Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Sam seems nice enough.

I said F1 and then dismissed it, I have no idea why.

Man Gloria Steinem looks pretty good for her apparent elderly state. Jenny lost me anyways when she said "me and my friends."

• Love 3

Sam seems nice enough.

I said F1 and then dismissed it, I have no idea why.

Man Gloria Steinem looks pretty good for her apparent elderly state. Jenny lost me anyways when she said "me and my friends."

Yes, Steinem was a terrible guess. Ayn Rand is one of those "female authors" who seem to pop up pretty often. I also cringed at "me and my friends," but I also couldn't see choosing Red Velvet Cheesecake as a favorite over dozens of others. And Jenny really lost me when she mixed up the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

No one knew Bye Bye Birdie! I know it was "before their time," but I thought it got revived pretty regularly by school and church youth groups.

The Whitney was another TS, but this one was a bit more understandable unless you live in NYC or follow contemporary art closely.

I had no idea Formula One was an organization!

I like Sam. His story about his little kid quizzing him was really adorable, and I'm not normally into little kid stories!

• Love 4

Sam seems okay, but I liked Ryan.

Yeah, Gloria Steinem was a terrible guess. I knew Ayn Rand and Conrad Birdie. And why don't people know the Chrysler Building? It's lovely and so much more architecturally interesting than the Empire State Building.

Jenny lost me with her uptalk. And then she got a clue about it. Too bad Alex didn't choose that moment to say, "Yes, upspeak or uptalk, just like you do."

I was totally clueless in FJ. Interesting to learn what Formula One means.

• Love 5

Yes, Steinem was a terrible guess. Ayn Rand is one of those "female authors" who seem to pop up pretty often. I also cringed at "me and my friends," but I also couldn't see choosing Red Velvet Cheesecake as a favorite over dozens of others. And Jenny really lost me when she mixed up the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

No one knew Bye Bye Birdie! I know it was "before their time," but I thought it got revived pretty regularly by school and church youth groups.

The Whitney was another TS, but this one was a bit more understandable unless you live in NYC or follow contemporary art closely.

I had no idea Formula One was an organization!

I like Sam. His story about his little kid quizzing him was really adorable, and I'm not normally into little kid stories!

Well, to be fair, Jenny is Canadian and therefore the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building and any number of other major buildings in the US are not something she really would have needed to know or come across in her daily life or schooling. And, the Chrysler Building isn't nearly as well known as the Empire State Building. I could easily see mixing them up, although I would also hope that if you were going on Jeopardy you'd make it a point to learn all of the things that Americans learn in either daily life (e.g. common brands, companies, commercials, slogans, landmarks) or school (e.g. politics and history).

I was surprised nobody knew Bye Bye Birdie though.

I also thought the story about Sam's 4yo kid quizzing him was adorable - it really made me root for him. Hopefully his kid will be proud of his performance.

Have the judges finally settled on misspellings being ok? My viewing is sporadic so I could have missed something but it seems to me it still keeps changing.

I'm sure the military guy is very nice but I found his demeanor annoying. Even Watson was more animated.

Sam seems okay, but I liked Ryan.

Yeah, Gloria Steinem was a terrible guess. I knew Ayn Rand and Conrad Birdie. And why don't people know the Chrysler Building? It's lovely and so much more architecturally interesting than the Empire State Building.

Jenny lost me with her uptalk. And then she got a clue about it. Too bad Alex didn't choose that moment to say, "Yes, upspeak or uptalk, just like you do."

I was totally clueless in FJ. Interesting to learn what Formula One means.

LOL! She seemed to make a more declarative sentence immediately following, so i assume that she is at least somewhat aware that she does it!

I just read a current comic book that had the main character trying out for "Bye Bye Birdie" in high school, so it is not as if no one knows the musical anymore.

I choose to believe that Ayn Rand would be spinning in her grave over the comparison to Gloria Steinem! Unlike most of the schools in the U.S. MY class read "We The Living" rather than "Fountainhead" or "Atlas Shrugged"!

• Love 1

Have the judges finally settled on misspellings being ok? My viewing is sporadic so I could have missed something but it seems to me it still keeps changing.

I'm sure the military guy is very nice but I found his demeanor annoying. Even Watson was more animated.

The "rule" is that if it is spelled in a way that does not change the pronunciation, it is acceptable.

• Love 3

I didn't know what Formula One racing was either.

I forgot that the character in Bye Bye Birdie was named Birdie. Duh.

