I'm glad Chris won -- I liked him best. 

Are there really educational conferences at Disney World? 

TS I got were Gucci, radon, Azkaban (Hogwarts?  Really?), dark matter, Stay With Me (although I'm a little sad that I knew that one) and Serengeti.  I should have gotten William Pitt the Younger since he was just in a game recently.

FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 2

I got William Pitt, radon, Gucci and maybe a couple of others.  Another instaget FJ.

I liked Chris too, but I liked all three.  Hope that $11,000 is enough to get the lady on the end into the semi-finals. 

It was a pretty good game, better than a lot of teachers' tournaments I've seen.

• Love 3