Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: Dish of a Lifetime and Pilots

• Start Topic

The winner of Star Salvation rejoins the competition, and the remaining four Finalists each choose a sous chef from the eliminated contestants to help them cook the best dish of their lives. Following their presentations, Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay, Susie Fogelson and Bob Tuschman will determine which three Finalists will get to film pilots directed by special guest Rachael Ray.

The winner of Star Salvation rejoins the competition, and the remaining four Finalists each choose a sous chef from the eliminated contestants to help them cook the best dish of their lives.

After the mess that Penny Davidi (I apologize for typing her name) created when she was sous to Amy Finley, I'm surprised they still do this. 

• Love 2

A reminder that the entire run of Star Salvation will air in the hour before this show. You won't know who won it until they walk through the doors on this episode.

Please comment about the SS show in that thread instead of here when the time comes, thanks!!

I'll reopen this tomorrow evening, I didn't want the thread to get loaded with speculation.

Well, of course the prediction by most of who would return was correct.  And now he has overcome bad pasta dough and Matthew as well as his nerves, to do a decent job,  The editors were really working overtime to make it look like he was a disaster only for him to come through it.

ETA:  And of course the comeback kid sails through to make a pilot.  

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 3

What. the. FUCK.   Oh yes, Dom just magically got better after doing one presentation in Star Salvation....after weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks of whiffing every damn presentation he did, without fail, variation or improvement.  And of course he gets passed along after a single flub in his presentation....that totally didn't come off as scripted/planed.   Nope, not at all.

I'm assuming Arnold wasn't allowed to incorporate his alter ego because who has time for hair and makeup (and green screens, except for those awful ones they're using in the New York talking heads to make us thing they blend with the ones shot in LA).  But since that's Arnold's hook, he had no chance of winning this.  Undoubtedly, he and non-Medusa Suzie will show up somewhere, sometime on FN.  They can't leave the Drag Race demo untapped. 

And the hell?  Jay's pilot is for a travel n taste show?  You mean the kind of show they give to also rans like Adam Gertler and Tom Pizzica?  We're not even going perpetuate the pretense of finding a cooking star anymore FN?  Of course given how blatant they were with Dom, why bother pretending about anything else.

• Love 8

Oh, God, it's chicken and waffles week everywhere (masterchef last Wednesday). Enough already! Even though that particular version sounds ok. Did they coordinate with Gordon Ramsay?

When IHOP is on the bandwagon, and Popeye's version (waffle-flavored coating rather than actual waffles) was three years ago, it is time to cut it out on network TV shows. Has Taco Bell done a fried chicken waffle taco yet? I would assume the only thing stopping them is lack of fryer space for the chicken - they've already complicated things enough with the "fancy" offerings from whatever celebrity chef gave her name to some pricier fare there. . 

• Love 4

It is hard to believe that this season is almost over.  This one seems to have passed quickly for me.

I am guessing we will see Arnold's drag queen persona on the finale.

I do not watch other shows like Masterchef so I was glad to see the Chicken and Waffles and like that Jay was in the kitchen and they developed Jay's Cajun version of the dish.

What happened to his Cajun POV? They will not let him out of the studio, and if he thinks they will he'll be on the Justin Warner train.

He mentioned Cajun when he asked the restaurant owner if he had a Cajun version of Chicken and Waffles and the owner said no, and Jay said well you do now.  It looked like they were going to cook a Cajun version.

Wait, they're all doing travel n taste?  Is the winner getting one episode like Justin Warner?  Why harp on culinary skill and food authority when the skillset required is one step above a Secret Shopper that answered an in Local New Weekly.

• Love 13

I don't understand the obsession Food Network has with having their talent eat and then discuss the food they just cooked. What are they going to say? "Damn, I didn't add enough salt."  I have never enjoyed watching people eat, and when they do that, they don't actually show the food. Do a close up of the food so I can eat with my eyes, like the British shows do. 

• Love 10

Jay is going to go around the country and taste fried food?  I think we've already got that covered.

Eddie and his "What's up guys?"...I'm not a guy, but I am from Texas and I know about barbecue.  What happened to your "healthy" POV?

Dom, we get it.  You're a klutz in front of the camera, but with a little wine, it's all good.

What a cluster this has been.

Sorry, Rue.  I was looking forward to a REAL cooking show with cuisine I know little about, but would like to try.