I knew the one answer was Ayn Rand, but I always stumble on how to pronounce her name. I was saying aloud to my sister, "Ann Rand. Eye-n Rind. Ahn Rahnd..." 

I did terrible in the river category. I wonder if Sam's son's quizzing helped him with those.

• Love 3

When Sam forgot the title of the rivers category and thus guessed Snake River, it seemed like there was a comment from Alex that was edited for time.  It cuts from the military contestant’s correct answer to a brief glimpse of Sam laughing to Alex telling the military dude something along the lines of “back to you.”

Kirsten Gillibrand as a TS made me sad.

Gloria Steinem was a stupid answer on just about every level.

FJ was one of those clues I got by knowing precious little.  It was obviously pointing to auto racing, something I know almost nothing about, so I started shuffling through all two or three names I associate with it.  Formula One sounded like it best fit the clue, so that’s what I went with.  The epitome of a lucky guess.

• Love 3

I love, love, love Brittany Howard, but was really surprised to see her come up as a clue on Jeopardy. She seems a little obscure for Jeopardy.

I ended up spending the rest of the evening listening to Alabama Shakes and skipped my usual Wednesday shows. It was worth it.

• Love 3

Last night's game was rather hit or miss for me, though I did well in Debut Novels.  I'm thrilled, however, to have gotten the FJ.  Not because I am an afficionado of Formula 1, although if I'm going to watch auto racing, it's F1 since it's not just turning left for hours on end, but because it was one time when I didn't overthink an answer.  The clue obviously referred to auto racing, and I know what NASCAR stands for so I immediately thought "Formula 1", but then I started to wonder if the clue wanted something that wasn't the actual name of the sport.  Fortunately I just stuck with my first impulse.  Yay!

I do know something about Formula 1, though, having watched the 24 Hours of Le Mans on tv (among other events) when I was a kid, and also having seen some of the recent/current drivers on Top Gear.  Seriously, I've seen Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button often enough that I think I could pick them both out of lineups.  Definitely would recognize LH on the street.

All I could come up with was "hideous carbuncle".

• Love 2

Kirsten Gillibrand as a TS made me sad.

She's not my senator, but I do pay attention to politics, and think she's very recognizable.  But didn't pompous Alex mistakenly call her Kristen instead of Kirsten?

She's not my senator, but I do pay attention to politics, and think she's very recognizable.  But didn't pompous Alex mistakenly call her Kristen instead of Kirsten?

I didn't notice, but I thought her name was Kristen anyway, so . . . I answered Elizabeth Warren for that clue.

Edited by proserpina65

I really don't have a lot to say about this episode, which kinda makes me happy, since that means I wasn't overly annoyed by any of the contestants.  I did get thrown a bit by FJ, since as I understand it, the "formula" in F1 is the sum total of the specs to which the cars must conform, not just safety-related ones.  But, as Alex said, the clue did steer you (ha!) toward something automotive, and F1 kinda fell out from that.

• Love 1
Kirsten Gillibrand as a TS made me sad

She is my senator and I wouldn't recognize her if I bumped into her. 

Took a lucky guess on Formula One. Somehow made the connection w/racing, and backed into the correct answer. 

Edited by how55
  • Love 1

Giant's enemy=instaget fj here. Too easy, imo, and in all yours', I bet!

Sorry to see Sam go, and really liked baldy. But I've warmed up to Mike, now that he appears to be "unwinding" a bit!

I thought it was super easy also, although I did wonder if they wanted "Michelangelo's David."

Good game-- three pleasant fellows and very few TS's. I wasn't thrilled by Mike's folded arms, but I loved his childhood notion that Alex Trebek was on the penny.

• Love 2

Oh my gosh.  I love Mike.  I loved his comeback to Alex about shaving his head (yes, I'll do it in the break before DJ).  I loved his story about thinking it was Alex on the penny.  I loved him hiding the buzzer with his arms folded across his chest. He's hilarious (in a good way).

FJ should have been in the kids tournament. 

• Love 4

Mike needs to unfold his arms or I will refuse to look at him for however long he is on.

LOL - I was wondering if Mike was a reader of this forum and pre-sanitizing his mannerisms to avoid criticism. 

• Love 4
Oh my gosh.  I love Mike.  I loved his comeback to Alex about shaving his head (yes, I'll do it in the break before DJ).  I loved his story about thinking it was Alex on the penny.  I loved him hiding the buzzer with his arms folded across his chest. He's hilarious (in a good way).

I enjoyed him too, plus (bonus!) he bears a resemblance to David Tennant, IMO. Something in his facial features. I was very happy he won. 

