Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: Dish of a Lifetime and Pilots

• Start Topic

Either I zoned out, too, or the only showed him proposing to do it, and tasting it. I don't even remember him saying what he was going to do that would make it Cajun, and I was looking for the Cajun waffles, because I read the thread here first before I watched the episode. Maybe it'll show up in the longer version next week.

Someone in the other thread was speculating that maybe Guy Fieri wants to stop doing DDD, and that Jay would be a natural to take on that role. I actually thought Eddie filled that role a little better - so much so, though, that I was thinking - no! What a waste of him that would be.  He is good around other people, but more natural when he's a more relaxed presence rather than channeling Guy's more manic persona. Him hanging out with other people while cooking in a kitchen was more pleasant to watch than him bantering with a chef who's trying to show off their dish, in their own crowded small restaurant kitchen. 

But, pretty sure I'm not the target audience, so . . . 

• Love 3

Either I zoned out, too, or the only showed him proposing to do it, and tasting it. I don't even remember him saying what he was going to do that would make it Cajun, and I was looking for the Cajun waffles, because I read the thread here first before I watched the episode. Maybe it'll show up in the longer version next week.

That was my impression too. 

I'm pretty sure the network said the contestants were going to "make the pilots of their dreams" and not "achieve their dreams by making the pilot we tell them to make." 

Color me annoyed. Food Network has been developing fewer and fewer actual cooking shows in favor of food tourism. It was only a matter of time before they all but announced that cooking chops really don't matter when it comes to FNS. 

And yet, I keep watching. 

I thought it was kind of sweet, how frightened Eddie looked when he thought he was going to get axed. His eyes even welled up with tears. I expected it from Arnold, who has always been emotional, but not Eddie. 

I don't really get the Dom or Jay hate - but I also don't really see them as stars. For that matter, none of the contenders have shown me anything I really want to watch. Then again, I think I'm not really in the Food Network demographic anymore. Given that I'm more interested in cooking food than in watching people eat.

• Love 2

What a bizarre and pointless season. Just put all three of them on the same show. If all they are doing is traveling around then why not have them each find the best of whatever it is they represent in a new city each week. All three have charisma and get along well with each other. With regard to the travel and taste model, they're never going to be as good as Guy (not that I can stand him), but they're probably going to be better than Paula's sons (thank god I don't have to hear their trailer anymore with the larger Dean boy pronouncing food as, "fee-yood."

• Love 3

Was thinking about it a bit more (why, I have no idea), and if Eddie wanted to go "Caribbean", he could do a travel show going to different neghborhoods in different cities and looking at the food offered there.  Maybe even go to the islands themselves.  Haitian food one day, Bahamian the next.   He can even look at how the same thing is made different ways on the different islands.   It's not that difficult.  If they want someone to come up with a storyboard for the first season, I am available.   I am on mat leave soon so will have some time to spare :).

I didn't have to even watch Star Salvation to know Dom was coming back. I guess he really is a good Chef, so I will give Giada and Bobby the benefit of the doubt and say they are interested in good cooks. Eddie has a more natural personality than the other two so I could see him hosting a show. Jay doesn't interact well with people and seems too rehearsed and I don't know why Dom wants a show so badly when he gets so nervous on TV. 

We definitely don't need any more shows about visiting restaurants, it's been done to death. It would make more sense to me to have them pitch shows which would showcase their cooking talents, but what do I know?

• Love 1

I'd watch Eddie because Eddie is so watchable. This stupid network decided that personality was the main ingredient in a show host, rather than cooking chops, and this bunch is the result.

Part of me hopes Dom or Jay win because then there won't be any temptation to tune in. Not to their shows nor to the upcoming Dom Joins Giada in Italy special or Jay Jokes with Food Fryers on The Cooking Channel.

• Love 2

I agree with everyone that more travel around shows aren't needed.  I hope they just assigned the pilots so all three guys could be compared in similar situations.  My favorite was Arnold but I won't be disappointed by whoever wins because I'm not invested in one contestant like I was back in Jeff Mauro's season.  Jay does everything well but he's too infomercial and he looks sloppy.  Eddie is cute and personable.  I have nothing against Dom but I sure don't get his attraction over on the FN boards.  He's nice looking but nothing special.  When I read Jeff Mauro's recap of the show, I was surprised to read that Dom was on Rewrapped and won.  That must be where FN found him.  I watched all the episodes of that show because I like Joey Fatone and Marc Summers but I don't remember Dom.  But then... I don't remember most of the contestants. 