• Love 11

And the hell?  Jay's pilot is for a travel n taste show?  You mean the kind of show they give to also rans like Adam Gertler and Tom Pizzica?  We're not even going perpetuate the pretense of finding a cooking star anymore FN?  Of course given how blatant they were with Dom, why bother pretending about anything else.

It sounded like Eddie was going to be doing the same thing but going to BBQ places. Which sounds like what Michael Simon is doing. Did anyone mention that before that they would be traveling?

Who was the woman using a wash cloth as a LBD? She must have raided Giada's closet.

I had turned the channel to FN and stepped away for a minute and missed alot. Guess I'm watching the rerun. Not sure I want to see Giada's reaction when Dom comes back.

What can I say about Matthew except blurg. How does he get through life with that attitude? I was hoping his sauce would suck.

• Love 1

What can I say about Matthew except blurg. How does he get through life with that attitude? I was hoping his sauce would suck.

He was cooking for Dom.   His sauce could have tasted like raw red onions and Scott Conant could have be judging and it still would have been wonderful.

• Love 12

Wow, Matthew, after your redemption on Star Salvation from being a dick, you went back into dick mode again...nice.  I was so hoping he was going to sabotage Dom, but like posted upthread, he probably did mess up the sauce but the judges weren't going say that b/c that would mess up their masterplan regarding Dom.

I was totally surprised that Rachel Ray was the surprise producer, I was sure it would be Guy Fierri as always since Alton has bailed on this show.

I loved Rachel being in awe of Eddie's physique, she is such a fun person who speaks her mind.  I couldn't tell from the strange looks from her as she was watching, but she seemed puzzled like wtf?!  I'm guessing she wasn't that impressed w/the final three, or getting hugged by a stranger/Jay.

What did Dom think, that Rachel was going to spend all day w/ him?  Uh...she has a life and other shows to tape sweetheart.

I honestly couldn't care less who wins, b/c I wouldn't watch any of their shows....well....I don't want Dom to win b/c I just can't stand him.

• Love 4

Sorry, Rue.  I was looking forward to a REAL cooking show with cuisine I know little about, but would like to try.

I wholeheartedly agree, whinewithwine!  The little bits of Rue we got tonight made me miss her all the more.  For what it's worth, her participation in FNS made me want to expand my knowledge of authentic African cuisine, particularly that of South Africa.  I've loved every restaurant experience I've had with African food, and thanks to Rue, I plan on making it my business to add more such experiences soon.

About the rest of tonight's show...  I can't say I was surprised to see Dom come back, and I wasn't particularly moved either way.  His agnolotti did look spectacular, but it's already been established (at least by Bobby Flay) that the guy can truly cook.  His presentations, though....  I hope this doesn't sound *too* snarky, but I just don't find him terribly bright.  For example, if you're making agnolotti and claiming it as your favorite pasta, wouldn't it be the most natural thing to address the question of why agnolotti instead of ravioli, its more popular cousin?  Is the difference merely in the shape?  Or texture?  Or amount of filling?  It seems to me that Dom knows Italian cuisine is special, but he's never taken the time to question why.  Oh well, if he doesn't end up completing the underdog victory trope that seems to have been laid out for him, he and Matthew can always open a place together, call it "Café Arrogance."

• Love 6

Well I'm obviously in the minority but I was happy with the way that turned out even if it was set up to be that way.  I can't help myself, I like Dom.  I think he has that little magic ingredient called star quality that Jay and Eddie lack.

Man, I haven't seen Rachael Ray in a while - Yikes, time's catching up with her.  She's not the cute young thing she once was - Of course neither am I, but wow, it hasn't been THAT long since I've seen her....My theory is she has a thing for big burly athletes.  I've seen her get all over them before.  Mr. Snarklepuss said Eddie had grounds for a harrassment suit after she got through with him!

I was sorry to see Arnold go, actually.  I liked him better than Eddie although I would have probably not loved it if Eddie went home just now.  I would not have cried if Jay was sent home, though.  Something about him just leaves me stone cold.  His delivery is perfect but he lacks a certain warmth that they usually like on FN.  I actually think he's worse when interacting with other people, which is something I could have predicted.  As long as he's in his "infomercial" shot he can pull it off, but having to engage in truly spontaneous give and take is not his strong suit, IMO.  Eddie on the other hand is just the opposite - He's better with other people than by himself.  Don is a little of both, actually, but then again I'm biased.