• Love 6

I almost talked myself OUT of David, because I could not believe FJ would be that easy! As with previous posters, I liked Mike almost immediately, and his interview sealed the deal. I was surprised he missed Byron, though I was happy he gave the full title of The Fall Of The House Of Usher. I hope he continues.

• Love 6

Mike's crossed arms were off-putting, but he seems pleasant and sure is very nice eye candy. I do think he should have been dinged for his answer of Tan-zinniah (sounded like a flower) instead of Tanzania.

I knew that Flushing Meadows is in Queens and was shocked no one knew King Edward VIII.

I, too, almost talked myself out of David because it seemed way too obvious.

Overall it was a good enjoyable game.

• Love 5

Mike needs to unfold his arms or I will refuse to look at him for however long he is on.

During Jeopardy, I'm either crocheting or playing Candy Crush making me blissfully unaware of most of the contestants' annoying mannerisms.  The Bartlett Sher category made me feel as dumb as a stump.

• Love 2

Giant's enemy=instaget fj here. Too easy, imo, and in all yours', I bet!

Sorry to see Sam go, and really liked baldy. But I've warmed up to Mike, now that he appears to be "unwinding" a bit!

I thought it was super easy also, although I did wonder if they wanted "Michelangelo's David."

I was all "Which David?  Donatello's, Michelangelo's or, my personal favorite, Bernini's?" - I mean, I knew which one but was being a smartass who'd taken too many art history courses.

I liked all three contestants last night.  Any of the three could've won and I wouldn't have complained.  That has to be some kind of first!  (On a shallow note, the new champ reminds me of Noah Wylie, so he can stay awhile.)

I think he must be one of those people (like me) who never really knows what to do with their arms.  If I'm standing for any amount of time, I either cross them or stick my hands in my pockets; not sure if it's a comfort thing or an awkward thing.

• Love 2

The only issue I had with the guy on the end is that he seemed to be naturally a loud talker and would startle me every time he spoke.

I mean, he wasn't as loud as JOSH obviously, but it was noticeable because the other two guys were relatively soft-spoken.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

The only issue I had with the guy on the end is that he seemed to be naturally a loud talker and would startle me every time he spoke.

I mean, he wasn't as loud as JOSH obviously, but it was noticeable because the other two guys were relatively soft-spoken.

Thank you so much for reminding me of JOSH! I will make sure to write him into my Thanksgiving speech about what I'm thankful for...him being off my television :)

• Love 3

That’s how I would stand as a contestant; for me, it’s the most comfortable way of holding the buzzer.

I was watching football, so only saw the show in little snippets during breaks in the game.  The Queens TS surprised me, too, but I can’t figure out why I thought that would be more common knowledge.  Seeing some of you saw the wording threw you, maybe that’s what happened.

I tuned back in for FJ, and just sort of stared at the TV, thinking, “That can’t really be a FJ clue, can it?

• Love 3

Did anyone catch Alex's little joke about Inspector Maigret?  When the answer to a clue was "May Gray" he repeated it and then said "Inspector May Gray".  I thought it was a little odd but I guess he likes those books.

• Love 2

Well, we have two weeks before we have to hear that VOICE again.  When regular Jeopardy comes back on, I'll have to use the closed captioning.  Otherwise, I'll throw something at the TV. 

Another ridiculously easy FJ, obviously designed for Kid's  Week. 

• Love 3

Mike writes romance novels?

Like Mike, I guessed "Northwest Passage" on that first DD.

While watching this episode, I thought: the commenters at PreviouslyTV will not like Laura's speech patterns.

Oh well, now we have to wait two weeks until we hear more of of Laura's vocal inflections.

• Love 8

Not even done with the episode, and this Laura woman in the middle has this crazy Valley-girl voice going on. "New Kids on the Block, six hun-dreeeehhd." My husband and I just laughed our asses off the whole time.

• Love 12

Not even done with the episode, and this Laura woman in the middle has this crazy Valley-girl voice going on. "New Kids on the Block, six hun-dreeeehhd." My husband and I just laughed our asses off the whole time.

Are you there God, it's me, Zaldamo.    JOSH! is somewhere covering his ears right now.    Why would you do this to us?   What have we done to deserve this woman's vocal fry.  Pleaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  make her stop saying things ending in hundreeee---ee'd. 

First giggle of the episode came for Alex's pronunciation of the green casserole pot.  Of course it was French.  Of course.

She just said Cowbooooooys and  Romeooooooo.  

• Love 9