• Love 5

Someone in the other thread was speculating that maybe Guy Fieri wants to stop doing DDD

Wow, something Guy and I can agree on.  I want him to stop doing DDD too.  Or more accurately, I just want DDD to stop.  Seriously, FN is like a crack addict that needs an intervention.

• Love 4

I just can't imagine that Guy is looking to stop doing Triple D or even if he were that any of these guys would be able to replace him.  I think he'd be a tough act to follow and they would retire the show altogether and start with something new.  Not that I don't wish there was less of Guy on the network, mind you.  Plus I don't take the pilot format as a sign that they're giving the winner a travel show.  I don't see them deviating from what they've done in previous years.  I can see the winner doing the Jeff Mauro format where he goes to a place then cooks the food in his kitchen, though.

I just feel like this entire season has been yet another disappointment.  In most other seasons I thought there seemed to be a clear favorite with the public and a clear standout winner but not so in this one.  Maybe the person they pick will be up for the job and not either get disqualified for some reason (like JAG and Lenny) or crap out (like Amy F. and Justin), but I somehow can't see them being a huge sensation for the network like Guy was.  I can't even see them being a moderate sensation, but I suppose anything's possible.  I didn't like Jeff in his season but have come around to liking him so I'll at least give the winner a chance.

Sad to see Arnold go -- what a "lovebug" he is and a little snarky too -- great combo.  Not surprised he was eliminated, but so glad to have gotten to know him on this show.  Feel that we'll see him again.

Too bad Aunt Sandy (Lee) is gone. The combination of his highly visual food, and her "tablescapes" would've been a natural. She had Reggie, the black gay guy who lost in the final to Guy Fieri, as a guest,  and they were very sweet together.

I too have wondered about Eddie's Caribbean POV. He's from Texas, and has never mentioned living in the Caribbean. If he had parents or grandparents from the islands, you'd think he'd have mentioned it. (Especially given how this show loves family stories). So my guess is that while playing for the Dolphins he was exposed to Caribbean cooking in south Florida.

In any event, I agree with others that his knowledge of Caribbean cooking has never seemed that deep or convincing. I'm not an expert, but I've done some travelling down there, and the real thing is definitely not just about adding "heat." Not even all Jamaican food uses jerk seasoning or peppers.

Not being familiar about a cuisine from a particular part of the world allows you to get away with generalizations. There's a lot of Italian cooking on FN and elsewhere, so we're used to hearing about different regional cooking styles within Italy. Sometimes it's even as specific as a dish being associated with a particular city. But "The Caribbean" as a region takes in multiple countries, and a variety of cultural and culinary influences (French, Spanish etc). as well as food that goes back to African roots. The cuisines of Trinidad, Haiti, and Barbados, just to name a few, are all strikingly different.

Well, given that FN is now about 95% devoted to setting huge hunks of red meat on fire, I'm not holding my breath for a show on Caribbean cooking. Even serious shows about Mexican cooking (another country in which there are major regional differences) don't seem to have a chance anymore.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7

I want to apologize about how harsh I was about Dom. It's one thing to be aggressively snotty about a fictional character, like, say, Lady Edith, but I should remember this a real person I'm talking about, no matter if I like him or the show.

• Love 4

I too have wondered about Eddie's Caribbean POV. He's from Texas, and has never mentioned living in the Caribbean. If he had parents or grandparents from the islands, you'd think he'd have mentioned it. (Especially given how this show loves family stories). So my guess is that while playing for the Dolphins he was exposed to Caribbean cooking in south Florida.

In any event, I agree with others that his knowledge of Caribbean cooking has never seemed that deep or convincing. I'm not an expert, but I've done some travelling down there, and the real thing is definitely not just about adding "heat." Not even all Jamaican food uses jerk seasoning or peppers.

Well, given that FN is now about 95% devoted to setting huge hunks of red meat on fire, I'm not holding my breath for a show on Caribbean cooking. Even serious shows about Mexican cooking (another country in which there are major regional differences) don't seem to have a chance anymore.

I quickly scanned back because I couldn't remember Eddie doing anyhing Caribbean-influenced when he was on MasterChef and that his forte there was definitely grilling and meats. It looks like he did a "Jerk" meatloaf for his audition dish (perhaps similar to his meatballs here?) but that was it. And I agree - his knowledge about Caribbean food and its variety has not shown through at all here - not that the silly stunt challenges and time-restrictions really have given him a chance, admittedly. But Jay has shown off more knowledge of Cajun cuisine and Dom more of Italian than I've gotten any sense of experiese from Eddie, and I say this as someone who loves Caribbean food, has travelled to numerous islands repeatedly and owns quite a few cookbooks on the subject.