• Love 6

So all 3 of them are being shoehorned into travel and taste shows? That just sucks. There are approximately 80 of them on the air as we speak. At least Jay and Dom have a ready supply of restaurants to theoretically visit. It sounds like Eddie just got handed a cuisine by the producers. "You want healthy cooking with a Carribean flair? Too specific. You're from Texas. Do barbecue."

*sigh*

Still want Eddie to win. If I have to watch a suck tactic show, I want some eye-candy with it.

• Love 10

I thought it was interesting that Rachael was taken aback by Jay's hug (not that I blame her), but then was pretty much all over Eddie...touching his chest, kissing the top of his head (or did I imagine that...I've already deleted the show).   Double standard much?

ETA.. as they were about the to have the Star Salvation winner come out, I knew it was Dom, just from the gleeful look on Giada's face.  I was disappointed, but not surprised, it wasn't Rue.

Edited by mellyf

"You want healthy cooking with a Carribean flair? Too specific. You're from Texas. Do barbecue."

Eddie got the shortest end of the stick in terms of having to ditch his original idea and go with something they already have. I WANT the Carribean food, I WANT to know how to cook some.

• Love 10

I've put up with a lot of BS from reality show competitions.   A lot of reality show competitions.  I've seen really bad decisions, really bad seasons, obviously rigged outcomes.  I sat through the Gretchen season of Project Runway and the season of HGTV Design Star where it was later revealed that the winner was, like, one of the judge's next door neighbors.  Yet (maybe I'm a masochist) I don't think I've ever not finished a season of any competition I've started to watch.  And I'm not the kind of person who  runs around saying "I'm done" or "I'll never watch that show again" when a show does something outrageous.

But tonight FNS hit my absolute limit.  I will never, ever ever watch this show again.

This episode was toxic.  It's been clear enough (as many have pointed out here) that Dom has some "in" with FN.  "Fixed" would be putting it nicely.  But there are way too many things in this mix, not the least of which are:  1) disrupting not just the narrative of those who've been watching the broadcast show, but the actual finale, with some tangential online competition; 2) the image of denying a minority who's actually worked the full competition a pilot (yeah, sure, it came down to Eddie and Arnold about who wasn't getting a pilot-- gosh, judges, who do we want more, the gay guy or the black guy--  #$#@ you Bobby, Giada, and FN, and the horse you rode in on).

Also, how many thought to themselves the second they announced that Dom was the one back that Arnold would be out and Dom would be in?  I know the second they said it, both me and my husband made that call.  Gee, I wonder why it was so easy to predict?  

If Dom truly had been some good-on-camera contestant, instead of stinking up so many of the chances he had when he was actually on the show-- leaving dead-air, being consistently awkward on-air, making creepy and sometimes misogynistic moves when not on-air-- then maybe, maybe, maybe, they could have had even the tiniest justification for bringing him back.  But the blatant, transparent favoritism shown to Dom all season, the fact that he mysteriously made it as far as he did, and then gets to come back-- no way.  And particularly not when they have him step on a minority contestant's chances to do it.  No way, no how.  The second they announced Dom was staying and Arnold was going, we stopped the show (twenty minutes before the end) and deleted it next week from the DVR.  It won't be on the DVR next season.

Screw you, FNS.

• Love 19

Wow, Matthew, after your redemption on Star Salvation from being a dick, you went back into dick mode again...nice.  I was so hoping he was going to sabotage Dom, but like posted upthread, he probably did mess up the sauce but the judges weren't going say that b/c that would mess up their masterplan regarding Dom.

I think the show messed with things to make it LOOK like Matthew was trying to sabotage Dom's sauce - They were fucking with the audience, IMHO.  They know that the Dom fans out there would be on the edge of their seats hoping the "evil" Matthew doesn't screw him.  Dom tasted the sauce and said it was good so I tend to think it was - It certainly LOOKED good!

Honestly, I wouldn't watch Dom no matter how good he is on camera because I find the whole "Noow Yoik" accent and shtick really annoying.

Well I wouldn't watch Eddie or Jay because I find the "Texan" and "Bayou" accents and "schtick" really annoying.  In fact, I'm over country, BBQ and Southern food altogether on Food Network as it seems to me to have been almost completely taken over by those by now.  It's time us Northeasterners have a Food Network Star.  Pretty much the only star on the network that I know of who is a New Yorker is Bobby.

• Love 8

I don't get the Dom hate.  He has never once said anything even remotely misogynistic.  He is not a stereotype but a real person.  I have never once made similar negative and potentially insulting comments about the Southerners on any of these shows based on their being Southerners, although I well could have.

• Love 10

Well, at least it looked like both Jay and Eddie actually got the chance to cook.  Dom just interviewed and tasted at one of 15,000 Italian restaurants in the Naked City, right?  No actual cooking? Maybe they should start calling it FNRS for Food Not Required Star.

Wonder what they would have said if one of the Finalists was told to show up at the generic restaurant and said "You know, I'd really rather do a stand and stir like Damaris's or Giada's show.  My POV was planned for that, not for running around tasting all the fatty food in the world".

No way I can sit through the clip show next week so I'll have to catch up when I can cut it down to the five minutes it should take to crown Jay.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1

I don't get the Dom hate. He has never once said anything even remotely misogynistic. He is not a stereotype but a real person. I have never once made similar negative and potentially insulting comments about the Southerners on any of these shows based on their being Southerners, although I well could have.

"Just like a marriage ... The husband can't get a word in edgewise."

That's remotely misogynistic to me.

I don't hate Dom, but I hate that he's in the finale after stinking up nearly every presentation all season long, taking the place of someone who can cook and isn't terrified on camera.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 23

I was totally surprised that Rachel Ray was the surprise producer, I was sure it would be Guy Fierri as always since Alton has bailed on this show.

I'm not a fan of RR but I did like when she worked with the contestants at her show. I didn't like her at all tonight though.

Hugh from the BBQ place looked familiar. I'm thinking I saw him on Chopped.

I'm another one who wished Rue had come back. I thought she did a good job and her food looked and sounded tasty. And it would have been something NEW.

• Love 2

Soooo... all of the pilots were travel and eat?  Between FN and Cooking Channel there are like six that I could count (Sheryl Shephard, Anthony Anderson, Adam Gertler (sp?), Guy Fieri, Man-Food-Fire, Michael Simmons (sp?).  

Even though he seems like a nice guy - I can't stand Dom.  He has been inarticulate, uncomfortable, nervous, and incompetent in front of the camera all season. Yet he says he wants to have his own show??  Why would he try out for this if he is so scared of the camera and speaking???  He always seemed so surprised that he had to so something on camera or in front of an audience - THAT'S THE JOB YOU ARE TRYING OUT FOR, DOM!! Why are you so surprised?

How did he get so "good" in less than a week (in competition time)?

I don't know if I can even watch the end of this.

• Love 6

"Just like a marriage ... The husband can't get a word in edgewise."

That's remotely misogynistic to me.

I didn't find that misogynistic.  When a comedian says it people say "how true", not "how misogynistic".  I think he was just trying to be funny.  I didn't take it as a sign of any underlying misogyny.  Lord knows my women friends get together some of the generalizations we make about men sound far worse.  And I've been getting together with lots of women friends over the past several decades and none of them have been THAT PC, especially about the opposite sex.

• Love 5

What I have to say about Dom is this - Those who don't get him are not his audience, but those who do get him are who the network is aiming to please.  FN can't please everyone with their choice or they wouldn't  have so many different types of contestants with very different points of view and personalities.  That's why there's a Jay and an Eddie standing next to Dom.  It's not about race or ethnicity or part of the country with FN, it's what will bring them the things they want for the Network.  I don't think they've shown any favoritism towards Dom for reasons other than what they think he has to offer them and the network.  I think they see a personal magnetism in him, plus he can cook.  This BS about being perfect on screen is a cover for their real motivations, IMHO.  They're looking for star quality, or an "it" factor, not a perfect robot newscaster.  They can teach the camera stuff, they can't teach the "it" factor.