Honestly for Eddie I like the idea someone mentioned of him going around to sports team tailgates, maybe with his food truck, and getting the chance to spotlight different foods around the country that way. Tailgating in Green Bay is far different from in Dallas and in Philadelphia. He could get a chance to talk with different current players, even. I think that would be a fun show and put him more in his element.

• Love 3

Eddie's POV when he started out was Cheat Day... cooking dishes that tasted like high-calorie food, but were actually healthy and good for you. So you could feel like you were cheating on your diet. But for some stupid reason I'll never understand, Giada and Bobby panned that idea. They are clueless. They steered him toward Caribbean, or to "come up with something else".

• Love 4

Jay does everything well but he's too infomercial and he looks sloppy.  

That's it! Especially the part I bolded. He comes across as if he's trying to sell something. I want to be instructed, and while one might argue (especially if "one" is in sales) that there is an education component in some sales, he really comes across as if he's trying too hard to convince me. Just do a show-and-tell, Jay, not a sales pitch.

• Love 1

"Cheat Day" feels to me like a nice "modern" way to package the kind of classic cooking show with no real culinary theme -- when he makes something healthy, it's a program day,but he's not locked into Healthy Cooking as his theme.   

• Love 1
Honestly for Eddie I like the idea someone mentioned of him going around to sports team tailgates, maybe with his food truck, and getting the chance to spotlight different foods around the country that way. Tailgating in Green Bay is far different from in Dallas and in Philadelphia. He could get a chance to talk with different current players, even. I think that would be a fun show and put him more in his element.

He'd be good at that but I'd still like to see him do a show that mixes food and fitness. Picture the first part of the show being him prepping some meal that takes an hour or so in the oven or on the stove to finish with the second half him demonstrating part of his daily routine of exercises in the backyard (maybe with some "neighborhood" kids that he's running through drills) and the last segment is everyone coming back into the house for lunch. A recipe or two in the first half; an exercise tip or two in the second half and you've got a show. He could even have nutritionists, old team mates, random friends or whoever coming in to bounce dialogue off each other.

• Love 5

I somehow can't see them being a huge sensation for the network like Guy was.

Guy was lightening in a bottle and they'll never find another powerhouse like him. 

It's all about money.  Who they can monetize into a 22 minute break between commercials and advertising.  The POV doesn't really matter, the person doesn't really matter and the "theme" of the show doesn't really matter.  All 3 guys have enough characteristics checked off the list to become a modest "star" on FN for as long as they're willing to play the game the Network wants them to play.  Because M.O.N.E.Y. is the driving force.  

I'd watch & listen to Eddie, but not Jay or Dom.  I just have no interest them as personalities or as cooks.  Not a hater of either, I'd just switch channels if they came on.   

• Love 1

Jay seems like a nice enough guy, but his presentations seem disingenuous to me - He looooves everything that he cooks/tastes.  Everything is his favorite thing.

"OH DEAR GOD!" [/Frasier voice and shocked face] Someone please tell me why JAH-dah was wearing a black lace window treatment? WHY GOD? WHY?

I think she was going for the "Sexy widow" look.  Why? I have no idea.

Eddie's POV when he started out was Cheat Day... cooking dishes that tasted like high-calorie food, but were actually healthy and good for you. So you could feel like you were cheating on your diet. But for some stupid reason I'll never understand, Giada and Bobby panned that idea. They are clueless. They steered him toward Caribbean, or to "come up with something else".

Maybe they couldn't find any restaurants with healthy, good tasting food to visit in New York. 

It seemed like Jay and Eddie changed their POV every episode, but I think FN can take the blame for that - the challenges made it difficult to show their point of view sometimes (Jay cooks an afterschool snack?).  On the other hand, Bobby and Giada didn't seem to harp on the POV of Jay or Eddie, I guess because they knew in the end it wouldn't really matter. 

Arnold did start to falter at the end (at least as far as what they showed us), but I wonder if part of the reason he didn't get a pilot was that his POV (entertaining) didn't go with the travel and taste concept.  What would he have done in his pilot - go to a restaurant and marvel at how well they arranged the food on a plate? - pick up some take-out and show how to set it up for your party that night? - show some chef how he could make his food prettier?