What does bother me, though, is that they chose to amp up the drama by exaggerating Dom's difficulties when the truth was probably somewhere in the middle and he wasn't quite as bad as they were making him out to be.  I think they did that to increase the drama when they brought him back from "Star Salvation".  Too bad it made some people dislike him all the more.  I don't think enough effort was made to show the audience why they liked him so much.  In years past I remember having more of a feel for what the judges were thinking about the contestants.  Now when they save someone it looks like bullshit because we don't see the full rationale behind it.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 8

What I have to say about Dom is this - Those who don't get him are not his audience, but those who do get him are who the network is aiming to please.  FN can't please everyone with their choice or they wouldn't  have so many different types of contestants with very different points of view and personalities.  That's why there's a Jay and an Eddie standing next to Dom.  It's not about race or ethnicity or part of the country with FN, it's what will bring them the things they want for the Network.  I don't think they've shown any favoritism towards Dom for reasons other than what they think he has to offer them and the network.  I think they see a personal magnetism in him, plus he can cook.  This BS about being perfect on screen is a cover for their real motivations, IMHO.  They're looking for star quality, or an "it" factor, not a perfect robot newscaster.  They can teach the camera stuff, they can't teach the "it" factor.

What does bother me, though, is that they chose to amp up the drama by exaggerating Dom's difficulties when the truth was probably somewhere in the middle and he wasn't quite as bad as they were making him out to be.  I think they did that to increase the drama when they brought him back from "Star Salvation".  Too bad it made some people dislike him all the more.  I don't think enough effort was made to show the audience why they liked him so much.  In years past I remember having more of a feel for what the judges were thinking about the contestants.  Now when they save someone it looks like bullshit because we don't see the full rationale behind it.

I have to agree with this.  There was one episode where Dom's take wasn't all that bad while we were watching him do it.  But the version they showed the judges was way worse.  I told my kid that they took all the bad things from his presentation and put it in his final reel.

• Love 2

A show with Jay cooking Cajun food would be kind of interesting.  Watching Jay travel around the country eating other peoples' fried food is not.

A show with Eddie cooking Carribean and/or healthy food would be kind of interesting.  Watching Eddie travel around the country eating BBQ is not.

Why push these people to define their POV if they're just going to get some random show dumped in their laps at the end?  Here's an idea: How about a show where Rue travels around the country sampling baked goods?  Sure, THAT makes sense!

Of the finalists, I think I'd only watch Dom's show, because it'll be about 2 minutes long, followed by 28 minutes of empty air once Dom runs away.

• Love 21
It's not about race or ethnicity or part of the country with FN, it's what will bring them the things they want for the Network.

I agree that it's all about what they want on the network to attract viewers, and I think that in determining that they consider the race/ethnicity and region of the people who are featured on the channel.  To me the network skews Southern, it skews white, and it skews male.  I can't break that down empirically, but I've gotten pretty good at predicting elimination orders on their shows based on how closely contestants fit into that demographic.  I'm not judging them for considering those factors...at least not more than I judge anyone else, because I think it's pretty standard in pop culture, and they may well be right when it comes to what their audience wants. 

I guess I'm also rejecting this idea that they're trying to offer different things to different palates, so to speak; I think they aim for a target audience and want that audience to stick with them through as much of their programming as possible.  They want me watching all night, not just popping in because it's my kind of chef, imho.  What I don't think they care about is whether I watch because I love it or watch so I can bitch about it online.

I was hoping for Rue, too, but this is probably for the best.  I'm not sure what kind of restaurant they'd sent her to.  I'm also cool with them focusing on a eating-based show, because at this point outside of daytime their shows are all about eating, judging, and occasionally hosting.  

I think Dom's storyline arc is a little hinky, but it's not like I feel anyone was particularly robbed this season (because the contestants weren't that great, imho, and the prize is...it is what it is) so to me it's not a big deal.  And really for me he's not so bad.  A little smarmy, but that could be fun on an eating show, or in small bits when he's a guest judge on Cutthroat Kitchen or whatever.

I'm just annoyed they couldn't make this contest more entertaining for me.  Maybe they should have kept Matthew around or something.  I think it's weirdly lacking in drama or fun, and I don't even look forward to hating it.

• Love 3

Did anyone else notice that when Dom put his hands up after the first challenge, he had a tattoo on his inner upper arm? I feel like we would have noticed it before... Were they covering it up with makeup before or something?

Edited by ThatItalianGirl
  • Love 2

Jay's killing it.

I liked Jay even more when, as he was walking down the street to the restaurant, a guy walking his dog walked by and Jay looked down and waved to the dog, probably said something too. I do the exact same thing! :-)

• Love 6

I wouldn't watch any of these people, the last watchable winner IMO is Demaris, Jay is just another one of these fat frat boy types that the network (and sadly sometimes) the audience loves.

He gives me the creeps. Am I the only one?

• Love 5