Jay seems like a nice enough guy, but his presentations seem disingenuous to me - He looooves everything that he cooks/tastes.  Everything is his favorite thing.

I think she was going for the "Sexy widow" look.  Why? I have no idea.

Maybe they couldn't find any restaurants with healthy, good tasting food to visit in New York. 

It seemed like Jay and Eddie changed their POV every episode, but I think FN can take the blame for that - the challenges made it difficult to show their point of view sometimes (Jay cooks an afterschool snack?).  On the other hand, Bobby and Giada didn't seem to harp on the POV of Jay or Eddie, I guess because they knew in the end it wouldn't really matter. 

Arnold did start to falter at the end (at least as far as what they showed us), but I wonder if part of the reason he didn't get a pilot was that his POV (entertaining) didn't go with the travel and taste concept.  What would he have done in his pilot - go to a restaurant and marvel at how well they arranged the food on a plate? - pick up some take-out and show how to set it up for your party that night? - show some chef how he could make his food prettier?

First of all, everyone, forget the "travel and taste" concept. That was something they threw at all three of them to do a pilot with, so they'd all be on a level playing field. We know that FN isn't going to spend the money sending them anywhere but a small studio set for 6 episodes to see if they fly or not. After they've been around a while, if they last, THEN they might get to travel a bit. Guy didn't come onto FN with DDD, he came on with Guy's Big Bite (or whatever it was called) doing a stand-and-stir in a studio.

Eddie could have done his Cheat Day concept in any restaurant. Go in there, find out what their best dish is, and then rework it so that it's healthy. He has lost his POV due to the powers that be constantly telling him they don't get it.

• Love 5

Eddie could have done his Cheat Day concept in any restaurant. Go in there, find out what their best dish is, and then rework it so that it's healthy. He has lost his POV due to the powers that be constantly telling him they don't get it.

I am not sure how many restaurants would want a guy coming in and pointing out how unhealthy their food is.

• Love 4

I am not sure how many restaurants would want a guy coming in and pointing out how unhealthy their food is.

That's actually pretty much the elevator pitch for the Cooking Channel show with Bobby Deen and Nikki DInki.  So long as you give the restaurant publicity and praise the taste of their unhealthy food, the owners seem to take it in good spirits.

• Love 1

First of all, everyone, forget the "travel and taste" concept. That was something they threw at all three of them to do a pilot with, so they'd all be on a level playing field. We know that FN isn't going to spend the money sending them anywhere but a small studio set for 6 episodes to see if they fly or not. After they've been around a while, if they last, THEN they might get to travel a bit. Guy didn't come onto FN with DDD, he came on with Guy's Big Bite (or whatever it was called) doing a stand-and-stir in a studio.

Thank you, ten thousand times this with exclamation points!!  Plus I know I'm a broken record with this, but after the 6 initial episodes they could also do a "best of both worlds" like Jeff's concept where in one show he first visits a restaurant to see how they make their signature dish, then he goes back to the studio/kitchen to show us how to make something similar at home.  I'm sure that's a reason Jeff earned at least one Emmy nomination that I know of, because the concept was a good one.

• Love 3

Not unhealthy, but a lighter version with less calories. 

But in his context that's not "Cheat Day".  In dieting/fitness terms all week you eat lettuce and bark or all raw meat or whatever fad you're following and once a week you get a "Cheat Day" where you can eat whatever you want.  In that context I could see his original idea working, where there might be a temptation to wolf down a quart of cherry cheesecake ice cream with sprinkles, he could show you something that will get you near to the same place with tricked out frozen yogurt and you still get your cheat day but work it back off in two workouts rather than 12. And you could still have sprinkles because geez, 20 calories, right?  Go ahead and cheat.

• Love 4

How embarrassing for the contestants who were eliminated early to be trotted out and then not picked as sous chefs. It's like, maybe you haven't been humiliated enough, so here's another dose. It makes sense that the most recently eliminated chefs would get picked, because the finalists know them better and have had more opportunity to work with them on various challenges. Did anyone believe for a second that they were going to pick, for example, that tall woman whose name I can't event remember. (case in point)

Of the "also-rans" the only one I thought might get picked was Rosa by Dom, as she's the other New York area Italian chef. So it was kind of particularly embarrassing for her that she was passed up for Matthew.

I totally agree with the Billy Mays-infomercial spokesman comparisons for Jay. But the other thing he reminds me of is the type of sportscaster (typically in football) who is always shouting and trying to make everything sound super important and dramatic. Since Jay is in radio, and has talked a lot about going to football games in college, I bet there's a good chance he has done some sports along the way.

I find that type of sportscaster really exhausting to listen to. Which is how I find Jay.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

I get the impression that FN really didn't care that much about POVs this season. They made passing references to it, but didn't really try to sharpen the contestants' focus as much as in previous seasons. Jay is Cajun because that's what he knows. Same with Dom and Italian. Eddie finds himself flip flopping between "cheat day" and Caribbean because that's what he knows, but hasn't really been pushed to choose one by Giada, Bobby or The Network.

I think FN decided "We'll pick the winner, and then we'll figure out their POV."

• Love 6
Just put all three of them on the same show. If all they are doing is traveling around then why not have them each find the best of whatever it is they represent in a new city each week.

That's actually a pretty clever idea.  It would be way better than an entire half-hour devoted to the same damn thing all the time.  Of course, then they would have to pay three people instead of one, so it's never happening.

thank god I don't have to hear their trailer anymore with the larger Dean boy pronouncing food as, "fee-yood.”

A lot of people do this, even without the southern accent.  I know I've noticed it from Rachael Ray, Katie Lee, and some others just on the Food Network alone.  It's not “food”, it's “fyood”.  It's not “moon”, it's “myoon”.  I don't know exactly where that inflection infects, because if you're from Michigan/Ohio you say things like “byalance”.  So it's both northern and southern.

I missed this show and will catch it Thursday.  I read the comments here so I am not sure , I may wait for the finale.  ;)  

If their objective is to have a new host for a travel/food tasting show, why not set it up that way or at least state that is the mission?  

I am not into anyone this season.  I loved Damaris and she is a hard act to follow.  Adorable woman. 

I really don't care who wins, I only watch the food competition shows.  I usually have a favorite but not this time.  

Rue petered out on her POV.  She talked a lot about Zimbabwe but it didn't seem to show up in her food.  Perhaps if she had used the spices in regular fare to change it, she might have succeeded.  A steak or pork rub with those flavor profiles, maybe.  I am not ever sure what they are.  Did she ever say?  She was the only one who perked my interest at first. 

Italian and BBQ are overly done and hold zero interest for me.  BBQ is easy; everyone does that every summer on their grill.  Chicken parm is on every pizza joints menu.  blah  How much food covered in tomato sauce does someone need or want?

Rue seemed to be the most improved of the crew. But agree with wings707 about a lack of POV. But I really liked her presentations and was sorry she did not advance. Dom did appear to be pre-ordained.

Infomercial is perfect descriptor for Jay. Though used car salesman works for me too.

I never really got Eddie's Cheat Day concept. I guess when I have a cheat day I CHEAT!! But I would like a show with a healthier cooking concept. And I like Eddie.

Dom. Damn. JawDuh did everything but wriggle in her seat when she talked to him.

I wonder how long RR had to spend with each of them. Dom seems to be really labor-intensive for production

How embarrassing for the contestants who were eliminated early to be trotted out and then not picked as sous chefs. It's like, maybe you haven't been humiliated enough, so here's another dose.

I thought it was very middle school picking teams for basketball. I didn't like it one bit.  I think it would have been better to only bring out the last four from Star Salvation.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

I thought it was very middle school picking teams for basketball. I didn't like it one bit. I think it would have been better to only bring out the last four from Star Salvation.

Plus, they showed up dessed to the nines! Christina could have been x-rated.

Wonder if they knew they might be cookin'.

I hate that team pick thing and so many shows do it!

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

This show isn't known for being nice. If Christina did get picked, it would have been interesting watching her cook in the outfit she had on.

Fairest way to do it would be bring out the last 4, put names in a hat and they draw for their sous chef.

• Love 6

He'd be good at that but I'd still like to see him do a show that mixes food and fitness. Picture the first part of the show being him prepping some meal that takes an hour or so in the oven or on the stove to finish with the second half him demonstrating part of his daily routine of exercises in the backyard (maybe with some "neighborhood" kids that he's running through drills) and the last segment is everyone coming back into the house for lunch. A recipe or two in the first half; an exercise tip or two in the second half and you've got a show. He could even have nutritionists, old team mates, random friends or whoever coming in to bounce dialogue off each other.

From your mouth to FN's ears. I'd totally watch that show.

Interns, pass this on!

• Love 1

This show isn't known for being nice. If Christina did get picked, it would have been interesting watching her cook in the outfit she had on.

I couldn't figure out what was going on with Christina's fashion choice. Did the producers just swoop in and drag her off the beach on an "off" day?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

"Christina", right, thanks for the reminder. What I remember about her (vaguely) is that she seemed even more uncomfortable on camera than Dom, as if she could not even force herself to smile. And yes, interesting wardrobe choice the other night. It was an attention-getter, for all 12 seconds she was on the screen.

I like the idea mentioned above of having multiple hosts sharing a "travel and taste" show. In my fantasies, FN would use that approach to replace Guy Fieri on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives." What about a trio of Eddie (whether he wins FNS or not), Adam Gertler (still my favorite FN contestant, and a natural with people), and Kelsey Nixon. (Would be nice to see a woman doing at least some episodes, and she's very personable and I think would be great interacting with the cooks/owners).

Well, I can dream, right?

Edited by bluepiano

"Christina", right, thanks for the reminder. What I remember about her (vaguely) is that she seemed even more uncomfortable on camera than Dom, as if she could not even force herself to smile. And yes, interesting wardrobe choice the other night. It was an attention-getter, for all 12 seconds she was on the screen.

Boy, I thought I was paying attention, but I don't remember what she wore at all. I remember looking at the sad three who didn't make the cut, but apparently I was fashion blind after trying to make sense out of Giada's black doily.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Boy, I thought I was paying attention, but I don't remember what she wore at all. I remember looking at the sad three who didn't make the cut, but apparently I was fashion blind after trying to make sense out of Giada's black doily.

Oh Lord. It was a piece of fabric barely covering her breasts at the top and lady bits at the bottom.

Arnold was really growing on me. I wish he had not been booted.

Still loathe Mathew

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4

I thought "Cheat Day" was him cooking good, normal food that some might consider a "cheat" if they starve themselves on other days.  

I do not recall him defining it as you stated, or for that matter, ever really defining it at all.

I like the idea mentioned above of having multiple hosts sharing a "travel and taste" show. In my fantasies, FN would use that approach to replace Guy Fieri on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives." What about a trio of Eddie (whether he wins FNS or not), Adam Gertler (still my favorite FN contestant, and a natural with people), and Kelsey Nixon. (Would be nice to see a woman doing at least some episodes, and she's very personable and I think would be great interacting with the cooks/owners).

Well, I can dream, right?

That's what Kelsey's doing on her Cooking Channel show, "Kelsey's Basics". Sometimes she just cooks, but other times she visits places, learns what they do, and then reproduces them for the show. I really like her show. Obviously Bobby Flay liked her, since he's an Exec Producer and his production company is doing her show.

I agree.  It's not Jay himself, it's the way he presents.  He sounds like a used car salesman on a commercial, and sounds just about as sincere.  He also doesn't make me want to buy what he's selling.  I like Eddie and Dom just about evenly although I am not crazy about anyone this year.  The last time I liked someone enough to root for them was when Jeff Mauro was on.  Jeff can sound like a used car salesman sometimes but whatever he's selling I'm buying!

• Love 5

Boy, I thought I was paying attention, but I don't remember what she wore at all. I remember looking at the sad three who didn't make the cut, but apparently I was fashion blind after trying to make sense out of Giada's black doily.

lol I thought the same thing. I was watching the 3 and feeling bad for them, so I missed what they were wearing apparently. Although I was trying to figure out what funeral Giada was coming from too. I think the only outfit I noticed was hashtag guy's bowtie because I thought it was so ridiculous. I guess I'm just not a fashion person.

• Love 2

I would actually LOVE a food show focused on the art of plating, because that's what it really can be - an art form. And Arnold certainly had a lot of skill in that regard. But, truthfully, that's probably too much to expect on Food Network at this point and maybe better as a short series or one-off special, not a concept that would fly for a longer series.

• Love 4

I thought "Cheat Day" was him cooking good, normal food that some might consider a "cheat" if they starve themselves on other days.  

I do not recall him defining it as you stated, or for that matter, ever really defining it at all.

When I hear Cheat Day, I think of this: the-rock-diet.jpg

• Love 2

I can't believe this show is winding up so fast. Bye, bye, Arnold.  I grew to like you a lot.  So long, Alex.  Keep traveling!

I'm not certain that we're seeing the real Jay.  He comes off to me as having  a rehearsed personality.

Eddie and Dom, you're both originals!  I love you both and would happily watch either one of you.  This is the year to award two winners, FN.  I favor one slightly over the other, but can he win?  This waiting is such a killer!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1